Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
To be a SEAL/sniper/Green Beret/Delta/TF 141/general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

psydude posted:

I know you can use orders to terminate or suspend a cell phone contract, but does the same rule apply to internet service contracts?

Yup. :) Well, it worked for me. Cell phone, internet, cable...I think that was everything I had a contract for. It got me out of everything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

psydude posted:

How far in advance do you generally find out about deployments?

Depends on service and career field, I'd say. I can plan mine out indefinitely until the AEF arrangement changes or I PCS/PCA, at which point I'll be able to plan it out according to the gaining unit's deployment cycle. There are exceptions to this, like 179s to random places, but in the AF it's fairly predictable, which is half the point of the AEF concept in the first place.

I have a feeling you knew this, but it's a good question anyway.

Edit: Maybe I should proofread my spelling/grammar immediately rather than waiting 12 hours.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 12, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't think those are the kinds of quick questions this thread was made for. But if I'm wrong, I'd like to see some credit card numbers, home addresses, and SSNs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iceslice posted:

Why do they play music at random hours of the day? Is there any historical significance or is it just a dude dropped in his magazine on the sound board? I'm mostly curious why I'm hearing poo poo at 23:30 every night.

You're probably hearing Taps, signifying the end of the day/lights out (at some point in history). In the morning there's Reveille usually followed by To The Colors, in the afternoon there's Retreat usually followed by the national anthem. Timings are a little different based on location and service. At my base they're at 7:30 AM, 4:30 PM, and sometime around 10 or 11 PM (I live off base, so I don't know exactly). On the other hand, the Navy detachment here does their own Reveille at 8...they're weird.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Get proof that you don't have it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Security Forces.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Clothing sales? Any suit store should carry something like that too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's what every military direct deposit I've ever received looks like.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My AD pay comes from Denver.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

As far as I know, I don't know anybody who's been polygraphed for any clearance, including TS and SAP.

I got polygraphed to drive an armored car back in the day, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vile posted:

During the selection boards starting in October - Do I need to be physically present? I am going to be interviewing at jobs around the Tri-state area from October 15-November 2nd.

What service and whatnot? Maybe I missed this earlier. If it's AF you don't need to be around, your application package gets sent to the board and that's it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hammeredspace posted:

"Hey Master Chief! How about a little salute here for the Ensign!?" :downs:

Any master chief that puts an ensign in this position is an assclown.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hammeredspace posted:

Unless someone can attest to the intoxication of power that occurs when crossing over to the dark side.

What's the highest enlisted rank that can be called out for ignoring protocol?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We've had plenty of people posting about 60s and 70s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You scored an 81, didn't you?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wavelengths vs frequencies.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AF TA doesn't have to go to a degree program. There are restrictions, but it's not that strict. I know several people who got a PPL, or various IT certifications on the AF's dime.

Edit: VVV No idea. But I had a friend wrap up some IT cert program last year while deployed, and several people I went through UABMT with were smarter than me and got their PPLs during training. To this day I kick myself for not doing it. I was way too paranoid about flunking out and ending up in personnel or SF or something.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 28, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AFStealth posted:

AF will pay for a one-time certification on something. Aviation ground school counts, to get your FAA flying certificate. They won't pay for your flight time though, I've looked into it :(

Truth.

Also, get your ground school done while you're at Tyndall. No matter how paranoid people get, you're not going to flunk out because of it. If you flunk Tyndall, you were going to flunk anyway. Might as well get something out of it. Not doing the GS course while I was there is still the largest regret of my career.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They will not go somewhere else to get your stuff. You're moving from Point A to Point B...anything that's at another letter of the alphabet is your responsibility.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Get promoted.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sarah posted:

It's quite the shady looking award. It's signed, but they didn't waste any of the good paper on me. It looks copied and pasted. If in the future I decided to join a different branch or go into an officer program someones going to take one look at it and call it fake (there's obvious lines on the paper they printed it on).

I don't really care if the award doesn't look awesome and spectacular, I mean a NAM is a NAM, but it's not in my service record and not on my DD214, so I guess hopefully I don't lose it....

Just get it fixed. The worst that'll happen is it'll never make a difference and you wasted a little time. At best it'll help you sometime in the future, or maybe your grandkids get a kick out of it when they pull your records in 60 years for a school project.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I only know one person who's used it (or at least, who talked about it) and they said it worked as advertised. This was like 2 years ago, so I don't remember any details.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pucklynn posted:

Speaking of "those jobs"-- what do officers in the intel fields generally do? What kind of jobs are available?

I've only known a handful of intel officers. One was assigned to a flying (AWACS) squadron. She was goddamned awesome...able to find information on whatever we needed, package it up and brief it well. Very smart, very easy to work with, very competent (and cute, but married to a guy in the squadron across the street). Another was the chief of the ops group intel shop. Graduate of the Weapons School...and one of the good ones. Again, very smart, great at finding awesome info...got sidetracked by his personal curiosities though. The rest that I've met have basically been babysitters, trying to keep reins on some of the most dysfunctional airmen I've run across. No idea what their actual job is supposed to be, every time I've dealt with them it's been because their E-2s and E-3s are mouthing off to majors and ignoring work details and generally loving things up. Messing up ISOPREPs is a big deal, for example, but the person responsible wouldn't/couldn't fix it so we had to call one of the good ones in on the weekend so the O-5 in question could fly a real-world mission.

That turned into more of a rant against incompetence than I intended. I guess my point would be to push to go to an ops squadron if you make it into intel. But even a mediocre intel officer can be a huge asset, so wherever you get stuck, give it some effort.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

I don't know about AECP, because it's outside AFROTC, but in AFROTC you have to review your academic program with a cadre member every semester.

Does this kick in when you're contracted? I never did this in 2 years as a GMC.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

10 Beers posted:

So is being a civilian police officer on a military base like being a police officer anywhere else? Or is it more along the lines of doing stuff that I hear MPs have to do, like check IDs at the gate all day? How are civilian LEOs on bases viewed by all the military folks?

It kind of bothers me that a military agency is contracting out it's defense. But I haven't had any problems with the individuals themselves...quite a few of them are former military (I know one who's a retired chief out of Security Forces).

Edit: As an officer, however, I naturally long for the days when I was saluted at the gate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Go to Sheppard. The (civilian) gate guards there salute officers. Weirdest loving thing I've ever experienced. And it's not like one or two of them are doing it because they're a former SFS Chief or something...all of them do it; we eventually asked one of them one day and it's established policy with the contractor.

That's weird. At Tinker, they don't salute but they actually have a required greeting now. Apparently one of them said something to the effect of "What's up dude" to the ABW/CC. Though the retired chief I mentioned earlier salutes officers (or did, last time I went through).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Slippery posted:

Well, what WAS up?

Blood pressure, evidently.

millertime3250 posted:

What's the average size of a fighter wing? Specifically the 138th Fighter Wing based in Tulsa, OK.

People or airplanes?

The 138th is very non-standard. They're a fighter wing only because they have a fighter squadron assigned...only one. They have a weather flight, an engineering squadron, and some kind of space something-or-other.

The average fighter wing will be split into Groups. An operations group will include 3 or 4 fighter squadrons, an operations support squadron (basically admin), maybe a weather flight or some other random squadron-or-smaller unit. A maintenance group probably includes an aircraft maintenance squadron, maintenance operations squadron, and a maintenance squadron. A medical group (this depends if the fighter wing owns the base or if there's a dedicated Air Base Wing...the base owner will have a med group), which includes a couple of squadrons: medical ops, medical support, dental, etc. The mission support group includes squadrons like civil engineers security forces, contracting, force support, etc.

The 138th is not like that, and is much smaller than the average fighter wing.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 17, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rrail posted:

If something is broken but you label it as operating, it doesn't make it so.

:lol::lol::lol: You're not gonna last long in this Air Force, buddy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think we've identified the reason.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Slippery posted:

But no, seriously, if (let's say) a mission changes at Squadron X, it is possible that the manning will be increased. For maintenance every two years (I THINK) that LCOM (Logistics Composite Model, I think??) team comes out and studies your workload and number of people. They can add to your manning document such that you will be authorized more people.

I know you operate in a perfect world where manning, funding, and/or equipment is improved to compensate for increases in ops tempo, but I can assure you this doesn't happen (at least, not always). There are more appropriate places we can discuss current ops, but our worldwide commitment is up and our manning is down.

ABM in particular has been undermanned since the 90s. Most of that time it's been "critically undermanned." I'm not sure if we're still critical, but we definitely don't have enough people/funding to meet our requirements. If you want specifics we can talk on SIPR I guess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Do not put rank on deployed mail.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Army does rank on mail.

Weird, I heard it from Post Office people too, but even the examples on the USPS site have rank. I guess it's an AF thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

As long as it doesn't make a stop in the US, APO-APO is free.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I sent myself an email from my .mil to my hotmail this morning, with an attachment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't Cc you on that poo poo so you can post it on SA.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

**************** UNCLASSIFIED// ****************

Subject: ALARACT 346/2010 - WARRIOR TRANSITION COURSE (WTC) STOP
Originator: /C=US/O=U.S.
GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=ARMY/OU=ORGANIZATIONS/L=CONUS/L=WASHINGTON DC/OU=DA
PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS(UC)/OU=ALARACT RELEASE AUTHORITY(UC) STOP
DTG: 161908Z Nov 10 STOP
Precedence: ROUTINE STOP
DAC: General STOP
To: /C=US/O=U.S. GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=ARMY/OU=ORGANIZATIONS/OU=ADDRESS
LISTS/CN=AL ALARACT(UC)
/C=US/O=U.S. GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=AUTODIN PLAS/OU=AIG 6-AZ/OU=ALARACT STOP
--------------------------------------------------
UNCLASSIFIED// STOP
THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT BY THE PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER ON
BEHALF OF DA WASHINGTON DC//DAMO-TRI// STOP

SUBJECT: WARRIOR TRANSITION COURSE (WTC) STOP

REFERENCES: STOP

A. AR 350-1, ARMY TRAINING AND LEADER DEVELOPMENT, 18 DECEMBER 2009. STOP

B. AR 601-210, ACTIVE AND RESERVE COMPONENTS ENLISTMENT PROGRAM, 07 JUNE
2007. STOP

1. PURPOSE: DISSEMINATE GUIDANCE CONCERNING THE DISPOSITION OF THE WARRIOR
TRANSITION COURSE (WTC). STOP

2. EFFECTIVE 01 JAN 11, THE ARMY WILL SUSPEND USE OF THE WTC AS A MEANS TO
TRAIN PRIOR SERVICE (PS) PERSONNEL. IN ABSENCE OF WTC, ALL PS AIR FORCE,
NAVY OR COAST GUARD PERSONNEL, INCLUDING THEIR RESERVE COMPONENTS, WHO HAVE
NOT COMPLETED ARMY OR MARINE CORPS BASIC TRAINING, WILL ATTEND ARMY BASIC
COMBAT TRAINING (BCT). ALL PS PERSONNEL ACCESSING INTO THE ACTIVE ARMY WITH
A BREAK IN SERVICE OF MORE THAN 3 YEARS, REGARDLESS OF PRIOR SERVICE
AFFILIATION, WILL ATTEND BCT. STOP

3. HQDA IS STAFFING AN ARMY DIRECTIVE THAT WILL INCLUDE THE APPROVED POLICY
CHANGES FOR TRAINING PRIOR SERVICE PERSONNEL. HQDA G-37/TR AND HQDA G-1/MP
WILL INCORPORATE THESE CHANGES IN THE NEXT REVISIONS OF AR 350-1 AND AR
601-210, RESPECTIVELY. STOP

4. THE ARMY TRAINING DIRECTORATE POINT OF CONTACT FOR THIS MESSAGE IS HQDA,
DCS G-3/5/7 (DAMO-TRI) LTC JEFF HACKETT, DSN: 222-5910, COMM: (703)
692-5910, EMAIL: JEFFREY.HACKETT@US.ARMY.MIL. STOP

5. THE ARMY PERSONNEL DIRECTORATE POINT OF CONTACT FOR THIS MESSAGE IS HQDA,
DCS G-1 (DAPE-MPA) MR. ALPHONSA GREEN, DSN: 225-7490, COMM: (703) 695-7490 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (703) 695-7490 end_of_the_skype_highlighting,
EMAIL: ALPHONSA.D.GREEN@US.ARMY.MIL. STOP

6. THIS MESSAGE EXPIRES UPON PUBLISHING OF THE ARMY DIRECTIVE STATED AT
PARAGRAPH THREE ABOVE. STOP

7.EXPIRATION DATE CANNOT BE DETERMINED. STOP
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED STOP
Caveats: NONE STOP

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I sent a memorandum request to my buddy's supervisor requesting permission for him to him to go to lunch one day. It was a slow morning.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've seen most documents using lower case, but I think my most recent TDY orders were still caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Full Battle Rattle posted:

My favorite line from Generation Kill goes something like: "We do really stupid poo poo, and by some miracle nobody gets killed, and so we continue to do really stupid poo poo."

That's awesome. I made the point today that the only reason our system is so hosed up is because we've got too many people who care enough to actually do their damnedest to keep it from imploding, so we haven't FAILED hard enough for it to be noticed how hosed up the system is.

• Locked thread