Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fayez Butts posted:

Citizen Kane: Yeah. Currently at number 21 on my Netflix Queue, after such gems as (the recent) The Day The Earth Stood Still and Blade. I'm not really trying.

I realize you've already been recommended a movie, but when you get around to see this, I'd say the best way to watch Citizen Kane is to watch the movie, and then watch it again with Ebert's commentary. Not sure which DVD has the commentary, but it's required listening (imo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Beef Jerky Robot: Watch Pulp Fiction asap my man.

It's a Wonderful Life - Every Christmas I'm looked at like a half-wit as to how I could have possibly avoided seeing this movie. I guess it's always been made fun of as overly sappy so I've had a bad taste in my mouth about it.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this until it's the last film to complete on the top 250. I'm also just assuming it's a musical based on clips I've seen...it's a musical, right?

On the Waterfront - I know the speech, the plot outline, and have heard this is one of the great acting performances of all time, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - everybody on my Criticker list seems to love this movie, but I hadn't even heard of it until a couple of years ago. I'm ambivalent on Herzog, although I've only seen a handful of his movies. Some movies of his I love; others I despise.

The Graduate - I've seen the ending, just never seen the whole movie.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I thought it was only a song on the oldies station.

8 1/2 - Is this a musical or am I just thinking that because of the hellspawn Rob Marshall? Either way, I haven't seen it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I loved the hell out of that movie, but I can see where some would say that it was overly silly and/or simplistic. In my opinion, though, it strikes the perfect tone.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Psmith posted:

The Good the Bad the Ugly - I have an aversion to Westerns for whatever reason and that has led to be never bothering to check this out despite all the great things I've heard. I have been enjoying Red Dead Redemption so maybe the time is right

I'm playing Red Dead right now and I'm fairly certain the makers had The Man with No Name trilogy in mind when formulating this game (not the plot....just the essence and feel of the game). The score, in particular, is mimicking Ennio Morricone's amazing scores...so you will feel right at home watching (and listening) to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. You also want to round it out by watching For a Few Dollars More & Fistful of Dollars (the other two films). My ringtone right now is actually the theme from For a Few Dollars More :v:

Arkane fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 3, 2010

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
bah, meant to hit edit

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I haven't seen Koyaanisqatsi either, but I'm waiting to either see it in theaters or on Blu-Ray (eta: it has yet to come out on Blu-Ray and plays very intermittently in theaters). I saw Baraka for the first time on Blu-Ray and that was quite an enjoyable experience. I watched the opening scene of Koyaanisqatsi on Youtube (the whole movie is on there, put up by MGM), and I was enthralled by it, but I decided to not go any further with it so as to let the first viewing of the movie be the way it was intended to be viewed.

If you've seen the Planet Earth miniseries, you know what I'm talking about; people should be barred from ever watching that in standard definition.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 7, 2010

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Twin Cinema, as a segue to the film that was chosen for me, I choose Once Upon a Time in the West for you. Runtime isn't much of an issue as all concepts of space and time will be forgotten when the main female character is on the screen. You already love Leone, so not much needs to be said.

Per the recommendation for me, I watched 8 1/2, and I liked it, but didn't love it. The structure turned me off a bit, although I understood what he was doing (memories versus reality versus dreams). It seemed like a project someone would come up with at 3am the morning before the assignment was due...and it was pretty much that. And for something dreamed up at the last minute, it was done incredibly well & the characters/acting/sets were engrossing (especially the 'harem' dream scene). It just irked me a bit that he was sort of taking a creative shortcut. I also think that much of the movie was done on the fly, which didn't take away from the movie (quite the opposite), but probably contributed a bit to the (purposefully) disjointed structure.

It was also a little too 'meta' for my tastes (in the same way as Adaptation by Kaufman). When you want to pause the movie and read up about the guy on Wikipedia before continuing, the film is too meta (imo).

I'm cognizant that the movie is widely acclaimed so I'm a bit disappointed in my not liking it....perhaps I need to see more Fellini then come back to this. I certainly wouldn't mind watching any movie with Cardinale a second time :monocle:

Updated list

Arkane posted:

It's a Wonderful Life - Every Christmas I'm looked at like a half-wit as to how I could have possibly avoided seeing this movie. I guess it's always been made fun of as overly sappy so I've had a bad taste in my mouth about it.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this until it's the last film to complete on the top 250. I'm also just assuming it's a musical based on clips I've seen...it's a musical, right?

On the Waterfront - I know the speech, the plot outline, and have heard this is one of the great acting performances of all time, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - everybody on my Criticker list seems to love this movie, but I hadn't even heard of it until a couple of years ago. I'm ambivalent on Herzog, although I've only seen a handful of his movies. Some movies of his I love; others I despise.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I thought it was only a song on the oldies station.

8 1/2 - Is this a musical or am I just thinking that because of the hellspawn Rob Marshall? Either way, I haven't seen it.

A Fellini movie not named 8 1/2 - I can tell watching 8 1/2 that I'll like his movies, so pick one!

Ed Wood - Burton only intermittently entertains me with his movies, but I'd like to see what most consider his best film to give him another chance.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 7, 2010

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wolfgang Pauli, life is a precious thing that could be cut short at any time, so it would remiss of me to recommend anything other than The Godfather Part II.

As far as my recommendation, I liked Ed Wood a lot! It was a cross between a biopic and a fanpic, stylistically done to reinforce Wood's personality. Reading Burton's comments about Wood after I finished the movie made it clear that Burton was fascinated by the man/his delusions. That definitely shone through in the movie, and made it all the better.

The wrap party scene in the meat packing warehouse with Sarah Jessica Parker's outburst bears a repeat viewing those that've seen it already...just hilarious (don't click if you haven't seen it, scene is at the 3:25 mark).

Arkane posted:

A Fellini movie not named 8 1/2 - I can tell watching 8 1/2 that I'll like his movies, so pick one!

Ed Wood - Burton only intermittently entertains me with his movies, but I'd like to see what most consider his best film to give him another chance.

The Last Waltz - Directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this documentary (should I be in the mood to listen to music, watch a movie, or do both?)

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hellbunny, you shall watch City of God, which is a brilliant film. The director - Fernando Meirelles - has the unique distinction of directing one of my favorite movies of all time (Cidade) & one of my most hated movies (Blindness). Odd, that.

Per the recommendation for me, I finally watched Aguirre. While I enjoyed the hell out of the story-line, the scenery (!), and the cinematography, the movie itself was too Herzogy for me. The Aguirre character just didn't do it for me unfortunately. And the ending with the monkey 'kingdom', come on now, you're just banging me over the head. I decided to watch the movie again, this time with commentary, and actually liked it slightly less -- although the lengths that the cast/crew went to in order to film the movie would probably make an incredible documentary. And what the hell happened to Del Negro, the guy who played the monk/priest? Seemed like the type of role that could launch a career. All in all, I liked the movie, but Herzog continues to be hit or miss for me.

Updated list:

Arkane posted:

8 1/2 A Fellini movie not named 8 1/2 - I can tell watching 8 1/2 that I'll like his movies, so pick one!

Ed Wood Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I've seen the peyote episode of Sopranos, so I'm not sure if watching this would be a bit redundant.

The Last Waltz - Directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this documentary (should I be in the mood to listen to music, watch a movie, or do both?)

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

The Elephant Man - Avoided for obvious reasons...mistake?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's about the Elephant Man

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Neilpeartnoy: The Apartment is a great little movie; go forth and enjoy it.

I watched my recommendation, It's a Wonderful Life, and loved it. Far from being pure 'message' fluff, George felt like a real, relatable character because he was so conflicted about his future/resistant to his fate. That little hesitation in Potter's office was a great scene. Even the whole angels subplot part didn't come across as silly because it was so simple.

Updated list:

It's a Wonderful Life
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this under normal circumstances.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God
The Elephant Man - Avoided for obvious reasons [it's about an elephant man]...mistake?

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I had only heard of the song on the oldies station. Apparently it's not only a movie, but one that many people like.

8 1/2

Ed Wood
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I've seen the peyote episode of Sopranos, so I'm not sure if watching this would be a bit redundant.

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
FancyMike, you should watch the epic Ben-Hur. It won 11 Academy Awards, saved MGM from bankruptcy, and contains probably the most complicated sequence ever filmed (the chariot race). Behold, the power of Jesus.

I watched the movie Amarcord, and can't say that I cared for it very much. I liked the arcing/cyclical nature of the story and the characters were interesting, but the film never took hold of me.

Updated list:

It's a Wonderful Life
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this under normal circumstances.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God
The Elephant Man - Avoided for obvious reasons [it's about an elephant man]...mistake?

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I had only heard of the song on the oldies station. Apparently it's not only a movie, but one that many people like.

8 1/2
Amarcord
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography

Ed Wood
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I've seen the peyote episode of Sopranos, so I'm not sure if watching this would be a bit redundant.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Peaceful Anarchy your mission is The Man Who Fell to Earth. It's a strange film with surreal imagery that stars David Bowie in his feature film debut. The film has achieved cult status. It has a running time of 138 minutes. I have not yet seen the movie myself so I'll refrain from further quoting the wikipedia entry...good luck man.

I watched On the Waterfront, one of my shameful entries. I wasn't blown away by the movie, but I really enjoyed it. Great acting by all involved (and credit to the director as well, who may or may not be a communist subversive). Thanks for the recommendation, but now I am filled with shame that I have not seen A Streetcar Named Desire, which will now be added to the list.

Going to add Criticker tiers on films that I've now watched as a way to pass judgment on the film recommenders.

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10

On the Waterfront - Tier 9
A Streetcar Named Desire - Brando, Malden, Kazan, and Ms. O'Hara. The title strikes me as a bit feminine, which is probably why I haven't had any desire to see this movie.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7

Ed Wood - Tier 9

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Something along the lines of....be forewarned: this movie will be about a guy with elephantisis.

I'm not trying to poke fun; I just don't think I'd be comfortable. I'm probably wrong.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think you've just stumbled upon Tim Burton's vision for Johnny Depp's character in the remake.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Peaceful Anarchy you are tasked with the epic silent film Napoleon.

For my part, I watched The Graduate. Enjoyable movie with a great ending. I loved the cinematography...quite a few memorable images. Two complaints: actors were a bit wooden aside from Mrs. Robinson and the Paul Simon songs didn't always match the tone of the scenes (although we're a bit spoiled nowadays by masterful soundtracks).

A Streetcar Named Desire - Brando, Malden, Kazan, and Ms. O'Hara. The title strikes me as a bit feminine, which is probably why I haven't had any desire to see this movie.

The Elephant Man - I've always been interested in this sci-fi classic about a half-elephant/half-man hybrid.

The Graduate - Tier 9
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Another Nichols work...and considering I've seen neither Elizabeth Taylor nor Richard Burton in a movie, might as well start at the top.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7

Ed Wood - Tier 9

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I knew this day would come

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've finished my movie but man...someone else do Peaceful Anarchy; I've had him twice in a row. I want to recommend a movie I genuinely love.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If The Soup were a movie, it'd be the sole inhabitant of my Tier 11.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
After myself finding 8 1/2 a bit too 'easy' of a film (and troubled that I liked - but didn't love - a film so adored), I found solace in the fact that Pauline Kael penned this notion many moons ago.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Vertigo, assuming you don't have a fear of wild crustaceans, you should watch Annie Hall. Brilliant comedy. Also, between me and you, it's Infernal Affairs (everyone makes that mistake).

Alright, my movie recommendation was - much to my dismay - a musical entitled Singin in the Rain. While acknowledging that I zoned out in pretty much every dance number (aside from the titular scene & the sequence where they copied Joseph Gordon-Levitt), the movie was actually really good. Through a clever script/story and pleasant characters, the film does an excellent job at bringing a smile to your face. It's probably impossible to watch the movie without grinning at least a few times and rooting for the main characters. Nice one on the recommendation.

Updated List:

Singing in the Rain - Tier 9
Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie, which I thoroughly hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

The Elephant Man - Since childhood, I've yearned to see this polemic of the elephant planet ruled by the wayward astronaut.

The Graduate - Tier 9
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Another Nichols work...and considering I've seen neither Elizabeth Taylor nor Richard Burton in a movie, might as well start at the top.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography (feel free to recommend an alternate Fellini work!).

Ed Wood - Tier 9

Arkane fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 10, 2010

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jolo: Infernal Affairs. If you liked The Departed, I'm positive you'll like it. And it's different enough that you won't feel its a retread. Very well put-together film.

I watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I can't say I cared for it outside of the acting; the entire subplot and/or main plot of the fake son around which they fashioned games didn't intrigue me. The often witty dialogue was interesting, but not engaging or relatable. Similar to a screenplay by Mamet, you're just never going to meet people that talk like this. However, after finishing it, I read a theory that both Nick and Honey are possibly imaginary which would probably elevate the film to one of the best films I've ever seen based on (1) sheer originality and (2) the fact that THAT would be a drat difficult game. Doesn't seem reasonable, though, that this is even remotely true. All things considered, just above average for me I am afraid.

Updated List:

Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie, which I thoroughly hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

The Elephant Man - David Lynch done good on this one I hear.

The Graduate - Tier 9
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7
A Man for All Seasons - Also based on a play, this beat Virginia Woolf in nearly every category in the Oscars en route to a near-sweep of its categories. Surely must be good. This wasn't ever on my RADAR, and I have no clue what it's about outside of characters, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I had only heard the title in reference to the song on the oldies station. Apparently it's not only a movie, but one that many people like.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography (feel free to recommend an alternate Fellini work!).

Ed Wood - Tier 9

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Falling asleep during The Great Escape is downright unpatriotic :911:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
mikewozere: Amadeus. What's the most distinct laugh in the world? You will know the answer to this question, amongst many others, after you have seen the amazing Amadeus.

I watched my recommendation of A Streetcar Named Desire and I'll say that it now holds the distinction of the best acted movie I've seen. drat was it good. Didn't much like Gone with the Wind so hadn't really considered Vivien Leigh to be one of the greats until watching this...she most definitely is.

Updated List:

A Streetcar Named Desire - Tier 10
East of Eden - I have seen Rebel Without a Cause and fell asleep halfway through Giant with little interest in returning (oh it's "sprawling" alright), but the one film of Mr. Dean's that I haven't seen is East of Eden. Also directed by Elia Kazan. I am eager to see this one.

The Graduate - Tier 9
A Man for All Seasons - Also based on a play, this beat Virginia Woolf in nearly every category in the Oscars en route to a near-sweep of its categories. Surely must be good (I think?). This wasn't ever on my RADAR, and I have no clue what it's about outside of characters, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I had only heard the title in reference to the song on the oldies station. Apparently it's not only a movie, but one that many people like.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7

Ed Wood - Tier 9
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I'm not sure how I have never seen this. I know what it's about...I think. And I know of and about Hunter S. Thompson. But I have never seen one second of this film.

The Last Waltz - Well-reviewed documentary directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nroo: Enjoy the life of a certain Mister Barry Lyndon, although I'm not sure its underrated as much as underseen.

I was recommended Stand by Me and while I generally liked the movie and loved the idea of the ending, I felt it was too short. I barely knew the kids and wasn't that involved with the concluding arc of the story....but then again I guess the narrator barely knew their personal lives either. On one positive note, I'm thinking about integrating into my upcoming Best Man speech a variation on that final line: "I never had any friends later on like the ones that I had when I was twelve." True story, man.

East of Eden - I have seen Rebel Without a Cause and fell asleep halfway through Giant with little interest in returning (oh it's "sprawling" alright), but the one film of Mr. Dean's that I haven't seen is East of Eden. Also directed by Elia Kazan. I am eager to see this one.

The Graduate - Tier 9
A Man for All Seasons - Also based on a play, this beat Virginia Woolf in nearly every category in the Oscars en route to a near-sweep of its categories. Surely must be good (I think?). This wasn't ever on my RADAR, and I have no clue what it's about outside of characters, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Stand by Me - Tier 7
Hannah and her Sisters - I've seen pretty much all of Woody Allen's early work and all of his recent work, but nothing in between. Seems like a good enough place to start.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7

Ed Wood - Tier 9
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I'm not sure how I have never seen this. I know what it's about...I think. And I know of and about Hunter S. Thompson. But I have never seen one second of this film.

The Last Waltz - Well-reviewed documentary directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kull, I similarly doubt that you won't enjoy Bridge on the River Kwai. Good luck in your mission man.

I watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The word bananas has never been more appropriate. Hilarious, poignant, and insane all rolled into one. I give Gilliam a lot of credit because I can only imagine after watching the movie what the book was like, and adapting a book like that for the screen is quite an accomplishment. All that being said, not sure it stacks up to other films in terms of quality, but definitely worth the watch for the experience.

Updated List:

The Graduate - Tier 9

Stand by Me - Tier 7
Hannah and her Sisters - I've seen pretty much all of Woody Allen's early work and all of his recent work, but nothing in between. Seems like a good enough place to start.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7

Ed Wood - Tier 9
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7
Shakespeare in Love - In the spirit of this thread, this is a film that I would probably never see in my lifetime unless by happenstance or being forced. It won Best Picture over one of my favorite movies of all time (Thin Red Line) as well as Saving Private Ryan. I am avoiding this movie out of sheer principal, and have no guilt about criticizing it unwatched. To be truthful, I'm afraid I'll like it!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Vorpal: You should watch City of God. Your imagination is playing tricks on you.

I was tasked with watching Shakespeare in Love by my recommender, for reasons I can only surmise were sadistic in nature. Well turns out the joke is on you man, because - slightly to my dismay - I really liked the movie! It's occasionally too cute and too silly (i.e. the entirety of Geoffrey Rush's over-the-top performance), but the screenplay was just so drat good. The flow, the characters, the made-up romance that tied together the whole story, and the hilarious one-liners...they all worked. I even caught myself smiling when Ben Affleck makes his grand entrance (how horrifying is that?). But the real reason I loved the movie is because of Gwyneth Paltrow. How is someone that beautiful and that talented? Life is just not fair. The performance was so good I'm even going to forgive her for giving her children those ridiculous names ("what shall we name our son that so that he doesn't get the poo poo kicked out of him at school? we shall name him engelbert!").

It still shouldn't have beat The Thin Red Line/Saving Private Ryan/Life is Beautiful but its not as egregious as I always assumed.

Updated List:

On the Waterfront - Tier 9, A Streetcar Named Desire - Tier 10

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7

Stand by Me - Tier 7

8 1/2 - Tier 9, Amarcord - Tier 7

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9
Elizabeth - Joseph Fiennes again? What the hell is going on.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That is the single most random list in this thread. Scott Pilgrim isn't even out yet!

Not making fun; just marveling in its randomness.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
People in 20 years aren't going to want to watch anything that isn't in immersive 3D, let alone black and white.

Marioinblack: I want to recommend just about all of those. But Back to the Future it is...pop culture value edges it in front.

I watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and despite some off-puting facial acting from Stewart (which Capra repeated with Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace), it was a great little film. I'm thinking Capra said to him "you need to look like a deer in the headlights" and to Stewart's credit, he looked exactly like a deer in the headlights during a few of the scenes. Well, regardless, the story was drat good (and a bit edgy at the time I imagine) and Claude Rains did his usual thing by stealing every scene he was in.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Tier 10
The Adventures of Robin Hood - Going to veer off the Capra/Stewart track for a Claude Rains movie I haven't seen.

Stand by Me - Tier 7

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9

Arkane fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 13, 2010

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
PA you are getting the only movie I've heard of, and that is Reds. Good luck with the commies, they're a nasty bunch.

I watched The Elephant Man and - cognizant of the fact that it's so adored - I didn't particularly care for it. For me, the vignette-style editing was a turn off, the really unrealistic plot felt forced for Hollywood storytelling, and at the end I didn't care for the character as much as I should have. There was a powerful story to tell here, and for just about everyone, such a story was told. But for me it wasn't, unfortunately. The Adagio for Strings was a great touch, though, as was the final scene and final shot.

Updated List:

The Adventures of Robin Hood - Going to veer off the Capra/Stewart track for a Claude Rains movie I haven't seen.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8, The Elephant Man - Tier 5
I, Claudius - 1970s miniseries - featuring Mr. John Hurt - about the Roman empire. I've heard of the book, but didn't know this was a miniseries. With a 9.3 on IMDB, color me interested.

Stand by Me - Tier 7

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wait for the Blu-ray on Koyaanisqatsi or see it in theaters. Don't be tempted to watch it in low-def!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jedrick: 2001: A Space Odyssey. Tempted to recommend Fistful because I also played Red Dead and you're pretty spot on here, but I'd say 2001 should be higher on the priorities. Try not to think of the hype and just let the movie do its thing.

I watched Elizabeth, rounding out the 1998 Best Picture nominees, and can't say it was my cup of tea. 'Style over substance' popped into my mind...'period piece porn' seems a little too harsh...ultimately it just didn't stick. Ah well. It was pretty trippy - after just watching Shakespeare in Love - seeing both Joseph Fiennes and Geoffrey Rush in completely different roles in movies set in 16th Century England.

Updated List:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Going to veer off the Capra/Stewart track for a Claude Rains movie I haven't seen.

I, Claudius - 1970s miniseries - featuring Mr. John Hurt - about the Roman empire. I've heard of the book, but didn't know this was a miniseries. With a 9.3 on IMDB, color me interested.

Stand by Me - Tier 7

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9, Elizabeth - Tier 5
La Haine - Thought I painted myself into a bit of a corner with this string, but wait...La Haine with Vincent Cassell is a movie I've never heard of but has amazingly good reviews. Voila.

Bowling for Columbine - Last Waltz got no love, so I'm subbing in a documentary that I'd probably never see under normal circumstances. I don't usually like documentaries that push hard on one agenda, though.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 19, 2010

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jedrick, I'll go ahead and recommend you A Fistful of Dollars now, but I will add the caveat that it's the weakest of the Man with No Name trilogy (which isn't to say that it's bad - it's not at all - only that it gets much better).

I watched Bowling for Columbine. I liked the beginning, and some of the movie was very entertaining/insightful, so I didn't completely hate it, but all too often he presents one side, and sometimes completely misrepresents what he is portraying. And the whole 'white people hate brown people' 20-30 minute long tirade in the middle of the movie muddies the thesis (in addition to the fact that it's completely idiotic). It was a noble effort trying to pursue the answer to the question of 'what is it about America that lends itself to such a high murder rate?' but I just don't think he did a very good job of it.

Updated List:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Going to veer off the Capra/Stewart track for a Claude Rains movie I haven't seen.

Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie (Dogville), which I hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

Stand by Me - Tier 7

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9, Elizabeth - Tier 5
La Haine - Thought I painted myself into a bit of a corner with this string, but wait...La Haine with Vincent Cassell is a movie I've never heard of but has amazingly good reviews. Voila.

Bowling for Columbine - Tier 5
Capturing the Friedmans - I don't know much about this movie, but it frequently ranks amongst top recent documentaries, and has good reviews.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bodnoirbabe - you have to get through the slow first part, because The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of the best movies ever made.

I watched Hannah and her Sisters and it was drat good. Some films you can tell in the first 5 minutes you're going to love it, and it was definitely true here. The final scene where Woody's character got his proof, a la her pregnancy brought a smile to my face.

Updated List:

Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie (Dogville), which I hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

Stand by Me - Tier 7, Hannah and her Sisters - Tier 10
Crimes and Misdemeanors - Woody's direct follow-on to Hannah and her Sisters, another film in the middle of Allen's filmography that I haven't seen.

Bowling for Columbine - Tier 5
Capturing the Friedmans - I don't know much about this movie, but it frequently ranks amongst top recent documentaries, and has good reviews.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
PA you gotta see The Cove. Amazing documentary.

I watched Capturing the Friedmans and this is second best documentary I've seen behind Hoop Dreams, displacing...The Cove. It covers the gamut as far as topics: from mass hysteria to the power of suggestion to police investigative tactics to the breakdown of a family in the face of crisis. But most of all, it brings to mind the importance of "innocent until proven guilty" and how that is sort thrown by the wayside sometimes. Here's my take on the charges in the case: Given the complete lack of physical evidence, they are innocent, because there is PLENTY of 'reasonable doubt.' Definite parallels to the McMartin case which I just read about after watching the movie; the media played an even bigger role in that case.

Updated List:

Crimes and Misdemeanors - Woody's direct follow-on to Hannah and her Sisters, another film in the middle of Allen's filmography that I haven't seen.

Bowling for Columbine - Tier 5, Capturing the Friedmans - Tier 10
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara - I try to veer away from documentaries on controversial subjects because I'm very opinionated and it's easy for me to get annoyed with something minor. So I've never seen this, but I do like Errol Morris documentaries and this did beat Capturing the Friedmans for the Oscar.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Atheistdeals.com posted:

9. Moon-Another modern movie that I've seen praised constantly.

This one is good. And Notorious was a good choice.

I watched A Man for All Seasons and just generally found it to be mediocre, although you gotta admire the guy for sticking to his principles. A lot of exposition, some of which didn't really translate for me from the play to the screen. John Hurt was pretty good here as the Judas-type character, as was whoever played the King. Orson Welles was pretty much unrecognizable, and didn't really stand out either.

Updated List:

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7, A Man for All Seasons - Tier 7
The Best Years of Our Lives - Another Best Picture winner I've never seen.

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara - I try to veer away from documentaries on controversial subjects because I'm very opinionated and it's easy for me to get annoyed with something minor. So I've never seen this, but I do like Errol Morris documentaries and this did beat Capturing the Friedmans for the Oscar.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You should watch Barton Fink which is an underrated (or at least underseen) Coen bros film.

I watched Nights of Cabiria. It was a movie. Not going to type anything more because I think this is best watched with a clean slate.

Updated List:

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7, A Man for All Seasons - Tier 7

8 1/2 - Tier 9, Amarcord - Tier 7, Nights of Cabiria - Tier 10
La Strada - Plugging along with Fellini.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've recommend you two of three, so let's make it three of four. You should see The Thin Blue Line which is a pretty drat good & innovative documentary (bear in mind the year) in its own right, but is probably more important because of all of the various impacts it had.

I watched La Haine. Vincent Cassel was good, and I liked the scene with the old guy in the bathroom. Didn't relate to the movie in general and none of the conclusion had much of an impact on me. Probably unfair for me to rate it; I blame Criticker.

Updated List:

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9, Elizabeth - Tier 5, La Haine - Tier 7
The Battle of Algiers - Another film dealing with flaws of the French.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

VorpalBunny posted:

Yeah, it was pretty hard to watch. Kids strolling through slums shooting each other, robbing people, smoking weed, and just generally being killed by the dozens? It felt like a hosed up mix of Trainspotting and Pulp Fiction by way of The Godfather. With children. I had no idea it was a period piece, so that was an interesting twist.

It was hard to watch? Man I have the worst memory of everyone I know, but still, I remember it principally as a coming-of-age story, with flashes of violence and a gritty tone. I'm reading the parent's guide on IMDB and you are definitely correct...I guess my mind was the one playing tricks on me haha. Sorry about that! Hopefully you liked it nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Andrei Rublev for you too!

I watched The Adventures of Robin Hood. It was an effort to sit through, even at only 100 minutes. The movie has an explosion of color that even the Lucky Charms leprechaun couldn't conjure up; suffice it to say that the movie is JARRINGLY colorful. The costumes look like have to be the result of handing a coloring book to a child. Robin Hood's costume features...glitter. I guess I shouldn't be caught up with these things because it is 70 years later, but as a 2010 viewer it is all a bit too much. I already knew the story by heart having grown up with the Disney version and seen other iterations, so I can't speak much to that other than to say that had I seen this one first the adventure story aspects would have been a bit more fresh. Chemistry between Robin and Marian was pretty good, but they didn't have all that many scenes together. Now, in the context of 1938, I am guessing this was a great movie, so I have to balance my animus with the historical importance. So all things considered, I just found the movie okay.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Tier 10, The Adventures of Robin Hood - Tier 6
You Can't Take it With You - The 1938 Best Picture winner...Jimmy Stewart directed by Capra. Results so far have been good.

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9, Elizabeth - Tier 5, La Haine - Tier 7
The Battle of Algiers - Another film dealing with flaws of the French.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 1, 2010