Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Neotpravlennoye pismo My top rated film on Criticker.
I've never heard of this before and all of a sudden it's at 100 on my Criticker list. I suspect Kyle Loomis and FitFortDanga are responsible.

Still working on M. I really need to get Instant. Glad you liked The New World, I never expected it to be what it really was.

*edit*
I went and hosed up and it's a new page. Here's Peaceful Anarchy's post:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

SneakySneaks, you get to go watch Amelie.

Watched the extended cut of The New World and while it was long it was absolutely everything I would have hoped it would be. The images are stunning from start to finish and the story, while slow, is a very lyrical examination of love and human relationships. It's a real shame Malick has only made 4 films because he's got some serious talent.

Updated list:
The Decalogue: I know I'll love this, I've seen the first 4 episodes, but I want to watch it all in a relatively short timespan and keep putting it off.

Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those three are the only films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

Neotpravlennoye pismo My top rated film on Criticker.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

A Passage to India I love the three Lean epics I've seen, Lawrence, Bridge and Zhivago, but this one I've just never bothered to watch for no good reason other than it's almost 3 hours.

Yi-Yi All I know about this is that it's one of the highest regarded films of the past 10 years, it's Chinese and it's 3 hours long.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Peaceful Anarchy I command thee to finish off The Decalogue. I chose that for two reasons: One, I'm familiar with it, having seen #10 (and only that!), and two, because it's the only thing on your list I'm familiar with. :gonk:

Only six more hours, you can do it!

drat, No Wave, good choice with The 400 Blows. I've removed it from my list and re-added Seven Samurai. What a joy to watch! The cinematography is amazing. So many shots of people just walking down a street, but it's so well done. I enjoyed the ending, and I think it mirrors the movie quite nicely. Not much else I can say, other than holy crap, fantastic. I'll have to check out the rest of Truffaut's Antoine-films. Good story told excellently.

Here's this thing:

The Machine posted:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
If I have seen this film in it's entirety, I don't remember really anything about it. It's beyond shameful that I haven't seen it... it's pathetic. :gonk:

2. Blue Velvet
The only Lynch I've seen is Dune, which I really enjoyed. It's shameful I haven't seen this (hey that's what this thread is for!).

3. Chinatown
I've only seen two Polanski films (The Ninth Gate and The Pianist), so I guess you could count Rosemary's Baby here, too. Just haven't gotten around to them yet.

4. Amelie
I guess I'm just bad with French films? At least this one isn't even ten years old yet. It's been towards the top of my Netflix queue for awhile.

5. Once Upon a Time in the West/America
I'll count these under the same number because I have the same reason for both: I love Leone, but I haven't gotten around to 'em yet.

6. Spartacus
I love Kubrick, and I even love Showtimes' Spartacus: Blood and Sand, so the fact I haven't seen THIS is just... dare I say, shameful?

7. Rear Window
I haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock, but this is the highest on IMDB's list and I haven't seen it, so why not start there?

8. It's a Wonderful Life
No loving clue. I'll just say I never watched it because nothing can top Elf and A Christmas Story as my favorite Xmas movies, heh.

9. American History X
I know about bitches bitin' curbs, do I really need to watch it? (Yes, tell me to)

10. Seven Samurai
What can I say? I love the Kurosawa films I've already seen. I suppose the 200+ minute length has kept me from sitting down to it, though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Glad you liked The New World, I never expected it to be what it really was.

Plot wise I did expect something a little different, but in terms of mood and aesthetic it's spot on with I'd expect from Malick.

The Machine posted:

Peaceful Anarchy I command thee to finish off The Decalogue. I chose that for two reasons: One, I'm familiar with it, having seen #10 (and only that!), and two, because it's the only thing on your list I'm familiar with. :gonk:

Welp, I guess my streak of watching one off my list each day is over. I'll probably watch two episodes a day and be done by Friday.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

The Machine, I know someone will convince you to watch Raiders sooner or later, so I recommend you go watch Amelie. It's a fun film.

Here's mine:

Philadelphia - Tried to rent this a few years ago, back when people actually rented movies from video stores. Accidentally wound up with The Philadelphia Story.

Blade Runner - Something about my boss constantly saying this is the greatest movie of all time really turns me off toward it.

Stand By Me - Some kids going to see a dead body? Really?

Schindler's List - I always put off watching movies I know will be depressing as hell.

Memento - No reason. I loved the short story it was based on.

Ben Hur - 212 minutes is a big investment.

Heat - Honestly don't even know what this is about. How's that for shameful?

The Departed - Saw this on St. Patrick's Day, actually. Was too drunk to remember anything besides the ending.

Aliens - Wasn't that into the first one.

Metropolis - I can't imagine enjoying a film that's over 80 years old.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

TequilaJesus, Metropolis may surprise you. Make sure you grab the Kino International version, it's the most complete that's been publicly released so far.

Just finished watching This is Spinal Tap and I'll say, yeah, it's still pretty drat relevant today. Just about every facet of rock and roll you can think of is lumped in, from the personalities of the musicians to the music to internal band politics. It presses on all those buttons and more with a steamroller.

Needless to say, I lost my poo poo at the revealing of the "monument" during their Stonehenge number.

Updated list:

iastudent posted:

1) Koyaanisqatsi - Been meaning to see it, sounds gorgeous but every time I've considered renting it my short attention span directs me somewhere else.

2) Baraka - See #1. It sounds like it'd be logical to watch this as a followup to Koyaanisqatsi, I dunno.

3) Black Robe - Seen this on the shelf a couple times, most information I've seen on it compares it to Dances with Wolves with a more objectionable protagonist. Curious to see if it follows the same themes and stuff considering it came out a year after.

4) Hard Boiled - Never seen a John Woo film other than Face/Off and Windtalkers. Everyone I've seen talk about this flim has described it as "shootout perfection".

5) Hoosiers - I do have a soft spot for college basketball and Gene Hackman, but it kind of sounds like the definition setter for "inspirational sports film". Wouldn't mind seeing it though if the performances are spot-on.

6) Easy Rider - It's a crime I've never seen anything Dennis Hopper did before the 80's.

7) Mr. Smith goes to Washington - Only other Jimmy Stewart movie I can think of from around the same time as It's a Wonderful Life.

8) Logan's Run - Sounds like it'd be cheesy but enjoyable '70s sci-fi. Also, a joke from the Simpsons based on this movie befuddled me for the longest time.

9) Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - I forgot entirely about this one until Twin Cinema put Holy Grail in his list. Seen that one but not this yet.

10) Cool Hand Luke - My knowledge of this film only extends as far as its classic opening line.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 7, 2010

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I haven't seen Koyaanisqatsi either, but I'm waiting to either see it in theaters or on Blu-Ray (eta: it has yet to come out on Blu-Ray and plays very intermittently in theaters). I saw Baraka for the first time on Blu-Ray and that was quite an enjoyable experience. I watched the opening scene of Koyaanisqatsi on Youtube (the whole movie is on there, put up by MGM), and I was enthralled by it, but I decided to not go any further with it so as to let the first viewing of the movie be the way it was intended to be viewed.

If you've seen the Planet Earth miniseries, you know what I'm talking about; people should be barred from ever watching that in standard definition.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 7, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Is this your first Bresson? This was kind of his thing. It takes some getting used to, but after you do you can't imagine it any other way.

I saw Pickpocket a few years ago and didn't love it, partially because of that. I saw Diary of a Country Priest back in high school and loved it, so I guess my tastes have just changed. I have his Joan of Arc sitting on my to-watch pile.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

penismightier posted:

I saw Pickpocket a few years ago and didn't love it, partially because of that. I saw Diary of a Country Priest back in high school and loved it, so I guess my tastes have just changed. I have his Joan of Arc sitting on my to-watch pile.

I was kind of disappointed in Pickpocket the first time around, though I still liked it, but the second time I loving loved it. May benefit from giving it another watch.

Action Andy
Feb 5, 2007

Out From Animals
I've seen most of the classics here that most of you are missing out but I have got a HUGE pile of DVDs sitting around that I haven't had time to get through (I have a habit of buying them and never getting around to watching them). Could you guys let me know what I should get onto first?

Volver
Training Day
My Neighbours the Yamamdas
Billy Liar
Brotherhood Of The Wolf
Rabbit-Proof Fence
3-10 To Yuma
A Face In The Crowd
Auntie Mame
Black Moon
Dead Man's Shoes
Down by Law
Foreign Correspondent
If
Kind Hearts And Coronets
Last Night
Law Abiding Citizen
Less Than Zero
Raging Bull
Sleuth
Snow Angels
The Big Chill
The Great Dictator
The Informers
The Proposition
The Wrong Man
Waking Life
War, Inc
Entre Les Murs
Den Brysomme Mannen
The Edukators

(my god, I didn't realise it was so many. I'm not going to buy anything for a while...)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

I find his style works better in some films than others, and Joan of Arc is probably where it works best. It's my favourite of his films, but the fact that it was one of the last ones I saw and knew what to expect may have played a role in that. I should rewatch some of the first ones I watched and see how I feel about them now.

Action Andy posted:

Kind Hearts And Coronets

Since you're not following the thread anyway I'm going to tell you that this is what you need to watch next.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
iastudent, I choose Hoosiers.

I just finished watching The Godfather: Part II, and it was one of the few movies where I actually wish the run time was longer. I think the whole movie was highlighted with the relationship between Fredo and Michael. A poster in this thread told me that if I loved Dog Day Afternoon, then I need to see this film because of the interaction between Cazale/Pacino. I agree. It's actually surprising, at least to me, that with a movie filled with the best actors cinema has ever seen -- John Cazale, to me, stands out as the best performance.

I have made two changes to my list. I switched the Woody Allen film to Manhattan, and I switched the Kurosawa film to Ran. I have been reading through the TSPDT list of 1000 movies, and these seem to be higher priority films to watch.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. The Godfather: Part II:
2. Singin' in the Rain: I have yet to watch a musical I have enjoyed, yet I continually read about the greatness of this film. I have not had any interest in watching it, but it seems like I should.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
4. Ran: I have yet to watch a Kurosawa film I disliked.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan: This appears like it's considered Allen's second best work. I loved Annie Hall, so my assumption is that I would love this.

6. Do the Right Thing: I have seen a few Spike Lee films, and I have been constantly underwhelmed. I just never got the amount of praise the 25th Hour got, when I felt it was a decent movie with an embarrassing monologue by Ed Norton in the middle.

7. Rear Window: I am only avoiding this because of the Simpsons episode. I have seen that episode so many times, that I feel like the film would be similar. I know that's a stupid way of looking at things, but oh well.

8. The Shawshank Redemption: There has been a copy of this movie in my household since I was a child. I don't know why I haven't watched this.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West: Again, the run time is keeping me away. I would put the Man with No Name trilogy in my top-20 films of all-time, so I would assume that this would also be up there.

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back: I get a lot of poo poo about this from my friends. I saw Episodes IV and VI when I was a kid, around the time the remastered versions were being released. While I have enough memories of IV that a second viewing wouldn't be necessary (also because I catch parts of it while flipping through the channels from time to time), I forget large parts of VI. Anyways, I used to try sitting through V as a kid because my dad, and my uncles, would always tell me this was the best of the series. I never watched past the ice planet part, because I'd always get bored.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Twin Cinema, as a segue to the film that was chosen for me, I choose Once Upon a Time in the West for you. Runtime isn't much of an issue as all concepts of space and time will be forgotten when the main female character is on the screen. You already love Leone, so not much needs to be said.

Per the recommendation for me, I watched 8 1/2, and I liked it, but didn't love it. The structure turned me off a bit, although I understood what he was doing (memories versus reality versus dreams). It seemed like a project someone would come up with at 3am the morning before the assignment was due...and it was pretty much that. And for something dreamed up at the last minute, it was done incredibly well & the characters/acting/sets were engrossing (especially the 'harem' dream scene). It just irked me a bit that he was sort of taking a creative shortcut. I also think that much of the movie was done on the fly, which didn't take away from the movie (quite the opposite), but probably contributed a bit to the (purposefully) disjointed structure.

It was also a little too 'meta' for my tastes (in the same way as Adaptation by Kaufman). When you want to pause the movie and read up about the guy on Wikipedia before continuing, the film is too meta (imo).

I'm cognizant that the movie is widely acclaimed so I'm a bit disappointed in my not liking it....perhaps I need to see more Fellini then come back to this. I certainly wouldn't mind watching any movie with Cardinale a second time :monocle:

Updated list

Arkane posted:

It's a Wonderful Life - Every Christmas I'm looked at like a half-wit as to how I could have possibly avoided seeing this movie. I guess it's always been made fun of as overly sappy so I've had a bad taste in my mouth about it.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this until it's the last film to complete on the top 250. I'm also just assuming it's a musical based on clips I've seen...it's a musical, right?

On the Waterfront - I know the speech, the plot outline, and have heard this is one of the great acting performances of all time, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - everybody on my Criticker list seems to love this movie, but I hadn't even heard of it until a couple of years ago. I'm ambivalent on Herzog, although I've only seen a handful of his movies. Some movies of his I love; others I despise.

The Graduate - I've seen the ending, just never seen the whole movie.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I thought it was only a song on the oldies station.

8 1/2 - Is this a musical or am I just thinking that because of the hellspawn Rob Marshall? Either way, I haven't seen it.

A Fellini movie not named 8 1/2 - I can tell watching 8 1/2 that I'll like his movies, so pick one!

Ed Wood - Burton only intermittently entertains me with his movies, but I'd like to see what most consider his best film to give him another chance.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 7, 2010

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Arkane should watch Ed Wood since it's pretty much the only Tim Burton film I like, and I like it a lot, so if you find him even intermittently entertaining then maybe you'll love it.

SneakySneaks posted:

For Noxville watch Come and See, I've been meaning to see it too and will watch it if you like it.

Yeah, I was certainly right that it'd be depressing as gently caress, I don't know as I've seen another film ith an atmospheres as consistently oppressive as this one. It makes it's points pretty bluntly but I guess subtlety isn't really in order anyway when you're dealing with atrocity. Great film, excellent direction but it'll likely be harder to spur myself to ever rewatch it that it was to watch it in the first place.

Revised list:

Breathless - I've seen hardly anything from the new wave because I just never felt the compulsion to, and have seen nothing at all by Godard and I guess this is the place to start.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Barry Lyndon - From The Killing through to Eyes Wide Shut this is the only Kubrick film I haven't seen because I've never been big on period films and I thought it might be best to wait for the Blu Ray anyway.

Casablanca - Literally no idea why I've never watched this, perhaps it's just so well-known that it isn't a case where I've decided to go and seek it out.

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

- I have a strong disinclination toward self-indulgence.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

Come and See - Probably depressing as gently caress.
Das Boot - Very long and I've never been impressed with the director's Hollywood work but then I've repeatedly been told it was great.

Bicycle Theives - Same as Rules of the Game, really.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Seems like it'd be right up my street and it's had an influence on films and directors that I love. And a great Simpsons episode. Like Casablanca it's another case of me not feeling a need to seek out American films from a popular period.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Noxville, go watch Das Boot, but make sure you're in the mood beforehand. So much depends on your visceral reaction, so turn off the lights and get serious, stat!

Just finished Goodfellas. I'm so glad I went in cold; I'm amazed I didn't recognize more scenes from pop culture. What a ride. At first it felt a bit like an Allen film, along the lines of Radio Days or Manhattan. That was when the fun was still in full swing; I felt Henry's joy for the gangster life in every single frame. Then, when things got sour, I came to the same realizations he did. I gotta hand it to Scorsese and Liotta for pulling off such a relatable character arc. And the whole cast for bringing that world, in all its wonder, joy, excess and greed to life.

It was a refreshing take on the genre, and it still paid respect to the classics (one/two of which I still need to see).

thegloaming posted:

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. The Godfather
The whole trilogy, for that matter. This film falls under the "I already saw all the famous scenes parodied on the Simpsons so I haven't bothered to watch it" category. I'm also convinced that it won't be as good as everyone hypes it up to be, and I see no need in being disappointed. I was a loving film major and I avoided this film. Never even seen the beginning. I think I saw the very end on TV once.

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Goodfellas
3. Breathless
I thought I was more of Godard-person than a Truffaut-person until I saw The 400 Blows. Everyone gushes over this one, so I guess Jean-Luc has another chance to win me over. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fickle with French New Wave films because none of them have really blown me away. Could this be different?

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. 12 Angry Men
I think I saw this when I was 4. Nevertheless, I've yet to see it since I've developed basic analytical skills. I know the premise but I'm clueless about specific scenes or characters. It's been floating around my Netflix queue and my various "check this out" lists, but it's never piqued my curiosity. Someone convince me that this old movie is great!

6. Casablanca
I've read essays that break this film apart scene by scene, and I've seen countless parodies. Why should I even bother seeing it now? I don't feel like I would gain anything from watching this, other than the smug satisfaction that I saw yet another "important movie."

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

8. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
I haven't seen a lot of great westerns, but this is probably the biggest offender. I remember watching the great opening credits sequence, then realizing how long the movie was and shutting it off because I couldn't make the commitment. Having only seen classic westerns from the 50s and earlier and modern westerns from the 90s and later, I'm very interested to see how Leone plays with the genre. I've tried to have "western marathons" and this has always been high on the list, but they've never panned out.

9. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
I don't know why I never heard about this in film school. Come to think of it, Herzog has always been an enigma to me. I've only seen Fitzcarraldo and I've wanted to see his other films. I guess I just assume this one will be a boring but beautiful European "thinking" film and I haven't been in that mindset in a while.

10. The Incredibles
Friends always recommend this to me. I've seen bits and pieces from when I worked at a movie theater. I'm in my early twenties and I get the feeling that this film is best enjoyed by people either slightly younger or slightly older. Then again, it's also Pixar, so what am I waiting for?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Okay, finally got around to watching Cinema Paradiso. I really was expecting to be underwhelmed, but it was beautiful. The imagery was gorgeous and the story itself just clicked with me for some reason. The most effective part was the emotions it stirred up in me, I couldn't watch it without trying to relate or reminisce. And the montage is stunning without being corny.

The Gloaming, I'm torn, you have so many good ones. It's a toss up between Aguirre and The Godfather, but I choose The Godfather for you. Also, watch Part II if you can also, it's the better movie imo

Anyway, revised list:

1.The Night of the Hunter - I really don't know why I haven't seen this yet, it appears to have everything I love in a movie, but I guess I've heard so much about it over the years I already "know" it.

2.8 1/2 - It's embarassing, I've just never gotten around to it.

3.The Wild Bunch - I've seen the very opening and bits and pieces of it on TV, all of it's been interesting though

4.Ikiru - I wish I had more Kurosawa under my belt, and this one's always sounded interesting to me

5.Blow-Up - again, probably haven't seen it because I know so much about it already

6.Cinema Paradiso - I tried finding it a few years ago, failed, and gave up. I haven't sought it out in a long time

7.Paris, Texas - I've just been underexposed to this movie and hadn't really heard much about it

8.Point Blank - Again, underexposure... a friend saw it and loved it a few months ago and it's been bugging me since

9.Mystic River - The actors intrigued me but nothing I heard about the story did it for me, plus I heard a lot of lukewarm reviews

10.Ghandi - Sorry, Ben Kingsley

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 8, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

The Gloaming, I'm torn, you have so many good ones. It's a toss up between Aguirre and The Godfather, but I choose The Godfather for you. Also, watch Part II if you can also, it's the better movie imo

Kinda wish you went with Aguirre, but at least now I'll finally get rid of this huge burden of shame. Not sure yet if I want to see both consecutively; I guess I'll see how I feel with Part 1.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

thegloaming posted:

Kinda wish you went with Aguirre, but at least now I'll finally get rid of this huge burden of shame. Not sure yet if I want to see both consecutively; I guess I'll see how I feel with Part 1.

It's better to get this one out of the way, plus if the next one picked for you isn't Aguirre I'll eat my hat

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

LesterGroans posted:

It's better to get this one out of the way, plus if the next one picked for you isn't Aguirre I'll eat my hat
"LesterGroans Eats His Hat," a film by Les Blank.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

bad movie knight posted:

"LesterGroans Eats His Hat," a film by Les Blank.

I hope whoever recommends thegloaming's next movie reads that post and picks something else.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I hope whoever recommends thegloaming's next movie reads that post and picks something else.
Now we just gotta dig up Les Blank's corpse.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

bad movie knight posted:

Now we just gotta dig up Les Blank's corpse.

Mod, requesting a name change to LesterBlanks...also, I'll need a hat. Preferably a delicious one.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

LesterGroans posted:

Mod, requesting a name change to LesterBlanks...also, I'll need a hat. Preferably a delicious one.
I would suggest you get your order in for a hat-shaped cake.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

bad movie knight posted:

I would suggest you get your order in for a hat-shaped cake.

I'm sure GBS can whip up a meathat of some kind.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I'll never see Aguirre at this rate! :argh:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

I'll never see Aguirre at this rate! :argh:

Actually, you could watch Aguirre right now and we all win. You watch a great movie and since it won't be on your next list we all get to see LesterGroans eat a hat.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Actually, you could watch Aguirre right now and we all win. You watch a great movie and since it won't be on your next list we all get to see LesterGroans eat a hat.

Yes, I should punish him for making me watch THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

Yes, I should punish him for making me watch THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME.

Pretty sure he's making you watch The Godfather, not Casablanca, so he didn't even pick the greatest movie on your list :colbert:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Give in to the pressure.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Pretty sure he's making you watch The Godfather, not The 400 Blows, so he didn't even pick the greatest movie on your list :colbert:
Small typo.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Small typo.

Actually I've already seen The 400 Blows :smug:

And it's times like this I wish I had more Netflix slots

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

thegloaming posted:

Actually I've already seen The 400 Blows :smug:

And it's times like this I wish I had more Netflix slots
Funny: Netflix wishes you had more slots too. Time for an upgrade?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

Funny: Netflix wishes you had more slots too. Time for an upgrade?

Time for a job. :ohdear:

I'm on the household's plan right now and I get a slot for free.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 8, 2010

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
My internet has been too slow for me to get on watching Amelie and it's making me wish I lived closer to a distro center.

These 1-day waits in between DVDs is maddening, I tell you! :argh:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

bad movie knight posted:

Funny: Netflix wishes you had more slots too.

Netflix sounds like a dirty old man and I'm glad* I don't have it

*am not glad

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Netflix sent me a disc of Mean Streets that looked like somebody had ran sandpaper over it, so I'm awaiting a replacement copy. Hopefully I'll get to see this one by the end of the week.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I want to join in on the fun but I haven't seen any of Lester's so I can't recommend one :(

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

LesterGroans posted:

Netflix sounds like a dirty old man and I'm glad* I don't have it

*am not glad
Netflix is a dirty old man. In fact, just yesterday Netflix predicted I'd give the candy in its front pocket five stars.

I only gave it one because it spat at me. :(

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

bananasinpajamas posted:

I want to join in on the fun but I haven't seen any of Lester's so I can't recommend one :(

That's fine, you can't really go wrong with his list, though I wouldn't pick Mystic River.

On another note, I've rewatched the first four episodes of the Dekalog and it's great.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

LesterGroans posted:

Okay, finally got around to watching Cinema Paradiso. I really was expecting to be underwhelmed, but it was beautiful. The imagery was gorgeous and the story itself just clicked with me for some reason. The most effective part was the emotions it stirred up in me, I couldn't watch it without trying to relate or reminisce. And the montage is stunning without being corny.

Anyway, revised list:

1.The Night of the Hunter - I really don't know why I haven't seen this yet, it appears to have everything I love in a movie, but I guess I've heard so much about it over the years I already "know" it.

2.8 1/2 - It's embarassing, I've just never gotten around to it.

3.The Wild Bunch - I've seen the very opening and bits and pieces of it on TV, all of it's been interesting though

4.Ikiru - I wish I had more Kurosawa under my belt, and this one's always sounded interesting to me

5.Blow-Up - again, probably haven't seen it because I know so much about it already

6.Cinema Paradiso - I tried finding it a few years ago, failed, and gave up. I haven't sought it out in a long time

7.Paris, Texas - I've just been underexposed to this movie and hadn't really heard much about it

8.Point Blank - Again, underexposure... a friend saw it and loved it a few months ago and it's been bugging me since

9.Mystic River - The actors intrigued me but nothing I heard about the story did it for me, plus I heard a lot of lukewarm reviews

10.Ghandi - Sorry, Ben Kingsley
A touch choice between The Wild Bunch and Ikiru (never thought I'd compare those two), but I'm you're going to go with Ikiru. Have fun nursing that punch in the gut.

Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition.

The General - I love Buster Keaton, but I've never come across this.

Tokyo Story - I have never seen an Ozu film. I don't have an excuse for this one, I just never took the time to watch one.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - I know I'll love this, but the opportunity has never come up.

Jules and Jim - I saw the first ten minutes or so, but I wasn't in a movie-watching mood when I decided to see this and never really came back to it. It's a shame, because I love Truffaut.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster.

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that. Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

Minnie and Moskowitz - I've been intrigued by this for a while now, but I know almost nothing about it.

Play Time - I've never seen a Jacques Tati film and I really liked the clips I've seen of this, but there were other Criterion blurays ahead of this on my list.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down.

High Noon - I pride myself on having seen a ton of Westerns, but for some reason I never took the time to watch this one. I'm thinking if this is chosen then I'm going to watch Rio Bravo right after it.

I've got a couple gimmes in there, bananas. Jump on in.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wolfgang Pauli, life is a precious thing that could be cut short at any time, so it would remiss of me to recommend anything other than The Godfather Part II.

As far as my recommendation, I liked Ed Wood a lot! It was a cross between a biopic and a fanpic, stylistically done to reinforce Wood's personality. Reading Burton's comments about Wood after I finished the movie made it clear that Burton was fascinated by the man/his delusions. That definitely shone through in the movie, and made it all the better.

The wrap party scene in the meat packing warehouse with Sarah Jessica Parker's outburst bears a repeat viewing those that've seen it already...just hilarious (don't click if you haven't seen it, scene is at the 3:25 mark).

Arkane posted:

It's a Wonderful Life - Every Christmas I'm looked at like a half-wit as to how I could have possibly avoided seeing this movie. I guess it's always been made fun of as overly sappy so I've had a bad taste in my mouth about it.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this until it's the last film to complete on the top 250. I'm also just assuming it's a musical based on clips I've seen...it's a musical, right?

On the Waterfront - I know the speech, the plot outline, and have heard this is one of the great acting performances of all time, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - everybody on my Criticker list seems to love this movie, but I hadn't even heard of it until a couple of years ago. I'm ambivalent on Herzog, although I've only seen a handful of his movies. Some movies of his I love; others I despise.

The Graduate - I've seen the ending, just never seen the whole movie.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I thought it was only a song on the oldies station.

8 1/2 - Is this a musical or am I just thinking that because of the hellspawn Rob Marshall? Either way, I haven't seen it.

A Fellini movie not named 8 1/2 - I can tell watching 8 1/2 that I'll like his movies, so pick one!

Ed Wood - Burton only intermittently entertains me with his movies, but I'd like to see what most consider his best film to give him another chance.

The Last Waltz - Directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this documentary (should I be in the mood to listen to music, watch a movie, or do both?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I watched For a few dollars more. Liked it quite a bit. I especially liked Lee Van Cleef. I'll have to look up some more of his movies.

I'm gonna back out of this thread for now. I'll probably watch The good, the bad, and the ugly next anyway.