Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Rossy posted:

My brother is a Royal Marine and goes away on his first tour of afghan at the end of the month.

I was just wondering what sort of stuff people liked to receive in packages when they were away?

Depends on what he's doing and what he can't get a hold of wherever he'll be at. He might not know until he gets there. If he's eating MREs everyday, food and snacks are huge. If he's outside the wire every day and doesn't have access to laundry besides a bucket and some soap, lots of cheap white socks in every package are a godsend. You can wear the same filthy uniforms for an entire deployment and not feel disgusting as long as you have fresh socks.
I'd have monsters mailed out and I'd save them for an easy day (no patrols, stretching poop-burning out over several hours) where my whole morning could be about drinking that goddamn monster.

The three months I spent at a place with a shop and a cafeteria in Iraq, all I really wanted in the mail was TV shows/movies. Camp Leatherneck/Bastion in Afghanistan is probably similarly situated right now, but that's just a guess.

It all depends on where he's at and what he's doing- find out from him yourself as soon as possible once he gets there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Lawen posted:

Does anyone have links to resources or information about active-duty military and PTSD? I'm kind of surprised that there's not a thread about it.

Without going into too much detail, a member of my family who is an officer in the Army NatGuard has seen some hosed up poo poo in the course of his service and is demonstrating some pretty clear PTSD symptoms (insomnia, nightmares/terrors, depression, heavier drinking than pre-deployment). I want to present him with some options for addressing what's going on with him but he seems really worried that if he seeks outside help (at least through normal channels like the VA) that it's going to jeopardize his career and/or clearance and/or perception of his ability to lead. If anyone could provide information or experiences beyond what's available with some basic googling, I would really, really appreciate it. Also feel free to PM me if you have relevant info/experiences but aren't comfortable discussing them in a public forum.

Thank you.

"Get Help" Thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434926

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Don't pin it 'til you're holding the warrant. Duh-doy.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Cyks posted:

If you know anybody going to/currently in basic (not a stranger) you should totally write them letters however. The 10 or whatever push ups they'll have to do is well worth it just to talk to somebody they don't hate (aka every other person in their unit).

Are care packages still a thing anymore or have they become pointless in the last five years? I guess free candy is always nice and even if you don't know somebody personally it shouldn't be too hard to find somebody to receive one.

Deployment care packages are still amazing for anybody not on one of the big bases like Leatherneck. We had to wash our stuff by hand so naturally we never washed anything and threw away our socks since most guys had a sock-filled care package coming in once a month or so.

Nobody's going to make you push for getting a letter in boot camp, but anything edible in care packages were either distributed throughout the platoon or the recipient was given a minute or so to consume as much of the goodies as he physically could before they were thrown out/confiscated. Vomiting ensued.

Also confirming that nobody's writing to pen-pals. They're in the internet tent trying to set up post-deployment poon.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

terre packet posted:

I hate the gas chamber. Thankfully my unit doesn't make us do anything crazy when we qualify, we just have to visibly pull the edge of our mask away from the face so they can see that we're "breaking the seal". The gas dudes then go around and check that everyone has broken the seal, it's probably two minutes tops before they tell everyone to don and clear. Has anyone ever managed to hold their breath the entire time while in the chamber or have any other tips for sucking down as little CS as possible? I'm thinking of training up my breathing with a guide like this.

I only went to the chamber twice in my four years but I never had a problem holding my breath during the lift check. I guess whenever I went there the guys running it were those rare oddballs you so seldomly find in the military: the guys who just want to get the work day over with because work sucks. Forcing dudes to do jumping jacks and billowing chemical smoke into their peeholes while singing the Marine Corps hymn or whatever just sounds like a recipe for the qualifying group's command to crawl up your rear end when their schedule is all hosed up due to re-qualifying or just taking too goddamn long.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Does archery have a practical use in the military, or is it just something as a hobby/recent pop culture phenomenon?

If you don't have line of sight to part of your squad in the middle of a firefight, but need to communicate with them, a bow and arrow can work as a delivery system for a field expedient Tin-Can Phone Handset.

Attach string to can, attach can to arrow, nock and fire.

Beware of enemy combatants armed with scissors.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

gleep gloop posted:

drat dude. A ton of us in the army made E5 in less than two years.

That's basically meritorious E-3 in the Marine Corps.

Not that anyone ever accused the Marine Corps of being a smart place for smart people or anything.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

*loud choking and gagging noises*

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Welcome back IDR we missed you a lot

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Assuming you are still on IRR, give the nearest reserve unit's recruiter a call. You should be able to attend drill without any commitments up front.

Stand in *one* formation and then re-evaluate your situation.

Also assuming you'll somehow work the system to get everything you want is pretty funny considering you'd probably have to suck a thousand dicks to have a shot at ever going active duty again (improbable war scenarios aside)

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

KiddieGrinder posted:

Is it true that (in the Army at least) once your deployment (4 years or whatever) is over, they can (and most likely WILL) 'recall' you back for another? And they can continue to do this until you're dead (or reach a certain age like 70 or something)?

And also even after you retire then can still recall you to active duty?

Is that for the Army or all branches? (And is it even accurate)

Not exclusive to Army. Anyone who has completed the 7 tasks and bears the mark of Moloch can be called back at anytime.

It's actually a great program, you're effectively (semi)retired with a pension after four years.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

KiddieGrinder posted:

I have a nephew who does pretty poo poo in school; can't be bothered to do school work, discipline problems, etc. Basically an aimless potential drifter through life with no purpose or point.

He recently joined some sort of pseudo-christian military school thing and seems to be enjoying it, and has been leaning towards joining some branch of the military.

Stop right there.

Why do you think the military isn't for this guy?

Don't listen to the other vets in here who realized afterwards that they could've gone to college on their own instead of enlisting. The military is a good fit for some people. It's not just a means to getting GI Bill funbux.

edit: Please fix the flow chart in the Ask Us About Joining The Military Thread

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 7, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I FAP'd out to the rifle range for a few months while waiting to EAS. Some reservist was there for a long time and he made like a bajillion billion dollars for being a super special reservist away from home or something.

Nobody cared that he was a reservist because lol we're pogs now.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Christoff posted:

How long do you have to go to reserves after you get out and keep rank/rate and not have to do MEPS again?

For a single guy gently caress it but not a bad gig for family folk who need the Tricare and have a wife with fibromyalgia and migraines that needs her narcs

What are you asking, exactly? How is tricare related to keeping your rank/rate/MEPS? There is Active Duty, Active Reserve, and Inactive Reserve. Last time I bothered to look into it there are different tricare packages available for reserve/IRR.

darknation posted:

What's the general perception or opinion foreign troops have of Australian Special Forces (or AU/NZ serving in general)?

They're like American military but they talk funny.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Cenen posted:

Since I didn't join the Army I doubt I'll ever wear an ACU patrol cap. Anyone have guidance for the MULTICAM BASEBALL CAP?

The Air Force calls their uniform headgear a "baseball cap"?

At least pretend to be a part of the world's mightiest military, ffs.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Godholio posted:

I can't imagine anyone getting away with bringing their own loving gun. It ain't the continental army anymore.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

ManOfTheYear posted:

How is the food in military? Is it good, nutritious and do people get enough of it? How much do you have to eat MREs? Won't they make you poo poo or stop your making GBS threads after a few meals? How do you deal with that?

On base, it's like working anywhere with a cafeteria. It might be more convenient/cheaper to eat there but there's (usually) nothing stopping you from going to Subway or wherever.

On deployment or in training, most people have access to dining facilities. So cafeteria food.

In Afghanistan, I ate MREs and "tray rats" (huge serving MREs for groups of people) every day for 6+ months. My poops were fine. The inevitable week-long sickness that comes with traveling to new places and eating local food (entirely voluntarily) was the only time my poops were weird.

edit: Whether or not MREs are "good" is entirely subjective. I ate Meatball Marinara almost exclusively on deployment. I'd probably still eat it now if I had the option.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 26, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

ManOfTheYear posted:

Somehow this makes me feel good. Reading GiP has convinced me that US military is a miserable place for miserable people who have done a lot of wrong life choices, so the fact that even some of you guys at least get to eat well feels like a break for you guys.

With the food chat, it feels extremely unlikely to me that you could eat MREs for 6+ months and still function normally, like not get a vitamin deficiency or something. I assume real food tastes like god's gift after that?

MREs/"Tray-Rats" aren't Snowpiercer protein bars. They're meals. I ate healthier in Afghanistan than I do now.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Cole posted:

Jesus gently caress stop defending MREs they are loving stupid

I'd slit your throat for a HooahOohrah bar.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Spicy Guacamole posted:

You tell, 'em, Cole. First Strike rations are where it's at, HOOOAAHH

We got some of those later on, and while the "sandwiches" were good, you couldn't really throw all the stuff into a bag and make a decent meal out of it.

Towards the very end we got some weirdo meals shrink-wrapped to cardboard trays that had a can of grape juice and a little can of pringles in them. Good stuff, but not as filling as a MRE.

edit: made-to-order burgers at Fallujah DFAC was the best deployment dining I ever experienced. We'd justify stops there whenever possible.

Frozen mini-pizza midrats were the poo poo, too.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 27, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

terrez posted:

So how are you supposed to address warrant officers? Sir or Chief? If its chief do you just stare awkwardly at W-1s?

Please excuse my pogy air force butt.

There was a marine WO in school and everyone in our class, even the army/AF lieutenants, just kinda shrugged when we asked ourselves this question and resolved to just hide from him.

Sir.

Salute 'em too.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I've heard some soldiers opt to have their sperm/eggs frozen before going to war in order to ensure that they will have kids when they come back. Does the military provide those kind of services? How would a soldier go about something like that?

Are they worried they're gonna lose their junk to an IED? Or do they just want to skip the bloated angry spouse part of pregnancy?

I think most people just deposit the sperm directly into the baby hole.

Or someone else does it for them while they're deployed.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Pardon me if this is the wrong place to ask this!

One of my good buddies has a brother who was recently deployed to Iraq. I have a mailing address for him so I was thinking of sending along a care package or two, but outside of slim jims and gummy worms (his favorite snacks) I don't really know what else to include! Can you guys come up with any good ideas? I've never been in the military myself so I have no idea what is fun/useful to have while on deployment.

Thanks!

Really depends on what he's doing and what his standard of living is like.

If he's got his own computer, access to the internet, showers, laundry, and some kind of PX, just send whatever you would send if they were living on the other side of the country.

If he's out trying to murder people every day and taking baths with 20oz bottles of water, then a box of nicotine and reading materials wrapped in 20 pairs of clean socks would be ideal.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

MaxPowers posted:

Green socks were required( corps ) but after a while it became " How low can you blouse your boots "

We had the biggest drill-field knob of a former-drill-instructor platoon sergeant who stressed "PRIDE IN THIS UNIFORM" even when we were washing our poo poo by hand in buckets.. but even he looked the other way on white socks.

"Sorry Gram-gram, white socks disgrace this uniform and this Marine"

Yeah right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

JohnSherman posted:

I was wondering if someone could help me identify these medals? They belong to my grandfather, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what the middle one and the one on the right are supposed to be. As far as I'm aware, he served at the tail end of Korea, if it matters.

The middle one is for serving during time of war: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Service_Medal

No idea about the one on the right. When did he serve and what branch was he in?

• Locked thread