Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Dabbo posted:

Akira is a pretty good anime movie check it out

Yeah, uh... wow. Akira was something else. Transcendent, really. The plot synopsis really doesn't do it justice. I don't know what else to say other than I'm very glad to have seen it now.

---

Electronico6 posted:

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock I keep meaning to watch these silly films, I really do.

Well, put on your silly hat and drink some silly juice with your silly straw! You're about to get beamed up to the U.S. Sillyprise.

---

List of Shame

*NEW* The Wild Bunch I've been meaning to see more westerns, and this seems to rank highly on most people's lists. I've yet to see any of Peckinpah's films all the way through (not that I don't want to to). Could this be the one?

Usual Suspects There's some sort of red herring that I'm not supposed to know about... and I don't know about it! Really, I know next to nothing about this movie, other than there's a police lineup. Maybe? Or was that just the poster art...

City Lights After watching Singin' in the Rain, I remembered how fun a well-made silent film can be. This one is supposed to be one of the greatest, although I strangely never saw it in film school.

The Bridge Over River Kwai I remember there were these YouTube videos called "Unforgivable" with an angry man in the forest talking about the movies he was going to watch and this was one of them. Then my friends would tell me, "Oh man, it's so great!" I have absolutely no idea what this is about. Perhaps a bridge? Over a river? A river by the name of Kwai?

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King I saw the first two in theaters and actually re-watched the first one years later, but I never got around to seeing what seems to be the best of the three. I'm debating if I should watch them all in a marathon or just read a synopsis of the first two to refresh my memory/fill in the gaps because I don't think I followed half of what was going on in the second one. If the latter, can you recommend a good synopsis? Wikipedia?

Ben-Hur (1959) My problem with epics is that, while I love them as a concept, 3 hours or more is a lot of time to spend. I suppose I'm willing to bite the bullet with Ben-Hur, though, since I'm fascinated by religious history and myths (incidentally, I had no idea this movie was about Jesus until I looked it up very recently).

Triumph of the Will Studied this a fair amount in college, but only saw excerpts.

Full Metal Jacket Even though some of the most intense scenes have been ruined for me, I still want to experience this one from start to finish. Plus, it's one of the Kubrick films I've yet to see.

The Thin Blue Line Whenever I heard this film come up, I thought it was related to Thin Red Line. But no, it turns out it's a documentary, and a highly acclaimed one at that. I read a bit about the social implications of this film and would be interested to read more when I actually see it.

Ivan the Terrible, Parts One and Two I gave Part One a shot a few months back but couldn't get into it and stopped after thirty minutes or so. I want to give the film another shot, maybe with some preparation beforehand (anyone recommend any good essays?).

Shame No More (5): Raiders of the Lost Ark, Sunset Boulevard, Singin' in the Rain, Some Like It Hot, Akira

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think the message got a little muddled, or whatever the message was didn't come through very clearly

The medium is the message.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

You don't know anything about Brian Oblivion! :)

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

7. Forget Paris. I don't know anything about this and I'm not sure why it's on my list, but here we are.

The mystery unravels!

---

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The Bridge on the River Kwai is one of my all time favorite movies. Enjoy!

And now it's one of mine. Good show, old chap! Jolly good show! I don't believe I've seen a war movie with so much nuance and humanity (no gratuitous violence, sympathetic characters on all sides, hazy morality and ethics--just like a real war fought in the jungle!).

I also managed to watch Return of the King: Extended Edition, after watching the other two back-to-back, so my impressions reflect the trilogy as a whole. It was all very satisfying but there were some small problems that I don't think appeared in the first two; still, I was able to look past these (and perhaps they were only a part of the Extended Edition) and appreciate the stunning conclusion to a 12+ hour journey. Now I'm vaguely excited to see The Hobbit, whereas before I had no interest.

---

List of Shame

*NEW* Titanic I remember when this came out and I still gave a drat about the Oscars, I kept rolling my eyes whenever it won. Ugh, a sappy, girly (I was in grade school) love story on a boat with Celine Dion's music? I guess, 15 years later, I could give it a chance.

*NEW* Tokyo Story I tried watching Late Spring and it literally put me to sleep, but I'm determined to give Ozu the benefit of the doubt. If this is the best he has, I hope it does something for me.

The Wild Bunch I've been meaning to see more westerns, and this seems to rank highly on most people's lists. I've yet to see any of Peckinpah's films all the way through (not that I don't want to to). Could this be the one?

Usual Suspects There's some sort of red herring that I'm not supposed to know about... and I don't know about it! Really, I know next to nothing about this movie, other than there's a police lineup. Maybe? Or was that just the poster art...

City Lights After watching Singin' in the Rain, I remembered how fun a well-made silent film can be. This one is supposed to be one of the greatest, although I strangely never saw it in film school.

Ben-Hur (1959) My problem with epics is that, while I love them as a concept, 3 hours or more is a lot of time to spend. I suppose I'm willing to bite the bullet with Ben-Hur, though, since I'm fascinated by religious history and myths (incidentally, I had no idea this movie was about Jesus until I looked it up very recently).

Triumph of the Will Studied this a fair amount in college, but only saw excerpts.

Full Metal Jacket Even though some of the most intense scenes have been ruined for me, I still want to experience this one from start to finish. Plus, it's one of the Kubrick films I've yet to see.

The Thin Blue Line Whenever I heard this film come up, I thought it was related to Thin Red Line. But no, it turns out it's a documentary, and a highly acclaimed one at that. I read a bit about the social implications of this film and would be interested to read more when I actually see it.

Ivan the Terrible, Parts One and Two I gave Part One a shot a few months back but couldn't get into it and stopped after thirty minutes or so. I want to give the film another shot, maybe with some preparation beforehand (anyone recommend any good essays?).

Shame No More (7): Raiders of the Lost Ark, Sunset Boulevard, Singin' in the Rain, Some Like It Hot, Akira, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Return of the King

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

That's what I'm saying. I mean, I have a list written down of movies that I add to my list of ten here when I finish watching one. For some reason Forget Paris was on there. I don't know why, I had no idea what the movie was about and now that I've seen it, I'm even more confused as to why it was there and why the last person picked it for me.

It was probably on some stupid Top 10 Romances list or something.

Oh dear. Sorry to have picked it for you. I honestly picked it based on your description alone... was hoping that the mystery would unravel in a more interesting way...

Yeah, no one should sit through poo poo on a count of this thread. I'll make sure to at least research the movie myself before making that choice.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

caiman posted:

Andrey Rublyov - This has been on my radar for years but I've never gotten around to it.

Hope you don't hate me for the length! The movie is visually stunning but does have a quiet pace, so make sure you're in the mood for a long character-based epic before you watch.

Here's the HD version on YouTube

---

TychoCelchuuu posted:

City Lights is not my favorite movie but it's funny and it has one of my favorite scenes of all time in any movie ever, so check that out.

This was a lot of fun. Sometimes I felt the gags dragged out too long, but that's just my modern film sensibilities. I forgot how novel it is to watch a well-made silent film; it really is a different experience (seeing how the film I saw before it was Prometheus). Can't say I'm racing to see the rest of Chaplin's work, but I'm glad to have seen his finest!

---

List of Shame

*NEW* Deconstructing Harry Based on critical acclaim, this is probably the greatest Woody Allen movie I have never seen, and I've seen almost all of them.

Titanic I remember when this came out and I still gave a drat about the Oscars, I kept rolling my eyes whenever it won. Ugh, a sappy, girly (I was in grade school) love story on a boat with Celine Dion's music? I guess, 15 years later, I could give it a chance.

Tokyo Story I tried watching Late Spring and it literally put me to sleep, but I'm determined to give Ozu the benefit of the doubt. If this is the best he has, I hope it does something for me.

The Wild Bunch I've been meaning to see more westerns, and this seems to rank highly on most people's lists. I've yet to see any of Peckinpah's films all the way through (not that I don't want to to). Could this be the one?

Shame No More (8): Raiders of the Lost Ark, Sunset Boulevard, Singin' in the Rain, Some Like It Hot, Akira, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Return of the King, City Lights

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

10) A History of Violence (2005) - I heard this one has sex and a guy getting hit with a coffee pot.

This is one of my favorite Cronenberg films. There is sex and coffee pots, but there's a lot more, and hope you enjoy it.

---

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Check out Full Metal Jacket. Having just watched it, I can say with confidence that having the entire movie spoiled for you in the form of a complete list of everything that happens still wouldn't dampen your enjoyment, let alone having some familiarity with most of the intense scenes, whatever those are.

Okay, wow, so this wasn't the movie I thought it was. See, I thought the movie ended at act one when Pile shoots the drill instructor and then himself, but there was a whole other movie afterward! I was sufficiently locked in my seat. The sniper was one of the most tense moments I've seen on film. Superb direction and pretty uncompromising brutality. I can't say any of the characters really resonated with me, but I think that was the point.

---

List of Shame

*NEW* The Straight Story The only David Lynch I have yet to see. It's not that I don't think he can make a movie about a guy traveling on a lawn mower interesting, it's just, well...

Deconstructing Harry Based on critical acclaim, this is probably the greatest Woody Allen movie I have never seen, and I've seen almost all of them.

Titanic I remember when this came out and I still gave a drat about the Oscars, I kept rolling my eyes whenever it won. Ugh, a sappy, girly (I was in grade school) love story on a boat with Celine Dion's music? I guess, 15 years later, I could give it a chance.

Tokyo Story I tried watching Late Spring and it literally put me to sleep, but I'm determined to give Ozu the benefit of the doubt. If this is the best he has, I hope it does something for me.

Shame No More (9): Raiders of the Lost Ark, Sunset Boulevard, Singin' in the Rain, Some Like It Hot, Akira, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Return of the King, City Lights, Full Metal Jacket

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Little Dieter Needs to Fly/Rescue Dawn Herzog double bill.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to assign someone two Herzogs for the price of one!

---

CloseFriend posted:

thegloaming, you get The Usual Suspects simply because if you don't watch it, it's only a matter of time before someone spoils it for you anyway.

I wouldn't have cared :what:. I thought it was pretty underwhelming; I saw the big reveal coming a mile away I know, from seeing Se7en, that in the third act, Kevin Spacey always pulls off some poo poo I didn't find anything compelling; all the "twists" were boring and artificial.

I am glad that I finally know where Ghostface got the sample from "Assassination Day" on Ironman, though.

---

List of Shame

*NEW* Saving Private Ryan I've only seen bits and pieces on TV. And I guess I played Medal of Honor: Allied Assault when it came out?

The Straight Story The only David Lynch I have yet to see. It's not that I don't think he can make a movie about a guy traveling on a lawn mower interesting, it's just, well...

Deconstructing Harry Based on critical acclaim, this is probably the greatest Woody Allen movie I have never seen, and I've seen almost all of them.

Shame No More (10): Raiders of the Lost Ark, Sunset Boulevard, Singin' in the Rain, Some Like It Hot, Akira, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Return of the King, City Lights, Full Metal Jacket, The Usual Suspects

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 24, 2012

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Chili posted:

9. Hidden Fortress - Been too long since I've had a Kurosawa on the list. Heard this one was more "fun" than serious, totally fine with that.

Enjoy it and see where you can spot the parts that Lucas "borrowed" for the first part of his famous space-based trilogy (the good one).

---

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I haven't seen any of your movies except Saving Private Ryan so watch that I guess. I think it's a much worse movie than most people think it is in terms of what people think about it, but I also think it's a much better movie than the worse movie that I think it is compared to what most people think about it. If that makes sense. To put it another way, I think it's a very good movie, even though what I take to be the most obvious informed take on it is that it's not such a great movie. And no matter what you think about it, the D-Day part is peerless.

I did end up seeing this shortly after you recommended it. I just took my sweet time with my review:

For all that this film has been both raised and denigrated, Saving Private Ryan is a decent war movie that happened to come out when the available technology and the cultural climate were "just right." It walks the line between glorification and criticism, although we don't get to spend nearly enough time with our heroes (the ones that make it, at least). The infamous Normandy scene stands up today (well, about 1.5 years ago when I saw the film, at least) as a particularly effective use of special effects and sound design; it's a shame that, not even at the final confrontation, such levels of competency and excitement are never reached again.

I'm putting out a new list, as it's been a year since my last one, and my tastes and desires have changed. Here are some films from the last decade that I haven't seen

---

List of Shame

Gladiator (2000) - I had absolutely no interest in seeing this when it came out (I was a 12 year old boy, what was wrong with me?). Now, I can see the appeal. Crowe can be divisive at times, but this role seems a perfect channel for his heroic rage.

Y tu mamá también (2001) - Other than hearing "y tu mama tambien" slowly replace "your mom" as a sarcastic response among junior high students, I have no idea what this movie is about (I'm assuming it's not just about a mother). Coming of age? Road trip? I've enjoyed the few Cuarón films I've seen, so why not take a chance?

City of God (2002) - The title alone piqued my interest, and the setting is even more intriguing. Other than that, I know nothing of this supposedly modern masterpiece.

Dogville (2003) - Having seen enough von Trier to "get him," I think I'm ready for this slow, gradually troubling (supposedly) entry.

Hellboy (2004) - Let's put something fun on the list, already! Everything about this movie—Guillermo del Toro, Ron Perlman, the source material—seems up my alley. I might have to check out the sequel as well.

The New World: The Extended Cut (2005) - A friend of mine asked me to see this about 5 years ago. Maybe some lightly applied goon pressure can fix this? Regarding the film itself: the premise is obvious and I'm cautiously excited about another one of Malick's films.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Another of del Toro's that's slipped through the cracks, although I've had plenty of opportunities to see this one (I seem to recall even renting it once). I hear tell of creepy critters and wartime melancholy!

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) - Technically, I did see this, but here's the thing: I barely remember any of it, and it's supposedly really good. I'm pretty sure I was distracted and tired, and I possibly fell asleep during parts. Anyway, let's try approaching this again, with open eyes...

The Hurt Locker (2008) - Highly recommended; just another one I've never gotten around to. I like Bigelow; I even wrote a paper about her in college. I'm curious to see how her style has changed.

District 9 (2009) - This is the sort of thing I would just eat up just a year before it was released. However, once I found out about it, I was weary of all the hype. Now that everyone is bashing Blomkamp's latest effort (which I also haven't seen) and comparing it to this, my interest is seriously piqued for the first time.

Shame No More (28): Goodfellas / Lawrence of Arabia / The Godfather / The Godfather, Part II / The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly / The Incredibles / Casablanca / Aguirre, The Wrath of God / 12 Angry Men / A Clockwork Orange / A Fistfull of Dollars / Persona / Stalker / Rules of the Game / Fanny and Alexander / North by Northwest / Berlin Alexanderplatz (incomplete) / Raiders of the Lost Ark / Sunset Boulevard / Singin' in the Rain / Some Like It Hot / Akira / The Bridge on the River Kwai / Return of the King / City Lights / Full Metal Jacket / The Usual Suspects / Saving Private Ryan

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 9, 2013

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

thegloaming, you've got some good movies on your list so let's start with City of God

City of God was quite the ride. Going in, I expected violence, but not in such magnitude and with such lack of restraint. Oddly, despite the larger-than-life portrayals of these killers and their exploits, the scenes that needed to be grave were grave without ostentation. I was also impressed by the entire ensemble cast; characters that could have been one-dimensional ended up stealing the show in places. I wonder how much of this "docufiction" is merely fiction?

---

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

1) Sanjuro- working on that Kurosawa

Keep working!

---

List of Shame

Gladiator (2000) - I had absolutely no interest in seeing this when it came out (I was a 12 year old boy, what was wrong with me?). Now, I can see the appeal. Crowe can be divisive at times, but this role seems a perfect channel for his heroic rage.

Y tu mamá también (2001) - Other than hearing "y tu mama tambien" slowly replace "your mom" as a sarcastic response among junior high students, I have no idea what this movie is about (I'm assuming it's not just about a mother). Coming of age? Road trip? I've enjoyed the few Cuarón films I've seen, so why not take a chance?

**NEW** The Cat Returns (2002) - I loved Whisper of the Heart so much to have seen it twice, and I haven't been burned by Ghibli yet.

Dogville (2003) - Having seen enough von Trier to "get him," I think I'm ready for this slow, gradually troubling (supposedly) entry.

Hellboy (2004) - Let's put something fun on the list, already! Everything about this movie—Guillermo del Toro, Ron Perlman, the source material—seems up my alley. I might have to check out the sequel as well.

The New World: The Extended Cut (2005) - A friend of mine asked me to see this about 5 years ago. Maybe some lightly applied goon pressure can fix this? Regarding the film itself: the premise is obvious and I'm cautiously excited about another one of Malick's films.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Another of del Toro's that's slipped through the cracks, although I've had plenty of opportunities to see this one (I seem to recall even renting it once). I hear tell of creepy critters and wartime melancholy!

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) - Technically, I did see this, but here's the thing: I barely remember any of it, and it's supposedly really good. I'm pretty sure I was distracted and tired, and I possibly fell asleep during parts. Anyway, let's try approaching this again, with open eyes...

The Hurt Locker (2008) - Highly recommended; just another one I've never gotten around to. I like Bigelow; I even wrote a paper about her in college. I'm curious to see how her style has changed.

District 9 (2009) - This is the sort of thing I would just eat up just a year before it was released. However, once I found out about it, I was weary of all the hype. Now that everyone is bashing Blomkamp's latest effort (which I also haven't seen) and comparing it to this, my interest is seriously piqued for the first time.

Shame No More (29): Goodfellas / Lawrence of Arabia / The Godfather / The Godfather, Part II / The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly / The Incredibles / Casablanca / Aguirre, The Wrath of God / 12 Angry Men / A Clockwork Orange / A Fistfull of Dollars / Persona / Stalker / Rules of the Game / Fanny and Alexander / North by Northwest / Berlin Alexanderplatz (incomplete) / Raiders of the Lost Ark / Sunset Boulevard / Singin' in the Rain / Some Like It Hot / Akira / The Bridge on the River Kwai / Return of the King / City Lights / Full Metal Jacket / The Usual Suspects / Saving Private Ryan / City of God

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

10) The Great Dictator- more Chaplin

Enjoy this thinly-veiled classic!

---

von Braun posted:

thegloaming: You will watch Gladiator next.

Gladiator was more than I expected. As a revenge story, I thought it worked quite well. As a space opera in Rome (there has to be a better term for that), it felt a little forced. I guess all the political scenes gave us reason to hate the villain more, so I can dig that. The action was superb, as was the set design and costumes.

---

List of Shame

**NEW** High Fidelity (2000) - I'm generally down for Cusack, and this one usually appears on the top of all of the cool people's lists. What have I been missing?

The Cat Returns (2002) - I loved Whisper of the Heart so much to have seen it twice, and I haven't been burned by Ghibli yet.

Shame No More (30): Goodfellas / Lawrence of Arabia / The Godfather / The Godfather, Part II / The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly / The Incredibles / Casablanca / Aguirre, The Wrath of God / 12 Angry Men / A Clockwork Orange / A Fistfull of Dollars / Persona / Stalker / Rules of the Game / Fanny and Alexander / North by Northwest / Berlin Alexanderplatz (incomplete) / Raiders of the Lost Ark / Sunset Boulevard / Singin' in the Rain / Some Like It Hot / Akira / The Bridge on the River Kwai / Return of the King / City Lights / Full Metal Jacket / The Usual Suspects / Saving Private Ryan / City of God / Gladiator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A list that only has movies released since 2000?!?!?! Whatever, just watch High Fidelity I guess.

That was the theme of my list. I plan to move to the 90s, then 80s, 70s, etc., but will probably bore of the idea before then. It's just a weird organizational device. :shrug: