Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

kombatMedik posted:

i figured as much, I've told him before to go to a different recruiter, this doesn't surprise me. He's got the waiver, so I'd assume he could go to someone else no problem. Or at least threaten it.

What MOS is your friend enlisting for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

iceslice posted:

Why do they play music at random hours of the day? Is there any historical significance or is it just a dude dropped in his magazine on the sound board? I'm mostly curious why I'm hearing poo poo at 23:30 every night.

If it's before Taps, it's probably Tattoo.

Tattoo originated during the Thirty Years War, 1618-1648, and in German was called "Zapfenstreich." At 9:00 P.M., as the call was sounded, all bungs (zapfen) had to be replaced in their barrels, signifying the end of nightly drinking. The provost guard then drew a chalk line (streich) across the bung so that it could not be reopened without evidence of tampering. Tattoo is the longest U.S. Army call, consisting of twenty- eight measures. The first eight are from the French call "Extinction de Feux" and the last twenty measures are from the British "First Post" - in turn adapted from an old Neapolitan Cavalry call "Il Silencio".

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/22tattoo.mp3

GreenMeat fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 30, 2010

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Veins McGee posted:

Does any service other than the Marines have music to signify when the chowhall is open?

The Army plays Mess...

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/20mess.mp3

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Comradephate posted:

are there any tricks to getting a specific MOS, or pretty much just keep bothering the recruiter until it opens up?

Just try to wait it out. Have your recruiter query the REQUEST system daily to see if the MOS you want comes open.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Quarterly Prophet posted:

Good luck getting opiates, most of the people I know who ever complain about pain are given a bunch of Motrin and told to gently caress off.

Not always. I have herniated discs and sciatica, and I told the doc I had occasional trouble sleeping due to the pain. He wrote me a one-month scrip for 90 Percocets along with 60 Flexeril and 90 Motrin. I really didn't expect to get so much medicine.

Of course, that's from a clinic at a TRADOC post and not the PA at a line unit aid station.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
They didn't wear the oval office caps. They had a black service cap with a brass army logo. For the life of me, I can't find a picture or a version of AR 670-1 that's old enough to portray the headgear. Did a GIS but all I found was this:

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Regicide posted:

My command does no passes, but can they restrict me to post say on a regular work day? If I just wanted to go out the gate for one reason or another. Do I have any sort of protection from that?

Nope. Your CO can revoke your pass privileges and effectively confine you to base.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
No, NCOs don't have that authority, at least in the Army:

AR 600-8-10 posted:

5–27. Rules to grant regular pass
a. A short, nonchargeable, authorized absence from post or place of duty during normal off duty hours is a regular pass. Non-duty periods of absence, other than the established or normal duty hours are considered as a pass period, to include official holidays (see table 5–1). For example, a regular pass might extend from Friday after duty until the beginning of duty on the following Tuesday.
b. The unit commander is the approval authority.
c. A soldier remains in an available-for-duty-status during normal off duty hours unless absence is authorized.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Regicide posted:

Well I got confirmation from the person who complained about it last year... they can't restrict you to post and my buddy went to JAG and they called the CSM of the Battalion so yeah. I don't think "can't take away from, but you can add to!" applies here.

AR 600-8-10 says the commander can restrict a soldier to post. Your local JAG has an interesting take on the regulations.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Suspension of pass privileges is a good way for a commander to motivate a soldier without resulting to NJP, but in my experience it's not used often. A bar to reenlistment is also good. It doesn't have to involve NJP, and if the soldier reforms and the CO lifts the bar, there's no permanent record in the soldier's file. if the soldier persists in shitbaggery, then the bar stays, the soldier ETSs, and there's a code in his DD214 that disallows later enlistment.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Ryand-Smith posted:

Hey, for clearance checks, they talk to your family as well as the people, right? Apparently I passed my nuke clearance, but I was curious about that.

They talk to the people you listed on your SF-86, and they ask them if there is anyone else that knows you well that they can talk to.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Slippery posted:

"The dental ladies are always attractive I'm totally gonna make a move!!"

Ah, youth.

Do the "youth" of your acquaintance actually talk like that?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Regicide posted:

Everything is good.

I do have a question though, do you still get to wear the Overseas Service Ribbon after a tour in Korea? I thought that was the point of the KSDM? But I keep hearing that you get both now.

Yes, you get both. Same with OIF/OEF deployments; you get to wear the campaign ribbon plus a digit on your OSR. I had to special order an 8 for my last DA photo.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Allia posted:

Can .mil email addresses receive mail sent from Hotmail/Yahoo/Gmail/AOL accounts?

Google has been little help.

Yes.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Buddy of mine got turned away from the navy because he had too many dependents. Go Navy. Of course, the army took him. The army will take anybody. Even with cataracts, they'd probably take him. He could probably have one eye and a wooden leg and they'd still take him, christ. Or maybe not, now that the DoD is belt tightening. But once upon a time.

Nope; no cataracts, even before the belt tightening. Not even Zatoichi.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
New Army Retention Control Point (RCP) info:

code:
2. EFFECTIVE 1 JUNE 2011, RA AND AGR TITLE 10 SOLDIERS MAY
PERFORM ACTIVE SERVICE (SEE NOTE 1) UP TO THEIR RETENTION CONTROL
POINT (RCP) OR AGE 62 FOR RA AND USAR OR AGE 60 FOR ARNG,
WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST. SOLDIERS MAY NOT EXCEED THE RCP AS SHOWN
BELOW, BY MORE THAN ONE MONTH.
ARMY RETENTION CONTROL POINTS
GRADE TOTAL ACTIVE SERVICE IN YEARS
PVT-PFC 5
CPL/SPC 8
CPL/SPC (PROMOTABLE) 12
SGT 13
SGT (PROMOTABLE) 15
SSG 20
SSG (PROMOTABLE) 26
SFC 26
SFC (PROMOTABLE) 29
1SG/MSG 29
1SG/MSG (PROMOTABLE) 32
CSM/SGM 32
Little bit less time for SGT and below to get promoted, looks like.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

the dude is on the automatic standing list, for RCP purposes does that make him promotable?

That seems like one of those angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin questions that's best left for HRC to answer.

Personally, I hope the answer's 'no'.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

What milper message was that so I can dig it up later?

It was an ALARACT that came out today. I'll check in the morning and post the number.
Glad you're looking out for the guy if you think he's got potential.

thetechnoloser posted:

Yes, you are promotable.

However, all it takes is a battalion commander to pull 'em off the integrated list (for ineffeciency, misconduct, etc, etc). Pull-and-chapter, problem solved.

I thought a company-level commander could do this?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

What milper message was that so I can dig it up later?

ALARACT_020_2010 dated 25 Jan 11.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

TANGO MIKE

YANKEE FOXTROT WHISKEY

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

No Butt Stuff posted:

Get proof? File an IG complaint if he keeps it up.

IG complaint would only work if there's something more tangible than a bad attitude from the PSG. Do your best to ignore the attitude and find ways to contribute until you're healed up. Make sure you have a copy of your profile w/ the commander's signature handy at all times, and if the PSG tries to force you to do things that you believe will further injure your ankle, or actually does something that will have a negative impact on you other than giving you the cold shoulder, ie; denigrating you in front of others because of your profile, holding up necessary paperwork, etc, then consider using your command team's open door policy prior to stampeding straight to the IG. In the meantime, do your best to avoid letting someone else's attitude destroy your own. Above all, don't blow up and go all insubordinate or otherwise do something that'll land you in actual trouble.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
On the enlisted side, I'd say 35L is closest to what you want to do. Unfortunately, you can't enlist directly into that MOS. Your best bet would be to enlist as a 35M and then apply for 35L when you are promoted/qualified to be promoted to Sergeant. You'd end up with a background in interrogation and source operations, and then move into counterintelligence.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

No Butt Stuff posted:

One (1) 35lb weight from the gym.

You can do this, but put pillows or something in first and put the weight on top in order to spare your lower back. Always put the heaviest stuff on top whenever you can.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Hey man, so....according to my ERB I have 209 loving points. Is this the finalized version of the new points and how do I update this poo poo? still with a 3355 or what

Some stuff from a FAQ:

d. Question: How will my current (3355 system) promotion point scores be affected by the promotion changes effective 1 June 2011?

Answer: Effective with 1 June 2011 promotions, you will have a revised promotion point score automatically calculated by using promotion point eligible data that exists in your Personnel and Training Records. Promotions effective for 1 June 2011 and after will use the Soldier‟s real-time score in calculating the monthly cut-off scores for each MOS.

a. Question: What is the procedure for Soldiers adding additional points following their board appearance? Once they have been integrated to the Promotion Standing List and affected changes through ERB updates, are there further requirements to ensure that the promotion points are updated?

Answer: After eMILPO and ATRRS updates, Soldiers should verify their PPW for correct promotion points by comparing their PPW with their ERB and training records. For further assistance, see your BDE/BN S1.
Steps to access your PPW:
- Soldiers (Private (E1) – Sergeant(5)) can log into the PPW from the AKO website: https://www.us.army.mil/
- Under Army Links click on Enlisted Promotions, at the bottom of the screen, check the box left of submit, then click the submit button. On the next screen, click CAC Login or type in your AKO username and password, then click submit.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

That PPW link is dead last I checked :mad:

Here are two blurbs from G1 that might help. The second one says that they should have at least started firing up the on-line PPW yesterday:

1. HOT!! IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED FOR CONVERSION TO NEW PROMOTION POINT WORKSHEET (PPW). From HRC: Testing of the new Promotion Point Worksheet (PPW) revealed 15,556 Promotable Soldiers E4/E5 will become "Not Eligible" when HRC loads the initial data into the PPW on 28 Apr 11. Attached with this post is a list depicting reasons the Soldiers will become ineligible. Immediate action is required by units to update the Soldiers data in eMILPO NLT COB 27 Apr 11. If this data is not updated the Soldiers will be removed from the Promotion Standing List. The largest population of Soldiers will become ineligible because their eMILPO APFT score has not been updated. There are also significant issues with incorrect military and civilian education level completed. Visit the following link for more information. https://forums.army.mil/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=1415490

2. CONVERSION TO NEW PROMOTION POINT WORKSHEET (PPW) IN PROGRESS. In regards to the transition to the new PPW, we have been receiving posts on S1NET this morning from Soldiers saying that their "promotable status" has been removed from their ORBs. This is due to the transition to the new PPW. Old points are being removed from the system, and the new points under the new PPW will appear (for those Soldiers who are still promotable) after the initial load of the new PPW is complete, which is currently scheduled for 28 Apr 11 (see para 1 above). https://forums.army.mil/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=1415490

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

VotGs posted:

Anybody have a -good- idea where brand new 19Ks might likely be assigned? And the likelihood of any particular post? Spouse is graduating OSUT in a few months, and I'm trying to get feelers about what I have to look forward to.

I can check requisitions on Monday, but new soldiers don't have much say on where they'll be stationed. Best I can do is tell you if there is a duty station that's trying to suck in a bunch of 10-level tankers, and then you can figure the odds.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Sure. Just jog my elbow if you don't hear from me by around noon (it's late and I'm drinking).

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

You put the dates of his entire enlistment.

Sure about that? ETS isn't like retirement...I don't think they work the same. It should be just like an end of tour award.

I'd look it up but it's Friday afternoon.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

My ETS award was my entire dates of my time in service man. Doesn't make it right but the people that wrote it had been doing this a minute too.

edit: though my entire TOS was spent within one brigade so yeah IDK man I'm talking out my rear end gain trying to steer LTs wrong thats what I'm here for

Yeah, that's a nice touch if you can get away with it. Meritorious service awards other than retirement are restricted to the period served under the recommending command, though.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

no doubt he'll walk out with an ARCOM, but you know he could look at the 638 and at least think "hey i got put in for a MSM but that dick head BN CDR who doesnt even know me and downgraded it :doom:" or think AB thinks he's a piece of poo poo for not even trying

This is the way to do it. If the MSM gets downgraded to an ARCOM at least the guy's got the 638 and narrative for an MSM in his records, which shows that his firstline thought he deserved it. There's no loving reason to rewrite. If leadership at each echelon on the way up doesn't like it, they just recommend downgrade and pencil in some comments. The awarding authority gets the final say, not mid-level management. It's in the regulation; why don't people get it?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

thetechnoloser posted:

Remember; the 638 only goes in your OMPF if and only if it was a downgraded award. Otherwise it is only the certificate.

Oh, I know. I put some eminently deserving NCOs in for BSMs last deployment, but they were downgraded en masse by whatever staff flunky was processing awards for the 4th ID commander. I made sure the writeups got to iPERMS, and wrote them stellar NCOERs. May be a coincidence, but all of 'em made SFC first look, which doesn't happen often in my MOS.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Carnival Rider posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about Korea, and I'm not really a barracks rat. Thing is, I'm getting married and then go to Korea a month after that. I've heard it's hard as poo poo to bring your family there, so I'm hosed for 2 years if this class isn't important enough to supersede Korea orders or I can't get something worked out.

Check here for command sponsorship info for Area I:

http://www.2id.korea.army.mil/commandsponsorship/introduction/

I got your email and am working your request, but the system's down.

e: processed and sent.

GreenMeat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 25, 2011

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Carnival Rider posted:

Welp, it's looking like if my class doesn't supersede orders to Korea I'm at the mercy of the force com level. I really hope I can bring my wife over, if not it'll be a grand "Hey, awesome getting married to you, I'm off for a year." I wouldn't mind if it was a deployment, I would make more money.

It sucks. I got married less than 24 hours before I shipped to Korea. Once I got my orders, we moved up the wedding date in order for her to be eligible for benefits.

My honeymoon was basically road head en route to the airport.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Quarterly Prophet posted:

What would you recommend?

Tons of free options other than Rosetta Stone out there.

Joint Language University:

http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/jlu2.0/HOME/index.asp

DLIFLC:

http://www.dliflc.edu/products.html

Special Operations Forces Teletraining System (SOFTS):

https://www.softsonline.org/

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Yeah, go to your PCM and get a TRICARE referral. I just did this for a melanoma check.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

TorpedoFish posted:

2. I'm apparently required to do some sort of online anti-terrorism class since I'm going OCONUS. Where the gently caress do I find it?

https://atlevel1.dtic.mil/at/

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
It's nearly half and half, though with Dari you're more likely to be at least marginally understood wherever you go. Also, Dari's significantly easier for a native English speaker to learn than Pashto.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Eyre Kneed posted:

Basic doesn't have a break for the Christmas/ New Year's holiday, does it? That sounds both dumb and really suspect to me.

Christmas Exodus is real.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Gordian posted:

Wannabe 35P here. I'm taking the DLAB tomorrow, any tips/tricks I should know about? I bought the Delta Gear study guide, so I feel somewhat prepared but at the same time I feel like this test is gonna be the end of me. I think my recruiter said I need to make a 115 on it, but I'm not sure that's right.

You need a minimum of 95 for a Cat I language (French, Spanish), and a maximum of 110 for a Cat IV language (Chinese, Pashto).

PM me if you fall a little short on the DLAB; I might could get you a waiver, depending on what sort of language knowledge background you have.

Edit: Or just let me know what questions you may have about 35P in general. Chances are your recruiter doesn't know much about the MOS.

GreenMeat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Nillerz posted:

I wanna go to Japan with my wife before I deploy. How exactly do I do this Space A poo poo?

http://www.amc.af.mil/amctravel/index.asp

• Locked thread