Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
First off iceslice is dead on about land nav in his post. Follow those tips and you'll be golden.

However if you are doing the Stewart course off of 144 near richmond hill definitely use roads. all but 4 points on that course are within 50 meters of the roads. The only two (points 22 and 23 if memory serves me) that required more than 100 meters of walking an azimuth are close to point 9 which is a 4 way intersection nearly dead south of the start points. Using that intersection as an attack point will save you some trouble.

I've done that course about 3 times and ran it for my company another two. A lot of out younger soldiers had problems with it but if you use the named roads you will have an easier go at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
The only two other land nav courses I know about are the NCO academy, which I did once in 06, and the one at camp Oliver which I've only administered and wander on looking for troops who needed help. Can't really give advice on either beyond reiterating what iceslice said. If you follow his advice, with a little practice you'll be golden on any course.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Rifle qual chat - I was an XO and everything we did was on DTMS (defense training management system). Essentially all higher HQ had the ability to reach down to the Soldier level and see their APFT/Qual/Ect. The nice thing about this is all that individual information dumps into AKO under "My Training." If your company added it to DTMS it's going to be sitting in that window on AKO's "My Training" page. Hopefully the NG does the same for your sake, but it is quickly becoming all but mandatory for the RA side.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I haven't been an XO for a few years so I'll probably forget some stuff.

Did you have any kind of CIP on maintenance, supply room, or arms room? If you increased the numbers at all that's an easy comment.

Did your training training room send up requests to land and ammo, easy facilitated training comment. If it was a range/gunnery/ect, easy to crib number of expert.

I'm gonna assume that you put together the info to give to the chemo for USR, if your company upped any part of your statistics or METL then figure out a way to say you were instrumental in it. Generally the is some headquarters function listed that's an easy fit. I think I bullshitted something about being the company UMO to play it into readiness increases.

Basically, get creative. If your company as a whole did anything worthwhile, you can arguably take credit if you have any ability to bullshit.

• Locked thread