Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TrixRabbi posted:

The Conformist blew me away,

I'm intrigued now and found this on Daily Motion if anyone's interested

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7p08lb

never heard of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Conformist absolutely rules and is easily one of the most well-shot films ever made, like top 5-10 of all time

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not gonna add it to my watch list but will check it out in my spare time. Yeah, the clips and the synopsis along with yours and TrixRabbi's glowing endorsement got me sold. Anyone posting in this thread knows what's up so I trust the recommendation.

Never even heard of this movie so thanks. I love great camera work as much as good acting so looking forward to it.

I assume it's cool to post random reviews here, right? Even if they're not assigned to me?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I personally would say absolutely! It’s not like this thread is busy enough that it would get in the way.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

The Passenger (1975) - On paper I know they're very different, but I always used to mix this up in my head with The Conformist for some reason. (Added 12/27/2023)

"Turn your back to the front seat."

The Best of Everything - This follows a few secretaries working at a book publisher in NYC in the 1950s. And how they must contend with both womanizing editors and a stern taskmaster (Joan Crawford). Imagine if Douglas Sirk directed The Devil Wears Prada (2006). Both of my Grandmothers were young office workers at this time and have stories similar to the stuff seen here.

This is one of those films that captures things from a bygone era: Typing tests, dictation, the apparel etc. I recently watched News From Home (1976) which is another one that captured the colorful clothing of its era well. The cast is mainly filled with hopeless romantics so things end with a flurry of drama bombs and twists.

James Bond versus Godzilla (51/66 completed):

Hesitation (155 completed):

#142 The Tin Drum - Sounds like an odd one but it has a lot of fans. 6/14/23

#153 The Ascent - I've heard only good things about this one. 9/6/23

#155 The Hidden - Sounds like a unique premise. 10/3/23

#158 Running on Empty - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQKvtbD6Kw 11/8/23

#160 The Spider's Stratagem - A political mystery from Bernardo Bertolucci. 11/20/23

#161 An Actor's Revenge - This one gets glowing reviews from the critics but doesn't get mentioned that often. 11/27/23

#162 The Naked Spur - Another Western with a good reputation. 12/20/23

#163 Will Penny - I must be in a Western mood. 12/26/23

new #164 The Ox-Bow Incident - Another Western I keep putting off. 1/1/24

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (49/50 completed):

Entertainment Weekly's Top 50 Cult Movies (49/50 completed):

#50 Faces of Death - Banned in 46 countries! This one will probably be very nasty. Just another roadblock to blast through to complete another list. 9/21/23

Mr. Showbiz's Readers' Picks: The 100 Best Movies of All Time (99/100 completed):

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

#155 The Hidden - Sounds like a unique premise. 10/3/23

This was a cool movie and you should watch this.

It only took a year and some change to finally watch

12 Years A Slave

A moving and unflinching look at the harrowing story of a free black man kidnapped and sold into slavery in the American pre-war South. Stacked cast. Beautiful photography and some very striking shots. While it didn’t seem there was much new to say about the evil of slavery I thought Chiwetel Ejiofor did a great job portraying someone used to freedom dealing with the horror of suddenly being trapped in that. Even small kindnesses were more what you’d give a beloved pet than a person. The ending was a little weak, with deus ex bradpittia, but otherwise it was a very strong film and I’m very glad I finally watched it.

I have now also seen Paths Of Glory, which was on this list previously. It was excellent and not at all what I was expecting. Strong performance and another harrowing story.

My Shameful List:
Stalker (1979) (classic scifi) - Keeping the Tarkovsky train rolling - another classic that I haven’t seen
The Iron Giant (best of animation) - Continuing with animated movies that passed me by all these years
Rio Bravo (1959) (classic westerns) - I have more classic Westerns that I have never seen, adding this to the list!
Bridge On The River Kwai (classic war movies) - I don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time in lists
The Bad Sleep Well (neonoir) - Crime, Thriller, Drama - close enough, and late enough maybe to get the neo- prefix. I’ve seen Kurosawa before, but not many that aren’t period pieces.
The 400 Blows (French New Wave) - Whelp, Breathless piqued my interest, so let’s go!
Terms Of Endearment (Best Picture winners) - something I’m not likely to see without some spurring, and continue to see all best picture winners
Annie Hall - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen but I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them
Persona (TSPDT1000) - Another They Shoot Pictures selection
Wild Strawberries - Need to see more bergman

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas, Solaris (1972), Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009), Raging Bull, Breathless (1960), 12 Years A Slave

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I've followed this thread for ages and figure I might as well join in. Gonna focus at least at first on the most shameful of all movies: ones I already own but have not watched.

smitster posted:

Rio Bravo (1959) (classic westerns) - I have more classic Westerns that I have never seen, adding this to the list!

I've been getting more into westerns lately after not being as into them when I was younger and recently really enjoyed this one.

My List -
Ownership Shame:
1. A Room in Town (1982) The last film to watch from my Jacques Demy criterion set
2. Legend of the Mountain (1979) Every King Hu film I've seen has been great so I bought this sight unseen
3. The Night of the Hunted (1980) I like Jean Rollin and got this for pretty cheap unseen.
4. Murs Murs (1981) Never met a Varda I didn't like
5. The Round-Up (1966) Got this (and The Red and the White) to fill out an order from Kino Lorber, have been interested in Jansco for a while but never tried
6. Revenge (1990) From one of the World Cinema Sets I own
Other:
7. Coeur Fidele (1923) A french silent from a filmmaker I've liked several shorts from
8. Far From Heaven (2002) Love Todd Haynes and Julianne Moore, just need to get to this one
9. High School (1969) I've seen several of Frederick Wisemen's films and liked them a lot, but he has so many it's kind of daunting to pick one specifically to watch. So do it for me!
10. To Die For (1995) Like Gus Van Stant and all of this cast, just never gotten to it

Deshamed (0): none yet!

Scones are Good fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 15, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Scones are Good posted:

8. Far From Heaven (2002) Love Todd Haynes and Julianne Moore, just need to get to this one

Welcome aboard! This is the only one I've seen on your list so, although some others sound interesting, I'll stick with what I know for now. I haven't seen it since a film class longer ago than I'd like to admit, so could be fun to hear a fresh take.

Watched The Iron Giant (1999)

"Hands over your head/Keep low to the ground/Time to duck and cover/The bombs are comin' down!"

The Iron Giant passed me by when in was in the theaters. Not only was it grossly underpromoted by the studio, but I was about 14, an awkward age when I thought I was too old for cartoons that weren't South Park. Coming to it as an adult, it's easy to see why it's such a beloved film. You've got a classic "little kid befriends magical creature scenario" set-up à la E.T. But the wrinkle is our magical creature is a giant robot that, unbeknownst to either the kid or itself, is programmed as a weapon. Soon enough, the feds and the military come snooping around. I often see people opining that children's movies don't have the darker edge they did a few decades back. I'm not up enough on modern children's movies to know for sure--although with a toddler I'm sure I'll become an expert soon enough--but The Iron Giant strikes a nice balance between the sense of wonder and the giant's tragic character arc. This is the first animated film I've watched for this thread. It looks great, but I was particularly impressed with the sound design. The Iron Giant's lowered voice and massive, echoing movements really sell the scale and heft. The movie's set in the '50s, and it has a fun period vibe with a beatnik character, the background of the Red Scare, and hammy sci-fi B-movies and talk shows glimpsed on TV. There's even a film strip about atomic bomb safety, which I quoted above, that was a laugh-out-loud rewind moment for me. I also watched the Signature Edition, which only adds two brief scenes that were storyboarded but not animated for the original release. They're seamless integrated into the cut, and in particular the scene of the Iron Giant's dream adds a lot. Tight movie all around.

LIST OF SHAME:
15. Tokyo Story (1953) (added 07-29-22): I've never seen an Ozu film, and this is considered a masterpiece.
18. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) (added 08-31-22): The most iconic film directed by John Cassavetes, who I've thus far only seen on the other side of the camera.
19. True Stories (1986) (added 09-30-22): I've been a diehard Talking Heads fan for almost as long as I've followed pop music, but I've never seen this musical comedy, David Byrne's sole directorial credit for a feature film.
21. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) (added 04-03-23): A big influence on my favorite film, The Royal Tenenbaums.
26. Night on Earth (1991) (added 08-20-23): The only Jarmusch I haven't seen (aside from the music docs).
27. The New World (2005) (added 09-01-23): The biggest gap in my Terrence Malick viewing.
28. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) (added 09-26-23): Universally considered one of silent film's greatest masterpieces.
30. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) (added 11-26-23): Filling in some gaps regarding my Altman knowledge.
31. Belle de Jour (1967) (added 12-07-23): Perhaps a bit more of a conventional narrative than I'm used to from Buñuel.
(and introducing...)
33. The Apartment (1960) (added 01-15-24): Getting some Billy Wilder into the rotation.

SHAME OVERCOME (23 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989); A Streetcar Named Desire (1951); Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957); Godzilla (1954); The Iron Giant (1999)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

15. Tokyo Story (1953) (added 07-29-22): I've never seen an Ozu film, and this is considered a masterpiece.

"Isn't life disappointing?"

The Hidden - This was very action-oriented with copious amounts of car chases and shootouts (rather than having exposition and backstory). Basically an alien slug causes its host to rob banks, steal sports cars and murder. Some may think the alien aspects were underdeveloped and lean but it was entertaining enough for me.

It's an impressive genre kaleidoscope that reminded me of many staples like The Terminator, The Thing (1982) and Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday. A little of K-PAX as well.

Hesitation (156 completed):

#160 The Spider's Stratagem - A political mystery from Bernardo Bertolucci. 11/20/23

#161 An Actor's Revenge - This one gets glowing reviews from the critics but doesn't get mentioned that often. 11/27/23

#164 The Ox-Bow Incident - Another Western I keep putting off. 1/1/24

#50 Faces of Death - Banned in 46 countries! This one will probably be very nasty. Just another roadblock to blast through to complete another list. 9/21/23

Mr. Showbiz's Readers' Picks: The 100 Best Movies of All Time (99/100 completed):

Spike Lee's 95 Essential Films (83/95 completed):

new Empire of the Sun - Never got around to seeing all of this one. 1/16/24

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

Zogo posted:

One of my favorite Russian films

8. Far From Heaven dir. Todd Haynes (2002)

I've been a bit hesitant to watch this one as while I view both Sirk* and Haynes as two of the great American directors of their eras, this kind of pastiche/impression exercise always has the risk of cutting down the middle between two artists and losing what's vital and interesting about both of them in the process. I do think this happens a bit here, Julianne Moore and Dennis Haysbert do absolutely wonderful work (there's a shot in one of their last scenes of Moore's face just reacting wordless to what he's saying that is just amazing) but it took a while for it to get out from under "oh, he's the Rock Hudson character!" for me. Having Carol to compare it to you see how Haynes working in a similar period setting without the Sirk trappings feels a lot freer.
Overall though that's a small price to pay for how well the 50s and Sirk aesthetic is channeled: Ed Lachman does amazing work** deploying those colored lights both subtlety and as full on fills depending on what the scene called for and the costuming is set design is impressive for how it recreates the era *including* the stuff that was ugly and was unfashionable a few years after it was set. Some of Moore and her friend's dresses reminded me of the fashion show in the middle of The Women where everything was of the latest fashion and absolutely hideous. Also I just love rear projection driving scenes.

*Sirk was German yes, but his films were American
**Lachman even gets a music swell in the opening credits, which I'm counting as recognition of just how good you have to be to even attempt this

My List -
Ownership Shame:
1. A Room in Town (1982) The last film to watch from my Jacques Demy criterion set
2. Legend of the Mountain (1979) Every King Hu film I've seen has been great so I bought this sight unseen
3. The Night of the Hunted (1980) I like Jean Rollin and got this for pretty cheap unseen.
5. The Round-Up (1966) Got this (and The Red and the White) to fill out an order from Kino Lorber, have been interested in Jansco for a while but never tried
Other:
7. Coeur Fidele (1923) A french silent from a filmmaker I've liked several shorts from
9. High School (1969) I've seen several of Frederick Wisemen's films and liked them a lot, but he has so many it's kind of daunting to pick one specifically to watch. So do it for me!
10. To Die For (1995) Like Gus Van Stant and all of this cast, just never gotten to it
11. Two Lane Blacktop (1972) Some great 70s faces in this, but not a big car person

Deshamed (1): Far From Heaven (2002)

Scones are Good fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 2, 2024

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Scones are Good posted:

"You're not anybody in America unless you're on TV."

The Ascent - A timely selection considering I'm dealing with similarly cold and snowy weather right now. It's a film that focuses on small skirmishes rather than grandiose battles. War is miserably rough and innocent parties are sometimes caught in between. The psychology of each victim is explored.

A couple of Russian soldiers face the familiar dilemma of revealing military secrets or being tortured. One's an idealist willing to die before collaborating and one's a pragmatist trying to survive at any cost. In the final analysis there's a price to pay with either approach.

Free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caUnJDiWh40

Hesitation (157 completed):

Empire of the Sun - Never got around to seeing all of this one. 1/16/24

new Paisan - Another film concerning World War II. 1/19/24

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 20, 2024

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
Citizen Kane

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

I haven't seen any of the movies on your list but I was on a Western kick myself, so give this a go!

Rio Bravo

This was good! I wanted to see it both because its an all time Western classic but also more specifically the main inspiration behind Assault On Precinct 13. This was a lot more character focused, with multiple characters going on internal journeys and finding out a little about themselves (and each other). John Wayne’s character and arc were a little more sentimental than I’m used to, and Dean Martin’s drunk crawling out of the bottle was great - not overly dramatic or nonsensical. There were some tense scenes, some decent action, a lot of funny moments.

My Shameful List:
Stalker (1979) (classic scifi) - Keeping the Tarkovsky train rolling - another classic that I haven’t seen
The Iron Giant (best of animation) - Continuing with animated movies that passed me by all these years
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (classic westerns) - more classic Westerns
Bridge On The River Kwai (classic war movies) - I don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time in lists
The Bad Sleep Well (neonoir) - Crime, Thriller, Drama - close enough, and late enough maybe to get the neo- prefix. I’ve seen Kurosawa before, but not many that aren’t period pieces.
The 400 Blows (French New Wave) - Whelp, Breathless piqued my interest, so let’s go!
Terms Of Endearment (Best Picture winners) - something I’m not likely to see without some spurring, and continue to see all best picture winners
Annie Hall - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen but I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them
Persona (TSPDT1000) - Another They Shoot Pictures selection
Wild Strawberries - Need to see more bergman

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas, Solaris (1972), Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009), Raging Bull, Breathless (1960), 12 Years A Slave, Rio Bravo

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

smitster posted:

Insanely good blocking in this one and one of my favorite Mifune performances.

10. To Die For dir. Gus Van Stant (1995)

Wow did they call their shot on those last lines about everyone being on TV. Lots of movies can claim to be prescient about the future attention economy but that's a hit right out of the park. Pretty much the ideal 90s cast here, Nicole Kidman is crazy good in a type of totally self obsessed and scheming role that's been done not half as well in god knows how many films since. Joaquin has basically already nailed his "sensitive weirdo" technique. It's so sad watching him reflect on what's happened, he's genuinely very sweet but really does not quite "get it" and is stuck alone forever because of it. Special shout out to Illeana Douglas, who I always love to see, for apparently being a very good ice skater, and an extra special shout out to David Cronenberg popping up at the end.

My List -
Ownership Shame:
Other:
11. Two Lane Blacktop (1972) Some great 70s faces in this, but not a big car person
12. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) Love Cassavetes

Deshamed (2): Far From Heaven (2002), To Die For (1995)

Scones are Good fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 2, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pretty sure that To Die For was based in a true story

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Based on a novel of the same name that was partly inspired by a real person and case, Pamela Smart, according to wikipedia. Reading about it there's at least one major difference between real life and the film, though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Scones are Good posted:

"Those satisfactions are permanent."

The Naked Spur - The year is 1868 and Howard Kemp (James Stewart) is on the hunt for a murderer. But things are far from what they seem. The strength of the film is found in its fleshed out quintet of characters. They all have hidden agendas and their backstories reveal their blurry lines and unclear morals. The weakness is the silly ending that reminded me of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948). Another great film stunted by a cockamamie ending. I did like all the vibrant colors and beautiful vistas though.

Hesitation (158 completed):

Paisan - Another film concerning World War II. 1/19/24

new Dead End (1937) - This one has a lot of big names attached to it. 1/23/24

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 23, 2024

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Zogo, watch The Ox-Bow Incident, it's excellent and also quite quick.

---

"The only thing you need to make a film is a girl and a gun."

Woah, yeah. Poignant even. Hey, could we actually get some more guns in this one? Could stand to use a few more guns.

I last checked in with Michelangelo Antonioni in college and at the time I found myself totally bouncing off of his most prestigious film, L'Avventura. I wondered if coming back to his work older and more mature I might find something more satisfying in it. But I was messaging a friend about it and he made a really sharp point: A lot of those 'malaise' movies actually more adolescent than they appear and when you're older, it's often the opposite. It really reframed the fantasy in The Passenger as much more juvenile and unlocked my biggest issue with this type of film. This is the story of a man attempting to find some sort of freedom by faking his own death and going off to wander the world, but in the end it does nothing to solve his boredom and disaffection with life. And though it may be pretty and composed, it ultimately reinforces this romantic fantasy that is very much the type of thing a young twenty-something would adore and resonate with -- I am bored in my life, I find no fulfillment in my American existence, I want to see the world and find myself. The failure to do the latter is part of the fantasy, the same as Tony Montana going down, shot to pieces in a blaze of glory, is part of the fantasy of Scarface.

Look, is it a bad thing to say that I was bored and disinterested in the movie all about boredom and disinterest? I typically love Jack Nicholson, but I just couldn't find any connection here. I don't know if Antonioni wants us to connect, ever. He makes films about people calling out for connection, but when you reach your hand out they rebuff you to wallow in their misery even more.

My List:

They Shoot Pictures Don't They 2023 (563/1,000):

Children of Paradise (1945) - Also the film that has been on my personal watchlist for the longest!

Late Spring (1949) - Been a long time since I’ve sat down with Ozu. Maybe as I get older I’ll click with him more, as it is I more appreciated than really loved him when I watched some of his stuff in college.

Imitation of Life (1959) - I adored All That Heaven Allows but somehow that never pushed me into a Sirk kick. A lot of people say this is even better.

Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962) - Among my most shameful blindspots. A classic of the French New Wave I have no excuse for not seeing.

Amarcord (1973) - Been a long time since I've watched any Fellini.

Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974) - This sounds like the type of film that is 100% up my alley but the length is the only reason I’ve never watched it.

Shoah (1985) - I’ve gotta start it sooner or later.

Tropical Malady (2004) - I've enjoyed the Weerasethakul I've seen, although perhaps unsurprisingly he can be a bit of a challenge to settle into. Optimistic I'm going to like this one.

WR: Mysteries of the Organism (1971) - This looks extremely like my poo poo. (Added 12/17/2023)

Black God, White Devil (1964) - What a loving title. It's always drawn my attention but I don't know why I've never actually put it on. (Added 1/28/2024)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Look, is it a bad thing to say that I was bored and disinterested in the movie all about boredom and disinterest?

I found The Passenger to be surprisingly engaging but I think your complaints regarding it are shared by many others. Locke (Nicholson) sheds some of his boredom but exchanges it for something much worse. Definitely reminds me of Warren Oates' character in Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974).

TrixRabbi posted:

Amarcord (1973) - Been a long time since I've watched any Fellini.

"And who remembers anyway?"

The Ox-Bow Incident - This one intersects with Hang 'Em High (1968) at times (a similar story told from another angle). An angry mob forms after a local rancher is believed to be murdered. It highlights the craziness of lynch mobs and the cost of meting out punishments on a whim. In the end it's kind of the inverse of 12 Angry Men (1957).

There are a few absurdities. First, it's 1885 and one of the mob leaders is still wearing his Confederate States Army uniform. Another is that even when the mob realizes its error one guy wants to start another round of lynching.

Hesitation (159 completed):

Dead End (1937) - This one has a lot of big names attached to it. 1/23/24

new The Seduction of Mimi - Lina Wertmüller's films are mostly a blind spot for me. 1/31/24

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

Zogo posted:

Dead End (1937) - This one has a lot of big names attached to it. 1/23/24

Picking this one because I'm curious to hear about it.

11. Two Lane Blacktop dir. Monte Helman (1971)

"Here's to your destruction" "Same to you"
Films like this remind me of one of my favorite lines, from The Woman in the Dunes: "Do you dig sand to live, or do you live to dig sand?" There's nothing for these characters except for the drive, a pure road movie. Only landscapes are the interiors of the cars and the view out the window, only thing we learn about the characters is what they say as small talk to a hitchhiker. Pretty close to a perfect capture of the late 60s turning to the burn out cynicism of the films of 70s.

My List -
Ownership Shame:
1. A Room in Town (1982) The last film to watch from my Jacques Demy criterion set 1/14/23
2. Legend of the Mountain (1979) Every King Hu film I've seen has been great so I bought this sight unseen 1/14/23
3. The Night of the Hunted (1980) I like Jean Rollin and got this for pretty cheap unseen. 1/14/23
4. Murs Murs (1981) Never met a Varda I didn't like 1/14/23
5. The Round-Up (1966) Got this (and The Red and the White) to fill out an order from Kino Lorber, have been interested in Jansco for a while but never tried 1/14/23
6. Revenge (1990) From one of the World Cinema Sets I own 1/14/23
Other:
7. Coeur Fidele (1923) A french silent from a filmmaker I've liked several shorts from 1/14/23
9. High School (1969) I've seen several of Frederick Wisemen's films and liked them a lot, but he has so many it's kind of daunting to pick one specifically to watch. So do it for me! 1/14/23
12. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) Love Cassavetes 1/21/23
13. Ran (1985) One of the big Kurosawa's I still need to see - 2/3/24

Deshamed (3): Far From Heaven (2002), To Die For (1995), Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

Scones are Good fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 2, 2024

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Scones are Good posted:

3. The Night of the Hunted (1980) I like Jean Rollin and got this for pretty cheap unseen. 1/14/23

"You can't escape from the black tower that easily."

Dead End - The year is 1937 and the Great Depression looms large as the wealthy encroach upon tenements in NYC. There's so much class friction, frustration and harshness as people yearn for a better life. In short, it's blunt social realism.

A gangster with a checkered past (Humphrey Bogart) returns to the area and attempts reconciliation with his estranged mother and girlfriend. While he's there he mentors a bunch of little gangsters. Kids who are willing to beatdown others over a few cents. They'd fit in with the kids from The Young and the Damned (1950).

Unsurprisingly a lot of the criminal schemes go up in flames. Then there's a big shootout. It ends with some romance which felt a little out of place.

Spike Lee's 95 Essential Films (84/95 completed):

The Seduction of Mimi - Lina Wertmüller's films are mostly a blind spot for me. 1/31/24

new Miracle in Milan - It sounds like a special comedy. 2/5/24

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 6, 2024

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

Zogo posted:

Rosselini has a great track record for me

3. The Night of the Hunted dir. Jean Rollin (1980)

Rollin was alive at exactly the right time to make the films he wanted, which were horror films that are basically softcore pornography but contain an ethereal, sedate sense of dreamlike paranoia. It doesn't even really matter to me whether or not these movies are "good" honestly, questions like that are beside the point when it's clearly a pure expression of an artistic ethos. In this way Jean Rollin is basically the same as Straub-Huillet to me.

My List -
Ownership Shame:
1. A Room in Town (1982) The last film to watch from my Jacques Demy criterion set 1/14/23
2. Legend of the Mountain (1979) Every King Hu film I've seen has been great so I bought this sight unseen 1/14/23
4. Murs Murs (1981) Never met a Varda I didn't like 1/14/23
5. The Round-Up (1966) Got this (and The Red and the White) to fill out an order from Kino Lorber, have been interested in Jansco for a while but never tried 1/14/23
6. Revenge (1990) From one of the World Cinema Sets I own 1/14/23
14. The Baron of Arizona (1950) Sam Peckinpah directing a western with Vincent Price, what's not to like 2/8/24
Other:
7. Coeur Fidele (1923) A french silent from a filmmaker I've liked several shorts from 1/14/23
9. High School (1969) I've seen several of Frederick Wisemen's films and liked them a lot, but he has so many it's kind of daunting to pick one specifically to watch. So do it for me! 1/14/23

Deshamed (4): Far From Heaven (2002), To Die For (1995), Two-Lane Blacktop (1971), The Night of the Hunted (1980)

Scones are Good fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 2, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Scones are Good posted:

This is now the longest-standing movie hiding out on my own list, so I'd be curious to get some discussion going.

Watched Tokyo Story (1953)

"No story could be simpler. An old couple come to the city to visit their children and grandchildren. Their children are busy, and the old people upset their routines. In a quiet way, without anyone admitting it, the visit goes badly. The parents return home. A few days later, the grandmother dies. Now it is the turn of the children to make a journey."

I won't try to top Ebert's tight summary from his Great Movies review of Ozu's most celebrated film. This is the probably the most emotional, contemplative watch I've had for this thread. I've watched a few heavy films, but looking in on these intergenerational family divides was a more immediately relatable and intimate topic than anything that I've covered so far. I found myself pondering how my relationships with my family members have changed as I've grown into adulthood, relatives I wish I'd gotten to know better before they passed, and my own role in the larger family structure now that I'm a father myself. The film is straightforward yet subtle in how it engages with these issues. The dynamics are fairly clear, but most of the characters are very restrained in how much they openly acknowledge their own feelings (or lack thereof). I've obviously slept on Ozu for way too long. Just wonderful.

LIST OF SHAME:
18. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) (added 08-31-22): The most iconic film directed by John Cassavetes, who I've thus far only seen on the other side of the camera.
19. True Stories (1986) (added 09-30-22): I've been a diehard Talking Heads fan for almost as long as I've followed pop music, but I've never seen this musical comedy, David Byrne's sole directorial credit for a feature film.
21. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) (added 04-03-23): A big influence on my favorite film, The Royal Tenenbaums.
26. Night on Earth (1991) (added 08-20-23): The only Jarmusch I haven't seen (aside from the music docs).
27. The New World (2005) (added 09-01-23): The biggest gap in my Terrence Malick viewing.
28. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) (added 09-26-23): Universally considered one of silent film's greatest masterpieces.
30. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) (added 11-26-23): Filling in some gaps regarding my Altman knowledge.
31. Belle de Jour (1967) (added 12-07-23): Perhaps a bit more of a conventional narrative than I'm used to from Buñuel.
33. The Apartment (1960) (added 01-15-24): Getting some Billy Wilder into the rotation.
(and introducing...)
34. Laura (1944) (added 02-08-24): Adding a little film noir to the mix.

SHAME OVERCOME (24 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989); A Streetcar Named Desire (1951); Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957); Godzilla (1954); The Iron Giant (1999); Tokyo Story (1953)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

"Is morphine a pill?"

Paisan - This covers different facets of the war in Italy ~1943-1944. It's an anthology with some real footage inserted in at times. So many war films try to connect the dots and weave some type of tapestry to make sense of everything. I recently watched Band of Brothers and The Pacific and while they're highly bingeable each episode tries to have a nice and pleasing ending. But Paisan is much more practical and unpretentious. Soldiers aren't spouting off truisms or platitudes. They're dealing with language barriers and constant death. There's no time for nonsense.

I won't detail the stories but each one demonstrates how the war is large, full of chaos and randomness. That's life itself but war amplifies and accelerates those things. Tragedies and social ills happen for no apparent rhyme or reason. It's much like Rome, Open City in that regard.

At the end of the film I was reminded of a line from The Vietnam War (2017): "In war, no one wins or loses. There is only destruction. Only those who have never fought like to argue about who won and who lost." -Bao Ninh

War is exceedingly destructive. I was also reminded of this clip from The Last Bomb (1945): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAPqr3YCNmA

Spike Lee's 95 Essential Films (85/95 completed):

The Seduction of Mimi - Lina Wertmüller's films are mostly a blind spot for me. 1/31/24

Miracle in Milan - It sounds like a special comedy. 2/5/24

new Black Rain - Not to be confused with the Ridley Scott film (which shares the same title and same release year). 2/11/24

Zogo fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 12, 2024

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

Zogo posted:

Paying forward the "oldest movie addition to your list" choice, I've been wanting to watch this for ages but I want to read the novel first.

12. A Woman Under the Influence dir. John Cassavetes (1974)

Not exactly breaking any new ground here to say that Rowlands and Falk give two of the best performances on film, but like, come on. Look at this. Two complex, deeply observed characters whose performances feel totally alive and unexpected without ever feeling cheaply improvised. Portrayals of mental instability and anxieties that never fall back on ticks or overt psychoanalyzing. Long scenes and takes that allow tensions to rise and fall naturally. Feels silly to say someone as revered as Cassavetes is underrated in any way but I do think his talents as a visual director can be overlooked by some, the blocking of the actors in the layout of the home is as integral to their arguments as anything else. It's not always glamorous or "impressive" looking but there's a lot more to that than just pointing the camera at someone and you can see that when you compare this to lesser films that have been inspired or influenced by Casssavetes over the years.

My List -
Ownership Shame:
1. A Room in Town (1982) The last film to watch from my Jacques Demy criterion set - 1/14/23
2. Legend of the Mountain (1979) Every King Hu film I've seen has been great so I bought this sight unseen - 1/14/23
4. Murs Murs (1981) Never met a Varda I didn't like - 1/14/23
5. The Round-Up (1966) Got this (and The Red and the White) to fill out an order from Kino Lorber, have been interested in Jansco for a while but never tried - 1/14/23
6. Revenge (1990) From one of the World Cinema Sets I own - 1/14/23
14. The Baron of Arizona (1950) Sam Peckinpah directing a western with Vincent Price, what's not to like - 2/8/24
Other:
7. Coeur Fidele (1923) A french silent from a filmmaker I've liked several shorts from - 1/14/23
9. High School (1969) I've seen several of Frederick Wisemen's films and liked them a lot, but he has so many it's kind of daunting to pick one specifically to watch. So do it for me! - 1/14/23
15. Wavelength (1967) Finally found a copy of this that's better than the awful video transfer floating around online - 2/16/23

Deshamed (5): Far From Heaven (2002), To Die For (1995), Two-Lane Blacktop (1971), The Night of the Hunted (1980), A Woman Under the Influence (1974)

Scones are Good fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 2, 2024

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Scones are Good posted:

2. Legend of the Mountain (1979) Every King Hu film I've seen has been great so I bought this sight unseen - 1/14/23

"Use the mudra!"

The Tin Drum - The story begins in Poland circa 1899. It's narrated by a child with stunted growth. He likes to bang on tin drums to the point of breaking them. He also has an affinity for screaming so loudly that nearby glass objects break. He's an old soul who tells a tragic story.

The backdrop is the familiar WWII. There's a certain authenticity that comes across in showing the ordinariness and happiness of Nazis in the midst of atrocities. Most films take the simplistic route of portraying only brutality and barbarism but Nazis have personal problems too. And Hitler's just some politician who's getting stuff done and giving rousing speeches on the radio. People are constantly mesmerized by him. It's like Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) in that regard. It's remarkable to see German crowd reactions from the 1930s and 1940s. The audiences cheered him in the same way that kids did for the Beatles a couple decades later.

It's quirky in many ways. Quirky characters, quirky scenarios, quirky sexuality et al. For some reason I was reminded of religious antisemitism and all its peculiarities e.g. the esteemed Martin Luther writing such things as On the Jews and Their Lies.

Hesitation (160 completed):

Black Rain - Not to be confused with the Ridley Scott film (which shares the same title and same release year). 2/11/24

new The Train - Sounds similar to The Monuments Men. 2/24/24

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo, I didn't want to be the dick giving it to you but I can't deal with having one film left on a list to go for that long so tear off the bandaid for Faces of Death.

I just finished Amarcord, and I'm not too sure I have that many deep thoughts about it, but I did like it. It's much more of a comedic melodrama than the other, limited amount of Fellini films I've seen which either veer towards neorealism or stark surrealism. This was neatly in the middle, a nostalgia-trip cognizant of the darkness happening in Italian society at that time but ultimately still told through the lens of an adolescent memory. It's charming, brisk and generally much more welcoming than any of the more serious works of his I've seen. I don't know that I deeply connected with it and started getting restless in the last 15 minutes, but I liked it a fair bit. Wish I had anything deeper to say at the moment but I don't.

My List:

They Shoot Pictures Don't They 2023 (564/1,000):

Children of Paradise (1945) - Also the film that has been on my personal watchlist for the longest!

Late Spring (1949) - Been a long time since I’ve sat down with Ozu. Maybe as I get older I’ll click with him more, as it is I more appreciated than really loved him when I watched some of his stuff in college.

Imitation of Life (1959) - I adored All That Heaven Allows but somehow that never pushed me into a Sirk kick. A lot of people say this is even better.

Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962) - Among my most shameful blindspots. A classic of the French New Wave I have no excuse for not seeing.

Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974) - This sounds like the type of film that is 100% up my alley but the length is the only reason I’ve never watched it.

Shoah (1985) - I’ve gotta start it sooner or later.

Tropical Malady (2004) - I've enjoyed the Weerasethakul I've seen, although perhaps unsurprisingly he can be a bit of a challenge to settle into. Optimistic I'm going to like this one.

WR: Mysteries of the Organism (1971) - This looks extremely like my poo poo. (Added 12/17/2023)

Black God, White Devil (1964) - What a loving title. It's always drawn my attention but I don't know why I've never actually put it on. (Added 1/28/2024)

Viridiana (1961) - Bunuel is another one of those directors where I haven't watched anything by him in over a decade after dipping my toes in years ago. (Added 2/25/2024)

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

I don't quite agree with those people but I can see where they're coming from, this is absolutely a great from Sirk. (Also just so you know, I'm pretty sure a restoration of Tropical Malady is coming sooner than later. Might be worth waiting a bit for that, it's a gorgeous film that will really benefit from an update from the DVD that's been around a while. Unless that already happened and I missed it somehow)

2. Legend of the Mountain dir. King Hu (1979)

Didn't realize going in this wasn't so much martial arts as it was about ghosts and demons doing magic at eachother using drums. Not a criticism, it rocks, it was just funny realizing that the first jump using wires was two hours into the movie when it happened. Probably the most gorgeous of King Hu's films I've seen yet, it takes every opportunity to luxuriate in long shots of the characters walking through nature and cool buildings. Some extremely expressive use of color using filters, painted sets, and smoke and lots of fun camera tricks with reversed footage. I love that all the way through Yunqing is still just interested in a regular paycheck and goes on his own way. Not my favorite of his films I've seen but still an extremely good one.

My List -
Ownership Shame:
1. A Room in Town (1982) The last film to watch from my Jacques Demy criterion set - 1/14/23
4. Murs Murs (1981) Never met a Varda I didn't like - 1/14/23
5. The Round-Up (1966) Got this (and The Red and the White) to fill out an order from Kino Lorber, have been interested in Jansco for a while but never tried - 1/14/23
6. Revenge (1990) From one of the World Cinema Sets I own - 1/14/23
14. The Baron of Arizona (1950) Sam Peckinpah directing a western with Vincent Price, what's not to like - 2/8/24
16. Revenge dir. Yermek Shinarbayev (1990) Another unwatched film from one of the criterion World Cinema Project sets I have
Other:
7. Coeur Fidele (1923) A french silent from a filmmaker I've liked several shorts from - 1/14/23
9. High School (1969) I've seen several of Frederick Wisemen's films and liked them a lot, but he has so many it's kind of daunting to pick one specifically to watch. So do it for me! - 1/14/23
15. Wavelength (1967) Finally found a copy of this that's better than the awful video transfer floating around online - 2/16/23

Deshamed (6): Far From Heaven (2002), To Die For (1995), Two-Lane Blacktop (1971), The Night of the Hunted (1980), A Woman Under the Influence (1974), Legend of the Mountain (1979)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Scones are Good posted:

"Such is the human condition."

Faces of Death - A pathologist narrates a series of grisly scenarios while opining on mortality and existentialism. It has an interesting presentation that's like a travelogue at times but there's so much grisliness. It reminded me of In Search of... (1977-1982). I won't detail all the nastiness (both simulated and real) but there are some things in the film that'd bother just about anyone. It's a smorgasbord of brutality.

In the second half of the film things get a little lighter. The narrator shifts into talking about ghosts, cryonics and the cycle of life. The narration is highly quotable.

The end credits are one of the hardest tonal shifts I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PqbBbIZVik

Hesitation (160 completed):

Black Rain - Not to be confused with the Ridley Scott film (which shares the same title and same release year). 2/11/24

The Train - Sounds similar to The Monuments Men. 2/24/24

new Love and Anarchy - Another film from Lina Wertmüller. 3/2/24

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 4, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

I'm not familiar with Wertmüller, but she's on your list twice so I'll prod you on your journey through her filmography.

Watched A Woman Under the Influence (1974)

Gena Rowlands (Mabel) and Nick (Peter Falk) are a struggling married couple. Mabel starts the film as a manic bundle of nerves, and she only declines from there until Nick has her involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital for 6 months. It's a dual character piece, as well as a study of how mental and emotional disturbances are treated (or, in Nick's case, tolerated) by the family unit and society as a whole. Mabel is suffering at time when there's, shall we say, limited understanding of mental health treatment. She's called "crazy" and sent to the "nuthouse," and at one point even the family doctor makes the "cuckoo" gesture during a house call. Yet Nick routinely verbally abuses and hits his wife, often very publicly, and no one speaks up. Other erratic behavior includes when he brings a dozen co-workers home announced at 7 a.m., or when he lets his elementary school kids drink beer with him in the back of a moving truck. Yet I was perusing reviews of the film, and even today there are viewers talking about how Nick is just a frustrated man dealing with his sick wife. Rowlands and Falk give powerhouse performances, of course, but this isn't just an actor's film. Cassavettes really uses his direction to make things feel tense and suffocating, letting scenes play out at almost unbearable length to let the tension really ebb and flow. Characters are sometimes shot in extreme close-ups, and sometimes shown in the background as a whirlwind of people circle about them. What a draining film, just an emotional marathon, but superb filmmaking with realistic, well-drawn characters.

LIST OF SHAME:
34. Laura (1944) (added 02-08-24): Adding a little film noir to the mix.
(and introducing...)
35. Rio Bravo (1959) (added 03-03-24): I'll take a recommendation from John Carpenter any day.

SHAME OVERCOME (25 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989); A Streetcar Named Desire (1951); Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957); Godzilla (1954); The Iron Giant (1999); Tokyo Story (1953); A Woman Under the Influence (1974)

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

Crescent Wrench posted:

And they're right! Beautiful film. And I'm glad to see your thoughts on A Woman Under the Influence, you're right that its ridiculous people can watch it and miss how far out of it Nick is as well. That's really central to everything about that second part of the film, both when he's at work and has that big party planned.

13. Ran dir. Akira Kurosawa (1985)

A movie I've put off just because I know how good it was going to be and its nice to have something to look forward to. There's nothing that matches actually having a bunch of guys in costumes really riding horses and firing real arrows and fire at buildings. At a scale that is truly epic and grandiose in a way that honors the Original King Lear's themes and place in literature. A fun fact: My cat Toru is named after composer Toru Takemitsu, whose work here matches both the epic scope and deep tragedy. The central scene of the castle being destroyed set to his score is one of the crowning achievements of Kurosawa's career. Just a total masterpiece.

My List -
Ownership Shame:
1. A Room in Town (1982) - The last film to watch from my Jacques Demy criterion set - 1/14/24
4. Murs Murs (1981) - Never met a Varda I didn't like - 1/14/24
5. The Round-Up (1966) - Got this (and The Red and the White) to fill out an order from Kino Lorber, have been interested in Jansco for a while but never tried - 1/14/24
6. Revenge (1990) - From one of the World Cinema Sets I own - 1/14/24
14. The Baron of Arizona (1950) - Sam Peckinpah directing a western with Vincent Price, what's not to like - 2/8/24
16. Alice (1988) - I have this on a DVD I stole from netflix. Also in my last post this spot was accidentally a repeat of Revenge, whoops. - 3/4/24
Other:
7. Coeur Fidele (1923) - A french silent from a filmmaker I've liked several shorts from - 1/14/24
9. High School (1969) - I've seen several of Frederick Wisemen's films and liked them a lot, but he has so many it's kind of daunting to pick one specifically to watch. So do it for me! - 1/14/24
15. Wavelength (1967) - Finally found a copy of this that's better than the awful video transfer floating around online - 2/16/24
17. A New Leaf (1971) - I love Mikey and Nicky, I figure it's about time I got to seeing Elaine May's other films - 3/4/24

Deshamed (7): Far From Heaven (2002), To Die For (1995), Two-Lane Blacktop (1971), The Night of the Hunted (1980), A Woman Under the Influence (1974), Legend of the Mountain (1979), Ran (1985)

Scones are Good fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 5, 2024

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's fun to hear about your cat!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I literally just saw the Devil Wears Prada this weekend, so I got one of these movies off my list finally.

However, I still haven't seen a single John Wick movie. Considering my overall viewing history, it's really unfathomable to me how I've let that slide for so long.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

John Wick is a mighty fine saga for sure.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Doronin posted:

I literally just saw the Devil Wears Prada this weekend, so I got one of these movies off my list finally.

However, I still haven't seen a single John Wick movie. Considering my overall viewing history, it's really unfathomable to me how I've let that slide for so long.

Well there's 4 out of 10 movies right there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I really tried with John Wick and maybe it's just me but just watching a guy shoot motherfuckers for 2 hours got old quick.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Scones are Good posted:

15. Wavelength (1967) - Finally found a copy of this that's better than the awful video transfer floating around online - 2/16/24

"Strawberry fields forever."

The Seduction of Mimi - This one is filled with dark humor regarding voter intimidation, bad working conditions and threatening mob bosses. Later it shifts into a ridiculous albeit predictable love story. Namely Mimi trying to juggle two lives and two wives. Then another shift takes place that was unexpected. Double cuckoldry.

The film highlights the fickleness and frivolity of political ideologies and how the zeitgeist can shift quickly leaving old notions to be forgotten i.e. leftist ideals and regionalism. Also, the flimsiness, hollowness, pettiness and intellectual dishonesty of voters. All around the world strongly held political beliefs vanish into thin air. It's an ideological nightmare and shows how all the factions play off one another. Broadly, I was reminded of I Am Curious: Yellow.

Also watched:

Will Penny - Will Penny (Charlton Heston) spends most of his time working and tussling with other cowboys. While looking for another job he runs into a few cartoonish rawhiders (Donald Pleasence, Bruce Dern and others). They endlessly harass him and are a little too farcical for villains IMO.

Later on Will pursues a fractured relationship with an abandoned woman and her child. He becomes domesticated for a time but it doesn't work out as he has too many marital misgivings. I kept expecting Will to morph into a hero at some point but in the end he's more of a bachelor/antihero. The film has a memorably stark ending.

Hesitation (161 completed):

new #165 The Ballad of Cable Hogue - I've heard that it's an unconventional Western. 3/9/24

new #166 The Turning Point - This was nominated for eleven Oscars but won zero. It shares that record with The Color Purple. 3/9/24

Spike Lee's 95 Essential Films (86/95 completed):

The Train - Sounds similar to The Monuments Men. 2/24/24

Love and Anarchy - Another film from Lina Wertmüller. 3/2/24

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

drat. Saving my review of Ronin until one of you guys posts a movie I've actually loving seen so I can recommend something.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's cool to pick one based on your gut or whatever if you're ready to rock with your flick watched and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah, we've all done it plenty of times. Choose whatever sounds most interesting to you, or has the weirdest title, or just what's been on the list the longest. Better to keep the thread moving that way.