Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Anyone know if the rewards program on USAA's credit cards is any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Can anyone tell me if this is accurate?

I've heard one Skyking message already.

I'm going to say that anyone who can knowledgeably answer questions about nuclear force communications isn't going to post about it on the internet.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Chemystery posted:

Currently in the process of dealing this PSD and the Property Office with regard to them paying me to move all the way back to California (address of residence). From what I gathered, the Navy will pay me for my move from OCS (Newport, RI) to NASC (Pensacola, Fl) and then also pay me to move back to my home of residence (California). Once I get the specifics, I can answer to that.

I am sure I missed a few more details, but that is my story in a loving nutshell. Basically, 8 months of AD with an Honorable discharge and all that entails. Ask away if you guys are still curious.
Yes, the DoD will pay for your terminal move back to Cali. If you want to go the DIY route, it may take a while to get paid. On the other hand, if you have a POV and are willing to drive, FL->CA will be a lot of money.

I know you're probably torturing yourself with "what-ifs" right now, but I can tell you that the grass is not greener on the other side. I washed out of my first training pipeline, successfully reclassed, and now pretty much hate my job. Even if you had been able to fight through your airsickness, a lot of the Navy NFO field is in the back of P/EP-3s right now, and if initial fight qual made you airsick you would have been loving miserable in those planes.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Carteret posted:

The dust cover looks weird.
Also no brass deflector, no holes for pins (could be the lovely picture) and generally a mish-mash of odd parts. I can certainly see something like that coming out of the very back of an arms room, but the more likely answer is Airsoft.

VVV The original KAC rails aren't free float.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 10, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
As far as I know, your clearance would be current. Now that you're separated, you would no longer have a "need to know" (which is the other half of getting access to classified material) but if you went into a contracting job and they looked you up in whatever that system is called your clearance would still be valid until it expires. "Suspended" is when they temporarily remove your clearance during, for example, an ongoing investigation. "Revoked" is when it's taken away forever because you've been A Very Bad Boy.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

genderstomper58 posted:

i'm a loving sperg for recognizing that
Don't worry, I immediately knew what it was too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Plinkey posted:

Anyone have experience with ENJJPT?

My sister just got a slot and I'm trying to find out more about it but there isn't too much info online.

It used to be a guaranteed fighter slot, but that is apparently no longer the case. I believe they all still do T-38s. The syllabus should be more or less the same as any other UPT base, just with a higher chance of having Euros in your class: I'd check the various UPT megathreads on BaseOps.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

davey4283 posted:

poo poo. I wonder if that can be a deciding factor for an employer. It's probably cheap though.

Secret is active for 10 and TS for 5 as long as you are enrolled in a program that uses them. Two years otherwise. The reinvestigation is no cheaper from the contract investigator standpoint, merely cheaper in that you are less likely to have committed an adjudicatable offense in the last 3 years and are therefore less of a risk.

EDIT:

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

honestly if you had to ask if that was a scam and whether or not you should sign it you probably deserve to sign it
But then none of us would be here.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 16, 2014

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

How do the branches of the military coordinate? Like paratroopers, for example. Is the aircraft and pilot provided through the Air Force or is it all in-house?

There are dudes called Liaison Officers (LNOs) whose job is to coordinate between different services or between the services and the joint command element. So an army paratroop brigade will actually have an Air Force guy attached to HQ who coordinates for their airlift/airdrop needs.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think you quite get how logistics work, but that's not a slam on you, most policymakers and frankly a lot of people in the DoD don't get it either. To answer the easy questions, there are a few different types of fuel that you're concerned with: automotive gasoline, diesel fuel, and jet fuel (which is mostly kerosene.) I can get into more details on the differences, but it doesn't really matter for this discussion. Generally, an engine designed for one type of fuel doesn't work well with the others. For example, gasoline in a diesel piston engine is no bueno. There is no such thing as "civilian" versus "military" gas except that military fuels usually require additives like anti-icing and anti-fungal agents according to spec. These generally don't affect the functioning of the engine. The army, for the most part, runs on diesel. Humvees and MRAPS both use it, and it's widely available in the continental United States because it goes in truck, heavy vehicle, and some car engines. According to Honeywell, the Abrams' turbine power plant can burn just about anything. The problem becomes one of scale; an army on the march consumes a lot of fuel, and even draining the tanks of an interstate truck stop isn't going to be enough to meet the needs of an armored division for very long. Most army formations have logistics vehicles like tanker trucks that can follow the main force and resupply it with ammunition and fuel between battles. This is what we did in Iraq, and outrunning that logistics chain was a major problem. There are non-military fuel reserves in the United States, some in government hands and some belonging to large oil and gas companies, so the Army would probably use those in an emergency by sending convoys of tanker trucks. It is possible to resupply fuel by air, but it's inefficient and expensive, so we generally try to avoid it.

The larger problem is that any battle capable of pushing an American division off of its home base is going to be positively apocalyptic, to the point that finding fuel is going to be just one of a thousand pressing issues. Those bases are where the army keeps all of their ammunition and spare parts and repair depots and testing sets and all the other things that make a modern military run. While most state-side bases aren't set up for defense and security the way overseas bases are, it would be extremely important to protect those resources. If the Army has to retreat suddenly, they're pretty much screwed unless they can find another base that has those things. If the Army is forced to vacate the base before the fighting front reaches them, they could take a lot of that stuff with them, but again any scenario where the US Army is being forced to retreat inside the United States is going to be so shocking and wide ranging that the fuel situation is going to be dictated by what is actually happening.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Spermy Smurf posted:

This is all great info, this is not a 100% factually accurate military book but I want it to be ballpark anyway!
I don't know what degree of authenticity you're going for, but if you want a cheap way to explain why the army still has gas, you can have one of the officers say something like, "we've sent a convoy to the ExxonMobil/ConocoPhillips/Chevron refinery in [google the location of one close to the base you're using]. Our emergency plans say they have xx.x million/hundred thousand gallons of diesel on average in their storage tanks."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 1, 2014

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

darknation posted:

What's the general perception or opinion foreign troops have of Australian Special Forces (or AU/NZ serving in general)?
Loyal, competent, trustworthy, and dependable. Can be counted on to follow through on assignments & not gently caress them up. Party hard. Do moustache march in November.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FAT BATMAN posted:

If I have a friend deploying to the UAE, and I want to put together a care package that has useful stuff, what would be some good things to send her?

The UAE isn't exactly a FOB in Helmand, she can probably buy anything she needs at the BX. Baked goods, Trader Joe's trail mix and non-lovely coffee were what I was happiest to get. Email her a week after she lands and say you're sending cookies, ask if she wants you to put anything else in the box.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

It's all a result of inflating regular job performance into achievement.

More like the people who set policy being upset that the people implementing policy get more medals and deciding to fix that.
Only explanation I can see for why there's a "defense" version of the distinguished, superior, meritorious, and commendation medals that is superior to them.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 21, 2014

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
What exactly is a "non-traditional" exit?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ThisGuy posted:

Sort of curious about how accurate a movie like zero dark thirty is. Can someone point me in a direction where I could look at this more?
I'm afraid most federal bureaucrats look nothing like Jessica Chastain. Sorry.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Well I meant female soldiers, actually. Would the military provide fertility services to perserve her eggs if she was concerned about becoming infertile or otherwise incapable of carrying children due to injury on the battlefield?
Generally, no. If you have a preexisting medical condition or your Primary Care Manager writes a really good referral recommendation, you can probably get them to pay for it, but this is true of everything up to and including boob jobs. For general existential angst about deploying to a combat zone, the typical treatment is 400mg of Harden the gently caress Up. Most women worried about having babies and deploying take the easy route and get knocked up, which makes you ineligible to deploy.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
A combat tour? Zero.

Good luck with your novel.

EDIT:

Benny the Snake posted:

I seem to recall a news story a while back where (male) soldiers were having their sperm frozen before shipping off to Iraq. If I remember right, this was before or during the begining of Operation Iraqi Freedom and their fear was that the Iraqis would use the same gas that was used during the Gulf War which could cause inferitlity. Anybody remember that news item?
Military urban legends thread is thataway.

I'm certain some people were dumb enough to believe that, but the government won't pay to freeze your jizz because you're nervous and gullible. Those guys were almost certainly paying out-of-pocket.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 21, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Wait so paratrooper's don't these days? If not, I'm gonna ask the military history thread then. I'm actually taking a stab at the military sci-fi genre so I'm wondering if I could base hard drops on paratrooper ones.

The last time the US Airborne did an opposed airdrop was in 2003, and that was only opposed in the sense that the Special Forces who actually seized the airfield opposed having to park all their helos off field so that Colonels could get DFCs and bronze stars for their jump wings.

If you're writing loving sci-fi I would stop worrying about making it realistic to modern military experiences. Unless you're going to write 100 pages about scraping carbonization out of laser guns and police calling e-cigarette butts from the dropship pad.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 21, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

When did he serve and what branch was he in?
The 759 tricolor in the upper left is an army style patch, looks like 759th Tank Battalion, but that would place Gramps in WWII, not Korea. That would make sense with the Armored branch pin too.

Godholio posted:

a Cold War Victory Commemorative Military Medal which isn't an official medal, but is apparently fairly popular.
That's why I couldn't find the drat thing. I was all over the Army heraldry and decorations sites.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 29, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Anyone know what the branch pin on the right is? I'm not up on Army uniforms.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Left pin is Armor, right pin is US for the good old USA

Nice. I'd guess the red diamond is a squadron marking of some kind, but Google hasn't been helpful.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

anne frank fanfic posted:

hahaha grampa is a lying old gently caress who might have actually possibly stepped foot into the physical country of korea at some point but probably just to gently caress hookers as he filled his love me box with PX fake-medals and heraldry swords

At least he did a nice job lining them up. Whatever subcontractor makes those things is super inconsistent about length.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The process to get hired as an outside instructor, particularly since you are a member of a foreign military, will take longer than it will take you to complete your Paramedic studies. Also, "You guys suck, pay me so I can show you how it's done" is an attitude that only works when you're pitching a new management program to mid-level bureaucrats.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

I have heard there is a stereotype with Second Lieutenants being very bad at Land Nav. Is this actually true? Or is this confirmation bias and that Second Lieutenants are the ones who are most often tested and therefore the most often sucking? Is it possible that most people in the military just really suck at Land Nav?

It's confirmation bias. No one ever remembers that time their LT got them to the point on time, but they never forget the time the guy in charge got them lost. Junior enlisted also tend to grossy overestimate their own judgement and competence.

Most people aren't great at land nav, the military isn't good at teaching land nav, and they have a bad habit of using outdated maps for training, which doesn't help.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Also you can be absolutely certain that the contractor employing said Indians/Pakistanis/Nepalis is cheerfully exploiting the poo poo out of them thanks to lax oversight and non-existant local laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
gently caress that, the first time an NCO salutes you, pull out a moist, folded one dollar bill and slide it into the elastic of his underwear while maintaining eye contact.

• Locked thread