Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Arkane: watch Aguirre

As for my list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z - Been meaning to see this one for quite a while

Fitzcarraldo - Working my way through Herzog and haven't gotten to this one yet.

Downfall - This one's supposed to be pretty good and I've seen a couple of other Hirschbiegel movies so why not.

Welcome to the Dollhouse - I've never seen anything by Solondz and one of my friends occassionally bothers me about watching his movies so I guess this is a place to start.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. The 5 hour version definitely scares me.

Breathless - never seen many Godard films. Only just saw Pierrot le fou

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Aces High posted:

Voodoofly, see The New World because it is a slow movie... well I've got nothing else to say for it really

Anyone know if you can get the extended version on Netflix? The one they sent me was the theatrical release, and I'd rather see the other version first.

If not, I think someone needs to pick a new movie for me from the list:

Voodoofly posted:

The Sweet Hereafter - I've never seen any Atom Egoyan films, but this has always been the one I'm most interested in. A friend loves this movie, I've always heard great things about the book, I have no idea why it has taken me so long to see it.

Elephant - I saw Paranoid Park a year ago or so, and something clicked. Since then, I've been going back and watching, rewatching his films as time permits. Mala Noche was interesting, My Own Private Idaho was much more amazing than my 12-13 year old self remembered, and I even had a thing for Last Days. Yet, somehow, I haven't made it around to see Elephant or Gerry, and it seems that most people I've told this think Elephant might be his best film. I guess you can throw Gerry on here as well.

Talk to her - I've watched a couple Almodovar films in film school. I've realized that there are a lot of movies I saw in film school that I completely didn't appreciate, whether because I've matured since then, or because I was simply being overloaded with movies. I wasn't a huge fan of the movies I saw from what I remember, but time to get back on the saddle.

Dogville - I love Lars Von Trier probably because I hate him so much. That makes no sense, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I mean. Breaking the Waves is one I need to revisit (another film school movie), the Five Obstructions was cool, and Antichrist had something going on, but why not break my cherry and dive head-first. I guess throw Dancer in the Dark in this as well (I love Bjork), and Manderlay instead of Dogville if that is the first one (I'm pretty sure it is the second).

The New World - Badlands is one of my favorite movies ever. Days of Heaven is beautiful. The Thin Red Line grows on me every year. I have no excuse for not seeing this one yet (hell, I've even been a longtime Colin Farrell fan since Tigerland).

Yi Yi - I know it's from a Taiwanese filmmaker, and people seem to love it. That's about it.

Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring - Is he also a Taiwanese filmmaker, or is this a Korean film? I remember wanting to see this when it was in theaters, I know its an episodic film in different stages of life, I don't want to know more. It's probably been in my netflix queue for a couple years at least.

In the Bedroom - I've been saying I would watch this film since it came out. Someday I will get to it. I don't know what to say other than everything I know about it appeals to me. I guess I just haven't been in the mood for the last decade.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days - I want to see it, but I don't want to watch it. This is probably the movie on this list I feel most ashamed about not having seen yet.

The Piano Teacher - Oh Haneke, we started off wrong. I saw Funny Games in film school, thought it was clever, and moved on. I watched Cache a few years ago, and was loving floored (actually, now that I think about it, it probably took about a week before I realized how much I loved Cache). Still haven't seen anything of his since (actually, I saw most of the Funny Games remake because I went to a friends and they had it on, but I wasn't any more or less impressed than what I remembered from the first one). Figure this is as good a place as any to continue down the rabbit hole.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Honestly, don't even bother with the theatrical cut of The New World. The studio cut it down as if the plot was telling a story or something. Silly studio.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
dotcommunism, I choose Breathless. It's my favourite film on your list.

Just finished Once Upon a Time in the West. I was worried about the "slowness" of the movie, but again, Leone is perfect in the way he sets up a scene. Also, the poster who suggested this to me said that once Claudia Cardinale came onto the screen, I'd forget about the runtime -- he was right :3

Anyways,

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. The Godfather: Part II:
2. Singin' in the Rain: I have yet to watch a musical I have enjoyed, yet I continually read about the greatness of this film. I have not had any interest in watching it, but it seems like I should.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
4. Ran: I have yet to watch a Kurosawa film I disliked.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan: This appears like it's considered Allen's second best work. I loved Annie Hall, so my assumption is that I would love this.

6. Do the Right Thing: I have seen a few Spike Lee films, and I have been constantly underwhelmed. I just never got the amount of praise the 25th Hour got, when I felt it was a decent movie with an embarrassing monologue by Ed Norton in the middle.

7. Rear Window: I am only avoiding this because of the Simpsons episode. I have seen that episode so many times, that I feel like the film would be similar. I know that's a stupid way of looking at things, but oh well.

8. The Shawshank Redemption: There has been a copy of this movie in my household since I was a child. I don't know why I haven't watched this.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West:
9. Some Like it Hot: Apparently this is a funny comedy. I like Jack Lemmon, but the idea of two guys in drag stretched for an entire film doesn't do it for me. Either way, this seems like a movie I should watch just to see if my preconceptions were correct.

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back: I get a lot of poo poo about this from my friends. I saw Episodes IV and VI when I was a kid, around the time the remastered versions were being released. While I have enough memories of IV that a second viewing wouldn't be necessary (also because I catch parts of it while flipping through the channels from time to time), I forget large parts of VI. Anyways, I used to try sitting through V as a kid because my dad, and my uncles, would always tell me this was the best of the series. I never watched past the ice planet part, because I'd always get bored.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Just finished watching Ikiru. Wow, what a beautiful movie. It's not my favourite Kurosawa, but it was still fantastic. I can't remember who said it, but Kurosawa really is a cinematic Shakespeare. And hell, he can edit some tight sequences... when Watanabe is thinking about Mitsuo playing baseball, which cuts to Watanabe's face, then cuts to he and a younger Mitsuo on an elevator: so good. The first half part of the movie was gut-wrenchingly sad: Watanabe crawling backwards down the steps killed me. I also dug the office drudgery montage at the beginning. It's one I'll introduce to others.

As for Twin Cinema, I was going to say Raiders, but it's Empire Strikes Back all the way.

Revised list:

1.The Night of the Hunter - I really don't know why I haven't seen this yet, it appears to have everything I love in a movie, but I guess I've heard so much about it over the years I already "know" it.

2.8 1/2 - It's embarassing, I've just never gotten around to it.

3.The Wild Bunch - I've seen the very opening and bits and pieces of it on TV, all of it's been interesting though

4.Ikiru - I wish I had more Kurosawa under my belt, and this one's always sounded interesting to me

5.Blow-Up - again, probably haven't seen it because I know so much about it already

6.Cinema Paradiso - I tried finding it a few years ago, failed, and gave up. I haven't sought it out in a long time

7.Paris, Texas - I've just been underexposed to this movie and hadn't really heard much about it

8.Point Blank - Again, underexposure... a friend saw it and loved it a few months ago and it's been bugging me since

9.Mystic River - The actors intrigued me but nothing I heard about the story did it for me, plus I heard a lot of lukewarm reviews

10.Ghandi - Sorry, Ben Kingsley

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around
There's some very good ones on there, LesterGroans. You get Blowup, which is a very good movie. Enjoy.

1. Fitzcarraldo- I love Herzog, so why I haven’t seen this is inexcusable.
2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own in on video, so watching would be easy, but…
3. Red River- See # 2
4. Pather Panchali- See # 2, also I have never seen any Satyajit Ray.
5. Ran- One of Kurosawa’s greatest. Why haven’t I seen it?
6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched…
7. Time Bandits- I love Terry Gilliam, but never got around to this one.
8. The Last Waltz- It’s the only major Scorsese work I haven’t seen
9. The Searchers- I’m really behind on Ford, but this one’s a doozy
10. Any Charlie Chaplin- I am ashamed.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

meanmikhail posted:

There's some very good ones on there, LesterGroans. You get Blowup, which is a very good movie. Enjoy.

Awesome! Thanks.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
meanmikhail, you watch The Searchers, though only because I haven't seen Fitzcarraldo yet. It's one of two westerns I've seen, and it's really good.

My shameful list, made even more shameful by the fact that I'm a goddamn film studies student:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation.

2. Fitzcarraldo - Saw Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, loved it, just saw Aguirre and loved Klaus Kinski, so this seems like a logical next step.

3. Taxi Driver, or any Scorcese, really - Also no excuse

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

6. Annie Hall - I've never seen a Woody Allen film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Just never saw it.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this.

And the most egregious...10. Star Wars. I didn't see it when I was a kid, and now I just really don't care. I feel like after Spaceballs, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and all the pop culture references and hullabaloo over the prequels, I already know everything I need to know.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
My take on Star Wars isn't the information, there's nothing at all groundbreaking about it. It's all in the presentation, everything is so neat and tight and well-driven. It's my go-to example of tight plot structure.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Vertigo Ambrosia I choose Raiders of the Lost Arc for you. You might as well watch the other 2 in the original series if you like Raiders.

I'm so terrible with movies, I have failed to watch so many classics, and subject myself to terrible terrible movies, here's my terrible list. I don't know much about most of these movies outside of Goodfellas is a mob movie and Citizen Kane is about the story of a man. I know no spoilers.

1. Casablanca - I've just never really thought of watching it.

2. Citizen Kane - Just like Casablanca.

3. Any Hitchcock sans Psycho and the Birds - I would like to see Rear Window and North by Northwest at some point though.

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge Kubrick fan.

5. Goodfellas - Haven't thought of seeing it.

6. Godfather Series - Everything I hear about part 3 is terrible, but the first 2 are supposed to be on the Mount Rushmore of movies, I don't have much of an excuse here.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown - A movie I know is a classic, but I never think about.

9. 12 Angry Men - Just like Chinatown.

10. Gone With the Wind - A classic I've never gotten around to.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

marioinblack, I recommend Chinatown to you. It's almost tied with 12 Angry Men as my favorite film on your list, but I would sooner watch the former again than I would the later. As a corollary to that recommendation and explanation, I would suggest you watch the made-for-TV remake when you get around to seeing 12 Angry Men.

Well, here's My List of Shame: The "What The gently caress Is Wrong With You" Edition.

1. Jaws- Yes, I know, I haven't seen the first big summer movie. I just never felt like watching it, and I think it's number one hundred something in my Netflix queue.

2. The Princess Bride- What I've seen from it I've found hilarious, and the cast is made up of people I love, but I have yet to watch the whole thing.

3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day- 1, 3, and 4 I have watched, but what many call the best film in the saga remains a mystery to me.

4. Ghostbusters- Comedy classic that I know next to nothing about. I want to keep it that way until I watch the movie, a movie I definitely should have seen years ago. Pretty terrible that I've seen Casper but not this.

5. Saving Private Ryan- Look I know that this is supposed to be an outing of shame, but it's getting really difficult to reveal these oversights.

6. Aliens- Only seen the original and Resurrection, and it was a very long time ago that I even watched those two.

7. The Great Escape- Fell asleep about thirty minutes in when it was on TV, because I'd been working all day. Time to fix that error.

8. 8 1/2- It's coming up in my queue, but I could always use a little extra incentive. I'm woefully uneducated in Fellini, so I need to bone up.

That's all for now. At least I can take consolation in the fact that it took a while to wrack my brain and come up with several films that have firmly entered pop culture that I have yet to watch. But still, I have little excuse for most of these.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Alright. RussianGuyovich, you should really watch all of those films. But I'll choose Terminator 2 for you.

My list of films will mainly consist of imdb top films that I haven't seen. I know that there's a huge amount of "cannon" films that I need to see, but I just can't recall the names of them (except the first few in my list).

1. 8 1/2 - as so many of you have mentioned it, I realized I hadn't seen this either. I know absolutely nothing about it, and pretty much had forgotten it existed until this thread.

2. Casablanca - again this popped up in the first few posts; I haven't seen this one either, although I know the basic plot outline.

Now for IMDB top movies,

3. Rear Window - come to think of it, the only Hitchcock film I've seen is Psycho. I don't know why I haven't seen this. I've watched Disturbia, which i found to be pretty boring, but Rear Window is probably much better.

4. It's a Wonderful Life - I've seen certain scenes, but not the whole thing.

5. Sunset Blvd. - What is this movie? It's 30th on imdb's top films and I haven't even heard of it.

6. North by Northwest - I've been meaning to get around to this for ages.

7. Amelie - Heard of this, don't know much about it.

8. Paths of Glory - 49th on imdb, never heard of it

9. Spirited Away - I've been meaning to watch this, too. I guess I haven't gotten around to it because the only other Miyazaki film I've watched is Princess Mononoke, and I didn't really feel that was particularly special.

10. M - Don't know much about this one.

Welp, got down to 55 on imdb's top movies before I filled my quota of 10. That seems okay.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
Okay The Pineapple, I'll give you Spirited Away. I saw it when it came out, but I can't remember much about it besides liking it.

Here's my shameful list of movies:

1. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - I like Clint Eastwood and Westerns, so it's a mystery how I've never gotten to this yet.

2. 2001: A Space Oddysee - The only other Kubrick movie that I've watched was Full Metal Jacket, which I loved. I've heard nothing but good about most of his other movies, and have been wanting to get around to watching them.

3. Dr. Strangelove - See above

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail - I've seen a few of the famous scenes from this but I've never actually watched this. I figure it's time I get around it.

5. The Godfather series - A famous series of movies that keep popping up and being mentioned all over the place, though I've yet to see them.

6. Jaws - Again, a famous movie that I've been meaning to watch but haven't.

7. The Shawshank Redemption - My Dad loves this movie and has been trying to get me to watch it for ages. I figure now is a good time to rectify that.

8. Scarface - I know this is good, but I know next to nothing about it.

9. The Wizard of Oz - I've been trying to watch this forever, but no less than 10 minutes into the movie, something usually comes up and I forget about going back to watch it.

10. The Back to the Future series - Again, a classic movie that has yet to find it's way to my TV screen.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Alright, after multiple people telling me to wait for the Extended Edition, I'm passing on The New World because Netflix only has the theatrical release.

Awcko, you get The Godfather (the first one - if you want to continue on that's on you, but I'd say seriously consider watching some other movies on that list before venturing into Part 3).

Here is my list, updated:

Voodoofly posted:

The Sweet Hereafter - I've never seen any Atom Egoyan films, but this has always been the one I'm most interested in. A friend loves this movie, I've always heard great things about the book, I have no idea why it has taken me so long to see it.

Elephant - I saw Paranoid Park a year ago or so, and something clicked. Since then, I've been going back and watching, rewatching his films as time permits. Mala Noche was interesting, My Own Private Idaho was much more amazing than my 12-13 year old self remembered, and I even had a thing for Last Days. Yet, somehow, I haven't made it around to see Elephant or Gerry, and it seems that most people I've told this think Elephant might be his best film. I guess you can throw Gerry on here as well.

Talk to her - I've watched a couple Almodovar films in film school. I've realized that there are a lot of movies I saw in film school that I completely didn't appreciate, whether because I've matured since then, or because I was simply being overloaded with movies. I wasn't a huge fan of the movies I saw from what I remember, but time to get back on the saddle.

Dogville - I love Lars Von Trier probably because I hate him so much. That makes no sense, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I mean. Breaking the Waves is one I need to revisit (another film school movie), the Five Obstructions was cool, and Antichrist had something going on, but why not break my cherry and dive head-first. I guess throw Dancer in the Dark in this as well (I love Bjork), and Manderlay instead of Dogville if that is the first one (I'm pretty sure it is the second).

The New World - Badlands is one of my favorite movies ever. Days of Heaven is beautiful. The Thin Red Line grows on me every year. I have no excuse for not seeing this one yet (hell, I've even been a longtime Colin Farrell fan since Tigerland).

Billy Liar - I've always wanted to dive into some of the Angry Young Man / Kitchen Sink movies (having only seen The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner, which I remember the 18 year old me thought was amazing). It was this, Saturday Night or Sunday Morning, Look Back in Anger, This Sporting Life, or If..., so I went with the one listed as a comedy.

Yi Yi - I know it's from a Taiwanese filmmaker, and people seem to love it. That's about it.

Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring - Is he also a Taiwanese filmmaker, or is this a Korean film? I remember wanting to see this when it was in theaters, I know its an episodic film in different stages of life, I don't want to know more. It's probably been in my netflix queue for a couple years at least.

In the Bedroom - I've been saying I would watch this film since it came out. Someday I will get to it. I don't know what to say other than everything I know about it appeals to me. I guess I just haven't been in the mood for the last decade.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days - I want to see it, but I don't want to watch it. This is probably the movie on this list I feel most ashamed about not having seen yet.

The Piano Teacher - Oh Haneke, we started off wrong. I saw Funny Games in film school, thought it was clever, and moved on. I watched Cache a few years ago, and was loving floored (actually, now that I think about it, it probably took about a week before I realized how much I loved Cache). Still haven't seen anything of his since (actually, I saw most of the Funny Games remake because I went to a friends and they had it on, but I wasn't any more or less impressed than what I remembered from the first one). Figure this is as good a place as any to continue down the rabbit hole.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I haven't seen any of the movies on your list Voodoofly, but I choose Dogville anyways. I haven't seen, but I want to. I watched Von Trier's Antichrist, and while I didn't enjoy it, I did think he had talent.

I just finished Episode V. Why did I wait so long to watch this? I think there were a few reasons, but the main one being that I always assumed people loved this film because of nostalgia. But, after watching it, I could see that I was incredibly wrong.

While the effects are dated, I couldn't help but love that everything was made. It adds a certain charm. I am actually surprised at how much I did enjoy this, because I have never had much interest in science fiction (actually, thanks to Wikipedia, I know now that it's considered a "space opera.") None of the acting was especially superb, but it fit the movie. I did grow tired of Luke, but his character was well-written.

In closing, this is a movie I should have seen years ago.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. The Godfather: Part II:
2. Singin' in the Rain: I have yet to watch a musical I have enjoyed, yet I continually read about the greatness of this film. I have not had any interest in watching it, but it seems like I should.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
4. Ran: I have yet to watch a Kurosawa film I disliked.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan: This appears like it's considered Allen's second best work. I loved Annie Hall, so my assumption is that I would love this.

6. Do the Right Thing: I have seen a few Spike Lee films, and I have been constantly underwhelmed. I just never got the amount of praise the 25th Hour got, when I felt it was a decent movie with an embarrassing monologue by Ed Norton in the middle.

7. Rear Window: I am only avoiding this because of the Simpsons episode. I have seen that episode so many times, that I feel like the film would be similar. I know that's a stupid way of looking at things, but oh well.

8. The Shawshank Redemption: There has been a copy of this movie in my household since I was a child. I don't know why I haven't watched this.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West:
9. Some Like it Hot: Apparently this is a funny comedy. I like Jack Lemmon, but the idea of two guys in drag stretched for an entire film doesn't do it for me. Either way, this seems like a movie I should watch just to see if my preconceptions were correct.

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
10. Jaws: I could swear that I have seen the beginning, and the ending of this -- but I haven't seen the middle. I should probably get around to watching this as a complete film.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Voodoofly posted:

Alright, after multiple people telling me to wait for the Extended Edition, I'm passing on The New World because Netflix only has the theatrical release.
The Bluray's around average Bluray price, but the DVD's maybe :10bux:

And damnit, Twin Cinema. I really need to get a copy of The Godfather 2 now. You need to watch some Singing in the Rain.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Bluray's around average Bluray price, but the DVD's maybe :10bux:

I don't think I want to buy a Mailick movie on DVD, and over the last couple years I've finally kicked that "buying movies left and right" addiction - I rarely/never buy a movie blind anymore.

And even if I wasn't on a "no blind buy" mission, my Blu-Ray player is back home in Los Angeles with my fiance and my dog while I am working on a project in vegas. I'm not spending my time limited time back home watching The New World.

There will be a proper time, just not now.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

I don't think I want to buy a Mailick movie on DVD, and over the last couple years I've finally kicked that "buying movies left and right" addiction - I rarely/never buy a movie blind anymore.

And even if I wasn't on a "no blind buy" mission, my Blu-Ray player is back home in Los Angeles with my fiance and my dog while I am working on a project in vegas. I'm not spending my time limited time back home watching The New World.

There will be a proper time, just not now.

The Blu-Ray on Netflix includes both versions, FYI.

If you can't see it, have someone pick something else for you.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

caiman posted:

Cailin Rua, you must watch Lawrence of Arabia. You will thank me.

Thank you. It was absolutely amazing. There's not really a whole lot I can say about this film that hasn't been said by hundreds of people over the years, but I do feel like a better person, or at least a better cinephile, for having watched it.

TwinCinema, watch Singin' in the Rain. Right now. Do it.

Updated list:
I'm gonna start going by TSPDT's list, just to make picking which movies I haven't seen easier for myself.

1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

2. Braveheart Just, I dunno, it's Mel Gibson?

3. It's A Wonderful Life Or really anything with Jimmy Stewart that isn't Harvey, Rear Window or The Man Who Knew Too Much Just recently found out that I love Jimmy Stewart, and he's in so many good movies it's kind of overwhelming.

4. The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

5. The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

6. Vertigo. I've seen enough Hitchcock that it would take up too much space to list the ones I have seen, but not enough that I can list all the ones I haven't so I'll just start with this one.

7. The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

8. The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

9. Lawrence of Arabia
9. The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

10. Annie Hall I say I hate Woody Allen, but I've only seen one (I think?) of his films. A friend of mine compared me to Annie Hall once, so I suppose I should watch to see if it was an insult or not.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Cailin Rua, watch Annie Hall.

So I watched Breathless. I'm beginning to develop an appreciation for Godard that I never really had before. It takes a little while to get used to his style, but there was definitely something good going on here.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z - Been meaning to see this one for quite a while

Fitzcarraldo - Working my way through Herzog and haven't gotten to this one yet. Plan on following it with Burden of Dreams

Downfall - This one's supposed to be pretty good and I've seen a couple of other Hirschbiegel movies so why not.

Welcome to the Dollhouse - I've never seen anything by Solondz and one of my friends occassionally bothers me about watching his movies so I guess this is a place to start.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. The 5 hour version definitely scares me.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos - I feel like I may have screwed up at some point as a queer person having never seen any John Waters film.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Well, I just finished Dr strange love. Absolutely amazing. One of the funniest and at the same time most deeply tragic movies I've ever seen.

Updated list:
My list:
1 The Seventh Seal, or any other movie by Bergman for that matter Really, I have no excuse. I'm a swedish film nerd for christ sake, Bergman should be my god!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 12 Angry Men Heard much about this one, dunno why I haven't seen it.

5 Taxi Driver Was about to see this, but had to move and the dvd is lost now :(

6 Yojimbo Haven't watched much Kurosawa, wanna get started and this one looks interesting.

7 Jackie Brown I am all over Tarantinos dick, need to see this now.

8 Anything by Takashi Miike execpt Ichi the Killer and Sukiyaki Western Django He's a japanese Tarantino from what I've seen, so naturally I'm all over him. But I'm lazy, so I've only seen two of his movies so far.

9 Cidade de Deus (City of god... I think?) Again, I had this on DVD but I lost it when I moved. Damm shame.

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

dotCommunism posted:

Pink Flamingos - I feel like I may have screwed up at some point as a queer person having never seen any John Waters film.

Watch this.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Hellbunny, see Taxi Driver.

Just saw The Searchers, and I really liked it. I can understand the acclaim for it. It looks great, it's more complex than your average western, John Wayne shows more range than usual, and its influence on film is very clear. I'm still more of a Leone/Eastwood man, but this has made me more curious about Ford. I might revisit The Quiet Man.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Pather Panchali- See # 2, also I have never seen any Satyajit Ray.

9. Badlands- I've loved the Malick films I've seen (Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line), and this one always intrigued me, but it only just occured to me that I haven't seen it.

Finally seen: The Searchers

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

meanmikhail, watch Pather Panchali you won't regret it.

Hell yes, I just watched the decalogue and it's great. I was a tiny bit disappointed at first when I realized it's not, in fact, the greatest thing ever but once I accepted that I should judge it on it's own merits I thought it really worked. There was one weak episode, but it was surrounded by such greatness that it didn't matter. I'll write more about it in the Rate the latest movie thread in a bit.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those three are the only films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

Neotpravlennoye pismo My top rated film on Criticker.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

A Passage to India I love the three Lean epics I've seen, Lawrence, Bridge and Zhivago, but this one I've just never bothered to watch for no good reason other than it's almost 3 hours.

Yi-Yi All I know about this is that it's one of the highest regarded films of the past 10 years, it's Chinese and it's 3 hours long.

In a Year of 13 Moons I just watched Petra von Kant on Sunday and it made me realize I've only seen 3 Fassbinder films and need to check out more of his work. This should be a lot less daunting than Berlin Alexanderplatz.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Peaceful Anarachy, watch Neotpravlennoye pismo. I haven't seen any of the movies on your list, but this one sounds the most interesting to me, so I'm curious to hear how it is.

Mean Streets was alright. I loved moments here and there, but a lot of it just bored me, and whenever there was ADR it was really distracting. If Goodfellas is Sgt. Peppers, this felt like a pretty cool early rough demo tape of it, if that makes any sense. I'm glad I saw it though, it's definitely worth watching.

Here's my updated list:

Halloween - I'm a Carpenter fan, but this is one of three movies I've never seen of his. I DVR'd it off IFC once, but the widescreen was all stretched out and hosed up as they do with so many movies on there and I didn't want to see it like that. I tried renting it once from a video store, but the disc was scratched. Then I just lost interest.

The Shining - I've only seen two Kubrick movies, 2001 and Clockwork Orange. 2001 I liked a great deal and Clockwork Orange I thought was just 'eh'. I know a lot of people love the movie, and there were things I liked in it, but overall it just didn't really interest me. I've avoided The Shining because I figure I'll probably feel the same about it. I've seen clips of it they didn't grab me.

The City of Lost Children - I don't really know anything about this movie, just that it's supposed to be good. Never felt any pull towards finding out anything more about it. I'd be going into this one blind.

Midnight Cowboy - I know nothing about this movie, except 'that song' plays in it. Just saw Dustin Hoffman in American Buffalo recently, and thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen him in. I hear he's good in this too.

Mulholland Drive - I love Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart. Hated Inland Empire with a fervor. Thought Lost Highway had some good parts. For some reason I lump Inland and Highway in with this one, because I hear this one is sorta aimless too. Maybe it isn't though, this is just based on hearsay.

The Night of the Hunter - Love Robert Mitchum, know nothing about this other than he's in it and Undertow (which I liked a lot) was heavily influenced by it.

Badlands - Love Days of Heaven, haven't seen anything else by Malick. I have great respect for him, but I've never gotten around to this one, which I'd like to see before moving on to his more recent work.

Heathers - I feel like I'd like this movie, but have never gotten around to it. I love the quote 'gently caress me gently with a chainsaw' but I know nothing else about this movie.

Paranoid Park - Loved Elephant, hated Gerry, hated Last Days. I fear I'll hate this one too, after those. If it's like Elephant though, I'll like it.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - No excuse for this. Definitely something I should've seen by now, but it's one of those movies I just forget exists when I'm thinking of classics I should watch.

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
codyclarke, watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The film is a classic, and not by accident; you'll really enjoy it, no question.

As for me:

Taxi Driver- I love DeNiro, and there is no legitimate reason why I haven't seen this yet.

Oldboy - Very popular vengeance flick, which seems right up my alley.

North by Northwest - I have liked all the other Hitchcock films I've seen immensely (Rear Window and Psycho especially).

Murder on the Orient Express - I love murder/mystery movies, and it's sitting in my netflix instant queue right now. Not sure what's kept me from watching it thus far.

The Abyss - I really like movies having to do with the ocean, but I haven't seen this one all the way through as the DVD player I was watching it on at the time quit, and I lost interest.

The Terminator - I have seen them all besides the original, and liked them all (T3, not as much, but still didn't hate it), so I guess that makes it shameful? I guess I kind of already know how it ends and don't really care to spend the time watching it.

Mean Streets - Seems like I should have seen this by now.

Lawerence of Arabia - Saw it once so long ago that I remember nothing about it now. I have had it sitting in my DVD case for quite a while now, but have just put it off.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I have heard such mixed opinions of it that I have put it off. I did not enjoy A Clockwork Orange, but only because I felt profoundly disturbed watching it. The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket, however, were pretty awesome in my opinion.

For shame....

SKEET SKEET fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 10, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

SKEET SKEET watch Taxi Driver. Psychotic De Niro is something every fan of his should have to see. He doesn't get more bad rear end than this.

My shameful list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Citizen Kane. The same problem here as The Usual Suspects. I know what Rosebud is. I'm afraid that I'm going to think it's over rated.

4. Die Hard. I'm a Bruce Willis fan, but I'm very rarely in the mood for action movies so it's always been overlooked.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Bodnoirbabe should totally watch Die Hard because it's a bloody tradition. Bruce Willis is iconic.

cool kids inc. posted:

My films that I'm ashamed I haven't seen!

1. Casablanca Oh my lord, I know. This is something I've been meaning to watch for years, Bogart is someone I really enjoy watching, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

2. Citizen Kane I found out it was a sled, but beyond that I have nothing. I know NOTHING about this movie.

3. Psycho As a real horror nerd this one probably shames me most. I haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock, which is a right shame considering.

4. Blue Velvet Speaking of Dennis Hopper being awesome, I haven't seen this :( I've heard it's had a tremendous influence on a lot of my favorite movies, so maybe I should?

5. Groundhog Day God drat did I try. I love Bill Murray. I was young when I tried to watch it so I got so incredibly bored I peaced out in the middle of it. Who wants to watch Bill Murray do the same thing over and over again, right? Ooof. Sorry.

6. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Well I have a film Hopper's known for, why not Nicholson. Man and I've seen almost every other thing he's been in. I started to read the book, too, and just never managed to finish (I think it belonged to someone else).

7. And this one's kind of strange....Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I have read all six other books. Seen each of the other movies, but some how I managed to skip this both in book and movie form. And I've heard it's the best of the Harry Potter movies!

8. Dr. Strangelove Kubrick is very hit and miss for me. 2001 bored me to tears, but I LOVED Full Metal Jacket and The Shining. On that note...
8. Taxi Driver I love me some Robert De Niro, so this is just a matter of not having access/not getting around to it.

9. Eyes Wide Shut Same thing.

10. And this one is REALLY embarrassing... Close Encounters of the Third Kind I know I know I know. Spielberg! Aliens! Awesome!? That's what I hear. I haven't seen it!!

Please guide me, CD! I post only on occasion, but I read religiously!

Oh my sweet loving God. How the HELL did I go this long without seeing this movie? I haven't laughed so hard in such a long time. Peter Sellers is just...so loving phenomenal in this movie I don't even know where to start! It's just so infinitely quotable, too! Thanks a ton :haw: ! I've amended my list, to add another shameful missed movie.

Edit: Always preview before you post, especially in threads like these!!

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 10, 2010

Cantskate43
Jun 3, 2007

Hello? Dominos?

Bodnoirbabe posted:

SKEET SKEET watch Taxi Driver. Psychotic De Niro is something every fan of his should have to see. He doesn't get more bad rear end than this.

My shameful list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Citizen Kane. The same problem here as The Usual Suspects. I know what Rosebud is. I'm afraid that I'm going to think it's over rated.

4. Die Hard. I'm a Bruce Willis fan, but I'm very rarely in the mood for action movies so it's always been overlooked.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.
Bodnoirbabe, Die Hard is the best action film ever made. Everytime the movie comes on in my house, its a family occasion. I have a tattoo related to the movie. There's no way I cannot have you watch this movie. You've been missing out.

As for my shameful list:

Casablanca- Yes, it's one of the most classic films of all time. But it just doesn't pique my interest. I also figure that I'll see it in film class next semester.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb- I really haven't watched too much Kubrick, and need to remedy this. I've heard such great things about it, but never get the motivation to watch it.

The Godfather- This is probably the film I am the most ashamed of not seeing. But I have seen bits and pieces of it, and it seemed to drag a lot. And I feel like Ive seen the movie through all the pop culture references.

Rocky- If Godfather isn't the film I am the most ashamed of seeing, this is it. I have no excuse for not seeing it. I am less of a man for not seeing it.

Schindler's List- I have no doubts that this is an amazing film, however I just don't feel like being depressed for a while after watching it. Requiem for a Dream had me depressed for a few days after, and I suspect this one will hit me harder than it.

Psycho- No idea why I haven't watched it. Well, I know how most of it goes from references, but that still isn't enough of an excuse with a movie like this. I also am not a big fan of older films for whatever reason; still haven't branched out into the B&W films.

The Exorcist- I watched the beginning when I was 13 or so and turned it off for boring me. Not a huge horror fan, and like a couple other movies on my list, I think most of the important scenes have been ruined for me from spoofs and pop culture references.

Brazil- I watched 12 Monkeys and loved it, and havent watched any other Gilliam flicks. It's on my to-watch list, but I keep pushing it back for some reason.

Bullitt- Maybe 10 years ago I had this playing in the background and hardly paid attention to it besides the famous car chase. This really needs a rewatch to the point where I basically count this movie as unwatched. I think I could now appreciate this movie (whereas I couldnt at the age of 11 or so)

Dr No.- I started getting into Bond movies young, starting with Brosnan's films and going backwards since I was a kid dazzled by shiny things that blow up. Never made it to the original and feel shamed as a movie buff for never seeing it.

Edit: Well poo poo, looks like I was beaten to assign Bodnoirbabe's movie(Not that it matters, he still got Die Hard). Cool kids inc., you get to watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Cantskate43 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 10, 2010

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Whoops, posted too late. Cantskate43 I choose Rocky for you. It's really just a fun movie that makes you feel better after seeing it.

So I watched Chinatown and I can see why it is as lauded as it is. Jack does an amazing job here, and if you ever get to watch this movie without having any idea the premise, I'd do it. Just a really solid shot, acted, and written movie. I'd put it high on my list. Thank you for picking this out for me.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca - I've just never really thought of watching it.

2. Citizen Kane - Just like Casablanca.

3. Any Hitchcock sans Psycho and the Birds - I would like to see Rear Window and North by Northwest at some point though.

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge Kubrick fan.

5. Goodfellas - Haven't thought of seeing it.

6. Godfather Series - Everything I hear about part 3 is terrible, but the first 2 are supposed to be on the Mount Rushmore of movies, I don't have much of an excuse here.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Another Jack classic that I haven't seen.

9. 12 Angry Men - Just like Chinatown.

10. Gone With the Wind - A classic I've never gotten around to.

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 10, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Cantskate43 posted:

Edit: Well poo poo, looks like I was beaten to assign Bodnoirbabe's movie(Not that it matters, he still got Die Hard).

She! And I guess since I got that recommend from TWO people, I really have to do it. It's on the top of the Netflix as we speak!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Does anybody even know how to get Neotpravlennoye pismo? Is it even on DVD? It seems like one of those things that shoots up to the top of the list because a bunch of Criticker users saw it as some festival and tier 10'd it.

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
marioinblack, watch 12 Angry Men. In actuality, you need to watch all of the movies on your list (especially Godfather I&II, Cuckoo's nest, and wall-e), but that movie is probably my favorite from your list. Enjoy :)

Just watched Taxi Driver as was ordered up, and I loved it. DeNiro's performance was rock solid. This may seem like a stupid question, but his psychotic "episodes" are attributed to his insomnia, correct?

SKEET SKEET posted:

Taxi Driver
The Searchers - I love westerns, and John Wayne, but I have never seen it.

Oldboy - Very popular vengeance flick, which seems right up my alley.

North by Northwest - I have liked all the other Hitchcock films I've seen immensely (Rear Window and Psycho especially).

Murder on the Orient Express - I love murder/mystery movies, and it's sitting in my netflix instant queue right now. Not sure what's kept me from watching it thus far.

The Abyss - I really like movies having to do with the ocean, but I haven't seen this one all the way through as the DVD player I was watching it on at the time quit, and I lost interest.

The Terminator - I have seen them all besides the original, and liked them all (T3, not as much, but still didn't hate it), so I guess that makes it shameful? I guess I kind of already know how it ends and don't really care to spend the time watching it.

Mean Streets - Seems like I should have seen this by now.

Lawerence of Arabia - Saw it once so long ago that I remember nothing about it now. I have had it sitting in my DVD case for quite a while now, but have just put it off.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I have heard such mixed opinions of it that I have put it off. I did not enjoy A Clockwork Orange, but only because I felt profoundly disturbed watching it. The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket, however, were pretty awesome in my opinion.

For shame....

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
and some PTSD from the war.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Does anybody even know how to get Neotpravlennoye pismo? Is it even on DVD? It seems like one of those things that shoots up to the top of the list because a bunch of Criticker users saw it as some festival and tier 10'd it.

There's a Russian DVD and criticker users are resourceful and located around the world, so while it's not the easiest film to find it's not that hard either. I'll be watching it this afternoon.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cantskate43 posted:

Schindler's List- I have no doubts that this is an amazing film, however I just don't feel like being depressed for a while after watching it. Requiem for a Dream had me depressed for a few days after, and I suspect this one will hit me harder than it.

Schindler's List isn't really depressing. It's a character study of a savior. Some really screwed up things happen in the movie, but I wouldn't really call it a depressing movie because the screwed up things are there to provide a backdrop for what he was saving people from.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I didn't see it at a festival, I'm just "resourceful". :ninja:

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Skeet Skeet I recommend Oldboy. I would also choose Lawrence of Arabia but it isn't always everyone's thing.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Schindler's List.

How much can I add to the pile already devoted to this film? I am impressed by the enormous quality and depth of vision Spielberg brought to the film and on purely on technical merit the film is an overwhelming achievement. I am not alone in feeling that Spielberg just didn't know when to stop and had to do an epilogue which certainly was well timed emotionally but in afterthought produces a bit of a groan. I would have been much more interested to see Schindler's post war decline that follows most stories of heroes; Once their moment is gone many of them fall apart. Schindler himself is a flawed character, and his wife for all her bickering later in life did seem to go along with the womanizing and such as long as the cash was rolling in. My issue is that while Neelson did an excellent job, he was almost too easy to identify with, almost too much an "American" style film noir hero, tailor made for Hollywood. Goethe struck me as too over the top, reminding me of the Captain from Pan's Labyrinth. I don't know the historical details around him so I cannot judge if this was done to create a singular antagonist or was just a way of encapsulating the real person. The whole relationship with the Jewish maid is a fairly complex interaction which could also serve as a window into the historical interaction between slave owners in American and other countries where one is taught that the slaves are not human but somehow the dominant group finds itself trying to come to grips with the very nature of the relationship. It seemed rushed in order to fit within the film and I almost wish that relationship had been its own film. Many of the other Nazi's (with some glaring exceptions) are portrayed (rightfully) as a complex group motivated by many factors and occasionally caught in the moment by forces they have no control over (read the Stanford Prison Experiment for more on that).

I feel Spielberg portrayed the Jews as overly idealistic or even worse, as eternally innocent (I almost expected the Na'vi to show up and free them). The scene where Itzhak Stern finds himself crammed into a ghetto and all the other Jews give him the "Shalom!" is utterly unrealistic. Judaism is fractured like any other religion with its internal quibbles that cause conflict between many cultures, income groups and any other fraction line. Imagine if some other group decided to eradicate Christians from Europe, and forced English Protestants, Irish Catholics and some Calvinists into the same apartment like that. As for my major concern with the film, the use of the "docudrama" for the historical contrasted by the intense focus with some of the main characters leaves me feeling a little lost. The main character's rarely seem to actually interact with the historical around them outside of the trappings of uniforms. Even Goethe shooting the resting workers with his sniper rifle seems to almost glorify him the way Robert Duval's character in Apocalypse Now is, instead of dealing with the suffering such actions place on the families of the victims and trauma to those who are potential targets.

All this doesn't mean I feel the film failed. I think it succeeded despite the fact that it was a big budget Hollywood film and that is a huge achievement. Any real issues I have with it are primarily due to the restrictions of the medium and the mechanism that funded it, and really are pretty minor compared to the overwhelming things it did right. Some things just had to be in order for this film to happen.

Cleaned up the list a little...

Bedevere posted:

1-2. The God Father 1 and 2 I have never seen any of them. I suspect living in New York the last thing I want to look at are faux Mafioso. - I have the trilogy box set on order....
3. Ikiru I think the sun rises at Kurosawa's will, but somehow never saw this.
4. Schindler's List No interest. Everyone thinks I lost my mind not to see it but I just couldn't get worked up enough to even see it on cable.
4. Wall-E I didn't know it wasn't a simple cartoon.
3. Annie Hall I tried. Just couldn't make it past 15 minutes.
4. Some Like It Hot This is supposedly a great film. I have never been a fan of Monroe and every time I see her I feel bad for her.
5. Singin' In the Rain Seen the Gene Kelly dance number and feel like I saw all I needed to.
6. ET I honestly think it's a generational film. I suspect in 20 more years no one will care.
7. Blue Velvet
8. Amelie
9. Snatch
10. 8 1/2
11. I Will Walk Like A Crazy Horse
12. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days it's ok Voodoofly, I haven't seen it either...

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 10, 2010

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Eh, there's no problem with the epilogue. Think of it like with Band of Brothers or The Pacific, it's not just to provide emotional heartstrings - it's to remind you that this is specifically not a fictional account and that these are real people. That's why he does them - when the stories are practically retellings, it's good to hammer home at the end that these people are here and now, and that it's not just fiction - as you tend to think of them too much as just "characters" when watching a film.

The Jews were specifically not played as innocent, either. The religious lines you speak of tend to blur when everyone is fighting for their life - ie. how several african tribes got along when first thrust into slavery, and then sectionated again after they got "used" to their new position in life. And it specifically showed their humanity, being choosers until they were complete beggars, and still refusing others shelter and such in stressful situations. It's just, in survival situations such as a liquidation or concentration camp, people do tend to come off as more "good" when on the short end of the stick, since they are essentially forced into being children/cattle.

Goeth tortured people daily and supposedly shot over 500 Jews personally, so, if anything, he was downplayed some.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I do agree that a segment was portrayed as something of turncoats but there was definitely an attempt to make them more clearly victims of external forces and possibly over simplifying (or outright ignoring) the conflicts leading to time of the film. Maybe it didn't need to be there, I am unsure. The problem here is I cannot imagine a better way to achieve the film beyond the epilogue, and that says a lot for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Bedevere, you watch E.T. because I want to hear your view on it after you've seen it. I for one couldn't disagree more and think it's one of the best movies about childhood ever made, but I'm sure there are those who disagree.

Watched Pather Panchali, and while I admired it, I didn't love it like everyone says I would. Not because I thought there was anything wrong with it necessarily, as there are sequences I really liked, my interest went a few times. It's a good movie, but I don't see myself revisiting it anytime soon.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid/The Sting- Newman and Redford were a hell of a team...so I hear, but I've seen neither of their movies together.

9. Badlands- I've loved the Malick films I've seen (Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line), and this one always intrigued me, but it only just occured to me that I haven't seen it.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali

meanmikhail fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 10, 2010