Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

psydude posted:

And this makes me wonder why more people don't consider UMD's distance learning program. It's popular among military and civilian students and gives you the exact same degree as if you were to sit in class at College Park.

e: From reading this forum and talking with professors, a good rule of thumb is to avoid any college that has a campus on a military base. They are, more or less, diploma mills. If you are interested in becoming a highschool teacher, you will eventually have to pursue a master's degree. Very few worthwhile master's programs will accept a certificate from a diploma mill.

A diploma mill gives out a fake degree from a real college and a degree mill gives out a real degree from a fake (read: non-accredited) college. Neither applies to (most?) satellite campuses on military bases. Just because it carries a negative stigma based on the military's inherent appeal to authority does not mean it is not a viable option for members. Also, UMUC falls under the same category you just derided.

Here's what it comes down to: Are you staying in gov't and not ambitious enough to go beyond O-5 or GS-15? If so, a degree is a degree is a degree no matter where you got it from for non-science related jobs, at both the bachelor's and master's level. Your work experience is what will matter. Learn the scams too, there are GS-14s out there with no degree, and GS-15s with an associate's. That's, in grover terms, being an O-5 and O-6 with no and some post-high school education. Think about that.

Are you getting out of gov't? If you got an accredited BA, once again, nobody gives a gently caress if you have a resume that backs up your experience. Master's would still matter, but the impetus is shifting away from that slowly but surely, at least in gov't related private sector jobs.

If you're that concerned with what school you have put down on your undergrad, which is the equivalent of a HS diploma nowadays, then your resume sucks in the first place and have far more underlying problems to worry about. Learn how to write a resume, for starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

psydude posted:

This is, honestly, where your undergraduate school does make a difference. Certain programs at certain schools are going to have much better industry connections than other programs. In many cases, this can mean the difference between getting an internship and not getting an internship, which, of course, affects your resume. And that is what is going to make the difference between your undergraduate degree simply being another highschool diploma or your undergraduate education actually setting you up for success.

e: In these discussions, I always wonder why more people don't chime in with "Go to your local community college."

Once again, if after being in the military your strongest resume bullet or network connection is which school you went to for undergrad, you done hosed up. If you didn't set yourself up for success in the 4+ years of service then going to a bigger name school so people can ooh and aah for the few seconds they glance over your resume isn't going to do much good, and if you haven't made any network connections in the 4+ years of service then you weren't that good at your job.

Maybe people don't mention CC because it's an AA, which is a complete non-starter? A bachelor's from any accredited place will check the bachelor's box...and an associate's...won't. Not a hard concept, so that's why most people don't wonder why, I suppose. v:shobon:v

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

psydude posted:

They offer night classes closeby at a very affordable rate. After completing the coursework there, you can transfer those credits to any accredited university.

No, you can sometimes transfer some of those credits to some accredited universities. And generally only those that you just railed against. And why go to CC when you can CLEP?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

psydude posted:

No, CLEP is more widely accepted at those institutions I just railed against. I can almost guarantee that any community college coursework will transfer to a public university in that same state.

Yes, CLEP is the equivalent of CC in most places. You can guarantee it all you want, it doesn't make it true. It also doesn't make CLEP worth any less than CC credit either. You still haven't made a cogent argument against the institutions you railed against, regardless.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

thehustler posted:

Non-mil goon here who just loves learning about hardware. I know about HUDs and poo poo in aircraft, but what do they call it when the display is inside the helmet, what is that device called. Is it part of the visor, or some fold down screen thing.

Does that even exist or am I going mad?

Are they better than HUDs? I know with some craft you can look off in a different direction to that of travel and aim weapons and the like, yeah?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmet_mounted_display is what you're looking for.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

sweetnsalty posted:

Im doing my Cadet Troop Leadership Training at FT Hood and the LT who im following around thought it would be a good assignment.

What a coincidence, 3rdEye is a LT from Ft. Hood and he loves The Dark Knight.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Polys and clearances are not mutually inclusive and specific agencies and branches of the military have specific requirements for them, regardless of your status as military, civilian or contractor. The end. Stop making it more complicated than it is ("slipperifying").

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Comradephate posted:

The only one I had to guess on was one asking what set lasers apart from other types of light, the answer being that all of the light is the same frequency.

What's "the" light? And why are they the same frequency, but not lasers?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Godholio posted:

Wavelengths vs frequencies.

Terms would be interchangeable for a question like that since they're inversely proportional anyway, still have no idea what he was answering though that would make all non-lasers have the same f or λ.

Comradephate posted:

I meant wavelength. Good thing it's multiple choice because I am doubleplus unsmart.

In my defence, I was at work when I typed that. At work I try my best to shut my brain off so I don't want to kill myself.

I still have no idea what the test actually asked...what was it? I'm a bit surprised that's on the ASVAB regardless, considering the average person who takes that test. I had to teach a guy who was an ELINTer by trade in the Navy for 5 years about wave properties, so if we can't expect people with professional training to know, expecting prospective enlistees to is a bit harsh. v:shobon:v

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Comradephate posted:

I can't remember the exact question. The choices were Infared, Ultraviolet, All the same wavelength, or visible light, I believe. I think the upshot was to choose the one that was always true for lasers. (I know they make multi-wavelength lasers, I guess the asvab doesn't.)
All those answers are directly affected by wavelength and none are always true for lasers...I give up, use this.:) Lasers can theoretically be any frequency or wavelength along the EM spectrum.

quote:

The paper test has a wide spread of difficulty. There are questions to make sure you can actually read/tell the difference between a mammal or amphibian, all the way up to higher HS science questions.

Incidentally, the one I took also had a question asking which one of these choices lays eggs.
E: And it wasn't anything "tricky" like platypodes, either. one of the choices was a giraffe.

Yeah, it's definitely not a hard test, I don't even recall anything beyond freshman year HS stuff in there, so physics seems out of place. Don't take this as a knock on you, just drawing a comparison here, but you seem reasonably intelligent yet you don't realize that either your answers or the question can't be true based on the relational properties so someone from a shithole state and a shithole school system would have an even bigger problem with questions like that.

Questions like that would be a good thing if the ASVAB wasn't so irrelevant once you score over a 60 anyway, since that already unlocks 90%+ of jobs. Maybe an ASVAB II for those that score 90+ featuring actual hard poo poo for the better jobs would incentivize people to do better, instead of not caring that you miss the random sampling of stuff meant for the non-retards.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

grover posted:

Lasers are coherent light. You can have a normal light that's all one f/λ; the difference is that in a laser, the waves are all perfectly in phase.

I expect every prospective recruit reading this thread to get this question right on the ASVAB :colbert:

:woop: Nobody believed me when I said your engineering background was going to contribute to this forum, but I totally learned something! Thanks, grover!

quote:

Can tuition assistance pay for non-college off duty education? Like language lessons and poo poo like that? Im taking Farsi right now and its kinda expensive, would be nice for the government to pay for it.

YMMV depending on service, but in the AF it has to go towards a degree program, and must be higher than one you've already obtained. Knowing you though, you could use your TA for a GED. :colbert:

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Godholio posted:

AF TA doesn't have to go to a degree program. There are restrictions, but it's not that strict. I know several people who got a PPL, or various IT certifications on the AF's dime.

Hmm...it says you need a degree plan on record, so does that mean you just need one but the courses you take don't necessarily have to do with that degree plan?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

You have the plague? That is why you shouldn't have made a juicy girl your girlfriend.

That's why he's better at the military than you might think.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

ifire posted:

Welp, I'm back for another question. After learning my Army Guard unit is moving 60+ miles away in the coming months, I have decided that I'm going to try to transfer to the AF. Originally I was just going to try to go Air Guard but after reading the Civilian thread and promptly disregarding everything in it I've been flirting with the idea of going active AF. I have 3 years in the guard as Infantry. Anyone know how feasible it would be?

The AF is only taking priors under a critical jobs list, and infantry is probably not one of them.

http://www.airforce.com/contact-us/faq/prior-service/

quote:

You must hold an AFSC, MOS, or NEC, which will qualify, or directly convert to an Air Force Specialty. If not, the Air Force Prior Service program is not applicable to you.
Your Air Force Recruiter has a listing of jobs which we are currently looking for, based on years of service, and your successful qualifying.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

ifire posted:

I saw that but also saw on a few non-official sites starting that the AF considers only those who've served 24 months on active duty as "prior service" and less than that as "previous service" who are processed differently. It's probably just me getting my hopes up though.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/priorservice.htm

I would copy/paste the relevant section but I'm on my phone and it is failing me.

EDIT: Now that I'm home, I can post the stuff:

Sounds like you'll just have to call and find out, but that's good info to know. Thanks!

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Veins McGee posted:

Initial training time counts starting at 24months.

I don't get what you mean by this, like if you're in initial training for over 24 months it counts?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Kinda sorta.

Little jimmy went to Infantry OSUT, which is 3 months (for easy rounding)

He has 0 days active time for his Post 9/11 GI bill.

Little jimmy deploys once, on title 10 or 32, for 12 months.

He has 12 months active time for his Post 9/11 GI bill.

He deploys again for 12 months.

You can deploy to a warzone under title 32?

quote:

He now has 27 months active time for his Post 9/11 GI bill (12+12+3)
That's not a bad deal, I have over 18 months in training, so if I hit 24 months "deployed" time (can you clarify? I have lots of title 10 time under OEF/OIF/ONE but not all overseas) then I can get 100% benefit since it requires 36 months?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Veins McGee posted:

I think he meant to use the word "activated" vs "deployed". The law just changed to include Title 32 activations for the purposes of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit calculation.

24 months on some form of active duty since 9/11/2001(other than annual training or IADT). If you have 24 months of accumulated AD time, outside of your initial training, then your benefit is calculated including your initial training time.

Holy poo poo, that's awesome, I need to look at my point summary then because I'm drat close if it counts any non-AT/IDT time.

Does non-initial training count towards the 24 months of AD? I went to OTS/tech school last year (with initial training back in 2003), so I would actually break the 24 month threshold if that's counted.

revenance fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 22, 2011

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Vasudus posted:

No, annual training does not count. Generally, it has to be DD214-generational service. So if you deployed on 10, did some time loving around on 32 and it adds up past 24 months then yeah, your schools count.

No, not talking about annual training. I was activated (not deployed) for OTS (3.5 months) and tech school (7 months) last year (OCS and OBC for Army equiv), but since I'm prior E it's not "initial training", so I'm wondering if those orders count towards the 24 months or if I can't tack them on until after I meet the 24 month criteria. I am getting a DD-214 out of those schools.

quote:

Say you join the reserves and get out of all your entry training. Can you just volunteer for a deployment or do you just have to wait for your unit to get assigned to one?

For the AF, that's largely up to your supervisor and your career field (and your skill level to a slightly lesser extent). I spent the first 4 years volunteering for a bunch of crap as an individual augmentee but then I find other reservists who have never been let go by their unit their entire careers.

revenance fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 22, 2011

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Veins McGee posted:

Probably something you should ask the VA but I would imagine that they do count as initial training(since for anyone else they would be initial training).

Working for your unit or for a nearby command(Active Reserve, PTAD...there's other acronyms) counts towards your benefit time.

I found this on ARPC:
http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=15635

quote:

*Excludes time in Basic Military Training and/or Skill Training. Re-training skill level schools may count toward qualifying service.

But that's from 2009...I can't seem to find more updated stuff and the VA website for the bill doesn't seem to address it. Guess I'll go ask them, thanks.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

gleep glop posted:

My unit is telling me I need to fill out my own NCOER support form. This will only be my second ever NCOER, the first coming from active duty. This is wrong correct? Isn't it essentially rating myself?

Hahaha, yes, yes it is. Welcome to the reserves/guard.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

gleep glop posted:

Alright I thought so. Time to tell them gently caress no I guess.

Just FYI they will halfass the poo poo out of your performance reports if you make them do their job.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Nillerz posted:

Alright, so I would need to get the number for the PAX terminal nearest to me (I live near Rochester), and according to what you're saying, since I'm east coast, I'll probably have to do a flight to a west-coast base first. This multiplies the probability of issues.

I am in the National Guard, so I don't have to worry about leave-time, but if I get stuck in western US, are there base amenities or do I have to get a hotel?

Guard/reserve can only do CONUS, I think. You can stay on bases if they have room, but with no orders they can just deny you if they have no room (rather than give you non-a slips). McGuire is your closest if you're in NY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Smoke Crack posted:

What's up with IRR promotions? Is it a (pointless) Marine thing or what?

I haven't figured the system out yet but my previous flight leader picked up O-4/O-5 in the IRR before jumping back into the active reserves to get her O-6...

• Locked thread