Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

FitFortDanga posted:

I was going to say "I've seen everything listed in this thread :smug:" but then you hosed it up with Color Purple. MHB, you get to see Jules et Jim.

I've seen most of the "canon", so here are the top 10 most-voted-on movies from iMDB that I currently no have intention of seeing:

1. 300 - I just can't imagine I would like anything about this.

2. The Prestige - I guess I feel like I know it already? Seems to have been spoiled many times on this forum.

3. Transformers - Uh, see #1

4. The Green Mile - This might be good. I think Shawshank is overrated, and I'm not a huge King fan or a huge Tom Hanks fan, but I'm willing to give it a go.

5. Snatch - Never seen a Guy Ritchie film. He seems annoying.

6. Shrek - Ehhhh, this doesn't look funny at all.

7. I Am Legend - Seems like something I wouldn't mind.

8. The Bourne Ultimatum - I liked the first one well enough. Is this the 2nd or the 3rd? If it's the 3rd I'd rather watch the 2nd first.

9. Cloverfield - I saw that South Park episode.

10. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - As a Criterion title, I might have gotten around to this eventually (although I'm still avoiding King of Kings and all those Paul Robeson movies) but nothing about this one leaps out at me as a must-see.

edit: The number of you who haven't seen Casablanca is heart-breaking. Listen to your dads.

Shawshank is mad overrated and I personally love Green Mile a lot more. Moreover, most of these aren't considered great at all, unless you equate great with popular.

I haven't seen a LOT.

1. Lawrence of Arabia- I'm not a huge fan of historical epics in general but I just know this movie would be up my alley based on the cinematography alone.

2. Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, or really, most Kurosawa- The Kurosawa films I've seen are Ikiru (loved it), Dreams (loved parts of it, was bored by others), Bad Sleep Well (was okay, but plodding and heavy-handed), and Rashomon (not sure where all the hype for this one comes from at all honestly. Toshiru Mifune was awesome but everything else about it was pretty average. What's the film that might sway me?

3. Schindler's List- Eh, I dunno. I'm vaguely interested in it.

4. City of God- I feel like I'd love this, I just always forget to watch it. It's somewhere in the depths of my netflix queue.

5. Godfather Part 2- I've seen Part 1 and loving Part 3 but still not what's basically considered the peak of the trilogy.

6. Mean Streets- I've seen lots and lots of Scorsese. I've seen Boxcar Bertha and Alice Doesn't Live Here twice and still never Mean Streets. Once, I watched the first 25 minutes and for some reason shut it off. I'm sure it's good.

7. Any Indiana Jones after the first one- Not particularly interested but if I ever have a kid or something I'll gladly see them.

8. Rear Window- This has been parodied and copied so many times I feel like I've already seen it. Actually, I haven't seen most Hitchcock, come to think of it. Vertigo was underwhelming, Psycho was incredible, Birds was stupid (but I was a kid), and that's about all I can remember seeing.

9. The Man With No Name Trilogy. Absolutely no excuse for this. Once Upon a Time in the West is the best Western I've ever seen, I love Leone in general and all three of the films are pretty widely acclaimed.

10. Annie Hall- I've seen Manhattan, and figured it's the same thing. Am I wrong? Also, Take the Money and Run is one of the most hysterical movies I've ever seen and nobody ever mentions it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

You forgot to pick a movie for me. :mad:

EDIT: I dunno what's wrong with me today. Anything that isn't a nicely formatted list with numbers and stuff just gets glazed over by myself.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 1, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Oops! DEFINITELY see Koyaanisqatsi right away.

edit: well damnit. HonestThief, watch ET. I'm going to keep my recommendation for iastudent though.

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 1, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This thread is spiraling out of control faster than the "Suggest a Movie to the Previous Poster" thread.

Honest Thief picks for iastudent
theBunt picks for Honest Thief
next guy picks for theBunt

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

the Bunt go watch Lawrence of Arabia. Actually, everything on your list, but start there.

The Decalogue: I know I'll love this, I've seen the first 4 episodes, but I want to watch it all in a relatively short timespan and keep putting it off.

Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those three are the only films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

Last Tango In Paris I don't know, always got the impression this would be boring, not sure why.

Lola Montes Had no way to watch a good copy of this until Criterion put it out recently. No real excuses any more.

Neotpravlennoye pismo My top rated film on Criticker.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Oh how I envy you.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Last Tango In Paris I don't know, always got the impression this would be boring, not sure why.
Whenever Marlon Brando gets a hold of some butter, it's never boring.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Uh Oh, Peaceful Anarchy. I haven't seen any of the films you haven't seen. How odd. Well, from what I hear, I recommend Last Tango in Paris

1. Night of the Hunter - Not sure why I've not seen this. I imagine it's because I've just never crossed paths with a copy of it.

2. Anything by Akira Kurosawa besides Seven Samurai - Really, I blame laziness on this one. I only ended up seeing Seven Samurai because I bought it as a gift for a roommate.

3. Se7en - I love David Fincher, but something about this movie gives me the willies. Plus I had the ending spoiled for me.

4. The Sixth Sense - Same as the last entry, I had the ending spoiled for me, so I never bothered, plus I have a strong dislike for Haley Joel Osment in anything he does.

5. A Clockwork Orange - I have a love hate relationship with Kubrick films, and I guess I just never made it around to see this.

6. Rosemary's Baby - a combo of how much the idea of the movie actually creeps me out (a lot) and how much it's been referenced in pop culture.

7. North by Northwest - again, a film I've just never really crossed paths with or gone out of my way to see. It's the only Hitchcock movie I haven't seen, I think.

8. Brazil - I don't have an excuse. I had the DVD for a while before I gave it back to it's owner. I could have watched, but never did.

9. The Devil's Backbone As someone who outright adores any and all Guillermo Del Toro, this one seems like something I should have seen. Hell, I've seen Mimic (Mimic! :gonk:) so I don't know what the gently caress my problem is.

10. The Exorcist - another product of having the film saturated into Pop Culture. Oddly, I've seen the third one (which I thought was genuinely creepy and well made)

I am SHAMED.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 1, 2010

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

FitFortDanga posted:

Honest Thief picks for iastudent

my bad, I shouldn't have skimmed the rules

iastudent posted:

8) Pan's Labyrinth - The DVD's still sitting in my pile in shrinkwrap. I don't have a good excuse for why I keep forgetting/ignoring this one.

Pan's Labyrinth for you then, even if you don't end up liking it's a really beatiful movie

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Skeesix posted:

I'm not that crazy about most black and white movies

I know it's out of turn, but you and TheBigBudgetSequel can see Night of the Hunter. That should fix the your concern about black and white. TheBigBudgetSequel: its available in netflix and almost any video store will have a dvd of it.

Apparently I have traveled widely in films (I liked the 1928 Passion of Joan of Arc) and remakes generally piss me off (did we need to remake Mutiny on the Bounty?). I have a few glaring issues:

1-3. The God Father 1, 2 and 3 I have never seen any of them. I suspect living in New York the last thing I want to look at are faux mafioso.
4. Schindler's List No interest. Everyone thinks I lost my mind not to see it but I just couldn't get worked up enough to even see it on cable.
3. Annie Hall I tried. Just couldn't make it past 15 minutes.
4. Some Like It Hot This is supposedly a great film. I have never been a fan of Monroe and every time I see her I feel bad for her.
5. Singin' In the Rain Seen the Gene Kelly dance number and feel like I saw all I needed to.
6. ET I honestly think it's a generational film. I suspect in 20 more years no one will care.
7. Blue Velvet more of an oversight. I fully intend to see it one day.
8-10. Amelie, Snatch, Transformers, etc. These qualify as "great" films?

More importantly there are a few films which are considered great that I would like to UNsee...I am looking at you Titanic and Braveheart.

Fixed because the list grew too fast

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 1, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Uh Oh, Peaceful Anarchy. I haven't seen any of the films you haven't seen. How odd. Well, from what I hear, I recommend Last Tango in Paris
I may not have the depth of viewing FFD has, but I do make a point of watching most popular movies along with critically acclaimed old and foreign stuff, so I couldn't really go that route. Of the 261 films with over 85000 votes on IMdb The Passion of the Christ is the only one I haven't seen.

Bedevere posted:

8-10. Amelie, Snatch, Transformers, etc. These qualify as "great" films?

These films have nothing in common. Amelie is legitimately great and miles above Snatch, which in turn is really good and miles above Transformers.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 1, 2010

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

These films have nothing in common. Amelie is legitimately great and miles above Snatch, which in turn is really good and miles above Transformers.

I haven't seen any of them. I suspect your ranking is right. I can't imagine Guy Ritchie producing anything but turds.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bad movie knight posted:

8. Touch of Evil: We watched the brilliant opening shot in film class, but apparently Professor Hoity-Toity didn't think the rest of the film was as good. Keep meaning to finish it, never get around to finishing it.

You're in the same exact boat as me on this one.

1) Casablanca: At this point I doubt I will be as impressed with this movie as AFI keeps telling me I should be. . . Although I really, really enjoyed Citizen Kane.

2) Every Hitchcock movie except Rear Window: Rear Window was great. I've seen snippets of practically everything else and keep hearing The Birds is over-rated. Still, Hitchcock's trailer for The Birds is amazing. I have a couple on my Netflix queue but they are about fifty slots down.

3) The Exorcist: I think I watched the first hour of this and it was really boring. Am I thinking of the right movie?

4) The French Connection: To be fair, this is on my Netflix list at #13. To be unfair, I keep bumping everything down for new releases, bad horror movies, and Asian epics.

5) An American Werewolf in London: Keeping getting told this is a must-see. Haven't yet.

6) Blue Velvet: In honor of Dennis Hopper, I have to see this.

7) Chinatown: That's right, I've never watched Chinatown. I just know he has bad issues with his nose and some thugs.

8) Raging Bull: I'd have probably seen this by now if I wasn't so sick of Robert De Niro.

9) The Maltese Falcon: This has been on my kinda-wanna list forever.

10) Touch of Evil: Yeah.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
OneThousandMonkeys -- I choose Chinatown for you, because it seems like you're going into it cold, which means you're going to like it all the more. Enjoy, and I can guarantee you will.

My list is shameful.

Berlin Alexanderplatz - love Fassbinder, but hugely intimidated by the time investment required.

Last Year At Marienbad - really didn't like Hiroshima Mon Amour, so I've avoided this one.

Inland Empire - I watch horror movies all the time, but I'm terrified by Lynch.

The Lady Vanishes - I have a Hitchcock set, but this isn't in it, so I've never done it.

Rules of the Game - effectively meaning I should be banished from CineD.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have never seen I Will Walk Like A Crazy Horse.

I just saw From Dusk Til Dawn last night.

I've never seen The Pianist or North By Northwest, but went out of my way to see Knife in the Water and Frenzy.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
InfiniteZero, you should watch Rules of the Game. It's awesome.

My shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once, halfway through on a plane, and never went back. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Vertigo - I've tried watching the film twice, and fell asleep both times about 30 minutes in. I usually love Hitchcock films, but the pacing on this one just gets me every time.

3) Goodfellas - after all the talk in the TVIV thread on Community and the great homage to the film, I meant to add it to my Netflix queue, but my list is rather full and I'll see it eventually.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - I just got crap for this over the weekend. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) The Sound of Music, Singin In the Rain, and musicals in general - I just can't get into them.

6) The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, and westerns in general - I like the few westerns I have seen, but I've just been slow to catch up.

7) Lawrence of Arabia - I'm waiting to catch this one in 70mm on the big screen. The American Cinematheque shows it every other month, so I'll catch it one of these days.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite.

10) City of God - I just imagine this will be pretty hard to watch.

I also have a shameful TV list, but that's another forum entirely.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

The prestige is really enjoyable once you know where its going and can pick up on the forshadowing, so being spoiled isnt such a big deal. Also the last third wont be a total what the gently caress.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Bedevere posted:

I haven't seen any of them. I suspect your ranking is right. I can't imagine Guy Ritchie producing anything but turds.

Snatch is honestly very good. There are some silly parts, but the story as a whole works.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I'll bite. I'm gonna try and list the movies that I have access to first, because that makes it easier to watch them.

1. Casablanca. What hasn't been said about it? I can quote it, and it's been sitting on my shelf, but I just haven't actually sat down to watch it yet.

2. Pulp Fiction. The only Tarantino I've seen has been Inglourious Basterds. This seems wrong.

3. Fargo. Likewise with the Coens, I haven't seen their most lauded work (both this and Lebowski, but I have this on DVD), but I've seen Burn After Reading, A Serious Man, and No Country for Old Men.

4. Rocky. I still can't believe I haven't watched this, especially having watched Rocky IV and Balboa.

5. Annie Hall. Haven't seen any Woody Allen. I should, though. This is his masterpiece.

6. The Godfather. I'm gonna get so yelled at for this list.

7. Blade Runner. The quintessential Sci-Fi, bought for $5 at a garage sale with Clerks. You know which one I ended up watching.

8. Dr. Strangelove. I feel bad that I haven't see this, especially with how much I love comedies.

9. Taxi Driver. I actually have seen the first 45 minutes of this, but my family, who I was watching with, didn't really dig it, so we started to watch something else. I should finish it.

10. There Will Be Blood. This is really on here because I can't think of a better 10th to put here that I have on DVD/my DVR.

Man, I really need to watch the movies I buy, I own all of these accept for Annie Hall, which I recorded a few days ago.

Vorpal Bunny, you sir, are lucky, because I happen to be a huge fan of musicals. You sir, shall watch The Music Man (my personal favorite musical, even if you didn't mention it). If we're playing "Stick to the List", watch Singin' in the Rain. I'm not mean enough to subject you to the boredom that you'll suffer from watching Sound of Music.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Yoshifan823 posted:

Vorpal Bunny, you sir, are lucky, because I happen to be a huge fan of musicals. You sir, shall watch The Music Man (my personal favorite musical, even if you didn't mention it). If we're playing "Stick to the List", watch Singin' in the Rain. I'm not mean enough to subject you to the boredom that you'll suffer from watching Sound of Music.

Thank you! Just the nudge I needed.

Is THE MUSIC MAN the one that WALL-E is based partly on? Or is that HELLO DOLLY?

I know I should see that one as well, to help deepen my love for WALL-E. Perhaps I'll make it a double feature!

EDIT - by the way, I totally get the habit of buying DVDs you never actually watch. Half the stuff on our DVD shelf is still wrapped in plastic, even though I know I want to watch them someday. There is just too much good stuff out there!

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 2, 2010

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
I'm going to go in a different direction, Yoshi, and suggest that instead of Annie Hall you watch Crimes and Misdemeaners (hopefully that's cool to do with this thread). I have a love/hate relationship with Allen movies, but that film blew my bollocks off. It's fantastic, and a good reminder that sometimes someone's most notable work isn't their best.

I feel the need to justify mine. Americans have Netflix, RedBox, whatever, but over in Australia film rental has just died and there's pretty much nothing reasonable to replace it (that I know of). If you want a movie, you pretty much have to buy it. I have no money. That said:

1. Seven Samurai - Kurosawa in general, really. I've seen Rashomon, but for some reason I have never crossed paths with his other films.

2. Solaris - I recently saw Stalker (if you need any more shame, it's because I liked S.T.A.L.K.E.R., okay?), which was absolutely amazing and convinced me that I've been missing something by not chasing up Tarkovsky earlier.

3. Chinatown - I know almost nothing about this film save the amazing poster.

4. Touch of Evil - Same boat as everyone else. I've seen the opening shot, which I found intriguing because I wonder how a film could progress from such an ostentatious opener.

5. Unforgiven - I have no excuse for not seeing this one. Love westerns, love Eastwood, and I've seen most of the notable Spaghetti westerns. I've just somehow never moved on from then. I'm not sure I've ever seen a post-1975 western. Mostly because I live near a theatre that plays double-features from a really wide variety of films and despite frequent westerns I'm not sure they've ever played any 80s/90s work.

I'm doing exam stuff at the moment, so I might not be able to watch my suggestion right away, but I'll try to get around to it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VorpalBunny posted:

Thank you! Just the nudge I needed.

Is THE MUSIC MAN the one that WALL-E is based partly on? Or is that HELLO DOLLY?

I know I should see that one as well, to help deepen my love for WALL-E. Perhaps I'll make it a double feature!

EDIT - by the way, I totally get the habit of buying DVDs you never actually watch. Half the stuff on our DVD shelf is still wrapped in plastic, even though I know I want to watch them someday. There is just too much good stuff out there!

That is Hello Dolly, which is also very good. Music Man's got Ron Howard (pre-Oscars, hell, pre-puberty) and songs that you'll probably recognize (though I can't be certain about that). It's my favorite musical, because it was the first one I saw, and the first musical production I was ever in, so it's sentimental for me. And, as long as you're watching the original (the one with Matthew Broderick, Kristin Chenowith, and James Garner defies all expectations by being godawful), it's a legitimately good movie, too.

I'll see if I can't find Crimes and Misdemeaners, through Netflix or something like that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

OneThousandMonkeys, you didn't recommend a movie to Bedevere

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Since bmk's mailbox is full (I guess some people don't obsessively clean up like their messages like I do) I'll respond here:

quote:

bad movie knight wrote on Jun 01, 2010 13:20:
Just for my own peace of mind, what on earth gave you the idea that you'd enjoy this film more than anything else on the list (excluding, I presume, The Green Mile)? It couldn't be less of your cup of tea if it tried.

I dunno, isn't it supposed to be mildly intelligent sci-fi? I kind of like "last man on Earth" scenarios.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The book is but the movie sure as hell isn't.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Kieselguhr Kid, I reccomend you watch Chinatown. Amazing movie, even if you're not a huge fan of Jack Nicholson (didn't know this was possible until earlier in this thread) I think you'll still enjoy. If you do end up liking it, check out more of Polanski's work, he may be a dirty old perv, but he makes drat good films.

As far as my own list goes...

1) The Godfather Parts II/III - I've seen the first multiple times and loved it more and more every time. I even own the entire trilogy on DVD. Yet I've never progressed past the first one, mostly because when I'm in the mood for watching this kind of movie, I just watch the first one and then never really get the urge to watch the other two.

2) 8 1/2 - Its been sitting on my netflix queue since I registered my account but I've never gotten around to actually renting it. It was even available to stream (in HD) for a short while and I promised myself I'd watch it before it expired, but alas, I forgot. I love old films and have no problem with black and white, so its odd that I've never seen this one.

3) Shawshank Redemption - Everyone hypes the poo poo out of this movie to me, which is probably why I've never bothered seeing it. I've seen it parodied a million times and the premise just doesn't sound that interesting.

4) Barry Lyndon - I love Kubrick and this movie looks gorgeous from the stills I've seen. The length is probably what has kept me away for this long.

5) The Deer Hunter - Saw the first hour and got distracted, never went back. I own the DVD, and have heard great things, but I found the first hour moved really slow and it just didn't really hold my attention. Worth another shot, just need to muster up the energy to do so.

6) Any of the Indiana Jones movies - Never been huge into Spielberg, and all three of the original movies came out before I was born (a fact which will probably make a lot of you feel very old) so I missed out on the huge Indiana Jones craze.

7) Se7en - Had the ending spoiled for me some way or another which has really killed my desire to see this.

8) Lawrence of Arabia - Really want to see this, but I'm also really trying to wait until the blu-ray is (finally) released.

9) Alien - Again, before my time, never really had a desire to watch it.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The book is but the movie sure as hell isn't.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's two hours of jump scares capped off by a retarded-rear end ending. Haven't seen the alternate ending, but it's supposed to be better.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Jeff Wiiver, you get Seven just because I love the gently caress out of that movie, oh and 8 1/2 is back up on Watch Instantly.

Anyway, my list.

La Strada - Been in my NetFlix Watch Instantly queue forever

Barry Lyndon - Only haven't seen this because of the length, my general dislike for later Kubrick and people have said it's kinda boring.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - No idea why I haven't seen this yet, probably just laziness on my part.

and these are just ones that I haven't seen that have the most top lists entries at icheckmovies...

Andrey Rublyov
Solaris
Fanny and Alexander
Ikiru
Stalker
Tokyo Story
Cabaret

Sorry, nothing really to say to these except I have not seen a whole lot of foreign films and Cabaret just seems stupid.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Apparently my list was so shameful, nobody wanted to recommend me one to watch. :smith:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Apparently my list was so shameful, nobody wanted to recommend me one to watch. :smith:

Sure you did, you got recommended Night of the Hunter.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Sure you did, you got recommended Night of the Hunter.

My reading skills have apparently gone to poo poo. Thank you good sir.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010
Wilhelm Scream, you shall watch Tokyo Story

1)The Godfather Trilogy - I am constantly hearing about these movies. Everyone always says the 3rd is the worst, the 2nd is the best, so I wonder if I should even bother with the movies at all since it ends on a lovely note apparently?

2)Citizen Kane- The supposed greatest movie of all time holds a special place in my netflix queue. That place where it kind of floats near the top but keeps getting knocked down due to other movies that spark my interest.

3)GoodFellas- I tried to watch this but the copy netflix sent me was garbage.

4)Monty Python and The Holy Grail- Im just not sure I will enjoy the British Humor here, but ive heard its hilarious so Im willing to give it a shot

5)Casablanca- A classic that in my mind exists as a boring overrated love story, I know this is probably far from the truth

6)Audition- I absolutely adore a good horror movie and this one sounds delightfully uneasing.

7)Die Hard- Bruce Willis + Action movie = Stuff Ive seen 10,000 times over.

8)Pirates of the Caribbean- These movies look like fun, I have no reason for not seeing them yet

9)A Clockwork Orange- I have just recently seen The Shining and 2001: A Space Odyssey, I loved them both so I would like to see more of Kubrick. My father also recommended this movie, and with his picky taste it peaked my interest even more in this film

10)Vertigo- I havent seen much Hitchcock besides Psycho and The Birds, Ive heard nothing but fantastic things about this film I just havent got around to seeing it. Its on my netflix queue somewhere.

sursumdeorsum fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 2, 2010

Knoddus
Oct 30, 2007
Born in a crossfire hurricane
sursumdeorsum, I think you should watch at least one of the first two Godfather-films. I don't have anything to say that hasn't been said, really. They're just brilliant on every level, great acting, compelling story, beautifully shot, etc.

My list:

1. La Règle du jeu - Had a friend that used to rave about it all the time, promised him I'd watch it but never got around to it.
2. Chinatown - I really like Nicholson, but for some reason I declined borrowing it from a relative.
3. Chungking Express - I rarely watch asian films, don't know why.
4. Caché - Like Haneke, Binoche and Auteuil, why haven't I seen this?
5. La Haine - Again a friend wanted me to see it, still haven't.
6. Barton Fink - Kind of hyped up, been afraid it won't live up to it.
7. Crimes and Misdemeanors - Feels like forgotten Woody Allen, should have seen it by now.
8. Solaris - Need to see more russian film.
9. Five Easy Pieces - Nicholson again!
10. Paris, Texas - Saw like 15 minutes of it a year ago, liked it but I had to interrupt it for whatever reason.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Knoddus posted:

My list:

1. La Règle du jeu - Had a friend that used to rave about it all the time, promised him I'd watch it but never got around to it.
2. Chinatown - I really like Nicholson, but for some reason I declined borrowing it from a relative.
3. Chungking Express - I rarely watch asian films, don't know why.
4. Caché - Like Haneke, Binoche and Auteuil, why haven't I seen this?
5. La Haine - Again a friend wanted me to see it, still haven't.
6. Barton Fink - Kind of hyped up, been afraid it won't live up to it.
7. Crimes and Misdemeanors - Feels like forgotten Woody Allen, should have seen it by now.
8. Solaris - Need to see more russian film.
9. Five Easy Pieces - Nicholson again!
10. Paris, Texas - Saw like 15 minutes of it a year ago, liked it but I had to interrupt it for whatever reason.

I won't recommend since I'm already in the cycle (just put Shrek on hold at the library!) but I would say 7 or 8 of those are overrated to some degree.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
We should all have a Se7en watching party! It's being recommended quite frequently.

I'm getting it from Netflix right after I return Raging Bull :)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

sursumdeorsum posted:

1)The Godfather Trilogy - I am constantly hearing about these movies. Everyone always says the 3rd is the worst, the 2nd is the best, so I wonder if I should even bother with the movies at all since it ends on a lovely note apparently?

I haven't seen the third film and in no way do I feel the stories of the first two are incomplete. It was released 16 years after the second.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There is nothing essential whatsoever in Godfather III, especially next to two of the greatest films of all time.

FitFortDanga posted:

I won't recommend since I'm already in the cycle (just put Shrek on hold at the library!) but I would say 7 or 8 of those are overrated to some degree.

But they're all worth watching, in any case, although I've never seen La Regle du Jeu.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I haven't seen the third film and in no way do I feel the stories of the first two are incomplete. It was released 16 years after the second.

Oh okay I didnt realize there was such a huge gap between them. Thanks : )

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
1) Unforgiven: It's one of those westerns that I know I'd really love, and I own a copy of it, but just never got around to. The more I read about it, though, I think I oughta save it until I've seen a few more Eastwood westerns (Pale Rider, Outlaw Josey Wales, etc.)

2) Cidade de Deus: Just about everyone I went to film school with swore by City of God and overhyped it to the point where I simply wasn't interested anymore. It's one that I'm sure is worth watching, but has always been a really low priority.

3) A Clockwork Orange: One of the few Kubrick films I've still yet to see. Lately I've started to really come around on Kubrick, having finally seen and really enjoyed Full Metal Jacket as well as watching Spielberg's A.I. and reading up on Kubrick's history with the film. Clockwork Orange seems the most divisive among my friends. Some love it for how sick and depraved it is and others hate it for the same reason. Don't know where I'll come down on it, but I'm game.

4) Requiem for a Dream: I've seen all of Aronofsky's other films, and have liked/loved all of them (even The Fountain, so glad I saw it in theaters). Despite that, I've stayed away from Requiem mostly due to the subject matter. I don't doubt Aronofsky's talent as a director or a storyteller, but I'm not sure if I care to be royally depressed by this film the way so many talk about it.

5) Singin' in the Rain: On the opposite end of the emotional spectrum, there's Singin' in the Rain. I don't have much a story or excuse for this one. Just never got around to it.

6) Gates of Heaven: I'm a big fan of Errol Morris, but Gates of Heaven is one of his that's always eluded me. That and A Brief History of Time.

7) Just about any Martin Scorsese film that isn't Goodfellas or his 2000s output. I've always really enjoyed what I've seen of his, and I'm still kicking myself for not being able to take the course on Scorsese during college.

8) Or David Lynch for that matter. I've seen Eraserhead and The Straight Story, but for some reason just have never been able to force myself to sit down and watch a Lynch movie.

9) L.A. Confidential: How I've still never seen this movie is a mystery to me.

10) Being There: This seems like the kind of movie I would love, as I'm a fan of Peter Sellers and political satires in general.

RECOMMENDATION TIME: Knoddus, I guess I'll recommend you watch Chungking Express. Of the films you listed, it seems the least...ponderous, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Curses! I leave the internet for a couple hours and utter chaos ensues. We're better than this, people!

I'll update the post to make things more clear.

Twin Cinema posted:

7. Rear Window: I am only avoiding this because of the Simpsons episode. I have seen that episode so many times, that I feel like the film would be similar. I know that's a stupid way of looking at things, but oh well.

Finally, someone else with the "saw it on the Simpsons" excuse. I wonder how many movies that show has ruined for me. Actually it's always fun to rewatch episodes once you've seen a handful of films; chances are you'll catch a reference you never noticed before.

e: okay, the OP has new bold/underlined text at the beginning. I don't want this to turn out like that other thread... *shudders*

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 2, 2010