Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around
There's some very good ones on there, LesterGroans. You get Blowup, which is a very good movie. Enjoy.

1. Fitzcarraldo- I love Herzog, so why I haven’t seen this is inexcusable.
2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own in on video, so watching would be easy, but…
3. Red River- See # 2
4. Pather Panchali- See # 2, also I have never seen any Satyajit Ray.
5. Ran- One of Kurosawa’s greatest. Why haven’t I seen it?
6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched…
7. Time Bandits- I love Terry Gilliam, but never got around to this one.
8. The Last Waltz- It’s the only major Scorsese work I haven’t seen
9. The Searchers- I’m really behind on Ford, but this one’s a doozy
10. Any Charlie Chaplin- I am ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Hellbunny, see Taxi Driver.

Just saw The Searchers, and I really liked it. I can understand the acclaim for it. It looks great, it's more complex than your average western, John Wayne shows more range than usual, and its influence on film is very clear. I'm still more of a Leone/Eastwood man, but this has made me more curious about Ford. I might revisit The Quiet Man.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Pather Panchali- See # 2, also I have never seen any Satyajit Ray.

9. Badlands- I've loved the Malick films I've seen (Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line), and this one always intrigued me, but it only just occured to me that I haven't seen it.

Finally seen: The Searchers

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Bedevere, you watch E.T. because I want to hear your view on it after you've seen it. I for one couldn't disagree more and think it's one of the best movies about childhood ever made, but I'm sure there are those who disagree.

Watched Pather Panchali, and while I admired it, I didn't love it like everyone says I would. Not because I thought there was anything wrong with it necessarily, as there are sequences I really liked, my interest went a few times. It's a good movie, but I don't see myself revisiting it anytime soon.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid/The Sting- Newman and Redford were a hell of a team...so I hear, but I've seen neither of their movies together.

9. Badlands- I've loved the Malick films I've seen (Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line), and this one always intrigued me, but it only just occured to me that I haven't seen it.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali

meanmikhail fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 10, 2010

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Wilhelm Scream, see Barry Lyndon. It's one of my favorite Kubrick films, and it's criminally underseen.

I saw the Sting, and I loved, loved, loved it. It was a load of fun, and Redford, Newman and Shaw were all terrific in it.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- Now that I've seen the Sting, I'd like to see their other movie together.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Hellbunny still has to recommend me a movie.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

I am lost without a recommendation. :(

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Alright, I happened to have Ran recorded on TV and watched it to have a loving awesome Kurosawa day with Jolo. I'll go by Hellbunny's pick of The Great Dictator before I repost my list/recommend something for someone else.

At any rate, Ran was incredible and now ranks alongside Rashomon and Seven Samurai as one of my three favorite Kurosawas. It had me from the opening shots, which are really breathtaking. I loved the long battle sequence at the midsection and the lack of sound aside from music at a certain point during it. The actress who played Lady Kaede stole the show for my money, but everyone is good in it, and it's a staggering achievement for Kurosawa. Also, I love that score.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

penismightier, you get Gone With the Wind since I've already recommended Blowup to someone else in this thread. I actually prefer the Departed (the only other film I've seen on your list), but you should probably see this.

Just watched The Great Dictator, my first Chaplin film. I thought it was hilarious and touching at the same time. I was taken out of it for a second when I saw the treatment they got in the concentration camp, but then I remembered that the general public didn't know the full extent of the Nazi's crimes (and read that Chaplin wouldn't have made the movie had he known). It's a great movie at any rate.

Updated list:

1. Fitzcarraldo- I love Herzog, so that I haven’t seen this is inexcusable.

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- I loved the Sting, so now I feel the need to see Newman and Redford’s other movie together.

5. The Apartment- Billy Wilder is a filmmaker I greatly respect, and I love Jack Lemmon, but I never got around to this.

10. Charllie Chaplin’s silent films

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

SKEET SKEET posted:

Mean Streets - Seems like I should have seen this by now.

See this. It's one of my favorite Scorsese films.

Saw Fitzcarraldo. It's now my favorite Herzog. I love the imagery, the score, and it has probably my favorite Kinski role. The last sequence is terrific, too.

Updated list:

1. La Dolce Vita- I haven’t seen enough Fellini

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- I loved the Sting, so now I feel the need to see Newman and Redford’s other movie together.

5. The Apartment- Billy Wilder is a filmmaker I greatly respect, and I love Jack Lemmon, but I never got around to this.

10. Charlie Chaplin’s silent films

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

JVO, see The Squid and the Whale. It's about as accurate as a movie can get at the look at the break-up of a marriage and what kids go through. And it's also pretty funny at the same time.

Saw Badlands. I didn't like it as much as Days of Heaven or The Thin Red Line, but it's still pretty fantastic. Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek are awesome, and Malick's visual sense are as good as ever.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- I loved the Sting, so now I feel the need to see Newman and Redford’s other movie together. Have it recorded.

5. The Apartment- Billy Wilder is a filmmaker I greatly respect, and I love Jack Lemmon, but I never got around to this. Have it recorded.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Hellbunny posted:

1 Dead Man (1995) One of my friends (who's an even bigger filmnerd than me) told me to see this. And it sounds awesome!

This. I love it, it's about as understated as Johnny Depp ever was, Robert Muller's photography is stunning, and it's my favorite Jarmusch film.

Finally got around to Time Bandits, and I loved it. It has that great energy and sense of visual style Gilliam's best films (Brazil, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) have, and the whole cast is wonderful.

Updated List:

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- I loved the Sting, so now I feel the need to see Newman and Redford’s other movie together. Have it recorded.

5. The Apartment- Billy Wilder is a filmmaker I greatly respect, and I love Jack Lemmon, but I never got around to this. Have it recorded.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Broken Blossoms- I liked Intolerance a lot and…appreciated Birth of a Nation. Let’s see some more Griffith!

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

mikewozere posted:

It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

Yes. Yes you do. See this, you won't regret it.

Finally got to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and once again loved the Newman/Redford/Hill team. The final shootout is terrific and sad and funny, and the dialogue throughout the whole movie has this wonderful breezy feel to it. "Who ARE those guys?"

Updated list:

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

4. The Big Parade- See # 2

7. Broken Blossoms- I liked Intolerance a lot and…appreciated Birth of a Nation. Let’s see some more Griffith!

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Heaven's Gate Is this really as much of a disaster as its reputation leads one to believe? I have to find out.

I am so sorry. This is the only one of these I've seen, so it's the only one I can recommend. Good luck...

Finally got around to The Apartment, which I loved. Jack Lemmon is shaping up to be one of my favorite actors, and this would rank alongside Some Like it Hot as one of my favorite films from either him or Wilder.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

5. Grave of the Fireflies- I’m afraid I might shoot myself after watching it, but I want to see it nonetheless.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Zogo posted:

#87 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

This is close to being my favorite movie and Ennio Morricone's score is my favorite music ever, so you're watching this long motherfucker.

The Last Waltz was a lot of fun and I've been listening to a lot of The Band now. I wish it would have focused a bit more on the other members of the Band than Robbie Robertson, but it's hard to complain when you get great renditions of "Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and "Don't Do It".

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

5. Grave of the Fireflies- I’m afraid I might shoot myself after watching it, but I want to see it nonetheless.

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Atheistdeals.com posted:

6. The Trial - I'm just Super Gay for Orson Welles, I guess.

There's some terrific movies on your list, but I picked this one because it's one of my favorite Welles films from my favorite Kafka novel, and Anthony Perkins is great in it.

Finished City Lights and I really enjoyed it. I'm regretting not getting into any of Charlie Chaplin's films sooner, because he's just a delight to watch on screen, and this one is no exception. The spaghetti sequence had me giggling (that's right, giggling) like I haven't in ages. I think I might slightly prefer The Great Dictator if only for the pudding sequence and the impassioned plea near the end, but I'd definitely watch this again.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

7. Broken Blossoms- I liked Intolerance a lot and…appreciated The Birth of a Nation. Let’s see some more Griffith!

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

10. Modern Times- Might as well continue the Charlie Chaplin run.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Zogo posted:

Once Upon a Time in America -
This could be the supreme mafia movie. I liked it better than any in the Godfather Trilogy. The kid actors in this film should've received top billing. I'd call them "young enterprising individuals." It covers so many topics smoothly. I was also impressed with how we were transitioned back and forth between three time periods so effortlessly. It's something I've seen screw up many films before but in this it was just right. Also, it was another memorable score from Morricone that gets stuck in your head. Makes you want to go out and mess with a pan flute.

Pan flute is really underused http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMT9jEluuOU

BTW does Leone know how to make a bad..even average film? All that remain for me are The Colossus of Rhodes and Duck, You Sucker!

New List:

#57 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#90 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#91 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#95 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once.

#98 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

#109 Oldboy - I've seen music clips of this on youtube but that is all.

#110 On the Waterfront - All I know is that Marlon Brando makes a famous speech.

Go with this.

Well I'm glad you loved my last recommendation (and I'm with you on the "better than The Godfather" sentiment), because you're getting another one. On the Waterfront is another favorite of mine and Marlon Brando's performance is the reason I decided to become an actor, so I hope you'll like it. As for Leone's other movies: I haven't seen Colossus of Rhodes, but Duck, You Sucker! isn't too bad at all from what I recall.

Modern Times: I loved this movie. I was laughing throughout very loudly and honestly found the ending to this one even more moving than the ones for either City Lights or The Great Dictator. Every segment is full of hope and joy and hilarity, and it's a movie I plan on seeing again very soon.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

7. Broken Blossoms- I liked Intolerance a lot and…appreciated The Birth of a Nation. Let’s see some more Griffith!

10. The Gold Rush- More Chaplin? Well don’t mind if I do!

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

#1 Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before

This must be corrected. Watch this, it actually isn't nearly as confusing as people make it out to be as long as you go with it, and it has this great nightmarish quality that Lynch does really well.

Got around to Broken Blossoms, and...well, I did admire it to a certain point. Griffith doing a much smaller movie than Intolerance or The Birth of a Nation is interesting, the acting is lovely (except from Donald Crisp, who is one effectively horrible bastard in this), and I like that Griffith was still trying to remedy the effect of BOTN. But those other two movies were much more exciting. The epic scope of those films is really what interested me in seeing more Griffith in the first place, and I suppose this one underwhelmed me. Maybe it isn't fair to judge it that way, but it is what it is. The closet scene is really terrific, though.

Updated list:

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

7. Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

10. The Gold Rush- More Chaplin? Well don’t mind if I do!

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

#4 The Maltese Falcon - I like noir and my grandpa told me it was great.

That's because he's a wise man. Watch this.

Finished The Gold Rush. Liked it, but it's my least favorite Chaplin so far. It made me laugh the least of the four I've seen from this thread, and it moved me the least. It's still a good one, but I don't think it'll be the first one I revisit.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

7. Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

10. Any Buster Keaton- Let’s give Chaplin a rest for a while and try one of the other great silent comedians.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

knees of putty posted:

10. Raging Bull. On the shelf, but for some reason I’ve never been able to watch hours of De Niro beating the poo poo out of everyone around him.

This is a great movie and as far as I'm concerned one of the greatest American movies ever made, so I choose this for you. Enjoy.

Finished The General, and was very impressed by it. I don't think I like Keaton as much as I like Chaplin, but the stunts in this film are terrific and I was laughing throughout most of the movie. Not sure I'd call it the greatest comedy ever made like some might, but it's drat good.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

10. Sherlock, Jr.- Here’s another Buster Keaton I haven’t seen that’s probably hilarious.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Nroo posted:

4. Tokyo Story – An other unseen film from the TSPDT list.

This is a beautiful movie and you're going to watch it.

Watched Grave of the Fireflies. Bawled my eyes out. To clarify an earlier post, I said I was afraid I would end up shooting myself because I expected something gut-wrenchingly, viscerally depressing like Requiem for a Dream, a great movie which I look forward to never seeing again. This isn't like that. It's a movie full of incredible beauty and delicacy. It's not an easy watch, but it's an essential one. The film is an unflinchingly honest look at how a brother/sister relationship might look in a situation of incredible desperation. I understand that the writer wrote it as a way to deal with his failure to save his sister in a similar situation. It shows. This is a great movie. I strongly, strongly urge anyone in this thread who hasn't seen it to see it.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

5. The Adventures of Robin Hood- I’ve heard that it’s as fun as movies get.

10. Sherlock, Jr.- Here’s another Buster Keaton I haven’t seen that’s probably hilarious.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

4) Le Cercle Rouge- supposed to be one of the finest heist films made

It is, so watch it.

Finished Red River, really enjoyed it. I don't think it's quite as good as Hawks' Rio Bravo, but it's a well cast, well directed movie with some great performances from John Wayne and Montgomery Clift. Walter Brennan is as fun as ever, too.

Updated list:

3. Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Archyduke posted:

9.) Chungking Express- Haven't seen anything by Wong Kar-Wai. I've heard good things about it, though.

This is a good one. Watch it.

Finished Koyaanisqatski. Not entirely sure what to make of it. It looks fantastic, no doubt, and Phillip Glass' score is terrfic (it actually reminds me of Pink Floyd), but I can't say I'll watch it again anytime soon. I suppose I'm shackled to the concept of story.

Updated list:

2. American Graffiti- I should probably see a non-Star Wars Lucas film.

4. The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

Annie Hall: I've only seen two Woody Allen films: Melinda and Melinda and The Purple Rose of Cairo. I didn't like the former; the latter was good but I wasn't blown away. I feel like I should give Allen more of a chance.

This movie is hilarious and sweet and is generally considered the best place to start with Allen, so watch it.

Finished American Graffiti, really enjoyed it. It really has a sense of the time it's in, and I can totally understand why someone might say that it's hard to see how fresh it was at the time considering all the movies it influenced later on (Dazed and Confused practically seems like Richard Linklater's response to this movie). The doo-wop, surf, and rockabilly soundtrack is a lot of fun, and all the actors give really likeable performances. Ron Howard's performance really makes me want to get into Happy Days now.

Updated list:

2. Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Bown posted:

06) Chinatown - I like noir, and I've yet to see any Polanski.

This is Polanski's best film and my favorite noir, so do this one.

So I misread Flippycunt's post and watched The Kingdom, then quickly realized I'd made a mistake and watched Adventures of Robin Hood.

The Kingdom is a very strange ride which reminds me a lot of Lynch's Eraserhead and Kubrick's The Shining, two films which I love. I didn't care for this quite as much as those, as it's a long slog and I think slightly lesser than these, but it's still quite strong and features some very frightening scenes. I can't say that I'll watch it again, but I liked it.

Adventures of Robin Hood, on the other hand, is pure fun. Errol Flynn is really enjoyable in the lead role, and I like the rest of the cast as well. The fights are terrific, and it has some of the most gorgeous Technicolor I've ever seen. I will watch this again.

Updated list:

2. Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

5. Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

9. Hearts of Darkness- Apocalypse Now is one of my all time favorite films, so why I haven’t see this is beyond me.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

It is excellent. One of my favorite suspense films, and it doesn't feel the need to rush anything. Watch this.

I finally got around to finishing La Dolce Vita. I've found that while I really like Fellini that I need to be in a certain mood to watch one of his movies, because the same thing that happened with me on my first watch of 8 1/2 happened here, where I spent a lot of the time confused and not all that interested in what was going on. And just like with the former, I took a few months to let it be until I felt ready to tackle it, and what do you know, I loved it. Nino Rota's score is stuck in my head as I type this, and the film is absolutely gorgeous to look at. That said, consistently funny and full of life as it is, I was shocked at how cynical it got. Marcello Mastroianni is such a smooth man in 8 1/2 that I expected a lot of that, and while I got quite a bit of that sense of cool from him, his fall from semi-grace is still pretty startling. Images that made me think "what the gently caress was that all about" became very clear by the end of the film, and the more I think about it, the more I marvel at how incredible the whole thing is. Also, I'm a big fan of Nico, so seeing her 2/3 of the way through was a nice surprise.
Updated list:

1. Battle of Algiers- I started it and I liked what I saw, but never got around to the second half.

9. Hearts of Darkness- Apocalypse Now is one of my all time favorite films, so why I haven’t see this is beyond me.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

TenSpadesBeTrump, you get THe Wild Bunch, one of my favorite westerns.

Watched Sherlock, Jr., quite liked it, though mostly for the neat effects. It was reasonably funny, but good as Buster Keaton gets I don't love him as much as Chaplin. Still, I'd recommend this one to anyone who's interested.

Updated list:

1. Battle of Algiers- I started it and I liked what I saw, but never got around to the second half.

10. In the Mood for Love- I absolutely adored Chungking Express but I’m otherwise inexperienced with Wong Kar-wai.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Porcupine Hunted posted:

meanmikhail, I'll give you Hearts of Darkness - and if I may, I will suggest that you read the actual Conrad novel which "Apocalypse" is based on (assuming you haven't).

Edit: (Wait a sec. Are you not talking about the documentary? In that case, for the love of Christ go see Apocalypse Now, then see the documentary.)

Yes, the documentary. I like the Conrad book just fine, and Apocalypse Now is one of my all time favorite movies, so I've meant to check out the doc Hearts of Darkness for a long time.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

penismightier posted:

Chimes at Midnight I know, I know. I started it once and never finished it.

I haven't seen any of these but judging from his Othello Orson Welles and Shakespeare go well together, so this.

Finished off Hearts of Darkness. I was already familiar with most of the production troubles of Apocalypse Now, but seeing them unfold on film gives them a life that had only existed in my imagination before. Seeing Martin Sheen's episode in the hotel room is particularly difficult to watch. Oh, and I love the Welles Heart of Darkness recordings.

Updated list:

9. Hoop Dreams- I don’t care about sports, so I’ve never seen this one. I’m told that you don’t have to like basketball to be moved by this.

10. In the Mood for Love- I absolutely adored Chungking Express but I’m otherwise inexperienced with Wong Kar-wai.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse

EDIT: TrixRabbi, if no one else gets back to you soon I'd recommend Bonnie and Clyde.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

La Dolce Vita:
I like 8 1/2, but I'm not sure if this would be worth the running time.

I was recommended this a while ago and thought it was terrific, so that's what you're getting.

Finished In the Mood for Love. What a beautiful little movie. I slightly prefer Chungking Express in terms of Wong Kar-Wai (Kar-wai Wong?) films, but this is one lovely little movie that never went quite where I expected it to go. From the period detail to the acting to the romance, nothing seems overstated. Everything is exactly just the way it feels it should be. I will watch this again.

Updated list:

9. Hoop Dreams- I don’t care about sports, so I’ve never seen this one. I’m told that you don’t have to like basketball to be moved by this.

10. Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer..

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

The Wages of Fear
Was never on my radar, but it sounds like I'll like it.

This is a great movie. See it.

Got around to Hoop Dreams. What a remarkable movie. I'd put off seeinig it for ages because I have no interest in sports and it's three hours long, and I regret it. This isn't about sports. Or at least it isn't just about sports. It's one of the best looks at race, class, and the American Dream I've ever seen. I'd put it alongside Do the Right Thing in that regard. I can't say that I'm going to watch it over and over again the same way I will Spike Lee's film, but I'm very glad I saw this and would watch it again.

Updated list:

9. Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

tokillthesunflower posted:

Nashville I do love me some Robert Altman.

Well this is his best film, as far as I'm concerned, so there you go.

Swimming to Cambodia is terrific. FFD was right: Spalding Gray is amazing. Now I really want to see Soderbergh's collaboration with him (and that new documentary Soderbergh did about him). He's a hell of a performer with a lot to say and he's articulate enough to say it. I laughed several times throughout and felt almost like I was transported to the late 80s, when he's giving this monologue. It never feels like a lecture, nor does it ever feel like a filmed play. It's a true cinematic experience, which I have to give Jonathan Demme credit for (I really need to see more of his documentaries). I wonder why the hell it took me two years to finally watch my copy of it.

Updated list:

1. The Purple Rose of Cairo- I love Woody Allen and have seen a good chunk of his major films. This is the biggest blind spot for me in his filmography, and it’s a doozy.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

4. 1940s: Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

5. 1950s: Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

6. 1960s: Battle of Algiers- I started it and I liked what I saw, but never got around to the second half.

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams, Swimming to Cambodia

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Battle of Algiers is not immediately available to me and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to track down a copy anytime soon, so if anyone wants to pick something else off of my list for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. The Purple Rose of Cairo- I love Woody Allen and have seen a good chunk of his major films. This is the biggest blind spot for me in his filmography, and it’s a doozy.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

4. 1940s: Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see

This is terrific and my second favorite Mann film after Heat, so check it out.

The Purple Rose of Cairo was an emotional rollercoaster, to coin a phrase. It made me smile in a way only Woody Allen at his best can, and then it absolutely broke my heart at the end. Jeff Daniels is just wonderful in this movie and is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. I loved Mia Farrow in this, too, more so than I have in any of her other collaborations with Allen. I love this movie.

Updated list:

1. The Right Stuff- I’ve seen Kaufman’s The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which is gorgeous. I’ve heard nothing but good things about this one.

6. 1960s: Battle of Algiers- I started it and I liked what I saw, but never got around to the second half.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams, Swimming to Cambodia, The Purple Rose of Cairo

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Whoops, must have been beaten by an inch. Ratedargh, you get Wild Strawberries, which is probably my favorite Bergman and slightly more hopeful than his other films. So there's that!

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

bluefire579 posted:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: It's not that I have an aversion to subtitles, but with the English version coming out soon, it's just seemed easier to wait thus far

This is the only one on your list I've seen, but it's pretty good, so go for it.

Finally, finally, finally got around to The Right Stuff. I loved this movie. I thought Philip Kaufman's The Unbearable Lightness of Being was terrific, but I really wasn't sure how great this could be. I liked Apollo 13 alright, but I don't really get the reverance for it even among non-Ron Howard fans and I wasn't really sure a realistic movie about space travel could be made that interesting. I was a loving idiot. This is as ambitious as American movies get, an epic with great subversive humor about the frenzy surrounding the space race and moving performances that never oversell any of the drama. Everyone is great in this- Sam Shepard, Ed Harris, Dennis Quaid, Fred Ward, Barbara Hershey, Scott Glenn, you name it. This movie is over three hours long, but it goes by so fast you hardly notice. I'm bringing this to my friends ASAP so they can see this incredible movie.

Updated List:

1. Anything by Abbas Kiarostami- I haven’t seen any of his films, but all this talk about Certified Copy has me curious. I have access to Taste of Cherry and Ten.

6. 1960s: The Manchurian Candidate- I’ve heard nothing but good things but never got around to it.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams, Swimming to Cambodia, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The Right Stuff

EDIT: Raging Bull is loving incredible. Don't know what's wrong with y'all.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

bluefire579 posted:

The Passion of Joan of Arc: From what I've heard, a must-see classic

I haven't seen any of these but I've heard this is great, so there you are.

Finished Orpheus. I liked it overall, though I found it confusing at many points. Cocteau's visuals are so interesting that I was willing to follow the film even when I wasn't sure exactly what was going on, and I have a feeling there's a lot of dream logic at work here, so that works well.

Updated list:

1. Anything by Abbas Kiarostami- I haven’t seen any of his films, but all this talk about Certified Copy has me curious. I have access to Taste of Cherry and Ten.

4. 1940s: Mildred Pierce- I loved Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood, couldn’t stand Yankee Doodle Dandy, and feel that I need to see more Michael Curtiz. How about this supposed masterpiece that Todd Haynes is remaking for HBO with Kate Winslet. Also: I’ve never seen a Joan Crawford film.

6. 1960s: The Manchurian Candidate- I’ve heard nothing but good things but never got around to it.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams, Swimming to Cambodia, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The Right Stuff, Orpheus

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Noctaurus posted:

Annie Hall Some light-hearted comedy for the list

And yet it's more than that, so you get to watch it.

I got around to The Manchurian Candidate, which I liked a lot. Whole cast is very good (Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Janet Leigh), and Angela Lansbury is creepy as hell as the mother. One thing: that train sequence is weird as hell. Also, I watched the 2004 remake for comparison's sake and was surprised at how good that one is, actually. It's a smart update with some great work by Meryl Streep and Liev Schreiber in particular.

Updated list:

4. 1940s: Mildred Pierce- I loved Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood, couldn’t stand Yankee Doodle Dandy, and feel that I need to see more Michael Curtiz. How about this supposed masterpiece that Todd Haynes is remaking for HBO with Kate Winslet. Also: I’ve never seen a Joan Crawford film.

6. 1960s: The Umbrellas of Cherbourgh- Love musicals, so why not check out a French New Wave one?

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams, Swimming to Cambodia, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The Right Stuff, Orpheus, The Manchurian Candidate

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

TenSpadesBeTrump, give Brief Encounter a shot. It's a heartbreaking love story, and while many of his films are quite long, this one is comparatively LEAN! (I hate myself and I want to die)

Little Caesar- I was a bit disappointed at first. Edward G. Robinson's performance seemed like every "yeah, see!" gangster cartoon I'd ever seen, and it got on my nerves. But it's a pretty tightly directed movie and he becomes more human (if more ruthless) as time goes on. Also, am I the only one who sees he has some sort of thing for Douglas Fairbanks? Can't blame him. He is one fine looking piece of man.

Updated list:

3. 1930s: I Am A Fugitive on a Chain Gang- I liked Little Caesar pretty well, so logic says I’ll like Mervyn LeRoy’s other most famous movie. I have never seen anything with Paul Muni.

6. 1960s: The Umbrellas of Cherbourgh- Love musicals, so why not check out a French New Wave one?

Finally seen (NOW WITH RATINGS!): The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+)

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

Loved Magnolia! Those three hours felt short really. Kinda amazed that such a young director, and at the start of his career managed to make such a long and intricate movie and come out on top.(Well..YMMV) The superb acting, the fantastic long takes, the great choice in music all that was just perfect. All the coincidences and the connections didn't feel forced like some other movies(CRASH), everything just flowed nicely. I guess the weak link is the weird frog rain, which yeah it comes out of nowhere and seems to set things right, could use maybe a bit more foreshadowing(No dropping around bible cues don't count) but I'm ready to let that go cause everything else was so good.
Still I prefer There Will Be Blood to this, cause despite how fantastic every actor is in this, Daniel Day Lewis is just loving brilliant in that.

Need to work now on the rest of PTA backlog. Well...someday.

Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't give you Magnolia, but I'm glad you loved it, as it is my favorite film of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

#50 Mean Streets - Harvey Keitel's the loving man.

Yes he is. Also, this is my favorite Scorsese outside of the big three. So see this one.

Before I watched the movie assigned to me I managed to track down Battle of Algiers, which was given to me earlier but taken out after I couldn't find a copy. Very good movie. Ennio Morricone's score (co-written with director Gillo Pontecorvo) is as great as ever, alternatively tense(one percussive number actually got me nervous), driving (the bit that is also in Inglourious Basterds) and moving. The performances were all very strong, and the whole film maintains an air of excitement and power.

Yi Yi- What a beautiful movie. I went in knowing almost nothing and was won over almost immediately. It has such a vivid portrait of an everyday family's struggles, desires, and regrets that they feel completely real. It mainly follows the father, his teenaged daughter, and his young son after their grandmother falls ill and mother goes on religious retreat, and there's a number of sequences which sound simple but are remarkably effective and beautiful, namely one where the father's meeting an old flame is juxtaposed with his daughter's first date and any part by the grandmother's bedside. Everything involving the son just about broke my heart, from his troubles at school to his fiddling with a camera throughout the film. It reminded me of my childhood and of my younger brother; that I'm separated from these characters by culture and by a decade didn't matter. It saddens me that Edward Yang isn't around to make more films as gorgeous and full of life as this, because this thing deserves every bit of praise it has received and more.

Updated list:

3. 1930s: I Am A Fugitive on a Chain Gang- I liked Little Caesar pretty well, so logic says I’ll like Mervyn LeRoy’s other most famous movie. I have never seen anything with Paul Muni.

10. 2000s: Talk to Her- I’ve only seen one of Almodovar’s films, Volver, and I liked that very much. I’ve heard universally terrific things about this one.

Finally seen: The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+), The Battle of Algiers (A-), Yi Yi (A)