Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Orange Someone posted:

Got my Admiralty Interview Board in 2 weeks. 3 day interview in front of an admiral and two other RN or RM officers. Going in for Jungly (helicopter that flys the marines around) pilot. Last step before joining Intial Officer Training at Dartmouth.

Hoping for some quick advice from anyone who's done the AIB or even the Army or RAF versions. Hell, I guess any advice regarding this sort of interview would be awesome.

I completed a board interview which contained a panel in order to apply for Army Warrant Officer Flight Training. If it is anything like the Army, here is how mine went:

1. Walked into the room, general introduction, stated my name and what program I was applying for.

2. From there they went into my letters of recommendation(s). Asked how I knew the individuals.

3. Since I had previous aviation experience, we discussed how working in the civilian sector as a pilot would help prepare me for my Army career.

4. Asked a few questions about the airplane I was most current in (general systems info, just to guage my BS meter I guess).

5. Asked why I wanted to join the Army and leave civilian flying.

I was well received at the board, and they went on to recommend me and I made it into the program. Here is the advice I have to offer:

1. Sit down, make sure to unbutton your suit coat before you sit in the chair.
2. Make sure your hands are dry before you shake anyones hand, brush them off on your pants before entering. Nerves make some people sweat.
3. When you sit down, place your hands on your knees and keep them there.
4. Place your feet square on the ground and do not move them, fidget, etc.
5. Be confident in your answers but not a smug rear end in a top hat.
6. Have some reason other than "I WANT TO BE PILOT" when they ask why you want to serve. No poo poo you want to have one of the best jobs in the service.
7. Try to pause before answering each question, to show some sort of thought process went in before you open your mouth and poo poo out a bunch of information.
8. Answer the questions they ask ONLY, do not go off on a tangent about how your grandmother doesn't like cream in her coffee. If they want more, they will probe you.
9. Relax as much as possible.

Other than that, good luck. These are general suggestions that should help you in any type of interview situation. Really helped me out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

psydude posted:

I know you can use orders to terminate or suspend a cell phone contract, but does the same rule apply to internet service contracts?

It really depends on the service provider. I would just inquire with an email. My money is on that they will let you out.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010
Can anyone give me a blow by blow on reception. Do they draw blood, blood pressure, hearing, visual, etc...

BTW going to Ft. Knox.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010
Did a PT test in Future Soldier DEP and had a 290 PT score. Those kids looked at me like I was Zues. I certainly hope Basic Training is harder than what we are doing now. It's ridiculously easy. Only 2 out of about 15 of us can pass the PT test, not counting myself.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Hagetaka posted:

Expect tougher grading on the pushups in the real ones, but with a 290 yeah you don't really have much to worry about

I wasn't trying to brag, just stating what I have run into so far. Sit ups are the only thing I can't max. I have always been a runner, through school track, etc., so I've just been doing it longer than the recruits going in. I am at 11:50 for the 2 mile.

The thing that makes me wonder is that for instance we do a 2 mile run Tuesday and Thursdays. These kids can't make it more than 1/2 a mile before quitting and just walking the rest. They aren't pushing themselves, therefore plateauing. I really wish they would have had an earlier WOCS class so I wouldn't have to wait till August 24th to ship.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

sharkbomb posted:

Calm down, friend. Is it okay if I don't work during the short military-to-school gap after doing five years worth of bullshit for the Navy? Is that so wrong?

Depending on what state you are from, technically you could have been paying into unemployment insurance. Not sure on how military pay works but for instance NJ takes 0.3825% out of paychecks to help fund unemployment. You are guaranteed 6 months now along with a 6 month extension which is automatic. You will probably be able to get the max which is $420 a week, roughly given on what state you pull from. I can help you with the process if you have any questions. It's pretty straight forward though.

Ben Richards fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 14, 2010

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010
Here is a question:

Since I have SLP for my outstanding loans, should I start the military deferment process before I head to reception/bootcamp? I would hate to keep paying $700 a month on loans that are going to be paid off.

The loan companies state they need orders(which I believe my enlistment contract with school dates should suffice)and the necessary paperwork filled out.

Ben Richards fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 14, 2010

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Godholio posted:

I don't think those are the kinds of quick questions this thread was made for. But if I'm wrong, I'd like to see some credit card numbers, home addresses, and SSNs.

You're right. I'll edit it out.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Awesome Kristin posted:

I need help, my fiance might be getting shafted by his recruiter. He was supposed to go to MEPS today, but he has a scar on his head from when he was 15 months old that the recruiter said he needs documentation for (bit on the head by his family dog, in the hospital 4 hours, got some stitches, no lasting damage). He ordered the medical records 2 weeks ago when they told him that (they said it would take 7-10 days since they had to research it), and as far as we knew he was still going up today.

He called a week later and the recruiter said everything was fine, he just needed the medical records. Still nothing from the hospital. He called again 2 days ago (Monday) and couldn't reach anyone. He called yesterday and left a message and his recruiter never returned his call. He finally talked to him today and all of a sudden they have to send the records in before he can even go up. Also, apparently all they need is a statement from his mom about what happened. If that's all he needed, why would we bother ordering official records? Why wasn't he told before today that a note from mommy would be fine? Something smells like bullshit.

Part 2: My fiance got a 97 on his ASVAB, he wants to take the DLAB and EDPT before he goes to MEPS, but the recruiter says he can't until after he goes, and that he can relist his jobs afterwards. That doesn't seem right, since that's where he picks his jobs and signs his contract, correct?

Part 1 Answer: if they see a scar and you tell them you went to the hospital/had stitches, you opened up a can of worms. At that point you WILL have to jump through hoops to get to step 2. They need the note because obviously he cannot give an account on what happened and need a statement to go along with the incident. Not saying to do this but he could have just said he was unsure how he got the scar and he had it from childhood. They wouldn't have asked anything else but unfortunately he told them he went to the hosiptal and had stitches. This will in no way DQ him or hinder his progress granted it's just a scar.

Part 2 Answer: the recruiter wants him to go to MEPS first so he knows your fiancé will be able to qualify for service. He doesn't want to waste his time sending him for tests only to find out out he can't pass the physical. I had to go to MEPS 4 times and then to a flight surgeon before I got my flight slot. When he goes to MEPS, he will take the physical and leave. Then the recruiter will schedule his other tests. When he gets his scores back, the recruiter will see if his MOS is available and will project him for MEPS. He will then go to MEPS for an inspect which is height and weight, and swear in. At this point he will see his contract with desired schools.

Hope that helps. Nothing screwy going on, this is how the recruitment process is unfortunately, and I've been told just a taste of how the military will jack you around.

Ben Richards fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 16, 2010

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Awesome Kristin posted:

That helps a lot actually, thanks. We got the impression that MEPS is a one time thing and he would be sworn in there without having his other test scores, which seemed fishy. And I get that they wanted to have all the information about the scar, but the fact that the recruiter didn't mention that he wouldn't be able to go without a note from mom until the day he was supposed to leave is a little messed up. I guess we'll have to pester the poo poo out of him until he goes. Thanks again =)

Organization is not their strong suit. Expect more of "I forgot to tell you's..."

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Too Poetic posted:

Wait, are scars actually an issue? I have a scar on my forearm from when I was like 4 and there is no way in hell I'd be able to get medical records for that. It's not exactly something I could lie about either since it's a big scar and you can see where the stitches went as well.

Plan on enlisting Army if it matters.

Just tell them you have no medical data on it and no way of getting it. They will then have you fill out a form explaining what happened. Viola you are done. They will tell you they need you to get your records but if you stick to your guns no problem. You won't have any problem. Or just don't say shot about it, at MEPS they will document it, and it is no problem. Scars aren't a big deal.

For the flight guy...in the Army, if you are a strong candidate, an ETP(exception to policy) cam be given in order to get the program. Our cut off is 74 inches. I have heard of people as tall as 77 inches getting the ETP. It's basically a waiver. What we have to do is meet with the person who approves our medicals(the main dude) and sit in the aircraft showing him that height will not be an issue. Once you do it once and it gets approved, you're good to go. Not sure if that helped..

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Quarterly Prophet posted:

What MOS or rate are you going? How much effort do you think they're going to expend going to see if you lied about your asthma?

If you aren't doing something that requires a TS, they aren't going to get anything besides what you bring to Basic.

There is no national database. You would have to tell them the doctor and hospital you went to on specific dates. Most hospitals and doctors keep records for 5 years unless it was a surgery. Surgeries are usually documented for 8 years. If you do not make a copy of your medical records yourself at the time of the visit, chances are they won't exist when you actually need them.

It's all shock and awe to scare you.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

Odds of me being in Texas of my own accord and not under law enforcement custody:

0%

Austin is quite nice.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

GreenMeat posted:

They talk to the people you listed on your SF-86, and they ask them if there is anyone else that knows you well that they can talk to.

You should note that unless you are getting something above a secret, they will run local and national background checks along with a credit report. If no red flags come up, they will most likely never talk to anyone on that drat huge rear end form you have to fill out. Secret Clearance means absolute dog poo poo. Wow you can look at a confidential document that is only pertinent to what you are doing at the time. Great.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

themachine posted:

I have a quick question about obtaining a security clearance. I am not, nor have I ever been in the military. I work as an electrician, and am looking into getting a job with a construction contractor that works almost totally on government/military installations. For example, if they are building a new barracks building or something, I'd be the guy installing the light fixtures. Part of working for this company involves getting a security clearance, because of where you will be working.

I have exactly one black mark on my entire record, a DUI that I got. To put it short, I was showing off in my truck, hit a tree, cops arrive, I blow a .1, the rest you know from there. No one was hurt, I cooperated fully, and no property was damaged (other than my truck). How will this weigh on getting my clearance? I know it's not going to help or anything (duh), but since it is only a misdemeanor, and a stupid one at that, will it stop me from getting cleared? I've had people tell me all sorts of things, ranging from "You got convicted of a crime, no clearance for you forever" to "Just make sure you tell them about it ASAP, and you should pass". Hopefully, someone in the know here can tell me what to expect.

You will have absolutely no problem getting one at all. You will need a spnsor in order to get the clearance request, whcih in this case would be your employer. I know several people holding clearances even above secret who have DUI, lovely credit, etc.

I wouldn't think twice. Just admit to it, write it down, and no one will care.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Armyman25 posted:

Saw this posted in DnD, doesn't a Major in the ARNG open himself to UCMJ action by appearing on a White Supremecist radio show and accusing the president of treason?

When did this happen? I'm curious as to how it plays out. Knowing the UCMJ the minimum punishment is probably death.

e-Durrr I can read. July 10th.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

themachine posted:

Good to hear, that's pretty much what I expected. If they look into it, or if it's needed, I can provide proof that I handled the whole thing in what I consider the ideal way. I paid all my poo poo ASAP, did my community service at my old gradeschool and even did a couple extra hours, attended all my classes ASAP and passed them all, and never once missed a probation appointment or had a problem passing any sort of alcohol/drug test.

Won't even matter. All they are looking for is that it is all wrapped up and paid off. You are good to go.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

25 lighters posted:

I was on disability from a surgery about a year before I swore in at MEPS... I For some reason just remembered that I answered no when they ask if you ever had disability. Should I worry about that or am I just being paranoid?

Army, 68W no security clearance, if that matters.

Ask your recruiter.

Ben Richards fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 26, 2010

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Armyman25 posted:

I am thinking of going AD as a Warrant, just wondering about some of the schedule.

Are you a member of APTAP.ORG? It has a lot of current Active Duty WO's on it. I believe I read a post over there where the guy stated that he had to report only once a month for PT formation and that was to help organize the event. That's what he said verbatim so I don't know what that really means.

I know the AD WO Pilots do not do any PT formation at Ft. Irwin. They are mostly Air Ambulance and fly the Lakota's (EC-135). Not sure if that has an affect on why they don't have to do PT. (The gentleman who told me this was at my flight physical. He was a CW3, not sure if rank has anything to do with it either)

I'd like to know the answer as well if you find something different.

(APTAP = Army Pilot To Airline Pilot)

(*Disclaimer - I am not in the military yet, and leave in August. All of my knowledge comes from others experiences not my own)

Ben Richards fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

hammeredspace posted:

Got a supplement that contains DHEA. I understand it's a type of steroid. As ever I can never get a straight loving answer out of Google whether or not this stuff turns up on piss tests or is even outright prohibited. Anybody got the goods on this crap?

No idea but I'd like to suggest an alternate. Estrogen blockers are very effective and will not interfer with drug tests and such. Look into Nolvadex XT. It should provide similar gains. Also double check it's ingredients but I'm confident you'll be good to go as it is a supplement allowed for use by college teams and pro sports, to my knowledge.

• Locked thread