Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
As much as I love The Burmese Harp, go with the extended edition of The New World. It's everything that Avatar wasn't (which ruined the movie for me when I saw The New World two days before seeing Avatar). Even the cinematography blows Avatar way out of the water. Don't pass up The Burmese Harp, though, it's loving beautiful.

Don't bother unless you're watching the Extended Edition with The New World. It was butchered in editing and that's what got it bad reviews, I've seen nothing but praise for the restored edition.

I'm not posting Berlin Alexanderplatz. I've had it for two years or so and never got past part four, but work doesn't allow me enough time to watch it right now. Maybe when I'm fed up enough with Walmart to tell them to gently caress themselves and quit, but not right now.

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition.

The General - I love Buster Keaton, but I've never come across this.

Tokyo Story - I have never seen an Ozu film. I don't have an excuse for this one, I just never took the time to watch one.

Diary of a Country Priest - I've wanted to see this for years, but having to order this always put me off. There were just too many others films ahead of it.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - I know I'll love this, but the opportunity has never come up.

Jules and Jim - I saw the first ten minutes or so, but I wasn't in a movie-watching mood when I decided to see this and never really came back to it. It's a shame, because I love Truffaut.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster.

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that.

Minnie and Moskowitz - I've been intrigued by this for a while now, but I know almost nothing about it.

Play Time - I've never seen a Jacques Tati film and I really liked the clips I've seen of this, but there were other Criterion blurays ahead of this on my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Neotpravlennoye pismo My top rated film on Criticker.
I've never heard of this before and all of a sudden it's at 100 on my Criticker list. I suspect Kyle Loomis and FitFortDanga are responsible.

Still working on M. I really need to get Instant. Glad you liked The New World, I never expected it to be what it really was.

*edit*
I went and hosed up and it's a new page. Here's Peaceful Anarchy's post:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

SneakySneaks, you get to go watch Amelie.

Watched the extended cut of The New World and while it was long it was absolutely everything I would have hoped it would be. The images are stunning from start to finish and the story, while slow, is a very lyrical examination of love and human relationships. It's a real shame Malick has only made 4 films because he's got some serious talent.

Updated list:
The Decalogue: I know I'll love this, I've seen the first 4 episodes, but I want to watch it all in a relatively short timespan and keep putting it off.

Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those three are the only films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

Neotpravlennoye pismo My top rated film on Criticker.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

A Passage to India I love the three Lean epics I've seen, Lawrence, Bridge and Zhivago, but this one I've just never bothered to watch for no good reason other than it's almost 3 hours.

Yi-Yi All I know about this is that it's one of the highest regarded films of the past 10 years, it's Chinese and it's 3 hours long.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 6, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Actually, you could watch Aguirre right now and we all win. You watch a great movie and since it won't be on your next list we all get to see LesterGroans eat a hat.
Give in to the pressure.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Pretty sure he's making you watch The Godfather, not The 400 Blows, so he didn't even pick the greatest movie on your list :colbert:
Small typo.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

LesterGroans posted:

Okay, finally got around to watching Cinema Paradiso. I really was expecting to be underwhelmed, but it was beautiful. The imagery was gorgeous and the story itself just clicked with me for some reason. The most effective part was the emotions it stirred up in me, I couldn't watch it without trying to relate or reminisce. And the montage is stunning without being corny.

The Gloaming, I'm torn, you have so many good ones. It's a toss up between Aguirre and The Godfather, but I choose The Godfather for you. Also, watch Part II if you can also, it's the better movie imo

Anyway, revised list:

1.The Night of the Hunter - I really don't know why I haven't seen this yet, it appears to have everything I love in a movie, but I guess I've heard so much about it over the years I already "know" it.

2.8 1/2 - It's embarassing, I've just never gotten around to it.

3.The Wild Bunch - I've seen the very opening and bits and pieces of it on TV, all of it's been interesting though

4.Ikiru - I wish I had more Kurosawa under my belt, and this one's always sounded interesting to me

5.Blow-Up - again, probably haven't seen it because I know so much about it already

6.Cinema Paradiso - I tried finding it a few years ago, failed, and gave up. I haven't sought it out in a long time

7.Paris, Texas - I've just been underexposed to this movie and hadn't really heard much about it

8.Point Blank - Again, underexposure... a friend saw it and loved it a few months ago and it's been bugging me since

9.Mystic River - The actors intrigued me but nothing I heard about the story did it for me, plus I heard a lot of lukewarm reviews

10.Ghandi - Sorry, Ben Kingsley
A touch choice between The Wild Bunch and Ikiru (never thought I'd compare those two), but I'm you're going to go with Ikiru. Have fun nursing that punch in the gut.

Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition.

Tokyo Story - I have never seen an Ozu film. I don't have an excuse for this one, I just never took the time to watch one.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - I know I'll love this, but the opportunity has never come up.

Jules and Jim - I saw the first ten minutes or so, but I wasn't in a movie-watching mood when I decided to see this and never really came back to it. It's a shame, because I love Truffaut.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster.

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that. Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

Minnie and Moskowitz - I've been intrigued by this for a while now, but I know almost nothing about it.

Play Time - I've never seen a Jacques Tati film and I really liked the clips I've seen of this, but there were other Criterion blurays ahead of this on my list.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down.

High Noon - I pride myself on having seen a ton of Westerns, but for some reason I never took the time to watch this one. I'm thinking if this is chosen then I'm going to watch Rio Bravo right after it.

I've got a couple gimmes in there, bananas. Jump on in.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Honestly, don't even bother with the theatrical cut of The New World. The studio cut it down as if the plot was telling a story or something. Silly studio.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
My take on Star Wars isn't the information, there's nothing at all groundbreaking about it. It's all in the presentation, everything is so neat and tight and well-driven. It's my go-to example of tight plot structure.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Voodoofly posted:

Alright, after multiple people telling me to wait for the Extended Edition, I'm passing on The New World because Netflix only has the theatrical release.
The Bluray's around average Bluray price, but the DVD's maybe :10bux:

And damnit, Twin Cinema. I really need to get a copy of The Godfather 2 now. You need to watch some Singing in the Rain.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Does anybody even know how to get Neotpravlennoye pismo? Is it even on DVD? It seems like one of those things that shoots up to the top of the list because a bunch of Criticker users saw it as some festival and tier 10'd it.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I saw The Godfather Part II. It's nowhere near the original, but it still stands up on its own. Every moment that Robert De Niro is on screen is a joy. The juxtaposition of the two stories reveals the tragedy, but also works against the film's cohesion. Vito's story is tight, engaging, and well-written. Michael's is ambulatory and exploratory and at times plain boring. Overall, though, the film is fantastic - if unnecessarily long.

Jolo - if that is your real name - you're going to watch The Seven Samurai. Don't worry about the length.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition. It's nowhere near the original, but it still stands up on its own. Every moment that Robert De Niro is on screen is a joy. The juxtaposition of the two stories reveals the tragedy, but also works against the film's cohesion. Vito's story is tight, engaging, and well-written. Michael's is ambulatory and exploratory and at times plain boring. Overall, though, the film is fantastic - if unnecessarily long.

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that. Just saw M. Man, I thought I knew what it was about, but it's a tour de force. The lack of ambient noise was a bit jarring since I'm not quite used to early sound technology, but the lack of music was pitch perfect. The rough shod cinematography absolutely works in its favor. Pretty much everything from the office heist on is perfect.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down.

High Noon - I pride myself on having seen a ton of Westerns, but for some reason I never took the time to watch this one. I'm thinking if this is chosen then I'm going to watch Rio Bravo right after it.

Lonesome Dove - I've been wanting to watch this for ages and I just got the Bluray. I'm going to get to this sooner or later, but with my presently limited time the only movies I have time to watch are the ones in this thread.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 15, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

elendilmir posted:

Bodnoirbabe: You are hereby ordered to watch Rocky. I know that Stallone turned into a cartoon character later in his career, and indeed in this movie franchise, but the first Rocky is a great movie. And pay attention to the scores at the end.
You missed all of page 9.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I have City of Lost Children but I have to go to work in a loving hour. I broke and decided to watch Lonesome Dove today instead, I'll post my impressions with CoLC, but it's on my Criticker already.

*edit*

The Lucas posted:

...of 2 hours and 5 mins?
It's an admittedly long two hours and five minutes.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
penismightier, it's time for you to watch The Grand Illusion. It's Renoir's best and one of the most beautiful films I've seen.

I just finished City of Lost Children. It looked absolutely fantastic, the designers really pulled all the punches. Of course the acting was terrific, this was a Jeunet film after all. Dominique Pinon is my favorite Jeunet regular, so I was pretty excited that he got a ton of screen time here. Ron Perlman struck me as an awkward choice, but his face is certainly weird and awkward enough for him to land a male role with Jeunet. I'm not sure where this stands compared to Amelie, but I don't think it beats Micmacs.

I watched Lonesome Dove, too, because I just bought the drat thing. It's really good, but not in a way that makes it a literary Western. This is more of a television Western, in the spirit of shows like Bonanza and Gunsmoke and films like Tombstone. The true marvel of this isn't the production value or cinematography or narrative, it's that it can go on for six hours and not have a single unnecessary scene or wasted moment.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Godfather Part II - It's something I want to see, but I never got the Bluray Godfather set and I have a rule about not watching Godfather movies in standard definition. It's nowhere near the original, but it still stands up on its own. Every moment that Robert De Niro is on screen is a joy. The juxtaposition of the two stories reveals the tragedy, but also works against the film's cohesion. Vito's story is tight, engaging, and well-written. Michael's is ambulatory and exploratory and at times plain boring. Overall, though, the film is fantastic - if unnecessarily long.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down. It looked absolutely fantastic, the designers really pulled all the punches. Of course the acting was terrific, this was a Jeunet film after all. Dominique Pinon is my favorite Jeunet regular, so I was pretty excited that he got a ton of screen time here. Ron Perlman struck me as an awkward choice, but his face is certainly weird and awkward enough for him to land a male role with Jeunet. I'm not sure where this stands compared to Amelie, but I don't think it beats Micmacs.

Lonesome Dove - I've been wanting to watch this for ages and I just got the Bluray. I'm going to get to this sooner or later, but with my presently limited time the only movies I have time to watch are the ones in this thread. It's really good, but not in a way that makes it a literary Western. This is more of a television Western, in the spirit of shows like Bonanza and Gunsmoke and films like Tombstone. The true marvel of this isn't the production value or cinematography or narrative, it's that it can go on for six hours and not have a single unnecessary scene or wasted moment.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 20, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
How have so many people not seen It's a Wonderful Life? Clogproof Office, fix that poo poo.

Just coming off of Liberty Valance. I'm a bit mixed about this. First, John Ford knew how to use Jimmy Stewart in exactly the same way that Frank Capra did. However, he didn't seem to know what to do with John Wayne. His slave companion was the more interesting character, especially the subtle criticisms of racism presented throughout the film (and the one really obvious and patriotic one that I'm convinced Ford made fall flat). Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin were fantastic, but the serious mishandling of John Wayne's character and the completely useless Andy Devine frustrate me that I can't like this as much as The Searchers or Rio Bravo, which is a shame since postmodernist John Ford is usually very critical of modernist John Ford, and because this was the highest ranked Western on my Criticker. Bonus points for the doctor looking like a fist-fighting Abraham Lincoln.

Wolfgang Pauli's Shameful-Seens posted:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster. I'm a bit mixed about this. First, John Ford knew how to use Jimmy Stewart in exactly the same way that Frank Capra did. However, he didn't seem to know what to do with John Wayne. His slave companion was the more interesting character, especially the subtle criticisms of racism presented throughout the film (and the one really obvious and patriotic one that I'm convinced Ford made fall flat). Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin were fantastic, but the serious mishandling of John Wayne's character and the completely useless Andy Devine frustrate me that I can't like this as much as The Searchers or Rio Bravo, which is a shame since postmodernist John Ford is usually very critical of modernist John Ford, and because this was the highest ranked Western on my Criticker. Bonus points for the doctor looking like a fist-fighting Abraham Lincoln.

The City of Lost Children - I loved Amelie and Micmacs and my Jeunet friend mentions this all the time (same friend as with M), but I guess I just never had the inclination to track this one down. It looked absolutely fantastic, the designers really pulled all the punches. Of course the acting was terrific, this was a Jeunet film after all. Dominique Pinon is my favorite Jeunet regular, so I was pretty excited that he got a ton of screen time here. Ron Perlman struck me as an awkward choice, but his face is certainly weird and awkward enough for him to land a male role with Jeunet. I'm not sure where this stands compared to Amelie, but I don't think it beats Micmacs.

Lonesome Dove - I've been wanting to watch this for ages and I just got the Bluray. I'm going to get to this sooner or later, but with my presently limited time the only movies I have time to watch are the ones in this thread. It's really good, but not in a way that makes it a literary Western. This is more of a television Western, in the spirit of shows like Bonanza and Gunsmoke and films like Tombstone. The true marvel of this isn't the production value or cinematography or narrative, it's that it can go on for six hours and not have a single unnecessary scene or wasted moment.

Wolfgang Pauli's Shameful List posted:

High and Low - I'm all over Kurosawa, but I've never taken the time to watch one of his non-historic films. This is the one that always interested me the most.

Princess Mononoke - I've never seen a Miyazaki film, though not for lack of trying. Ultimately, I chose to skip the Miyazaki movie marathon my friends held so I could spend the day in bed with my girlfriend.

Die Hard - This is the only entry in the Die Hard trilogy that I can't really remember well enough to have an opinion about.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 21, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
*edit*
Nevermind, misread the post.

I think next round I'm going to do only Arnold Schwarzenegger films.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Big Red One Apparently it's a pretty well regarded war movie.
This is one hell of a movie. Talks with Fuller about it started in the 50s and even as a 1980 release it was doing things twenty years before its time. My one big complaint is the editing. An enormous amount of material was cut from this. Warner Bros restored 49 minutes of it, so make sure this is the one you're watching. It probably won't seem too groundbreaking in the wake of Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, but this is the film that allowed those to be made.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Just finished Die Hard. I barely remembered anything from when I saw this years ago, and the later entries into the series definitely missed the point of the film. Die Hard is so well-informed, comic, and playful that it sets the bar for all other action films after it. It knows the conventions and tropes and doesn't just stay within the confines of its genre, it actively engages them in the same type of conversation that other genres do. I've rarely seen a film so seething in satire and comedy that takes itself this seriously, and it works marvelously.

Hellbunny, you're going to see Blade Runner. Make sure you choose the right version. Anything with voice-over narration is not the right version.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I've had this for just about a year and never bothered watching it. I'm a monster. I'm a bit mixed about this. First, John Ford knew how to use Jimmy Stewart in exactly the same way that Frank Capra did. However, he didn't seem to know what to do with John Wayne. His slave companion was the more interesting character, especially the subtle criticisms of racism presented throughout the film (and the one really obvious and patriotic one that I'm convinced Ford made fall flat). Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin were fantastic, but the serious mishandling of John Wayne's character and the completely useless Andy Devine frustrate me that I can't like this as much as The Searchers or Rio Bravo, which is a shame since postmodernist John Ford is usually very critical of modernist John Ford, and because this was the highest ranked Western on my Criticker. Bonus points for the doctor looking like a fist-fighting Abraham Lincoln.

Die Hard - This is the only entry in the Die Hard trilogy that I can't really remember well enough to have an opinion about.I barely remembered anything from when I saw this years ago, and the later entries into the series definitely missed the point of the film. Die Hard is so well-informed, comic, and playful that it sets the bar for all other action films after it. It knows the conventions and tropes and doesn't just stay within the confines of its genre, it actively engages them in the same type of conversation that other genres do. I've rarely seen a film so seething in satire and comedy that takes itself this seriously, and it works marvelously.

Here are my Arnold picks. I have the same reasoning for all of these, save one, in that I either never bothered tracking these down or saw them at so young an age that I can't remember a single thing about them. The one exception is True Lies. I played the poo poo out of the Super Nintendo game and saw the movie maybe twice when I was 10 or so, but I was 10 and it's True Lies, so I didn't get any of it.

The Arnold List:
Predator
Total Recall
True Lies
Conan the Barbarian
Last Action Hero
Commando
Kindergarten Cop
Raw Deal
Collateral Damage
The 6th Day
Eraser

I probably won't pick this list in sequence, but I'll be running this list more than once.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 23, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Arkane posted:

I watched my recommendation, It's a Wonderful Life, and loved it. Far from being pure 'message' fluff, George felt like a real, relatable character because he was so conflicted about his future/resistant to his fate. That little hesitation in Potter's office was a great scene. Even the whole angels subplot part didn't come across as silly because it was so simple.

Updated list:

It's a Wonderful Life
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance would be a good replacement after you see Mr. Smith. It's a fitting conclusion to Jimmy Stewart's young idealist character.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
mikhail, go watch Fitzcarraldo. This is one film I prefer to watch dubbed, for the same reasons that I watch Leone films dubbed. It just seems like it's part of the experience.

Watched Predator. There were some very good shots, notably the Predator lighting up the jungle and the helicopter landing and one magnificently squandered shot of the slide over the cliff and into the water that you see for a fraction of a second. Other than that, I really don't see the appeal of this. There were small bursts of excitement and interest amidst a mostly dull drudge, but that's it. I did enjoy the team un-ironically leveling the entire camp when they're going in to rescue hostages.

Die Hard - This is the only entry in the Die Hard trilogy that I can't really remember well enough to have an opinion about.I barely remembered anything from when I saw this years ago, and the later entries into the series definitely missed the point of the film. Die Hard is so well-informed, comic, and playful that it sets the bar for all other action films after it. It knows the conventions and tropes and doesn't just stay within the confines of its genre, it actively engages them in the same type of conversation that other genres do. I've rarely seen a film so seething in satire and comedy that takes itself this seriously, and it works marvelously.

Predator - I have the same reasoning for all of [the Arnold picks], save one, in that I either never bothered tracking these down or saw them at so young an age that I can't remember a single thing about them. There were some very good shots, notably the Predator lighting up the jungle and the helicopter landing and one magnificently squandered shot of the slide over the cliff and into the water that you see for a fraction of a second. Other than that, I really don't see the appeal of this. There were small bursts of excitement and interest amidst a mostly dull drudge, but that's it. I did enjoy the team un-ironically leveling the entire camp when they're going in to rescue hostages.

Here are my Arnold picks. I have the same reasoning for all of these, save one, in that I either never bothered tracking these down or saw them at so young an age that I can't remember a single thing about them. The one exception is True Lies. I played the poo poo out of the Super Nintendo game and saw the movie maybe twice when I was 10 or so, but I was 10 and it's True Lies, so I didn't get any of it.

The Arnold List:
Predator
Total Recall
True Lies
Conan the Barbarian
Last Action Hero
Commando
Raw Deal
Collateral Damage
The 6th Day

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 25, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Peaceful, you're a rotten fucker for making me choose between Ballad of a Soldier and The Burmese Harp. Ballad of a Soldier it is. It's stunning and beautiful on every level, every god drat level. And I'm such a sucker for Russian train stories. No matter how many I watch or read, they never get old.

Just watched True Lies. It's a really good parody of action films, but while it's funnier and more of an adventure than Die Hard, it's not as well made or well informed. The first act is pitch perfect, it comes out of the gate as a buddy cop spy action parody and it comes out running. Arnold does what he does best and is a great straight man to a surprisingly entertaining Tom Arnold. His loss is unfortunately very noticeable during the second act, however, and by the third the film slips into the kind of movie it set out to parody. It's heterogeneous in a bad way, but it's still fun and sly and goes every which way. (My favorite aspect is the flat and cheesy way the Arab terrorists are played up and countered by the cool Arab good guy)

Predator - I have the same reasoning for all of [the Arnold picks], save one, in that I either never bothered tracking these down or saw them at so young an age that I can't remember a single thing about them. There were some very good shots, notably the Predator lighting up the jungle and the helicopter landing and one magnificently squandered shot of the slide over the cliff and into the water that you see for a fraction of a second. Other than that, I really don't see the appeal of this. There were small bursts of excitement and interest amidst a mostly dull drudge, but that's it. I did enjoy the team un-ironically leveling the entire camp when they're going in to rescue hostages.

True Lies - Here are my Arnold picks. I have the same reasoning for all of these, save one, in that I either never bothered tracking these down or saw them at so young an age that I can't remember a single thing about them. The one exception is True Lies. I played the poo poo out of the Super Nintendo game and saw the movie maybe twice when I was 10 or so, but I was 10 and it's True Lies, so I didn't get any of it. It's a really good parody of action films, but while it's funnier and more of an adventure than Die Hard, it's not as well made or well informed. The first act is pitch perfect, it comes out of the gate as a buddy cop spy action parody and it comes out running. Arnold does what he does best and is a great straight man to a surprisingly entertaining Tom Arnold. His loss is unfortunately very noticeable during the second act, however, and by the third the film slips into the kind of movie it set out to parody. It's heterogeneous in a bad way, but it's still fun and sly and goes every which way. (My favorite aspect is the flat and cheesy way the Arab terrorists are played up and countered by the cool Arab good guy)

Wolfgang Pauli's Shameful List posted:

High and Low - I'm all over Kurosawa, but I've never taken the time to watch one of his non-historic films. This is the one that always interested me the most.

Princess Mononoke - I've never seen a Miyazaki film, though not for lack of trying. Ultimately, I chose to skip the Miyazaki movie marathon my friends held so I could spend the day in bed with my girlfriend.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 27, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Are Russian train stories a genre?
They're kind of like road movies, except set on trains. I've read more of them than I've seen. My favorite is a Margarita Sharapova story in Nine of Russia's Foremost Women Writers ("ComFuture"), but that collection is so hard to track down that I had to borrow a professor's copy for my Russian lit class. Amazon rarely ever stocks it. If I ever get to make an adventure film, it's going to be adapted from that.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I don't think watching Andrei Rublev because someone said you should see it is the best approach to that film. It's a beast and makes no pretensions about it. That's just how Tarkovsky does business. The "I can't tell characters apart because they have beards" argument is pretty unfounded, though.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why was it frustrating? I'll watch My Life as a Dog tomorrow.
Frustrating in the same way as The Battle of Algiers or Murder on a Sunday Morning?

*edit*
Oh hey, a second page. Well, I'm not watching Jules and Jim until morning, but Hunt for Red October is gonna run wild on you when I do.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Vagabundo posted:

I do admit I fell into that trap as well. I guess Ethan does gain some redemption at the end when he chooses not to kill his niece who was "defiled" by an Indian. All throughout it, I was really put off and almost overwhelmed by what was being stated.
I wouldn't call that redemption. More of complete physical exhaustion and mental collapse. The man's been chasing after his niece for years and just slaughtered a village, he's tired and teeming with bloodlust and now he has to bring himself to murder his niece. He breaks, and that's why she lives. The aspect of his character that I find most interesting is that he's a Confederate deserter. Most Westerns portray this as a kind of noble and heroic cause, but here it just establishes him as a racist, a man who knows how to survive, and a man who knows how to kill. After that, it's never mentioned again.

gently caress it, this isn't the thread.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nroo posted:

For The New World, is the theatrical or 3 hour extended cut preferred?
The Extended Cut. The theatrical cut removes the entire point of watching the film.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

JayBulworth posted:

Despite being a bit of a nerd, I've never seen:

The Original Star Wars Trilogy - I feel like I've seen enough of them that I get the point of the story.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Went to the theater for each film. Fell asleep half way through for each film.

Every single Star Trek movie except for the last one - The only Star Trek franchise I ever followed was Deep Space 9 and that cast never got a movie.
You're doing it wrong. Choose a movie for that fag boy up there.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
poo poo, PA, that one only took four hours. Is that a record for you?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

dotCommunism posted:

This is pretty much the truest statement ever. I think I read some Godard remark about how he hated Ophuls, plus he called cinema truth (at 24 fps or whatever). He's a really good director, but yeah he definitely seems like a huge dick. I had an ex who used to read a big Godard book and loved the guy.
When Godard tries to make a point about something he drives me up the loving wall, but I can't stay away from him because he's a loving genius of postmodern spectacle. The blue-white-red outfit Marianne had on the boat in Pierrot le Fou is the single greatest costume design I've ever seen and I love him for it.

And his quote about cinema being truth 24 times per second is idiotic. There's even an entire film dedicated to showing how idiotic a statement it is (I'm pretty sure it's in the Recommendation thread, too).

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 16, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Man, I need to watch Jules and Jim. I have the god drat thing, but I just can't find the motivation to watch it when I have so little time to myself. Luckily I'm leaving my job on Monday, so I'll have some time before the Fall semester begins. It's gonna suck trying to find the post that my list is in after all this time.

Now vote this thread a five, you heathens.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I think I'm going to take a reasonable mulligan since it's been half a year since I've posted in this thread. Space Cooter... if you can find a Bluray copy of The Godfather or an HD stream or something, watch that. If you can't, watch Amelie.

I just got Instant and have spent the last few hours rating the poo poo out of everything and trying to catch my Instant account up to my Criticker one. There were a number of movies that kept popping up that I decided to put up here. Some are shameful, some intriguing.

Valhalla Rising - I really haven't heard anything about this. I saw a comparison to Antichrist somewhere.
Mongol - I wrote this off years ago, but apparently it's pretty good.
A Prophet - I don't think I've heard a harsh word about this, but I've really never had mood and opportunity coincide to make me watch this (I spent a year without watching my Criterion of Seven Samurai because I didn't want to gently caress up my first impression)
Ken Burns's The War - I got like halfway through the first episode but had to stop. It didn't put me to sleep, but I was still way too tired to watch a two hour talking head documentary.
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Daniel Day Lewis is in this. It's about adultery or something. That's all I know.
Chop Shop - I've been getting really into documentaries lately.
Food Inc
Time Bandits - The list of Terry Gilliam movies I've seen is embarrassingly short.
Frontline's Behind Taliban Lines
Exit Through the Gift Shop

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
FFD, I was considering Lion King, but instead I want you to watch Into the Wild. Approach it in the same way that you would approach Grizzly Man.

Exit Through the Gift Shop was fantastic and, like you said, totally not what I was expecting. I think Banksy's dealer summarizes the entire film pretty well with "I don't know who the joke's on. I don't even know if it is a joke." I can't really tell if it's a hoax or not, and I don't think it really matters.

What I said on Criticker about it: It may be a hoax, but does it really matter? This film is so deeply wrapped in meta-authenticity and critique of the business that drives postmodern art that it hardly matters whether MBW is real, a hoax, or if the hoax itself is a hoax.

I watched the Frontline doc on the side, so I'm striking that from the list.

Valhalla Rising - I really haven't heard anything about this. I saw a comparison to Antichrist somewhere.
A Prophet - I don't think I've heard a harsh word about this, but I've really never had mood and opportunity coincide to make me watch this (I spent a year without watching my Criterion of Seven Samurai because I didn't want to gently caress up my first impression)
Ken Burns's The War - I got like halfway through the first episode but had to stop. It didn't put me to sleep, but I was still way too tired to watch a two hour talking head documentary.
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Daniel Day Lewis is in this. It's about adultery or something. That's all I know.
Chop Shop
Food Inc - I've been getting really into documentaries lately.
Time Bandits - The list of Terry Gilliam movies I've seen is embarrassingly short.
Man on Wire
The Thin Blue Line

This is all the poo poo I've watched so far: The Godfather Part II, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, M, The City of Lost Children, Lonesome Dove, Die Hard, Predator, True Lies, Exit Through the Gift Shop

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 2, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Just finished Man on Wire. It felt very similar to My Dinner with Andre, which I guess the director also felt since he used the same music. The relationship between Phillipe and Jean-Louis is the same sort of dialectical construction of something great. The memoir nature reinforced that, and I think that sentimental presentation removed some of the discussion about art. It's all very mystical and spiritual throughout the film, but I guess that's the way the people involved meant this to be treated. It's a reflection of how surprisingly serene the walk itself was.

Chubby, watch Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Chop Shop
Food Inc - I've been getting really into documentaries lately.
Beautiful Losers
The Thin Blue Line

This is all the poo poo I've watched so far: The Godfather Part II, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, M, The City of Lost Children, Lonesome Dove, Die Hard, Predator, True Lies, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Man on Wire

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 3, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FitFortDanga posted:

From what I recall, Man on Wire stole almost all of its music from the Michael Nyman scores for various Peter Greenaway films. The only music I can recall from My Dinner With Andre is Satie's "Gymnopedie", which appears in a lot of movies.
The scenes it appeared in seemed very similar and I thought it was being used towards the same ends. Independent of the music I think they're rather similar films, which is high praise from me since My Dinner with Andre lead me to a career in theatre.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Before I go on my uninformed hyperboled diatribe, I'll make my pick for you, Kull. Honestly, any pick on your list will be a treat. Shortlist is the Renoir (how dare you make me choose between the two best films ever made), Rashomon, and Stroszek (if you're not prepared for Herzog's fictional work... well, gently caress, you're in for a ride. A weird one). I think, though, that I'm going to have to pick The Rules of the Game. The Grand Illusion is better, but I think that Rules is a better introduction to that brand of poetic realism.

I was very skeptical going into Food Inc because it was dealing with something very close to me at the moment: the poetics of revolution. I figured that this was one of a number of green movement documentaries that sought to revolutionize agribusiness through film... but not quite understanding just how the gently caress to do that. Liberal populist documentaries usually fall into the ideologue trap, they play on our emotions in order to win our sympathies, but by never encouraging critical thought they fail to gain a sincere resonance and build supporters capable of enacting change. Food Inc didn't give a poo poo about your sympathy, it demanded action... But I still don't think it accomplished it's goal of inciting action. It isn't perfect, but I was refreshingly surprised by the capacity for independent and critical thought it encouraged in me. Once the small independent farmer dude, I never caught his name, was introduced, I regularly paused the film to jot down notes and ideas and document my perception of the film.

These were my notes:
*Corporate agri-business being allowed to make consequence-free decisions concerning agricultural landlordism, E Coli/disease/sanitation, diabetes/obesity/affects of quality upon consumers, economic fallout from competition in developing countries, etc.
*I keep raising the question of "What will be the consequences of smaller independent agri production?" -- The idea of lowered carrying capacity comes to mind, but there's no reason to think that technology will not keep pace with demand or allow systemic famine. There's nothing inherently unethical about corn production in and of itself, just the ends of its use by agribusiness. Corn, genetically modified corn in particular, is being tendered as a solution to third world famine and underproduction, and will probably improve local and regional food markets (which still won't be able to compete, since imported food is still part of that market). -- I'm just not convinced that popular revolution will have the power necessary to make these changes, and people may be too easily satisfied. It was Teddy Roosevelt and Progressive politicians that took down trusts to win votes, popular will only had a small and indirect effect. Labor unions do a good that is only ephemeral, they're easily manipulated in the long term and this has largely pacified them in the industries that require them. -- But what about Big Tobacco?
*The Stonyfield guy made some progress environmentally, yeah, but the social progress is left unmarked. Actually, it serves to reinforce it on the retail level. Walmart still treats its workers like poo poo and still allows the option to buy dirt cheap poo poo that will give you heart disease.
*The problem of genetically modified soybeans presented is a problem stemming from privatized agribusiness and unreformed patent law, not scientific ethics or agricultural technology.
*I had no idea about veggie libel laws. That poo poo is crazy.

My List:
Chop Shop
Sweetgrass - I've been getting really into documentaries lately. Netflix thinks that this is the best choice from both Science docs and Cultural docs.
Beautiful Losers
The Thin Blue Line - Surprised I haven't seen this. I mean, I've seen Murder on a Sunday Morning and thought it was great, and I still haven't bothered with this.

This is all the poo poo I've watched so far: The Godfather Part II, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, M, The City of Lost Children, Lonesome Dove, Die Hard, Predator, True Lies, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Man on Wire, Food Inc.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

TrixRabbi posted:

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.
I don't know if I'll get the next pick or not, but you have to drink every time you see David Bowie's bulge. Them's the rules. :colbert: