Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Orange Someone posted:

Hoping for some quick advice from anyone who's done the AIB or even the Army or RAF versions. Hell, I guess any advice regarding this sort of interview would be awesome.

Could you describe it a little more? I'm sure the US goons, officer type, (or at least me) would be able to give you some advice if we've got a little bit better idea of what exactly it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Quarterly Prophet posted:

How easy is it to establish residency in new states where you intend to live after serving? I'm trying to think long term so that when I apply for schools once I get out, I don't have to deal with paying the gap between in state and out of state tuition rates.

Depends on the state. Generally speaking you need to have a driver's license in the state, have your vehicle registered in the state, be registered to vote there, own/rent property there, or some combination of all of the above.

However, it's worth mentioning that many states have additional/different requirements between establishing legal residency and establishing residency for the purposes of in state tuition. I'd recommend looking on the Secretary of State's website for whatever state you are interested in and poking around the website of the school you want to go to...most (decently sized) schools' websites have a pretty good FAQ section on what it takes to get in state tuition there.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Alright, first thing that stands out to me...does the RN training pipeline have an official "six problem solving steps" checklist or any bullshit like that? Reason I ask is that over here, when you're in the more rudimentary stages of training they expect you to use that checklist (each service usually has its own version) whenever you're doing a leadership/problem solving exercise like the "bottomless chasm" stuff you described. This stuff is of course pretty much useless in the real military (at least in rote form...there is a great example of it being used inappropriately in the new Battlestar Galactica, with Lt Crashdown...but I won't get any further into that.) However, they generally do expect you to use it, even if you are only giving lip service to certain steps...for example, the first step in AFROTC's was "identify the problem." Even if the problem was blindingly obvious ("Get all of your team and these ammo cans from one side of the chasm to another") you still had to say "The problem is to get ourselves and these cans from here to over there" otherwise they would mark you down. Plus, since it sounds like this is a "induction" type selection thing, if you know something like that it shows that you did your research (i.e., you care a lot about getting in) and might set you apart.

On the "leaderless" task, try and step up to be the leader...but don't be a douche about it, which brings me to my next point. On the tasks where you aren't a leader, be a good follower. A lot of times in situations like this where you have a bunch of officer candidates on a team, you get the "too many chiefs/not enough indians" problem and everyone starts talking over each other and trying to take charge. You can set yourself apart by demonstrating that you know how to be a good follower as well as a good leader. Finally, if that does happen when you are in charge, don't be afraid to (politely) put them back in their place and reassert command.

Beyond that, good interview tips were pretty much covered. Just want to footstomp the confident without being smug thing, pausing before you answer, and having an idea of why you want to get into the program. Confident without being smug is important because, as I'm sure you've heard all the platitudes before, you can pull off a lot when you act and sound confident. That's what they're looking for in an officer. Pausing before you answer will do a couple things...it'll a) make you look smart, and b) hopefully make you sound smart by giving you a few seconds to format your answer in a form that sounds intelligent instead of verbal diarrhea. Finally, having an idea of why you want to get in...you don't necessarily need to have some super thought out answer, but you do need to have a little bit of thought behind whatever your reason is. For example, when I did my AFROTC scholarship interview, my answer for why I wanted in was that I wanted to serve my country. It sounds cliche, but it was the truth...however, I got away with that unoriginal of an answer because I had a "because" and then some :words: after it.

Last thing, it sounds like you're already doing this, but make sure you're getting the academic/test portion of things covered...those are easy points. Not sure if there are any of in the UK, but here there are study guides for the various military qualifying tests available in bookstores and such. Might want to look at grabbing one of those if you haven't already.

Hopefully that helped.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 31, 2010

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

miseerin posted:

Question: Is getting a degree from AMU (American Military University) worth it? How legit is that school?

My situation: I don't know if I want to go back to school, but if I did I would want to be a War History/Military History teacher for high school. I would rather work on the history part first before actually getting a teaching degree.

AMU is now regionally accredited, just like any other "real" University. Not trying to say it's automatically going to work for you, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Since it sounds like you want to go the "get a Bachelor's in something and then go for a teaching certificate/degree," I'd poke around and ask a few of the schools you could conceivably be doing the teaching thing at and see if they'll accept credits/a degree from AMU...the school that eventually hires you really isn't going to care where you got your bachelor's from, they're going to care who gave you your teaching certificate/degree. As long as that school is willing to accept credits/a degree from AMU, I'd say you're good to go.

However, I have to ask...are there many high schools out there that have a dedicated Military History teacher? That seems like more of a college level thing, as most of the HS history classes that I'm aware of tend to be more general stuff, like American History or World History or something like that.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

miseerin posted:

Thank you and Slippery.

I know the school I graduated from's Anthropology teacher got it to be a class by writing a mock-lesson plan/curriculum for a year, and they let it be a credited class. So it's possible.

That's awesome...wish they had that at my high school.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

SEMPER FUCKIN FI posted:

Ignore the name I have never served in any capacity and have no personal connection to the military but,

Is it true that certain military cadences make references to napalming Vietnamese women and children or is the modern military a lot more "politically correct" for lack of a better term?

Depends on the service (i.e., the Marine Corps is a bunch of cold blooded killers, whereas you might be less likely to hear a similar cadence in the Air Farce...over the top sarcasm intended), but generally speaking no, those cadences are still around.

Napalm sticks to kids, for example, may not be "officially" sanctioned, but I'm certain that it's still used.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Null Integer posted:

Is there any quick way to find out what ribbons and awards you have via NKO or an easily accessible source?

Dunno about NKO, but I know the Air Force has exactly that feature on our vMPF (thing available on our version of NKO.) Of course, it's generally not that accurate, but I guess it's better than nothing.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
This one's also pretty good: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1440317170980&ref=mf (requires FB, but worth watching).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

aunaturale posted:

How much free time do soldiers on base get? How much does this answer vary by regiment, base, and CO?

There was a poster stationed in Germany complaining how despite official hours his unit was running drills on weekends and getting up before schedule to start doing whatever it is US forces in Germany do and doing it until nightfall. People generally told him to suck it up and that he doesn't have it that bad.

Then you find all the nice people who manage to answer questions in these threads, talk poo poo in D&D, and even chill in BYOB. So I'm wondering how widespread full-day workdays are.

It's going to vary wildly by service, job (MOS/AFSC), and rank (edit: and everything else mentioned above). For example, I'm in the Air Force, in maintenance, and an officer. I nominally work 7-4 5 days a week, but I'm usually in from about 6:30/6:45 till 5/5:30ish, depending on what's going on. I've got guys that are gonna get called in on standby this weekend, so I'll probably pop by and see them. Contrast this with a junior airman in something customer service related (MPF, Finance) who probably works 8-4 5 days a week, period, or a TSgt in maintenance who's working 12s because of an exercise or inspection or stupidity on the part of someone else.

Then you've got the other services, which (as I said above) are going to vary considerably based on a whole host of factors.

Edit: Also, when someone's posting in the "middle of the day," worth remembering that depending on their MOS/AFSC, they could be a shift worker...I was working swings all last week, for example, so between the time difference (I'm in Alaska) and the shift change, I was posting stuff at noon Eastern time, but I was still working an 11 hour day.
So yeah, it's going to vary a lot. It's not like there's some set amount of hours everyone in the military is supposed to work.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

aunaturale posted:

I guess I should have been much clearer in my wording.

I'm obviously not supposing that somehow there is a norm for free time that hold for all jobs, branches, units, etc. I'm more curious that, given that you are given an official work schedule for your MOS and deployment, how much trust can you put in it?

...depends on your MOS/service, again. Seriously...for example, if you work personnel or something, you're far less likely to have something break and get to work a 14 hour shift when you were promised an 8, as opposed to maintenance where this happens more often.

Since you mentioned deployment, are you talking about day to day schedule (like the example above) or week to week/month to month whether you are deployed or not schedule?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Iron Squid posted:

So what do Combat Engineers (21B) do day-to-day? Also, what's their basic training like?

Phantom Spaceman is a 21A...he might be able to help you out. His contact info is listed over in the Military Sponsor/Info thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3317301&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post378924843

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Regicide posted:

If you are given 24 hour quarters, how long do you have quarters for? 24 hours, or until first formation the next day?

The way we do it is you get the rest of the day off from whatever day you were on quarters for and then the following day (that's the 24 hours). You show up for work normally the day after that. Of course, that's assuming that your original appointment is later in the day (it always is here, we don't have sick call, so the earliest you can get in to see a doc is usually late morning/early afternoon.) If you've got sick call first thing in the morning, I'd imagine that the 24 hours would be the day you went in and you'd be expected to show first thing the following day.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Slippery posted:

Plus, of all things, the good conduct medal -- so essential to military operations that it got shitcanned a few years ago and brought back

(personally I think it should exist, it's just that I've never heard anyone actively CARE about it)

Wait, did it get shitcanned across the services? I thought it was only the AF that did away with it, since pretty much everyone still in uniform qualified for it since we actually have standards as opposed to some of the other, more manpower desperate, services.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
One thing a lot of people overlook when they're buying boots (or any other specialty footwear) is that you might be wearing different socks when using that footwear than you usually do otherwise. Hiking socks, for example, tend to be quite a bit thicker than normal socks. So assuming that you're buying these and not just having them issued to you, make sure you wear whatever socks you plan on wearing when you're wearing these boots for real, not just whatever socks you happened to put on when you went to the store that day.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Anything Mx related, but you should just go Ammo and be done with it.

But if you really are serious about the minimal brainpower thing, definitely Security Forces. I saw two trucks running a speed trap tonight on base on the same road 200 yards apart. :wtc:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

SquirrelyPSU posted:

This is not directed at you, but generally throughout the enlisted I-want-to-go-to-college approach of most first term sailors dead-set on getting out. They describe themselves at length as being exceedingly poor at math, but dead set on going back to persue an engineering degree. All I can do is just shake my head at them and tell them that they have no idea what they are in for. Nor can I convey without condescension to them the task that lies before them. Its something I have struggled with during my time here.

Which is why if you suck at math (like I realized three semesters into an AeroE degree) you should go for a nice easy liberal arts PoliSci major. Just saying.

:smug:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hammeredspace posted:

Huh, it's my understanding that they do lifestyle polys on anyone interested in getting into a three-letter agency.

Yeah, that's what I've heard too...polys are more a civilian three letter agency thing than the military. That said, once you get beyond the garden variety almost everyone in the military has one Secret clearance, you usually have to sign a document agreeing to be willing to undergo polygraphs as part of maintaining the clearance. I haven't heard of anyone being given one, though.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rrail posted:

It's a pretty good representation of the bullshit military members put up with from their commanders and senior enlisted leadership in general. The mustache retardation made me feel right at home.

As an officer, my goal is to come up with at least one inane policy a month that rivals the mustache retardation in Generation Kill. By the time I am a Major I hope to have this up to one a week.

But yeah, serious answer is that Best Years of Our Lives is a GREAT movie and if you haven't seen it you should.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Allia posted:

Those commissioning programs always make me wonder -- are you allowed to double major in a subject that isn't listed? Like say you wanted to do AECP and double majored in Engineering (fits the requirement), and English. Could you do that?

Unless you're an academic stud and can convince the approving authority (usually Det commander in the case of AFROTC, dunno who it is for AECP) that you are, this isn't an option. Going beyond the standard 4 year plan isn't too hard, but you have to have a good reason, like I'm in an engineering program that is commonly pushed out to 4.5 or 5 years, not I want to broaden my horizons and double major in something that the AF has no vested interest in me learning about.

You've got to remember, the whole point of the military sending you to school is to get you the skills they deem necessary so you can do a job for them, not so you can learn about whatever interests you.

Allia posted:

Well I guess another question is do they chose/have any influence in what courses you take? If you take all your required engineering courses, then can they really stop you from taking English or whatever courses? I'd think that if you can keep up with the required course load in your technical major, that it wouldn't matter if you use the rest of your courses to take something else. Of course, I'm not the Education Office, so...

It's just something I've been wondering about, because almost all the programs are "do these majors," but never say anything about double majoring, and that seems pretty common.

I don't know about AECP, because it's outside AFROTC, but in AFROTC you have to review your academic program with a cadre member every semester. Like I said before, unless you are an academic stud and can convince them that you are, they're going to strongly discourage you from taking a lot of extra classes just because you want to. Most technical degree programs are jam packed as it is without adding additional courses...most programs require a couple electives, which give you a bit of flexibility for that underwater basket weaving course you really want to take, but beyond that you're going to be pretty limited.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Does this kick in when you're contracted? I never did this in 2 years as a GMC.

Hm, I did it all four years and I was only contracted for three (and only on scholarship for one semester :argh:). I know it's a requirement for contracted cadets, my Det might have done it for non-contracted cadets just because, I'm not sure.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Edit: As an officer, however, I naturally long for the days when I was saluted at the gate.

Slippery posted:

Also, I agree that as an officer I should be saluted at every opportunity :colbert:

Go to Sheppard. The (civilian) gate guards there salute officers. Weirdest loving thing I've ever experienced. And it's not like one or two of them are doing it because they're a former SFS Chief or something...all of them do it; we eventually asked one of them one day and it's established policy with the contractor.

Slippery posted:

How undermanned are they? Do you have any numbers? (serious question)

I am willing to bet they are not under the command standard but I could be wrong...

Based on my extensive interactions with SFS I'm reasonably good friends with an SF Lt up here, so by "extensive" I mean "extremely limited" I think it's more what you said earlier, that they're just being hit hard deployment wise so they're "undermanned" in the "don't have enough people actually on base to stand post" sense, not "undermanned" as in "don't have enough people assigned to this unit."

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

And yes Reggie I even referenced AR 614-30 which states that Korea is an overseas tour in case we were confused about the pacific oceans status as a "sea"

Edit: Too bad you cant wear that COA you got for a pcs award on your Class A's when home on leave

I'm overseas even though I'm still on the North American landmass. :smug:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

thetechnoloser posted:

I just had to help a couple who were going to Alaska.

poo poo was so stupid, having to get them all their security briefs and having their leave form signed off by an O-5 because they were going 'OCONUS'. loving Alaska. Seriously?

Hey man, we provide TOP COVER FOR NORTH AMERICA, so why don't you come up here and stand a post before you run around knocking our OCONUS status.

It's pretty stupid, but hey, at least I bank a sweet COLA every month on top of my ridiculous BAH amount.

Regicide posted:

I am getting an AAM. I got a CoA, 3 coins, a plague from Korean nationals for teaching English every week and an AAM for my time here overall. I'm actually a lot better at this military thing than you all think.

I can't stop laughing at this...and yes, making a juicy your "girlfriend" pretty much nets you the top score at this military thing.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Regicide posted:

plus support his girlfriend and 3 stepkids.

:siren: Let this guy in, he is already lining up nicely with the military's ideal junior enlisted soldier. Get that girlfriend to pop out a few more kids and he'll be on the hook for life. :siren:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rrail posted:

New company isn't going to deploy me for a couple weeks it's looking like (2-3 weeks) and I want to spend those 2-3 weeks in Colombia. What are my security clearance implications and must I report this international travel to my SSO?

Yes, you need to report it to the SSO, preferably before you go. The implications will depend on what he tells you. They can't prevent you from going, but there can be negative implications on your clearance if you travel without giving them a heads up, depending on where you go.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rrail posted:

Ok sweet. I am a little concerned because I am undergoing investigation for a Q Clearance currently and since the investigation is open I'm afraid it will complicate poo poo.

I wouldn't think so...at the most I'd imagine you might have to fill out a bit of paperwork saying something to the effect of "I went there on a pleasure trip and did not have any significant contacts with any foreign national."

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

Can someone recommend a book about the beginnings of OEF? Weeding through the poo poo written about a current conflict is a real pain in the rear end.

Ghost Wars by Steve Coll is pretty much a must read for everything prior to 9/11, like it says all the way from the initial Soviet invasion to September 10th, 2001. It is excellent, by far the best book I've seen on the topic. Absolutely no ":2bong: Rethuglican warmongers, man" or ":fsmug: drat those Lieberal Democrats and their terrorist loving ways," just the facts: good, bad, and ugly.

Not a Good Day to Die by Sean Naylor is excellent as well. It's about Operation Anaconda and the battle on Roberts Ridge, and doesn't pull any punches regarding the incompetence of the higher-ups in the U.S. command structure.

I know those might not be what you're looking for, since they kind leave a gap right during the initial invasion, but I haven't yet read any of the ones that detail the actual initial invasion...Horse Soldiers is about the Special Forces dudes that provided support to the Northern Alliance as they overran the Taliban. It's supposed to pretty good, but I've also heard that it's pretty hard over on the :patriot: AMERICA gently caress YEAH end of the spectrum, so take that for what it's worth I guess.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I would love to see a Brit walking around wearing a Wrestlemania cap with his uniform.

I could possibly make this happen later this summer.

Actually, I could make it happen tomorrow but I don't have a Wrestlemania cap easily accessible.

Talking to Brits from the RAF after they've gone to the BX and seen the plethora of firearms available for purchase is pretty hilarious...as is talking to them about the Eurofighter, JSF, the newfound alliance with the French, or pretty much any defense related topic.

"Right, I worked in the Eurofighter program office back in the late '90s...the plan was that it would be second in the world only to the Raptor, but it would only cost $35 million to the Raptor's $70 million, so we could still buy more of them...that's worked out pretty fuckin' well for the both of us."

"The JSF...I don't even know...I guess we're buying the -C model now, but it's not going to matter since the way our defence budget is going we're only going to be able to buy like three of them."

"I don't trust the loving frogs...they want in NATO, then they want out, then they want back in...they want in Europe, as long as they can control it. They're doing something in the kind of not really joke of a war we're "fighting" in Libya, but that's just because it's in their backyard. And we're going to be sharing a loving carrier with them. :suicide:"

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

FooGoo posted:

I have the orders, but they want a descriptive citation like how they have for the MOH, which I'm not even sure exists for a CAB.

That's kind of the problem...the AF "version" of the CAB (the AF Combat Action Medal) is a medal and not a badge, which means you're required to do a narrative when you're submitted for it, just like with any other medal (AF Achievement Medal, AF Commendation Medal, etc.) I'd like to think there is a way around this since you switched services, but it's probably going to be a little more involved than just going "It's a badge, I don't have a descriptive citation" (although that would be nice).

Godholio posted:

Badge!=decoration, correct? Hell, most decorations don't even have citations.

Edit: Yeah, like he said.

Most decs don't? All the ones I've seen have...you've gotta have something to read when you're handing it out: "SSgt Snuffy distinguished himself through outstanding achievement from ____ to ____ while assigned to the XX ______ ____ Squadron...bullshit about what they did to earn the dec...The distinctive accomplishments of SSgt Snuffy reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force."

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

In general (meaning I don't know of an exception personally) medals have citations, other decs don't. IE, the "normal" ribbons. They're still decorations, and I can't think of any that have citations. Expert, training, longevity, various unit decorations, etc.

Ahh, gotcha. I only think of medals when I hear "decs" since that's usually the only context you hear the phrase in. Like I said above though the Combat Action Medal is an actual medal, not just a ribbon, so it requires a citation.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rrail posted:

Hahahaha I told someone last night it was prob a leak. I could only find it in that post. It's on google so don't worry.

Not the first time poo poo like that's happened. I've seen a couple different code names that shouldn't be out in the public listed on job notices, with access to those programs being a requirement for being considered.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I figured I was going to have to dig in the JFTR; fortunately defensetravel.dod.mil had it in an FAQ on their site:

quote:

28. What is BAH-Diff?

BAH-DIFF is the housing allowance amount for a member who is assigned to single-type quarters and who is authorized a BAH solely by reason of the member's payment of child support. A member is not authorized BAH-DIFF if the monthly rate of that child support is less than the BAH-DIFF amount. The BAH-DIFF amounts, originally calculated in 1997, are updated annually based on changes in the Basic Pay tables. For more information contact your servicing finance office or consult JFTR, par. U10008.

29. I am divorced with children, what is my BAH allowance?

It depends on whether or not you have legal and physical custody of your children, pay child support, and/or live in single-type government quarters. If you have legal and physical custody of your children, then you are authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate if not assigned adequate family-type government quarters. If your former spouse has custody and you are paying adequate child support (at least in an amount of your BAH-DIFF rate) you are authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate if not in government quarters or BAH-DIFF if assigned single-type government quarters.

30. I am a Service member who is divorced from another Service member and shares legal custody of the child/children with the former spouse. May both members receive BAH with dependents?

No, both members may not receive a housing allowance based on the same dependent. When the former spouses share legal and physical custody of the child, each parent is authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate during the period the child is actually in the parent's physical custody. Both parents may not receive a housing allowance for the child during the same period. The rules governing member to member BAH are are found in the JFTR, Chapter 10 - Part C.

31. May I receive BAH if I am a Service member divorced from another Service member and do not have legal or physical custody of the child/children, but I am required to pay the former spouse child support?

No, A member is not authorized BAH or OHA solely on the basis of the member's child support payment when the child/children is/are in another active duty member's custody (including a former spouse), who is assigned to government owned/leased family-type quarters (does not include privatized quarters) or is in receipt of a with-dependent housing allowance on behalf of the child/children. For more information, see JFTR, pars. U10120, U10122, U10124, U10126 and U10206.

It includes JFTR references if you want to go digging in there. Basically what you are entitled to is going to depend on what sort of quarters you are living in, what sort of quarters your spouse is living in, how much child support you are paying, and what sort of custody arrangement you have.

For future reference for anyone else out there, pretty much anything to do with BAH/OHA, BAS, COLA, travel reimbursement, or any other allowances is found in the JFTR. It's a pretty useful document to get acquainted with, even if it is like 5,000 pages long. The JFTR is the final word on anything that is in it: if you can quote chapter and verse from the JFTR, whoever you're showing it to is going to have to do what it says, even if it takes them a day or two to figure that fact out. I used it to get one of my guys an extra amount of BAH when he thought he was going to have to pay for two separate residences out of pocket; like I said, it's a very useful reference to be familiar with.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

IntangiblePanda posted:

Reading about the F4 Phantom was illuminating, thanks. The wiki article lists F4 Mig kills by method, and shows that the late-added gun was useful. However, it also lists two Mig-17 kills via "maneuvering tactics." What the hell does that mean?

I have a badass mental image of F4's with tailing Migs intentionally navigating canyons or something ala Independence Day but this seems stupid.

As has been stated, it means the bad guys flew into the ground during the course of the engagement. A maneuvering kill is as valid as a solid guns or missiles kill. An EF-111 unarmed jamming aircraft got a kill during Desert Storm...on the opening night of the war an Iraqi Mirage F1 started chasing after the Spark Vark. It headed for the deck and pulled out at low level; the Mirage followed and failed to pull out. The Spark Vark crew was credited with the kill, flying an unarmed aircraft.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Red Crown posted:

They actually have been used in air to air combat! In the mid 90s an F-14 equipped with a 20MM Vulcan cannon blew another F-14 to bits during a training exercise because they had accidentally loaded it with live rounds.

Gonna need a source on this...it's impossible to get a live propellant TP or HEI round confused with the dummy rounds, and aircraft fly sorties all the time without any type of rounds on board. The only time you would load up is if you were planning on shooting something, either HEI for combat or TP for target practice.

Unless there's a joke here that I'm completely missing.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

Once again, I don't know poo poo about planes. They don't shoot incendiary rounds all the time do they?

There are three main types of 20mm ammunition: combat stuff, target practice stuff, and dummy. The dummy stuff is completely inert; it's just a hunk of metal in the shape of a 20mm round. It's primarily used for load crew training, to give the loaders rounds to run through the UALS/LALS and the aircraft without having them gently caress up training or combat rounds that can actually be used for something. Target practice stuff is a round loaded with live propellant and a completely inert shell (in the case of TP) or an inert shell with a tracer (TPT). It's used for banner shoots or other target practice where you need to fire a projectile but don't want to be spraying high explosives over the range unnecessarily. Combat stuff is either HEI (High-Explosive Incendiary), API (Armor Piercing Incendiary), or SAPHEI (Semi-Armor Piercing High-Explosive Incendiary). The differences should be self-explanatory in the name. Combat stuff is only used for that, combat (other than testing and some very limited familiarization shoots). HEI is by far the most common, usually the M56 round that has been around since Vietnam (no poo poo, some of the rounds in the stockpile here are from lots that were manufactured in the late'60s). API isn't used much these days if at all (I've never seen any), while SAPHEI is from the newer PGU series. It was designed to give increased performance over the M5x series ammunition. The problem with the PGU series is that it has a disturbing tendency to prematurely detonate, causing aircraft damage.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nillerz posted:

I'm deploying later this year. I'm a nasty girl. Is it possible that I can visit Japan without a passport in my time out? I mean, we got tons of bases there and stuff, does every soldier/sailor/airman have a visa and a passport? I gotta visit my wife's family (she's a jappo), but I don't know if I have enough time to get a passport before I'm gone forever. Also, can I do it with space available flights?

Yeah, not gonna happen without a passport. If you are on orders, some places let you enter the country on orders without a passport as part of the SOFA (I know at least Korea does; I'd imagine Japan is the same way) but if you don't have orders, gotta have a passport.

Shouldn't need a visa as long as you don't plan on staying past whatever the cutoff is (should be measured in months for a U.S. citizen traveling to a country like Japan), but you'll definitely need a passport to get in...you don't just get to magically skip immigration/customs even if you are traveling space-a.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 26, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nillerz posted:

Problem solved! Thanks, guys!

Next quick question, does anyone have any references or information on getting Space A travel done right?

AMC's Travel website is probably a good place to start.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Smoke Crack posted:

Eddie Slovik in WWII.

And he was the first one since the Civil War.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

AB posted:

Question about prescription meds. My private health provider has me on Valium. Other than bringing my prescription papers to drug screenings, do I need to do anything else in terms of notifying people? They're going to find out this weekend anyways, I have an SRC.

I'm assuming you don't have anything beyond a Secret clearance, but if you have a TS and/or are read in on SCI/SAP/etc then you should probably notify someone (usually a PSM or ASM type dude).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

front wing flexing posted:

Technically yes. But it's one of those situations that can easily bite you in the rear end for doing the "right" thing. Not reporting it to SSO is the better option as there is literally no way to get caught. Even if you get drug tested, you have a prescription so you're good. They're not going to check it with SSO.

The only way I could see this posing a problem is if you are still on the drug when it comes time for a reinvestigation...if you report it on your 86 like you are supposed to that will probably raise some eyebrows if your PSM/SSO is doing their job, although Valium is a pretty poor example for that since you generally shouldn't be on it long term.

Actually, now that I think some more about it, I don't think you would even be required to report Valium use provided you had a valid prescription...you might be required to report the reason you received the prescription, depending on what it was (you'd be required report treatment for alcoholism, but not report treatment for restless leg syndrome or whatever), but it's not like this is PRP where you are required to report every-loving-thing you take even if it's for a reason that has nothing to do with your ability to handle sensitive material.

• Locked thread