Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
How does National Guard service in the US mesh with college? Specifically, are there any 'ARE TROOPS' federal laws or anything that make sure you don't get written up or whatever for going to weekday drills that the school have been warned of well in advance?

The reason I ask is I'm going to college in the US from January, but as I'm a reservist on what was supposed to be a frozen contract (me going to a different loving country and all) I was just warned that my old unit is calling me up for Cold Response 2015 and won't take no for an answer. I guess they ran out of nurses to sit around watching Americans from the South freeze to death in unheated tents.
Now I figure if I talk fast enough I can get the school to accept those two weeks of me going back across the pond on a government ticket as the same as whatever a Guardsman would point to in the laws and regulations saying they have to accept guardsmen being called up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Cole posted:

Pretty sure government service supersedes whatever your college is doing. But eventually they'll probably just withdraw you from the courses if you miss too much.

It probably varies from administration to administration and I'm not blowing you off when I say you should probably talk to them about it.

Oh, I already did and Im waiting for them to get back to me, I was just hoping for some super clearcut regulation covering this poo poo. Thanks anyway

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Do you Americans use external instructors for first aid, cold weather survival and poo poo? I'm going to Seattle on the Norwegian taxpayers dime to get my civilian paramedic certification, and I'd like to keep my hand in while I'm there. Up until last month I trained combat medics for the Norwegian Army, and from what I've seen working the hospital in Heumensoord on three visits to Nijmegen you guys can't do basic taping or marching first aid for poo poo either. Or, at least, office drones and whoever decides to do poo poo like the march can't do it, and I figure there's a market.

I've got NATO TOP SECRET clearance, my own really snazzy uniforms, rank insignias and poo poo, so I how would say me contacting a Guard base and offering my services (for free) as an instructor/trainer on drill weekends for free be recieved? Would it be 'International cooperation, amazing! Bring him in! Tell the boss we did something to get closer to our allies' or would it be 'gently caress off' ?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're not an idiot, I am though for leaving out basic info from my post. See, thing is I'm moving from active duty to reserves after several years . My fiancè is American and I just got my VISA, Since my military certifications (which should equal an american EMT-paramedic easily, I've been a combat medic in Afghanistan and trained other medics for years after) don't count for squat in civilian life in Norway, I've applied and got into a paramedic program, mostly because they recognized my experience as equalling a EMT B degree, in the Seattle area. When I've done the degree, I'll apply for a spousal green card probably unless something unforeseen happens. Need to be on a student visa or the Norwegian government won't cover my education costs.

So I'll technically still be serving (norwegian) military while I'm over there, and so I just wondered if it'd be possible to stop by . We've had American ex military come in and run classes on our bases often enough, although usually ex SOF or whatever who had special skills.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

The process to get hired as an outside instructor, particularly since you are a member of a foreign military, will take longer than it will take you to complete your Paramedic studies. Also, "You guys suck, pay me so I can show you how it's done" is an attitude that only works when you're pitching a new management program to mid-level bureaucrats.

Yeah, sorry about coming over so cocky, it's late.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

-edit ^ that

Are you male or female? Mil medical experience not meaning poo poo is the same in the U.S. That's nice that the program recognizes your (foreign) Military experience as being an EMT-B. I don't think any of the ones around here would. Anyways, yeah, you're not certified so again it doesn't mean anything as far as teaching. I mean it doesn't hurt to "stop by" but I would find a point of contact first. Maybe get the email of the person in charge of training. Are you ultimately trying to stay in the US here or what?

Male. Why?
Yeah, my fiancè wants to go back to stay. She has a lot of family, and they're close knit whereas I don't have any family except a few distant relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Delizin posted:

You could probably do something like volunteer Fire Dept/EMS or Search and Rescue kind of deal instead of trying to do anything with the military. You (most likely) won't be getting paid, but it could be some good experience for a future paramedic job and keep your skills sharp.

This is a great idea, thank you. I'm trying to clock up as much time in civilian emergency services as possible in any capacity to build some kind of resume before we go over in August, and trying to do something like that might be great for networking. I'll mine the fiancé's friends and family for anyone who knows anyone.

• Locked thread