Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Vertigo Ambrosia I choose Raiders of the Lost Arc for you. You might as well watch the other 2 in the original series if you like Raiders.

I'm so terrible with movies, I have failed to watch so many classics, and subject myself to terrible terrible movies, here's my terrible list. I don't know much about most of these movies outside of Goodfellas is a mob movie and Citizen Kane is about the story of a man. I know no spoilers.

1. Casablanca - I've just never really thought of watching it.

2. Citizen Kane - Just like Casablanca.

3. Any Hitchcock sans Psycho and the Birds - I would like to see Rear Window and North by Northwest at some point though.

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge Kubrick fan.

5. Goodfellas - Haven't thought of seeing it.

6. Godfather Series - Everything I hear about part 3 is terrible, but the first 2 are supposed to be on the Mount Rushmore of movies, I don't have much of an excuse here.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown - A movie I know is a classic, but I never think about.

9. 12 Angry Men - Just like Chinatown.

10. Gone With the Wind - A classic I've never gotten around to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Whoops, posted too late. Cantskate43 I choose Rocky for you. It's really just a fun movie that makes you feel better after seeing it.

So I watched Chinatown and I can see why it is as lauded as it is. Jack does an amazing job here, and if you ever get to watch this movie without having any idea the premise, I'd do it. Just a really solid shot, acted, and written movie. I'd put it high on my list. Thank you for picking this out for me.

marioinblack posted:

3. Any Hitchcock sans Psycho and the Birds - I would like to see Rear Window and North by Northwest at some point though.

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge Kubrick fan.

6. Godfather Series - Everything I hear about part 3 is terrible, but the first 2 are supposed to be on the Mount Rushmore of movies, I don't have much of an excuse here.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Another Jack classic that I haven't seen.

9. 12 Angry Men - Just like Chinatown.

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 10, 2010

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
VorpalBunny you need to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, while I like Once Upon a Time in the West a little bit more, I would recommend watching The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly first. It has a bit more substance to keep you interested throughout. It's probably better to have an appreciation of the genre before you watch the other. The latter isn't something I realized was great until it all sunk in after I watched it all. Both are all time classics though. The Eastwood trilogy doesn't really have to be watched in order as each movie offers a unique story with basically the same character.

This thread might be my favorite on the forums now after watching 12 Angry Men. I'd hate to give a kneejerk reaction, but it probably will go down as one of my favorite movies ever. It is easily one of the most well acted movies I've ever seen. Each of the 12 jurors brings a unique trait that all ends up working very well together. Between Juror 8 being calm and thoughtful, Juror 10 being racist, Juror 7 being indifferent. Each and every actor did an absolute amazing job portraying who they were playing. It's probably a movie I will watch many times again in the future.

marioinblack posted:

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick, although The Shining isn't a bad movie by any stretch. I didn't really like 2001, but it wasn't my kind of movie.

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Arkane, just watch It's a Wonderful Life. For as sappy as it may be or may be perceived, it is legitimately a great movie.

Gone With the Wind certainly is a classic. The movie felt like it had been made much later than 1939. Not my favorite movie in the world, but I can certainly see why it was so big for its time and in fact it has held up fairly well. Worth its watch despite the fact it is very very long.

marioinblack posted:

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick, although The Shining isn't a bad movie by any stretch. I didn't really like 2001, but it wasn't my kind of movie.

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing - Unfamiliar with Spike Lee.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Waterhaul, I'm going to recommend The Big Lebowski. I'm not sure how to put it after that, but watch it yourself and decide.

By all means Casablanca is a classic. Just a really well written and acted movie. Somewhat predictable, but it's a 40s movie and many of its concepts have been replicated since which probably makes it predictable. Plus from what I know of it (which wasn't much to being with) it was easy to put 2 and 2 together. Still a timeless movie that set an early standard for romantic films.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens - I've seen the first, I loved the first, I love action movies, I have no excuse.

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing - Unfamiliar with Spike Lee.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Peaceful Anarchy you should watch Hoop Dreams, I've seen bits of it and it's a great documentary. In fact I need to watch the whole thing myself, speaking of shameful.

I don't know how to put One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I've never really seen a movie quite like it other than maybe Cool Hand Luke. The movie does a great job of staying intriguing all the way through. I don't think I ever felt myself getting bored. Good recommendation, good watch.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens - I've seen the first, I loved the first, I love action movies, I have no excuse.

3. Rear Window - I haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in a long long time.

6. Godfather Part I - I've heard the quotes, know the basis, and know the actors, but not much beyond that.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption - I know absolutely nothing about it.

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing - Have never seen a Spike Lee film.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
ProfessorClumsy I'm going choose Gone with the Wind for you. It's certainly a classic for its time even if it isn't my cup of tea. I wouldn't go so far as saying it's cinematic perfection though (well Clark Gable is).

Speaking of engaging The Godfather Part I definitely is as good as its reputation says. Al Pacino does a great job portraying Michael Corleone's fall to a ruthless villain. It was just overall well acted and well written, I really don't know what more to say, I don't know why it took me this long to watch it. It's a classic for all time.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II - The next logical step.

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
caiman, Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite Leone film, and I think you need to fix the issue of not having seen it yet now.

It took a little while for The Godfather Part II to really get going. The first part up until the end of the Cuba scene, and after Michael learned of the abortion the movie is outstanding. It just sagged a bit in the middle, and because of that I'd have to put it under the first part. It really seemed like it took awhile for Pacino to get going. All the scenes with De Niro were fantastic though.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Skutter, you might as well watch Casablanca and get an understanding of why your dad loves it so much. Plus the film is very good in its own right.

Goodfellas is one of the finest movies I've ever seen. The plot was engaging, and it really put me in that world and gave meaning behind why they live that way. The camera work was magnificent and really helped set the scene throughout the movie. I felt like I could understand Liotta's motives even when he was high off his rear end. I can't remember the last time I felt close to a character when that character was a completely different personality. What a fantastic movie.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull - I'll have to put another Scorsese film on here since I enjoyed Goodfellas so much.

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Watch City of Sadness to rectify your lack of Hsiao-hsien Hou.

Do the Right Thing is a very good race relation film. Really nobody comes off as a good guy here as it shows everyone is flawed and nobody's really doing anything to change it. Not a perfect movie by any means, but it was really meant to convey its message and it did that well. Very well casted too.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull - I'll have to put another Scorsese film on here since I enjoyed Goodfellas so much.

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future - The ultimate shame.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

CloseFriend posted:

Cool Hand Luke: I'm usually apprehensive about movies that take place entirely within one location, especially since that location is prison. But hey, I thought the Shawshank Redemption was great and Murder in the First isn't so bad if you don't try to measure its historical accuracy, so I should probably just give it a shot.
While a majority of the movie is in prison, it ventures outside way too much to be considered a one location movie. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I.

Well I have never seen a movie quite like A Clockwork Orange. I elected to think about it for a day before deciding what I really do think about it. It's certainly an interesting movie and very well done. McDowell is perfect, you really get to hate his persona in the movie and then almost pity him toward the end.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove - Might as well throw another Kubrick out there.

5. Goodfellas

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

skutter posted:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly- Another one of those "my husband loves this movie and has been bothering me to see it for years". I've only ever seen two Westerns in my life and I thought they were OK.
This movie is amazing on so many levels, and has possibly the greatest song in the history of film during the graveyard scene.

Wall-E might just be one of the best movies I've ever watched. Certainly the best from Pixar (Note: I haven't seen Cars, Ratatouille, or Up). I love the fact they played this like a silent movie. The message is simple and effective, plus they didn't cram it down your throats. It flowed really well, the editing was fantastic. I really don't have any knocks about it, except maybe I wish it were longer since I left wanting more.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. Goodfellas

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - To continue the Pixar spree.

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing

vvvv I meant to quote you to start, but I saw a new post when I previewed so I just changed to his recommendation and forgot to replace the name.

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 26, 2010

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'm going to force you to watch Shakesphere in Love just to see the reaction.

Anywho, I must say Citizen Kane might be the most perfectly put together movie I've ever seen. I really can't think of any flaws with it and it's apparent why this film has meant so much to the way films are made. It's definitely a 10/10 movie.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca

2. Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. Goodfellas

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

tokillthesunflower posted:

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.
Very solid movie, hopefully you feel the same way.

I hate myself for never seeing Aliens before this because it is somehow superior to its predecessor. Really a very solid all around movie that has a ton of rewatch value. It'll be in line with the Arnie classics and Rambo as movies I'll flip on whenever I get the chance. Stellar movie.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - I guess I'll use this to throw movies in more of an action type mold together. Although this movie may be loosely using the term, still don't know why I've never seen it.

2. Citizen Kane

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. Goodfellas

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Bodnoirbabe posted:

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.
This is worth a look whether you like Stallone or not. Really the great underdog movie.

I went into The Shawshank Redemption only knowing Morgan Freeman was in it and nothing else. Needless to say I'm still kind of in shock since I just got done watching it. All I can say is that it's one of the best movies I've seen (which appears to be a recurring theme here, but that's because I've been bad about watching movies). The story itself is amazing which I guess credit goes to King for that. It's really flawless in my mind. Never a dull moment, and characters you really felt for. If any movie were to get a 10/10, this is the one.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - I guess I'll use this to throw movies in more of an action type mold together. Although this movie may be loosely using the term, still don't know why I've never seen it.

2. Citizen Kane

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. Goodfellas

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List - Another film from the same period I don't know much about other than it's praise.

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

mikewozere posted:

How did you feel when it was revealed he'd been digging out and hadn't killed himself? I can scarcely remember the first time I watched this film now and was just wondering what reaction you had. Every-time I watch it now, I know it's coming so I can never regain that first virginal viewing. What were your thoughts?
I got the idea he might not kill himself just because that was the type of person he was, but I had no goddamn idea that it all led to that. However, I really didn't know what the hell would happen overall and that was about the last thing I expected.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

sexual rickshaw posted:

7) Young Frankenstein - Saw Blazing Saddles for the first time last year (believe it or not), and yet, I haven't gotten around to watching other early Brooks film.
One of the all time great comedies.

I wish I were younger when I watched Back to the Future, but even now it is a fun movie. Really gives you a sense of wonder even now.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens

2. Citizen Kane

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. Goodfellas

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List - Another film from the same period I don't know much about other than it's praise.

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan - Don't know much about this movie other than Tom Hanks and World War II.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Killer's Kiss I've seen everything Kubrick made after this, guess I should watch this too.
Complete your Kubrick.

Schindler's List is such a powerful movie. I'm not ashamed to admit my eyes got watery at the end after everything played out. Now I can see why the Fugitive lost at the Academy Awards that year.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens

2. Citizen Kane

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. Goodfellas

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile - Keeping with a 90s trend here.

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan - Don't know much about this movie other than Tom Hanks and World War II.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Zogo posted:

#53 The Pianist - When this came out I didn't feel like seeing yet another WWII movie (I must've seen at least ten that year.) Since then I have forgotten about watching it.
I've only really seen this and Basterds, and it's really a hit or miss movie depending on the style of comedy you like. So instead of putting a potential dud on you, I'll put this since it's a very solid movie. One of the better WWII movies I've watched (although about half of what I've watched came from this thread).

Saving Private Ryan is yet another riveting WWII story (I guess it's the theme of this post now). While not on par with Schindler's List it's also not really comparable since it's a different perspective and genre really. The action scenes are about as well done as they possibly could be. Plus the use of sound might be the best I can remember in a movie. I felt a little disconnect with some of the side characters though, but overall it's an incredible movie probably 9/10 on my scale.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens

2. Citizen Kane

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. Goodfellas

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now - Keeping with a war theme.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

TrixRabbi posted:

#13 Chinatown - Don't think I've actually ever seen a Polanski film before.
Go see this now.

I guess I have to say I really didn't find Dr. Strangelove all that interesting. It had some moments of brilliance, and Sellers is fantastic, but I really found myself disinterested at a lot of points. It really wasn't my kind of movie. I probably went into with too lofty expectations, but maybe Kubrick is just not the director for me.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens

2. Citizen Kane

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Eraserhead - Never seen a Lynch movie and would be going into this without knowing anything about the plot or actors in it.

5. Goodfellas

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Chauntecleer posted:

4. Chinatown - In Hot Fuzz, Danny Butterman says "Forget it Nick, it's Sanford!" Now I want to get the reference.
Maybe you'll pick up a few more references too. I get to recommend it 2 times in a row now.

Raging Bull is certainly a classic and De Niro kills that role. I wish I could've been more interested in the story, but the movie wasn't really up the alley of movies I like. However, that's just me, and this thread has made me a bit better about that. Maybe I just watched it at the wrong time of my maturation in movie watching.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens

2. Citizen Kane

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Eraserhead - Never seen a Lynch movie and would be going into this without knowing anything about the plot or actors in it.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Seven Samurai - Top movie I haven't seen on the top 250.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Chauntecleer posted:

7. Brazil Saving Private Ryan- For some reason I've never really been too interested in this movie, probably because everyone gushed about it so endlessly when it first came out, so I was convinced it was just another blockbuster hit that would fade with time.
After watching this on request here, I must say it is a very good film.

Rear Window is the definition of suspense. Great story, very engaging, and very well shot from the apartment. It's a great build up to those last 20 minutes when the suspense breaks. It also kills off my original 10.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens

2. Citizen Kane

3. Rear Window
Vertigo - Keeping with Hitchcock/Stewart theme.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Blue Velvet - I've never seen a Lynch movie, and I'm changing this upon request that it would be a better movie for a first time Lyncher.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Can't get enough James Stewart on one list.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Egbert Souse posted:

Amélie - The stills look enticing.
Unfortunately I have seen none of your listed movies, so lets go with the top option!

The Green Mile was a great story, but it really feels like a watch it one time and never watch it again movie. I really wasn't emotionally into it, but it was still interesting and somewhat engaging. Maybe I just watched it in the wrong mood.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens

2. Citizen Kane

3. Rear Window

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Blue Velvet - I've never seen a Lynch movie, and I'm changing this upon request that it would be a better movie for a first time Lyncher.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile
Braveheart - I'm just going to throw 90s movies in this slot.

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

7) The Shining- staying with the horror genre, no excuse for this one
A classic in its own right and fits the theme of the month well.

Well it took me a month to watch, but I finally got around to Braveheart and wish I could've watched it sooner. A fantastic film that does butcher history, but definitely works out in pure entertainment value. It certainly makes you want to get up and kick some rear end afterwards.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens

2. Citizen Kane

3. Rear Window

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

7. Wall-E

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile
Braveheart
Unforgiven - I'm just going to throw 90s movies in this slot.

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

tokillthesunflower posted:

Fanny and Alexander More Bergman.

Its been 3 months, but I finally watched Apocalypse Now and I wish I hadn't waited the time period. The build up to learning of Kurtz's motives and reading into his background was really well done. The payoff was fantastic, and the end of the movie is stellar. I wish I were better at writing reviews because I can't do this film enough justice.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - Steve McQueen is a suave dude, why the gently caress have I never seen his films.

2. Citizen Kane

3. Rear Window
Vertigo - Rear Window impressed me enough I'll go with more Hitchcock.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Seven Samurai - Top movie I haven't seen on the top 250. Heard very good things.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - One of the few Pixar movies I haven't caught.

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile
Braveheart
Unforgiven - Another 90s film I've yet to see.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now
All Quiet on the Western Front - Another war movie that greatly intrigues me.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Porcupine Hunted posted:

5. Citizen Kane:
Everyone I know who has seen it claim that it is the most overrated film of all time.
And you'll get to see why those people are wrong.

Seven Samurai is a fantastic film. Amazing character development in the first half, and some very good battle scenes in the second. A little longer than I may have wanted, but it kept itself entertaining for a good portion so I can't complain too much.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - Steve McQueen is a suave dude, why the gently caress have I never seen his films.

2. Citizen Kane

3. Rear Window
Vertigo - Rear Window impressed me enough I'll go with more Hitchcock.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Seven Samurai
City of God - Top movie I haven't seen on the top 250. I don't know anything about it.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - One of the few Pixar movies I haven't caught.

8. Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile
Braveheart
Unforgiven - Another 90s film I've yet to see.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now
All Quiet on the Western Front - Another war movie that greatly intrigues me.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

penismightier posted:

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?
Why don't you insert this film into your DVD slot.

The Great Escape is a lot of fun rolled into one. This time I really like the length of the movie as instead of diverting off onto needless subplots, instead it really tied together the whole story. Very good international cast with great performances all around. I'll be sure to bring a baseball and a glove next time I get locked up in a tight room.

New sexier list:

1. Bridge on the River Kwai - I enjoyed the Great Escape and this film usually is listed alongside it.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Vertigo - Rear Window impressed me enough I'll go with more Hitchcock.

4. Blue Velvet - I've never seen a Lynch movie, and I'm changing this upon request that it would be a better movie for a first time Lyncher.

5. City of God - Top movie I haven't seen on the top 250. I don't know anything about it.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Ratatouille - One of the few Pixar movies I haven't caught.

8. Unforgiven - Another 90s film I've yet to see.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. All Quiet on the Western Front - Another war movie that greatly intrigues me.

Watched: Chinatown 4.5/5, 12 Angry Men 5/5, Gone With the Wind 3/5, Casablanca 4/5, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 4.5/5, The Godfather Part I 5/5, The Godfather Part II 4.5/5, Goodfellas 5/5, Do the Right Thing 3.5/5, A Clockwork Orange 3/5, Wall-E 5/5, Citizen Kane 4.5/5, Aliens 5/5, The Shawshank Redemption 5/5, Back to the Future 4/5, Schindler's List 5/5, Saving Private Ryan 4.5/5, Dr. Strangelove 2.5/5, Raging Bull 3.5/5, Rear Window 4/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, Braveheart 4/5, Apocalypse Now 5/5, Seven Samurai 4.5/5, The Great Escape 4.5/5

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

BulletRiddled posted:

The Shawshank Redemption - I've never had any interest in seeing this movie from the brief glimpses I've seen, but it's been at the top of the IMDB list for as long as I can remember.
I'll be honest, I was weary of watching it when I threw it on my list, but it really is worth a look. Really the only knock I have on it is that it can be a bit cliched at times, but it's such a great movie that it supersedes any cliches in my mind. I'm interested in your reaction.

City of God really felt like a Brazilian Goodfellas. As you can see in my rating of Goodfellas which I also watched as a part of this thread, that is not a bad thing. It's a whole lot darker though and doesn't have anywhere near the humor that Goodfellas had. However, I must rate this movie by itself, and I think it does an outstanding job putting you in the slums of Rio and watching life unfold there.

New List:

1. Bridge on the River Kwai - I enjoyed the Great Escape and this film usually is listed alongside it.

3. Vertigo - Rear Window impressed me enough I'll go with more Hitchcock.

4. Blue Velvet - I've never seen a Lynch movie, and I'm changing this upon request that it would be a better movie for a first time Lyncher.

5. The Usual Suspects - The next top 250 movie I haven't seen. Like City of God, I don't know much about this one either other than a few of the actors in it.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. All Quiet on the Western Front - Another war movie that greatly intrigues me.

Watched: Chinatown 4.5/5, 12 Angry Men 5/5, Gone With the Wind 3/5, Casablanca 4/5, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 4.5/5, The Godfather Part I 5/5, The Godfather Part II 4.5/5, Goodfellas 5/5, Do the Right Thing 3.5/5, A Clockwork Orange 3/5, Wall-E 5/5, Citizen Kane 4.5/5, Aliens 5/5, The Shawshank Redemption 5/5, Back to the Future 4/5, Schindler's List 5/5, Saving Private Ryan 4.5/5, Dr. Strangelove 2.5/5, Raging Bull 3.5/5, Rear Window 4/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, Braveheart 4/5, Apocalypse Now 5/5, Seven Samurai 4.5/5, The Great Escape 4.5/5, City of God 4.5/5

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Zogo posted:

#130 Snatch - It has been recommended but I forgot to watch this one at some point. (added 1/7/11)
There is a possibility you might not like this, but it's a fine movie in my mind.

Vertigo is really well made. The whole reveal and end were outstanding. Good recommendation.

New List:

3. Black Swan - Not enough newer movies on this list. Kind of interested in it, don't know much about it other than it's nominated for stuff.

5. The Usual Suspects - The next top 250 movie I haven't seen. Like City of God, I don't know much about this one either other than a few of the actors in it.

Watched now with bigger numbers: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 10/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 9/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

SKEET SKEET posted:

Dial M For Murder- I like Hitchcock, havent' seen this one. Bonus that it is on Netflix Instant right now.
You can never go wrong with a little bit of Hitchcock.

Blue Velvet is one I'll be thinking about for a while. It's really something like I've never seen before and I'm not really sure how to react. I liked it, but my head is still spinning. gently caress Heineken.

New List:

3. Black Swan - Not enough newer movies on this list. Kind of interested in it, don't know much about it other than it's nominated for stuff.

4. Mulholland Drive - I must say I'm a bit intrigued after Blue Velvet.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 10/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 9/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

skipper posted:

1. The Terminator (or any sequels)
- I never felt that pressured to see it. I already know the important lines. Though I briefly considered watching it when Arnold was elected governor.
I'm not sure if I can suggest 2 movies, but if I can, I suggest you watch the first 2. However, at the very least watch the first so you can throw the 2nd up and have that knocked off quickly. Really the first 2 movies are amazing and the 2nd is one of my favorite movies ever. Like many others will agree, the 3rd is a huge dropoff and probably should be avoided for the time being.

Ratatouille is certainly a fine movie. I'm not sure what to say about it, it's well made, the characters are endearing, and it's just fun. It also made me very hungry.

New List:

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 10/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 9/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

penismightier posted:

Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself With Tea So this is like if Marty McFly was a nazi, right?
That's a pretty amazing title, if you like it, I might have to see it out of merit.

All Quiet on the Western Front is just brutal. It kind of makes me think of a mesh between Seven Samurai and Saving Private Ryan. I was impressed at how well done some of the bombing stuff was done for a movie that old. Good movie with a clear and true message. Really does a great job of hammering it home.

New List:

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 10/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 9/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8.5/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

2) Chinatown- finishing up my important films of the 70s list
Based on how many times its been recommended, everyone in CD will have seen it soon. It's certainly a good watch though so enjoy.

Well I thought Blue Velvet was weird, but Mulholland Drive still has me reeling. I really don't want to say much so I don't spoil anything, but I'm not really sure what to say anyways. I can't remember the last time I was that drawn into a movie and mindfucked like that though. It's a genre of movie I would've never watched before and now because of this thread I get to realize my mistakes. Watts is incredible in this.

New List:

4. Sunset Blvd. - The movie that inspired Mulholland Dr. from what I've seen.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 10/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 9/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Magic Hate Ball posted:

8) Raging Bull - I saw this some time back and I didn't really...get it, I suppose, and I don't remember much of it either.
The only film on your list I've seen (which was also in this thread). Fairly strong all around.

I can see where the comparisons to Mulholland Dr. come from after now watching Sunset Blvd. and it makes me regret not watching them in the opposite order. What's odd is they talk about how few movie plots there are that its almost become cliched, yet this film really stood apart from anything I've really seen. The atmosphere is outstanding, it really feels like 2 different worlds. Swanson steals the show throughout this which is ironic considering her character. Great movie.

New List:

4. Network - This movie has greatly intrigued me, yet I keep forgetting to put it down.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 10/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 9/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9.5/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

FitFortDanga posted:

8. The Green Mile - As I said when I constructed my first list way back, I think I might like it.
I'm happy to have found a list where I've seen multiple movies. If you think you'll like this, then you probably will.

Bridge on the River Kwai felt like the superior version of the Great Escape. I can't believe how great the story was. Alec Guinness stole the show here and really cemented a fine performance. Jolly good fun.

New List:

1. Memento - Hearkening back to the original idea of this thread. This is a movie my dad really wants me to see.

4. Network - This movie has greatly intrigued me, yet I keep forgetting to put it down.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 10/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 9/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9.5/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 9.5/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

TrixRabbi posted:

#40 Once Upon A Time In The West - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.
I prefer this to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but that opinion is in the minority from what I've gathered. Less action and Clint Eastwood than the other, but I think it has a much more driving story.

Right around the time this thread started I watched Inception which was one of the craziest mind gently caress movie I'd really seen. Now I know I wasn't even close to mind gently caress land, or even on the same planet, I've still been missing out on some great ones but at least I'm aware of what movies are capable of. This all gets to this movie from the same direction as Inception. Memento is amazing. I knew it was backwards going in, but I really wasn't expecting something like that. There are very few flaws and is one of the best edited films I've ever seen. I've been way too lenient on my ratings so I'm not going to rate it perfect since those I did are all time favorites for me (and there's only a couple more movies I'd rate perfect), but this is still one of the at least 20 best movies I've ever seen.

New List:

1. Duck Soup - And now for something completely different. Graucho has some of my favorite quotes ever. However, I've never seen a Marx brothers film.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9.5/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 9/10, Memento 9.5/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

4) The Godfather Part 2- Just watched Godfather 1 recently, long.
Yeah it's long, but its worth the watch. Pacino staring at someone in one scene and not speaking is better acting than most people will do their entire career.

If you can go into movies blind, please do so. Unforgiven was nothing like I expected. I'm used to Leone style Eastwood, but this was certainly not that. I thought it started out fairly slow although it wasn't too bad, but the back half of the movie is stellar. Hackman steals every scene he's in also. Probably one of the darkest movies I've seen.

New List:

1. Duck Soup - And now for something completely different. Graucho has some of my favorite quotes ever. However, I've never seen a Marx brothers film.

8. The Silence of the Lambs - I've seen bits of this, but never the entire thing.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9.5/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 9/10, Memento 9.5/10, Unforgiven 9/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Whoops, beaten to the punch, here's one for you Zzyxzaa

Zzyxzaa posted:

Saving Private Ryan - A friend of mine is in the military, and this is his second favorite movie, I think. I guess I should see this.
At least on your list I've seen a couple of the movies and a couple that I'm about to put on mine. Very good movie. Tom Hanks best role in my mind (which is saying a ton).

I need to watch movies with people more often. After seeing The Usual Suspects, I really want to see it with someone who hasn't seen it. I've seen a few movies with great endings and journeys that drag out, but the journey here kept itself captivating and of course the ending is amazing. I wish Singer could pump more stuff out like this.

New List:

5. Psycho - I have not seen this movie in a very long time and remember zero details outside of the shower scene and the stairway scene. I remember not liking it too much, but I was also really young.

8. The Silence of the Lambs - I've seen bits of this, but never the entire thing.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 23, 2011

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Kull the Conqueror posted:

7. The French Connection: I hear there be action in this here picture. I'm a man who fancies action.
Hate being the guy that hasn't seen any movies of the above guy, but I've heard great things about this movie and will put it on my list someday.

Can't say much about Network, it is near perfect. This thread has put me on a mini Holden run, and I must say everything he's been in he's been amazing and he got overshadowed by a couple of performances in this movie. Good satire and great performances.

New List:

4. The Social Network - From one network to another. With it being this time of year, I figure I might as well see one of the movies favored for best picture.

5. Psycho - I have not seen this movie in a very long time and remember zero details outside of the shower scene and the stairway scene. I remember not liking it too much, but I was also really young.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9.5/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

zandert33 posted:

7. Aliens:
I believe I saw this when I was a kid, but don't remember anything. I saw the original last year
One I missed out as a kid and got to see with this thread. Much better than the original in my mind (and I love the original).

Just in time for Sunday, I catch The Social Network. Fairly interesting movie and it does a decent job of not portraying any character as right or wrong, just gives an overview of the story behind facebook. I wouldn't say it was a legendary film, but it was certainly worth its watch.

New List:

4. The Hurt Locker - Don't know anything about this movie. Just going to use this spot for every best picture winner going back.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9.5/10, The Social Network 7/10