Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Busket_in_Posket posted:

What are the worst reasons to join the military?
Can't find a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

ElMaligno posted:

In our current lovely economy this isn't a lovely reason anymore,
No, sorry, it's still a lovely reason.

As is "Oh gently caress, my degree turned out to be worthless and now they want me to start repaying the loans!"

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Joining the military is more than a job; it's a complete lifestyle change. You'd better drat well want that lifestyle change, or you will absolutely find yourself miserable. If you join mostly because you can't find a job, and you're only looking at it because your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, etc, choices all failed... then you're probably not looking at the military as something you want to do so much as a drastic last resort.

You should be joining the military because you want to, not because you feel pressured by economics. There are way easier ways to earn a paycheck, ways that come with less drastic impact to your life.

See also:

Casimir Radon posted:

You suck at everything and want a steady paycheck.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Boo This Man posted:

I've had hemroids for a few years. Embarrasing question. Have not went to the doctor, should I document it?
No, it's just hemorrhoids, it's not exactly debilitating. Stop washing your rear end in a top hat with soap and see if they go away.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

MaakHatt posted:

Can anyone shed some light on federal credit unions? Anyone use them and know if they have good benefits compared to a normal bank (mortgage rates, interest rates for savings accts, etc.)?
First off, banks suck rear end. Even bad credit unions are better than good banks.

Navy Federal Credit Union is OK-to-good depending on what you need. They're not necessarily the BEST rates out there, but they're pretty good and certainly beat any bank hands-down. I financed my mortgage through them, as well as the equity loans that financed my addition. I found their car rates to be rather high, though; they advertised good rates, but won't actually GIVE you those low rates. I couldn't even figure out why, as no amount of lying about my credit rating or other things about the car on their online form would return the low rates they advertised on their front page. I ended up financing my through my other (non-federal) credit union instead which had a slightly higher advertised rate but actually GAVE me that rate without any hassle when I submitted the loan paperwork.

Their debit card is a bit finicky; not all places will accept it. You have to carry separate Navy FCU debit and check cards.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slippery posted:

Are you talking about coming down on YOU? Seriously does the Navy restrict officers to post? If so, ahahaha.
I think you're confusing Regicide (Army E-1) with m0tbaille/Amanda Hugnkiss (Navy O-1). It's OK, happens all the time!

And no, Navy does not typically restrict officers to post; they're punished in other ways. Navy doesn't even have base housing anymore. What are they going to do, take your keys, hand you a cot and tell you that you can't go home for 30 days? Bit different onboard ship, but still.

Having to get a pass to walk off-base for lunch sounds hilarious. I know Army works different than Navy and Army are used to signing in and out everywhere, but man, I can't even imagine the shitstorm if Navy or Air Force tried to implement that! Navy's solution is a web-based system you're supposed to use if a hurricane or something hits so that your boss knows you're not dead (yet). Not that anyone will have power or internet in a hurricane, but hey, makes them feel better.

grover fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 17, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

my recruiter taught me that answering YES to the medical personel in a simple way

Your Enlistment Stops

while

New Opportunities

but slippery is going to cme in with some gay poo poo now
"Are you heterosexual?"

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Navy SEABEEs still have mechanics, carpenters, plumbers, HVAC techs, electricians, etc. Mostly expeditionary of late, although there are quite a few stationed at various shore commands to watch over the facility equipment.

Slippery posted:

Speaking of blue collar/trade --

The USAF has a civil engineering AFSC called power production ("power pro")

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjob3e0x2.htm

Also a ton of other poo poo. I've met a few power pro folks and they all seem to love it, and they all say it sets them up well for work on the outside, making decent money.
The Navy equivalent, MUSE techs, all absolutely love their jobs and have terrific retention. (The Navy techs also go through AF power pro school, plus a number of Navy schools and in-house training.) For the Navy, it's not a rate you join up as, though; it's an NEC that's only open to E-5+. And I tell you what- every MUSE tech I've known has been a sharp motherfucker who knows their stuff.

grover fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 28, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

hammeredspace posted:

So how does one get into the MUSE thing? Is there a test involved?
It's NEC 5633, but I don't have the details on selection. If you're interested, PM me; I can get you in touch with the master chief who runs the program.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

hammeredspace posted:

Got something here, though how valid the information is I can't say; there's no date. It does say that it's open to E-4 and above, though, as opposed to E-5.

I don't know if it's anything I'd be cut out for, if it's incredibly mentally intensive. I couldn't bullshit my way through basic geometry back in high school, let alone get into the nuke program back at MEPS.
Their official page is here. They actually have some really good recruiting information on it:
https://portal.navfac.navy.mil/portal/page/portal/navfac/navfac_ww_pp/navfac_nfelc_pp/muse/tab3968595

I don't think it's mentally any different than any other rate, it's just a small program and the schooling requirements tend to weed out the lazy.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

hammeredspace posted:

But still is it too much to just have them sign the "I'll never do it again I swear" thingy they make people sign at MEPS? And hell at least they loving admit to it, rather than not.
They swore to never do it again at MEPS, but did it again anyhow. Why would a 2nd oath be any different? If they do illicit drugs, especially if they're not caught, they become liable to blackmail which is the REAL problem.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

revenance posted:

Terms would be interchangeable for a question like that since they're inversely proportional anyway, still have no idea what he was answering though that would make all non-lasers have the same f or λ.
Lasers are coherent light. You can have a normal light that's all one f/λ; the difference is that in a laser, the waves are all perfectly in phase.

I expect every prospective recruit reading this thread to get this question right on the ASVAB :colbert:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Boo This Man posted:

Does anybody have any experience in 3D1X2 - Cyber Transport?

Transport is long-haul links between networks- routers, switches, SATCOM, etc. I've worked with the Navy equivalent, but not Army, though. I'd imagine army transport is a lot more complicated, given how mobile the army is and how challenging that would be to transport.

And of course resetting passwords for dipshits who keep forgetting, because every IT is a helpdesk IT regardless of specialty!

grover fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 8, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Quarterly Prophet posted:

What's Guam like? Might have a chance of going there in the spring.
It's a lot like Hawaii, but smaller and with even more Japanese tourists. And 12 hours further away. If you envision Guam as a shrunken-down Oahu, you'll not be far off when you get there.

The SCUBA off Guam is awesome, btw.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

Weird, I heard it from Post Office people too, but even the examples on the USPS site have rank. I guess it's an AF thing.
If you mail it from one commanding officer to another commanding officer at official command addresses, and just attn: who you really want to send it to, postage is free :eng101:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Regicide posted:

I gently caress everything good up.
Look on the bright side: after years and years of being wring, he's finally made a factually correct statement.

Now, back on target, please.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slippery posted:

Man someone needs to introduce the DoD to the shift key.

I know, I know, there are still reasons for it etc and so forth but it just makes me laugh that we still see official messages formatted for 40-column monocase dumb terminals.
No, there's not really any reason for it anymore. The few applications that still require all caps for whatever [ancient backwards compatibility] can have that poo poo converted to all-caps when it transmits.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Regicide posted:

tl;dr I have cataracts, got discovered in AF Basic and was sent home during exodus. Any chance I could join any other branch? I want to be a mechanic. I have college credits too.
This would be an EXCELLENT time to start actually listening to people when they give you advice.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Where do you guys get your news from?
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Ensure you protest properly.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

I sent a memorandum request to my buddy's supervisor requesting permission for him to him to go to lunch one day. It was a slow morning.
I cornered the person in charge of naval messaging and beat them with a teletype machine until, smashed to a bloody pulp, they agreed to ditch the loving all-caps poo poo.

It'll take about 2 years, but you can thank me later.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slippery posted:

Did they say whey they kept it so long? I've always wondered.
The new messaging systems support normal typesets; there is no longer any technical reasons we still need to format messages like they're going through some 1950s AUTODIN switch. The entire holdup is apparently some "because we've always done it this way" DoD instruction that needs revision. Blame bureaucracy.

I can imagine there's a price tag attached with the change for updating software and many other things that aren't entirely obvious, which is most likely the real source of the delay. I don't think anybody likes the old messaging system. Maybe if enough people bitch up their chain of command it will change sooner rather than later. Hey, maybe if you offer up some of your budget as an offset, it could happen this year?

grover fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 12, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

I've seen most documents using lower case, but I think my most recent TDY orders were still caps.
Yeah, instructions, MIL-HDBKS, etc, are all lower case but messaging is still apparently limited via DoD instruction to a very specific format with a limited character set.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
It's not trafficking in people if you go to their home nation, right?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Eyre Kneed posted:

How hard is is to get waivers? I'm going AF and I know they're picky. I made a mistake when I was 18 so I'm gonna need a credit waiver and I told my recruiter about an expunged charge on my sealed record (I'm an idiot and got scared by that "IF YOU LIE TO GET INTO THE MILITARY, YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL" sign in my recruiting office) and now she wants a waiver for that too.

Am I hosed out of this branch?
I thought expunged charges effectively didn't exist?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Grover/Hagetekadaha please Pm when is convenient to you with regards to a new thread. I lost my platinum when banned in a money grubbing scheme from the fascist known as lowtax, but I have a legitimate gripe and would like to post a thread and i'm trying to show considerable restraint in posting it.

No it's not inherently a drunk post thread.

te amo and thank you
You need plat to recieve PMs, FYI. I can save you $9.95, though. If it's an HCT thread and borderline enough that even you ask permission before posting it, the answer is no.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

posting way cool dead bodies in the picture thing however 100% acceptable
Yeah, speaking of which, thanks for removing those.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Smoke Crack posted:

Why does the Navy gotta be so ridiculous. Sound like I'm gonna stick with "Sarnt".
Just call 'em "shipmate", they like that.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

manic mike posted:

The Navy T-34 has no ejection seat. They use bailout procedures similar to old WWII fighters. But it's only a training aircraft and it's going to be replaced with the T-6B.
Why the hell would Beechcraft call the T-6 the Texan? Yeah, I know it's homage, but that's just horribly confusing. Would be awesome if Navy started flying AT-6/SNJs again.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

IntangiblePanda posted:

How are these weapons used in a modern context? Is it possible/probable to shoot down an enemy aircraft with less than three seconds of gunfire available? I'm genuinely curious, I don't know anything about modern air power and this seems strange.
Haven't you seen Top Gun? When Maverick is too close for missiles, he switches to guns!

Doctrine for stealth aircraft is to kill the enemy over-the-horizon, but that's not always possible. When in close dogfights, cannons are just as effective now as they were back in WWII and Korea- moreso, really, given modern computerized gunsights.

When used, guns are fired in brief pulses. 3 seconds of ammo is good for 6 half-second shots and equivalent to near a load of missiles; if the gun is on target, even a single round is enough to ruin someone's day. These guns are also used to strafe ground targets; I've heard of instances it's been used in Afghanistan when enemy positions are too close to friendlies to drop bombs on.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I'm at my kid's football practice, and the marching band is practicing the Star Spangled Banner... over and over again! Help! What do I do?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Nillerz posted:

Are they a fake school? Their name sounds fake.
I think they give you two and a half degrees for the price of one.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
That, or stick it in the truck of your car..

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Null Integer posted:

It's just a run of the mill GTC.

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm pretty sure he just misinterpreted the YN and kinda ran with it in his head.
You can (and are supposed to) use your GTC to directly pay for any authorized expenses, including meals and other expenses that fall under per-diem. Restaurants and bars and grocery stores, etc, are just fine but you're not supposed use it for personal things like souvenirs or sightseeing, and definitely not buying TVs or poo poo like that. (Hit up an ATM and use cash for strip clubs or stores with potentially suspicious names so it doesn't show up on your statement- your command can and does look at it, and will likely audit it at the end of the year.) They don't see much by the way of details, though, so a $20 purchase at wal-mart (typical drinks & snacks purchase) won't raise suspicion, but a $150 will.

When you fill out your voucher in DTS when you return, you'll set it up to split-pay a portion of your reimbursement directly to the GTC. If you gently caress up and charge more to your GTC than you get reimbursed per diem, you will have to pay the difference out of your pocket when Citibank mails you the bill. Which is unfortunately rather easy to do in places with lovely per diem rates...

FYI, Citi charges 2.9% on all cash withdrawls; you can claim the fees you get charged, though.

grover fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 11, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Since you moved yourself with a uhaul, they will likely only require your receipt. Weight matters more when pros do the move, as that's how they charge. You should be able to claim the truck rental, fuel, and tolls. Also, mileage for driving your car, if you drove it separate.

Failing that, it's time to learn the fine art of the bullshit. Pick a good reasonable number well within the allowable amount, and go with that.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

iyaayas01 posted:

The whole forums are that way now (or at least they were when I tried to access them from work earlier today)...it happens occasionally. Someone who actually knows why can probably explain it.
With the number of guests quintipling traffic since the reddit thing broke, I'm surprised the servers didn't self-destruct in a ball of fire. Seems like that would be a good thing for ad revenue, but I dunno.

It really doesn't matter if this forum is private or $10, does it? It's not like $10 is a barrier to anyone trying to mine information from the discussions here.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

It probably keeps out a lot actually. Sure, plenty of people are willing to throw away $10 on whatever stupid poo poo, but even more people will refuse to do so on principle (then spend hundreds of dollars on a furry costume or something).
Those aren't the people I'm talking about about. Think a little bit harder about it for a few minutes.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Seamonster posted:

So I found a folder at the local mall containing an officer's resume and record brief, as well as some printed email correspondance (unclassified). Detailed are his current/previous assignments, etc. Also has his SSN.

Not sure if I should destroy these documents or email the guy and return them via mail... Fortunately I do have a .gov email address so at least I won't look like some random wacko.
That's privacy act information. Unless the officer himself left it there, whoever lost it is in a SHITLOAD of trouble. I would email him and let him know what happened, he can take it from there.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

Or: return someone's missing property.
Or, if you were unscrupulous, you could get yourself a fancy new platinum credit card you don't have to pay off. Pre-packaged identify theft folders like that don't grow on trees, you know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Vasudus posted:

Act of Valor: Hey guys, we're going to release the most expensive recruiting video ever produced when every service is undergoing RIF.
Wikipedia reports the SEALs involved were ordered to participate.

While it seems odd to start a big recruiting effort, it may be the first ever recruiting video to turn a profit, which tempers it a bit.

• Locked thread