Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

grover posted:

Can't find a job.

In our current lovely economy this isn't a lovely reason anymore, but only if you plan ahead and poo poo. At least I didn't lie to myself and joined because some bullshit reason like "I feel patriotic and I want to serve my country! :patriot:".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

grover posted:

You should be joining the military because you want to, not because you feel pressured by economics.

What if its both? I always wanted to join the Coast Guard AND was feeling pressured by the economy. So for me its both business and pleasure, I am becoming a better person, saving lives AND getting a paycheck. So whats to hate about my job?

(Ask me again in 6 months)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slippery posted:

hurf yeah a desire to serve is sure bullshit, you got it nailed

I mean that more in the way that "I did not lie" rather than "hurr hurr patriots are morons hurr", I apologize if that didn't came out right.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ManMythLegend posted:

That normally depends on the water temperature and the survival gear they have. Assuming the water temperature in the Eastern Med is pretty warm, without a raft, and just life vests, I'd put it at 72 hours max. Someone with access to a SAR instruction can probably give you a more refined answer.

If I recall correctly the average water temperature for the Mediterranean Sea at this time of year falls under the "Infinite time, with the chance of shark attacks" category :v:, but yes 24-72 hours sounds like a good benchmark.

Edit: Have a chart

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 2, 2012

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Signaleer posted:

I know that maritime vessels have to perform these figure 8 drills every so often. I have no idea if they actually do this or not during a real life rescue, but I'm sure one of the Coasties would be able to tell you.

It all depends on sea conditions, how long ago the man fell overboard and if it is day or night. If we dont find the man we start doing an expanding square search begining at the last known position of the man. In the best case scenario we lunch the small boat and recover the man.

Sectors have software that can simulate the location of a man overboard and vessel adrift based om weather, currents and so on.

Edit: If conditions permit, we do the actual turn.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The last time I read a novel about an ex-military hero:

- The protagonist AKA. Dad was too old for this poo poo, useless, but good with a rifle.
- Mom was useless.
- Son was useless, but was learning to shot a gun and somehow knew how to fly a plane.
- Daughter was EXTREMELY useless as she was a vegetarian pacifist in a post-apocalyptic world. At the end of the novel she ends up being raped, being used as a gently caress-toy, still convinced that peace and love was the answer and very dead.

On the other hand I also read a bool about an ex-air-force guy, that was a former Trekkie. He was working in an hotel during a Star Trek convention and suddenly zombies from outer space. It was actually bad rear end and funny. But its ruined by the fact that there is a scene about a hot chick in a Princess Leia costume, tied up to a bed, getting filmed and getting berated by a nerd on how much better star trek is compared to star wars. But don't worry she consented to this whole ordeal! They also imply they sell the video online to Trekkies and poo poo.

Yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

On food chat, food on boats can range from anywhere to good to abysmal depending on the size of the kitchen, the imagination of the cooks and the motivation of the cooks. We had a kid who went from ET for FS and was one happy cook, took some pride in his job and cooked really well. Another kid in the same unit became a cook because of an enlistment bonus, had a "cook or die" tattoo but was inept and incompetent when it came to cooking.

It’s still a miserable as hell job since you are going to serve the same people and even when you do your best there is always going to be some picky rear end in a top hat that is going to poo poo on your cooking abilities because he can only eat PB&J sandwiches and everything you cook is poo poo.

Pooping was normal except for that one time where I ate undercooked chicken served on my galley. :catstare:

• Locked thread