Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Moon was really excellent. Its influences are pretty obvious but it's separated enough to be its own piece of work. I'm kind of a sucker for realistic sci-fi, and the detail that goes into Moon is pretty spectacular and at times almost satirical (e.g., the scuffs all over the walls are a pretty good condemnation of the "make everything white!" 2001 style). Sam Rockwell plays his dual part well, and the differences between the two almost feel like a Kaufman-esque take on aging. Kevin Spacey is hilarious as GERTY, the helpful robot, and I was pleasantly surprised (and kind of relieved) that it didn't take the helper-robot-is-evil route, which has been done to death. His malleable nature makes him a pretty sympathetic third character. There's a lot that goes on in the film, and it's weaved together fairly elegantly, using a lot of well-done exterior shots and panopticonic coverage of the moon base that makes it feel both larger than it really is and more claustrophobic than it was probably designed to be. I hope this goes down in the general film canon, it's too good to be forgotten.

MonkeeKong, you get The Man Who Fell To Earth because I like Roeg too!

SCHANDE!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) The Conformist - I've been interested in this ever since I saw a neat cover someone made for it in a "fake Criterion art" thread somewhere, and it sounds interesting too. I'd like to expand my knowledge of Bernardo Bertolucci as well; I thought The Last Emperor was interesting if kind of flawed, but apparently he's a pretty big name.

3) Where The Wild Things Are - I was so unbelievably excited about this when the ads started rolling out, and then...I didn't see it. I don't know why. It looks good and Spike Jonze is a pretty excellent director.

4) Les Enfants Du Paradis - Hello, TSPDT #29! This is long and old and French. I'll probably love it!

5) Yojimbo/Sanjuro - It's my eventual goal to watch (and generally keep up with) the Criterion Blu-Ray line, and I liked Ikiru, so let's follow up with another Kurosawa (double-feature). I'm not really sure how I feel about samurai films, but these are pretty highly-regarded.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Ordet - I'll play your games, TSPDT. This actually looks kind of interesting, like a Bergman film almost (and it probably is, I still haven't worked my way through a good deal of his work). I've only seen one other Dreyer, Vampyr, which in fact I own and desperately need to see again.

9) The Leopard - Well, I've heard this is good. I like films like this, films about society during an upset (I suppose that's one reason why I found Gone With The Wind so captivating), and it'd be interesting to see a film about Sicily, where my Grandfather was born.

10) Through A Glass Darkly - Bergman catch-up time. The first of a "trilogy" (not really). Apparently it's about some people on an island, but isn't that what every Bergman film is about? I guess this spot is reserved for more Bergmans.

STANDBY: The French Connection, The Color Purple

Edit: Watch list!

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon (total: 15)

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Color Purple was kind of odd. Spielberg doesn't so much produce a tight, developed plot as he does simply tell a story, the kind where the scenes and characters spill out like the innards of a gutted enemy. It does work, though, once it's relaxed into and you accept that the film is simply going to roll along naturally. The comic scenes are kind of jarring at first because they seem so out of place, but they seem to serve two purposes, the first isto make the cruelty all the more horrific, and the second , possibly, to make a film with the strange racist overtures of the period in which it's set. Spielberg is very big on making and producing films like that, that not only depict realistically or fantastically a period but adhere to its values. It's a weird trick but it makes sense when you start to realize that The Color Purple works best as a dream-style illusion film that is constantly ready with tricks. Take the scene in which Sofia swears out the white woman in town for implying that her children should be her maids. In a modern context it plays at first like a "hell yeah" moment, and it's almost funny, but then the vindication is removed and it becomes violent and frightening and sad (particularly the detail of her skirt blowing up and revealing her legs and underwear), and it goes a long way, dramatically. It's more successful in its efforts to be free-floating and unpredictable than the messy Empire Of The Sun, which comes across more as lumpy and uneven (though similar ideas are at play), and it's definitely a very good and rather singular film.

EDIT: Also this is a really beautiful film, despite the mediocre DVD. Spielberg seems to be taking a leaf or two from Terrance Malick, photographing the South with a wide, open frame and a meandering camera. He also utilizes somewhat poetic voiceovers similar to those from Days Of Heaven, though decidedly less detached and more plot/character-oriented. Also, the music is kind of weird at times, and it works with the scenes that begin as sort of humorous and turn deathly black. I'll never forget the entrance of Sofia's character, her storming up the road, arms swinging, cartoonishly twangy music playing. "She was a big girl". The introduction is referenced again in the scene where, after Celia has suggested that Harpo beat his wife, she (Sofia) comes storming through a swath of cornstalks to confront her. Tall plants are a running theme in this movie, I wonder if they're symbolic for anything (or more appropriately, what symbols can we attach to them?).

surlyrodent, you get Tron. It's fun! Also there's a pretty great thread about it floating around here somewhere, it's worth a read after you've seen the film.

羞辱!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) The Conformist - I've been interested in this ever since I saw a neat cover someone made for it in a "fake Criterion art" thread somewhere, and it sounds interesting too. I'd like to expand my knowledge of Bernardo Bertolucci as well; I thought The Last Emperor was interesting if kind of flawed, but apparently he's a pretty big name.

3) Where The Wild Things Are - I was so unbelievably excited about this when the ads started rolling out, and then...I didn't see it. I don't know why. It looks good and Spike Jonze is a pretty excellent director.

4) Les Enfants Du Paradis - Hello, TSPDT #29! This is long and old and French. I'll probably love it!

5) Yojimbo/Sanjuro - It's my eventual goal to watch (and generally keep up with) the Criterion Blu-Ray line, and I liked Ikiru, so let's follow up with another Kurosawa (double-feature). I'm not really sure how I feel about samurai films, but these are pretty highly-regarded.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Ordet - I'll play your games, TSPDT. This actually looks kind of interesting, like a Bergman film almost (and it probably is, I still haven't worked my way through a good deal of his work). I've only seen one other Dreyer, Vampyr, which in fact I own and desperately need to see again.

9) The Leopard - Well, I've heard this is good. I like films like this, films about society during an upset (I suppose that's one reason why I found Gone With The Wind so captivating), and it'd be interesting to see a film about Sicily, where my Grandfather was born.

10) Through A Glass Darkly - Bergman catch-up time. The first of a "trilogy" (not really). Apparently it's about some people on an island, but isn't that what every Bergman film is about? I guess this spot is reserved for more Bergmans.

STANDBY: The French Connection

Watch list!

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple (total: 16)

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 5, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The French Connection ruled in all kinds of ways. I always like these kinds of complex crime films where you're not quite sure what's going on, but it doesn't really matter, and then later you go back and kind of piece it together. It's disorienting in a way that puts you in the shoes of the pursuers and then exciting when it finally builds up and you start to get a hold on what's happening and who's who. There are so many incredibly memorable moments that I don't think I could list them all, though besides, obviously, the car chase segment I'd have to say that the scene where they take apart the car is incredible. The suspension keeps mounting and mounting and then...on that note, the beginning of the rooftop-sniper segment (which leads into the car/train chase) is pretty shocking. It's also a little weird to think that when this came out, if you lived in New York you could see this in the afternoon then amble on down to Broadway to catch one of two of the greatest musicals ever produced. I kept thinking about that for some reason. Whenever a film features a lot of on-location shooting those kinds of things occur to me.

Sheldrake posted:

6. Fat City - I've heard some mixed reviews, and I'm far from the world's biggest John Huston fan, but the story sounds pretty interesting. AND IT'S MOTM!

And that's why I'm picking this one!

수치!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

STANDBY: Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Das Boot

Watch list!

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection (total: 17)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

JVO posted:

2) Metropolis - I've never seen this all the way through, and since there's been all this talk lately of the new-found footage, this is probably a good time to remedy that.

Unless it's showing near you soon you can't see the new version until November (when it gets a home media release), so if someone picks this you'll be stuck watching the old version.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't like you anymore.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
And I think it's one of his best.

:colbert:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
penismightier, you get Autumn Sonata. Enjoy!

The Leopard was all kinds of awesome. It was like all the best parts of period films rolled into one, with a big surprise dollop of introspectiveness. I was honestly not expecting it to take the turn that it does in the final third, and it's so excellent how you're carried with him as he comes to these realizations about his age and mortality, even before he sees the big painting. Man, that ball was opulent as hell. It's great how relaxed the film is about it, too, how sometimes it just stops to watch people dance. I may have to buy this.

SHAME!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

5) The Wages Of Fear - This has been on my Netflix queue ever since the Blu-Ray came out, but for some reason I haven't seen it. Why? Who knows! It looks exciting, though.

9) Breathless - Jump cuts! New wave! French people smoking cigarettes! Goofy sunglasses! References to other movies or something or whatever!

STANDBY (I'm so lame): Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Das Boot

Watch list!

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection, The Leopard (total: 18)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think you mean Don't Look Now (Christ, I hated that movie).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's two and a half hours of a bizarre semi-satirical fishing show; there have been longer, weirder things watched in this thread.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It should be noted that Netflix carries the 1997 flipper-disc version, which is a good deal shittier than the more recent two-disc version, so check your local library before you give up a spot on your queue.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I like Ebert's observation that Paris, Texas is a film in which you have no idea about what is going to happen.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FitFortDanga posted:

From what I recall, Man on Wire stole almost all of its music from the Michael Nyman scores for various Peter Greenaway films. The only music I can recall from My Dinner With Andre is Satie's "Gymnopedie", which appears in a lot of movies.

It also squished the hell out of a lot of old 1.33:1 footage, which drove me nuts and is the reason why I've only seen the film once.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Might want to hold on The Game, there's a Criterion due out this year (might even be announced today) and the current DVD is unbelievably terrible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yojimbo/Sanjuro

I was actually surprised by the humor in these. Samurai films are something I'm almost entirely unfamiliar with so it was nice to have these as a kind of entry. They're very modern, too, which also took me by surprise (the jangling theme in Yojimbo is hilarious) and just plain enjoyable. After I finished the first I immediately swapped it out for the second because I was so enthralled. Sanjuro is the lesser of the two, not for any bad reasons but simply because it's just not as super-A+. It does play around with the "established hero" sequel structure really well, though. The plot with the flowers was marvelous and I kind of wish these were in color because I can only imagine how stunning that might have looked (not to mention the burning and slashing of the sake tanks in Yojimbo[/b]).

Das Boot

gently caress! This movie was gripping as hell from beginning to end. The final scene felt a little tacked-on (I was already aware of the irony of rooting for the U-boat crew, I didn't need the point hammered home like that) but it doesn't tarnish the other three hours. For some reason what really sticks with me is all the lemons they're eating. That never occured to me. The down time between attacks were almost the most interesting segments, just the documentation of life of the submarine. When they come up and go to that ridiculous little party with the buffet it's such a shock to the system that it makes the armchair smarm of the non-submarine officials almost overwhelming.

The Conformist

I feel like I'm missing something with this one. Visually it's stunning and the plot is kind of nice, but it felt like it was forcing itself on me. If it ever comes out on Blu-Ray I'll give it another go, the DVD was pretty lacking visually and it seemed like a loss of image quality did a number on the overall impact of the film, like seeing 2001 on VHS. The plot was so complex, too, that I just wasn't able to absorb all of it. Like 8 1/2 I have a feeling that revisiting it will reveal more and more.

Shame!

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) Aguirre: The Wrath of God - A classic, apparently. I adored Fitzcarraldo and apparently this one is even better. I've seen two Herzog films and I'm still not really sure what his style is, maybe this will help.

3) The Mirror - Woop woop, Tarkovsky! I think I rented this once but didn't watch it. The clip I saw of the barn on fire on Youtube was marvelous, though.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) The Wages Of Fear - This has been on my Netflix queue ever since the Blu-Ray came out, but for some reason I haven't seen it. Why? Who knows! It looks exciting, though.

9) Breathless - Jump cuts! New wave! French people smoking cigarettes! Goofy sunglasses! References to other movies or something or whatever!

10) Through A Glass Darkly - Bergman catch-up time. The first of a "trilogy" (not really). Apparently it's about some people on an island, but isn't that what every Bergman film is about? I guess this spot is reserved for more Bergmans.]Les Enfants Du Paradis[/b] - Hello, TSPDT #29! This is long and old and French. I'll probably love it!

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection, The Leopard, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Das Boot, The Conformist (total: 22)

TenSpadesBeTrump, you get A Woman Under The Influence.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Archyduke posted:

It often seems to me that in Truffaut movies, people have to try harder to seem as if they've lived less than they have

That's an interesting thing to say, could you expand on that? I don't care too much for Truffaut's works but I've never been able to put my finger on it. "Elegiac and exhausted" is also succinct; there's something terribly French and homemade about them that just totally fails to capture my interest.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"What, are we driving through plutonium?"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I prefer his early short film, 100 Blows, it's much more pure.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Breathless

I'm not sure why I held off on this one so long as to put it on my Shame list. Godard is in my list of favorite filmmakers, way up above Truffaut, who doesn't click with me for a variety of probably idiotic reasons, but this one, even after getting a marvelous Criterion BD, never really called my name. Maybe I just wasn't listening hard enough because I adored it. It's just so breezy and fun, all parts, the dialogue, the music, even the cinematography is breezy (the light is captured in a wonderful way that made me wish my apartment had bigger/more windows). Some parts are a little draggy, and the film could have been a couple minutes shorter and suffer no real loss but the overall experience is a delight. Really impressive.

SHAAAAAAME

2) Aguirre: The Wrath of God - A classic, apparently. I adored Fitzcarraldo and apparently this one is even better. I've seen two Herzog films and I'm still not really sure what his style is, maybe this will help.

3) The Mirror - Woop woop, Tarkovsky! I think I rented this once but didn't watch it. The clip I saw of the barn on fire on Youtube was marvelous, though.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

9) Vertigo - I once saw this film, a long time ago, but I remember almost nothing about it. It's a shame that the current DVD is so lovely, though.

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection, The Leopard, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Das Boot, The Conformist, Breathless, Where The Wild Things Are (total: 24)

pill for your ills, you get HAUSU.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Magic Hate Ball, we'll go with Vertigo, not sure what you're talking about with the DVD.

Maybe I'm just projecting because so of the other DVDs in the Masterpiece Collection are really lovely (The Man Who Knew Too Much is nearly unwatchable).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I was a little apprehensive about Vertigo because I remembered it, from some long-ago viewing, as being dull and heavy with unremarkable romance. I must have really been an idiot when I was 15. What's lovely about Hitchcock is how his secondary characters are so often so remarkable, and Vertigo had a lot of them. Some were humorous in that dry Hitchcock way (the woman running the inn), some a little bit creepy (the bookshop owner, though not through any fault of his own), one kind of infuriating (the judgmental judge). But Vertigo also has one of Hitchcock's best secondary characters, Midge. She doesn't do much besides be ignored by Scottie and give him a couple pushes when he's investigating but it's impossible to imagine the film without her. Perhaps she's...the earthly love compared to the high, almost heavenly object of Madeleine? I don't know. I hadn't expected, either, that the post-Madeleine segment would be so enthralling. I've never seen a makeover that was so intensely suspenseful.

4/4

SHAAAAAAME

8) Raging Bull - I saw this some time back and I didn't really...get it, I suppose, and I don't remember much of it either.

9) Dial M For Murder - Well, heck, let's make this the Hitchcock spot.

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection, The Leopard, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Das Boot, The Conformist, Breathless, Where The Wild Things Are, Vertigo (total: 25)

penismightier, go watch The Mirror, and then make me watch it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can't imagine being in a situation where my conversation partner would have the chance to say "You've never seen Dirty Dancing!? Guh!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Is Chariots Of Life the sequel to Chariots Of Fire?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Raging Bull - I saw this a few years ago at a cinema revival series when I was a dopey teenager and all I remember was looking at my watch a whole lot. The film bored me out of my mind, which is one of the pieces of incontrovertible evidence indicating that I was a moron back then. Raging Bull is gripping, tragic, and emotionally complex. It's also amazingly well-made, and perhaps the reason it didn't resonate with me when I was 17 is because I wasn't familiar enough with the language of film. Scorsese is a genius with camera movements and he's all over the place with them here, particularly slow motion. There are so many pieces and layers of the film that it's hard to compress into a blurby review. The home-movie segment could be dissected for pages on its own (what music is that?). drat. Amazing movie.

4/4

SHAAAAAAME

8) City Of God - Apparently this is pretty good...?

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection, The Leopard, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Das Boot, The Conformist, Breathless, Where The Wild Things Are, Vertigo, Raging Bull (total: 26)

Princess, you get The Leopard.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I love reading everyones reviews when they come back, but it sometimes makes me feel like someone who just doesn't get good movies. And I really, really want to get them. Does anyone else feel like this?

Part of liking film is simply knowing what your tastes are. I don't really care for Truffaut so I don't bend myself into knots trying to "get" his work. It's also a matter of knowing the language of film. Raging Bull didn't work for me so many years ago because I had no idea what he was trying to do, but after becoming familiar with the kinds of films that inspired him it clicked for me. Raging Bull is not an easy film, and there are many great films that are difficult, but just because you have the ability to understand a difficult film doesn't mean you have to like it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
lol *shrug* all right then I guess that's a valid argument and you don't totally seem like a moron

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
So this is, what, list no. 12? You're burning through these at a rate higher than most! I'm sure there's an apropos joke to be made...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ordet

I have to say, this didn't really resonate with me. Perhaps because the only religion I was exposed to as a kid was by way of Charlie Brown Christmas and it's still all completely alien to me. However, it did wrap me up in its strange, distant beauty, and in the last moments I was enraptured with the joy of the miracle. For a moment, the film tricked me into believing, and that's pretty incredible. I don't believe, and I'm firm in that, but in becoming involved in the film I could understand where it comes from. Visually, and on the surface, the film is oddly dull, with lots of long takes of the actors from the waist or knees up, but there's something sort of unsettling about it. We can see all of the characters, all of what matters, anyways, and it didn't surprise me to read that this was adapted from a play because the body language of the characters often matters more than the facial expressions. The long shots also give more focus to the text, which is important. With the subtitles, Ordet becomes almost half-novel.

3.75/4

SHAAAAAAME

2) The Straight Story - The only Lynch film I haven't seen.

8) City Of God - Apparently this is pretty good...?

In transit: Aguirre

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection, The Leopard, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Das Boot, The Conformist, Breathless, Where The Wild Things Are, Vertigo, Raging Bull, Ordet (total: 26)

Krull, I hope you have a darn good time with Cries And Whispers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

penismightier posted:

Finished from this thread:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:

Might be time for you guys to break out the [sub]s on those.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
City Of God is a churning hallucination of a movie. It dabbles in all forms and doesn't seem out of place in any one of them (some scenes have the formalism of The Godfather, some have the handheld freedom of Breathless, and some look like the Zapruder film), swirling through story after story, and sometimes story-within-a-story, closely following a narrative that zig-zags all over the place. It's breathtaking, terrifying, and absurd, splashed with color and light and bursting with vibrant activity, tilting between sexy charm and serious danger with carefree, frightening abandon. In many ways what it does isn't particularly original. A murder with a strobe light on, a casual narrator, a loopy, Matryoshka-doll plot, an event captured through a camera, etc. It's all been done before, and stylistically it's almost always mirroring something familiar, but it does it so well that it doesn't matter.

9.5/10

SHAAAAAAME

8) On The Waterfront - I'm really not even sure what this is about.

In transit: Aguirre

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9.5/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9.5/10 (total: 27)

tokillthesunflower gets Amarcord, which is really pretty good despite whatever FFD says.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I really, really hope that that's high on Criterion's Blu-Ray list.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Dude, this is your third list.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Sporadic posted:

and the strange acoustic guitar soundtrack, which I wasn't expecting

It's a zither!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I've always found the concept of the suspense film to be kind of funny. It seems against logic that anyone would pay to feel sick over the stresses of imaginary people, but there's an industry based off of the concept and people can't get enough, including me. There must be something sado-masochistic about it, or even escapist. Suspense films allow us to be consumed entirely in the action on-screen, however slow-burning it may be, shutting out the rest of the world. The Wages Of Fear consumed me entirely. In some ways it's a very methodical film, particularly in the last ninety minutes which is simply a series of progressively larger roadblocks interrupted by relative peace, character development, and growing camaraderie (which borders vaguely on homosexuality, though not vaguely enough to avoid being edited out of the original American release), but it's written and arranged in a way that feels entirely natural, almost jazzy. Even the bizarre twist ending doesn't seem all that out of place because the rules have been established that anything goes.

4/4

Aguirre, the Wrath of God is suspenseful in a different, more ambient way. I'm still not sure I have a grasp on Herzog's style or intention but he seems to have a fascination with the strange adventurer, the kind who throws away common sense in pursuit of whatever mystery or goal is filling their head. The rafters of Aguirre, we know, are doomed from the start, which makes the film more an exercise in dread and finality than anything else, but the way Herzog weaves the textures of the Amazon into the story expand it beyond that. It's almost hard to describe, actually. It's a tactile film, subtly affecting in its gradual developments. The plot is, first and foremost, about the pompousness of the Spaniards, who frantically work to uphold order, even as Aguirre undermines and eventually destroys it, but it works more as a skeleton for the poetic documentary-style observation of Herzog's camera. Often more is said when nobody is talking.

4/4

SHAAAAAAME

5) Lawrence Of Arabia - I was going to wait for the Blu-Ray but everyone's been loving it in this thread, so what the hell.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9.5/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9.5/10, The Wages Of Fear 10/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 10/10 (total: 29)

Budhisattva, you get Touch Of Evil.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't know how many Bergman films you've seen, but more often than not the woman is not only the protagonist, but the major figure of power and complexity and possibility. In his earlier, male-protagonist films obviously they are given a smaller role but the presence is just as significant, and in his later films, as he moved away from Max Von Sydow and towards Liv Ullmann and Bibi Andersson, they are sometimes given all the presence, such as in Persona. Scenes From A Marriage, for example is about the ignorance of the "married girl" and what it means and takes to become a woman (among many other things; it is five hours long).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Watch the five-hour version some time, the additions (cuts, actually) aren't extraneous.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

There's one particular scene that significantly alters the way you perceive a character's motivations. I don't like it and wish it wasn't there, but I don't mind all the other additions.

You mean Stanzi taking her clothes off for Salieri?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Mirror marks my third Tarkovsky (after Stalker and Solyaris). I like his style, he's painterly and very tactile, using colors and the camera very carefully. The greens and blues of The Mirror are almost unbearably lovely at times, and there are parts of the film that rest solely on them, on looking very, very good. He creates, at all times, a sense of dream state, sometimes with fluid slow motion. Even in black and white the state is not suspended, and in fact one of the film's best, possibly most memorable sequences is in grainy monochrome. While it never makes perfect sense, and often exists in memory, The Mirror is nevertheless emotionally logical. There are so many sequences that function perfectly from beginning to end that any of them could be plucked from their reels and played as a short film, but they're linked together in a way that seems entirely natural, organic even.

Kino's DVD is pretty subpar. The visual quality isn't distractingly bad, but it looks overall like a really good laserdisc (the black and white scenes often shimmer purple and green). What's really aggravating is the subtitles, which sometimes seem overly simplified, almost lazy, and there's not a conversation that goes by in which entire sentences simply aren't transcribed. It's like they decided to cut everything that wasn't pertinent to the plot. A typical conversation might go:

"blah blah blah...
[no subtitle]
...blah blah blah"
[Where were you born?]

"blah blah blah...
[no subtitle]
...blah Moscow blah blah blah"
[Moscow]

The only criticism I have of the film itself is simply that parts of the film really feel their age. Many of the newsreels feel sort of tedious and redundant, a distraction from the film itself, which is otherwise almost flawless.

9.5/10

edit: some screencaps (spoilers, kinda)

SHAAAAAAME

3) All About Eve - Well, Netflix doesn't have the Blu-Ray, but it's next on TSPDT and I've heard good things.

5) Lawrence Of Arabia - I was going to wait for the Blu-Ray but everyone's been loving it in this thread, so what the hell.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10 (total: 30)

Peaceful Anarchy, you get An Angel At My Table.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 20, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
On The Waterfront isn't really my kind of film. It's good, I just had a hard time really getting invested in the plot. The last thirty minutes were fairly gripping (the moment when Edie runs down the alley towards Terry and the truck appears in the distance behind her is probably worth the entire movie) but I can't really claim to have loved it on the whole.

6/10

Also I saw Through A Glass Darkly like forever ago and totally forgot. It's very good, very organic and dark in a satisfying sort of way. So much of the film is simply about the way the characters live and in a way it's very beautiful, very human. It's a film unlike any other that I think I've seen. It comes from the ether, unpretentious and alive. I felt like I could touch it and many of the film's images are retained vividly in my mind.

10/10

SHAAAAAAME

3) All About Eve - Well, Netflix doesn't have the Blu-Ray, but it's next on TSPDT and I've heard good things.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

10) Winter Light - Part two of a not-really Bergman trilogy.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10 (total: 32)

Wow, Chili, that's an awesome list. I'll give you Brazil because it's a personal favorite.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 26, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Straight Story is, in a strange way, a very Lynchian kind of film, because this is the Lynch that exists behind all the weirdness people usually associate with him. It's a very warm, kind film. There's not much conflict, essentially it boils down to a series of interactions between Alvin Straight and people he meets on his journey, but it's gripping all the same, and enormously affecting. Lynch also gets a chance to paint pictures of the midwest, capturing its weird beauty in a way I've never really seen elsewhere. It's a sort of surprisingly marvelous film. It was a joy simply to co-exist with it.

9/10

SHAAAAAAME

2) Badlands - I like what I've seen of Malick so far.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10 (total: 33)

TrixRabbi, Peeping Tom is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Lawrence Of Arabia surprised me. I think I'm kind of used to expecting naivete from earlier blockbusters but here there was a fairly intense and disturbing depiction of a crumbling psyche. Lawrence is never treated as an outright hero. It's easy to fall in love with his quirky gallance in the early scenes, but the film banks on this for Lawrence's eventual moral and mental disintegration, and his ultimate defeat. To be frank I can't say I understood very well the politics of the film, it was all very alien (I wonder how much Frank Herbert's Dune was inspired by it) and sometimes confusing, but I'm kind of dumb when it comes to foreign politics. The only real slow spot in an otherwise gripping four hours was Lawrence's brief retreat to England, which feels like a dramatic cul-de-sac, but since it's a biographical film I suppose they handled it pretty well. It's simply overshadowed by the pre-intermission sequence in which Lawrence awkwardly stumbles back into the British society, which suddenly seems totally absurd.

8.5/10

SHAAAAAAME

2) Badlands - I like what I've seen of Malick so far.

5) Viridiana - Next on the TSPDT list. I've only seen two Buñuels, one I was too dumb to appreciate at the time and the other I loved.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10 (total: 34)

Ratedargh, you should be scared. Salò!