Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

SKEET SKEET watch Taxi Driver. Psychotic De Niro is something every fan of his should have to see. He doesn't get more bad rear end than this.

My shameful list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Citizen Kane. The same problem here as The Usual Suspects. I know what Rosebud is. I'm afraid that I'm going to think it's over rated.

4. Die Hard. I'm a Bruce Willis fan, but I'm very rarely in the mood for action movies so it's always been overlooked.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Cantskate43 posted:

Edit: Well poo poo, looks like I was beaten to assign Bodnoirbabe's movie(Not that it matters, he still got Die Hard).

She! And I guess since I got that recommend from TWO people, I really have to do it. It's on the top of the Netflix as we speak!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

marioinblack, you get to watch Gone With the Wind because I'm a girl and I don't think any other goon would recommend you see it over the others in your list.

Okay, so I had Die Hard picked for me. It was a fun movie. I can see the appeal, and for a movie made in the eighties, it's not so badly dated. I like that I know a lot more about all those pop-culture references. I can totally see why it sealed Bruce Willis' name as a movie star. He was pure awesome!

My updated shameful list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Citizen Kane. The same problem here as The Usual Suspects. I know what Rosebud is. I'm afraid that I'm going to think it's over rated.

4.Die Hard Chinatown I'd be going into this one blind. I don't even know who the lead is, but I hear it's a good movie, so I suppose I should see it some day.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. There Will Be Blood. I'm one of those people that watched No Country For Old Men instead. I hear it's brilliant, but it doesn't look too interesting to me. OIL!

10. Dr. Strangelove. I'm a Kubrick fan, but for some reason, I can not watch this one. I've tried and it bores me to sleep within the first half hour. People tell me how funny and poignant it is and I can't see it from the limited amount I have seen.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

marioinblack posted:

Gone With the Wind certainly is a classic. The movie felt like it had been made much later than 1939. Not my favorite movie in the world, but I can certainly see why it was so big for its time and in fact it has held up fairly well. Worth its watch despite the fact it is very very long.

Yay! I thought you were going to hate me so much for making you watch that, as it's pretty dramatically girly, but I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it! Now you can watch all the other manly movies in your list!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Demented Guy posted:

I'll keep my list short so that I could organize it better. With a list this short, maybe the turnover would be quicker.

Turnover's as quick as you can watch them. I'm eager to get to some of the other movies on my list, but I haven't watch Dr. Strangelove yet cause we're moving in two days and I'm too busy. Kind of makes me sad I can't move forward right now.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

6. The Iron Giant - Wrote it off initially, have since learned it's actually good.

You get to watch this! One of the most touching animated movies I've ever seen.

Okay, so after a few too many weeks, I finally got to see Dr. Strangelove today. That movie was pretty drat funny and I loved the acting in it. Peter Sellers was top notch in all three of his roles, but I thought George C. Scott stole the show. His performance was so comically perfect, from the looks and body movements to his line delivery.

The whole movie is amazing and I'm sorry I never finished it earlier!

Here's my updated list:

4. Chinatown I'd be going into this one blind. I don't even know who the lead is, but I hear it's a good movie, so I suppose I should see it some day.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. There Will Be Blood. I'm one of those people that watched No Country For Old Men instead. I hear it's brilliant, but it doesn't look too interesting to me. OIL!

10. Do The Right Thing. I have no idea what this movie is about, but I have no problems with Spike Lee as Crooklyn is one of my favorite films and I did enjoy Jungle Fever. I'd be going into this one pretty blind.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 4, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Shoah If Hoop Dreams made me tear up this is going to make me cry my eyes out isn't it.

Time to cry! It was either this or Alexanderplatz and this one just seemed more interesting on reading the synopsis. Plus, I didn't want to be the rear end in a top hat that assigns you a 15 hour epic.

Okay, so I finally got around to watching Chinatown. I just don't get it what is so spectacular about it. Sure, the actors were all good, Nicholson being incredible, but it just didn't hit a nerve with me. As a matter of fact, I found a good portion of the movie boring. I just didn't care about anyone in that movie besides Nicholson and his reasons for wanting to get to the bottom of what was happening weren't that exciting. Also, I don't know why it's called Chinatown, when it's not even a factor in the movie, just alluded to as a hard time in Nicholson's past.

No, perhaps film noir style just isn't for me.

My updated list:

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

10. Do The Right Thing. I have no idea what this movie is about, but I have no problems with Spike Lee as Crooklyn is one of my favorite films and I did enjoy Jungle Fever. I'd be going into this one pretty blind.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 20, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Skutter posted:

Natural Born Killers- I'm not a big fan of Oliver Stone, and I've heard that this film is just violent for violence's sake, so it's never appealed to me on any level. I do like Woody Harrelson though.

I know I can't pick for you, but this movie is so amazingly good. It's not violent just to be violent. It's violent because that's what gets butts in seats. That's the whole point of the movie: That violence, sex, etc. sells. It's a social commentary and I think it makes it's point perfectly.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Underflow posted:

I haven't seen ET. Dunno if that's a great miss or not, but I've learned to keep my mouth shut about it in company, 'cause people tend to look at me kinda funny when I confess.

Thanks for the info? If you want to participate in this thread, read the OP. I'm sure someone would love to recommend that you watch ET!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mikewozere posted:

Rear Window - Expect more Hitchcock films to be added to this list as I don't think I've seen any. I'm not even too sure why. I think my film taste has matured a lot since the last time I had the opportunity to watch one of his films and neglected to. I've been skim-reading Empire magazines Hitchcock specials though and am fully aware of his genius.

This is a fantastic place to start Hitchcock, Mikewozere. Enjoy!

Okay, so I just finished watching Citizen Kane and wow is that film ever deserving of it's fame. I found it a completely engrossing study of a man and needless to say, ORSON WELLS (haha! Not Marlon Brando! Who would make that mistake. That's stupid. I certainly wouldn't. Haha..ha...haha..) was superb. My initial idea of the movie was it was some sort of political movie. I was so glad it wasn't and at the end I came to realize that one of my favorite movies (Velvet Goldmine) was crafted after it.

Simply wonderful.

Updated List:

3. A Streetcar Named Desire. I hear it's one of Brando's most inspiring roles. Also, I am retarded.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 2, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Sheldrake posted:

:psyduck: This reads like a dispatch from another universe. Where was Marlon Brando in Citizen Kane?

FitFortDanga posted:

What the gently caress crazy version of Citizen Kane did you watch?

HAHAHA. Sorry, I meant Orson Wells. I am retarded, as you've all probably guessed...Going to fix that now...

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mikewozere posted:

Psycho - Might as well replace Read Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

I can't pick for you, but I just wanted to state, to ease your mind a bit, that the shower scene, while iconic, is not half as interesting as the rest of the crazy in that movie, so you'll be juuuuust fine.

Edit: Commas are Gods gift to man so I try to use them as much as possible.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

penismightier posted:

Harvey Love that Jimmy Stewart.

Prepare to love him even more.

Just finished There Will Be Blood less than five minutes ago and holy hell, excellent film. Well...actually, the film as a whole...kind of boring. BUT, the film as a vehicle for Daniel Day Lewis to crazy it up? Perfect 10. One of the best performances I've ever seen of his. The slow decent into jealousy and madness was delectable. On a different note, I would love to see the behind the scene shots of the two major scenes Daniel and Paul had together. I bet it was a hoot to film and they laughed their asses off.

Anyhow, here's my updated list:

3. A Streetcar Named Desire. I hear it's one of Brando's most inspiring roles. Also, I am retarded.

9. City of Lost Children. My husband is partially deaf and I hear this is about deaf people and culture. Suppose I should give it a whirl.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

7) Volver - I rented this one a few times without watching it. I want to, I just never found the time. I love Cruz when she works with Almodovar.

Time to get your money's worth. Penelope is wonderful in this movie and the entire thing is incredibly intriguing to watch. Enjoy!

I just finished Do The Right Thing and I am once again blown away. The movie was incredibly apt at showing the tension between races that brew under the surface of even some of the most understanding people. Spike Lee is a wonderful director and he never ceases to amaze me in just how exactly he is able to portray race relations between blacks and whites. At the end of the day, I don't see the ending of the movie demonstrating one race superior to the other. What happened to Radio was not Sal's fault and what happened to Sal was not Mookie's fault, but they all fed off of each other. In final chaos, their was one spark and then they all threw gasoline onto it.

Anyhow, fantastic movie and it reaffirms my like of Spike Lee. Also....holy poo poo, Rosie Perez in the first 5 minutes was a real :psyduck:.

My updated list:

9. City of Lost Children. My husband is partially deaf and I hear this is about deaf people and culture. Suppose I should give it a whirl.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 6, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Arkane posted:

I watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The word bananas has never been more appropriate. Hilarious, poignant, and insane all rolled into one. I give Gilliam a lot of credit because I can only imagine after watching the movie what the book was like, and adapting a book like that for the screen is quite an accomplishment. All that being said, not sure it stacks up to other films in terms of quality, but definitely worth the watch for the experience.

The book is exactly like the movie. One of the best adaptations. There is more rambling in the book, of course, but almost all the dialogue you could read directly from the book with the movie. It's beautiful. Read it.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

Despite all the bombs that Whoopi has made, there is a very specific reason why she is an EGOT winner. While she didn't win for her role here, she should have. Also, Danny Glover is fantastic. Even Oprah rocks the loving show. EVERYONE ROCKS THIS MOVIE. Enjoy!....poo poo. Think I'm gonna have to go rewatch it now. HA!

I just finished watching The Graduate and it's a good. It's really a simple story, but what really got me was just how great the cinematography was. The shots in that movie really conveyed the emotion of the scene very well. From awkward angles to tension filled long shots, the whole thing had a very expressive tone. Dustin Hoffman, while stonefaced for most of the movie, was superb. He had so much expression in his eyes. It's no wonder he became a big star.

Here's my updated list:

5. City of God. I know very very little about this movie, but everyone keeps getting it recommended to them, so I'm going to add it.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 13, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

krupa posted:

I know these are pretty much the standards, but ive only started to appreciate film in the past few months so I have a lot of catching up to do.

8 1/2

The Seven Samurai

Battleship Potemkin

Bicycle Thieves

The Godfather Part II
- I actually have this but I wasnt crazy about part I so i havent gotten around to it.

Lawrence of Arabia

Raging Bull

Rashomon

Apocalypse Now

Chinatown

This is a good list, but could you add some insight into WHY you've never seen these movies or at least what your expectations are, feelings about the movie, anything? It helps with the selection process when someone picks for you.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mikewozere posted:

The Graduate - I really don't know much about this film and I've not seen any of Hoffman's work before Rainman, really. Never had the opportunity to watch this.

I just watched The Graduate and it was good, but I just want to add that if you want to see more of his work prior to Rainman, you HAVE to see Little Big Man. One of my favorite films and Hoffman is excellent in it.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Spreadsheet nerdery.

This is fantastic! Any way we could get it added to the OP with an update each month?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Kassoon posted:

Inception - Both a modern and on the top 250. I hear it's sort of like Memento? I don't know, I haven't read much on it. The last time modern and top 250 have aligned like this was with The Dark Knight, and I really enjoyed it.

Since this is the last movie you're going to be doing in this thread, might as well leave with a top notch one. Enjoy, and even though you're not going to do more movies, please come back and tell us what you thought.

So, I just finished Rocky and I think it was really cute. Not the normal thing you hear someone describe Rocky as, right? But really it was. Rocky was an adorable, dumb dog. The kind that knocks over poo poo while he's bounding into your lap to lick your face. The story was simple and Stallone did very well in it. I liked the movie and can see why it's popular, although I think being female, I don't regard it as the end all be all of sports movies like guys would. Great underdog story.

Anyhow, here's my updated list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour

5. City of God. I know very very little about this movie, but everyone keeps getting it recommended to them, so I'm going to add it.

6. Apocalypse Now. I don't know the difference between this and Redux, so whoever recommends this, make sure you let me know which is the better to watch.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky

Magic Hate Ball posted:

STANDBY: The Color Purple

Just out of curiosity, why is this on standby?

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 25, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only this one left, which I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

I have not heard of, much less seen any of the movies on your list, so I'll just go with the first one on there. I hope you enjoy it despite your own reservations.

Just finished The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. It was a good film, and I'm glad I finally stayed awake to see it get interesting. Clint Eastwood is so debonair in that movie, and I found Tuco hilarious. I actually started feeling pretty bad at the end for Tuco, greedy little weasel that he was. Anyhow, it's not something that I'd stick around to watch again, but I enjoyed it.

Updated list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Another film I've fallen asleep attempting to watch several times. Always right around the space part starts. I've seen the ending, but have no idea how it connects with the movie. The whole thing just seems boring.

6. Apocalypse Now. I don't know the difference between this and Redux, so whoever recommends this, make sure you let me know which is the better to watch.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 25, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

1. The Crying Game ("Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See") - The Dean of Students at my college actually spoiled the big reveal for me soon after it came out. Thanks, whatever your name was. I'm not too interested in the movie, but it's the only one left on this list.

It will feel good to complete the list, even if the reveal's been spoiled.

So Apocalypse Now. God. drat. That is one intense loving movie. Just finished it less than five minutes ago and I still have a very disturbed feeling in the pit of my stomach. Everyone, EVERYONE in this movie was phenomenal. I've never seen Martin Sheen in any role as good or as intense as this one. It's just a whole WOW thing. The atmosphere of the movie is so crazy, and the further that boat goes up river more insane it gets. The music, the acting, the atmosphere, the situation, it all goes crazier and crazier the closer they get to Kurtz. The part where they reach the bridge, it literally looked like my interpretation of the gates of hell. Insanity, chaos, fear, flailing. Just pure and simple Hell. God. drat.

I also happened to watch A Streetcar Named Desire on my own. That movie was wonderful. Vivien Leigh is great how she plays mad, and of course Brando is top notch. It was interesting seeing Brando in this and then Brando in Apocalypse Now. It has sealed my thinking that Brando really is deserving of the title as one of the greatest actors of all time. Fantastic!

Okay, so here's my updated list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Another film I've fallen asleep attempting to watch several times. Always right around the space part starts. I've seen the ending, but have no idea how it connects with the movie. The whole thing just seems boring.

3. The Red Shoes. The only thing I really know about this movie I learned from the musical Chorus Line (which is loving awesome in it's own right and everyone should see it). I hope it's as good as everyone makes it out to be.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 6, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Sheldrake posted:

BodNoirBabe, I think you're actually thinking of Children of a Lesser God. City of Lost Children, however, is fantastic as well, though it's kind of a trippy steampunk (in a good way) fairy tale. Pick one of those two and watch it.

You're completely right! Thanks! For my mistake, I will "punish" myself and watch both.

FitFortDanga posted:

And if you want to see a really good movie about deaf culture, check out Sound and Fury.

We've seen it and it really pissed off both myself and my husband.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

It pissed me off too, I'm glad I'm not the only one! It is thought-provoking and fascinating, though. It didn't piss me off as a movie, the people in it pissed me off.

Yeah it was the father that really got to us. He was just so selfish in his decision making. I understand deaf culture and the need to feel like you belong, but keeping a child handicapped out of pride is just so...selfish!

My husband is only partially deaf and he'd love to get the cochlear implants, but he's not deaf enoough. He know's what it's like to be stuck between two worlds and it's torture for him at times. To us, it doesn't make sense that someone would willfully keep their child disabled despite her wishes.

Anyhow, end of rant...YAY MOVIES!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

Could the next person to reply miss suggesting a movie for me if they haven't seen it please? Let someone who can really recommend something do mine.

Why does it matter? I assume you want to see all the movies on your list, so if the person tells you to watch it, you still get to watch it, even if they haven't seen it themselves.

I don't get it. You just want to feel like someone thinks it's a good movie before you settle into it? That's the whole point of this thread. EVERYONE thinks they are good movies. You don't see things like Twilight appearing on anyone's lists, now do you? The whole world has recommended those movies. We're only picking which order you're going to watch them in. Stop being silly.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Arturo Ui posted:

Blazing Saddles, I thought was just OK. I didn't like Young Frankenstein much either so I guess I just don't like Brooks. I did appreciate the pioneering racial humor and the constant breaking of the fourth wall, though.

Out of curiosity, what is it that you disliked about the films? I know Brooks isn't for everyone, but it's comedy. Is it too slapstick? Too ridiculous? The jokes too ribald? I'm genuinely curious as to what turns people off Brooks films.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Cjones posted:

Haven't seen Motorcycle Diaries but am interested in it. Any good?

Perhaps you could make an entire list and someone will tell you to watch it and then you'd find out. The OP explains it all...

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

chemosh6969 posted:

10. The Wrestler - I know a little bit about this and I came close to seeing it once but missed that chance and it fell off my radar.

Here's your second chance! It's incredibly wonderful and Rourke should have gotten an Oscar.

Just finished Children of a Lesser God and I have to say I was underwhelmed. It's basically just a romance where one of the characters happens to be deaf. Marlee Matlin is a wonderful actress, and I always love watching her in movies, but there was nothing moving about this. I was expecting something more profound and it simply didn't deliver. A bit disappointed.

Here's my updated list:

3. The Red Shoes. The only thing I really know about this movie I learned from the musical Chorus Line (which is loving awesome in it's own right and everyone should see it). I hope it's as good as everyone makes it out to be.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 20, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

Natural Born Killers: Of all the movies I haven't seen that Stone directed or Tarantino wrote, this is the one that interests me the most (even if Tarantino did only write the first draft).

This was a really tough choice, because I was going to give you Boogie Nights, but you HAVE to see this. It is shockingly brilliant and one of my all time favorite films. It is specifically due to this film that I am a fan of Juliette Lewis, no matter what other crappy movies she may have stared in. Same deal with Woody Harrelson.

I just finished watching City of God after putting it off for way way too long. I found the movie very engrossing, and the way all the tales were weaved was really nice. The movie itself was pretty intense and there was one point where I almost turned it off, as I didn't think I could take much more The part where Steak has to choose which little kid to kill. But I felt the whole thing was really well done and deserving of it's claim to fame.

Here's my updated list:

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 14, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

picklejars posted:

lovely post about too much poo poo that has nothing to do with this thread and then finally loving get's to the loving point but is still poorly formatted.

I'm going to assume that you're trying to pick a movie for me. You should probably put the person's name to call attention to the fact that your loving picking for them, especially if your posts are going to be long winded, badly formated posts.

Also, you highlighted two loving movies there without saying which one you're loving picking for me. The Usual Suspects or The Pianist?

Get it together, man. It's not hard to do this.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 15, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

picklejars posted:

Sorry, it's been a bad, bad day. I usually have it more together. I edited the post, but I'll put it here for you.

The Pianist.

Thank you.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

dotCommunism posted:

Rosemary's Baby was nice and creepy. It let you know that something wasn't quite right but kept you from quite figuring it out for a while. Kept things nice and subdued but still scary.

Here's a bit of trivia for you. Roman Polanski was the director of the film, who was married to Sharon Tate. Sharon Tate was murdered by the Manson Family, who's leader, Charles Manson, felt he had to start a revolution per the instructions he received from The Beatles White Album by killing Sharon Tate and her friends and trying to blame it on black people. John Lennon, one of the forefront members of The Beatles group, lived and died at The Dakota, a luxury apartment building in New York City. This also was the same building used to film the movie Rosemary's baby, directed by Roman Polanski.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 17, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

von Braun posted:

10.The Royal Tenenbaums
Bought this on Criterion for cheap on an auction site and it has been sitting left unseen on my shelf ever since. Also, never seen a Wes Andersson.

I'm a huge Wes Andersson fan, so you get to watch this! It really is very good, and if you like, I suggest you move directly to Rushmore, my absolute favorite of his.

Okay, so finally finished The Pianist. It was pretty good. Although, I don't see what was so spectacular about it. Good, yes. Amazing, no. Adrien Brody was great and it's a very touching story, but it's just the same poo poo about how horrible the Holocaust was. Don't get me wrong, I think it was horrible, it's just that movie didn't bring a new spin on it, or a new side, or new information. It was just a story of the Holocaust. Still very good!

Here's my updated list:

4. Tombstone. Not a fan of westerns, but I've realized this only applies to old westerns, like...pre 1970's where it was all about being a macho man. I think I should give this one a shot.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 22, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I think what makes it special is that it's not just a grim film. It's a grim film done by Roman Polanski, the king of misery. His style lends, at least in my eyes, a unique filmic take on the event, though I can understand where you're coming from.

Hmmm... The only Polanski film I've seen is Rosemary's Baby, so I didn't know what to look for for his style. Perhaps once I've seen more of his stuff, I'll come back to this and appreciate it more.

Edit: Actually, I just checked and it seems that Chinatown is ALSO a Polanski film, and one I was not very impressed with, having had to watch it for this very thread. I guess I just don't "get" the genius of him. His movies are good, but I don't see how they're phenomenal. Here's my original review of Chinatown:

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Okay, so I finally got around to watching Chinatown. I just don't get it what is so spectacular about it. Sure, the actors were all good, Nicholson being incredible, but it just didn't hit a nerve with me. As a matter of fact, I found a good portion of the movie boring. I just didn't care about anyone in that movie besides Nicholson and his reasons for wanting to get to the bottom of what was happening weren't that exciting. Also, I don't know why it's called Chinatown, when it's not even a factor in the movie, just alluded to as a hard time in Nicholson's past.

No, perhaps film noir style just isn't for me.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 22, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Chinatown is a metaphor, when Jake worked in Chinatown as a cop he tried to do as little as possible because too often interfering just made things worse for the people he tried to help. Think about that in context with everything Jake does in the last third of the movie. (I didn't get this until I saw the movie a second time. On first viewing I had a pretty similar view to you.)

Fun fact, originally no part of the movie took place in Chinatown, but Roman Polanski insisted that a movie called Chinatown needed to have at least one scene take place in Chinatown.

Hmmm. I can get that. I don't know if I'll watch it again, but I remember the movie and that seems like a good explanation.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

I haven't seen a single movie on your list, so I'll just pick this first one for you. I hope it lives up to your expectations. Also, just out of curiosity, what movie would you give a 10 out of 10?

Finally saw The Red Shoes and was underwhelmed. It was beautifully shot, don't get me wrong, but the movie was overly long. It seems that the story took a backseat to the theater aspect of the movie and so by the time plot points came around, I just didn't care. The theater and show segments were quite beautiful and the dancing and music were wonderful, but I just couldn't care about the people. The movie too it's sweet rear end time even letting the two lovers MEET each other. Not a movie I'll be inclined to watch again.

Here's my updated list:

3. Raging Bull. Going into this one blind. Don't even know who plays the main character. It's about boxing, right?

4. Tombstone. Not a fan of westerns, but I've realized this only applies to old westerns, like...pre 1970's where it was all about being a macho man. I think I should give this one a shot.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 1, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Rogetz posted:

- Gran Torino: Didn't see it in the theater, but Clint Eastwood just keeps getter better the older and more reflective he gets.

You're completely right. Enjoy!

So I just finished with Eraserhead and holy god drat. That movie is hosed in the head. I have never felt more disturbed by a movie ever. I'm not sure of the message the movie was trying to convey other than gently caress with my head as much as possible. The direction is great. The atmosphere is almost unbearable it's so palpable. This is probably the most visceral reaction I've ever had to a movie. I felt completely disturbed only 10 minutes in and it just got worse and worse. Bad movie? Absolutely not. I like to imagine Lynch accomplished what he set out to do, what that was, I have no idea. I'm glad I've seen it, but I think it will be a while before I see anymore of his movies. :psyduck:.

Can I also just give a hearty gently caress you to everyone who didn't clue me into what I was getting into? Some kind of warning would have been nice.

Here's my updated list:

3. Raging Bull. Going into this one blind. Don't even know who plays the main character. It's about boxing, right?

7. Lawrence of Arabia. Never even really heard much about this movie. I know it's a classic, but up until this thread, I never thought it was something I had to see. Here's hoping it's as good as everyone says it is and worth the time to watch it.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

penismightier posted:

It's funny that you're wary of westerns because they're too macho, so you think you should try loving Tombstone. Kurt Russell and the OK Corral not particularly manly to you?

...Man I love Tombstone

There a difference in the atmosphere I suspect. Or perhaps I've not seen any good old westerns. But the clips I've seen of each are different. Like, when people reminisce about John Wayne, it's about how much of a macho man he was. When people reminisce about Val Kilmer, it's about how an amazing actor he was. That's the difference to me. The old ones just seem so full of swaggering men and machismo.

I'm sure my bias isn't correct, but until I warm up to more westerns in general, I'm only going to list the ones I think I'll have a shot at liking more.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 13, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

penismightier posted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't see Tombstone - it's a terrific movie - it's just that it's the most blatantly "macho" western in a long while.

I think you and I are using the word macho differently. You're using it to mean overtly masculine and I'm using it to mean swaggering bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

knees of putty posted:

So for me, Raging Bull seen and replaced with Rules of the Game, Jean Renoir.

Great, but part of the thread is giving a short critique on the film and whether or not you liked it and why. It doesn't have to be epically long or detailed, just a few sentences.