Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Legal/Separation question:
The other day I was driving to work. I feel asleep momentarily at the wheel, woke up off the road and attempted to correct but due to the grade and condition of the ground I wasn't able to and ended up hitting some small trees and then tipping my jeep over. Now, because I am in Virginia and they're tough on traffic violations this is a reckless driving ticket(misdemeanor). I received this ticket on base but it's a violation of state code so somehow someway it's going to be tried by a Federal Court.

I'm an activated reservist and I was in the process of demobilizing. As in, friday I was going to start terminal leave. However, now I'm in a legal hold status.

Is this grounds for a hold status? I wasn't drunk and nor had I been drinking. I offered to blow but they declined. I did not sustain any injuries nor was anyone else injured. No property other than my own was damaged. As far as I can tell, I'm not in violation of any article of the UCMJ or Federal Law and it's not a felony offense in the state of Virginia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Does any service other than the Marines have music to signify when the chowhall is open?

vains
May 26, 2004

Regicide posted:

See I'm trying to find some regulation to back me because of a friend of mine who recently ETS was flagged for either PT failure, or being overweight. He went to JAG apparently and they said that it was a big no-no and our company got in trouble. That was an entirely different chain of command though so it could have "slipped" their minds. I heard my first line supervisor the other day trying to tell a soldier who was also flagged that he was restricted to base.

Is going to JAG as simple as just walking in and asking to talk to somebody?

Don't you have the right to "request mast" in the army? i.e. You have the right to speak to your boss's boss and so on up the chain until you feel you're problem is resolved. Backdooring your command will not engender yourself to them. Especially if you're whining over the fact that you're fat or whatever.

vains
May 26, 2004

Regicide posted:

Yes, I do but if they ever come down on for going off post I want to have something to back me up... hell, my company commander has given me a ride off post when he saw me waiting at the bus stop. It's just my first line supervisor that I am worried about. If that's the rules and most NCO's and officers just look the other way? OK. But then there's that one NCO, on that one bad day that flips his poo poo... ya know?

Then don't do the things that piss him off? Liberty or pass is a privilege not a right. Though, I'm pretty sure that NCOs do not have the right to restrict your liberty.

vains
May 26, 2004

Isaac Asimov posted:

Yeh, they piss test you on the third day.

We all self-referred for ASAP on the second day, just in case the docs ignored all our medical records(each one of our medical exemptions and appeals had already been dissapproved before we showed up). We found out that if you wrote down that you had been abusing oxycontin(percocet etc) on your ASAP counseling and packet, even if you pissed clean, that you would be barred from deployment and therefore unable to remain in the IRR.
If you happen to not get out of it for whatever reason(like if you only said you use THC), once you leave to go to your unit the ASAP counseling disappears, so even if you don't use drugs its one more way to get out of there. If you piss hot without a self-referral you will get an Article 15 and you will still be sent to your next unit.

So, wait. Piss hot at an IRR recall and you get orders?

vains
May 26, 2004

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Ok, what I mean is that IRR recall they may or may not activate you. You'd have to do a hard drug for you to get out of it. If you do something like that though, they'll do article 15 poo poo to take away your benefits. You might as well just not show up if you are going the hard drug route.

So, in a military, where in most branches you get kicked out/NJPed down to to E-1, you can piss hot for weed at your IRR recall and still possibly get orders? How does this make sense to anyone?

I know the Army isn't that desperate for guys. In either case, recalling from the IRR is absolutely horseshit in all but the most unusual occassions. Raise the bonuses enough to get the proper retention out of the guys that want to be in and let the guys who don't gently caress off to do whatever(until we invade N. Korea or whatever).

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Let me get this straight - you get discharged from the army, go on IRR, have to come in (where?) to get something (what?), and they'll piss test you during this process. If you come up hot, depending on the drug, you'll get orders to somewhere, whereas if you're clean they'll just leave you alone. What?

I need to look at my contract again. I don't think I signed up for anything involving the reserves after my time is up, but it's not anything I want to do, and I am very much looking forward to being done with the army when I'm done.

I can almost guarantee that you have some period of time, probably 4, in the IRR.

vains
May 26, 2004

psydude posted:

Most contracts total 8 years, usually 4 active/4 IRR. Some contracts are 6 active, 2 IRR, but you can always go 4 active/4 select reserve or 6 active/2 select reserve.

You could do national call to service and get something wacky like 2 years active, 4 select reserve and 2 IRR or something.

vains
May 26, 2004

JAG Officer/Legal question:
Is it common for a military installation to charge persons aboard said installation with (Driving only maybe?)violations of the host state? I know that it goes to a USDC, but who prosecutes the case?

vains
May 26, 2004

JohnnyHildo posted:

It is common for civilian DOD police to charge individuals under the Assimilative Crimes Act. Basically the ACA makes anything that is a state law offense a federal offense if there is no specific federal statute addressing the issue. The tickets are prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office.

So, the key word here is civilian DOD police? What entity receives any money if a person is fined? Who is responsible for jailing?

vains fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 13, 2010

vains
May 26, 2004

JohnnyHildo posted:

I could be wrong, but I though nearly every base is patrolled by civilian DOD component police now, with MP/SPs occasionally augmenting them in a car. Aside from court costs, the funds from any fine are deposited in the Crime Victims Fund, administered by the DOJ. I'm not sure what you mean by jailing. If you mean if you don't pay the fine or show up, then I presume the US Marshal's Service would receive the warrant.

Edit: Nevermind.

Say the state in question is Virginia, which charges like $2000 on top of any civil fines for a DUI or reckless. Is this still assessed? I don't think it's part of VSC or at least the part that deals with traffic.

vains fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 14, 2010

vains
May 26, 2004

How many days after demobilizing do you get before being required to attend drill?

vains
May 26, 2004

Slippery posted:

Yes, the military (AF at least) will pay for MSF basic or expert course (or both eventually, whatever.) Talk to your safety office, there are a few forms to fill out (not too bad, need like supervisor, shirt and CC signatures on the MSF 'permission' one I think.) To actually be allowed to ride on base once you have your MSF done (you need basic at least) is a tad more involved (read: more briefings/forms) but still nothing insane.

USMC will pay for it, provide a motorcycle and you get out of work. ATV classes too and probably some other stuff.

vains
May 26, 2004

Is there any point in going to the VA for anxiety treatment? From what I've read, the side effects of anti-anxiety meds are worse than the anxiety itself and I don't feel like driving to a VA hospital for counseling or whatever. Anyone have any experience with this?

vains fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 21, 2011

vains
May 26, 2004

Tony Montana posted:

So, Generation Kill is just being aired on TV here in Australia and after seeing an episode I've gotten the whole series and I'm watching it.

From you guys that have really been there in it, how close is this to the truth? The incompetence is mind boggling and seemingly criminal. The focus on gaining favor with superiors and advancing your career over making good decisions that benefit all involved.

To the point where I almost don't want to finish watching it. It's not 'Band of Brothers' style awesome, watching manly feats of battle and steely eyed professionals getting poo poo done. It's a bunch of immature and crazed idiots, drawing all the wrong conclusions. It's the movie 'Jarhead' but worse.

Is the the reality of it? In the absence of an organized and formidable opponent like the Nazis the US Armed Forces are .. this? Or was it the same in the 40s, we've just idealized the characters and events to the extent all we have now are rosy-colored legends?

Consider the sources that were used to create "Band of Brothers" and "Generation Kill".

I don't know exactly what sources Stephen Ambrose used to write his book. He likely used the unit diary(chronicled the events/actions of the unit), interviews with some of the men(Both interviews conducted by others and his own), letters etc. Obviously, some information(either forgotten, not recorded, destroyed, documents lost) was lost in the time that passed between the events and the time of the writing. Things like conversations between the individuals, drunken nights, petty fights, their opinions or thoughts at the time tend to be forgotten or their nature fundamentally altered by the passage of time. Not only that, the war itself represented a hugely idealized piece of time in American history. The idealization of this period itself will cause memories/thoughts/beliefs to change in those that experienced.

On the other hand, the guy that wrote "Generation Kill" was a first hand observer to many of these events. Those events that he did not personally witness he likely was able to interview the men immediately after they occurred. His observations are a lot more raw and visceral. The men who are the topic of the book didn't have time or opportunity to reflect on the events. Thus, their opinions/ideals/reactions haven't had opportunity to be softened/changed by time/changed by contact with regular people(the guys in "Generation Kill" had spent like 1-2 months with little contact to the outside world or people who aren't themselves Marines). Not only that, his book wasn't intended to be a scholarly but instead entertainment. There is a clear distinction in the scope and focus in his writing than that of Ambrose.

To put in a nutshell, Ambrose had to write about history by reading what the people who had experienced it wrote(and who also likely did not record every single detail that they experienced exactly as it was) or what they said 4-5 decades after the war(memory is not perfect, beliefs change). Wright, for the most part, experienced the events first hand. He was able to provide a snapshot of history and record extraordinary detail. Not only that, but as an entertainment writer he likely desired to record the more extraordinary portions of his experience.

vains
May 26, 2004

old dog child posted:

Probably a dumb question:

Is there a way to find out when/where a unit is deploying before I get there? I'm hearing through the grapevine that the guard unit I'm supposed to go to after AIT is supposedly deploying "soon" but I don't know any way to confirm that.

I have a feeling I won't know poo poo until I get out of training though.

Call the unit and ask.

vains
May 26, 2004

Rrail posted:

I'm not military anymore good sir.

I'll stay away from Serpa. :)

Just get whatever Safariland holster fits a Glock 19. Thigh rigs can get annoying, so buy a cheapo shoulder holster or belt holster/good belt for fobbing it up.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6004

vains fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 6, 2011

vains
May 26, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Like I said in the Navy thread, I had to get the big toenail on my right foot removed yesterday due to knicking it halfway off putting my boot on yesterday morning.

Any words of wisdom from the GiP contingent?

Trim your toenails more often?

vains
May 26, 2004

Our Gay Apparel posted:

And also salary doesn't mean poo poo to the military, each service member is expensive as gently caress because of all the absurd benefits.

Members of Congress get similar benefits.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscongress/a/congresspay.htm

vains
May 26, 2004

Barracuda Bang! posted:

What language is more useful for US service members in Afghanistan, Dari or Pashto?

Depends on where you are. Pashto is more commonly spoken in the south where the majority of Pashtuns live.

vains
May 26, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Can anyone of you more knowledgable folks identify the various tanks and other tracked vehicles in this video?
[edit]Never mind, the video was removed by the user.

And can anyone identify this stubby looking tank?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVctIkhCBkY
It's apparently being used by the rebels in the Nafusa mountains.

T-62 It's hard to tell since the video looks horizontally compressed and the tank is obscured by dust in the only zoom shot.
Edit: The shape of the turret identifies it as a combloc tank and the unsupported suspension and number of drive wheels(T-72 has 6 and a skirt usually, T-54/55 has 5 but irregularly spaced) to me say t-62. It would be easier to tell if the video was higher res so you could see some details that would clinch it. A T-62 makes sense since the Libyans had them in their arsenal.

vains fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 3, 2011

vains
May 26, 2004

GreenMeat posted:

Christmas Exodus is real.

For most branches, if you're at Marine Corps bootcamp you get to enjoy cleaning or getting hosed up all day on Christmas and New Years.

vains
May 26, 2004

Snoop Rocket posted:

I'll give it my best shot.

If, in the map you provided, the vehicle in Point A (first 48 seconds) is en route to Point B (48 onwards), taking a look at the shadows of objects such as the truck @ :19 tells me it is in the evening. The route they're taking is NW, and based on the position of the sun in relation to their position, I would safely bet that the video was shot around 6-8 PM. However, I have no idea what the summer days and nights are like in Libya. It could be a later frame than that based on how their seasons are.

Or I could just be totally wrong.

I agree. The direction of travel in the initial portion of the video is generally northwards, so the sun is in the west and low in the sky.

vains fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 12, 2011

vains
May 26, 2004

gleep glop posted:

I live in a very anti military area in New Jersey. We actually had a Marine on leave from Afghan a few months ago get beaten to death because he was a vet.

The closest thing that pops up is a Marine on leave from Iraq shot to death in a carjacking. http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2011/06/funeral_for_jersey_city_marine.html

Was this like a gang related killing or some hippies came at him with a pillowcase full of granola?

vains
May 26, 2004

gleep glop posted:

I apologize, I asked my dad about it and he wasn't killed, I must have mixed these two up, I didn't mean to exaggerate. The one who was beaten was basically by a bunch of young college kids who were desperate for attention.

I wasn't trying to jump down your poo poo, it just piqued my interest.

vains
May 26, 2004

Smoke Crack posted:

Article 85
Desertion

Maximum punishment.

(1) Completed or attempted desertion with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 5 years.

(2) Other cases of completed or attempted desertion.

(a) Terminated by apprehension. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 3 years.
(b) Terminated otherwise. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 2 years.

(3) In time of war. Death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.

Article 86
Absence without leave

Maximum punishment.

(1) Failing to go to, or going from, the appointed place of duty. Confinement for 1 month and forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 1 month.

(2) Absence from unit, organization, or other place of duty.

(a) For not more than 3 days. Confinement for 1 month and forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 1 month.

(b) For more than 3 days but not more than 30 days. Confinement for 6 months and forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 6months.

(c) For more than 30 days. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 1 year.

(d) For more than 30 days and terminated by apprehension. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 18 months.

(3) From guard or watch. Confinement f o r 3 months and forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 3 months.

(4) From guard or watch with intent to abandon. Bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 6 months.

(5) With intent to avoid maneuvers or field exercises. Bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 6 months.

They don't really do that. Guys that stop showing up to drill will eventually just get seperated OTH. Maybe if you skip out on federal activation orders they might put a warrant out or something.

vains
May 26, 2004

Nillerz posted:

Are they a fake school? Their name sounds fake.

They're a real school, part of the University of Maryland system(Like UM-BC or UM-College Park etc)

vains
May 26, 2004

Vasudus posted:

36 months on active duty.

edit: not time for training. So you're looking at 3 full deployments/time on Title 32.

Initial training time counts starting at 24months.

vains fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 22, 2011

vains
May 26, 2004

revenance posted:

You can deploy to a warzone under title 32?

That's not a bad deal, I have over 18 months in training, so if I hit 24 months "deployed" time (can you clarify? I have lots of title 10 time under OEF/OIF/ONE but not all overseas) then I can get 100% benefit since it requires 36 months?

I think he meant to use the word "activated" vs "deployed". The law just changed to include Title 32 activations for the purposes of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit calculation.

24 months on some form of active duty since 9/11/2001(other than annual training or IADT). If you have 24 months of accumulated AD time, outside of your initial training, then your benefit is calculated including your initial training time.

vains
May 26, 2004

revenance posted:

No, not talking about annual training. I was activated (not deployed) for OTS (3.5 months) and tech school (7 months) last year, but since I'm prior E it's not "initial training", so I'm wondering if those orders count towards the 24 months or if I can't tack them on until after I meet the 24 month criteria. I am getting a DD-214 out of those schools.

Probably something you should ask the VA but I would imagine that they do count as initial training(since for anyone else they would be initial training).

Working for your unit or for a nearby command(Active Reserve, PTAD...there's other acronyms) counts towards your benefit time.

Smoke Crack posted:

It's gonna be more than 3 deployments after January 2012.

(read 9 month deployments)

Plus 3-5 months at the front end and a month or 2 at the back end. For reservists/NG, you accrue active duty time from the second you are activated, not the second you step foot in Afghan/Iraq.

vains
May 26, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

7.5EE

You have choad feet.

vains
May 26, 2004

Smoke Crack posted:

What's up with IRR promotions? Is it a (pointless) Marine thing or what?

The IRR and the SMCR(drilling reserve) compete in the same pool for promotion to E-4 and E-5. As far as I know, promotion to E-6 in the IRR is non-competitive.

IRR promotions seem to exist to encourage former-AD Marines to affiliate and drill with a reserve unit. For obvious reasons, the Marine Corps wants former-AD guys in reserve units. It saves the Marine Corps money on training and it injects experienced Marines into the mix. It also slows SMCR promotions to a sane level. If the two weren't lumped together, there would be 2-3 year Cpls(instead of 4-6yr Cpls) in the SMCR.

edit: No clue on the other branches.

vains
May 26, 2004

gleep glop posted:

Hypothetically, if I was ballin', would they let me rent an Abrams to joy ride in?

pfftt...just steal one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vESIVemfG8

vains
May 26, 2004

SirEverlast posted:

Pashto. Unless you are going to Kabul, Pashto is the primary language of the people out on the street. I attended DLI for Pashto and I had no problems communicating with 85% of the people in RC East. They were really receptive to me speaking it, and it really helped my unit's mission.

Dari is mostly spoken in the north part of the country. Pashto is spoken most places but especially in the south.

vains
May 26, 2004

psydude posted:

Dumb question: do you get to draw BAH for AT?

No

vvv edit: Your orders will tell you for sure but I've never drawn BAH at AT and I've never heard of anyone doing it. Since you will be inhabiting government quarters, or be quartered at the expense of the US govt, they're probably not gonna pay your rent too.

vains fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 17, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

AT is BAH Type II. Unless it's different for officers, which it could be. As an E5, I usually get about 1500 net after taxes thanks to BAH Type II.

What the gently caress? I don't have any copies but I'm pretty sure my orders always said something about not getting BAH.

http://militarypay.defense.gov/pay/bah/02_types.html

vains fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 18, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

HeyEng posted:

Do we have any tank dudes in here? I was wondering how do you guys prep before taking the tank out. For a jet, we mission plan, brief, preflight, then go fly, and debrief. Is that the same kind of process or do you guys hop in and do tank poo poo?

Yeah, you have to do PMCS and get a briefing etc.

vains
May 26, 2004

Oxford Comma posted:

If you want a non-cliche high-speed low-drag kinda guy, consider making him Air Force Security.

Those security forces dudes at Manas looked like some real hard motherfuckers.

vains
May 26, 2004

vacation in merica posted:

National Defense Service Medal, Army Service Ribbon (or whatever branch I guess), Global War on Terrorism Medal (NOT THE EXPEDITIONARY MEDAL)

GWOT Service Medal

vains
May 26, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

3 NZ soldiers died last week in Bamiyan Province when their humvee was hit by a roadside bomb. Various talking heads and 20/20 hindsight ignoramuses are sure that they should have been in an MRAP (These people had never heard of them 2 weeks ago) instead and that US forces do not use humvees in combat operations. I'm dubious about this - how widely used are humvees currently in AFG?

Link to news story

Also, How would these MRAP vehicles compare to LAVs for mine resistance?

LAVs do not offer very good protection against IEDs. They're better than being on foot(in so far as surviving the blast) but not remotely as good as an MRAP.

The bottom of the hull is flat and the armor is thin. I don't know how the seats are set up in an GenIII LAV but they're probably benches(so a large risk of fractured skulls and broken necks from bouncing off the roof of the hull).

vains fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Godholio posted:

They're not being replaced across the board by MRAPs. There's a very specific reason they're going away in Afghanistan, which doesn't apply everywhere. And there's a lot more going on at any given time for the US military than that one operation.

In theory, a lot of HMMWVs are supposed to get replaced by whatever wins the JLTV program.

• Locked thread