Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh I know. I understand a lot of their misery now. It's just something I didn't know before hand and it always cracks me up everytime they're trying to make me drag them to do "medical poo poo."

It's loosely in response to the "poo poo movies get wrong."

Also where the hell are these giant obstacle courses I always see in movies/tv shows?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 22, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 22, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

poo poo, I have PTSD from reading some of the stories in that thread.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Am I the only one who has done a MOPP gear hike?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yes, think of it as free leave.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

We need that Military medicine thread again and that in the op

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Didn't we have a VA/disability thread already a while ago?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

How much leave can you have saved up? I'm at about 40 and we're told we most likely won't get pre-deployment leave. Training (sitting in the defense) needs to be done!

I thought it was 75 but didn't it change to 60? It changes when you're deployed, correct? Because this deployment I'll definitely be over my limit regardless. And they don't really let us use leave outside of a holiday leave block, ugh

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So if I'm deployed and at 90 days I'll lose everything past 75 after the New Year?

I need to figure out a way to take leave. Some bullshit.

Here it's paper routing again and my chain is the kind that would be all "HAHA NOPE YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR MIND" and not even route it then tell me to gently caress off.

Some dude just got married and got denied house hunting leave because the a-LPO "didn't get it when he got married"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah we had a 2 week holiday stand down for xmas and that's it. Told probably no pre-deployment leave. And we're always training and I'm responsibly for 30-40 dudes so it fucks it up even more. I don't even know why we're paper routing. My last command with the electronic routing and auto check in/out was awesome.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Is your chain of command allowed to ask for donations or monthly "dues" as they call it? They say it's MWR. Pretty much it's for making paddles for people who PCS/EAS.

I'm not trying to sea lawyer just curious. That's like 40 dudes at least.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Because they're too busy outside smoking and talking about football

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 22, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 22, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Aside from the obvious Craigslist try militarybyowner.com

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yep.

Just make sure you're in somewhat decent shape and you'll pass the screener no problem. You can find the requirements online probably. They have it posted up around the school.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just make sure they're allowed we can't wear the Oakelys even with an EGA. We can't wear any non-issued boots regardless.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Compared to other rates it always seemed like HM had the oldest dudes going into boot camp. We had a dude that was like 37 or something or whatever the absolute max with a waiver is.

It can suck being older and being surrounded by 17/18 year olds and being treated like one but whatever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

For?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Smart wool socks. A bit pricey but holdup great to abuse. I'll throw them all crusty and stiff in the wash after a long hike and they come out good as new. They're a bit thick so take that into account.

Never had a blister, ever.

I've been meaning to try fox river.

What exactly is it for/what is your job

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 6, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Considering your friend probably wasn't a SEAL and no one here is who knows.

Why do you want to know about something so mundane and particular?

You can look up the screening requirements for those kind of jobs online

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 7, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Artillery gunner, doing a summer of exercises and a comms / mortar course.

Well I assume you guys already have lawnchairs then and poo poo but this is the single best field investment I've ever made. (Yes, next to my field pillow and sleeping mat)

And for reference this is groverhaus

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The requirements to get a SEAL contract are pretty drat easy to be honest. And it'll always be open.

Now whether you make it through the pipeline or ring the bell and become a boatswain's mate is another.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SnakePlissken posted:

I always heard most people who train for SEALs don't make it all the way through training and testing and all. But this was all in the 90s, back when I knew this guy.

For the last long while (At least 5+ years?) they've had a program called "pre-BUDs" which has raised the attrition number a lot. So instead of getting thrown into BUDs straight from boot camp you go to a special division in boot camp that swims and works out more and then you go across the street to pre-buds where you workout even more for 8 weeks I think it is?

Don't get me wrong you have to be in shape. But it's the mental challenge I assume where people fail.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

poo poo if someone here is in the NZ Military I hope they make an ask/tell in GIP

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Any reason not to use SDP? (Savings Deposit Program). They haven't really told us poo poo about it. You sign up for it after you're already deployed, correct? I have some decent money saved up now, not really any bills, and all the money I get on deployment isn't going anywhere so I can max out the $10,000 asap.

But do you have to be in a combat zone? We'll get that pay while we're in certain areas but I don't think we'll be there longer than 4 months or so. Not sure.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Planned parenthood?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

to the Swedish dude get ahold of some smartwool or foxriver socks

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

mirepoix posted:

I'm in a position now where I actually have to consider buying (some) gear that's better than what I'm issued, is there a better thread to ask random gear questions?

I'll just ask here since who cares: I need a belt with molle on it. Also a sling for an m4. I guess I can look to TFR for advice about the latter. Any opinions? Before I lat-moved I avoided buying my own crap at all costs.

Not sure on your branch and it all depends on the unit anyways. But we are only allowed to use the issued 2 point sling. Absolutely no more 1 points, period. Some people get away with a 3 point but yeah. One of my buddies dropped his M4 when we were fast roping because his 1 point unclipped somehow but that could happen to any sling really. They still make a fuss about it.

Also we can't have poo poo like p-mags and othe little things.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cloudy McPouty posted:

You were fast roping but you can't have p-mags? Where do you work?

I'm not talking poo poo, I'm just kind of baffled...

Yeah, they were banned last year because they MIGHT, maybe did once, possibly, melt or some poo poo when used with the IAR/M27. I'm sure if you're on an actual combat deployment they could care less. You definitely see dudes using them. My unit sucks, in short. We aren't allowed poo poo like that. The mag-pull (?)pieces you put on the end of the mags to yank them out (whatever they're called), personal slings, fingerless trigger finger gloves, p-mags, and god forbid you put some American flag patch or your blood type patch anywhere on your gear.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cloudy McPouty posted:

Today I learned what the M27 is! I had never even heard of that weapon system before now :(

Is it an adequate replacement for the SAW? I would feel nervous only having a 30rd magazine...

From what I understand it was supposed to be a complete replacement and then they realized how fast a 30 round clip goes on full auto. Not sure why they don't just issue bigger clips. I'm not sure how long it's actually been field tested in Afghanistan. I don't think it's been out too long. All that being said we still have 2 saw gunners per platoon now. (I think they added this fairly recently)

There are some M4A1s around but only for people like recon, snipers, and FAST teams. Don't think normal grunts get them. Either way I don't know poo poo about guns.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I'm pretty sure that poo poo can get taken care of on a walk-in basis

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If you aren't collecting BAH/BAS there's a cutoff for how much leave you have to take in order to collect BAH, correct? I know you get reimbursed BAS. But I think I remember hearing to get BAH you have to take 2 weeks minimum

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think I'm confusing it with terminal leave. I think you need x amount of days to collect BAH

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The PX/MCX/NEX never have good deals anyways. Find booze cheaper off base, imo. Yeah no tax but they just charge more. Maybe if you're buying something that has a set price in every store (like Apple) and you want to save tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

USAA is amazing and it's easy to get by without a physical location with them. Through online, the app, or UPS. Although they're starting to open some up in dense Military areas I think?

• Locked thread