Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

regulargonzalez posted:

Paths of Glory I'm a huge Kubrick fan so it's kind of strange I've never seen this, except that generally speaking I'm not really a fan of war movies.

Any Kubrick fan should see this, so there you are.

Watched Shane, thought it was terrific. I liked George Stevens' Giant quite a lot, but this outdoes it in every way. It takes on the Johnson County War (not in name, however) in a much more concise and satisfactory way than Michael Cimino's debacle Heaven's Gate, and the performances are all around great (especially a creepy Jack Palance). The real highlight is the directing, which shows a clear influence over later westerns (three or four sequences are similar to Sergio Leone's masterpiece Once Upon a Time in the West). The colors of this film are gorgeous, rivaling John Ford's The Searchers in its depiction of the Old West. Highly recommended.

Updated list:

1. Anything by Abbas Kiarostami- I haven’t seen any of his films, but all this talk about Certified Copy has me curious. I have access to Taste of Cherry and Ten.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: I Am A Fugitive on a Chain Gang- I liked Little Caesar pretty well, so logic says I’ll like Mervyn LeRoy’s other most famous movie. I have never seen anything with Paul Muni.

4. 1940s: Mildred Pierce- I loved Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood, couldn’t stand Yankee Doodle Dandy, and feel that I need to see more Michael Curtiz. How about this supposed masterpiece that Todd Haynes is remaking for HBO with Kate Winslet. Also: I’ve never seen a Joan Crawford film.

5. 1950s: All About Eve- I don’t know too much about this one.

6. 1960s: The Umbrellas of Cherbourgh- Love musicals, so why not check out a French New Wave one?

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Talk to Her- I’ve only seen one of Almodovar’s films, Volver, and I liked that very much. I’ve heard universally terrific things about this one.

Finally seen: The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+), The Battle of Algiers (A-), Yi Yi (A), Shane (A)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Sporadic, go with The Third Man.

Finished All About Eve, thought it was a perfectly good melodrama. I didn't know that much about it going in and was delighted to find it was about the theatre (I'm training to be an actor). I liked a lot of it: Bette Davis is terrific (this was a great introduction to her), Thelma Ritter is hilarious, and I like George Sanders and Celeste Holm as well. Something I noted: it's curious that this was made the same year as Billy Wilder's Sunset Blvd., which is just as cynical about the movie business as this one is about the theatre. Both have talented casts, look great, and have sharp dialogue. AAE is more about the young usurping the old, while SB is more about the business destroying everyone. But where this one missteps is in the character of Eve- she doesn't really feel like a person, which might seem like a silly complaint about a melodrama, but this is a particularly angry and bitter melodrama, and that it treats her character like a cold, calculating monster full of nothing more than ambition seems false to me. Anne Baxter does a fine job with what she has, but she ultimately isn't given a human being to play, which is frustrating considering how hateful this movie and its character are towards her. George Sanders delivers his takedown of her spectacularly, but I finally found it to be more cruel than anything else. I think it's telling that Joe Mankiewicz wrote this after his brother's acclaim for Citizen Kane. The film is so full of bitterness that the villain it created isn't a very well defined character. I don't mind bitchy characters in melodrama (I'm a defender of Scarlett in Gone with the Wind), but something about this one rubbed me the wrong way.

Updated list:

1. Anything by Abbas Kiarostami- I haven’t seen any of his films, but all this talk about Certified Copy has me curious. I have access to Taste of Cherry and Ten.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: I Am A Fugitive on a Chain Gang- I liked Little Caesar pretty well, so logic says I’ll like Mervyn LeRoy’s other most famous movie. I have never seen anything with Paul Muni.

4. 1940s: Mildred Pierce- I loved Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood, couldn’t stand Yankee Doodle Dandy, and feel that I need to see more Michael Curtiz. How about this supposed masterpiece that Todd Haynes is remaking for HBO with Kate Winslet. Also: I’ve never seen a Joan Crawford film.

5. 1950s: The Bad and the Beautiful- Another cynical melodrama about showbiz? Sounds good.

6. 1960s: The Umbrellas of Cherbourgh- Love musicals, so why not check out a French New Wave one?

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Talk to Her- I’ve only seen one of Almodovar’s films, Volver, and I liked that very much. I’ve heard universally terrific things about this one.

Finally seen: The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+), The Battle of Algiers (A-), Yi Yi (A), Shane (A), All About Eve (B-)

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Paris nous appartient Despite loving Celine and Julie I've never seen another Rivette film. Let's start at the beginning.

Haven't seen any of these. I've heard of Rivette, though, and if you liked the film of his I've heard of, then maybe you'll like the one I've never heard of.

Cries and Whispers...hoo boy. I was aware that Bergman had a reputation for being depressing, and I got bits of that from Wild Strawberries, The Sevventh Seal, Persona and Scenes from a Marriage, but I always found one or two moments that filled me with joy or at least some feeling of hope in those films. This one was grueling. I mean that in the best possible sense. The whole cast is terrific and wholly believable as a woman dying of cancer (Harriet Andersson), her loyal maid (Kari Sylwan), and her sisters (Ingrid Thulman and the always wonderful Liv Ullmann) who have discovered in their sister's time of dying that they don't like each other very much. Sven Nykvist is a great cinematographer, but I don't think I really appreciated how integral he was to Bergman's success until I saw this one. Most of the Bergman films I've seen have been in a stark black and white, but the colors of this one show the pain and the fading life from this family (until that ending sequence, which is so full of life that it makes the rest of the film even sadder than it already was). Of the cast, I was most impressed by Thulman, who holds everything close to the chest until near the end (That flashback when she mutilates herself is one of the more difficult things I've had to watch in a while). This film reminded me of another one I've seen recently called Summer Hours by Olivier Assayas. But where that film holds out some hope even after the siblings break apart, this one shows a group of people who seem destined for unhappiness and are unfortunately unable to rely on each other to bring each other up.

Updated list:

5. 1950s: The Bad and the Beautiful- Another cynical melodrama about showbiz? Sounds good.

7. 1970s: Cabaret/All That Jazz- I’ve heard that Fosse made some pretty good musicals. I like me some musicals.

Finally seen: The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+), The Battle of Algiers (A-), Yi Yi (A), Shane (A), All About Eve (B-), Cries and Whispers (A)

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

Rosemary's Baby: I rented this recently and accidentally autobought it. Since now I own it, I may as well watch it sometime.

This is a great movie and as long as you already have it you might as well check it out.

Finally checked out I am a Fugitive on a Chain Gang. This movie captures the post-war to Depression era woes pretty well, and in no small part due to Paul Muni, whose transformation from idealistic everyman to hopeless fugitive is heartbreaking. Hearily recommended.

Also got tired of waiting around and watched Prizzi's Honor. Very good movie, smart send-up of the mafia pictures of the time without seeming too jokey, good work from Jack Nicholson and Kathleen Turner, but William Hickey and Angelica Huston completely steal it. Hickey's raspy deliveries had my chuckling throughout, and Huston is completely believable as a daughter manipulating her mobster relatives and as someone who's going to manipulate Jack Nicholson for years to come. Also: kind of funny to see Nicholson playing someone who just isn't really very bright.

Updated list:

1. Anything by Abbas Kiarostami- I haven’t seen any of his films, but all this talk about Certified Copy has me curious.

3. 1930s: 42nd Street- I will watch a musical in this thread if it kills me.

7. 1970s: Cabaret/All That Jazz- I’ve heard that Fosse made some pretty good musicals. I like me some musicals.

8. 1980s: Melvin and Howard- I love Jonathan Demme. I’ve heard this might be his best film.

Finally seen: The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+), The Battle of Algiers (A-), Yi Yi (A), Shane (A), All About Eve (B-), Cries and Whispers (A), Prizzi’s Honor (B+), I am a Fugitive on a Chain Gang (A-)

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

I recall liking this, check it out.

Resuming my participation after a long time away. Saw 42nd Street as requested long ago, really enjoyed it (along with the other Busby Berkley musicals I watched alongside it). Lots of fun, uses film as a medium in a way most modern movie musicals don't, great sense of Depression-era America.

Also watched Melvin and Howard for something I'm writing about Jonathan Demme, absolutely adored it. It's a really sprawling slice of Americana packed into 90 minutes with those great Demme touches (warmth, fluid cinematography, quirk without being overbearing, great use of music, sense that supporting characters could hijack the movie).

Updated list:

1. Taste of Cherry- really loved Certified Copy, would like to check out more Kiarostami.

3. 1930s: The Thin Man- I've heard nothing but great things/exasperation that I haven't checked this out.

8. 1980s: Matewan- really loved Lone Star, otherwise unfamiliar with John Sayles.

Finally seen: The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+), The Battle of Algiers (A-), Yi Yi (A), Shane (A), All About Eve (B-), Cries and Whispers (A), Prizzi’s Honor (B+), I am a Fugitive on a Chain Gang (A-), 42nd Street (B+), Melvin and Howard (A)

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Modern Times - I've never seen a Chaplin movie.

Well that ends now.

Finished Taste of Cherry today. Glad I saw Certified Copy first, as it gave me some idea as to what Kiarostami's rhythms were like. I love how he frames his characters to accentuate their isolation (and these amateur actors are phenomenal). The "life is precious" storyline isn't unique, but it's all very delicately and superbly wrought by Kiarostami and friends. Not sure I know what purpose the final five minutes serve, but I understand Kiarostami likes blurring the lines between reality and fiction, so I'll have to revisit this after I check out a few more of his films.

Updated list:

1. Anything by Krzysztof Kieslowski- I have seen nothing by this guy, and I've heard that he was one of the finest directors of his time. So what's it gonna be? The Decalogue? The Double Life of Veronique? Trois Coleurs?

3. 1930s: The Thin Man- I've heard nothing but great things/exasperation that I haven't checked this out.

8. 1980s: Matewan- really loved Lone Star, otherwise unfamiliar with John Sayles.

Finally seen: The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+), The Battle of Algiers (A-), Yi Yi (A), Shane (A), All About Eve (B-), Cries and Whispers (A), Prizzi’s Honor (B+), I am a Fugitive on a Chain Gang (A-), 42nd Street (B+), Melvin and Howard (A), Taste of Cherry (A-)

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Jurgan posted:

81. Irreversible- This is supposed to be really disturbing. I got a few minutes in a while back, but had to stop because the weird camera angles and flashing lights were making my wife sick.

It's a tough sit, but I'd argue it's worth it.

Checked back and realized it's been two years since I last looked at this thread. I was last assigned 42nd Street, which I saw a few months ago and thought was absolutely delightful. Everything that Busby Berkley did with the musical in the 1930s was perfect for the era- a little social commentary, a little comedy, a whole lot of dancing and singing. Grade: 94/A

Updated list:

1. Anything by Rainer Werner Fassbinder- Tell me where to start, CineD.

3. 1930s: The 39 Steps- a lot of people consider this to be Hitch's first great movie, so I should probably check it out.

6. 1960s: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg- Love musicals, so why not check out a French New Wave one?

7. 1970s: The Harder they Come- I love the soundtrack, so I should probably actually watch the drat thing.

8. 1980s: Burden of Dreams- I love Fitzcarraldo, so I should probably watch its companion piece.

Finally seen: The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+), The Battle of Algiers (A-), Yi Yi (A), Shane (A), All About Eve (B-), Cries and Whispers (A), Prizzi’s Honor (A-), Cabaret (A), All That Jazz (A), I Am a Fugitive on a Chain Gang (A-), 42nd Street (94/A)

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

Rome, Open City Early Italian Neo-Realism.

I watched this about a month ago and really dug it, so I hope you do, too.

The 39 Steps- I'm as big a Hitchcock fan as the next person, but I'd never seen this early Macguffin movie. Glad to have caught up with it, because it's a blast, from Hitchcock's incredibly racy material (Donat being forced via handcuff to touch Carroll's legs, the Scottish housewise who clearly wants to sleep with the man, the whole Smith character) to early hints of his pitch-black sense of humor (Donat making wisecracks about murder after Carroll doesn't believe him, the scream/train whistle match cut). I can see how someone who thinks of Hitch as a sadist might find the Donat/Carroll material problematic, but there's too much playfulness to the whole thing for it to really bother me. Still a notch below North By Northwest in terms of Hitchcock in pure showman mode, but drat great stuff. Grade: 96/A

Updated list:

1. Anything by Rainer Werner Fassbinder- Tell me where to start, CineD.

3. 1930s: The Lady Vanishes- Why not continue with early Hitchcock?

6. 1960s: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg- Love musicals, so why not check out a French New Wave one?

7. 1970s: The Harder they Come- I love the soundtrack, so I should probably actually watch the drat thing.

8. 1980s: Burden of Dreams- I love Fitzcarraldo, so I should probably watch its companion piece.

Finally seen: The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+), The Battle of Algiers (A-), Yi Yi (A), Shane (A), All About Eve (B-), Cries and Whispers (A), Prizzi’s Honor (A-), Cabaret (A), All That Jazz (A), I Am a Fugitive on a Chain Gang (A-), 42nd Street (94/A), The 39 Steps (96/A)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Zogo posted:

I was reading through your past reviews and noticed that you actually did post a few times in 2012 and were assigned The Big Parade ~1 year ago:

Well, poo poo. Alright, I'll watch Mildred Pierce and The Big Parade before I come back, will readjust the list to bring back the earlier films I listed.