Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Is it actually worth buying a copy of the Ranger Medic Handbook and studying it before I ship? Granted I'm just riding a plain 68W contract, it still seems like it might help. Also I figure that if I'm confident after a serious gut check during BCT/AIT (recruiter wasn't really helpful on if/when Ranger batt recruiters might show up during IET), actually get through RASP and am selected, I might not be as blind-sided by the SOCM course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

iceslice posted:

It won't help. SOCM is so fast, and so advanced that its just a waste of time. They also don't use any of that material to teach from. The Ranger medics do a pre-course, after RASP, to help train up and weed out their medics prior to sending them to SOCM. Because of this, they have an extremely good pass rate as a unit. Don't worry about that, they'll give you everything you need to be successful or its just not for you.

Instead work on maxing your PT test. At the end of basic they'll be looking for volunteers, and the ones with the highest PT scores go first.

Wow, perfect answer from the dude I was actually hoping would see it. Follow-up, then: Any real idea of the top PT spread? Anecdotal bullshit, limited sample size and all that, but the average fitness of the dudes I saw at MEPS was goddamned abysmal.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Roving Reporter posted:

Shoot for over a 300 and make sure your rucking skills are quite good. Expect PT 2-3 times a day there, plus smoke when you mess up. 6,8,10,12 mile rucks (the 6 mile is more of a ruck run). Plus there is the board at the end where they evaluate your performance and actions throughout the entire course.

Regiment is trying to slowly move towards the 18x pipeline style of getting guys. Now they're even sending guys to Pre-Ranger and RS right after Airborne/RASP.

OSUT-->RASP-->Airborne

I was wondering more about PT score spreads for IET, like before even getting voluntold for RASP. Then again I was probably going to ask about RASP anyway, so that works.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

iceslice posted:

The grading standards at Basic/IET are pathetic, and their workouts are a joke. You should be 275+ easily, but figuring out how to push near 300 isn't difficult. I guarantee the standards will be enforced at RASP, so your goal should be perfect push-ups and scoring a 300. If any of the dudes I work with don't score 290+ they're considered a "failure" and are counseled. There is only one group that I've met that treats physical fitness more seriously then these guys, and for good reason.

Sounds good. If I can't even hit 275+ for whatever reason by the time the opportunity arises to get voluntold for RASP, I'll bide my time until I hit E-4 and can put a packet in for Selection. And by bide my time I mean do sprint training until I pass out, study land nav, and sacrifice a virgin on the summer solstice to be granted whatever the magical version of GPS is.

Paradise Lost posted:

Otherwise you'll get sent to the 82nd and we'll get to listen to you argue with the 18x dropouts

68W on my contract, Momma Ty didn't raise no fool!

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use a pair of NB Minimus in (Army) IET? I know the sergeants major have all kinds of rustled jimmies about them funny lookin' hippie toe shoes, but one of the recruiters at the local station said her Minimuses (Minimi? whatever the gently caress plurality) were nixed too. I'm curious if it's just something the local command is being all cunty about, or if I'm about to drop $100+ on a pair of shoes I'm only going to be able to use for 4ish months.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

If a loving Recruiter can't use them I'd be less surprised if Aliens flew down to earth tomorrow and cured all disease and suffering on earth than if you were allowed to wear anything other than the ones the let you buy at AAFES at reception, let alone toe shoes.

I was asking because while I've seen the Vibrams thing on paper, the only thing I've heard about single toe-box minimalist shoes being banned was from this one recruiter.

quote:

2. THERE ARE A VARIETY OF MINIMALIST RUNNING SHOES AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AND WEAR. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, ONLY THOSE SHOES THAT ACCOMMODATE ALL FIVE TOES IN ONE COMPARTMENT ARE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR. THOSE SHOES THAT FEATURE FIVE SEPARATE, INDIVIDUAL COMPARTMENTS FOR THE TOES, DETRACT FROM A PROFESSIONAL MILITARY IMAGE AND ARE PROHIBITED FOR WEAR WITH THE IPFU OR WHEN CONDUCTING PHYSICAL TRAINING IN MILITARY FORMATION. THIS CHANGE WILL BE REFLECTED IN THE NEXT UPDATE OF AR 670-1.

That reads like it specifically allows shoes like the NB Minimus, Saucony's minimalist offerings... I think you can see where the confusion is coming from.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

old dog child posted:

I was allowed to use my own shoes (Nike Frees) at basic, but I saw a dude get his Vibrams confiscated even before the ban. If you want to wear your own shoes, you're better off bringing a brand new pair that fits the criteria. They can't make you buy a pair from the PX, and if your shoes are in good enough condition, then you'll be able to get away with using them.

Sweet. The entire reason I was planning on buying a pair of NB Minimus was they're visually almost indistinguishable from normal shoes unlike my Vibrams, but at the same time they don't have dick for heel drop.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

old dog child posted:

Just make sure they're brand new because DS like to use any excuse to gently caress you over.

Guess I'll throw them on just to test the fit and make sure they won't tear my loving feet apart then back in the box they go 'til September. I'm mentally preparing myself to be hosed with though, because if the recruit demographics that I've seen pan out, I'm going to be roughly half again as wide as almost everyone else. I take solace in the hope that I get to knock someone out with a pugil stick.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Oxford Comma posted:

You should also buy your own combat boots right now. The drill sergeant will be so impressed with your gung-ho attitude, he'll probably give you an extra stripe and let you sleep in!

I've had people call me lazy, irresponsible, and accuse me of getting an almost child-like enjoyment out of being (relatively) big and strong. But gung-ho? What's so hooah about wanting to beat some dudes senseless with pugil sticks? More to the point, who the hell doesn't think that's pretty much the best day ever?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Cryogenic Jesus posted:

you can't wear glasses for pugil sticks.

In that case, I may have slightly overestimated my chances. Aim at the little blob on top of the big blob and swing for the bleachers?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

"We have to get everyone in for FS Training tomorrow. If you have a issue being here 1500 i need a call. With the heat we will be in the gym, then we got a couple classes to knock out"

Is there some reason why I shouldn't be deleting these texts? I'm giving the dude my "Hi, I'm not in jail/in the hospital/etc" call every week or two and I haven't heard word one for completely blowing off that poo poo, but you never know. More than likely the uptick in hooah hard-charging bullshit is him trying to impress the new SFC they've got running the place, although the dude is a lot more touchy-feely than the last one they had holding down the fort.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Jesus gently caress, that's retarded. While I'd legitimately feel bad if my ditching came back on this guy because he's been nothing but cool, I've got better things to do. Like sleep 12 hours a day, lift, beat off, and 'sperg over video games.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

For active duty is the "primary residence" clause of the VA home loan backing just for your home of record, or your actual where-you-currently-sleep-at-night home?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

vacation in merica posted:

The VA loan can only be used for a primary residency you actually reside in, it can't be used for something you're planning on renting or anything like that. It has nothing to do with your HOR.

I was afraid it was something like that. Was planning on doing it for my (retired teacher, SS-collecting) mother since she's been haunted by poo poo credit for like a decade and a half after the incredibly messy divorce with my father. The basic idea was so she can help pay down the mortgage instead of just renting and throwing her money down a bottomless pit. Guess I can scratch that one out.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Anybody want to chime in on how awesome/lovely Osan is? Army POV would be nice but just a rundown on the area would be awesome.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

not caring here posted:

You are not at Casey / Hovey. You are Yongsan or south. It is a veritable paradise compared to the north.

gently caress you.

Pretty much what I'd figured. All the dudes I know shipping to Casey, once they found out my orders changed from Hood to Osan, won't talk to me anymore.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Vasudus posted:

It's unlikely that you'll be able to switch anything but who knows, it can happen.

Here's a tip for Korea: Spend as much time possible off post. It's going to be hard since you'll be out in the field for at least 4+ months out of the year though. Korea is a beautiful country with pretty awesome things to do. Get off post.

Got my orders changed from Hood to Osan in like 3 days. I am that guy. On a related note, any advice for after I get to Korea on Monday? Tales of how lovely in-processing is?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Just Dont Look posted:

Osan is pretty good! I assume you're going to be with the Army in Osan? If so, it sounds like you'll probably be going to 35th ADA. I've spent the last few days getting NIPR into their brand new building.. so you'll have that going for you!

I'm a DA Civilian over at Humphreys, but hit me up on PMs before/when you land and I can help you out.

Got my pinpoint today to Suwon, pretty sure this is gonna be an amazing year or two.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

When staying in a barracks as an enlisted, what's the main expenses to plan for out of your pay?

How much would an E-1 (2, 3) plan to have left after main expenses each month?

Finances scare and confuse me, and the first thing I learned when looking into the military is never believe what anyone who talks to you before you're actually shipped out says, if it sounds too good.

Hahahaha, financial planning? As lower enlisted? As long as my phone and internet are paid, the rest goes to fuel raging alcohol and Steam addictions.

Yeah I put away like $300+ a month, but still. I'll be damned if anyone tells me I can't act like a soju-soaked manchild for a few years.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I got to my first unit when I was 18, around mid November. I had what would be considered a drinking problem to the outside world before valentine's day.

Getting sent overseas accelerates this, or at least being in Korea does.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

So... anybody know the (questionable) legality of transporting certain medical equipment, i.e. my hangover-recovery IV backpack, via commercial air? I kinda wonder what the Koreans at Incheon Int'l would make of it, much less the TSA.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Fenrir posted:

it's some weird shiny thing for people who just don't know how much it sucks.

Ding ding ding.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

davey4283 posted:

I'm interviewing for a Lockheed job on Monday. The job requires a Secret clearance. I got my Secret back in 05 and have been out for 3 years so its inactive now.

I want to verify that Secrets expire after 10 years so this will hopefully only be a reactivation and then renewal since it has only been 9 years since I received it.

Also how long do reactivations typically take with no hang ups?

Aren't Secret clearances just basically a run through NCIS and a credit check?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Gooble Gobble posted:

Quick story then a question: About 2 years ago I hurt my back while doing some platoon PT. Went to the doctor and got xrays and referred to physical therapy, but because I was reclassing and going to AIT soon (2 months after injury) I dropped the ball a bit. After a couple months my back wasn't in constant pain, just every now and then it hurt so I never bothered to get it checked out further. Fast forward to a month or so ago and my back is in constant pain, sometimes worse than when I first hurt it. I went to the PA and he took a look at my medical records from 2 years ago, told me I had some scoliosis in my lower back (the other dr never told me that) and prescribed me motrin, flexeril, and stretching then sent me on my way. Now that I think about it, it wasn't exactly the outcome I would have liked. I know it's partially my fault and I may have unintentionally downplayed the amount of pain since I suck at deciding on the 1-10 pain scale.

My questions: To what extent can I demand certain procedures? I would at least like new xrays that aren't 2 years old, but my current PA showed no interest in doing them. Also, the fact that I was never even told about the scoliosis kind of imparts some distrust in Army medicine. Can I just go in and immediately request an off post referral?

Hit your PA up again, get an active referral to physical therapy. The guys there are a lot better about getting imaging and serious in-depth diagnostics done. You can be completely up front about it when you go in there, just tell them that you don't want to start the therapy until you actually have up to date imaging for your back.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Anybody done the whole VA-backed mortgage deal while riding that sweet, sweet Post-9/11 gravy train as their sole income? It makes gently caress all sense to throw my money on a trash fire by renting if I can find a nice $100k-$135k single family in a decent area, given ~$2k/mo BAH rates. Credit's good, expenses are low, I'll be staying in the area for the foreseeable future, and I've got a dependable friend I've known since we were kids to help defray costs with a little rent money. I'm just wondering how it goes over with potential lenders when you've got potential guaranteed income, but not actually employed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Delizin posted:

When I applied for my mortgage I only listed my VA disability money and was approved instantly. I'm not sure how they would look at the post 9/11 money since it is only for while you're in school and runs out after a few years, but I'd still give it a shot.

That was exactly my line of thinking; it's guaranteed money but unlike disney disability funbux it's 36 months instead of for life. Come to think of it though, I'm retarded. That dependable friend has a sister who's an underwriter with a mortgage company, this would be a great thing to ask someone who actually deals with this poo poo all day.

• Locked thread