Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Delvaris, watch Blade Runner. Try to get your hands on The Final Cut, but by all means, avoid the theatrical release with the infamously horrible voice-overs. This is one of my favorite movies — a sci-fi noir with amazing production and mood. It's not the fastest of films, so make sure you're prepared to make the 2 hour commitment with your eyes open. And ignore the hype; it's just something you gotta see for yourself.

Finally watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The dubbing was distracting at first, but then I really got into it and those three hours just flew by. The dynamic between the three characters worked so well with such little dialogue. Obviously, the cinematography was breathtaking, and after watching the making-of featurettes, I'm amazed Leone (and the English dubbers/2002 restoration team) pulled things off so well. I kind of want to see the other two movies, so Fistful of Dollars is taking its place on...

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. The Godfather
1. The Godfather, Part II
This seems like the logical choice. I'm curious to see if what many people call "the better film" is, in fact, better. I'm not in any rush to see it though.

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Goodfellas
3. Breathless
I thought I was more of Godard-person than a Truffaut-person until I saw The 400 Blows. Everyone gushes over this one, so I guess Jean-Luc has another chance to win me over. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fickle with French New Wave films because none of them have really blown me away. Could this be different?

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. 12 Angry Men
I think I saw this when I was 4. Nevertheless, I've yet to see it since I've developed basic analytical skills. I know the premise but I'm clueless about specific scenes or characters. It's been floating around my Netflix queue and my various "check this out" lists, but it's never piqued my curiosity. Someone convince me that this old movie is great!

6. Casablanca
I've read essays that break this film apart scene by scene, and I've seen countless parodies. Why should I even bother seeing it now? I don't feel like I would gain anything from watching this, other than the smug satisfaction that I saw yet another "important movie."

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

8. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
8. A Fistful of Dollars
After a great experience with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, I'm curious to see some more of Leone's work. I know this features Eastwood's "Man With No Name" character (which I found out was just a marketing ploy) and that it's a remake of Yojimbo (a great Kurosawa film, but not my favorite). My interest is piqued!

9. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
I don't know why I never heard about this in film school. Come to think of it, Herzog has always been an enigma to me. I've only seen Fitzcarraldo and I've wanted to see his other films. I guess I just assume this one will be a boring but beautiful European "thinking" film and I haven't been in that mindset in a while.

10. The Incredibles
Friends always recommend this to me. I've seen bits and pieces from when I worked at a movie theater. I'm in my early twenties and I get the feeling that this film is best enjoyed by people either slightly younger or slightly older. Then again, it's also Pixar, so what am I waiting for?

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Glad you went with that pick. I've been wanting to see it for a while, and plus I might not even have to wait for Netflix if my friend has a copy!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

penismightier posted:

La Dolce Vita was very good but like a loving hour too long. I didn't like it as much as 8 1/2 but that may just be movie nostalgia talking. That opening shot of Christ on the helicopter should've been in Bunuel.

That doesn't sound too hot. Bummer, I was hoping it would be the film that really turned me onto Fellini.

Also I think we just had a total recommender love-in. You recommended my recommender a film after seeing a film that I recommended to you. :gay:

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

penismightier posted:

Dolce Vita's definitely worth watching, you might get more out of than I did. I feel like I'll like it more the second time, too.

I think I probably just need to be in the right mood and then go on a Fellini mini-marathon. That's the only way that guy's gonna make an impression on me. Even 8 1/2 wasn't a movie I absolutely adored, something about it holds me back from making such declarations...

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You know, it's possible you may not like Fellini. I loved 8 1/2 but every other Fellini film I've seen has been at most above average and at worst trash. Like penismightier said he constantly recycles his obsessions and frankly they're very shallow obsessions.

Me, not like a critically-acclaimed director? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

There's some not-so-great (IMHO) stuff on his list, but it's all worth checking out.

Shrek finally came in at the library, so I'll be watching it sometime this week. Then I'm redoing my list, I don't think "most voted on movies at iMDB" is going to work out for me. Maybe I'll go with my highest PSI's at Criticker.

No changing your list. :colbert:

Okay, fine, but only because it's so god awful. :smugbert:

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

dotCommunism, watch Fitzcarraldo. It was my first Herzog (and hopefully not the last; someone please pick Aguirre! :ohdear:) and it really left a lasting impression on me. It's in the same vein as Citizen Kane or There Will Be Blood; one dude topples all adversity, for better or for worse. A great character study with some beautiful cinematography. Enjoy!

Finally watched The Incredibles, conveniently right after seeing Toy Story 3. I still think that Ratatouille is Pixar's finest (although I still have to see Up and Cars), but this film is an excellent contender. It's got all the great hallmarks of the company and of super hero adventures, which unfortunately also made it a little predictable (but I guess the drama comes from the characters' relationships rather than the action, which was a great move by Bird). I was a little underwhelmed by the ultimate climax, but if you see it as the reunion and strengthening of the family, it works. Also, what's the deal with goons calling this Ayn Rand propaganda? I guess I can see some of the arguments, but it's no more of an offender than any other classic super hero series.

Also finally watched Casablanca, with my Dad no less! I suppose I'm glad to check it off the list, but I wasn't blown away. I was impressed by the film's precise construction more than I was by the story. Everyone played their parts to perfection... I just wish I could have gotten more out of it. Maybe in a few years.

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. The Godfather, Part II
This seems like the logical choice. I'm curious to see if what many people call "the better film" is, in fact, better. I'm not in any rush to see it though.

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Breathless
I thought I was more of Godard-person than a Truffaut-person until I saw The 400 Blows. Everyone gushes over this one, so I guess Jean-Luc has another chance to win me over. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fickle with French New Wave films because none of them have really blown me away. Could this be different?

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. 12 Angry Men
I think I saw this when I was 4. Nevertheless, I've yet to see it since I've developed basic analytical skills. I know the premise but I'm clueless about specific scenes or characters. It's been floating around my Netflix queue and my various "check this out" lists, but it's never piqued my curiosity. Someone convince me that this old movie is great!

6. Any film by Satyajit Ray
I know absolutely nothing about Indian cinema, and since FFD raves about Ray, I think I should check him out. I'm not sure where to start with this guy; it'd be great if my picker recommended one that's available on Netflix. Otherwise I probably won't be able to see the film in question.

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

8. A Fistful of Dollars
After a great experience with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, I'm curious to see some more of Leone's work. I know this features Eastwood's "Man With No Name" character (which I found out was just a marketing ploy) and that it's a remake of Yojimbo (a great Kurosawa film, but not my favorite). My interest is piqued!

9. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
I don't know why I never heard about this in film school. Come to think of it, Herzog has always been an enigma to me. I've only seen Fitzcarraldo and I've wanted to see his other films. I guess I just assume this one will be a boring but beautiful European "thinking" film and I haven't been in that mindset in a while.

10. Once Upon a Time in the West
People say it's better than the Dollars Trilogy, especially with regards to the soundtrack. Again, Leone has made a great impression on me, so I definitely should see his other great films. I don't know anything about the plot (or any famous scenes).

Finally Watched: Goodfellas, The Godfather, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Casablanca, The Incredibles

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The precise construction and perfect writing and delivery is what makes it so great. It's not the deepest of films but it's a film that has absolutely no weaknesses which is no small feat. It's the epitome of classic Hollywood, a mix of romance, smart dialogue and intrigue all played to perfection. I felt the same the first time I watched and when I rewatched it a few years later I kept looking for flaws and becoming more and more impressed by just how perfect it is.

That sums up my thoughts pretty succinctly. It's virtually flawless, and I can certainly appreciate it on that merit alone. However, I personally did not develop a strong attachment to it, so it came across as more of a cinematic treat than a full course meal (that takes forever to digest and comes with heartburn).

And yes, I demand hat eating.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Hey Danga, what would you suggest for a first-time Ray?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So happy to come back after two weeks to a still lively thread!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

CloseFriend, watch Raging Bull. I really liked King of Comedy and Taxi Driver is one of my all-time favorites, but Raging Bull left me wanting more. I'm curious to hear your take on it, given that you love DeNiro and Scorcese.

Finally watched The Godfather, Part II. Regrettably, I had to split it up into two because of the length, so I missed out on a unified experience. At first the grand scale of it turned me off, and I was certain I liked the first more. Near the end though, things started to click and I really felt for the characters. The final flashback was haunting, especially after recently seeing the first.

Also finally watched Aguirre, The Wrath of God. Loved the camerawork; some images were absolutely terrifying despite seeming mundane on the surface (like when Aguirre looks at the horse). It seemed like it could have been longer, but I guess Herzog didn't feel like stretching out his point — I can respect that. A German film if ever there was one.

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. Stalker
I've played the computer game. I hear it's amazing. I want to see it. Help me!

2. Schindler's List

3. Breathless

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. 12 Angry Men

I know absolutely nothing about Indian cinema, and since FFD raves about Ray, I think I should check him out. I'm not sure where to start with this guy; it'd be great if my picker recommended one that's available on Netflix. Otherwise I probably won't be able to see the film in question.

7. North by Northwest

8. A Fistful of Dollars

9. Persona
Although I enjoyed Wild Strawberries, I could never really get into Bergman. I hear this is one of his best, so maybe it'll turn me on to him. I know nothing about it.

People say it's better than the Dollars Trilogy, especially with regards to the soundtrack. Again, Leone has made a great impression on me, so I definitely should see his other great films. I don't know anything about the plot (or any famous scenes).

Finally Watched: Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good The Bad and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 16, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Clumsy, you have forsaken me!

I was stepped over!

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 16, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I'm sorry. That was remiss of me. You get to watch 12 Angry Men. You can thank me later.

Okay, queued up and good to go.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I will watch Berlin Alexanderplatz if someone picks it for PA.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Vertigo Ambrosia, watch Fitzcarraldo. I think I recommended this to someone else and they haven't reported back yet (forgive me if I missed you), so the burden's now on you! In all seriousness, this is an amazing film and everyone should see more Herzog and Kinski (including me).

Finally watched 12 Angry Men. I've seen a lot of great films because of this thread, but this one is by far the best. I can't remember the last time I saw a film so gripping and yet so flawlessly executed. They really don't make them like they used to; here, we have twelve men — not stereotypes, not straw men — real, breathing, imperfect human beings working through a problem. You're lucky if at least one character in a movie is believable — loving twelve. The way the film flipped our own prejudices and assumptions over its ninety-minute runtime is a testament to Lumet's staying power. I really need to see Network and Dog Day Afternoon again.

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. Stalker
I've played the computer game. I hear it's amazing. I want to see it. Help me!

2. Schindler's List

3. Breathless

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. The Rules of the Game
I revisited La Grande Illusion a few weeks ago and I was reminded that while I feel bad for not seeing more Bergman or Fellini, I absolutely must see more Renoir. This one is #3 on TSPDT. I know nothing about it and I want to keep things that way until I see it.

7. North by Northwest

8. A Fistful of Dollars

9. Persona
Although I enjoyed Wild Strawberries, I could never really get into Bergman. I hear this is one of his best, so maybe it'll turn me on to him. I know nothing about it.

Finally Watched: Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good The Bad and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men

SPECIAL CHALLENGE: If anyone picks Berlin Alexanderplatz for Peaceful Anarchy, I will watch it too.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Underflow posted:

Oh dear, I really messed up there, didn't I? Sorry for the static.

It's not too late to make amends. Make a list!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Zogo posted:

It looks like the time has come my friends. :laugh:

I for one am looking forward to this fifteen and a half hour non-stop thrill ride.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

dotCommunism, watch Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, to celebrate my, Peaceful Anarchy's, and your (eventual) plunge into Berlin Alexanderplatz. Also to expand your knowledge of the German New Wave, which is something I also need to do. Viel glόck!

Finally watched A Clockwork Orange. I can't imagine anyone other than Kubrick doing justice to the subject matter. This is a moving picture in the purest sense of the term; the visual adds so much nuance and clarification to the thematic. Is it any surprise Kubrick tackles something still incredibly relevant today? I cringed during some scenes, especially the one in which Alex's droogs, now cops, dunk him in the freezing water trough. Ugh, that scene lasted about a minute longer than I wanted it to. At least the scenes of rape cut out before the explicit sexual act. I gotta give McDowell credit for taking as much as he dished out.

My updated list:
Stalker — I want to get into Tarkovsky, and I'm familiar with the computer game (not expecting many similarities, though).

Schindler's List — It's a "great film" I've avoided because I don't want to feel manipulated by Spielberg.

Breathless — I don't know if I'm a Godard person or a Truffaut person. I don't think I'm either, but maybe seeing this will prove me wrong.

The Rules of the Game — While I feel bad for not seeing more Bergman or Fellini, I absolutely must see more Renoir. I don't know anything about this other than it's good.

Any film by Satyajit Ray — FFD raves about this guy and I'm curious about Indian cinema.

North by Northwest — I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

A Fistful of Dollars — After The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, I'd like to see more Leone. A Yojimbo remake with Eastwood in the west sounds like a good time.

Once Upon a Time in the West — More Leone. I hear this has Morricone at his peak, and since I loved the score in his other movies, I kind of want to see it for that reason alone.

Persona — I could never really get into Bergman; maybe this will change things.

Barry Lyndon — Another Kubrick movie I have yet to see. Haven't bothered before because of the length.

Finally watched:
Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men; A Clockwork Orange

As promised, I'll be watching Berlin Alexanderplatz over the coming weeks, but because of its length (and because it's not technically a movie on my list), I'm gonna keep taking recommendations. So someone please lift my shame!

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 26, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

^^^^^^ That makes sense.

Skutter, I have already seen a handful of "old" Westerns (e.g. Stagecoach) and Fistful of Dollars is definitely not an old Western. And even if it were considered "old," I've seen another western from the same time period.

So you can change your pick if that ruins your plan, otherwise I'll watch Fistful of Dollar anyway because it's supposed to be awesome.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 26, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

mikewozere, watch Seven Samurai. We've got to break your aversion to black and white films. I'd suggest Casablanca because it's shorter, but I don't think it's the right one for you. If you like the epics, this is the epic to see.

Finally watched A Fistful of Dollars. It was enjoyable, and a faithful adaptation, but it made me want to see Yojimbo again. It didn't really feel like a western, certainly not the kind I've come to expect of Leone; I definitely prefer it when he's tackling grand scale adventures.

Also finally watched Persona. It's undeniably a singular work of art, but I couldn't really get into it. It was too theoretical; I didn't feel anything for the characters. I think I have a problem. It's a real shame too, because if I'm not into Bergman by now, I might want to consider throwing in the towel.

My updated list:
Stalker — I want to get into Tarkovsky, and I'm familiar with the computer game (not expecting many similarities, though).

Schindler's List — It's a "great film" I've avoided because I don't want to feel manipulated by Spielberg.

Breathless — I don't know if I'm a Godard person or a Truffaut person. I don't think I'm either, but maybe seeing this will prove me wrong.

The Rules of the Game — While I feel bad for not seeing more Bergman or Fellini, I absolutely must see more Renoir. I don't know anything about this other than it's good.

Any film by Satyajit Ray — FFD raves about this guy and I'm curious about Indian cinema.

North by Northwest — I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

Predator — Someone in the Predators thread told me I needed to see the original in order to truly understand how bad the most recent one is. Is this the one where Arnold tells people to get to the chopper?

Once Upon a Time in the West — More Leone. I hear this has Morricone at his peak, and since I loved the score in his other movies, I kind of want to see it for that reason alone.

Tokyo Story — Good Morning was all right, but I don't think it went anywhere interesting. Ozu is shaping up to be another great director I'll never understand; hopefully this will change things.

Barry Lyndon — Another Kubrick movie I have yet to see. Haven't bothered before because of the length.

Finally watched:
Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men; A Clockwork Orange; A Fistful of Dynamite; Persona

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Which Bergman films have you seen? It's strange to me that you felt Persona to be theoretical, I found it to be pure emotion.

Very little, but I feel like I've seen the heavy-hitters: Seventh Seal (which I actually liked), and Wild Strawberries (which I enjoyed but couldn't really get into). I can definitely see the appeal and I don't feel like I'm missing something; I'm just not connecting with these drat Swedes.

I'll give Fanny & Alexander, Scenes from a Marriage, and Cries & Whispers a shot.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

How's Berlin Alexanderplatz coming?

I told my friend about watching it and he wants in too. The disc just arrived and we're going to attempt the first two tonight, but we'll probably just get through one.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'm not sure you'll like Cries and Whispers but the other two are musts.

Duly noted.

As for Persona being too "theoretical," I don't mean that it was mechanical. But all the experimental techniques and the self-reflexive nods really took me out of the characters' mutual dilemma. I still enjoyed the film on those terms, but I wish I could have felt more.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

ClydeUmney posted:

Try The Virgin Spring - it's not always considered one of the "biggies", but it's accessible and fascinating.

Thanks for this suggestion. I just watched it and it's shot Bergman up on my list. I think I like the pastoral Bergman best. What are some others I should seek out?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks PA for the suggestions.

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm not quite sure what you (thegloaming) mean by "pastoral Bergman"... do you just mean in a rural setting?

I'd add The Magician, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and Shame to PA's list.

Persona is a tough nut to crack, Bergman at his most experimental (The Rite is pretty out there too). I have a hard time with it, although I find it fascinating. You have to be willing to accept that there is no "correct" interpretation. I'm glad you didn't let it put you off Bergman entirely.

You might also try Hour of the Wolf and The Passion of Anna, both of which are "pastoral" in a sense, but they're also more on the experimental side.

Yeah, I meant the films in a rural setting.

I don't feel like I missed out on Persona. I understood what he was doing — probably not down to the finest detail, though — and I just wasn't feeling it. What's odd is that Mulholland Drive, a film that borrows heavily from Persona, is one of my favorites of all time (who would have thought???). It just does so much more for me.

I often think I unfairly rate foreign films because they're too subtle or obtuse; I do have difficulty with subtitles in that if I'm not completely focused I'll just completely miss what someone is saying (and for slow moving films, that happens more than I'd care to admit). I like it when I can understand people's voices, and when the humor is relatable — I can't help that. It hasn't stopped me from loving some amazing foreign films, but I think the barrier of entry is higher for me than most.

Speaking of which, I've started BA and I've been pretty engaged the whole time.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Berlin Alexanderpants is turning out to be quite good (take that, FFD). I'm taking a while since I'm watching it with a friend, but so far, an episode or two on nights when we can meet up has been working out pretty well.

I gotta hunker down for Stalker, though...

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Chauntecleer, watch Brazil. It's my favorite Gilliam and, in my opinion, critically, his best film (though I have yet to revisit Time Bandits). Make sure you avoid the 'Love Conquers All' edition.

Finally watched Stalker. Gorgeous. Those images are going to last. Loved the pacing, loved the theological slant, loved the allegorical feel of it all. I hope to re-watch it someday. Until then, I have the bonus features to tide me over...

My updated list:
Fanny and Alexander — Determined to watch more Bergman, I've come to this lofty masterpiece. There are probably other Bergman films I'd enjoy more, but I kind of want to see this one the most.

Predator — Someone in the Predators thread told me I needed to see the original in order to truly understand how bad the most recent one is. Is this the one where Arnold tells people to get to the chopper?

Tokyo Story — Good Morning was all right, but I don't think it went anywhere interesting. Ozu is shaping up to be another great director I'll never understand; hopefully this will change things.

Finally watched:
Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men; A Clockwork Orange; A Fistful of Dynamite; Persona; Stalker

Still watching Berlin Alexanderplatz with my friend (we're on episode 8 I think?). It's taken a while because we've both been very busy with obligations. I had to reduce my Netflix down to one...

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. George Kaplan, watch Amadeus. I can't speak for the play, but the film is awesome.

Finally (and I mean finally) watched The Rules of the Game. It's no Grand Illusion, but I can appreciate its biting critique of an abominable society perfumed in etiquette and "class." The characters were pretty much universally despicable. Wonderfully constructed.

My updated list:
Fanny and Alexander — Determined to watch more Bergman, I've come to this lofty masterpiece. There are probably other Bergman films I'd enjoy more, but I kind of want to see this one the most.

The Passion of Joan of Arc — Gotta get some silent lovin' on my list. I think I skipped this film when I was in college.

Finally watched:
Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men; A Clockwork Orange; A Fistful of Dynamite; Persona; Stalker; The Rules of the Game

Still watching Berlin Alexanderplatz. My friend is out of town so the conclusion will have to wait another week or so...

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 14, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

What's the right version to watch again?

I can't remember what episode I'm on. More than halfway through... it takes very long when you have to coordinate viewings with someone else.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The long one, the miniseries.

I don't think I could coordinate with someone to watch a miniseries like that. It'd drive me crazy.

I'd never finish it if I didn't have someone else to be accountable for.

We assumed we'd have more time and be able to finish a long time ago....

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 14, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Just watched episode one of Fanny and Alexander. It's pretty different than most of the Bergman I've seen, but his fingerprints are pretty obvious. I'm interested to see how it progresses, though I can't say I'm really attracted to any of the characters.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Halfway through F & A and I think it's official: I like Bergman.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Finally watched Fanny and Alexander. It started off with some promise, I thought, but ended stale and unsatisfying. It's pretty obvious Bergman is communicating "big ideas" here, but I wasn't interested enough to grasp onto anything in particular.

Taking an extended break from the thread, so the next person should pick for Mistletoe Donkey. I'm glad that the thread took off and remains strong. Keep up the work, everyone.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

It was far from a bad movie, or even a mediocre one, mind you. Wonderful cinematography, and the editing in the final act was very effective (I just wasn't personally attached). It had a strong start, as I said. But I wasn't too enthralled by the end, and that sort of neutralized the whole experience.

Maybe I'll revisit it when I have time to watch it all in one sitting...

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 6, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

On second thought. I've decided to continue!

Mistletoe Donkey, watch Stagecoach, and maybe I'll do the same!

My updated list:
Stagecoach — I've had a hankering for westerns lately, new and old. This is a classic, and if I saw it in class, I've completely forgotten it by now.

The Passion of Joan of Arc — Gotta get some silent lovin' on my list. I think I skipped this film when I was in college.

Finally watched:
Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men; A Clockwork Orange; A Fistful of Dynamite; Persona; Stalker; The Rules of the Game; Fanny and Alexander

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So, over a year later, I guess I should give my impressions on North by Northwest (which I actually watched around the time it was assigned to me). I'm glad that the infamous corn-maze scene was just one of many unexpected thrills, otherwise I would have to attribute another ruined cinematic moment to pop culture (I think my first exposure to the scene was the Simpsons episode were Marge is afraid of flying...). I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the ending. I know Hitchcock was making some sly comment about convenient Hollywood narratives, but it totally took me out of the super suspenseful literal cliffhanger. When it comes to Hitchcock, the danger is usually just a manifestation of a much more sinister psychological dilemma, and this film and its preoccupation with mistaken identities and sexual deception was no exception. I thought those themes were well developed, but man... that ending was such a departure.

I also watched all but the last episode (and epilogue) of Berlin Alexanderplatz with my friend but then we both stopped watching (and I stopped watching movies all together due to bizarre happenings). I remember being interested by the deplorable yet compelling characters, but it was definitely a test of patience and the pay off rape in the forest definitely did not make the whole ordeal seem worthwhile. I feel obligated to rewatch it sometime, the whole thing, alone, with less space in between episodes. Again, some bizarre happenings were going on while I was watching so it was hard for me to focus and be patient.

Anyway, I kind of want to get back into the thread, seeing how I started it over a year ago and it's still going strong! I think I might want to develop a new list though, just for a sense of rejuvenation. Any objections?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Synecdoche, New York Directorial debut of Charlie Kaufman, should be interesting and strange.

I don't want to watch this movie ever again, and you will too when it's finished!

(Don't worry, though, I think it's good, just in the "oh, so that's why life is horrible" kind of way.)

---

All right, after almost two years, I'm getting back in the (shame) game.

List of Shame

Singin' in the Rain Having spent my youth in the theatrical arts and hating it, the idea of watching a musical is particularly nauseauting for me. But I realized that there's so much from this movie that I like, and now it's time to fasten up and give it, and the whole genre, a shot.

Ben-Hur (1959) My problem with epics is that, while I love them as a concept, 3 hours or more is a lot of time to spend. I suppose I'm willing to bite the bullet with Ben-Hur, though, since I'm fascinated by religious history and myths (incidentally, I had no idea this movie was about Jesus until I looked it up very recently).

Triumph of the Will Studied this a fair amount in college, but only saw excerpts.

Full Metal Jacket Even though some of the most intense scenes have been ruined for me, I still want to experience this one from start to finish. Plus, it's one of the Kubrick films I've yet to see.

The Thin Blue Line Whenever I heard this film come up, I thought it was related to Thin Red Line. But no, it turns out it's a documentary, and a highly acclaimed one at that. I read a bit about the social implications of this film and would be interested to read more when I actually see it.

Some Like it Hot I need more Jack Lemmon in my life. I always stay away from romantic comedies, especially ones from the sixties and before, so I figure this one would be the best to get me out of that prejudice.

Akira Having gotten over my aversion to Japanese animation, it's high time I saw what many critics claim is the greatest (although I doubt I'll enjoy it more than anything Miyazaki).

Raiders of the Lost Ark I saw this when I was about 7, possibly earlier. I don't remember a thing—other than snakes, idols, bolders, and guys with swords getting shot—so it would be as if I'm watching it for the first time.

Sunset Boulevard Despite quoting this movie frequently, I have not seen it in its entirety. Oddly, the bits and pieces I've picked up from pop culture have not revealed the whole story to me, so I'm curious to see how those gaps are filled (having never resorted to a synopsis).

Ivan the Terrible, Parts One and Two I gave Part One a shot a few months back but couldn't get into it and stopped after thirty minutes or so. I want to give the film another shot, maybe with some preparation beforehand (anyone recommend any good essays?).

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

Dead Man: It's the only Jarmusch film I've tried watching. I didn't make it all the way through. It deserves another chance.

Behind Ghost Dog, this is probably my favorite of his (although I haven't seen everything by him). It helps to have sort of a familiarity with classic westerns so that you can appreciates the conventions that he subverts, but it stands as a classic hero's journey on its own. Hope you make it through!

---

penismightier posted:

thegloaming, Raiders of the Lost Ark is something for everyone.

Indeed it is. I was pretty shocked about how little I could remember (pretty much nothing other than the stuff that gets parodied on the Simpsons). This was everything I expect from Spielberg: a fun, well-paced, exceptionally produced "good guys vs. bad guys" flick with excellent sets and enough explosions to shake a fistful of dynamite at. Having passed into my twenties and read enough bell hooks to reject the masculinity that the film promotes, I can't say I aspire to be what Jones is, but I can appreciate the genuine callback to those action serials of yesteryear. This was something I should have enjoyed as a boy, but, alas...

---

List of Shame

*NEW* The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King I saw the first two in theaters and actually re-watched the first one years later, but I never got around to seeing what seems to be the best of the three. I'm debating if I should watch them all in a marathon or just read a synopsis of the first two to refresh my memory/fill in the gaps because I don't think I followed half of what was going on in the second one. If the latter, can you recommend a good synopsis? Wikipedia?

Singin' in the Rain Having spent my youth in the theatrical arts and hating it, the idea of watching a musical is particularly nauseauting for me. But I realized that there's so much from this movie that I like, and now it's time to fasten up and give it, and the whole genre, a shot.

Ben-Hur (1959) My problem with epics is that, while I love them as a concept, 3 hours or more is a lot of time to spend. I suppose I'm willing to bite the bullet with Ben-Hur, though, since I'm fascinated by religious history and myths (incidentally, I had no idea this movie was about Jesus until I looked it up very recently).

Triumph of the Will Studied this a fair amount in college, but only saw excerpts.

Full Metal Jacket Even though some of the most intense scenes have been ruined for me, I still want to experience this one from start to finish. Plus, it's one of the Kubrick films I've yet to see.

The Thin Blue Line Whenever I heard this film come up, I thought it was related to Thin Red Line. But no, it turns out it's a documentary, and a highly acclaimed one at that. I read a bit about the social implications of this film and would be interested to read more when I actually see it.

Some Like it Hot I need more Jack Lemmon in my life. I always stay away from romantic comedies, especially ones from the sixties and before, so I figure this one would be the best to get me out of that prejudice.

Akira Having gotten over my aversion to Japanese animation, it's high time I saw what many critics claim is the greatest (although I doubt I'll enjoy it more than anything Miyazaki).

Sunset Boulevard Despite quoting this movie frequently, I have not seen it in its entirety. Oddly, the bits and pieces I've picked up from pop culture have not revealed the whole story to me, so I'm curious to see how those gaps are filled (having never resorted to a synopsis).

Ivan the Terrible, Parts One and Two I gave Part One a shot a few months back but couldn't get into it and stopped after thirty minutes or so. I want to give the film another shot, maybe with some preparation beforehand (anyone recommend any good essays?).

Shame No More (1): Raiders of the Lost Ark (3.5/5)

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Hope [Sunset Boulevard] lives up to your expectations.

It most certainly did. Really, this was the sort of classic cinema I've been craving for years. Engaging characters with well-developed flaws (other than Betty and Artie, who pretty much served as the "all-american couple" foil) that drove the action instead of the reverse. Not a single scene bored me or seemed extraneous. And Gloria Swanson will haunt my dreams for nights to come. Those teeth, like some sexy old shark!

---

Bodnoirbabe posted:

8. Cape Fear. What I know about this movie I learned from The Simpsons.

It's always a good idea to separate the genuine article from its Simpsons parody (this applies to most of the films I've seen through this thread).

---

List of Shame

*NEW* The Bridge Over River Kwai I remember there were these YouTube videos called "Unforgivable" with an angry man in the forest talking about the movies he was going to watch and this was one of them. Then my friends would tell me, "Oh man, it's so great!" I have absolutely no idea what this is about. Perhaps a bridge? Over a river? A river by the name of Kwai?

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King I saw the first two in theaters and actually re-watched the first one years later, but I never got around to seeing what seems to be the best of the three. I'm debating if I should watch them all in a marathon or just read a synopsis of the first two to refresh my memory/fill in the gaps because I don't think I followed half of what was going on in the second one. If the latter, can you recommend a good synopsis? Wikipedia?

Shame No More (2): Raiders of the Lost Ark (3.5/5), Sunset Boulevard (4.5/5)

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Thegloaming, watch Singing in the Rain
Phenomenal. I was entranced the entire time, which is truly a feat for a curmudgeon like me. The "Gotta Dance" sequence was mesmerizing. I love how it was able to poke fun at itself and the medium as a whole, but never tarnished the timeless glory of cinema, be it silent, talkie, musical, or drama. I'm afraid to watch other musicals now; they can't be this good!

---

Jurgan posted:

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

One word: destiny. That's all you need to know. Looking forward to your thoughts...

---

List of Shame

City Lights After watching Singin' in the Rain, I remembered how fun a well-made silent film can be. This one is supposed to be one of the greatest, although I strangely never saw it in film school.

The Bridge Over River Kwai I remember there were these YouTube videos called "Unforgivable" with an angry man in the forest talking about the movies he was going to watch and this was one of them. Then my friends would tell me, "Oh man, it's so great!" I have absolutely no idea what this is about. Perhaps a bridge? Over a river? A river by the name of Kwai?

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King I saw the first two in theaters and actually re-watched the first one years later, but I never got around to seeing what seems to be the best of the three. I'm debating if I should watch them all in a marathon or just read a synopsis of the first two to refresh my memory/fill in the gaps because I don't think I followed half of what was going on in the second one. If the latter, can you recommend a good synopsis? Wikipedia?

Shame No More (3): Raiders of the Lost Ark (3.5/5), Sunset Boulevard (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5)

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Running wild!

Some Like It Hot had its moments, but I wasn't convinced by the characters' motivations, especially to do (or attempt to do) some of the more wild things, like have a drunken slumber party with Sugar and reveal to her that you're really a man under the assumption that she would be turned on and then not blab to anyone else, thus blowing the cover that they created for themselves in the first place. It would make sense if I got the idea that they were REALLY crazy over her when they first met, but I didn't. They seemed like level-headed, if not a tad goofy, men -- not the kind capable of staging elaborate multi-fake-person deception games.

I guess I just couldn't suspend my disbelief, even for a screwball comedy like this. Maybe I'm the screwball.

---

Electronico6 posted:

Europa Been meaning to watch more films from that crazy Dane Lars von Trier.

I just watched Melancholia and was really blown away. Let me know if his other stuff is decent!

---

List of Shame

*NEW* Usual Suspects There's some sort of red herring that I'm not supposed to know about... and I don't know about it! Really, I know next to nothing about this movie, other than there's a police lineup. Maybe? Or was that just the poster art...

City Lights After watching Singin' in the Rain, I remembered how fun a well-made silent film can be. This one is supposed to be one of the greatest, although I strangely never saw it in film school.

The Bridge Over River Kwai I remember there were these YouTube videos called "Unforgivable" with an angry man in the forest talking about the movies he was going to watch and this was one of them. Then my friends would tell me, "Oh man, it's so great!" I have absolutely no idea what this is about. Perhaps a bridge? Over a river? A river by the name of Kwai?

Shame No More (4): Raiders of the Lost Ark (3.5/5), Sunset Boulevard (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Some Like It Hot (3/5)

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 19, 2012