Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Someone Awful! posted:

I'm terrible about hearing about a movie, wanting to watch it, planning to watch it ... and then never watching it. As a result, I'm really, really film-illiterate! Like, I could probably count on two hands how many films I've seen that are older than I am, and this is depressing.

Seeing this kind of a post is really exciting. You have a great list and this thread is a wonderful opportunity for you to expand your horizons and get caught up on things. I really wish I had elected to watch my selection today, after all. Either way, all the best as you begin this odyssey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Someone Awful! - Welcome to the thread. Start with North by Northwest. It's not my favorite off the list (although it is great), but it seems like the most essential.
Cold weather means I get to stay in and watch a lot of movies. I watched The Fugitive tonight, and found it to be quite enjoyable. I had seen bits and pieces of this on tv before, but I had never watched the entire movie. I really hadn't even seen too much of this one, as a lot of the more well-known clips (the bus escape, the drat scene) happen early in this movie. Richard Kimble (Harrison Ford) is wrongly convicted of killing his wife, and sent to prison. Kimble insists it was a man with a mechanical man, and escapes from the bus en route to prison. US Marshall Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones) is tasked with finding Kimble. There's an interesting game of cat and mouse going on between Kimble and Gerard throughout the movie. In some scenes it's really tense, which is quite the accomplishment as you know Kimble's true enemy is the real murderer of his wife and you can sense the inevitable showdown between those two. It helps that Kimble is a bit more vulnerable than some of the characters that Ford is known for playing. The movie does tend to lag a bit towards the end though. I would have done away with the character of Dr. Nichols. He added an extra layer of conspiracy, but it really seemed unnecessary. The critique against big-pharm really seemed to come out of nowhere, and the backstory regarding that is added right after.Maybe I missed the clues towards this? Sykes (the one-armed man) could have been an effective villain on his own. Overall that's a minor quibble though, and this was a good movie.

The List of Shame

1. Lolita: I've seen almost all of Kubrick's offerings, but I have not yet seen this teen sex romp.

2. Gaslight: This is one of the more famous noirs, so I feel I need to see it.

3. Ocean's Eleven (1960): I've seen the remake a bunch of times - let's see how the original one is.

4. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: I don't know much about this one aside from the fact that the protagonist is a fugitive. From a chain gang.

5. The Crow: I used to have the soundtrack to this, but I've never watched it. It's been right at the front of my instant watch queue for a year now, but I just can't bother to watch it.

6. Blow-Up: This is supposed to be one of the game-changing movies that helped influence the New Hollywood era. It's probably time I watch it

7. Pan's Labyrinth: I haven't been a fan of the GDT movies that I've seen. Will this make me change my mind on the director?

8. The Great Escape: What's so great about it?

9. Oldboy: I plan on seeing the remake, so it will be interesting to compare/contrast

10. Dirty Harry: From what I understand of this movie I'll hate the politics behind it. Still, it may be entertaining and worth watching

Un-shamed in 2013: The Grapes of Wrath, Yojimbo, The Sixth Sense, Forbidden Planet, Cool Hand Luke, Easy Rider, It Happened one Night, Donnie Brasco, Fargo, Enter the Dragon, The Big Sleep, Adam's Rib, Animal House, Quiz Show, The Man with the Golden Arm, Strangers on a Train, Singin' in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, The Time Machine, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Seven Year Itch, The Deer Hunter, City Lights, The Prestige, Five Easy Pieces, Some Like it Hot, Snatch, True Lies, The Seventh Seal, Amelie, The Magnificent Ambersons, Escape from New York, Witness for the Prosecution, Life is Beautiful, Brazil, Clash of the Titans, Gone With the Wind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Bicycle Thief, Once Upon a Time in America, Con Air, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Cinema Paradiso, Life of Pi, The Abyss, The 400 Blows, Good Will Hunting, The Fugitive

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Kimble insists it was a man with a mechanical man...

Like a terminator?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Someone Awful! posted:

4) North by Northwest (1959): Since we ditched cable I've been watching a ton of Alfred Hitchcock Presents but I've never seen a Hitchcock film. What is wrong with me.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! This is exciting. Prepare to have your world rocked.

Also, I swear I'm going to watch Gone With the Wind eventually and jump back into this, I just don't have time for a 4 hour epic this semester. Although I have watched a few others off my list in the meantime.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Someone Awful - I'm excited for you. Enjoy all these classic films!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

9. Oldboy: I plan on seeing the remake, so it will be interesting to compare/contrast

You best watch this now as we're days away from the remake being released! Enjoy!

The Music Room
FINALLY! After adding it to my shame list 11 months ago, it's finally been selected - and I feel like I bit off more than I could chew. I feel a strong need to go do some research on the culture, including the language, different musical instruments, and the musicians who performed. What can universally be loved is the excellent lead performance from Chhabi Biswas and the exquisite cinematography from Subrata Mitra. Besides those 3 big musical numbers, the slow pan around the empty music room is something I'll always remember.

LIST

Le Doulos (2013.08.06) - I've only watched Le Samourai which I loved.... I must consume more Melville.

Grand Illusion **new** (2013.11.21) - I know nothing about this movie other than it's a classic and that I'm long overdue.

The Last Picture Show (2013.09.23) - early Jeff Bridges?? Absolutely! Plus I need to put a bigger dent in this BBS Collection.

Lone Star (2013.08.06) - heard plenty of great things, love Chris Cooper & loved his work in Sayles' earlier film Matewan.

The Magnificient Ambersons (2013.05.04) - I claim to be a big Welles fan yet have not watched his follow up to Citizen Kane.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (2013.05.20) - that face keeps staring at me...

The Spirit of the Beehive (2013.08.08) - I've consistently heard great things about this one.. know nothing other than that.

The Taste of Cherry (2013.05.04) - loved Close-up, Certified Copy, & Like Someone in Love. I want more!

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (2013.11.19) - I loved Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly, plus Bette Davis & Joan Crawford? Need I say more?

Witness For The Prosecution (2013.06.02) - this list, and my life, always could use more Wilder.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), [Total:51]

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I was chatting with a buddy one time about something or another, I don't recall exactly, but the conversation got to me saying something about a robot who doesn't know that it's a robot; at which point his roommate, overhearing our conversation, chimes in with :v: "Oh, you mean like in Bladerunner, right?!" To which I respond, :saddowns: "I haven't seen Bladerunner yet."

So Bladerunner.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Friendo55, I looked up your list and The Spirit of the Beehive sounds absolutely fascinating to me. Go watch that, because now I want to get my hands on it too.

Thanks, guys. :3: I really am excited to get started, and it's cold as hell around here so I got myself all comfy and scratched the first one off my list.

And what a start it was! North By Northwest (1958) was easily the best way to kick this off that I could've asked for. The pacing felt absolutely flawless, tense and snappy with not a moment wasted -- it caught me up within the first ten minutes. Wow. :allears: It was a lot more fun than I expected. Cary Grant's character felt really James Bond meets Mad Men, with the constant quipping, which was great. Everything was also beautifully shot; in the cornfield scene especially I just had to stop and go :aaa: at what I was watching. I can't remember the last time I've had that kind of feeling watching a (non-animated, at least) movie. You could see the care that went into every shot, and I could look at it forever.

So yeah, I'm sold. Great movie. Can't wait for the next.

Here we go again!

1) Unforgiven (1992): I haven't watched many Westerns, but I've liked the ones I've seen.

2) Platoon (1986) For some reason I've always avoided war films. Time to fix that.

3) 12 Angry Men (1957): I have no justification for not having watched this, it sounds right up my alley.

4) New! Jurassic Park (1993): I randomed this up and gawked for a whole minute as I realized I somehow escaped the 90s without being eaten by a dinosaur watching this.

5) The Departed (2005): With this cast I should have already seen this, but nope.

6) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975): Another I know I'd enjoy, have always meant to watch, but just... didn't.

7) The Maltese Falcon (1941): I've never seen a true noir or a Bogart film. This is a cry for help.

8) Django Unchained (2012): I haven't seen any of Tarantino's latest films, even though I love everything he's done that I've watched.

9) Léon: The Professional (1994): Have been hearing a lot of talk about this lately but don't really know anything about it.

10) Toy Story (1995): I watched this in theaters, actually! But I was really young and remember nothing except for the "falling with style" joke so I don't think it counts.

Unashamed!: North By Northwest (1958)

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Someone Awful! you get Unforgiven next

Well, Who Framed Roger Rabbit was certainly entertaining. The blending of animation and live action still hold up really well. It also stands up against some of the better film noirs that are out there. Much more than a kid's movie, there's a real harder edge to a lot of the goings-on that I could imagine being terrified if I saw this when I was little. The Judge is just one creepy dude. Also, how did they get the rights to have all these characters in the same movie?

1) Le Deuxieme Souffle- love that Melville
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) Around The World in 80 Days- working on the Best Picture list
4) Bringing Up Baby- I like early screwball comedies
5) Gun Crazy- mmmm 1950s noir
6) Thief- another 80's thriller and the only Michael Mann I haven't seen
7) Stalag 17- I love all the Wilder I've seen so far
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Swing Time- last musical on the AFI top 100 I haven't seen
10) The Great Dictator- more Chaplin

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, For A Few Dollars More, Sanjuro, Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Philip Rivers posted:

I was chatting with a buddy one time about something or another, I don't recall exactly, but the conversation got to me saying something about a robot who doesn't know that it's a robot; at which point his roommate, overhearing our conversation, chimes in with :v: "Oh, you mean like in Bladerunner, right?!" To which I respond, :saddowns: "I haven't seen Bladerunner yet."

So Bladerunner.

It's not much of a spoiler, since your friend could be talking about any character. There's actually a lot of speculation about who's a robot and who's not, and it's deliberately kept ambiguous.

Was this your first post in the thread? If so, welcome, but you really should make a longer list (at least five, but ten seems to be standard). See the first post for more info.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

10) The Great Dictator- more Chaplin

Enjoy this thinly-veiled classic!

---

von Braun posted:

thegloaming: You will watch Gladiator next.

Gladiator was more than I expected. As a revenge story, I thought it worked quite well. As a space opera in Rome (there has to be a better term for that), it felt a little forced. I guess all the political scenes gave us reason to hate the villain more, so I can dig that. The action was superb, as was the set design and costumes.

---

List of Shame

**NEW** High Fidelity (2000) - I'm generally down for Cusack, and this one usually appears on the top of all of the cool people's lists. What have I been missing?

Y tu mamá también (2001) - Other than hearing "y tu mama tambien" slowly replace "your mom" as a sarcastic response among junior high students, I have no idea what this movie is about (I'm assuming it's not just about a mother). Coming of age? Road trip? I've enjoyed the few Cuarón films I've seen, so why not take a chance?

The Cat Returns (2002) - I loved Whisper of the Heart so much to have seen it twice, and I haven't been burned by Ghibli yet.

Dogville (2003) - Having seen enough von Trier to "get him," I think I'm ready for this slow, gradually troubling (supposedly) entry.

Hellboy (2004) - Let's put something fun on the list, already! Everything about this movie—Guillermo del Toro, Ron Perlman, the source material—seems up my alley. I might have to check out the sequel as well.

The New World: The Extended Cut (2005) - A friend of mine asked me to see this about 5 years ago. Maybe some lightly applied goon pressure can fix this? Regarding the film itself: the premise is obvious and I'm cautiously excited about another one of Malick's films.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Another of del Toro's that's slipped through the cracks, although I've had plenty of opportunities to see this one (I seem to recall even renting it once). I hear tell of creepy critters and wartime melancholy!

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) - Technically, I did see this, but here's the thing: I barely remember any of it, and it's supposedly really good. I'm pretty sure I was distracted and tired, and I possibly fell asleep during parts. Anyway, let's try approaching this again, with open eyes...

The Hurt Locker (2008) - Highly recommended; just another one I've never gotten around to. I like Bigelow; I even wrote a paper about her in college. I'm curious to see how her style has changed.

District 9 (2009) - This is the sort of thing I would just eat up just a year before it was released. However, once I found out about it, I was weary of all the hype. Now that everyone is bashing Blomkamp's latest effort (which I also haven't seen) and comparing it to this, my interest is seriously piqued for the first time.

Shame No More (30): Goodfellas / Lawrence of Arabia / The Godfather / The Godfather, Part II / The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly / The Incredibles / Casablanca / Aguirre, The Wrath of God / 12 Angry Men / A Clockwork Orange / A Fistfull of Dollars / Persona / Stalker / Rules of the Game / Fanny and Alexander / North by Northwest / Berlin Alexanderplatz (incomplete) / Raiders of the Lost Ark / Sunset Boulevard / Singin' in the Rain / Some Like It Hot / Akira / The Bridge on the River Kwai / Return of the King / City Lights / Full Metal Jacket / The Usual Suspects / Saving Private Ryan / City of God / Gladiator

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A list that only has movies released since 2000?!?!?! Whatever, just watch High Fidelity I guess.

Ordinary People: a really good movie. Simple, straightforward, effective. I wish it had been more of an epic or something - I want to know about the pasts of these characters, especially the mom. Show us something about why they are who they are rather than just who they are. Still, I'm a sucker for slice of life movies and this one does an excellent job of fitting in a great deal of drama without ever once sounding a false note, which is an achievement. A family of well-off white people in the suburbs whining about their problems and sometimes yelling at each other is always one step away from "high class soap opera" but this never for a moment felt like it was in danger of slipping, thanks entirely to the great performances by everyone involved, including Adam Baldwin who was in one scene and who I did not recognize. I feel like nothing I have to say more specifically about the movie itself is going to be very interesting, because where it mostly hit me was in its antiseptic visceral nature - that is, it gets right to the gut but since it's just a bunch of WASPs whining at each other nothing ever gets messy. Just living that, through the movie, is what made it good, and it was the unembellished style of the movie that let me live it via watching it, so there's not much to say.

1) Lost Weekend (1945) - Billy Wilder!

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Diabolique (1955) - Is this about the devil?

4) Zulu (1964) - Is this movie hella racist?

5) Female Trouble (1974) - I have a John Waters sized hole in my "films watched" history.

6) Body Heat (1981) - I want to see some Lawrence Kasdan that isn't Lucas-related.

7) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

8) Amores Perros (2000) - When I was in college, one of my roommates watched this with some friends of ours. I was nearby but not paying attention (I had headphones on) but afterwards I caught their reaction - our friends sounded uncomfortable by what they had just seen, and my roommate thought it was pretty good. My roommate has good taste and likes weird stuff, and these friends are ones that don't really go for the more out-there stuff, so on the off chance I dislike this at least it will potentially be interesting.

9) In the Mood for Love (2000) - I've been working my way through Wong Kar-wai. This one is next.

10) Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - In honor of thegloaming's post right above the post where I'm first adding this to my list, here is a movie released recently. People always pick the really new movies on my list so I'm tempting fate by seeing how long this will last. I like Kathryn Bigelow's other stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Japanese Summer: Double Suicide: An absurdist introduction, very dramatic middle part and an intense ending. The three nihilists did a very good job at representing their motives, it was almost off putting. It didn't feel very forced at all, very smooth and natural. Along the way they all got what they wanted.

First movie I have seen by this director, I thought it was okay all in all. But it made me feel like I want to watch more by him.

3/5
-----

TychoCelchuuu: Watch Diabolique. I want to see it myself sometime.

1. The Haunted Strangler (Robert Day)
Boris Karloff's characters just seem so haunting that I can't resist.

2. Slacker
The premise for this film is interesting.

3. The Uninvited
Older horror films is something I enjoy quite a bit.

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. Sátántangó
I have been interested in this one for years and Bela Tarr and I never saw Horse of Turin. I hope it's worth the time commitment.

6. A Woman Under the Influence
Recently stumbled over this on a movie site and it caught my eye.

7. Harakiri
Just want to see more Japanese cinema!

8. Band of Outsiders
A basic French new-wave film I have never gotten around to watching.

9. Vampyr
On my old list this was included, but there is still something that drags me towards it.

10. Mouchette
I just love Bresson.

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas, 400 Blows, Häxan, Japanese Summer: Double Suicide,

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A list that only has movies released since 2000?!?!?! Whatever, just watch High Fidelity I guess.

That was the theme of my list. I plan to move to the 90s, then 80s, 70s, etc., but will probably bore of the idea before then. It's just a weird organizational device. :shrug:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Check out Vampyr I guess.

Diabolique is how you do a loving thriller. I'm not a huge fan of the whole let's make a whole movie about people loving with this poor woman genre but if you have to do it, you might as well do it well and keep people on the edge of their seats. I like how the context of the story is that it takes place at the school with all the kids around, and the other teachers, Discipline is a big theme there, what with the teachers always punishing the boys for whatever, which nicely mirrors the main plot, which is ultimately about this poor lady punishing herself to death for something she didn't even do. It makes you wonder who the responsibility for the punishment falls on, what the goal of the punishment is, and whether punishment is an effective practice. Does it do what we want it to do? This is underscored especially by the line from the inspector at the end when he reveals he's figured out the dastardly plan and that the perpetrators will get 15 years in prison or something. What a remarkably unhelpful and petty way of putting it given that the victim has just died 30 seconds ago! Couldn't you have done something to stop that? But no, his focus is punitive rather than preventative, and what he finds relevant is what will happen to the bad guys for doing what they did, not on the bad thing itself.

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Zulu (1964) - Is this movie hella racist?

4) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - I actually saw this when I was a pre-teen, and although I enjoyed it, my impression was that it was way too slow and more boring than it had to be, so in general it just went way over my head. It is, therefore, definitely time to revisit this and watch it with eyes equipped to see whatever's there.

5) Female Trouble (1974) - I have a John Waters sized hole in my "films watched" history.

6) Body Heat (1981) - I want to see some Lawrence Kasdan that isn't Lucas-related.

7) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

8) Amores Perros (2000) - When I was in college, one of my roommates watched this with some friends of ours. I was nearby but not paying attention (I had headphones on) but afterwards I caught their reaction - our friends sounded uncomfortable by what they had just seen, and my roommate thought it was pretty good. My roommate has good taste and likes weird stuff, and these friends are ones that don't really go for the more out-there stuff, so on the off chance I dislike this at least it will potentially be interesting.

9) In the Mood for Love (2000) - I've been working my way through Wong Kar-wai. This one is next.

10) Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - In honor of thegloaming's post right above the post where I'm first adding this to my list, here is a movie released recently. People always pick the really new movies on my list so I'm tempting fate by seeing how long this will last. I like Kathryn Bigelow's other stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), Diabolique (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm back & forth between these two fantastic stories, so I'll switch you from a foreign film in Les Diaboliques to Body Heat - an excellent neo-noir and one of my favourites.

The Spirit of the Beehive
A very similar experience to my last de-SHAMED film The Music Room, where it was absolutely beautiful and a simple elegant story, but I need to do some research to fully appreciate what the film is trying to say. Ana Torrent was incredible in the child role as Ana who's heavily influenced after watching the 1931 Frankenstein movie. There's so many moments here where I hit pause and wanted to frame that shot on my wall - in particular the ending! This would be a perfect sunday afternoon film to watch all curled up with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. I can't wait to revisit this again.

LIST

Cape Fear **new** (2013.11.23) - the Scorsese version to continue on with the "Pick A Director" thread.

Le Doulos (2013.08.06) - I've only watched Le Samourai which I loved.... I must consume more Melville.

Grand Illusion (2013.11.21) - I know nothing about this movie other than it's a classic and that I'm long overdue.

The Last Picture Show (2013.09.23) - early Jeff Bridges?? Absolutely! Plus I need to put a bigger dent in this BBS Collection.

Lone Star (2013.08.06) - heard plenty of great things, love Chris Cooper & loved his work in Sayles' earlier film Matewan.

The Magnificient Ambersons (2013.05.04) - I claim to be a big Welles fan yet have not watched his follow up to Citizen Kane.

The Taste of Cherry (2013.05.04) - loved Close-up, Certified Copy, & Like Someone in Love. I want more!

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (2013.11.19) - I loved Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly, plus Bette Davis & Joan Crawford? Need I say more?

Witness For The Prosecution (2013.06.02) - this list, and my life, always could use more Wilder.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), [Total:52]

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 25, 2013

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

Cape Fear **new** (2013.11.23) - the Scorsese version to continue on with the "Pick A Director" thread.

Normally I wouldn't pick the new one but it's a favorite and Robert De Niro as Max Cady might be his best role.

Tales of the Moon Obscured by Rainclouds - This reminded me of an extended version of the first segment from the film Kwaidan that I watched a few months back. A few guys want more out of life (money, power, fame...the usual stuff) so they start baking pottery in a kiln like crazy. They almost lose all of it when a group of raiders come by pillaging and looking to steal things and kidnap people. These are reoccurring themes I've seen in other Japanese films (and things always turn out badly in the end it seems).

Tobee also wants to be a samurai. It's kind of embarrassing watching him beg to join various clans. Finally, he has a fortuitous event that grants him his wish. Meanwhile, Genjuro meets a woman who loves the pottery so much that she wants to marry him. He agrees (even though he already has a wife and kid). It turns out that she is a ghost and is trying to steal his soul.

There's a lot of good quotations and sayings in this one. I can watch many films where no dialogue sticks out but some have lots of memorable stuff.

Also watched:

Pleasantville - I really liked the concept when things started unfolding but I think it was weakened because the same beat got hit over and over again and the execution also came across as messy. The concept of characters transitioning from B/W to color was good the first few times but after a while I found it a too simplistic us vs. them diatribe against 1950s TV.

It loosely fits in with others of the late 90s like The Matrix, Dark City and The Thirteenth Floor. But probably most similarly to Stay Tuned from 1992. A literary comparison could be drawn also with The Giver (the Lois Lowry novel that seems to be a staple for public schools in my locale at least).

It's interesting how things go in cycles because if released today I think a lot would want to live and stay in Pleasantville rather than try to escape its mundanity. The filmmakers make Big Bob out as a staunch patriarchal authoritarian to oversell him as the villain but in 2013 US I think a lot would prefer fake perfection, prosperity and predictability etc. compared to a slew of problems and colorfulness. Infidelity, promiscuity and confusion are virtues?

Put this sentiment out now and David (Tobey Maguire) and Jennifer (Reese Witherspoon) might be the villains. Invaders bringing forbidden knowledge that introduces fire, rain and social upheaval. The other odd point of contention between the B/W and R/G/B people was Bill Johnson's (Jeff Daniels) continuous display of large nude murals featuring local married women outside his soda shop to express himself. Yes, the ignorant villagers just don't understand. As if that'd fly in any colorful town anywhere.

Near the end a pretty dull courtroom scene is shown with David being victorious over the B/W automatons. The ending brings David back home out of the TV show while Jennifer remains behind (she acknowledges that she still hasn't screwed up TV land as much as her real life). I wonder how David will explain Jennifer's absence to his mother.

PS I miss Don Knotts.

The Thin Blue Line - If you're looking for ultimate truth and justice you came to the wrong planet. I've seen many crime reenactment shows before but the difference here is the craftsmanship. The attention to detail and the Philip Glass score are memorable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3C8zr2lQaM

The focus is on David Harris and Randall Adams and the imperfections of the courts. I've read and seen much on the failings of courts before so I found that aspect secondary. Just another court case with a bunch of jerks and opportunists lying in their own self-interest and a completely innocent guy getting put on death row for it.

Primarily what I got out of this was a reminder of how dangerous it is to hang around stupid people (David Harris in this case). By mere association you can get thrown under the bus or be an accessory to the idiocy of others. I've seen this cautionary tale happen dozens of times before on the A&E series The First 48.

The other aspect that sticks out are the proud police they interviewed who came across as oblivious to how wrong they were. I would've liked to see the actual trial to see how things were manipulated.

It's somewhat obvious that Harris is lying even in the interview. He has the classic duping delight smirk on his face throughout the interview. We end with the not shocking Sony Microcassette Recorder confession from David Harris. Errol Morris should crank one of these out every year.

Procrastination (84 completed):

#84 Audition - Another seasonal selection. 10/30/13

#85 Barbarella - "Everything and anything to do with Hanoi Jane should be BURNED and erased from history. She is a traitor to our country and the POW's she betrayed. She should be hanged to the point of strangulation and not neck breaking until shes dead, dead, DEAD!" -Anonymous Netflix Reviewer 11/8/13

#87 Jesus Christ Superstar - Another one that's currently on Netflix instant. 11/14/13

#88 The Final Countdown - "What if a 1980s American aircraft carrier (with its modern firepower) time-warped back to Pacific waters just outside Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941? That's the intriguing premise behind this sci-fi adventure that stars Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen." I don't know how this ended up on my Netflix queue. 11/14/13

#89 The Lady Vanishes - I think this has been remade a few times. 11/17/13

new #90 Amistad - I remember this getting a lot of press at its release but I haven't heard anything about it recently. 11/23/13

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Something about 1980s whales. 10/12/13

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (29/46 completed):

2003 Monster - Based on a true story. 10/12/13

new 1997 Eve's Bayou - Don't know much about this. 11/23/13

new 1995 Leaving Las Vegas - Been seen by some here recently. 11/23/13

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Show us something about why they are who they are rather than just who they are.

It's been over a year since I saw it but was the flashback to the boat accident supposed to explain most if it? That's what I'm remembering at least.

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

...I could imagine being terrified if I saw this when I was little. The Judge is just one creepy dude. Also, how did they get the rights to have all these characters in the same movie?

Yea, it's one of the first films that really got me into watching them. The Judge's transformation near the end was amazing. It was a miracle they got all those characters too.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 24, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zogo posted:

It's been over a year since I saw it but was the flashback to the boat accident supposed to explain most if it? That's what I'm remembering at least.
I was talking about the parents.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I was talking about the parents.

Yea, I thought you were. I thought they were affected by the accident but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I thought they liked the dead son more.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zogo posted:

Yea, I thought you were. I thought they were affected by the accident but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I thought they liked the dead son more.
Well, yes, that had an impact obviously, but the parents (and the son) were who they were before that, too. It's not like they didn't exist or didn't act the way they acted before that.

Since I just suggested Jesus Christ Superstar in another thread you can watch that.

Body Heat was pretty good. As neo-noir goes I think it's far too self-consciously noir for its own good - it would've been nice to be surprised by something. As it stands the main difference between this and any old noir you pick out of a hat is that it's the '80s and people are getting naked. I did get a kick out of William Hurt pulling out a cigarette every time he paused while he was out jogging.

3) Zulu (1964) - Is this movie hella racist?

4) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - I actually saw this when I was a pre-teen, and although I enjoyed it, my impression was that it was way too slow and more boring than it had to be, so in general it just went way over my head. It is, therefore, definitely time to revisit this and watch it with eyes equipped to see whatever's there.

6) Time of the Gypsies (1988) - What is the time of the Gypsies? Is it the 80s?

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), Diabolique (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Body Heat (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

TychoCelchuuu, Amores Perros sounds really interesting to me, so I'll make you watch that.

Unforgiven (1992) feels like a response to other Clint Eastwood movies or the Western genre in general. I think after I've gotten a lot more Westerns under my belt I'll have to rewatch this and appreciate it on a different level. Even so, this was still a great drama with amazing performances by everyone involved. It does a good job of decrying the glorification of violence without getting preachy; the scene near the end, where the kid breaks down after killing a man is especially pitch-perfect. And man, this movie was just bleak to look at in the best way. Loved it.

Here we go again!

1) New! John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) I really dig the Carpenter I've watched, so why haven't I seen this yet? :iiam:

2) Platoon (1986) For some reason I've always avoided war films. Time to fix that.

3) 12 Angry Men (1957): I have no justification for not having watched this, it sounds right up my alley.

4) Jurassic Park (1993): I randomed this up and gawked for a whole minute as I realized I somehow escaped the 90s without being eaten by a dinosaur watching this.

5) The Departed (2005): With this cast I should have already seen this, but nope.

6) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975): Another I know I'd enjoy, have always meant to watch, but just... didn't.

7) The Maltese Falcon (1941): I've never seen a true noir or a Bogart film. This is a cry for help.

8) Django Unchained (2012): I haven't seen any of Tarantino's latest films, even though I love everything he's done that I've watched.

9) Léon: The Professional (1994): Have been hearing a lot of talk about this lately but don't really know anything about it.

10) Toy Story (1995): I watched this in theaters, actually! But I was really young and remember nothing except for the "falling with style" joke so I don't think it counts.

Unashamed!: North By Northwest (1958), Unforgiven (1992)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Watch The Maltese Falcon.

Amores Perros was harrowing. I appreciate the effort it went through to make everything believable - every little bit of drama worked perfectly because never once did anything the characters said or did ring false.

3) Electra (1962) - I saw Kakogiannis' Iphigenia and loved it, so more Greek tragedy is just what the doctor ordered.

4) Zulu (1964) - Is this movie hella racist?

5) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - I actually saw this when I was a pre-teen, and although I enjoyed it, my impression was that it was way too slow and more boring than it had to be, so in general it just went way over my head. It is, therefore, definitely time to revisit this and watch it with eyes equipped to see whatever's there.

6) Female Trouble (1974) - I have a John Waters sized hole in my "films watched" history.

7) Time of the Gypsies (1988) - What is the time of the Gypsies? Is it the 80s?

8) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), Diabolique (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Amores Perros (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Body Heat (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
TychoCelchuuu - go with Lost Weekend.

Oldboy was a pretty good movie. It's about a man who is held prisoner in a hotel room for 15 years without knowing who his captor is or why he is being held. The plot is quite good, and with lots of twists and turns as the mystery unravels. The movie is really stylish, and feels like something you'd expect from Fincher or Aranofsky. There's some really neat dream/hallucination scenes in this one. It was really violent though, and the scenes involving teeth pulling were especially difficult to watch. The romance in this one is pretty creepy too, thanks to one of the plot twists. Overall it was a good movie though, and it'll be interesting to see how the remake stacks up.

The List of Shame

1. Lolita: I've seen almost all of Kubrick's offerings, but I have not yet seen this teen sex romp.

3. Ocean's Eleven (1960): I've seen the remake a bunch of times - let's see how the original one is.

4. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: I don't know much about this one aside from the fact that the protagonist is a fugitive. From a chain gang.

5. The Crow: I used to have the soundtrack to this, but I've never watched it. It's been right at the front of my instant watch queue for a year now, but I just can't bother to watch it.

6. Blow-Up: This is supposed to be one of the game-changing movies that helped influence the New Hollywood era. It's probably time I watch it

7. Pan's Labyrinth: I haven't been a fan of the GDT movies that I've seen. Will this make me change my mind on the director?

8. The Great Escape: What's so great about it?

9. Dirty Harry: From what I understand of this movie I'll hate the politics behind it. Still, it may be entertaining and worth watching

10. Mean Streets: This one always seems to be overlooked when people talk about Scorcese

Un-shamed in 2013: The Grapes of Wrath, Yojimbo, The Sixth Sense, Forbidden Planet, Cool Hand Luke, Easy Rider, It Happened one Night, Donnie Brasco, Fargo, Enter the Dragon, The Big Sleep, Adam's Rib, Animal House, Quiz Show, The Man with the Golden Arm, Strangers on a Train, Singin' in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, The Time Machine, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Seven Year Itch, The Deer Hunter, City Lights, The Prestige, Five Easy Pieces, Some Like it Hot, Snatch, True Lies, The Seventh Seal, Amelie, The Magnificent Ambersons, Escape from New York, Witness for the Prosecution, Life is Beautiful, Brazil, Clash of the Titans, Gone With the Wind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Bicycle Thief, Once Upon a Time in America, Con Air, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Cinema Paradiso, Life of Pi, The Abyss, The 400 Blows, Good Will Hunting, The Fugitive, Oldboy

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Been on your list a while.

Jesus Christ Superstar - There isn't much exposition as it's mostly lively and emotional singing. Most music of today is dissimilar to a rough electric guitar, booming piano and belted out vocals. e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF2lwwxoQNU

The story plays out with a Judas vs. Jesus dynamic. There's some anachronisms that are humorous but it seems to bring out the idea that religious adherents are usually dominated by the culture and time they're in.

There's plenty of extreme long shots showing large landscapes and also many scenes starting out really out of focus before coming into focus.

Procrastination (85 completed):

#85 Barbarella - "Everything and anything to do with Hanoi Jane should be BURNED and erased from history. She is a traitor to our country and the POW's she betrayed. She should be hanged to the point of strangulation and not neck breaking until shes dead, dead, DEAD!" -Anonymous Netflix Reviewer 11/8/13

#88 The Final Countdown - "What if a 1980s American aircraft carrier (with its modern firepower) time-warped back to Pacific waters just outside Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941? That's the intriguing premise behind this sci-fi adventure that stars Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen." I don't know how this ended up on my Netflix queue. 11/14/13

#90 Amistad - I remember this getting a lot of press at its release but I haven't heard anything about it recently. 11/23/13

new #91 Ninotchka - I've never seen an Ernst Lubitsch film. 11/25/13

1997 Eve's Bayou - Don't know much about this. 11/23/13

1995 Leaving Las Vegas - Been seen by some here recently. 11/23/13

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Someone Awful! posted:

This is an absolutely egregious oversight on your part. I will shame the poo poo out of you until you watch this, it's possibly my favorite movie of all time. Jack's performance is absolutely unbelievable, and the rest of the cast is just as good. I can never remember the actress who plays Nurse Ratched, but she's so wonderfully creepy in this very collected way. Go watch it!

I guess I should do a proper list this time:

1) Blade Runner - I mentioned that I had this incidentally spoiled for me, but I guess it wasn't that big of a spoiler, so my interest is renewed.

2) Adaptation - I've been on a kick of catching up on early 2000's gems I missed when I was younger, and after Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine, this is the biggest still-to-watch title on my list. Plus Nick Cage rules.

3) Being John Malkovich - I've seen bits and pieces of this one, but I don't really remember much about it aside from it being thoroughly bizarre.

4) Terminator - I'm a big Arnie fan, and I know for a fact I would love the poo poo out of this movie. On a side note, why is Terminator 2 on Netflix but not the first one?

5) Oldboy - This is a movie I don't really know much about at all, but I hear the title all the time around these parts. I guess it's violent and people die or something?

6) Princess Mononoke - Or any/all of the Miyazaki films, really. I'm not necessarily an anime fan, but I'm definitely an animation fan. Spirited Away is still one of the most gorgeous films I've ever seen.

7) Yojimbo - I'm a little aware of the samurai/Western crossover genre (I watched Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven one time back to back), and I hear this is just an all around stellar film. So this is number seven!

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm not a huge film buff but I'm starting to watch more, and I'd love to remedy some of these!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Philip Rivers posted:

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm not a huge film buff but I'm starting to watch more, and I'd love to remedy some of these!

Always remember to pick for the person who posted a list immediately before you (it's okay if you haven't seen any of my ten).

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Zogo posted:

Always remember to pick for the person who posted a list immediately before you (it's okay if you haven't seen any of my ten).

Then go watch Barbarella, ya dope!

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Philip Rivers posted:

3) Being John Malkovich - I've seen bits and pieces of this one, but I don't really remember much about it aside from it being thoroughly bizarre.

I love this movie, and the first time watching it was really something. Of course I was 14 and it had just come out...but the fact remains that it was very memorable.

"Your questions are much more revealing about yourself than my answers would be about me."

The Passenger is really good. I'm relatively new to Antonioni, having only seen Blow-Up prior to this, but I think we're going to have a wonderful relationship. For those who want everything spelled out immediately upon something happening, it will be a chore. If you're patient and enjoy a slowly unraveling story, this will be very appealing. The method of revealing how Locke and Robertson came to meet at the hotel is really well integrated. It eschews the obvious, and allows for nuance to fill in the blanks. The above quote seems like a general challenge to the audience as well.

It's also wonderfully photographed. Nicholson is more subdued than I've seen him. He's lost and disillusioned. At first it seems like he simply needs a new direction, maybe a change of career or scenery. It doesn't take long, however, to realize that a new identity is not going to solve his growing malaise.

Considering Criterion's tendency to release Antonioni's films, I hope this gets picked up at some point.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - Pandora's Box (1928) - Know next to nothing about it except a former co-worker was enamored by it.

1930s - L'Atalante (1934) - Rolling through some classics that have been on my periphery.

1940s - Monsieur Verdoux (1947) - Later Chaplin, I've heard mixed things.

1950s - Ashes and Diamonds (1958) - Wajda has been on my radar for a while now. Time to pull the trigger.

1960s - Z (1969) - Political thrillers are my cup of tea and I loved Costa-Gavras' Missing.

1970s - The King of Marvin Gardens (1972) -I've had the BBS box set for a good long while now, I think two years, and I haven't gotten through it all.

1980s - The Goonies (1985) - Whenever this one comes up, I just don't say anything because I don't want to be shunned by my friends who love it. Let's fix this.

1990s - Europa (1991) - Lars von Trier is a fascinating filmmaker and I would like to see more of his earlier work. I've caught Anti-Christ, Melancholia and Dogville but his only pre-2000 work I've seen is The Kingdom.

2000 and up - George Washington (2000) - The only film by David Gordon Green I have seen is Pineapple Express. Apparently his early films are nothing like that.

Bonus/Random - Dersu Uzala (1975) - Kurosawa film with a story I've been fascinated by but never watched.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger (TOTAL: 147)

John Wilkes Couth
Feb 23, 2010
Ratedargh, you're watching The Goonies. It's one of my childhood favorites and the only movie on your list that I've personally watched.

LIST:

Goodfellas (1990) - I can quote more lines from this movie than almost any other movie that I've actually seen. There is a copy of this hiding somewhere in my house.

Reservoir Dogs (1992) - I'm getting sick of the look of disappointment from real Tarantino fans any time I mention that I'm a Tarantino fan and can't hide the fact that I haven't seen this movie

Rubber (2010) - Recommended to me by a few friends, sounds right up my alley from what I've heard.

A Clockwork Orange (1971) - Despite Kubrick being one of my favorite directors, I just haven't gotten around to watching this one.

Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - Regret not having time to see it in theaters, have heard only good things.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly (1966) - I remember really liking Westerns as a teenager. I also liked Linkin Park as a teenager so we'll see where this takes us.

Vampire's Kiss (1988) - Something tells me I might feel more shame after watching this, but Nick Cage's overacting has been a guilty pleasure of mine since before The Wicker Man made its way onto youtube.

Labyrinth (1986) - This gets alluded to way too much in my circle of friends and I'm sick and tired of not getting it.

Groundhog Day (1993) - Bill Murray is my hero.

Enter the Dragon (1973) - The most iconic movie of the most iconic kung-fu movie star.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

John Wilkes Couth posted:

Goodfellas (1990) - I can quote more lines from this movie than almost any other movie that I've actually seen. There is a copy of this hiding somewhere in my house.

Groundhog Day (1993) - Bill Murray is my hero.

Hmm... you have a copy of Goodfellas already so that'd be easiest to recommend - plus I just finished a Scorsese movie myself. But I gotta go with Groundhog Day. Your opinion of Bill Murray shouldn't change a bit.

Cape Fear
Robert De Niro gives his second best performance of his career here (behind Rupert Pupkin in Scorsese's earlier film The King of Comedy) as Max Cady - a rapist, sentenced to 14 years in prison, gets released and targets his former lawyer Sam Bowden (Nick Nolte) and his family. De Niro's performance surpasses the film for me. Many serious moments dragged on too long and felt comedic, certain acting was over the top, and there were tonal shifts that took me right out of the moment. Also, seeing Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum in supporting roles was a nice tribute but made me want to turn this off and find the original 1962 version!

LIST

Grand Illusion (2013.11.21) - I know nothing about this movie other than it's a classic and that I'm long overdue.

Quiz Show **new** (2013.11.26) - I haven't really had any desire to watch it, even though many people have recommended it to me.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), [Total:53]

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Vampyr: I was quite disappointed by this, since Dreyer has made some of my favorite films. It just wasn't very gripping, quite boring actually. Slow moving, and the characters felt flat. I tried to stay focused but it was hard. I don't know, it wasn't very good. Some good effects, though.

2/5
-----

friendo55: Joan of Arc is one of my favourite movies of all time.

2. Slacker

3. The Uninvited

No real excuse here.

5. Sátántangó
I have been interested in this one for years and Bela Tarr and I never saw Horse of Turin. I hope it's worth the time commitment.

7. Harakiri

8. Band of Outsiders
A basic French new-wave film I have never gotten around to watching.

9. The Thin Red Line
Every since my World War II obsessed days, I have wanted to see this.

10. Mouchette
I just love Bresson.

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas, 400 Blows, Häxan, Japanese Summer: Double Suicide, Vampyr,

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
von Braun, you get Band of Outsiders

Once I got over the initial shock of a talking Chaplin film, I enjoyed The Great Dictator. It had some great laugh out loud gags and barely disguised social commentary. After reading a bit more about it afterwards, I discovered that no one in the U.S. was really speaking out against Germany or fascism when it was released which made it a little more impressive of an undertaking. It also feels like a precursor to every Mel Brooks film ever made.

1) Le Deuxieme Souffle- love that Melville
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
4) Bringing Up Baby- I like early screwball comedies
5) Gun Crazy- mmmm 1950s noir
6) Thief- another 80's thriller and the only Michael Mann I haven't seen
7) Stalag 17- I love all the Wilder I've seen so far
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Swing Time- last musical on the AFI top 100 I haven't seen
10) Our Hospitality- oh that Buster Keaton

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, For A Few Dollars More, Sanjuro, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Great Dictator

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Try this next.

Barbarella - What a strange future world is presented in this one. This was released in the US six months after 2001: A Space Odyssey and I'm sure some saw both that year for an interesting dichotomy.

The story and sets are dreamy and cartoony and it wavers between some dystopian and utopian themes. Society on Earth has moved past conventional sex. Space travel seems simpler and things are more convenient until Barbarella begins her search for Durand-Durand (the villain who inspired Duran Duran). The ship has carpeting and Barbarella herself has an impressive wardrobe.

I won't go into the whole story but at one point Durand-Durand uses a large terminal of some sort that looks like the ones Fox News started using a few months back:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/7/4812630/fox-news-shepard-smith-news-deck

Dino De Laurentiis was a producer of this one and I've seen his name a lot in other film credits.

Procrastination (86 completed):

#90 Amistad - I remember this getting a lot of press at its release but I haven't heard anything about it recently. 11/23/13

#91 Ninotchka - I've never seen an Ernst Lubitsch film. 11/25/13

new #92 The Hunt - Newer popular one. 11/27/13

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 28, 2013

Sandwich Bender
Mar 4, 2004

Zogo, I haven't seen a single film on your list but I too have been curious about The Hunt, so watch that and tell us what you think of it.

I posted earlier this year with a list of absolute classics and I was quickly and justifiably shamed. I have since watched most of that list. Here are quick reviews of each:

Casablanca: Soundtrack to Mary told me to watch this eight months ago, saying that it had a bit of everything, and he/she was right. It was funny, tense, and just drat cool. I can definitely understand why it's considered one of the best films of all time.

Taxi Driver: One of my new favorite films. I love vigilante movies so it was a treat to see such an early, influential one. It’s funny, De Niro is considered an acting great but I never really experienced it because I’m mainly seen his newer, shittier movies. Now I get it. He’s terrific.

Psycho: Anthony Perkins is so loving good and creepy. Despite knowing pretty much all of the twists, it was still great.

The Princess Bride: A really goofy, weird movie in the best way possible. Its cult status makes sense: it’s not the best movie I’ve seen, but it has a really unique appeal. Also good thing I had subtitles because I couldn’t understand a word that Andre the Giant said.

2001: A Space Odyssey: loving incredible. The fact that this movie was made in the 60s blows my feeble mind. If I didn’t have poo poo to do, I wouldn’t watched it all over again the second it was over. At the top of my rewatch list. Beautifully shot, haunting movie with what feels like layers upon layers. The kind of deeper meaning that makes me wish I wasn’t so goddamn stupid.

Okay, my new list! I’m straying from the rules juuuust a bit and I hope no one minds terribly. I’m visiting family and I’d like to take advantage of my stepdad’s DVD collection, so some of these movies are based on availability more than actual shame. That said, almost all of them I’ve wanted to watch at some point or another.

1. Blade Runner – From my old list. A friend actually bought me the crazy collector’s edition dealy DVD some time ago. If you recommend this, please tell me which cut to watch.

2. Once Upon a Time in the West – Every time I watch a western I’m reminded how much I love the genre, but I just don’t watch enough of it.

3. The Exorcist – Honestly, I avoided this movie for years because I thought it would freak me out too much. I’ve since watched a ton of horror that people insist is terrifying and yet none of it bothers me, so I guess I’m a man’s man. I also loving LOVE horror, so I should probably see this. My stepdad seems to have the director’s cut. Is that okay to watch for first-time viewing?

4. The Abyss – I’ve always wanted to see this, but I realize as I type this that I have no clue what it’s about. Still want to see it, though.

5. Misery – Again, I love horror, Stephen King especially. Always caught bits and pieces of this growing up. I’ve heard nothing but great things.

6. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid – I’m not SUPER excited to see this, but I guess that’s sort of the point of this thread. I’ve always heard good things and I really like Robert Redford.

7. Bullitt – This is a movie that for some reason I shift between wanting to see and forgetting it exists. I loving forget Steve McQueen exists for like years at a time. It’s weird. I love action and old action has a particularly awesome flair to it.

8. The Towering Inferno – Disaster flicks are just rad. They’re so exciting!

9. The Wild Bunch – This is one of the ones that I’m listing just because it’s here and well-known, but I have been wanting to check out some Peckinpah.

10. The Getaway – This is one here for pretty much the same reason as The Wild Bunch. Need more classic action and Peckinpah in my life.

De-shamed: Apocalypse Now, Casablanca, Psycho, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Princess Bride, Taxi Driver

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Band of Outsiders: Loved it. It felt so easy-going and had some realism themes that I liked a lot. The iconic dance scenes and the minute of silence felt like it was so bravely done because of how long they went on. First Godard and I think I'm off to a good start.

5/5
-----

Sandwich Bender: Check out Bullitt and never forget Steve McQueens coolness and good looks ever again!

2. Slacker

3. The Uninvited

No real excuse here.

5. Sátántangó

7. Harakiri

8. Vivre sa vie
Another Godard film.

9. The Thin Red Line
Every since my World War II obsessed days, I have wanted to see this.

10. Mouchette
I just love Bresson.

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas, 400 Blows, Häxan, Japanese Summer: Double Suicide, Vampyr, Band of Outsiders,

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

von Braun, you should watch The Thin Red Line, the non?war movie which puts all other war movies to shame.

----

First-timer here.

1. Hamlet (Laurence Oliver) - Strange, you'd think this would've been part of a public education.

2. Tokyo Story (Yasujiro Ozu) - It seems good, but maybe too quaint for me? Don't know until I try!

3. L'Atalante (Jean Vigo) - I'm super intrigued here, especially since the director's output is so small yet so famous.

4. Au Hasard Balthazar (Robert Bresson) - Seriously now, is this going to make me cry like a manchild?

5. Diabolique (Henri-Georges Clouzot) - Been saving this one for the right time; it looks loving cool.

6. Summer With Monika (Ingmar Bergman) - Looking forward to this after watching some of Bergman's chamber dramas.

7. Beauty and the Beast (Jean Cocteau) - This one looks pretty dreamlike, and after watching and reading Les Enfants Terribles I might be a believer in Cocteau.

8. Revanche (Gotz Spielmann) - I have no idea what this is about, but it's on my shelf.

9. Koyannisquatsi (Godfrey Reggio) - Something tells me this might be one hell of a montage.

10. The Lower Depths (Jean Renoir OR Akira Kurasawa) - Either way…this will probably be pretty depressing.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

second-hand smegma posted:

1. Hamlet (Laurence Oliver) - Strange, you'd think this would've been part of a public education.

Yea, I remember seeing a big chunk of the 1996 version in school but the 1948 version didn't feel aged or anything.

The Hunt - A nursery teacher (Lucas) is wrongfully accused of being a pedophile by a rebuffed and forlorn preschooler (Klara). Things go badly as Lucas is passive and doesn't strongly deny the accusations for some odd reason.

Things then worsen as the surrounding village is filled with idiotic characters: parents who believe children are incapable of lying, investigators who only ask incriminating leading questions, a gaggle of drunken buffoonish hunters, seven foot tall bullies. With this cast of characters it easily veers into "Lifetime movie" levels of melodrama a few times.

I think I would've found the second half more palatable had Lucas gone the Hobo with a Shotgun route rather than the passive Gandhi routine. Eventually he headbutts someone but it's only after he's nearly beaten to death for trying to buy a few groceries.

The genius villagers continue on by killing Fanny (Lucas dog) and later shooting at him during a hunting rite of passage for his son and then it's over.

I found it mainly to be aggravating. I guess the moral of the story might be to not show iPad porn to preschoolers? That seems to be the point of origin for this giant train wreck.

Procrastination (87 completed):

#91 Ninotchka - I've never seen an Ernst Lubitsch film. 11/25/13

new Casino Royale (1967) - A slight detour into comedy. 11/30/13

Sandwich Bender
Mar 4, 2004

Zogo, watch Eve's Bayou for the sole reason that you don't know what to expect. Those can be awesome experiences.

Bullitt! Someday I will watch Bullitt again, but for my first-time viewing I absolutely couldn't stand it. Maybe I'm in the wrong mood or maybe Steve McQueen and the infamous car chase had me expecting something different, but that movie moved at such an agonizing pace that I wanted to die. Piece-by-piece, there were things I liked, like the performances and the way it was shot, but the execution of it just bored me to tears. I even had trouble paying attention. It was rough. Someday when I'm the mood for a slow burn thriller I'll check it out again, but yikes.

1. Blade Runner – From my old list. A friend actually bought me the crazy collector’s edition dealy DVD some time ago. If you recommend this, please tell me which cut to watch.

2. Once Upon a Time in the West – Every time I watch a western I’m reminded how much I love the genre, but I just don’t watch enough of it.

3. The Exorcist – Honestly, I avoided this movie for years because I thought it would freak me out too much. I’ve since watched a ton of horror that people insist is terrifying and yet none of it bothers me, so I guess I’m a man’s man. I also loving LOVE horror, so I should probably see this. My stepdad seems to have the director’s cut. Is that okay to watch for first-time viewing?

4. The Abyss – I’ve always wanted to see this, but I realize as I type this that I have no clue what it’s about. Still want to see it, though.

5. Misery – Again, I love horror, Stephen King especially. Always caught bits and pieces of this growing up. I’ve heard nothing but great things.

6. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid – I’m not SUPER excited to see this, but I guess that’s sort of the point of this thread. I’ve always heard good things and I really like Robert Redford.

7. Oldboy - Spike Lee's remake hitting theaters rekindled my interest in the original. I heard it can be painful to watch, but I need to toughen up anyway.

8. The Towering Inferno – Disaster flicks are just rad. They’re so exciting!

9. The Wild Bunch – This is one of the ones that I’m listing just because it’s here and well-known, but I have been wanting to check out some Peckinpah.

10. The Getaway – This is one here for pretty much the same reason as The Wild Bunch. Need more classic action and Peckinpah in my life.

De-shamed: Apocalypse Now, Casablanca, Psycho, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Princess Bride, Taxi Driver. Bullitt

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Sandwich Bender posted:

I have the exact same issue! I always love a good western but they're never my first choice. Hope you love as much as I did.

The Passion of Joan of Arc
There are so many incredible close-ups of Renee Maria Falconetti who is, to put it lightly, completely convincing as Joan. With such attention given to her face and her reactions, there is little room for error and she absolutely owns this role. What's even more shocking is that it's her only screen credit! I watched it with the "Visions of Light" score and I wonder how the experience would change if I had watched it in silence (as that seems to be the preferred method).

LIST

Quiz Show (2013.11.26) - I haven't really had any desire to watch it, even though many people have recommended it to me.

Tokyo Story **new** (2013.12.01) - my bluray from Criterion just arrived in the mail which is the main reason why I've avoided this for so long.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), [Total:54]

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

friendo55 posted:

The Passion of Joan of Arc
There are so many incredible close-ups of Renee Maria Falconetti who is, to put it lightly, completely convincing as Joan. With such attention given to her face and her reactions, there is little room for error and she absolutely owns this role. What's even more shocking is that it's her only screen credit! I watched it with the "Visions of Light" score and I wonder how the experience would change if I had watched it in silence (as that seems to be the preferred method).

Falconetti's role is sometimes called the greatest performance in cinematic history. And I'm hard-pressed to think of a performance that proves that wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Falconetti's role is sometimes called the greatest performance in cinematic history. And I'm hard-pressed to think of a performance that proves that wrong.

It's certainly a bold statement to make! One could make the argument that there's more complexities in non-silent films with getting the dialogue & tone just right and no cutting to title cards - but of course a brilliant performance.
Off the top of my head: Emily Watson in Breaking the Waves, Daniel Day-Lewis in My Left Foot & There Will Be Blood, Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote, Elizabeth Taylor in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Robert Mitchum in The Night of the Hunter, and as a personal pick: Christian McKay in Me & Orson Welles.