Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

I'm going to join in too.

Toro913 - See From Russia With Love I think it is one of the best James Bond films.

My List:
1 - M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

2 - Double Indemnity

3 - Once Upon a Time In the West - Love Sergio Leone, but never got around to seeing this.

4 - Dune - Got into David Lynch when he made Twin Peaks. Saw Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me, Blue Velvet and Elephant Man.

5 - Animal Crackers - Saw A Night at the Opera recently and loved it. Looking for some more Marx Brothers madness.

6 - Amadeus

7 - 7 Samurai - Never saw any of Kurosawa's work

8 - Singin' in the Rain - Heard it was the best musical ever

9- Ed Wood

10- 12 Angry Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Finally got to see Seven Samurai. Wow, that was an amazing film. Loved the interaction between the samurai, as well as the interaction between the samurai and the farmers. The battle scenes were a bit difficult to follow, but I managed to figure out what was going on. Loved the samurai planning how to defend the village. Also loved the antagonistic, as well as cooperative interaction between the farmers and samurai.

Arkane, Never saw any on your list, but I've always been interested in The Adventures of Robin Hood, so you get to see that.

My List:

2 - Double Indemnity

3 - Once Upon a Time In the West - Love Sergio Leone, but never got around to seeing this.

4 - Dune - Got into David Lynch when he made Twin Peaks. Saw Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me, Blue Velvet and Elephant Man.

5 - Animal Crackers - Saw A Night at the Opera recently and loved it. Looking for some more Marx Brothers madness.

6 - Amadeus

7 - 7 Samurai
7 - Rashomon - Going to stick with a Kurasawa movie here.

9- Ed Wood

10- 12 Angry Men

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Dune was ... interesting. I never read the book, and had some difficulty understanding what was going on at the begginning, but I started getting interested after Paul and Jessica crash landed on Arrakis. Makes me want to read the book and see what may have been cut out/changed.

My List:

2 - Double Indemnity

Dune
4 - The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951) - I tend to like Sci/Fi, but never saw this.

6 - Amadeus

7 Samurai
7 - Rashomon - Going to stick with a Kurasawa movie here.

9- Ed Wood

10- 12 Angry Men

Peaceful Anarchy, Never saw any on your list, but Max Von Sydow was in Dune, which I just saw, and he was great in the Seventh Seal. And he was also in Pelle the Conqueror I understand, so you get that.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Saw Singin' in the Rain. Was definitely one of the better musicals I've seen, if not the best. Gene Kelly was great, and Donald O'Connor was also great. Plenty of comedy. Music was very good.

My List:
M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

Double Indemnity

Once Upon a Time In the West - Love Sergio Leone, but never got around to seeing this.

Dune
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951) - I tend to like Sci/Fi, but never saw this.

Animal Crackers - Saw A Night at the Opera recently and loved it. Looking for some more Marx Brothers madness.

Amadeus

7 Samurai
Rashomon - Going to stick with a Kurasawa movie here.

Singin' in the Rain
My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Ed Wood - Saw most Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaborations, but somehow missed this

12 Angry Men

LtKenFrankenstein, I think I saw Rear Window when I was a kid, but I don't remember it, and it may make my list soon. You get to see it first.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Finally got to see Once Upon a Time in the West Great movie. Different from the Dollars Trilogy. Much slower paced and more thought provoking. Great musical score by Ennio Morricone. Sergio Leone doesn't disappoint.

Also saw Animal Crackers on my own. The Marx Brothers are great. Loved the bridge game w/ Harpo and Chico and also Chico's non-stop musical number.

My List:

Double Indemnity

Once Upon a Time In the West
Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended alot. Haven't seen it yet.

Dune
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951) - I tend to like Sci/Fi, but never saw this.

Animal Crackers
Duck Soup - Another Marx Brothers film that I'd like to see

Amadeus

7 Samurai

Singin' in the Rain

Ed Wood - Saw most Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaborations, but somehow missed this

12 Angry Men

TrixRabbi, You can see 2001: A Space Odyssey

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Saw Amadeus. It was very good. The music was great. I'm glad that they chose to highlight Mozart's music rather than play it as just background music. I like classical music, but don't really know the difference between Mozart, Bach, etc. but I really enjoyed the music. I really didn't care for either Mozart or Salieri, but you couldn't help but feel sorry for Salieri because he couldn't measure up to Mozart.

My List:

Double Indemnity

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended alot. Haven't seen it yet.

Dune

Animal Crackers

Amadeus
The Princess and the Frog- I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

7 Samurai

Singin' in the Rain

12 Angry Men

MistleToe Donkey, you get to see Planet of the Apes

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 20, 2011

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Just watched Double Indemnity. Wow, very good movie. Easy to get drawn into the story. Barbara Stanwick was great as the femme fatale, and you good just feel the rottenness and corruption oozing off her. Fred MacMurray was surprisingly good as Walter Neff. I loved his interactions with Keyes in the movie.

Dmitri Russkie posted:

My List:

Double Indemnity
The Dark Knight - Would like to put something more recent on my list, and this movie is just sitting on my DVR now.

Dune

Animal Crackers

Amadeus
The Princess and the Frog- I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

7 Samurai

Singin' in the Rain

12 Angry Men

knees of putty, I had Singing in the Rain recommended to me, and I thought it was fantastic. It is your turn to see it.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still was ... OK. Maybe it was a somewhat new concept in 1951, but after decades of seeing old Twilight Zone and original Star Trek episodes, the whole humans are a danger to the universe stories seem kind of old to me. The acting also wasn't really great shakes either. Felt like I was watching an old Twilight Zone episode. Wasn't bad, just OK.

My List:

Double Indemnity
The Dark Knight - Would like to put something more recent on my list, and this movie is just sitting on my DVR now.

Dune
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951)
Brazil

Animal Crackers

Amadeus
The Princess and the Frog - I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

7 Samurai

Singin' in the Rain

12 Angry Men

zogo, only one on your list I've seen is High Noon, so you get that one.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Saw 12 Angry Men and I was very impressed by it. A very nice look into the American judicial system. I also liked how the men were slowly becoming more and more agitated with Fonda and how the heat was taking a toll on them. Lee J. Cobb and Henry Fonda were great, and it was nice to see some old time familiar faces like Jack Warden and Jack Klugman.

My List:

Double Indemnity

Dune
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951)
Brazil

Animal Crackers

Amadeus
The Princess and the Frog - I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

7 Samurai

Singin' in the Rain

12 Angry Men
Sunset Boulevard - Loved Double Indemnity and would like to see some more Billy Wilder.

bluefire, haven't seen any on your list, so I say try Winchester '73 since ... well ... Jimmy Stewart

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Saw Ed Wood and I really enjoyed it. Martin Landau and Johnny Depp were great. Not knowing anything about Ed Wood or having seen any of his movies, I was constantly surprised with where the movie went, and how funny parts of it were. I also liked the relationship between Wood and Lugosi. One of the best movies (tied with Seven Samurai) I've been recommended on this thread.

Peaceful Anarchy, haven't seen any on your list so I will pick Yesterday Girl at random.

My List:

Brazil

Plan 9 From Outer Space - Having finally seen Ed Wood, I'd like to see one of his movies

Sunset Boulevard - Loved Double Indemnity and would like to see some more Billy Wilder.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Double Indemnity, Amadeus, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Sunset Boulevard. Was very impressed with it. Better than the other Wilder picture I saw, Double Indemnity. (and I liked Double Indemnity). Gloria Swanson was very creepy as Norma Desmond. Liked how it explored the dark side of Hollywood.

Peaceful Anarchy, seems like I'm always picking movies for you, even though I've never seen any that are on your list. How about Spione?

My List:

Brazil

Plan 9 From Outer Space - Having finally seen Ed Wood, I'd like to see one of his movies

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 6, 2011

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Was very impressed by The Dark Knight. Had a little trouble getting into the story at the beginning, but once I was in, it was a non-stopped thrill ride. It was not only a good superhero movie, it was a good movie in general. Was a character study of not only Batman, The Joker, Harvey Dent, etc. but also the people of Gotham as well as the audience in general.

Knees of Putty, see The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, what could be better?

My List:

No Country For Old Men - As someone on this thread mentioned, I also get this confused with There will be Blood. That will be added to my list later

Brazil

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 13, 2011

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Just saw Plan 9 From Outer Space. Of course it wasn't what you would consider a good movie, but I will say it was enjoyable. The pie plates flying over Hollywood was memorable, as was the bad dialogue and inconsistencies. It probably did start the 'So Bad It's Good' meme. Loved the aliens 'Stupid, Stupid' dialogue.

My List:

No Country For Old Men - As someone on this thread mentioned, I also get this confused with There will be Blood. That will be added to my list later

Brazil

Dracula - Never saw any of the classic Hollywood horror movies, but now that I've gotten interested in Bela Lugosi (through the Ed Wood pictures), this seems like the natural first pick.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space

bluefire, see Solaris

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Brazil was a good not great movie on first viewing. However it seems to be the type of movie that grows on you after multiple viewings. That's fine with me since there are a few movies I grew to like after multiple viewings. The visuals were very impressive and Jonathan Pryce did a great job as Sam Lowry. However I found the story somewhat long and the plot didn't seem to hold together as much as I'd like.

My List:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Dracula - Never saw any of the classic Hollywood horror movies, but now that I've gotten interested in Bela Lugosi (through the Ed Wood pictures), this seems like the natural first pick.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil

Budhisattva, go for Reds

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Just saw Rashomon. This was the second Kurosawa movie recommended to me, and I am very impressed with his work so far. Not as good in my mind as Seven Samurai, but that is not a complaint, since Seven Samurai was one of my favorite movies in this thread. Liked the multiple viewpoints of the story. Even the witnesses story was shown not to be completely reliable.

My List:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Yojimbo - Next movie on my Kurosawa watch list.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon

P78M, you will preview Yojimbo for me.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Yojimbo was great. I've seen three Kurosawa films on this thread, and I've enjoyed them all. Looking forward to the next one. I knew that A Fistful of Dollars was kind of a copy of it, but that was blatant theft. (The Dollars trilogy is still some of my favorite films though). This was Mifune's best performance that I've seen yet. And the music and scenery was fabulous.

My List:

Sanjuro - Kurosawa's next movie on my list.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo

Electronico6, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek movie there is. See it.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

I was tasked with seeing No Country for Old Men along with watching There Will Be Blood since I mentioned that I always seemed to get there titles confused. I enjoyed both movies.

Old Country for Old Men was a great movie. The scenery was great. The story was interesting. I was a bit disappointed when Moss ws killed, but I see now that that made the movie better than if it ended conventionally.

There Will Be Blood was an interesting story about greed and corruption. seemed to like Daniel Plainview when the movie started, but he slowly started to lose his morality and become more and more unlikeable. The truth is there really was no likeable characters in the movie.

My List:

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysteical, and I could use a good comedy now.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood

marioinblack, having just seen No Country For Old Men, I recommend that you see it. It is terrific.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

If Wade doesn't pick one for me by tomorrow night, I'll take M. That one is the only one left from my original list.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Just saw M. It was the earliest movie that I've seen. Was a bit hard to get into at the start, but once the criminals and police were doing their manhunt, it got interesting. Peter Lorre was great and I really liked the comparison between the police and the underworld.

My List:
It's a Wonderful Life - This is on every Christmas, and yet I have never seen it.

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysterical, and I could use a good comedy now.

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended a lot. Haven't seen it yet.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M

Jurgan, Definately see Rashomon. The only Kurosawa films I've seen on the three on my list, but I've enjoyed every one and he has quickly become one of my favorite directors.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Duck Soup was very good. Not the best Marx Brothers movie, but satisfying. Groucho has the leader of country was interesting, and Harpo & Chico were consistently good. Really, can you ever go wrong with the Marx Brothers.

Also saw The Princess and the Frog. Very fun movie and I really liked the music.

My List:
It's a Wonderful Life - This is on every Christmas, and yet I have never seen it.

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysterical, and I could use a good comedy now.

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended a lot. Haven't seen it yet.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Only Monty Python movie I've seen is The Holy Grail. I am very interested in seeing the other ones.

Cars - Only Pixar movie that I haven't seen.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog

zandert33, you are going to preview Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for me.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Sanjuro was a good followup to Yojimbo. Not as serious as Yojimbo, with some good comedy moments. Toshiro Mifune was very good. Took a little while to get into the story, but when I did, I was completely engrossed.

My List:

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Only Monty Python movie I've seen is The Holy Grail. I am very interested in seeing the other ones.

The Hidden Fortress - This was originally going to be my foreign movie slot, but Kurosawa is quickly dominating it. Every time I see one of his movies, I can't wait to see the next one.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro

TenSpadesBeTrump, I've been thinking about adding a few Chaplin movies to my list, so you get to preview The Kid for me.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

The Hidden Fortress was a solid Kurosawa movie. Not one of his best, but still very good. Mifune was good as always, and the lady playing the princess was good too. The peasants were also funny in parts. Loved the mix of humor and action.

Also saw Dracula since penismightier twice mentioned how bad it was. I thought it was OK until the end. Not good, but OK. Lugosi was good as was the guy who played Renfield. However, I thought the ending was very weak. I've never read the book or saw any other version before, so I'm not sure if the ending of the book is any different, but it just seemed to be a tacked on happy ending. I wouldn't say it was terrible, but definately very below average.

My List:

Ikiru - I've only seen Kurosawa's samurai movies, but this one appers to be somewhat different.

Frankenstein - Now that I've seen Dracula, this seems to be the natural next pick.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula

quote:

Blazing Saddles - Keeping up with the comedy theme, I just watched the Mel Brooks & Dick Cavett special that HBO aired when I realized I have never seen this.

Never saw this, but this is one of those movies I'd like to see so I'll assign this one to you.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

It's a Wonderful Life Wow. I can see why this is such a Christmas classic. Very touching and sentimental. I was tearing up at the end when all of George's friends gave him the money. Jimmy Stewart was very good, and Lionel Barrymore was appropriately evil.

My List:
A Christmas Carol(1951) - This is the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge. I've heard it is as good as the George C. Scott version, which I liked.

Ikiru - I've only seen Kurosawa's samurai movies, but this one appers to be somewhat different.

Frankenstein - Now that I've seen Dracula, this seems to be the natural next pick.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life

quote:

#238 Sleuth (1972) - Don't know anything about it.

Neither do I, so tell me about it.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Lawrence of Arabia Really solid movie. The music was unbelievable and the cinematography was great. The desert location really became its own character in this movie. While I thought it was good, I think the second part of the movie wasn't as good as the first part (or maybe I was just getting tired by the end)

My List:
A Christmas Carol(1951) - This is the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge. I've heard it is as good as the George C. Scott version, which I liked.

Modern Times - I've never seen a silent movie.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia

PDMChubby, Never seen any of your movies, but random number generation picks Dogville

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Ikiru - Well made movie about a man dying of cancer and the impact he has with his city. Takashi Shimura was awesome as Watanabe. Bit slow at the end as you wait for his associates to realize he was responsible for the park and that he knew he was going to die.

My List:

High and Low - This was recommended as my next Kurosawa film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru

caiman, see The Big Sleep. It is a bit convoluted, but it's a lot of fun to watch. Bogey and Bacall are great together.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

High and Low - Very interesting movie. Loved the moral dilemma Gondo goes through here.The scenes in his living room were very well done. Mifune was great as always. Bit slow in the 2nd half but still very enjoyable.

My List:

Cars - This and Cars2 are the only Pixar movies that I haven't seen.

Kagemusha - My next Kurosawa film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low

Neutron Bandit, while I'm tempted to recommend Unforgiven since I love Eastwood, I have to select Citizen Kane. Orson Welles is great in that movie. Make sure to listen to Roger Ebert's commentary if you can.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Frankenstein - IT'S ALIVE!! Much better than Dracula. Karloff was pretty good as the monster. Loved the cinematography during the creation scene. Really impressive given the time it was made.

My List:

The Mummy - Working my way through the classic Universal horror movies.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein

Electronic06, My turn to recommend a Kurosawa film. Never saw Dersu Uzala before, but I haven't been disappointed by Kurosawa yet.

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 17, 2012

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

The Mummy - Best of the Universal monster movies that I have seen so far. Karloff was great. Lighting was very good, and very atmospheric.

My List:

The Phantom of the Opera - Next in my monster movie queue.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy

penismightier, Never saw any of your choices, but random number generator says The Last Emperor

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Give The Meaning of Life a shot. I think it's their funniest film.

This movie is not on my list. You need to pick one that is on my list.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Sorry, brain fart. Just realized what you meant.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Not as good as Holy Grail, but not bad either. Skits are hit or miss. Enjoyed Every Sperm is Sacred, Live Organ Transplant, Find the Fish, and Mr. Creosote(which kind of grew on me). Others were OK.

My List:

Modern Times - I've never seen a Chaplin movie.

Monty Python's The Life of Brian - Last Monty Python movie that I haven't seen..

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

electricsugar, see A Fistful of Dollars.

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 13, 2012

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Kagemusha - Kurosawa continues to impress me. Solid story with great visuals and music. The story of how an impersonator can assume another persons life was impressive.

Also saw Best In Show. Was as funny as I heard. Fred Willard was especially funny. A look in the lives of people who take dog shows a little too seriously.

My List:

Adaptation - Heard alot about this movie.

Modern Times - I've never seen a Chaplin movie.

Monty Python's The Life of Brian - Last Monty Python movie that I haven't seen..

Red Beard - My next Kurosawa film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show

TenSpadesBeTrump, haven't seen any on your list but I will pick Gandhi

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Modern Times - This was a pure joy to watch. I've never seen a Chaplin movie before. He was a very good physical comedian. Loved the song he sang at the end.

My List:

City Lights - Continuing the Chaplin movies.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times

TenSpadesBeTrump, haven't seen any on your list so it's time for random number generator. See The Freshman

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Fun movie, very quotable. Favorite line - Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch. Great scenery and the chemistry between Newman and Redford is great. Lots of fun.

My List:

Cool Hand Luke - Lets see another Newman film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

MariusLecter, the first movie I was recommended on this thread was Seven Samurai and it is still one of my favorites that I've seen in this thread. Watch it.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Red Beard. I have to say that as impressed as I am with Kurosawa'a samurai movies, sometimes his non-samurai movies are just as impressive. I thought Sahachi's story was a bit soap opera-ish, but by the time Otoyo's story was nearing completion, I was hooked. Mifune was great, as always. The cinematography was great, as always. Kurosawa sure knows how to tell a story.

My List:

Throne of Blood - My next Kurosawa film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance , Red Beard

kuddles, wow lots of good movies on your list. I had a hard time picking one, but I will go with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Saw Monty Python's Life of Brian. Very nice satire of religious believers. I am somewhat religious(I do try to go to church each week). But I believe this was a spot on account of some of the more mindless following of religious doctrine and symbolism. Brian really hit the nail on the head when he said that people should think for themselves and not blindly follow people. Not an insult to religious doctrine by itself, just the mindless following some of their followers of it. Graham Chapman was great as Brian.

Also saw Cars, which has been on my list forever and nobody was picking for me to watch. It was ... OK. Not a bad movie, but certainly not one of Pixar's best. No where near Wall-e, Ratatouie, or the Toy Story movies. The relationship between Lightning McQueen and Mater was touching at times. But the rest was kind of blah.

My List:

The Producers - All I now about it is it is a comedy and there is something called Springtime for Hitler. Sounds like fun.

Spirited Away - Never saw a Miyazaki film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars

Atheistdeals, Watch Fantasia. It is awesome.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Saw Cool Hand Luke. Paul Newman was awesome as Luke. I really got into the movie, and enjoyed it.

My List:

Time Bandits - Another Terry Gilliam film.

The Producers - All I now about it is it is a comedy and there is something called Springtime for Hitler. Sounds like fun.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke

Electronico6, Never seen any on your list, but I will pick The General.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

TenSpadesBeTrump, Raise the Red Lantern is one of those movies that will be added to my list someday. You get to see it first.

The Public Enemy. Very good movie. James Cagney was amazing in it. Nice cinematography. I also enjoyed the glimpse into the Prohibition era.

My List:

Time Bandits - Another Terry Gilliam film.

Little Caesar - Sticking with Pre-Code gangster films.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

aslan, I haven't seen any on your list, but Raging Bull sounds the most interesting to me.

Time Bandits was a very fun movie. I really am getting to like Terry Gilliam's directing style. Plenty of laugh out loud moments. Looking forward to watching this with my daughter.

My List:

Gone With The Wind - No, I haven't seen this film yet.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

TrixRabbi, I've never seen it, but I will give you Shane to watch.

Adaptation was a very fascinating movie. Nick Cage did a very good job as Charles Kaufman. A nice deconstruction of the screenwriting and adaptation process, with some laugh out loud moments. Loved the changes made in the adaptation as the movie was progressing.

Also saw The Producers which was also recommended to me. It was the 1968 movie that was on my list. Loved the audacity of making a Springtime for Hitler musical. Really very funny.

My List:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I know nothing about this movie.

Gone With The Wind - No, I haven't seen this film yet.

Caddyshack - This movie is referenced all the time, but I've never seen it.

The Phantom of the Opera - Next in my monster movie queue. This is the 1925 silent movie.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers