Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I happened upon Gummo part way in the first time I saw it and it took me a good while to realize I wasn't watching a documentary.

EDIT

Ok, wait a minute.

I found a free place to watch my assignment, Nashville and...

So this is a Robert Altman film starring Ned Beatty, Karen Black, Shelly Duvall, Lily Tomlin and Jeff loving Goldblum? Where's this loving movie been all my life? Gonna settle in with some indica, get in the hot tub and finally watch this thing so thanks in advance to whoever gave it to me to watch.

I will report back with my findings.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

One thing I've alway liked about Altman is how he films people the way most of us talk. Over each other, not waiting our "turn" and filmed in a way that feels natural, where people are often at cross purposes as they express themselves. This is evident right off the bat and throughout the film and it gives this film a fly on the wall documentary feel, similar to MASH. There's always ambient noise and things that distract us from what's going on. One can tell he allows his actors to work, but he never allows them to get sloppy; at least in the final edit.

*Smoking in the Hospital*

I watched this movie and I still can't figure out what it's really about though? Hopes and dreams I guess? It was entertaining enough and I'm glad I watched it but I wasn't blown away by it and it kind of left me wanting for a bit more...substance I guess.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I watched this movie and I still can't figure out what it's really about though? Hopes and dreams I guess?

Whenever I watch an Altman film I'm reminded how despite characters/people having intersecting lives everyone is kind of just living in their own little world at the end of the day. 3 Women and Short Cuts being two other prime examples.

I recently watched Welcome to L.A. which is regarded as kind of a poor man's Nashville.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oh, I guess I'm supposed to assign a movie to the person who gave me NAshville but I don't remember who that was. Found it

Basebf555 posted:

6. The Fisher King: I enjoy Gilliam as much as the next guy(Brazil is one of my favorite movies), but never got around to this one for some reason.

If you like Gilliam you'll probably dig this. Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams are really good in it.

Also need to update my list and add a few new ones

Casablanca - I've seen "The Maltese Falcon" and "The African Queen" but can take or leave Bogart. Plus I know the gist of the story and the ending, so just never felt the urgency.

On the Waterfront - I usually like Brando so not sure how I never got to his one

High Noon - Not a huge fans of westerns in general so never piqued my interest but I like GOOD westerns.

The Producers - I usually like Mel Brooks and somehow never got around to this one

Pan's Labyrinth - Sounds dumb but I need to be in the mood to deal with subtitles

The Bridge on the River Kwai - Need to be in the mood for a war movie too. Apparently I'm moody.

The Thin Red Line - Speaking of war movies, this one has been recommended to me and has drawn favorable comparisons to "Apocalypse Now", "Full Metal Jacket" and "Platoon" so I am very interested. Might watch it soon anyway if no one suggests it.

Patton - Another war movie. Was always worried this would be hokey and too "USA! USA!". The people I know who love it tend to be authoritarian types.

Nashville - I like Altman a lot but musicals are a hard sell for me if it's the main thrust like "Chicago", "Dreamgirls" or "Moulin Rouge"

Double Indemnity - I like caper films and double crosses and poo poo. The description sounds like the Coen' s "The Man Who Wasn't There" which I liked a lot.

The Last Picture Show - In honor of the late and recently deceased director, Peter Bogdanovich, I'll add this

The Conversation - I like Gene Hackman and capers and have seen snippets of this. It looks interesting and up my alley

Duck Soup - Seen a couple of Marx Brothers movies but not this one

Ronin - I enjoy Deniro and this film has flown under my radar

Wait Until Dark - Heard a lot about this one but never watched it.

Body Heat - This looks like something I might enjoy
[/quote]

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, I guess I'm supposed to assign a movie to the person who gave me NAshville but I don't remember who that was. Found it

You pick a movie from the list of the last person posted a list rather than the person who last recommended one to you.

So you can pick one of these for me to watch:

-Time of the Gypsies
-The Tin Drum
-The Phantom of Liberty
-The Day of the Jackal
-Silkwood
-The Ascent
-The Hidden
-The Pride of the Yankees
-The Best of Everything
-Faces of Death

If you haven't seen any of them or don't have an opinion on them then you can just choose at random.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zogo posted:

You pick a movie from the list of the last person posted a list rather than the person who last recommended one to you.

So you can pick one of these for me to watch:

-Silkwood

If you haven't seen any of them or don't have an opinion on them then you can just choose at random.

Oh. Well, poo poo. I haven't seen most of these movies and was looking forward to The Fisher King but OK.

Let's see.

I gotta go with Silkwood then because it's a great cast, Meryl Streep was approaching the height of her powers here and even though it's been a long time since I've seen it, I recall enjoying it a lot.

So go watch Silkwood, Zogo. Thanks!

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

BiggerBoat, see High Noon

Just saw In the Heat of the Night and I must say I was pretty impressed with it. It really transports you to a small, hick town in the deep south during the 1960's. The scenery was perfect. Both Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier were at the top of their game in this. Even the mystery had enough twists and turns so as to not be too predictable. The music was really good, too. I like how both men had to overcome the animosity and racial prejudices between them and came to respect each other in the end.

My List:
Rio Bravo - This will be my John Wayne spot for now.

The Greatest Showman - My daughter recommended this one.

The Warriors - Warriors, come out to play. NEWEST

The Cocoanuts - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. This is their first movie.OLDEST

Battleship Potempkin - Don't know much about this one.

Pelle the Conquerer - Big fan of Max Von Sydow. Need to see more of his work.

The Road to El Dorado - Heard a lot about this movie, Looking forward to seeing it.

White Christmas - Just saw Holiday Inn. Looking forward to seeing this film

Interstellar - Trying to see some newer sci-fi.

Wild at Heart - Keeping the David Lynch fest going.

Guys and Dolls - A slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dmitri Russkie posted:

The Warriors - Warriors, come out to play. NEWEST

"You Warriors are good. Real good."

Silkwood - This one is based on a true story and full of stars. It focuses on the fears of workers who are being exposed to potentially dangerous levels of radiation. The familiar union vs. company problems are hashed out once again. It'd make a good companion piece with The China Syndrome. And like many films from the era it shines a light on domestic problems like those found in Kramer vs. Kramer.

Anyway, Karen Silkwood (Meryl Streep) is seen as a troublemaker as she exposes all kinds of corporate malfeasance and quarrels with employees who've prioritized money over safety. In 2023 it feels like ideological absurdism with many of the characters chain smoking cigarettes and drinking booze (while being wary of carcinogens).

In the final analysis if you think Norma Rae and Erin Brockovich are too cheerful then this might be the film for you.

James Bond versus Godzilla (51/64 completed):

Hesitation (149 completed):

#129 Time of the Gypsies - It's been on my radar for a long time but it's been hard to track down. 11/9/22

#142 The Tin Drum - Sounds like an odd one but it has a lot of fans. 6/14/23

#144 The Phantom of Liberty - Sounds kind of like The Meaning of Life. 6/22/23

#149 The Day of the Jackal - I've heard this is a well made one. 8/20/23

#153 The Ascent - I've heard only good things about this one. 9/6/23

#155 The Hidden - Sounds like a unique premise. 10/3/23

new #156 Phantasm II - I lurk those horror challenge threads every year and I was reminded that I should watch this one. I saw the original film many years ago and totally forgot to watch the others. 11/1/23

AFI's 10 Top 10 (99/100 completed):

The Pride of the Yankees - This one has always looked really shmaltzy but you can't judge a film from only a few snippets. 9/8/22

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (48/50 completed):

Entertainment Weekly's Top 50 Cult Movies (48/50 completed):

#39 The Best of Everything - Going into this one completely blind. 7/17/23

#50 Faces of Death - Banned in 46 countries! This one will probably be very nasty. Just another roadblock to blast through to complete another list. 9/21/23

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

new #156 Phantasm II - I lurk those horror challenge threads every year and I was reminded that I should watch this one. I saw the original film many years ago and totally forgot to watch the others. 11/1/23

Absolutely zero chance I'm passing up the invitation to bring Phantasm into the thread.

Watched Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989):

In the film's opening scene, Ann (Andie MacDowell) is talking to her therapist about how sex is overrated. She's not entirely convincing. Her husband John (Peter Gallagher) is having an affair with her sister, Cynthia (Laura San Giacomo). Then John's old friend Graham (James Spader) comes back to town after nine years, and the sexually repressed Ann finds out about his personal project (read: kink)--he likes filming interviews with women talking about their sex lives. Steven Soderbergh's debut feature had a hell of an impact on the American indie scene, launching his career as the youngest direct to win the Palme d'Or at Cannes. I'm a fan of his, but it's tough to know where to go in his prolific filmography, so it was nice to catch up with this. I'd definitely put it towards the top of what I've seen. This is a tight, well-acted character piece on the main four. Each of the characters has a specific, unique relationship to the other three, and it's compelling to watch them all pair off at various times and play off one another. There are only a handful of other speaking roles, and they're all characters with no proper names and only a handful of lines. I think the fifth biggest speaking role is a barfly who hits on the sisters. Spader gets top billing, and he's excellent, but this really feels like Ann's story to me, and MacDowell's performance is just as strong. Also, an aspect I enjoyed that I haven't seen commented on much was the score, which is mostly kind of droning, ambient noise which highlighted the simmering tension in the personal relationships between the characters. As fully formed a debut film you'll see by any director.

LIST OF SHAME:
15. Tokyo Story (1953) (added 07-29-22): I've never seen an Ozu film, and this is considered a masterpiece.
16. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) (added 08-08-22): Kazan and Brando's first collaboration, not to mention Brando's first Oscar nod.
18. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) (added 08-31-22): The most iconic film directed by John Cassavetes, who I've thus far only seen on the other side of the camera.
19. True Stories (1986) (added 09-30-22): I've been a diehard Talking Heads fan for almost as long as I've followed pop music, but I've never seen this musical comedy, David Byrne's sole directorial credit for a feature film.
21. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) (added 04-03-23): A big influence on my favorite film, The Royal Tenenbaums.
24. Godzilla (1954) (added 07-29-23): Time to rectify having only seen the Roland Emmerich slop.
26. Night on Earth (1991) (added 08-20-23): The only Jarmusch I haven't seen (aside from the music docs).
27. The New World (2005) (added 09-01-23): The biggest gap in my Terrence Malick viewing.
28. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) (added 09-26-23): Universally considered one of silent film's greatest masterpieces.
(and introducing...)
29. Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957) (added 11-05-23): Can I really call myself a bad movie fan until I see this?

SHAME OVERCOME (19 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989)

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 22, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

16. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) (added 08-08-22): Kazan and Brando's first collaboration, not to mention Brando's first Oscar nod.

"I don't want realism. I want magic!"

Phantasm II - I remember the original film being a unique mixture of mystery, horror, fantasy and sci-fi. While this one felt more conventional I suppose it still continues that tradition with its spheres, creatures and enigmatic villain. I had a friend whose favorite movie quote for a long time was simply https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NpvkmyGlRc

The Tall Man is once again raising up an army of Jawa lookalikes by looting a bunch of cemeteries. So some of the heroes of the original film decide to hunt him down. Things move very fast and with the ostentatious weaponry (e.g. the infamous quadruple barrel shotgun) I was reminded a little of Vampires (1998).

Also watched:

The Day of the Jackal - The OAS is angry with Charles de Gaulle and trying to assassinate him. After another failed assassination attempt they decide to hire a professional hitman for $500,000 USD. This is funded primarily by robbing banks. The assassin (Edward Fox) is all business, very methodical and always one step ahead of the authorities (despite his cover being blown).

The film takes its time as we're shown scenes with French authorities torturing people and trying to find the whereabouts of the assassin. News traveled more slowly back in the early 1960s. The assassination fails.

I think fans of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) would enjoy this one.

Hesitation (151 completed):

#129 Time of the Gypsies - It's been on my radar for a long time but it's been hard to track down. 11/9/22

new #157 The Tall T - A Western with a good reputation. 11/8/23

new #158 Running on Empty - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQKvtbD6Kw 11/8/23

AFI's 10 Top 10 (99/100 completed):

The Pride of the Yankees - This one has always looked really shmaltzy but you can't judge a film from only a few snippets. 9/8/22

#50 Faces of Death - Banned in 46 countries! This one will probably be very nasty. Just another roadblock to blast through to complete another list. 9/21/23

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 9, 2023

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Zogo, the only one I've seen on your list is Pride of the Yankees, so you get to see that one.

Saw The Warriors. Very good movie. It kept your interest during the movie and moved along fairly well. Music was good and it really transported you to late '70's New York. Fairly good job by the cast and very enjoyable.

Also watched The Cocoanuts starring the Marx Brothers. Fun movie. It was the usual Marx Brothers madness, but I always enjoy these movies. The musical numbers were pretty good, too. Not quite Animal Crackers or A Night at the Opera, but still a lot of fun.

My List:
Rio Bravo - This will be my John Wayne spot for now.

The Greatest Showman - My daughter recommended this one.

Jason and the Argonauts - I've seen the skeleton attacking scene countless times, but never saw any of the rest of it.

Monkey Business - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. NEWEST

Battleship Potempkin - Don't know much about this one.

Pelle the Conquerer - Big fan of Max Von Sydow. Need to see more of his work. OLDEST

The Road to El Dorado - Heard a lot about this movie, Looking forward to seeing it.

White Christmas - Just saw Holiday Inn. Looking forward to seeing this film

Interstellar - Trying to see some newer sci-fi.

Wild at Heart - Keeping the David Lynch fest going.

Guys and Dolls - A slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies.

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 10, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

quote:

Dmitri Russkie, watch Wild at Heart. I'm not the biggest David Lynch Fan but I remember liking this one when I watched it a long time ago.

___

I watched High Noon and liked it a lot.

I thought the acting was kind of hit or miss. It was a kick seeing a young Lloyd Bridges and Harry Morgan but some of the performances came off a little stiff, especially Cooper. The two female leads really shine though. One minor nitpick I have with older films is the consistent 90 degree camera angles where most scenes are framed like a play and don't do much to set themselves apart but this one breaks that mold a bit with some bird's eye view shots and some nice framing here and there. I particularly liked the continued callbacks to the train tracks/station where the posse was waiting and also the ticking clock, which seems to be unfolding in real time.

The storytelling here and the script are quite good. We're given several well sketched out characters, all with conflicting motives but with enough in common to make you root for the good guy, while still being able to find sympathy with the ones who just want the whole situation to pass and go away. It's kind of a lesson on bullying and the idea of having the courage to stand up to it; because of or in spite of one's moral compass. Or lack thereof. The film does a great job of building suspense while simultaneously informing and giving equal time to several very well fleshed out characters, which is shown more than told.

I read some political overtones into the film as well, some of which resonate today. Kane felt a bit like a mayor who's respected but who has fallen out of favor for numerous reasons and who is reduced to going around town to drum up votes (support), even interrupting a church service to solicit help. Is he brave, altruistic and purposeful or just stubborn? Is he selfish for putting his new bride in harm's way when he has the option to just gently caress off and retire? Most of the town folk, are similarly conflicted and motivated by their own self interests, levels of courage and peer pressure, to varying degrees.

Oddly, the titular hour climax was, to me, the film's weakest point and mostly degenerates into a standard shootout. The only real moment of triumph and decisiveness was Amy Kane's (Grace Kelly) ultimate redemption, which I felt was telegraphed a mile away and the movie's last 10 minutes are pretty much your basic Red Dead Redemption/Western cinema gun fight that rather abruptly ends the film.

Very good overall though. 9/10

quote:

Casablanca - I've seen "The Maltese Falcon" and "The African Queen" but can take or leave Bogart. Plus I know the gist of the story and the ending, so just never felt the urgency.

On the Waterfront - I usually like Brando so not sure how I never got to his one

High Noon - Not a huge fans of westerns in general so never piqued my interest but I like GOOD westerns.

The Producers - I usually like Mel Brooks and somehow never got around to this one

Pan's Labyrinth - Sounds dumb but I need to be in the mood to deal with subtitles

The Bridge on the River Kwai - Need to be in the mood for a war movie too. Apparently I'm moody.

The Thin Red Line - Speaking of war movies, this one has been recommended to me and has drawn favorable comparisons to "Apocalypse Now", "Full Metal Jacket" and "Platoon" so I am very interested. Might watch it soon anyway if no one suggests it.

Patton - Another war movie. Was always worried this would be hokey and too "USA! USA!". The people I know who love it tend to be authoritarian types.

Nashville - I like Altman a lot but musicals are a hard sell for me if it's the main thrust like "Chicago", "Dreamgirls" or "Moulin Rouge"

Double Indemnity - I like caper films and double crosses and poo poo. The description sounds like the Coen' s "The Man Who Wasn't There" which I liked a lot.

The Last Picture Show - In honor of the late and recently deceased director, Peter Bogdanovich, I'll add this

The Conversation - I like Gene Hackman and capers and have seen snippets of this. It looks interesting and up my alley

Wait Until Dark - Heard a lot about this one but never watched it.

Body Heat - This looks like something I might enjoy

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 11, 2023

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

BiggerBoat, I really liked Wait Until Dark when I saw it as a teenager. Been a long time since then though, hope you like it.

Finally watched Journey to Italy and picked an odd time to do it: I just got married this weekend.

It’s not the film, it’s me. I’m not upset about any of its depiction of a disintegrating relationship, just not really mentally in a place where I'm going to get deep into the emotions of these characters right now because my own attitude toward marriage and love is pretty high at the moment. There’s parts that jump out to me, particularly when the Italian culture becomes the focus — the museum with the closeups of the various sculptures, the archeological dig of the bodies found in the ruins of Pompeii — but I couldn’t really get into the story here. I can respect its dramatic excellence but I think I was at an emotional distance for what the film was exploring and had to snap myself back into it repeatedly.

My List:

They Shoot Pictures Don't They 2023 (555/1,000):

Children of Paradise (1945) - Also the film that has been on my personal watchlist for the longest!

Late Spring (1949) - Been a long time since I’ve sat down with Ozu. Maybe as I get older I’ll click with him more, as it is I more appreciated than really loved him when I watched some of his stuff in college.

Imitation of Life (1959) - I adored All That Heaven Allows but somehow that never pushed me into a Sirk kick. A lot of people say this is even better.

Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962) - Among my most shameful blindspots. A classic of the French New Wave I have no excuse for not seeing.

The Conformist (1970) - Everything about this one suggests I should love it.

Wanda (1970) - I know this one got “rediscovered” in the past few years but I don’t know too much about it. I’ve heard Cassavetes comparisons?

Amarcord (1973) - Been a long time since I've watched any Fellini.

Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974) - This sounds like the type of film that is 100% up my alley but the length is the only reason I’ve never watched it.

Shoah (1985) - I’ve gotta start it sooner or later.

Tropical Malady (2004) - I've enjoyed the Weerasethakul I've seen, although perhaps unsurprisingly he can be a bit of a challenge to settle into. Optimistic I'm going to like this one.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Finally watched Journey to Italy and picked an odd time to do it: I just got married this weekend.

Congratulations. That's a really funny/untimely movie to watch at a time like that (for the most part).

I might finish my assignment later tonight.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Looking forward to Wait Until Dark so thanks, TrixRabbi. I needed a break from all the war and western movies on my list.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Wanda (1970) - I know this one got “rediscovered” in the past few years but I don’t know too much about it. I’ve heard Cassavetes comparisons?

"That's a real live bomb."

The Pride of the Yankees - Gary Cooper portrays Lou Gehrig with a noticeable uneasiness (even during the good times). He's a naive guy who has to contend with cynical newsmen and his anti-sports mother (who wants him to be an engineer rather than a baseball player). Later his mother gets into conflicts with his wife over decorating. So baseball is kind of a secondary thing to a lot of domestic and romance issues. And all of his accolades are barely mentioned (besides his games played streak).

There were a lot of dramatized moments which seem part and parcel for most biopics. I knew what was coming but the ending parts were still sad as the fragility of life and mortality take center stage. Pro athletes lives being cut short are a prime example of this.

Hesitation (151 completed):

#157 The Tall T - A Western with a good reputation. 11/8/23

#158 Running on Empty - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQKvtbD6Kw 11/8/23

new #159 Tetsuo: The Iron Man - It sounds like another interesting one. 11/15/23

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I haven't seen it, but since it's been on your list for just over a year now, Zogo you get Time of the Gypsies.

Wanda: The Cassavetes comparisons are apt, with Minnie and Moskowitz immediately coming to mind, but the rural road movie element and Loden's emphasis on quiet disconcert make this its own unique work. With Mr. Dennis we get someone who is simultaneously a bastard but also tragic in his own way -- pathetic in the truth meaning of the word -- while Wanda herself is a sharp mixture of clever and naive, making calculated decisions for herself to further involve herself in this criminal journey but also at times seemingly unaware of the full implications of what she's enlisting in. Is her aloofness an act? To some degree it seems as such, like towards the end when she gets out of trouble with a cop by leaning into her fraught "woe is me" image when she can't find her license, but also then genuinely asks for directions to the bank.

I just finished this minutes ago, so I will need to sit with it some more. But certainly an excellent film, sitting in the same space in my mind right now as movies like Stroszek and also Harlan County, USA.

My List:

They Shoot Pictures Don't They 2023 (556/1,000):

Children of Paradise (1945) - Also the film that has been on my personal watchlist for the longest!

Late Spring (1949) - Been a long time since I’ve sat down with Ozu. Maybe as I get older I’ll click with him more, as it is I more appreciated than really loved him when I watched some of his stuff in college.

Imitation of Life (1959) - I adored All That Heaven Allows but somehow that never pushed me into a Sirk kick. A lot of people say this is even better.

Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962) - Among my most shameful blindspots. A classic of the French New Wave I have no excuse for not seeing.

Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974) - This sounds like the type of film that is 100% up my alley but the length is the only reason I’ve never watched it.

Crash (1996) - The good Crash.

Tropical Malady (2004) - I've enjoyed the Weerasethakul I've seen, although perhaps unsurprisingly he can be a bit of a challenge to settle into. Optimistic I'm going to like this one.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Crash (1996) - The good Crash.

"Is there something here that interests you?"

Time of the Gypsies - It's a magical look at Yugoslavia and Italy. It's comedic despite the story featuring so many arguing families, health issues, money problems and failed marriage proposals. Emir Kusturica once again displays a high level of artistry. His films Underground and Black Cat, White Cat also bring out the flavors and spices of life that most modern anodyne films just don't have (regardless of genre).

I won't detail the plot but it's a delicate balancing act to adeptly show humor in the midst of tragedy.

Hesitation (152 completed):

#159 Tetsuo: The Iron Man - It sounds like another interesting one. 11/15/23

new #160 The Spider's Stratagem - A political mystery from Bernardo Bertolucci. 11/20/23

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 21, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

#159 Tetsuo: The Iron Man - It sounds like another interesting one. 11/15/23

I saw this quite awhile ago and have been wanting to rewatch it, could be fun to hear a review from a fresh perspective.

Watched A Streetcar Named Desire (1951):

After losing the family estate to an army of creditors, aging Southern belle Blanche DuBois (Vivien Leigh) has to slum it in New Orleans with her sister Stella (Kim Hunter) and her brother-in-law Stanley (Marlon Brando). It's a match made in Hell, as Blanche's demure manner is not only an attempt to cover up the truth about how far she's fallen, but well at odds with Stanley, who is an abusive lout on a good day. I've seen director Elia Kazan and Brando team up on the later On the Waterfront, but that one never really clicked with me. This one did. It's obviously very easy to focus on Brando's performance here, as he's absolutely magnetic. And, as the performance that launched his film career, it's arguably one of the most important and influential on-screen performances ever. Oddly enough, Brando would actually be the only one of the main four actors who did NOT take home the Oscar. But there's no shame in losing to Bogie. As good as Brando is, however, this is really Leigh's movie. Blanche is a complete nervous wreck, and it's a completely exhausting performance to watch (especially if you've ever dealt with a person who expresses their anxiety and trauma through endless prattling and fidgeting). But it's also extremely compelling, and her character arc is a total tragedy. This movie also has a lot of emotional punch even though this adaptation of Tennessee Williams play was softened by the censorship-heavy era. I think I actually saw a cut that restores a few minutes of trimmed footage, which doesn't totally honor the source material, but does restore some allusions to the racier elements. There are a few quick scenes in other locations to make it seem a little less obviously a stage play, but you really only need the apartment set. Gorgeously shot and superbly acted, this really holds up.

LIST OF SHAME:
15. Tokyo Story (1953) (added 07-29-22): I've never seen an Ozu film, and this is considered a masterpiece.
18. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) (added 08-31-22): The most iconic film directed by John Cassavetes, who I've thus far only seen on the other side of the camera.
19. True Stories (1986) (added 09-30-22): I've been a diehard Talking Heads fan for almost as long as I've followed pop music, but I've never seen this musical comedy, David Byrne's sole directorial credit for a feature film.
21. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) (added 04-03-23): A big influence on my favorite film, The Royal Tenenbaums.
24. Godzilla (1954) (added 07-29-23): Time to rectify having only seen the Roland Emmerich slop.
26. Night on Earth (1991) (added 08-20-23): The only Jarmusch I haven't seen (aside from the music docs).
27. The New World (2005) (added 09-01-23): The biggest gap in my Terrence Malick viewing.
28. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) (added 09-26-23): Universally considered one of silent film's greatest masterpieces.
29. Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957) (added 11-05-23): Can I really call myself a bad movie fan until I see this?
(and introducing...)
30. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) (added 11-26-23): Filling in some gaps regarding my Altman knowledge.

SHAME OVERCOME (20 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989); A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

"My friend, can your heart stand the shocking facts about grave robbers from outer space?"

Tetsuo: The Iron Man - This was like watching a music video of a man slowly being mutilated into a metallic monster. And it kept getting more impressive as things progressed.

I won't detail the plot but just imagine borrowing hallucinations from An Andalusian Dog (1929), images from The Fly (1986), zaniness from Forbidden Zone (1980), unrelenting chaos from The Firemen's Ball (1967) and surrealness from Eraserhead (1977). But nothing felt superfluous or overbearing in this strange mixture. It's a strong reminder that a film can be shot in B&W and 4:3 on lower quality film and still be a magnificent masterpiece. It's a must-see.

Free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ciBTxQWT_o

Hesitation (153 completed):

#160 The Spider's Stratagem - A political mystery from Bernardo Bertolucci. 11/20/23

new #161 An Actor's Revenge - This one gets glowing reviews from the critics but doesn't get mentioned that often. 11/27/23

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

I just added a Buñuel film to my own list, so it only seems fair.

Watched Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957)

I love a good bad movie, but I've never seen the grandaddy of them all. Ed Wood's most "beloved" film is a sci-fi/horror flick with a convoluted plot involving aliens who are trying to prevent humanity from creating a doomsday weapon by... resurrecting the dead? And the movie ends with the human protagonists triumphantly killing the alien messengers? Fittingly for a so-bad-it's-good movie, most sentences about Plan 9 are bound to end in question marks. Fifties sci-fi/horror is often too corny my tastes, so I was a little worried my distaste for the time period that would make the charms of this film wash over me. But it did not disappoint. I've seen Tim Burton's Ed Wood, so I knew to expect things like the infamous plane cockpit set and the Bela Lugosi appearance cobbled together with footage from an abandoned film and a stand-in covering his face with his cowl. But Wood's incompetence is quite comprehensive. You've got lousy actors reading worse dialogue, sometimes clearly right off the script. There are blatant continuity errors between shots. At least a third of the movie takes place in a "forest graveyard" set that has less depth from front to back than an average high school play. There's a jump cut from people walking through the trees to different people walking through the trees, and the camera doesn't move an inch. I had to rewind it several times in disbelief. It's a "classic" for a reason. Tons of fun.

LIST OF SHAME:
30. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) (added 11-26-23): Filling in some gaps regarding my Altman knowledge.
(and introducing...)
31. Belle de Jour (1967) (added 12-07-23): Perhaps a bit more of a conventional narrative than I'm used to from Buñuel.

SHAME OVERCOME (21 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989); A Streetcar Named Desire (1951); Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957)

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 16, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

"But this will be the first and last time that I will ever allow the Oxygen Destroyer to be used."

The Phantom of Liberty - This one explores absurdities found within cultures. Each vignette starts with a premise that's usually turned upside down. So any viewer relying on basic assumptions is going to be flummoxed repeatedly.

The film brings out the idea that laws, customs and taboos are arbitrary and temporary. This leads to a sense of relativism. Bunuel covered some of the same themes in his earlier films but each subsequent film became more explicit.

Bunuel had a knack for highlighting hypocrisies of the rich, the poor, the religious and the irreligious et al. If he had lived longer he probably would've kept ratcheting things up even more and ended up in the NC-17 range. The subject matter frequently reminded me of stuff found in Todd Solondz's films.

Also watched:

The Tall T - This one is based on a novelette by Elmore Leonard. It starts off as a comedy but does a dark genre shift. It reminded me of Die Hard in that respect. There's even a similarly smarmy character in both films. Anyway, three outlaws abduct a woman with a wealthy father and hold her for a $50K ransom. The film doesn't have tons of action and it doesn't go quite as far as Fargo does. But it still has dramatic moments and conniving villains.

It's a small cast but a very effective one. The protagonist uses psychology as a weapon rather than the usual firearms. In the end it's a commentary on both loneliness and greed.

Hesitation (155 completed):

#160 The Spider's Stratagem - A political mystery from Bernardo Bertolucci. 11/20/23

#161 An Actor's Revenge - This one gets glowing reviews from the critics but doesn't get mentioned that often. 11/27/23

Mr. Showbiz's Readers' Picks: The 100 Best Movies of All Time (97/100 completed):

new #25 Beavis and Butt-Head Do America - Despite being a fan of the TV show I never got around to seeing this one. 12/10/23

new #68 Twister - I'll like this if it's like Speed. 12/10/23

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Tall T sounds great, love Elmore Leonard. And I hear that's one of the few movies he liked, especially for early adaptations.

The only Elmore's I've read so far don't have movies, so I have yet to compare directly myself. I'm also interested in seeing the original 3:10 to Yuma.

Speaking of which, I will be back in action in this topic soon, with that pick from a while ago, also a western fittingly, Josey Wales.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I preferred The Tall T over the original 3:10 to Yuma. When I worked at a library he was one of those authors whose books were constantly flying off the shelves.

Another adaptation I liked was 52 Pick-Up. I keep forgetting to watch Mr. Majestyk.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! I loved that 52 Pick-Up movie too, really really cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zogo posted:

new #25 Beavis and Butt-Head Do America - Despite being a fan of the TV show I never got around to seeing this one. 12/10/23

Too good, Beavis and Butt-Head are like a fine wine. The recent movie is great too, and the revivals of the show.

I watched The Outlaw Josey Wales, good stuff! Been meaning to watch it for 20 years or so, the mystery of the backlog, no idea why it took me so long. But very cool, just a solid 70s slice of gritty yet fun Western adventure.

Clint is always on, and saying reckon a lot and squinting all intense is pretty cool. I like the bits of the humanity when finding other people etc, and the ol' over-the-top mythical wild west badass movie stuff. Not as legendary to me as the Leone movies, not that I would expect it to be, but it's an enjoyable medley of these Western movie styles and vibes for that era. I reckon.

I also watched Moonstruck, pretty cool, charming yarn, quality Cage, Cher is good, a laidback quirky flick.

Also loved Duck You Sucker which I saw the other day finally. And a shout-out to Goodfellas and Casino, had a cool rewatch of those, and now I'm a big fan of Casino which I wasn't so much before. Really well done.

Here's my list:

Atlantis (2001) - Still meaning to see some animated movies I missed.

Malcolm - 1986 is good, Australia bonus.

Patriot Games - Tom Clancy, Harrison Ford, Sean Bean. Maybe good.

Thomas Crown Affair (1999) - A 90s remake with attitude. Tony Hawk approved?

The Fabelmans - Not sure if this will grab me, yet looks good.

My Sassy Girl - burned a CD-R of this 20+ years ago. Also do people prefer the director's cut?

Son in Law - Perhaps Pauly Shore's most acclaimed film? Also starring Carla Gugino.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding - I hear this is one of the better movies in the wedding scene.

The African Queen - I hear this is cool.

Memories - anime, anthology, 90s, yep.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 17, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No update yet, but because I've got Godzilla on deck I'm hoping to do a quasi double bill and try to watch it and then go catch Minus One in the theater as the next flick I see. Got time off starting next week and hoping to work in lots of daytime theatergoing.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Heavy Metal, only film on your list I've seen is The African Queen, which I remember being pretty good though it's been a long time. Hope you enjoy!

Just finished Crash moments ago.

In the original novel, J.G. Ballard satirizes and deconstructs the western love affair with cars and the nullification of individual desire in modern society by writing a quasi-erotic work devoid of passion or warmth. Sex, in Ballard's Crash -- even when it is not disturbing and violent -- is mechanical, always deferring to clinical terminology in lieu of any euphemism and repeating them ad nauseum. The words "vagina" and "penis" almost seem to lose meaning as the action becomes increasingly detached from emotion and transforms fully into a machine-like production, as grotesque for its endless repetition as it is for its graphic gore.

Cronenberg's Crash captures this through the stoicism of its performers and alienating atmosphere. Even when the lighting is painterly and nude bodies are sprawled out on beds, the score and coldness of the actors removes any sense of titillation. It makes sex as offputting and uninviting as possible, at times it's like watching insects mate.

This is, of course, what Cronenberg has always done and Crash contains some of his strongest visual compositions in his entire body of work. Particularly that final shot.

Deborah Kara Unger is the standout performance here, perhaps because she's the only one who seems to retain any sense of humanity. Whereas Spader's Ballard gives himself over entirely to the fetish -- it's all any of these people can ever think about, they have no outside lives, it is all consuming -- Unger communicates a deep discomfort and sadness with the lifestyle, even as she is also drawn into it. In the final scene, she appears to begin crying. Spader says "Maybe the next one," implying her tears are because she couldn't achieve the death that is the ultimate endgame of the car crash fetish, but Unger's performance doesn't read that way. It seems to express the emptiness this fetish is attempting to fill. Is it fulfilling any true desire? Or is it simply an addiction far past the point of being pleasurable?

Still, the coldness of the film, however deliberate, leaves the audience at a remove. I have the same problem with the novel -- it becomes redundant at a certain point, no longer shocking and having made its point but merely suffering from its lack of character. Cronenberg's version does a better job at not outstaying its welcome but I still feel that way at times here. But I do think Unger provides some much needed emotion into this underworld, elevating it to a place of purpose.

My List:

They Shoot Pictures Don't They 2023 (558/1,000):

WR: Mysteries of the Organism (1971) - This looks extremely like my poo poo. (Added 12/17/2023)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

"Imagine a great dungeon in the shape of a cave."

Beavis and Butt-Head Do America - The familiar duo runs into a bind when their TV gets stolen. They keep stealing other TVs but accidentally break them. TV is of the utmost importance so they go on an adventure. They get mistaken for hitmen and then unknowingly receive a stolen biological weapon. So they're hounded by ATF agents and their never-ending cavity searches.

One thing I remember from the TV series is that both characters were always harassing the elderly people in their town. This film showcases that too. The whole thing reminded me of Dumb and Dumber (1994).

I liked that Bill Clinton made an appearance. So many films in recent years use a stand-in POTUS.

#161 An Actor's Revenge - This one gets glowing reviews from the critics but doesn't get mentioned that often. 11/27/23

new #162 The Naked Spur - Another Western with a good reputation. 12/20/23

Mr. Showbiz's Readers' Picks: The 100 Best Movies of All Time (98/100 completed):

#68 Twister - I'll like this if it's like Speed. 12/10/23

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

#68 Twister - I'll like this if it's like Speed. 12/10/23

I think I saw bits and pieces of this on the cable movie channels as a kid.

Watched Godzilla (1954)

"I barely escaped the atomic bomb in Nagasaki, and now this!"

This was a very timely assignment with Godzilla Minus One still in its theatrical run. I made a bit of a day of it by watching Godzilla in the morning before heading to see Minus One on the big screen. This isn't a review of both--although go see Minus One while its still playing if you are even marginally interested--but it did make for an interesting comparison. Much like my foray into Ed Wood with my last movie, I was mildly worried because '50s genre pictures sometimes leave me cold. This certainly didn't. It holds up extremely well and is pretty engaging. There's a little bit of the "this sci-fi monster picture is actually just scenes of scientists talking in rooms" vibe at times, sure. But it's paced appropriately with Godzilla's appearances starting early and increasing in intensity. Plus the talky bits are either fun logistical discussions about how to stop Godzilla's inexorable march to Tokyo or building the characters and interpersonal drama. I think it's in some ways darker thematically than Minus One, especially because it doesn't cop out on sacrifice at the end. The effects are obviously dated, but I found them pretty charming rather than comical. The black and white helps from letting it come across as too goofy, as well. That's important, because otherwise it could undermine the pervasive post-nuclear-weapon themes throughout. Yes, it's a guy in a rubber suit stomping miniatures, but it's also got meaningful conversations about the dangers of technology and the man's self-destructive nature. I'm still intimidated by how many movies there are in this sprawling franchise, but I'm also much more curious than I was.

LIST OF SHAME:
31. Belle de Jour (1967) (added 12-07-23): Perhaps a bit more of a conventional narrative than I'm used to from Buñuel.
(and introducing...)
32. The Iron Giant (1999) (added 12-21-23): Came out at an awkward time when I was "too old for cartoons" and I never caught up on it.

SHAME OVERCOME (22 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989); A Streetcar Named Desire (1951); Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957); Godzilla (1954)

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 23, 2024

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Happy to hear on the Godzilla thing! I also watched 54 again with a friend lately, and we saw Minus One naturally. I'll say, on the intimidated thing, the Heisei movies (Biollante from 1989 through Destoroyah in 95) you can jump right it. It's a reboot that started with Godzilla 84, though I actually think you can skip that one, or go back to it (not as cool for me). Biollante brought his best look and the vibe they carried with in the 90s.

And the 2000s ones you can watch any time, GMK and Final Wars are especially fun. If you haven't seen those.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

EDIT: UPDATED UPDATED LIST

The Great Escape - I tend to dig prison movies and already loved McQueen doing a similar thing in Papillion

The Conversation - I like Gene Hackman and capers and have seen snippets of this. It looks interesting and up my alley. FFC directed so that's a plus.

Paris, Texas - I know jack poo poo about this movie but it's @ 94% on RT and Harry Dean Stanton is a treat

Wait Until Dark - WATCHED

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 24, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm just gonna clean up my list and change two I'd actually forgotten I'd seen if that's OK

You get to pick for me then!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

You get to pick for me then!

You sure?

I was given Wait Until Dark and haven't written a review yet. I thought I had to post that first and then assign a movie?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

You sure?

I was given Wait Until Dark and haven't written a review yet. I thought I had to post that first and then assign a movie?

Ohh, I thought you were just posting a new list, I didn't know you had an outstanding assignment with a pending review. Carry on. (I watched Wait Until Dark a couple of years ago for one of the horror movie challenges, curious to read a fresh review.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

Ohh, I thought you were just posting a new list, I didn't know you had an outstanding assignment with a pending review. Carry on. (I watched Wait Until Dark a couple of years ago for one of the horror movie challenges, curious to read a fresh review.)

I had a review for it ready to go for the most part but the trouble was, if I posted it then, I'd need to pick a movie from HeavyMetal's list and I haven't actually seen a single one of them. So I guess now that you posted, watch:

Crescent Wrench posted:

32. The Iron Giant (1999) (added 12-21-23): Came out at an awkward time when I was "too old for cartoons" and I never caught up on it.

Wait Until Dark

This was a very good film but is dragged down for me by some plot holes, contrivances and some questionable acting.

The movie's origination as a play is very obvious throughout but the director does a very good job establishing the layout of the apartment and makes it work; evoking Hitchcock films like Rope, Rear WIndow and Dial M for Murder. A blind lady and her husband come into possession of a mcguffin doll that they do not realize happens to be stuffed with a large stash of heroin (I thought it was a clever touch that we have Heroin/Heroine with a female lead, even if wasn't intentional). A few con men run an elaborate scheme to retrieve it but Suzie and her husband have misplaced it. When she's alone, they take turns running lies, subterfuge and wild stories on her in an attempt to gain her trust and convince her to hand the doll over but, despite being blind, she proves to be more perceptive than they expected and she gradually becomes more and more suspicious, chips away at their bullshit and ultimately unravels their plan. Tensions escalate as the three crooks struggle to keep their act together, playing cat and mouse with a blind woman that culminates in a genuinely tense finale with a classic jump scare. Makes me want to see the play.

Alan Arkin is a revelation here. I saw his name in the opening credits but didn't recognize him on sight and, by the end, I'd forgotten he was in the movie. He's the true standout, steals every scene he's in and is kind of...ahead of his time I guess I'd say. His performance feels like it comes from a 70's film like Taxi Driver, Marathon Man or even something like Reservoir Dogs. He's loving fantastic in this.

The cast mostly delivers dialogue in that late 50's kind of "over expression" and heavily articulated loud speech; a holdover from stage acting. Audrey Hepburn is over acting here for me. RIchard Crenna is just like he is in every other movie I've seen him in (wooden) and the remainder of the cast ranges from decent (the husband), serviceable (the young girl) to bad (the 3rd goon). The story adds a lot of stuff that often seems unneeded and appears to only be there in order to confuse the viewer, but a few plot points DO have fairly clever "wtf?" set ups that actually do pay off.

It's rare for me to enjoy a movie with as many problems as this one but I did like it. Complaints (spoilered)

- The big one is that it's never made entirely clear WHY Suzie just won't give them back the loving doll once she finds it. Unless I missed something
- The elaborate hoax/con that the crooks run is needlessly complicated. Even though they need Suzie to tell them where the doll is, there are far easier ways to get that information and the gang is shown to not be above straight up murder from the outset; at least not the mastermind anyway. They could kill the husband at his studio and then ransack the house at their leisure if they wanted to, with arguably far less risk. They'd somehow need to subdue the young girl character is all.
- Suzie's "powers" of perception are all over the place. One minute she's Daredevil/Matt Murdock (knowing that one goon is wiping down fingerprints or others opening the blinds even though they're silent) and the next she's oblivious (failing to notice the rigged/unlocked door and being unable to locate smoke coming from a nearby ashtray).
- Why doesn't Suzie flee to the young girl's apartment upstairs when her phone line is cut and use their phone to call police or her husband?
- In one scene, the goons are pretending to be other characters but one guy goes to the trouble of using a disguise and prosthetics. Suzie is BLIND.
- The little girl character is just..weird. Throwing a random tantrum, coming and going at will and seemingly has no parents at home; or none that we're shown

- The photographer character husband character has a dark room in the apartment but is shown developing photos with a regular light, which not only wouldn't work but a RED light would have been easy and added far more atmosphere to later scenes.

There are more but those were the big ones I remember. Other set ups and reveals are more clever. A refrigerator, a rotary phone, a safe introduced early on and a pay phone all play roles that work well. Good movie overall and worth a watch but could stand for a remake I think. The movie Hush borrows heavily from this film's concept.

Weird fact: The play was remade with Quentin Tarantino playing Arkin's character, "Rote"

Whoa. Sorry that was so long

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 24, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, also I had a movie picked for me I'm set there, gonna watch The African Queen soon. And Alan Arkin is cool for sure.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

"Everybody has a limit."

Twister - This one easily could've been titled Twisters as the film is full of them. A few obsessive storm chasers are building new machines to better track how tornadoes work. Bill Harding (Bill Paxton) is stuck between this hectic world and his new career, new truck and new fiancee.

Things follow a predictable pattern as I've seen so many action films from this era. The character arc of Jo Harding (Helen Hunt) reminded me a lot of Ellie Arroway (Jodie Foster) in Contact. I felt like the goofy/amped up extended cast of storm chasers* messed with the tone and detracted from the gravity of the situation at times. But when the tornadoes were destroying whole towns I was like: https://y.yarn.co/b8b1852d-1682-42b6-8e9d-a2be7fd6f3da.mp4

*Big disaster films from the 1970s like The Towering Inferno weren't full of clowns running around.

A unique choice of music was made for the end credits as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyfOq6R6HcE

James Bond versus Godzilla (51/66 completed):

#162 The Naked Spur - Another Western with a good reputation. 12/20/23

new #163 Will Penny - I must be in a Western mood. 12/26/23

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (49/50 completed):

Mr. Showbiz's Readers' Picks: The 100 Best Movies of All Time (99/100 completed):

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks for the Ronin assignment. Looking forward to it.

Twister is not a good film and I remember seeing it in the theater. I laughed at it more than anything because it's so god damned goofy )especially the finale), relying on effects and set pieces over any real plot. Kind of like Independence Day for me in that way, which I think came out around the same time. They're both so over the top and struck me more as "look at these special effects!" over anything that I could really sink my teeth into. Both had their moments but are ultimately just cheesy popcorn films that both made a fortune IIRC.

We Hate Movies podcast did a good episode on it recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo, watch The Best of Everything, a film I've never heard of and have no idea how it's apparently a major cult film?

The Conformist blew me away, so much so I don't really know what to say about it. It's been a long time since I've watched anything that truly grabbed me from the jump and wouldn't let go the way it did. The photography is absolutely stunning, full of beautiful, engrossing and colorful imagery I wasn't braced for. It was a healthy reminder that I truly have not seen all of the great movies and there's still masterpieces waiting to be seen (ideally many are on my list already given their reputations).

Trintignant is amazing here as a coward cosplaying as a sociopath, which strikes at an inherent truth about fascism and fascists, I feel. There are the ruthless cold-blooded killers, and then the people like Marcello who wish they could be cold-blooded and affect those traits only when it's easy -- like manipulating his affectionate wife -- but reveal their weakness the moment the violence the movement calls for requires them to get their hands dirty. I.E. all those people who stormed the Capitol on January 6 and then began whining and crying when they faced actual consequences for their actions.

My List:

They Shoot Pictures Don't They 2023 (560/1,000):

WR: Mysteries of the Organism (1971) - This looks extremely like my poo poo. (Added 12/17/2023)

The Passenger (1975) - On paper I know they're very different, but I always used to mix this up in my head with The Conformist for some reason. (Added 12/27/2023)