Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Like the finance thread, this one is under "minimum derail" conditions. Make it a question, an answer or a discussion about the answer, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Horseshit. I could see it delaying someone for the waiver to go through, but a window closing? Yeah, recruiter bullshit.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

This is the quick questions thread. If it involves this amount of discussion, spin it off into another thread.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MEPS is just a physical. When you get to BCT, you'll actually be in-processing in a separate area (called Reception) first. There, you have to pass a mini-PT test, I think it's roughly eight-eight and a half minute mile. If you pass, you go on to Day 0 of Basic Training. If you fail, it's fat boy program before you can even start Basic.

Your first week in Basic you'll have a full PT test; you'll go through three more before the one that really, really matters- the EOC (End of Cycle) PT test. You must pass that to go onto AIT (job school).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SolidKZ posted:

Apparently not anymore. :effort: :btroll:

Oh you've gotta be loving kidding me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

lnav vnav usatoday posted:

Did a PT test in Future Soldier DEP and had a 290 PT score. Those kids looked at me like I was Zues. I certainly hope Basic Training is harder than what we are doing now. It's ridiculously easy. Only 2 out of about 15 of us can pass the PT test, not counting myself.

Expect tougher grading on the pushups in the real ones, but with a 290 yeah you don't really have much to worry about

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

vacation in kabul posted:

Your employer actually has to pay into it, and if you guessed that the military doesn't do that, hey, you're right!

Uh bullshit, I collected unemployment for five weeks while I was trying to get a contract overseas, until I gave up and took something local. Getting it after separating is incredibly easier than doing it after a normal job, even.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

You can, in 50 states.

In fact, and I couldn't believe my ears, the ACAP guy doing my briefing told us that Massachusetts had the highest unemployment benefits cap by far, and was giving us ways to scam the system by setting up a PO Box there and saying you were doing job searching in Mass :psyduck:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

That's why you don't blow off your ACAP briefings

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hagetaka posted:

That's why you don't blow off your ACAP briefings

(says the guy who puts up satellite dishes)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Awesome Kristin posted:

Thanks. If I cannot find anything in that we will call his recruiter tomorrow.

Keep in mind he probably doesn't know or will make some poo poo up off the top of his head. You might have to dive fairly deep into MEDCOM to find an answer.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Comradephate posted:

I have another one, as I continue to wait for the MOS I want to open up.

Are there particular enlisted MOSes that are good or bad in terms of making you a better officer and/or are just generally better with that goal in mind? ie, relatively more free time, in a position to impress higher ups, transferable skills, and so on?

If you want to be Chief of Staff, go infantry.

Other than that, if you wanna be a good officer, work on your leadership and people skills, do as much research as you can, pick a career field you're interested in, then do your best to become a subject matter expert in it. Good officers (and bad) come from every MOS and commissioning source (ie, West Point, OCS, prior service).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Boo This Man posted:

Also, if at basic training, they demand to see your civilian medical records, do you have to allow them? Or can you say no and let them threaten you with empty threats?

By the time you get to basic that ship has already sailed. You did a full physical at MEPS, signed something saying you swear that you've told them the whole truth about your medical history, and authorized them to go look at your past medical history.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

This.

Also if there was an average it would probably be over 10 years.

I've seen everywhere from 6 (high-speed motherfuckers with tons of auxiliary duties and usually a tour as a DS or recruiter) to 18 (ie, whew, just made it)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah, that is a tremendous factor, especially now with the automatic promotion to E-5 depending on MOS. If you pop into a critical shortage MOS (especially one that is likely to stay that way) you can skyrocket to E-6 and from then on the game begins.

The NBC guy for our attached unit came to Iraq as an E-4. He left as an E-6 a year later. 350 points for E-5, 450 points for E-6.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Flagged means no favorable actions. No promotions, no awards, no schools. Some commands even add that no passes can be given.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Restriction to post is usually something given under non-judicial punishment (Article 15). Doing it as punishment for being out of regs under AR 600-9 sounds like a colossal dick move, and could have been illegal. Yeah, JAG should definitely be consulted.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

This is Korea though. Isn't that different?

I missed that. Yeah, OCONUS is definitely a different playbook.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:psyduck: I get to pick our first and second choice assignments for our next PCS. Do we have a PCS thread or something on here that I am too stupid to locate?

I don't remember having one. A catch-all PCS question thread would be a great idea.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

Do active duty Army officers, specifically Aviation branch, have to do daily organized PT with the unit?

I ask because I find Army PT to be fairly worthless, and I've always done better at keeping myself in shape versus the Army's PT program.

Don't know about Aviation (and it might well be different because of the different balance of officers and enlisted), but the others the officers usually are there for the battalion formations but not the smaller ones. Company PT was largely an enlisted event. Officers ran in small cliques.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

sweetnsalty posted:

Hey, I'm a just a cadet right now so I dont have a lot of experience but I need to write an OPORD for an assignment and I need help with examples or ideas i guess. I've written platoon and company OPORDs in classes but this one is different, they want me to write one pretending that I am the Joker's S3 and I am planning what goes on in The Dark Knight. Anybody have any idea how to even structure this?

I've seen this assignment before, except as the S3 for the Rebel Alliance planning the final assault on the Death Star

cue one frantic LT asking all the lower enlisted who has a copy of Star Wars he can borrow

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Isaac Asimov posted:

I am at Fort Benning for IRR. Tomorrow we are getting ID cards made while wearing civilian clothing; we won't get uniforms until Friday.

The overweight IRR cadre tell me that I must be "in regulation" in order to get an ID. My friends that have already been through this process tell me that there is no regulation covering hair or beards while in civilian clothes.

Does anyone know? I don't want to cut my long hair and beard(not long) just before possibly medically discharged after the medical screening on wednesday.

Wait, for your one day a year IRR, or are you be re-activated, or what?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Isaac Asimov posted:

Thanks bud, nope I had to cut my hair.

My group of 5 total IRR guys all got out of it though, and I gave the very angry 1SG a good handshake on the way out and said, "Hey good luck dude, later!"

hahaha classic

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I had heard that the IRR is basically a formality, and that barely anyone ever gets called up

heh heh heh

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Quarterly Prophet posted:

**You should lie.

god bless this forum

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

alrrightt, back on topic , questions/answers only please

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Busket_in_Posket posted:

I dunno, is it weird to want to go completely and utterly blue collar in the military after being a professional nerdlinger?

No. I'm working blue collar now after getting out of IT/telephones. I enjoy it, but you still better make sure it's something with prospects or you'll be double miserable.

Look into a professional trade. The Army still has carpenters, pipefitters, etc.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

grover posted:

The Navy equivalent, MUSE techs, all absolutely love their jobs and have terrific retention. (The Navy techs also go through AF power pro school, plus a number of Navy schools and in-house training.) For the Navy, it's not a rate you join up as, though; it's an NEC that's only open to E-5+. And I tell you what- every MUSE tech I've known has been a sharp motherfucker who knows their stuff.

Oh yeah. I met a few MUSE guys when I was working in the shipyard. Every one of them squared the gently caress away on their knowledge.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DFAS Cleveland is where the DoD pays out (active or reserve). Anything veteran-related goes through the VA.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

You have to register when you turn 18. Past that, give no fucks about Selective Service for the rest of your life. We promise.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Defleshed posted:

If you're holding a DD214 that says "Honorable", you're exempt from the draft, as you are if you're older than 26.

Did they change this post-Vietnam? I remember up to 45 was technically eligible but they never had to go anywhere that high on the age group at all

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Unless he's applying for something that's background-intensive, I doubt it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

yeah pretty much any "is it ok to post this thread" question is either answered with no or duh

Can I post drunk thread/how to beat UA/how to steal supplies/personal info of my dickhead NCO?

No

Can I post helpful thread on dependents/benefits/recruiting/enlistment?

duh

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

TorpedoFish posted:

1. According to AKO (haven't actually gotten paper orders yet) the report date to get to my first duty station is 12 Sep. I graduate AIT on 5 Aug. This is more than ten to fourteen days; what am I supposed to be doing with myself for the interim? Does it mean I don't need to be in Germany until then, or I'm supposed to show up but not required to actually in-process/start work/etc until then?

2. I'm apparently required to do some sort of online anti-terrorism class since I'm going OCONUS. Where the gently caress do I find it? The 'My Training' page of AKO is like some giant clusterfuck of things I don't know what they are...

Ask your unit's training NCO how to do the class. Really, at this point they should still be spoonfeeding you all the check the box stuff. Also, unless you're taking leave to go home after graduation, you'll be going straight from your base now to Germany, so don't worry about the report date.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kaliber posted:

Do we have to pay for a vat form? Last time I went in with my friend to get one, she said it was $100 for them? I wasn't really paying attention and it was a year before deployment so I'm not sure I just misheard.

Back in '04 they were about 4 bucks a piece, saving you 17 percent VAT, so the math ended up with them not being worth it for something under around 25 bucks (really more than that, considering the hassle involved). You could only have ten out at one time, and they were tracked- it was a huge hassle for you to clear if you had any missing or didn't turn in the white and pink copies.

They were pretty awesome for big purchases, and if you have friends on the local economy that you're helping out by shill purchasing using the form, then for God's sake don't brag about it to anyone, especially here. DoD still takes black marketing very seriously, considering what a black eye it is for us.

If it's still the same setup (my info is pretty out of date), then buy 10, keep one or two in your glove box, and for god's sake remember to turn in your copies after you use them. They're no good for food items, so they don't do you much good at the grocery store, but any other big purchase is ok.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Are you serious? The Navy and Coast Guard are way more intuitive then the other services.

:v:: "Hey man what do you do in the Navy?"
:yarr:: "Oh, I'm a Gunner's Mate."
:v:: "Oh, I can infer a little bit about what you actually do from that."

:v:: "Hey man what do you do in the Army/Air Force/Marine Corps?"
:jihad:: "Oh, I'm a 104358Z429 Foxtrot."
:v:: " :psyduck: "

yeah then why is it that anytime there's a sailor on AFN it's always captioned "EM2/SSAVT Johnson"

I can figure out LCPL or Sr.A but why you guys feel the need to give every swabbie an alphabet soup title is beyond me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ryand-Smith posted:

Quick question, would there be public records of Captian's mast/Article 15s over the past few years, I was wondering if there was something like the old thread of court marshals, but for mastings.

You mean like for anyone to view? No.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

manic mike posted:

I have a really important question. I have a flight physical tomorrow and they told me to fast for 12 hours for lab work. Only water and black coffee.

My question is can I drink beer? This is very important because I have beer and I want to drink it. Does light beer count as water maybe?

I threw mine off drinking orange juice, so I'd suggest skipping it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

grover posted:

Why the hell would Beechcraft call the T-6 the Texan?

Because much like a famous Texan, it never saw combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Someone make a new thread

• Locked thread