Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Carnival Rider posted:

I'm wondering what online colleges that EArmyEDU gives are actually worth going to? My AIT was really pushing a certain one but very few legit colleges actually accept credits from it, so it's probably going to be useless. I've heard good things about Excelsior from other people but honestly I don't even know anymore.

Excelsior is the worst of the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

CrackerJackal posted:

I'm joining the USAF and have no idea about what is acceptable or recommended for female hair. Short? Long? What about hair that is dyed?

Internet has been giving me some very mixed answers about this, and I'm also getting discrepancy between my recruiter and the officers at MEPS. The latter are all male though, so I don't blame them if they don't know firsthand (other than the obvious 'no mowhawks' and whatnot).

Generally they don't like it to touch the collar, though it can, and the colors have to be natural.

Also, welcome to the USAF and all- what is your job going to be? (Also fyi: your assignment preferences will have absolutely 0 bearing on where you are assigned out of tech school-- it's all manning decisions, every time. mil to mil spouses being the exception.)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

CrackerJackal posted:

I don't know what my job is going to be yet, I've got to go back for more processing because I need a consult and waiver for I suppose mental stability. I told the truth about high school suspensions etc because it seemed like they could look that stuff up. Mistake, apparently they cannot.

So did you have issues with mental health that led to suspensions or..?

If you have a history of mental health issues, are you sure that you want to go into the military? This isn't the best environment for those with mental health issues.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

CrackerJackal posted:

I didn't say I had mental health issues. Or suspensions. I just need to go finish my processing on a different day when I can get my consult done too. I need the consult because I've been suspended from high school before.

Your post was confusing, you mentioned mental stability being an issue. So you don't have any issues re: mental health? No ADHD, depression, bipolar, personality disorder, etc? If not you shouldn't really need anything regarding your mental stability.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

:ssj:

edit: Generation Kill owns and is probably the most accurate depiction of the military I can recall having seen in major media.

My favorite line from that show was "Hey! Reporter!" "What?" "If you lay with your cock on the ground as a tank goes by it feels loving GREAT!"

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Dead Reckoning posted:

Anyone know if the rewards program on USAA's credit cards is any good?

It's not terrible, if you're big into using credit cards. I'm not personally big into that.

You can get the same points and rewards using your debit card as a credit card though-- or at least you could a few years ago when I signed up.

I think it's something like 12-25 dollars a month in rewards points is what my wife and I average. I bought a TV with it a few years back. I just run everything as a credit, and every few years just cash in the points on something.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Godholio posted:

The debit card is no longer part of the rewards program. This changed maybe 2 years ago.

I just got my new card for the year in the mail, still says USAA Debit Rewards Card or whatever on it, and I can still log into the eagle rewards thing and see my points and redeemable gifts..

Did they maybe have multiple programs and only one got knocked out or something?

This is kinda weird.

Edit on closer look the card DOESNT say that anymore, but it's still the same blue design... hmmmm.. I guess you're right.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

A Kpro posted:

EC monitor I think it was. Of course, they could just tell her she'll be doing it. Depends on the TI.

wtf is this?

I know they changed basic a lot but..

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
It's open. Threaten away.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Seriously tho, open.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Farecoal posted:

Not in the military, so I'm probably going to sound dumb, but I've always wondered what the protocol was for officers of the same rank. If there are two officers of the same rank in a combat situation, and they're the highest ranking ones in a unit, who takes command?

It goes to the one with the highest time in grade. The progression goes:

TIG / TIS / DOB / Cock Size / Least Receding Hairline.

(obv only the first 3)

It also depends on the branch and the officers. If it's USAF, whoever is the rated officer is typically who's in charge regardless of TIG/TIS. And if one officer is medical/legal/chaplain then even if they're a 1 star general, a LtCol line officer would be the one in charge.

Some units have a pretty clear continuity of operations plan in place that is position based instead of rank.. You'll see it go Commander, XO, -3, -2, -4, -5, -1 in a lot of places. This means that if after the captain and the XO are gone, the operations officer is in charge, then Intel, then logistics, supply, personnel.. etc.

You're not going to run into this hypothetical problem above all that often anyway, chains of command are very well set in place before almost all combat situations.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I've told this here before, but we had E-5's who would pull rank on each other based on when they were pinned. A bunch were pinned on the same day, but they did them alphabetically, so they had literally 1-2 more minutes of TIG than the people whose last name was after theirs. It was incredible.

yea except that isn't a thing

your TIS/TIG/DOR etc is all effective on that day, not whatever time your retard commander and your wife punched you in the arm

goddamn i hate airmen

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Veins McGee posted:

You see, I'm not a pog because my occupational field is 03. LAR is gay so whatever.

You'd think with 8 wheels you'd be better able to roll with your pog identity. :shrug:

As a life long pog I know pog when I see it. :)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Christoff posted:

Am I the only one who has done a MOPP gear hike?

nope.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

jealco posted:

I've been fighting the VA for a while now over my disabilities claim, and they finally did something. However, all that something covered was my hearing loss, not my other poo poo (back/knee problems, related to humping excess crap for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children for four years). I'm going to dispute the back and knee problems, but am content with the ruling on my hearing, since I NEED a drat hearing aid already. They just deposited my backpay for the hearing loss.

Can I contest just portions of my claim, or do I have to contest it as a whole? And, if I can contest partially, is there any chance the VA will yank that money back, or is it mine?

They won't be able to retroactively lower your disability rating and recoup the difference, if that's what you're worried about.

Also, yes you can contest individual points- but that doesn't prevent them from reviewing everything in full. I'll give you a rather hosed (for various reasons depending on how you view the world) example:

Guy in my group is rated 100% Disabled by the VA, Vietnam vet. His name is Bill for the sake of this story. His rating was expedited and adjudicated under the agent orange exposure program. This is not too dissimilar from our OIF/OEF vets program that we have now. Basically your claim gets sent through the system faster, and your adjudication is a lot more favorable based on a greater assumption of service connection.

Well bill had Diabetes, Vision problems, Neuropathy, A foot amputation, Heart problems, lung problems, and a bunch of skin issues. He had been rated 100% for a few years.

Bill had some hearing loss. Just enough to require a hearing aid I guess, but enough that he felt that the VA should compensate him for it, or at least accept responsibility for it. Now mind you, his hearing problems were 100% covered by the VA anyway because he was 100% disabled. Myself and a VA rep told Bill multiple times that he doesn't need to do it, and he doesn't want to do it because the second he wants his C&P rating changed for anything, the whole casefile is subject to review. Now this generally isn't a problem, because even expedited claims under the Agent Orange Exposure and OIF/OEF vets get plenty of scrutiny and generally don't have any over-compensated claims or obvious errors.

Bill says gently caress us, the government hosed up his hearing when he was a GODDAMNED GREEN BERET and files for it anyway.

Bill now has a disability rating of 10%, and is now also homeless living with a friend. Why? Because when bills file went under review, the folks in Rhode Island realized that his original Agent Orange Exposure claim had never really looked into whether or not he had been deployed to Vietnam for the required period of time in the right time frame. Low and behold, there is 0 evidence of him being deployed to Vietnam- or deployed at all. His records show his time in Special Forces, and they showed that he was given a few decorations and what not. But there is no reference to Vietnam anywhere.

I don't doubt bill when he says he went to Vietnam, I personally doubt his timeline he claims, but that's all beside the point. The point is, the evidence in his files didn't show enough to say he was in Vietnam at the right time and for the right amount of time for the Agent Orange Exposure claims. Badabing, badaboom- he loses all his C&P ratings- but he gets 10% for his hosed up hearing, and now he has a sweet new hearing aid to help him listen to his terrible sad lonely homeless world with. All because he was a loving idiot and wanted to stick it to Obama & Co. for his hearing loss. (Don't ask me how Obama always came up with him, you know this type of person, you know what I'm talking about.) The ruling was upheld in court and everything. He wasn't required to backpay because it was from a mistake that was Clearly and Unmistakably the VA's fault.

I saw this happen with my own two eyes. Saw a grown rear end old man crying because he was losing everything he had. And there was poo poo all myself or the VA rep could do for him other than say "We told you so, Bill."

So I told you that to tell you this: Once you've got the maximum benefit you think you can get from the VA reasonably-- be very judicious with what you go to claim in the future. You can and will get downgraded if the evidence supports it. The only silver lining is that once you've been rated 100% disabled for 10 years, your benefit may not be reduced.

In your case it's totally worth contesting and trying to get your benefit increased. Once you've realistically achieved the appropriate maximum benefit though, I highly recommend that you act extremely judiciously when applying for anymore upgrades.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

jealco posted:

@GAS CURES KIKES - I'm not bent on anything extreme. Hell, I'll settle for them just recognizing the problems for future treatment. I'm less concerned about my percentage of disability than I am with them admitting I have a problem in the first place.

Thanks for the info.

Did they award you NO rating for the issues, or just 0% ratings? Because that's a big difference-- 0% ratings at least mean you get treatment in the future for them at no cost.

The problem with C&P exams for joint problems or back problems is that they're very exact and quantified to how your problems are at the time of the exam. If you're having a "good" day with your knees, back, or whatever and you are able to bend more than usual, your C&P exam is going to only show that.. well you can bend 35 degrees, even though on average you may only be able to go 15 degrees without pain on most days.

There are a few ways to make sure you get better C&P examination / narratives - and none of them involve shamming or scamming the government (Though, to be entirely honest- enough people do sham/scam that the GP that is doing your exam is going to be suspicious).

1) MRI / CT scans with written narratives from a radiologist noting abnormalities in your joints / bones / whatever. It's extremely helpful to your cause to be able to get an MRI/CT with a radiologist saying your poo poo is hosed up. Doesn't have to be the VA doc's, just someone. A straight up X-ray is often not sensitive enough to really expound upon what could be going wrong with you-- so get an MRI / CT and a competent interpretation of the scans to explain what is abnormal with you.

2) Medical records showing past treatment / complaints about what you're seeking C&P for. These don't necessarily have to be from the military.. But it will help your case immensely if you at least have medical records from your time in the military showing that the problem at least began back then. If you don't, but they awarded you a 0% rating, its ok because there is now an assumed service connection with the disability, but they didn't feel that at the time of your C&P claim that it warranted a rating. If they completely denied the claim, you've got more hills to climb.. Regardless-- continue to seek care for your problems, and get everything documented and hang on to those records. Keep a diary / log of pain levels and interference with daily activities. Remember that nothing has actually happened as far as the VA is concerned unless it's documented in some form or another-- if your trying to get something covered via C&P in a vacuum without a good deal of documentation you're completely at the mercy of whatever your C&P examiner observes/reports for that day you get examined.

3) Work with your C&P examiner. Be honest and upfront with him-- be able to tell him when the problem started, why you think it started, and exactly how it is affecting you (Can't do X, Y, Z.. taking X ammount of pills for pain, depressed bc of injury, gaining weight because of inability to exercise, etc) at all times. If you are having a "good" day with your pain and problems, explain that to him upfront- and say outright that you are having a good day with the problem-- but that those good days are about X out of 30 days in a month, and be able to quantify the difference between a bad day, and a good day- and ask him to please note that on his narrative. Do not try and be the least bit macho and push through even the slightest pain when he is manipulating your joints-- the second it gets uncomfortable say so right then. And make sure he is measuring your movement with the little device that shows how many degrees you can move. IF HE IS NOT DOING SO, REQUEST THAT HE PLEASE DO SO, AND IF HE DOESN'T IMMEDIATELY WRITE A MEMO AND GO DIRECTLY TO THE PATIENT ADVOCATE FROM YOUR C&P EXAM TO COMPLAIN. Don't worry about pissing your doctor off, there is only the absolute most remote chance he'd be the doctor to take care of you once you're using VA care-- and if he is, you can request a different one.

4) Try to get the problem fixed, and if/when the Rehab, Phys Therapy, Surgery, whatever doesn't work it bolsters your case-- get everything documented. If you're lucky, the problem will at least temporarily be resolved, and if it gets worse down the line you can apply for increased C&P over the worsened condition (assuming they already gave you 0% not an outright denial) and you'll have an even stronger case.

5) Be ready to get a lawyer and go to the veterans appeals court if you really feel like you're not getting the proper level of compensation you deserve. The court cases have high rates of success, but naturally-- lawyers can cost money. There are some pro-bono types out there, I encourage you to look for them should you need to go down this path.

The alternative to the above advice is to just sham/scam, which a lot of people do, and is very unfortunate. It's easy to fake pain on a C&P exam for joint problems or whatever.. but the doctors generally know when you're doing it- they may not be able to do much about it, but they can certainly write a less than enthusiastic narrative for you and still be within their lane of discretion. Working with your doctor and being honest/open and having the doctor work as your advocate vice working as a gate keeper is a much better route in my humble opinion- as a lot of the sham/scam types don't get what they want on the initial claim, but later get their awards via the appeals process. I see a lot of this working with guys who are obviously and openly shamming/scamming.

As a complete aside-

I don't know anything about you, or how your service went or your life now or in the past. One thing I do know from the studies and research that have gone into this-- you are much more likely than the average person to have some form of a mental health problem. You might not even realize it, or you might not even have one. I highly encourage you to take stock of your mental health in an honest and open manner, and try and see if you have anything going on that you might need to have someone professional look into- if for no other reason than not letting something that is small / not high impact now from turning into a problem down the road. I'm not saying go claim something immediately on a C&P exam or something, I'm saying take stock on a personal level, and take advantage of the current free mental health care with the VA if you've got something going on now even if it's not a huge deal-- just to make sure that it never becomes a huge deal.

The "flash to bang" for mental health problems can be high variable, but intervention works a lot better if it's attacked while it's still something that isn't heavily affecting your activities of daily living and quality of life. Once it's grown it becomes a lot harder to deal with and can be more problematic.

Again, not saying you got anything going on-- just encouraging you as a veteran to take an honest stock and survey of yourself and prevent bad things from happening.

Anything else you need help with lemme know. I have PM's, but unless you want to keep your situation completely private I think it helps out the community as a whole if we post these kinds of discussions publicly so others can learn from our experiences. There is also the vets benefit thread that I watch pretty closely to.

Best of luck, and like I said-- if you need help with anything lemme know.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Christoff posted:

We need that Military medicine thread again and that in the op

It's my birthday.. My wife worked a night shift though, so I'm going to be up all day with nothing to do-- so I'm going to write a long, detailed, refrenced thread RE: VA C&P system.

If vas likes it we could maybe even talk him into stickying it.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

snowcrafta posted:

I joined the USAF in 2008. After suffering a panic attack 18 days into basic training, it was deemed that I was given an ELS, and 2 weeks later I was discharged and flown back home.

I've done my time in therapy, was put on proper medication to handle my problem, and 5 years later, going back into the military is something I'd like to be able to look into again. Because I was given an ELS, does that mean I can no longer pursuit any sort of career in the military?

I'm not saying it's impossible, because nothing is impossible really.. but..

Give the gently caress up on this idea. It's just not gonna happen. I'm dead serious, go to college and get a job in the real world or something, because you do not have a future with the military.. except maybe if you go in as a civilian, or suck the right dick at certain guard units. And even that is all extremely unlikely.

Also, honestly, you have no business in the military. I sympathize with the psychiatric stuff, I really do, but if 18 days of USAF basic training was a little to much for you, even 5 years ago pre meds and therapy, you seriously should be nowhere near wearing a uniform.

I'm not trying to psych shame you or anything, I take the pills to keep me from going crazy myself, I'm just being honest with you. It's 1) Never gonna happen and 2) Should never happen.

Best of luck otherwise, though.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have a question as a military dependent-to-be, I hope it's ok to ask in this thread as other information resources have not been clear. Fiance is a 2nd Lt in the USAF.

Here's our situation:
Fiance is finishing up intel school at Goodfellow AFB, graduating in May. He just received orders to Kadena AB in Okinawa. I am planning on staying here until my work contracts are done at the end of 2014 then joining him early 2015. In order for the USAF to foot the bill for me to join him later, when should we get married?

Some sources say before he leaves so I'm on his orders from the start.

Some say we should wait until he gets there so his orders will be amended and hope I get command sponsorship.

His current command says if we get married now they'll "for sure" pay for me to move later but we both agree that sounds like a lot of bullshit.

Thoughts?

Go ask the career development folks at the MPF. Also pimp the TMO folks and ask them.

The final answer comes from one of those two sources. And in the end you have a 50/50 chance of being told the wrong thing anyway.

But you asked for thoughts, and after smoking a bowl and contemplating things, I had a thought I'd like to share with you.

Have you considered not marrying your fiancee?

I can count on one finger the number of guys that were USAF intel officers that I wouldn't line up outside the gas chambers if the fourth reich became a thing.

A few years from now, when you can't even stand to look at him without feeling a sense of extreme hatred and disappointment simultaneous to realizing that at 28 years old you spend 50% of your day thinking about becoming a divorcee, remember this advice: Run the gently caress away now.

Seriously, there is a 100% chance your fiancee is a tool and a loving nitwit. There is a 100% chance that he will be peer pressured into becoming a distilled version of fighter pilot gay bro'ness not by dudes that fly fighter jets, but other sperged out intel retard officers. He's going to start saying things like "Check, Rodge, Vector, Burner" and other associated lame as gently caress things, while also sometimes randomly wearing a flightsuit to work on Fridays despite his only flight time being the fam flight he poo poo his pants or puked his guts up during.

Also he's going to cheat on you. Oh man is he going to cheat on you. And there is a not too bad chance that it won't be with some good looking gal, but rather some dumb bitch enlisted intel girl that almost got a degree in psychology from her podunk state school before she decided she hated the taste of gargling frat sperm and dropped out and joined up to get a chance at being the hottest little twat in a windowless SCIF in Japan.

But don't worry about that breaking your heart, he'll never tell you. You'll be too busy caring for the 3-4 kids he demands you squeeze out in repayment to the base model BMW 3 series he's going to buy you when he gets to his second assignment at Tinker AFB.

When he's not deep dicking some borderline inbred dipshit Airman who's a civilian 5 and intel 12, he'll be lording over you how his job and career come first, and pray he doesn't make more money than you because that'll come up everytime you sigh audibly at the dinner table where you two will passive aggressively try to grind down each others will to live and breathe.

By this point as a captain he's going to be TDY 1-2 months a year, where he's getting half assed hand jobs from third tier strippers on excursions with the least socially inept enlisted guys in his flight-- this is probably the point where his raging alcoholism will be so clear and obvious to you that you two will start fighting every saturday before kick off when his colleges football team inevitably will take a beating. This fight won't stop until his next TDY when the sweet release of his toothless stripper infidelities and lack of home presence gives you time to bust out your big giant purple *BZZZZZ* friend whenever those walking talking pants making GBS threads machines you call children fall asleep long enough to let you deaden the nerves in your clitoris.

Soon after he'll take his third assignment, the one right before he pins on Major, and suddenly he'll be pressuring you into becoming a fundamentalist christian, and he'll delete all of his whores off of his facebook account and spend his home time posting image macros about 2nd amendment rights, and how jesus spoke english in the bible so these loving mexicans should too. At this point you two will be consigned to bi-annual loving, and only when you've drank enough cheap boxed wind to be able to stand the idea of him pounding away on you missionary style but still refusing to look you in the eyes.

This will also be the point when your oldest childs ADHD and pyromania are diagnosed, and one of your parents die. There is around a 85% chance one of you is going to be eating zoloft and klonopin out of loving pez dispensers, and waking up angry that the sweet release of death hasn't taken one of you out of this loveless hosed up marriage.

Somewhere in here the idea of swinging is going to come up casually as an almost joke when you are both in the blissful release of a nice drunken buzz, and one of you will actually be very open and interested in the idea. The other is going to wind up being an unhappy accomplice wondering why your partner wants to gently caress almost chubby guys with spray on tans, or watch the sacred hole through which your children came into this world be filled with all manner of different ethnicities of cock.

I'm late to bring this up, but sooner rather than later you're also going to screen positive for HPV, and your intel officer husband is going to take every bit of research skills he has from his job to convince you that you got it from donating blood or sitting on a toilet seat.

You didn't get it from the Red Cross or a trip to the shitter.

As it stands now though, you can walk the gently caress away and enjoy a life that I'm pretty sure would be better than the above. And you'll never have to see the inside of an officers wives meeting which is a lovecraftian hell that makes my description of your future seem like Charlie's trip through the chocolate factory.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 27, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Well that was, uh, informative?

We're well aware the separation will suck, we've been through something similar before and survived. Plus I grew up military so it's not like I'm going into this with no idea of what I'm getting into. If he was being stationed CONUS this would be a non issue and we'd get married next year and I'd pay to move myself, but moving to Japan is expensive and I am trying to not have to pay for it if I can. Right now it looks like he'll be there until 2017 regardless of marital status.

:sigh:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Ziji posted:

I'm in AIT and was just given a packet to apply for 160th SOAR. I'm debating whether I want to do it (on one hand I can probably avoid Alaska, but on the other hand gently caress Ft. Huachuca). Can anyone give me any insight on what Ft. Campbell is like, or anything to do with 160th at all? I'm a 15W if that matters.

Go 160th. You'll be part of some awesome amazing things.

If you were looking to do some cool stuff while you're in, they're an excellent starting place. Excellent.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Ziji posted:

Thanks guys. I'm filling out the form right now, hope I get selected. Better start hitting the gym more often though if I want to make it through Green Platoon!

:3:

I couldn't help but read this with a really eager enthusiastic idealistic joe imagined in my mind saying this, and it loving warmed my heart like goddamned plutonium.

Thanks buddy, for doing this military poo poo after we stopped doing it, and for not being another bitter angry jaded gently caress.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

iroc.dis posted:

He made it sound like today was the first day he noticed them as he was walking out of the building.

Most likely they were plain clothes members of a rather hush hush organization we call Phoenix Raven, and they were probably carrying their custom Remington AR-X's or maybe the S&W AR-X rifles that the dudes at CAG and DEVGRU passed up on because of costs.

We try not to talk too much about equipment, TTP's and what not when it comes to the Phoenix Raven thing.. It's pretty sketchy that we're even allowed to name them but honest Vas isn't the OPSEC nazi that GD and Grover were.

If your google-fu is strong I think Mark Bowden has written a great writeup about the guys and their equipment / TTP's and operational history. I think like 65%-70% of it is accurate.

Thats about all we can say.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Like I said, after Mark Bowdens book, and all the PHOENIX RAVEN talk in that old AF thread we had here, OPSEC with the group has plummeted... Vas seriously needs to put a new rule in the stickied thread but, I don't think we can put the toothpaste back in the tube :ohdear:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Wokrider posted:

I think a lot of it comes from thinking you wouldn't be able to stand the gore that could happen.
I was going to enlist at 19 but didn't like the thought of seeing people hurt figured I would freak out; after being a Cook in Atlanta for a few years I learned I can live with it. I got a 4inch superficial laceration on my left arm the cut went strait through the fatty layers without cutting any muscle so I got lucky, I could see my veins and muscle pulsing from the adrenalin I took it like a champ, I also had to wait for two and a half hours to get it stitched in the Grady emergency room.

Holy poo poo how have we not implemented more rigorous psych screening in the military yet?

You are 12 gallons of hosed up crazy poo poo crammed into a 20 Oz bottle.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Nah, GOV IT stuff is really, really easy to get. I pulled a contractor job (albeit not secret at all, just IT support) straight out of high school without a problem

Be honest then.. how often are you "that" Airman, who mentions a billion times how he did X job already as a contractor at Y company before enlisting and how you just enlisted to get Z much more money out of contracting work.

:)

Be honest!!!

:)

(Edit: Hopefully none, but you know the type I'm talking 'bout)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Carnival Rider posted:

A civilian guy working at a vehicle self service center went WAAAAY across the line with racist comments and I want to get him crushed. Is there anything else we can do other than talking to his supervisor (ignored, he's been there a while and just got shrugged off with a what can you do attitude) or an ICE comment?

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly did this turd say?

I'm always interested in where everyone's individual threshold for taking action in these situations are..

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Why not be content with him letting the whole world know he's an rear end in a top hat, and you and your friends just drink your beers and mind your business?

Jews don't need you out there defending their honor, they've got a whole military doing that and even an entire drat country. Do yourself a favor and don't borrow the trouble?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Affi posted:

Swedish military is really cool in very many ways. Very progressive. Like my platoon is the first in Swedish military history (so I'm told) to hold more women then men. Like 55% in favour. Pay isn't very good, like say 2800$ / month. Benefits rock though. You can live on base for 130$/month (while trying to find your own apartment), meals are cheap and loving awesome. Free dental/medical. Etc. If you get field training (staying in field over the day when employed) you get 150$ / day extra plus 8 hours of vaccation time. (4 of those you can sell back to the military) So if you're in the field a lot training you get hella pay and free days.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

:stare:

Mein eyes have seen the coming of the glory of the lord.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Chemystery posted:

Navy O-1 here. Being involuntarily separated (honorable discharge) and would like some advice on what I should be doing before I get the gently caress out. Anything I should be doing right now with regards to veteran benefits. Time on AD was 8 months not counting OCS. I know I get 50% of post-9/11, but other than that...I am at a loving loss as to what else is available to me.

Also, what is the best way to did a "do it yourself move" once I am leaving AD? Does one simply go to the property office on base and tell them to issue moving allowance ahead of time? Sorry, but this poo poo caught me completely off guard and I know jack poo poo about anything but being corrected.

There was a dude a long time ago that posted an Ask/Tell thread regarding his time in military prisons. He was Navy, was in hawaii and sold a couple of pills of molly or something and got busted. He was in the brig when 9/11 happened, and I guess their CO came in and brought 'em all to attention and gave 'em a pretty moving speech that stuck with me over the years for some reason.

Anyway- one of the things the dude giving the speech said was something along the lines of no matter how things turned out for you, at least you were willing to raise your right hand and stand up for this country or whatever and stand the watch. It was really really 9/11 as gently caress. Kinda lame, but probably not at that time.

But the sentiment is the same, sorry the USN didn't work out for you but thank you for trying- not everyone would even get that far. And also yeah dude, you totally won the loving military game. Like, 100%.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

Now how do I keep his wife from wasting all his contractor money and thus rendering his years away from his child essentially meaningless? That's also a common question right??

Kill her, Jodie, and then yourself.

In that order.

Never thought I'd give serious advice in the quick questions thread.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Wokrider posted:

How do you report a Navy chief for inappropriate behavior?

Depends on the behavior.

That's not me being snarky either, it's an important question you need to contemplate first, because it drives everything else.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Bob A Feet posted:

oooook I guess I wasn't clear: I know protein is fine. I'm just wondering about mostly prework/energy booster supplements.

They all test positive either as GHB or Psyclobin if you don't preload with a lot of caffeine and Guarana type extracts.. has to do with the catalytic processes in the thick ascending loop of Henle w/ your kidneys.. if you're taking in plenty of caffeine and guarana you'll be fine because the Na+ that it's absorbing at that point in the process de-anneals the biomarkers that the standard 10 panel enzyme based tests look for. Though you'd only piss hot on the enzyme test, the GC/MS confirmation they do afterward should show that you don't ACTUALLY have those things in your system.. but do you really want to be the first guy that gets slammed away for a botched GC/MS? Plus presumptive positives for you officer types could be real career killers, since you'd be DNF until it's all cleared up... The easiest solution is to take a No-Doz, and a couple of redbulls when you're taking those other supplements.

Remember if your pump isn't making your dick veins throb through your cammies you're essentially a human being.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Hey man, I'll be your pen pal.

I promise you'll never forget the experience.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If you previously were granted a clearance and you didn't annotate the arrest then, and they find out after the fact AND it looks like you went and took efforts to hide it again on this application for clearance? In the new insider threat fear environment? No clearance ever again kiddo. You need to talk to a pro about the issue, and one that can't be compelled to say anything against you in a court of law.

Just sayin'.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Don't loving huff poo poo you Godamn goony gently caress. If your so desperate to get high that you wanna slam down a hit of organic solvents, go get help.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Seriously, the entire secret sauce to the DoD's success is at a sleepy little base in the middle of nowhere in the midwest, housing an unknown command doing an amazing job at a thing almost nobody bothers to put any thought into.

It sounds like the worst job ever, particularly if you aren't a logistician, but if you want to learn a thing or two about national security go forth, and resupply, sustain, and replenish mankind's most powerful fighting force, worldwide.

You'll be a goddamn whiz kid at this geopol, inter-agency, joint, international poo poo in a hurry.

Or you'll get fired.

Lotta dudes get fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

:colbert:

• Locked thread