Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If I'm GNPS with around 5 months of TIS, a BASD that is XX SEPT 06 and now a new PEBD of XX OCT 10 and I signed my Guard contract on March 1.. (So it looks like it's backdated from my contract date to account for TIS) the date in October should be where it matters for pay/promotion even though I haven't yet shipped to training again, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

:what:

:golfclap:

But really, dates, they mean something. Or something like that. Basically I'm trying to figure out how my TIS is calculated for pay/promotion purposes given my situation. Did it "start" in October 2010 or does it start on May 24th when I am on active duty orders for initial training again. If in May, does it start at 0 or with me having around 5 months TIS?

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 19, 2011

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So my religious preference is wrong on my ERB and my ID tags and am going to get it corrected. Can I really have it changed to Jedi/whatever the gently caress I want?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I'm about to graduate with a 35 series MOS. I'm ARNG and my unit isn't set to deploy for a while as far as I know. Say I want to go, what's the best route to accomplishing this?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I second the OTB boots. I have a used but serviceable pair in size 7.5EE if you want to try them. I had to size up to 8EE after wearing the 7.5s for a month. :q:

I will say though that at least for me, they're (OTBs) very lacking in ankle support. Still though, the OTBs are rugged as gently caress still and probably the lightest desert boot on the market.

While we're at it, I need to find a good pair of boots that have excellent ankle support. Think I could get away with a pair of Lowa Desert Elites with their toecap? They look a lot less retarded then some of the abortions I've seen people wearing on their feet. Apparently they have a large military discount which makes their $300 retail price not so bad.

As far as stores, US Patriot or whatever has some good coupons, I bought the second pair of OTBs for around $120 shipped? I think I paid $150 at their retail store for the first pair.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 31, 2011

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

This is why OTBs rock, my shoes/boots have Superfeet blue/green respectively so in reality they're even lighter if you use the crappy insoles:

That's right, the boot only weights 100g more than an ASICs GT-21xx running shoe. Yes, that is a badass Weight Watchers food scale next to my espresso machine.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Being ARNG that just got off a period of active duty, apparently I'm eligible for some sweet free dental care at the VA. Is it something worth doing if my teeth aren't severely jacked up? Is this a basic cleaning or will they do actual dental work if necessary?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

No.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It doesn't mean that it's "more" than Top Secret; You just have to have a need to know to be part of such a program.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Gordian posted:

I ship out to Jackson tomorrow. Any last minute advice/tips?

It sucks. At least you're not there in the Summer. gently caress willfully living in SC ever.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There must be a story to go with that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Maarak posted:

Afghanistan is just riddled with these things:

LOL, I remember seeing that in the news back in the day.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The closest bar to my apartment is some veterans place. Cool old building with monuments on it dating back to the Spanish American War. I've never gone though because I don't feel like I belong.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Civilian engineers stationed in Oregon?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I have my first AT coming up, are there any forms I need for this BAH type? I qualified for BAH while I was active duty for training last year so I don't see why I wouldn't qualify now.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Tysterisk posted:

I've had people call me lazy, irresponsible, and accuse me of getting an almost child-like enjoyment out of being (relatively) big and strong. But gung-ho? What's so hooah about wanting to beat some dudes senseless with pugil sticks? More to the point, who the hell doesn't think that's pretty much the best day ever?

Pugil sticks are lame and I got my rear end whooped by some crazy kid. gently caress it, they make bullets for a reason? Also people get the gently caress beat out of them. One dude in my BCT company literally had his finger nearly broken off (it was hanging by soft tissue) along with several other people with just regular plain broken fingers.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cryogenic Jesus posted:

I have 20/200 vision in each eye and you can't wear glasses for pugil sticks. Needless to say I lost.

ya, same here.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've been tracking on that too. The whole arena of cyber security/intelligence seems like a wide open frontier. Something to look into in the future I suppose.

One can hope the Guard/Reserves has a role in it in due time.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pretty much all of the intelligence disciplines have a corresponding WO MOS so I would imagine this would be no different.

If you go to the MI Space forums on AKO there is some more info.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Canadian WOs are senior NCOs while American ones are officers that rank between enlisted and below regular commissioned officers. Two different things. Dunno how to address the Canadian one.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If you sew nametapes on ACUs, what is the consensus on leaving your rank velcro? My 1SG says it's an all or no deal but I've seen lots (officers in particular) with sewn nametapes but velcro rank.

The message on sewing items on ACUs isn't clear on this.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 30, 2012

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If you have dependents you're entitled to BAH. Or if you're Guard/RC on active duty (including IET) and have a lease/mortgage.

If you're talking Army OCS, you're going to have to go to BCT first anyway.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

One of the nice things about the Guard is RSP. I mean it's lame but at least you get paid to go to what amounts to DEP stuff.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Krabsworth posted:

Is it common in the Army now for there to be a Facebook page for a class of recruits going through basic? A friend of mine's sister is going through Ft. Jackson and you can log on and see hundreds of pictures at this point and all kinds of activities. There was a lengthy photo album documenting the gas chamber day, for example. Just curious...it seems a little mushy for a military to do that.

Families like that poo poo.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm going to jump on the USAA bandwagon. While I don't (yet) have any credit cards or loans through them, their banking and insurance is awesome.

My apartment was broken into last year while I was on active duty and they were more than fair in paying out and very friendly although their website can be a bit of a pain in terms of submitting claims.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Also a lot of UPS stores take USAA check deposits.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

GreenMeat posted:

Those days are numbered. After the ongoing army-wide grade plate review, there will be far fewer NCO slots in almost every MOS.

So does this mean E5 slots will become E4 slots and so on?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm in the RC and in an MOS that requires a TS/SCI. MJ usage was not a barrier to enlistment or clearance at all.

If you want to go RC, look for BN/BCT headquarters units or B Co in BSTBs as that is AFAIK always a MICO in BCTs. They all have lots of MI slots at any rate.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So say I need transport cases (Pelican or similar) for a variety of hard drives, any suggestions? Say two cases for 40-50 3.5" hot swap type drives each and one case for around 20 2.5" notebook drives.

Any NSNs would be especially helpful.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'd go with bubble wrap but these are for a government owned system that the drives are frequently removed from and need protection. I figure one of us may have had a similar need for cases.

As long as I find a suitable product with NSNs, I don't think it should be a problem.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pelican seems to have NSNs for most of their products, I'm looking for cases specifically for hard drives which I haven't seen yet. I'm fine with cutting my own foam but static is a concern (I dunno how much I should worry about this).

If you have NSNs for any hard drive cases, I'd be very appreciative.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I want as few cases as possible. Two sets of server drives totaling around 50 each and 20 or so 2.5" notebook drives. 3 would be perfect but two cases for each server doesn't seem so bad.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

They're not being replaced across the board by MRAPs. There's a very specific reason they're going away in Afghanistan, which doesn't apply everywhere. And there's a lot more going on at any given time for the US military than that one operation.

On the contrary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Light_Tactical_Vehicle

Having never deployed, I can't comment on the armor of HMMWVs but M1151s/52/65s drive pretty nicely compared to the old ones and most importantly they have working air conditioning. I guess you can only bolt so much armor on a 30 year old design and even then it is fundamentally not designed for what they want it to do.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 28, 2012

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That begs a good question, once we pull out of Afghanistan what are we going to do with the billions worth we own in interim MRAPs?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Either her (or your grandmother if she's still alive) should be able to request his records, AFAIK.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I've been dealing with trying to get a minor LOD injury taken care of, I've been preapproved for treatment through Tricare. They're trying to bone me by having me go to 3 different providers each about 50 miles away one way because they're the closest in network providers.

I live in a city of 300,000+ people with a major university run healthcare system. I find it ridiculous that they don't have a provider here that is acceptable to them.

What recourse if any do I have about getting them to approve treatment at a non-network provider?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It took me 6 months plus getting strings pulled at NGB for a waiver for being treated for ADD as a child 15 years prior. Doubt I'd get in today.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

This was 2010. I had a 91 on the ASVAB and was good to go medically otherwise. :shrug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hekk posted:

A little hand sanitizer will clean it up as good as new. Alternatively, you could leave the orifices filled with the stuff. Bet you'd only have one person try to gently caress it.

I've known of someone who got caught using Gojo/hand sanitizer. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I just wonder where clips of South Park come from.

• Locked thread