Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

:siren: PLEASE READ THE RE-RE-RE-UPDATED RULES :siren:

Part shamefest, part de-shamening, it's time for...

THE GREATEST MOVIES YOU'VE NEVER SEEN: "LISTEN TO YOUR DAD" EDITION

HOW THIS WORKS

1. You PICK ONE (1) FILM THE PREVIOUS POSTER'S LIST for him/her to watch. They must now watch that film.
2. You POST AT MOST TEN (10) FILMS YOU ARE ASHAMED OF NEVER SEEING. Please also WRITE A SHORT ANECDOTE about each film and why you haven't seen it.
3. The next poster PICKS ONE (1) FILM FROM YOUR LIST for you to watch. You must now watch that film.
4. You watch the film picked for you, then WRITE A SHORT REVIEW.
5. You SWAP OUT THE FILM YOU JUST WATCHED WITH A NEW FILM, then POST YOUR NEW LIST Again, you must limit your list to at most TEN (10) FILMS.
6. You PICK ONE (1) FILM FROM THE PREVIOUS POSTER'S LIST for him/her to watch. They must now watch that film.
7. The next poster PICKS ONE (1) FILM FROM YOUR NEW LIST to watch. You must now watch that film. THE CYCLE CONTINUES!

IMPORTANT

- REMEMBER TO PICK A FILM FOR THE PREVIOUS POSTER!
- If someone has already picked a film for the previous poster, pick a film for the next available poster.
- If a poster has been skipped for a pick, pick a film for your poster and the skipped poster. This keeps things moving!
- Only pick films from the poster’s list.
- You’re free to comment on other posters’ lists and even make recommendations; however, only the “picker” can make the poster watch the film.
- Please watch the film that’s been picked for you. If for some reason you can’t, please say and someone will pick another film for you.
- Keep the conversation healthy and good-spirited!

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. The Godfather
The whole trilogy, for that matter. This film falls under the "I already saw all the famous scenes parodied on the Simpsons so I haven't bothered to watch it" category. I'm also convinced that it won't be as good as everyone hypes it up to be, and I see no need in being disappointed. I was a loving film major and I avoided this film. Never even seen the beginning. I think I saw the very end on TV once.

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Goodfellas
Taxi Driver is one of my favorite films of all time, so why haven't I seen Scorsese's masterpiece from the 1990s? I think it's because I was so underwhelmed by Raging Bull, his masterpiece from the 1980s. After that disappointment I sort of stopped my Scorsese marathon. I don't know a lot about this movie, which is a good thing, but I still can't be bothered to follow up on my curiosity.

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. 12 Angry Men
I think I saw this when I was 4. Nevertheless, I've yet to see it since I've developed basic analytical skills. I know the premise but I'm clueless about specific scenes or characters. It's been floating around my Netflix queue and my various "check this out" lists, but it's never piqued my curiosity. Someone convince me that this old movie is great!

6. Casablanca
I've read essays that break this film apart scene by scene, and I've seen countless parodies. Why should I even bother seeing it now? I don't feel like I would gain anything from watching this, other than the smug satisfaction that I saw yet another "important movie."

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

8. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
I haven't seen a lot of great westerns, but this is probably the biggest offender. I remember watching the great opening credits sequence, then realizing how long the movie was and shutting it off because I couldn't make the commitment. Having only seen classic westerns from the 50s and earlier and modern westerns from the 90s and later, I'm very interested to see how Leone plays with the genre. I've tried to have "western marathons" and this has always been high on the list, but they've never panned out.

9. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
I don't know why I never heard about this in film school. Come to think of it, Herzog has always been an enigma to me. I've only seen Fitzcarraldo and I've wanted to see his other films. I guess I just assume this one will be a boring but beautiful European "thinking" film and I haven't been in that mindset in a while.

10. The Incredibles
Friends always recommend this to me. I've seen bits and pieces from when I worked at a movie theater. I'm in my early twenties and I get the feeling that this film is best enjoyed by people either slightly younger or slightly older. Then again, it's also Pixar, so what am I waiting for?

HELPFUL LINKS
These will help you find acclaimed films you've yet to see.

IMDB Top 250
They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? 1,000 Greatest Films
"Movies You Should See" Megathread
CineD Yearly Consensus Depository
Current CineD Consensus Threads: Pre-30 | 30-49 | 50-69 | 70-89 | 90-09

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I've recently watched Godfather Part II, 12 Angry Men, and Goodfellas for the very first time (actually, those are the last three movies I've gotten from Netflix!), and out of those I have to say I enjoyed Goodfellas the most. It's just a great loving movie and I absolutely love Ray Liotta now. So, thegloaming, go watch Goodfellas!

I've been slowly chopping away at the IMDB Top 250 as just a starting point for really "getting in" to films, and I'm at 118/250 right now. I'm mostly missing some older classics like the original King Kong, Metropolis, City Lights, etc... but there's some real "WHY NOT!?"'s on there too. Here's a few:

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
I just watched all of The Shining for the first time recently, and it took that movie for me to get over my irrational hatred of Jack Nicholson. The only other thing keeping me from watching this is that I have Kesey's book sitting on my shelf waiting for me to read before I watch this. This is also the one movie that's keeping me from having seen the top 10 movies on the list.

2. Seven Samurai
It's on my Netflix queue and I absolutely adore the other Kurosawa films I've watched recently (just saw Rashomon for the the first time last week, loved it). I've heard this movie is particularly awesome and a classic and all that good stuff, but I tend to lean towards watching shorter movies on my queue before getting into the 200+ minute stuff. This is more of an issue because my internet is terrible and probably won't hold out for the entire movie.

3. Casablanca
I've owned the DVD of this for loving seven years and I've never once taken the disc out to watch it. This is probably the biggest shame and one of the few DVDs I own that still remains unwatched.

4. Se7en
Heard great things, love the cast, love Fincher, don't know why the gently caress I've never seen it. I literally have no reason for it other than "I'll get around to it."

5. Every Hitchcock movie except The Man Who Knew Too Much, Psycho, and North by Northwest.
I'm not sure why. There's a ton on Netflix and they're all on my queue, I just haven't gotten around to any others. I could use a suggestion on where to go from here.

So, maybe on second thought OP, you should watch Casablanca with me :v:

Good thread with a great start!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

The Machine posted:

I've recently watched Godfather Part II, 12 Angry Men, and Goodfellas for the very first time (actually, those are the last three movies I've gotten from Netflix!), and out of those I have to say I enjoyed Goodfellas the most. It's just a great loving movie and I absolutely love Ray Liotta now. So, thegloaming, go watch Goodfellas!

The blu-ray for Goodfellas is at the top of my Netflix queue. Once There Will Be Blood (a movie I have, thankfully, already seen) arrives and I rewatch it and ship it back, it'll be smooth sailing from there (hopefully). Kind of glad you didn't recommend Godfather, BTW. Thanks! :)

Also I changed the wording on one of the rules to make things more clear; once you've seen the recommended movie, you should do a brief writeup and also RECOMMEND A FILM TO A POSTER AWAITING A RECOMMENDATION. That way people have an incentive to come back after they've made their lists, and we'll have less opportunities for stalemates.

Also, anyone is free to recommend viewings, but only the "recommender" has the power to force the change.

You mentioned that Netflix craps out on longer movies; I used to have that problem too (it ended up being the router's fault). A quick browser refresh resumes the movie where it left off. Try it out!

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 1, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

The Machine: You get...Se7en. It's one of the best films about the evershifting concept of evil ever written, and has an absolutely gut-wrenching conclusion.

1. Persona: Everything about this film sounds fascinating. In the last year, I watched my first two Bergman films -- Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal -- and, like everyone else, recognized them as masterpieces. So why haven't I seen it? It's inexplicable. I've Netflixed it at least three times, and always returned it, not being "in the mood." In the mood for what? I don't mind subtitles, I like Bergman and everyone says it's incredible.

2. Casablanca: I was sick the week they showed this in film class. It was my Dad's favorite movie, and since he passed away recently, one would think I'd honor his memory by giving it a watch. One would be wrong. Always intend to see it, always forget to add it to my queue.

3. Berlin Alexanderplatz: It's sixteen hours long. I mean, what the gently caress? It would be my first Fassbinder film, and considering it's still shorter than the average season of American television, it shouldn't be this loving daunting...but it is.

4. Mean Streets: Once you've seen Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, GoodFellas, The Gangs of New York, After Hours and The Departed, why bother watching Mean Streets? No matter how many people tell me it's a flawed masterpiece, I've just never gathered up the desire to rent it.

5. Barry Lyndon or any Kubrick films made prior to 2001: A Space Odyssey: Same bullshit minor-masterpiece excuse. Kill me.

6. Any Hitchcock movie outside of Vertigo, Psycho and The Birds: Always meant to, haven't yet.

7. Any movies made before 1950, with a few exceptions: I've seen Metropolis, The Wizard of Oz, A Trip to the Moon, The Great Train Robbery, maybe a few others and assorted experimental shorts. I always promise myself I'm starting with recent history and working my way backwards, but I'm very myopic with a bias against the distant past when I'm front-loading my Netflix queue. This isn't really much of an excuse either, since I find time to watch a lot of third-rate thrillers and horror flicks.

8. Touch of Evil: We watched the brilliant opening shot in film class, but apparently Professor Hoity-Toity didn't think the rest of the film was as good. Keep meaning to finish it, never get around to finishing it.

9. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her, Week-End or A Woman is a Woman: I love the few Godard films I've seen, but I always end up re-watching Breathless, Contempt or Band of Outsiders instead of trying something new. It's horrible.

10. Inland Empire: I love Lynch, but I can't stay awake for this loving movie for the life of me. I've tried everything short of pinning my eyelids open and using artificial tears.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 1, 2010

TonTon
May 1, 2008
Bad Movie Knight, I choose Strangers on a Train for you. It was my first Hitchcock, I was 6 years old, and I still remember parts of it vividly. I can't remember much of my childhood, but I remember that movie like I saw it yesterday. also i haven't seen or heard of most of those other movies :v:

1. Seven Samurai

I've been meaning to watch this for years. I even started watching it - twice - but had to shut it off and go to bed the first time, and fell asleep the second. :heh:

2. Casablanca

I don't know - we used to have this on VHS, and it's one of my dad's favourite movies, but the one time I began watching it, I immediately managed to pull out my last baby tooth and never started it again.

3. Lawrence of Arabia

Got as far as the opening scene with this one, got a phone call from my friend, and decided to go biking in the park.

4. The Exorcist

I'm not a fan of horror in general, though I'm starting to warm up to it. I don't even really know anything about it, aside from there being a little girl who swears a lot and vomits and turns her head all the way around.

5. Wall-E

I love Pixar, I love animation, but I passed over this one because I don't like robots. Now I'm hearing that this is hailed as a modern classic - and I'm only missing this and Cars to complete my Pixar repertoire.

6. It's A Wonderful Life

I have no idea how I missed this one. I love Jimmy Stewart, and it's on every year around Christmas, but I've always passed over it for some reason. I know the premise and I've seen the parodies (including a Rugrats version from the 90s), so I'm also half-worried it'll feel overhyped and underwhelming when I watch it.

7. Misery

I love Stephen King, and this is one of my favourite books of his. I caught the tail-end of this on TV once, and the guy they chose to play the author fits my mental image of him. I just never got around to renting it.

8. Breakfast at Tiffany's

I've never seen an Audrey Hepburn movie, and I've heard this is a good place to start. I only know the name of the main character, and nothing else about the film, other than that it's a classic.

9. Silence of the Lambs

I'm fascinated by serial killers and have long heard of how amazing this movie is, and have seen it oft-quoted and referenced all over the internet and on television. I don't know what's holding me back here.

TonTon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 1, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

TonTon,

Please recommend bad movie knight a film from his list, thanks!

e: thanks!

Also, I'm very satisfied with the turnout so far. CineD has been very good lately, I've noticed. Thanks for participating and making me feel less horrible about myself, guys.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 1, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

TonTon posted:

Bad Movie Knight, I choose Strangers on a Train for you. It was my first Hitchcock, I was 6 years old, and I still remember parts of it vividly. I can't remember much of my childhood, but I remember that movie like I saw it yesterday. also i haven't seen or heard of most of those other movies :v:
Phew! For a second there, I was afraid the next goon would be a big Fassbinder fan.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

Phew! For a second there, I was afraid the next goon would be a big Fassbinder fan.

I've never seen anything from him, but I went ahead and added Berlin Alexanderplatz to my queue. Guess I won't be watching LOST afterall...

Also, I recently saw Lawrence of Arabia for the first time. It was the 70mm 40th anniversary remastered edition in a packed theater. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it yet to keep a look out for a similar opportunity in their city (it seems like a popular choice for a lot of theaters). I can't imagine experiencing it for the first time in my living room.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

The Machine posted:

3. Casablanca
I've owned the DVD of this for loving seven years and I've never once taken the disc out to watch it. This is probably the biggest shame and one of the few DVDs I own that still remains unwatched.
Got to love movies that you know all the famous lines from it but have never seen it once. If you're even remotely into the Rifftrax guys, I strongly recommend you buying the rifftrax version and forging ahead to pop your Casablanca cherry. That's how I finally made it through watching that god drat Titanic. Casablanca is a fairly short movie that's paced well, still stylish as ever.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I have a little time before summer stuff starts, so I've actually been catching up on these sorts of movies. Yesterday I saw Goodfellas (and Paths of Glory) and today I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey. Soon I'll watch Adaptation (which I know isn't regarded as great, but I was intrigued after I saw it referenced in an interview with Spike Jonze leading up to "Where the wild things are")

Anyways, here's a list, mostly based on the IMDB top 250

1) Rear Window - What can I say, I'm not that crazy about most black and white movies

2) Metropolis - I skipped class the day we were supposed to see it in german film class

3) The Thing - I would have taken it out but someone else has it overdue at the local indie video store

4) The Matrix - When this came out, it looked like a giant martial artsy piece of poo poo and I had no interest. I had even less interest when every other movie did the same fight scene for the following 10 years. Maybe it's time to revisit it.

5) North by Northwest - Again, black and white. I do like Cary Grant though.

6) Rashomon - I'm intrigued, but I never had a reason to see it.

7) Lawrence of Arabia - I'm a little scared of its length, but maybe this is the week to tackle it!

8) Amelie - The only Jeunet I've seen is Alien Resurrection

9) Chinatown - I actually caught the end on TV one day, but I'd still like to see it.

10) The Elephant Man - I'm a little worried that it'll be disappointing since I've seen people reference it and parody it.

oh, and for TonTon, See Wall-E. First movie I cried watching since I was a little kid.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 1, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Skeesix posted:

Soon I'll watch Adaptation (which I know isn't regarded as great
Oh, it's great. It's really great. Someday it will be regarded as a classic.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Skeesix posted:

1) Rear Window - What can I say, I'm not that crazy about most black and white movies

Good news: it's in color!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

bad movie knight posted:

Oh, it's great. It's really great. Someday it will be regarded as a classic.

Pretty sure it already is, at least as much as any movie from this century can be.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Pretty sure it already is, at least as much as any movie from this century can be.
Well, I mean the kind of classic that takes distance to appreciate. Like 100 years from now, it will still be highly regarded. Then again, so will almost anything else by Charlie Kaufman. The man's a loving genius.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

thegloaming posted:

Good news: it's in color!

I am shamed anew.

... a second time!

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 1, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So is North by Northwest:

Also, if you need help getting over your black-and-white phobia, check out this episode of Siskel and Ebert (and the second part).

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 1, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Skeesix posted:

I am shamed anew.
You can be shamed athrice: You forgot to pick a movie for the previous poster.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

You can be shamed athrice: You forgot to pick a movie for the previous poster.

Now you too can be shamed; he did!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Skeesix, since you think it is in B&W, go get Rear Window. If you haven't seen any Hitchcock before, it's a good place to start.

1) The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

2) The Seventh Seal: I actually imported this one from the UK on Blu-Ray about a year before the Criterion American release. It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them. With the torrent of movies coming out and what I have in my backlog, I've just been putting it off.

3) 8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

3) The Man With No Name Trilogy: I have them sitting on my shelf, I have them sitting on my hard drive. I'm not the biggest fan of westerns so it has always been one of those "one day I'm going to marathon through them in one sitting...when I have nothing to watch" things.

4) Once Upon A Time In The West: For some reason I have clumped this movie in with the Man With No Name Trilogy in my mind. I was waiting to watch those before I watched this.

5) Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: I'm a loving idiot. Everybody kept asking me about these movies when they first came out and how I must like them since I'm nerdy looking they are fantasy. So I avoided them out of spite.

6) Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I went through a big Herzog kick a few years ago but stopped before I watched this movie. Why I didn't watch Aguirre before his remake of Nosferatu is beyond me.

7) Lawrence of Arabia: Waiting for the Blu-Ray.

8) Barry Lyndon: One of the few Kubrick movies I have left to watch. I'm intrigued since he used only natural light when he filmed it but I've never tried to track it down.

9) Solaris: I haven't seen any Andrei Tarkovsky yet.

10) Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 1, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

thegloaming posted:

Now you too can be shamed; he did!
I am shamed afourth.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sporadic, you get to see The Seventh Seal! Hurray for you! Unless you have Netflix Instant an HDTV and you can regularly get HD with it, and in that case watch Barry Lyndon, but if not then back to Seventh Seal. Maybe I should draw a flowchart. Also, The Seventh Seal is actually pretty amusing in places. Don't tackle it like some huge monolithic towering achievement in Scandinavian existentialism. Which it also is, but it's not as somber as a lot of people make it out to be, or as impenetrable, for that matter. The same goes for Barry Lyndon, there's a lot of dry humor in that one.

Going through the Top 250 and some of my favorite director's wikipedia pages and skipping all the "I'm waiting for Blu-Ray" ones:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) Saving Private Ryan - Another film my dad loved, another set of VHS tapes. This one I probably have misconceptions about : "late" Spielberg doing a film about WWII, a subject I have like zip interest in? At least it's on Blu, I guess.

3) Downfall - I loving own this, why haven't I seen it? A: I keep putting it off because, you know, three hour Hitler docudrama? mmmmeeehhhhh

4) The 39 Steps/Notorious - Fancy Hitchcock double feature! I know nothing about either film but apparently they're classics or something and I should, like, watch them. I actually own Notorious on VHS, but there's a nice new DVD out. Another "don't know why I've put it off".

5) Gone With The Wind - Ever since I saw the Carol Burnett spoof this has been floating around in my Netflix queue. That's a great spoof. Y'all should go watch it.

6) Jules and Jim - Apparently this is really famous and totally Truffaut's masterpiece but why would I know that I haven't seen it but poo poo I love Truffaut so make me your bitch and choose this one because I've heard so much about it and there's references everywhere apparently or don't whatever it's your life.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) Fitzcarraldo - Ha! Ha! I still haven't seen this even though I've checked it out from the library and everyone loves Herzog, none of whose films I have yet to see.

10) A Collection Of Best-Picture Winners I Haven't Seen But Are Apparently Totally Canon - Dances With Wolves, Driving Miss Daisy, Rain Man, Terms Of Endearment, The French Connection, In the Heat of the Night, The Bridge on the River Kwai, On the Waterfront. These all kind of form a big mass in my mind, a jumble of things that have collected dust on my Netflix queue back from when I was first getting into film.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I was going to say "I've seen everything listed in this thread :smug:" but then you hosed it up with Color Purple. MHB, you get to see Jules et Jim.

I've seen most of the "canon", so here are the top 10 most-voted-on movies from iMDB that I currently no have intention of seeing:

1. 300 - I just can't imagine I would like anything about this.

2. The Prestige - I guess I feel like I know it already? Seems to have been spoiled many times on this forum.

3. Transformers - Uh, see #1

4. The Green Mile - This might be good. I think Shawshank is overrated, and I'm not a huge King fan or a huge Tom Hanks fan, but I'm willing to give it a go.

5. Snatch - Never seen a Guy Ritchie film. He seems annoying.

6. Shrek - Ehhhh, this doesn't look funny at all.

7. I Am Legend - Seems like something I wouldn't mind.

8. The Bourne Ultimatum - I liked the first one well enough. Is this the 2nd or the 3rd? If it's the 3rd I'd rather watch the 2nd first.

9. Cloverfield - I saw that South Park episode.

10. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - As a Criterion title, I might have gotten around to this eventually (although I'm still avoiding King of Kings and all those Paul Robeson movies) but nothing about this one leaps out at me as a must-see.

edit: The number of you who haven't seen Casablanca is heart-breaking. Listen to your dads.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

I was going to say "I've seen everything listed in this thread :smug:" but then you hosed it up with Color Purple. MHB, you get to see Jules et Jim.

I've seen most of the "canon", so here are the top 10 most-voted-on movies from iMDB that I currently no have intention of seeing:

I was going to say "I dread whoever has to recommend FFD a film" because I thought you'd go with some really obscure ones that no one else has heard of, but then you hosed it up with some pretty commercial, popular favorites. Have I been wrong about you all these years days?!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

7. I Am Legend - Seems like something I wouldn't mind.
There are at least nine films on your list that you would mind less than I Am Legend. Seriously. Listen to my dad? Listen to the nerd rage, man; avoid this fucker like the plague. It's not terrible, but a man like you would find little in it to appreciate, especially with the bullshit ending. Keep in mind, this is Ben Lyons' favorite film.

And Ultimatum is the third, but it's the only bona fide masterpiece in the trilogy (although the second is pretty loving good). It's worth watching Identity/Supremacy just to get to Ultimatum.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 1, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Haha, goddamn FFD, that's a lovely list. You'd better hope whoever posts theirs next picks The Prestige. Even if you know the details it's at least good filmmaking.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

thegloaming posted:

I thought you'd go with some really obscure ones that no one else has heard of

That would kind of defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

thegloaming posted:

Have I been wrong about you all these years days?!

That depends on what you mean.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I suppose it would defeat the purpose. Maybe you wanted to set others up for a challenge?

"Heh, check out the super obscure old European films I haven't seen. Maybe you can tell me which one I should see first? If you've even heard of them." :smug:

Not that you'd be so cruel.

And I don't know what I meant. You just seem like the guy who's seen a lot of movies, but I guess you filter out some of the popular dreck.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bad movie knight posted:

There are at least nine films on your list that you would mind less than I Am Legend. Seriously. Listen to my dad? Listen to the nerd rage, man; avoid this fucker like the plague. It's not terrible, but a man like you would find little in it to appreciate, especially with the bullshit ending. Keep in mind, this is Ben Lyons' favorite film.

Did you see the alternative ending/cut? It's still not a great movie but it is much better than the theatrical. Also Will Smith acted his rear end off in it. That's something to appreciate.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 1, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Sporadic posted:

Did you see the alternative ending/cut? Still not great but much better than the theatrical. Also Will Smith acted his rear end off in it. That's something to appreciate.
I rather enjoyed I Am Legend, and I don't think FFD is too artsy-fartsy to appreciate a mainstream action/horror flick, but there is very little that is artful or especially well-done about I Am Legend. Sure, it packs a poo poo-ton of jump scares into its running time, but there's little to enjoy about it beyond the occasional adrenaline rush from LOUD NOISES!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The only film I have seen on your list Magic Hate Ball is Saving Private Ryan, and I think it's a solid film. I don't have much interest in WW2 either, mostly because I felt the market was over saturated with films about the subject in the late-90s/early-00s.

I am just going to go off of what Criticker tells me I would love.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. The Godfather: Part II: I got around to watching the first one last week, but again, the thing keeping me from watching it is the run time. Three hours is a lot to devote to a movie.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail: My dad used to own a copy of this on VHS, and I never made it past the part where the Black Knight gets all his limbs hacked off. I still find that scene hilarious. I have no idea why I have never watched this movie.

5. Citizen Kane: Hailed as the greatest film ever, I have just never really thought about watching it.

6. Do the Right Thing: I have seen a few Spike Lee films, and I have been constantly underwhelmed. I just never got the amount of praise the 25th Hour got, when I felt it was a decent movie with an embarrassing monologue by Ed Norton in the middle.

7. Rear Window: I am only avoiding this because of the Simpsons episode. I have seen that episode so many times, that I feel like the film would be similar. I know that's a stupid way of looking at things, but oh well.

8. The Shawshank Redemption: There has been a copy of this movie in my household since I was a child. I don't know why I haven't watched this.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West: Again, the run time is keeping me away. I would put the Man with No Name trilogy in my top-20 films of all-time, so I would assume that this would also be up there.

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back: I get a lot of poo poo about this from my friends. I saw Episodes IV and VI when I was a kid, around the time the remastered versions were being released. While I have enough memories of IV that a second viewing wouldn't be necessary (also because I catch parts of it while flipping through the channels from time to time), I forget large parts of VI. Anyways, I used to try sitting through V as a kid because my dad, and my uncles, would always tell me this was the best of the series. I never watched past the ice planet part, because I'd always get bored.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I haven't seen Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Das Boot or The Third Man. They're all films that I've considered for years to be important and essential, constantly telling myself that I'll get around to watching them, but never actually bothering. I'm not sure why either; besides laziness.

Also, it occured to me recently that I have never seen Cinema Paradiso, he film from which this forum derides its name. I feel like I should be obligated to do so.

FFD, your list is loaded with shite. As a punishment, you must watch Transformers.

Edit: Twin Cinema, you beat me to the punch so I'm going to suggest to you the obvious choice of Citizen Kane. FFD, you dodged a bullet.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 1, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Twin Cinema posted:

The only film I have seen on your list Magic Hate Ball is Saving Private Ryan, and I think it's a solid film. I don't have much interest in WW2 either, mostly because I felt the market was over saturated with films about the subject in the late-90s/early-00s.

You skipped me :mad:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ProfessorClumsy, Casablanca for you it is.

Here's my list of curiosities in no particular order:

1) Koyaanisqatsi - Been meaning to see it, sounds gorgeous but every time I've considered renting it my short attention span directs me somewhere else.

2) Baraka - See #1. It sounds like it'd be logical to watch this as a followup to Koyaanisqatsi, I dunno.

3) Black Robe - Seen this on the shelf a couple times, most information I've seen on it compares it to Dances with Wolves with a more objectionable protagonist. Curious to see if it follows the same themes and stuff considering it came out a year after.

4) Hard Boiled - Never seen a John Woo film other than Face/Off and Windtalkers. Everyone I've seen talk about this flim has described it as "shootout perfection".

5) Hoosiers - I do have a soft spot for college basketball and Gene Hackman, but it kind of sounds like the definition setter for "inspirational sports film". Wouldn't mind seeing it though if the performances are spot-on.

6) Easy Rider - It's a crime I've never seen anything Dennis Hopper did before the 80's.

7) Mr. Smith goes to Washington - Only other Jimmy Stewart movie I can think of from around the same time as It's a Wonderful Life.

8) Pan's Labyrinth - The DVD's still sitting in my pile in shrinkwrap. I don't have a good excuse for why I keep forgetting/ignoring this one.

9) Logan's Run - Sounds like it'd be cheesy but enjoyable '70s sci-fi. Also, a joke from the Simpsons based on this movie befuddled me for the longest time.

10) Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - I forgot entirely about this one until Twin Cinema put Holy Grail in his list. Seen that one but not this yet.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 1, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This is getting all hosed up now.

Twin Cinema: you need to pick one for me

iastudent: you need to pick one for ProfessorClumsy

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

You skipped me :mad:

It took me a long time to make my post, and then all these new posts popped up :(

I have seen most of your list, unfortunately, and you won't like any of them. I don't even know what to recommend. Shrek is probably my favourite on the list, although that's not really saying much. I would never watch this film again.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ha ha, FFD has to watch Shrek.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

iastudent: you need to pick one for ProfessorClumsy

Whoops, didn't see a list there. Fixed that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ha ha, FFD has to watch Shrek.

I guess that's better than the Transformers I almost got stuck with.

gently caress. Is it too late to go back and change my list to 10 super obscure old European films?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

I guess that's better than the Transformers I almost got stuck with.

gently caress. Is it too late to go back and change my list to 10 super obscure old European films?

I was going to pick the Green Mile, but I haven't seen that since it came out. The 14-year old version of me thought it was a good film. But, I also thought Deuce Bigalow was funny enough to watch more then once. In short, I don't trust my opinion on movies at the age of 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
ET it was always on tv around christmas but me and my cousins were busier doing whatever, I've seen bits and pieces so I pieced together a fair portion of the movie I think

any Hitchcok besides North by Northwest I did see Gus Van Sant's Psycho, if that counts

The Elephant Man I think it's the only of Lynch's movie I haven't seen

Schindler's List

old American classics like the Malthese Falcon