Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I went down the IMDB 250 and took the first ten I hadn't seen entirely.

12 Angry Men - I read a story on this in school at some point so seeing the movie has never been a priority for me.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has also been put on the backburner.

Seven Samurai - I saw the magnificent seven a while back and avoid repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

Once Upon a Time in the West - I know absolutely nothing about this film.

Sunset Blvd. - The plot from what I gathered didn't seem to interest me. Is this similar to What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

North by Northwest - Once I've seen about five movies by a director I tend to put the rest of them at the bottom of my watch list.

Vertigo - I've seen a big chunk of this on TV but not from beginning to end.

Lawrence of Arabia - I watched a good portion of this movie when I was younger.
I've seen Doctor Zhivago and The Bridge on the River Kwai multiple times so I'd probably like this too.

Amélie - I've seen this one discussed frequently and also on many top lists but kind of forgot about seeing it.

WALL-E - I rarely watch any CGI movies these days. And I avoid anything that appears to be geared towards kids.

Jay Dub posted:

8) Or David Lynch for that matter.

A few others have listed it. I recommend Blue Velvet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Jay Dub posted:

2) Cidade de Deus: Just about everyone I went to film school with swore by City of God and overhyped it to the point where I simply wasn't interested anymore. It's one that I'm sure is worth watching, but has always been a really low priority.

drat beaten. Zogo you need to watch 12 Angry Men, it's a loving awesome movie. Follow it up with The Verdict if you enjoy it.

It's a great movie, so I'm picking it for you.

Stuff I've been putting off

The Virgin Spring
Aguirre wrath of God
Fitzcarraldo
The Conversation
Dog Day Afternoon
Five Easy Pieces
Chinatown
Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More

I have every intention on seeing all of these eventually, I just never really got around to it and need to see one of them other than they're great films.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 2, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

WHEN YOU REPORT ON YOUR MOST RECENT VIEWING... PLEASE ASSIGN A FILM FROM A PREVIOUS POSTER'S LIST FOR HIM/HER TO WATCH. :siren:
:siren: MAKE SURE THE POSTER TO WHOM YOU RECOMMEND A MOVIE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN ASSIGNED A FILM.

How is this going to work? After I view my film, hopefully tomorrow, I'll post a review and then recommend to the last person, what does the next person do? Everyone should then, theoretically, have a film recommended to them.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Zogo posted:

A few others have listed it. I recommend Blue Velvet.

Blue Velvet it is. Added it to the top of my Netflix queue.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

How is this going to work? After I view my film, hopefully tomorrow, I'll post a review and then recommend to the last person, what does the next person do? Everyone should then, theoretically, have a film recommended to them.

God my post is horribly and hastily worded. Calm down everyone! I'm assessing the situation and I'll get back to you in a sec.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

All right, here's a full history of the thread. Hopefully I won't have to do this again with the updated rules:

:argh: Did not pick a film
:siren: Was not given a film

thegloaming posted a list and didn’t pick for anyone.
The Machine posted a list and picked Goodfellas for thegloaming.
bad movie knight posted a list and picked Se7en for The Machine.
TonTon posted a list and picked Strangers on a Train for bad movie knight.
Skeesix posted a list and picked Wall-E for TonTon.
Sporadic posted a list and picked Rear Window for Skeesix.
Magic Hate Ball posted a list and picked The Seventh Seal for Sporadic.
FitForDanga posted a list and picked Jules et Jim for Magic Hate Ball.
Twin Cinema posted a list and hosed up picked Shrek for FitFortDanga.
ProfessorClumsy posted a list and picked Citizen Kane for Twin Cinema.
iastudent posted a list and picked Casblanca for ProfessorClumsy.
Honest Thief posted a list and picked Pan’s Labyrinth for iastudent.
the Bunt posted a list and picked E.T. for HonestThief.
Peaceful Anarchy posted a list and picked Lawrence of Arabia for the Bunt.
TheBigBudgetSequel posted a list and picked Last Tango in Paris for Peaceful Anarchy.
Bedevere posted a list and picked Night of the Hunter for TheBigBudgetSequel.
OneThousandMonkeys posted a list and picked a film for Bedevere.
InfiniteZero posted a list and picked Chinatown for OneThousandMonkeys.
:argh: HINDU THE BEAST GOD posted a list, but did not pick a film for a poster.
VorpalBunny posted a list and picked Rules of the Game for InfiniteZero.
Yoshifan823 posted a list and picked Singin’ In the Rain for VorpalBunny.
Kieselguhr Kid posted a list and picked Crimes and Misdemeanors for Yoshifan823.
Jeff Wiiver posted a list and picked Chinatown for Kieselguhr Kid.
Wilhelm Scream posted a list and picked Se7en for Jeff Wiiver.
sursumdeorsum posted a list and picked Tokyo Story for Wilhelm Scream.
Knoddus posted a list and picked Godfather for sursumdeorsum.
Jay Dub posted a list and picked Chungking Express for Knoddus.
Zogo posted a list and picked Blue Velvet for Jay Dub.
SneakySneaks posted a list and picked 12 Angry Men for Zogo.

Kieselguhr Kid, I’ll allow the Annie Hall for Crimes and Misdemeanors swap, but in the future, let's all try to keep picks to the poster's list.

OP's been updated. Sorry for :hitler:ing out here, folks!

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 2, 2010

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Hooray for edits!

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 2, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

FYI, I didn't pick Chungking Express for myself, but I'll gladly watch it again anyway.

My sperging has failed me.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The next poster picks another film for you from your list.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 2, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

This will all become straightened out with some more field testing. :)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
To be fair, this seems like a pretty awesome thread and I'm looking forward to working through my never-seens.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

To be fair, this seems like a pretty awesome thread and I'm looking forward to working through my never-seens.

I do too and I'm honestly amazed by the turnout. I don't expect everyone to come back for a review/more picks, but if we can keep a healthy group going, we're gonna see so much de-shamening!

Also this is the "Listen To Your Dad" edition.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Lets see what I haven't seen: pretty much anything before the seventies, and pretty much anything "classic." I probably watch 2 to three movies a week but tend to go for more recent films that catch my eye. I've also never taken a film class so I've probably missed out on all the mandatory hits. So in order to keep this list from looking like a film 101 list I'll post things that I've gotten close to watching but still haven't.

So here it is:

Citizen Kane: Yeah. Currently at number 21 on my Netflix Queue, after such gems as (the recent) The Day The Earth Stood Still and Blade. I'm not really trying.

North By Northwest: I watched Vertigo in like 8th grade and since then I've just never been interested enough in Hitchcock to try again. This, however looks quite exciting and I saw the rad opening titles on Youtube but I still haven't built up the courage to send it to number 1.

Rocky: I grew up in Philadelphia. I've run up the Art Museum steps. But I ain't never seen this movie.

Jaws: I was a squeamish little kid and refused to even watch this movie with my friends. 8 years later I still haven't seen it.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: Here's where I start actually feeling embarrassed. I just played 3 hours of Red Dead Redemption and I've watched next to no Westerns.

Taxi Driver: Last year I worked on getting through The Wire. Maybe this year it'll be Taxi Driver. Either way I haven't been feeling like watching anything "dark, gritty, violent" lately.

The Big Lebowski: I started watching. I cringed. I stopped watching cause I was sitting in front of my computer and alt tabbed and started playing Team Fortress.

Shindler's List: The Holocaust? I've already teared up to Life Is Beautiful, so I'm sorry if I'm not just jumping on this one.

Inland Empire: David Lynch's movies are tough, and I heard this is even more so. I had the disc from Netflix for about a month while watching tons of movies in my instant queue. I eventually returned it so I could get a move on on the last season of The Wire. Oh well, at least it's in my instant queue.

Blazing Saddles: I saw the stop animated Lego version and since then just haven't gotten around to seeing the real deal. Or most Mel Brooks for that matter.

The list could go on so much longer but thankfully the thread title says ten and I don't want to write out more awful excuses.

SneakySneaks posted:

Aguirre wrath of God

This will be your film to watch. It's good, ok!

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 2, 2010

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

OneThousandMonkeys, you didn't recommend a movie to Bedevere

Fixed and PM'd.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Fixed and PM'd.

Okay, everything should be in order then. HINDU THE BEAST GOD didn't post a pick, but since the next poster picked for the poster he was supposed to pick for, it all works out.

I think we can all understand the basic gist of what happens here. You pick for the previous poster, the next poster picks for you, and you get to pick when you either first post your list or when you finish watching a film.

Some snafus are bound to pop up but we'll handle them when they come. The main goal is to keep things moving, so if someone is missing a pick, give them one so that they don't have to wait.

Also when there's a dispute, just sort it out and move on. :)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I'm not sure who I'm supposed to pick for, so here's my list.
1. Back To The Future
Any of them. I'm not sure why, because I've had them on video forever. I guess I just never thought about watching them.
2. Pulp Fiction
Hated violent movies as a kid, hated Tarantino as an adult. 3. Highlander
I started it on TV, but then I had to leave and haven't gotten around to watching it.
4. Lethal Weapon
Same as BTTF.
5. Jaws
No excuse. I suck.
Edit.\/\/\/ Gotcha
FB, watch Schindlers List.

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 2, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Pick one for Fayez Butts.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bmk pm'd me a good suggestion that I'm going to implement:

bad movie knight posted:

Let's say I watch Strangers on a Train (watching it RIGHT NOW, actually). I post a write-up, recommend something to the previous poster and quote my original post, with whatever I just watched switched out for something else. I get a new assignment, the previous poster gets a recommendation and everyone's happy.

This way we keep our lists fresh and the next poster can choose to go for either one of the poster's original films or one that was added for a finished one.

also bmk you need to empty your inbox. :)

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

thegloaming posted:

also bmk you need to empty your inbox. :)
Man, I did this when FFD mentioned it earlier in the thread. I wonder if my PMs are broken.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

Man, I did this when FFD mentioned it earlier in the thread. I wonder if my PMs are broken.

Dunno. Glad you came to me with that suggestion. We'll see how everything turns out once the first person (probably you) reports back...

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fayez Butts posted:

Citizen Kane: Yeah. Currently at number 21 on my Netflix Queue, after such gems as (the recent) The Day The Earth Stood Still and Blade. I'm not really trying.

I realize you've already been recommended a movie, but when you get around to see this, I'd say the best way to watch Citizen Kane is to watch the movie, and then watch it again with Ebert's commentary. Not sure which DVD has the commentary, but it's required listening (imo).

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Beef Jerky Robot: Watch Pulp Fiction asap my man.

It's a Wonderful Life - Every Christmas I'm looked at like a half-wit as to how I could have possibly avoided seeing this movie. I guess it's always been made fun of as overly sappy so I've had a bad taste in my mouth about it.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this until it's the last film to complete on the top 250. I'm also just assuming it's a musical based on clips I've seen...it's a musical, right?

On the Waterfront - I know the speech, the plot outline, and have heard this is one of the great acting performances of all time, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - everybody on my Criticker list seems to love this movie, but I hadn't even heard of it until a couple of years ago. I'm ambivalent on Herzog, although I've only seen a handful of his movies. Some movies of his I love; others I despise.

The Graduate - I've seen the ending, just never seen the whole movie.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I thought it was only a song on the oldies station.

8 1/2 - Is this a musical or am I just thinking that because of the hellspawn Rob Marshall? Either way, I haven't seen it.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Arkane posted:

8 1/2 - Is this a musical or am I just thinking that because of the hellspawn Rob Marshall? Either way, I haven't seen it.
Not a musical but a great meditation on the confluence of life and art.

EDIT: AAAND since I just finished watching Strangers on a Train, Arkane gets 8 1/2.

Reaction to Strangers on a Train:

Strangers on a Train isn't quite on the level of Vertigo or Psycho, but it's still an entertaining, tightly wound thriller from which more than a few films have borrowed liberally (Throw Momma from the Train is the obvious, but the importance of luck and the tennis also seems to have influenced Match Point). What I appreciated most is Hitchcock's dark sense of humor -- this is a younger, more playful Hitchcock than the man who made those later masterpieces, and it shows in shots like this:

Yes, folks, that is a murder map, complete with attached front-door key. I could not stop laughing, and I'm sure Ol' Hitch would be right there with me, enjoying the delicious audacity of Bruno's gift to Guy. Also, there's a certain sort of surreal illogic at play in some of the dialogue, hinting at the police's naivete in dealing with such a diabolical plan. This won't make sense for virgins to the film, but toward the end much of the action centers on a lighter that Bruno plans to use to implicate Guy. His plan goes awry, and as he lays dying, Guy asks him to come clean and admit to police that he has the lighter. This is the dialogue exchange in all its brilliant glory:

quote:

Bruno: "(The lighter is) on the island, where you left it..."
Guy: "Chief, can't I just go through his pockets?"
Chief: "No, of course you can't. And besides, he says he doesn't have it."
:laffo:

That totally negates any reason Guy would have for asking to search him -- again, something I'm sure Hitchcock threw in with delight.

All in all, it's an enjoyable thriller, and the merry-go-round from Hell was a surprisingly adept piece of stunt work and choreography for a movie from this era.

So...I guess I need another movie.

bad movie knight posted:

The Machine: You get...Se7en. It's one of the best films about the evershifting concept of evil ever written, and has an absolutely gut-wrenching conclusion.

1. Persona: Everything about this film sounds fascinating. In the last year, I watched my first two Bergman films -- Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal -- and, like everyone else, recognized them as masterpieces. So why haven't I seen it? It's inexplicable. I've Netflixed it at least three times, and always returned it, not being "in the mood." In the mood for what? I don't mind subtitles, I like Bergman and everyone says it's incredible.

2. Casablanca: I was sick the week they showed this in film class. It was my Dad's favorite movie, and since he passed away recently, one would think I'd honor his memory by giving it a watch. One would be wrong. Always intend to see it, always forget to add it to my queue.

3. Berlin Alexanderplatz: It's sixteen hours long. I mean, what the gently caress? It would be my first Fassbinder film, and considering it's still shorter than the average season of American television, it shouldn't be this loving daunting...but it is.

4. Mean Streets: Once you've seen Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, GoodFellas, The Gangs of New York, After Hours and The Departed, why bother watching Mean Streets? No matter how many people tell me it's a flawed masterpiece, I've just never gathered up the desire to rent it.

5. Barry Lyndon or any Kubrick films made prior to 2001: A Space Odyssey: Same bullshit minor-masterpiece excuse. Kill me.

6. Any Hitchcock movie outside of Vertigo, Psycho and The Birds: Always meant to, haven't yet. Hmmm...well, despite my recommendation of 8 1/2 to Arkane, I still haven't seen any other Fellini films. I own La Dolce Vita, but there it sits, still in its plastic wrap a full two years after I got it as a Christmas gift.

7. Any movies made before 1950, with a few exceptions: I've seen Metropolis, The Wizard of Oz, A Trip to the Moon, The Great Train Robbery, some of the Universal monster movies, maybe a few others and assorted experimental shorts. I always promise myself I'm starting with recent history and working my way backwards, but I'm very myopic with a bias against the distant past when I'm front-loading my Netflix queue. This isn't really much of an excuse either, since I find time to watch a lot of third-rate thrillers and horror flicks.

8. Touch of Evil: We watched the brilliant opening shot in film class, but apparently Professor Hoity-Toity didn't think the rest of the film was as good. Keep meaning to finish it, never get around to finishing it.

9. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her, Week-End or A Woman is a Woman: I love the few Godard films I've seen, but I always end up re-watching Breathless, Contempt or Band of Outsiders instead of trying something new. It's horrible.

10. Inland Empire: I love Lynch, but I can't stay awake for this loving movie for the life of me. I've tried everything short of pinning my eyelids open and using artificial tears.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 2, 2010

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

bad movie knight posted:

7. Any movies made before 1950, with a few exceptions: I've seen Metropolis, The Wizard of Oz, A Trip to the Moon, The Great Train Robbery, maybe a few others and assorted experimental shorts. I always promise myself I'm starting with recent history and working my way backwards, but I'm very myopic with a bias against the distant past when I'm front-loading my Netflix queue. This isn't really much of an excuse either, since I find time to watch a lot of third-rate thrillers and horror flicks.
Any pre-50's movie? :smug:

I'll give you It Happened One Night since I think that's a great old movie for people who don't like old movies.

This is my list, I honestly left off a lot of stuff I think I won't like, like a couple Martin Scorsese flicks and the last 2 LOTR movies. But I'm pretty good on having seen all the old classics like Casablanca and King Kong and Godfather and those types.

1. For a few dollars more - saw a fistful of dollars, need to see good/bad/ugly, but figure should watch this first, just putting it off.

I generally don't like 50's movies which is largely why I've avoided these:
2. Harvey
3. Sunset Boulevard
4. Touch of Evil
5. Kind Hearts and Coronets

6. The Bicycle Thief - I think I've seen some of this actually, but not the whole thing

7. 8 1/2 - I'm not sure what this is about, just see it mentioned a lot

8. M - seen parts of it, which is why I haven't been motivated to watch the whole thing

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - not a huge Jimmy Stewart fan, but it's probably good

10. The Conversation - never got around to it, possibly because the title is boring.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Schweinhund, For a Few Dollars More is about to rock your world.

As for my list, I just criticker'd my PSIs for a list of Netflix Instant Watch movies; I got a pretty good sounding crop o' movies:

1. Fanny and Alexander: I have seen zero Bergman outside of Seventh Seal.

2. 8 1/2: I have seen zero Fellini, period.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. The Rules of the Game: Another Renoir, apparently. The only Renoir I've seen is The Crime of Monsieur Lange, which I hated, but I also saw it when I was 15 and hated everything that didn't have Bruce Campbell in it.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Paths of Glory: I don't know why I haven't watched this. I know early Kubrick is great; I loving love The Killing and Spartacus.

9. Brief Encounter: I have no idea what's up with this one, but David Lean is solid, so I'm game.

10. The Godfather: Part II: This is my deepest, darkest shame. I am a humongous Gordon Willis fan, but then again, who isn't?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

:golfclap:

The system works!

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Slvbarek, I'm torn between recommending Godfather Part II and 8 1/2. They are probably two of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. So...... eenie meenie meinie moe..... Part II, since you say it's your deepest darkest shame. I hope 81/2 is your second darkest, sir.

My list! I'm officially unemployed and a film student, so this is the perfect opportunity to enhance my education.

1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

2. Braveheart Just, I dunno, it's Mel Gibson?

3. It's A Wonderful Life Or really anything with Jimmy Stewart that isn't Harvey, Rear Window or The Man Who Knew Too Much. Just recently found out that I love Jimmy Stewart, and he's in so many good movies it's kind of overwhelming.

4. The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

5. The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

6. Rope or Vertigo I've seen enough Hitchcock that it would take up too much space to list the ones I have seen, but not enough that I can list all the ones I haven't so I'll just start with these two.

7. The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

8. The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

9. Lawrence of Arabia Guess I might as well jump on the bandwagon. This would be more a case of listening to my mother, as this is one of her favorites. I had no desire when I was a kid to sit around and watch a movie for three hours or however long this one is.

10. Annie Hall I say I hate Woody Allen, but I've only seen one (I think?) of his films. A friend of mine compared me to Annie Hall once, so I suppose I should watch to see if it was an insult or not.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cailin Rua, you must watch Lawrence of Arabia. You will thank me.

My shameful list:

I'm going to use internet popularity to gauge how ashamed I should feel, I'll work my way down the IMDB list.

12 Angry Men - I almost watched this recently on TCM, but chose not to for some reason.

Once Upon a Time in the West - I love Leone, so there is absolutely no good reason why I haven't seen this yet.

Spirited Away - I must subconsciously avoid anime, because I've seen very few even though I have no outward dislike for them.

Das Boot - this is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - This is one pretty far up on my Netflix queue already.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - No idea why I haven't seen this one, especially considering how much I love Lawrence of Arabia.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

All About Eve - Ditto.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

caiman posted:

Cailin Rua, you must watch Lawrence of Arabia. You will thank me.

My shameful list:

I'm going to use internet popularity to gauge how ashamed I should feel, I'll work my way down the IMDB list.

12 Angry Men - I almost watched this recently on TCM, but chose not to for some reason.

Once Upon a Time in the West - I love Leone, so there is absolutely no good reason why I haven't seen this yet.

Spirited Away - I must subconsciously avoid anime, because I've seen very few even though I have no outward dislike for them.

Das Boot - this is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - This is one pretty far up on my Netflix queue already.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - No idea why I haven't seen this one, especially considering how much I love Lawrence of Arabia.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

All About Eve - Ditto.

Go watch 12 Angry Men because it is awesome, and most of the other movies are really long or I haven't seen. And hell, I'll put some of them on my list. Honestly, I have no reason that I haven't seen these movies other than, I'm busy doing other stuff or watching other movies.

1. City Lights
2. Cinema paradiso
3. All About Eve
4. Rebecca
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
6. It Happened One Night
7. The Best Years of Our Lives
8. The Grapes of Wrath
9. Viridiana
10. Le Samourai

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Arturo Ui you get City Lights because it's the bomb diggity and like under an hour and half so you got no excuse.

MINE:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Any Wong Kar-Wai No excuse.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Black Orpheus No excuse.

La Dolce Vita Loved 8 1/2, was all set to watch this, then I watched and hated La Strada so I gave up.

The Grand Illusion I even own the fucker and I haven't watched it yet.

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

Au Hazard Balthazar Another I own that I haven't gotten to, but like when are you in the mood for a movie like this

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

penismightier posted:

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.
You couldn't be more incorrect. Really man.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I'm sure it's great, Scorcese's my boy. It just looks dopey.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

This is really nothing like any other musicals and it's great.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

You couldn't be more incorrect. Really man.

To be fair, I think it lost some of the charm of Infernal Affairs with its star-studded cast. Not necessarily saying the original is better; I didn't really care for either of them.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Speaking of Cinema Paradiso, I was really really disappointed with it when I finally sat down and watched it. It was just a cute movie that I mostly forgot within weeks, like hundreds of other movies. It wasn't bad in any sense, but I fail to see what's special about it at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I gotta say I really intensely disliked Cinema Paradiso and I don't really remember why.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm not that crazy about it either. My theory about its popularity is that it's a foreign film that's easy to understand and pushes a lot of simple emotional buttons. It's a movie that gives the rubes a chance to say "see, I DO like foreign films, just not the boring pretentious ones!"

I haven't seen Life is Beautiful, but I suspect that's the same scenario.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I quite liked it, it's funny and charming, and the village remind me of my father's hometown

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I loved the hell out of that movie, but I can see where some would say that it was overly silly and/or simplistic. In my opinion, though, it strikes the perfect tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original Name
May 17, 2005
Creative?

penismightier posted:

Au Hazard Balthazar Another I own that I haven't gotten to, but like when are you in the mood for a movie like this

penismightier, you need to get in the mood for it now!

01. The Insider - I really enjoy Heat and Collateral by Michael Mann, and I think it's time I finally see this one.

02. The Fisher King - I've seen the majority of Terry Gilliam's movies but this one slipped under the radar.

03. Bringing Out the Dead - Scorsese is a pretty cool director and back in the days before Netflix I would walk by this movie at the rental store, read its back, put it down and rent something else, but no longer!

04. Badlands - I have The Thin Red Line, and I figure it's time to check out one of Terrence Malick's older movies.

05. Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon, Spartacus, 2001 or Lolita - I've seen Kubrick's most popular movies but never these. Barry Lyndon seems to popular but I don't know what it's about, all I know is Paths of Glory is an antiwar movie, Spartacus leads a slave uprising and a malevolent computer in 2001 dislikes Dave.

06. Reservoir Dogs - In all honesty I think Tarantino sucks. I think Pulp Fiction is crazy overrated, his Jewish revenge flick was decent, Kill Bill, Vol. 1 never sparked my interest, and his contribution to Grindhouse was drawn out with lame conversations. I haven't seen this but I hear it's good and I'm willing to check it out.

07. Something by Roman Polanski other than The Pianist, Macbeth or Chinatown.

08. Blade Runner - I like a lot of movies by Ridley Scott and could probably list half a dozen easily. I never have seen Blade Runner, though, which I think is supposed to be his best.

09. Something by Alfred Hitchcock other than Vertigo, The Birds or Psycho. I feel like I'm missing out on so many film classics and I see people asking about The Rear Window and North by Northwest, and I get the feeling his movies have a universal appeal.

10. Something by Roger Altman other than M*A*S*H, Nashville or A Prairie Home Companion. I saw Nashville recently at some event put on by The Alamo Drafthouse and I'm curious what else he has done that would be worth watching.