Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Jeff Wiiver, you get Seven just because I love the gently caress out of that movie, oh and 8 1/2 is back up on Watch Instantly.

Anyway, my list.

La Strada - Been in my NetFlix Watch Instantly queue forever

Barry Lyndon - Only haven't seen this because of the length, my general dislike for later Kubrick and people have said it's kinda boring.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - No idea why I haven't seen this yet, probably just laziness on my part.

and these are just ones that I haven't seen that have the most top lists entries at icheckmovies...

Andrey Rublyov
Solaris
Fanny and Alexander
Ikiru
Stalker
Tokyo Story
Cabaret

Sorry, nothing really to say to these except I have not seen a whole lot of foreign films and Cabaret just seems stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

TonTon, time for a little Holiday cheer in your life, go watch It's a Wonderful Life.

Just finished Tokyo Story, took me a bit to really get into it but once I did, I liked it quite a bit. Kinda depressing and I swear I wanted to smack their daughter around every time she was on screen. The ending isn't exactly upbeat either but still, a good movie.

Updated list...

La Strada
Barry Lyndon
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Andrei Rublev
Solaris
Fanny and Alexander
Ikiru
Stalker
Cabaret
Grand Illusion

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

Oh god why did I list a movie that's 174 minutes long? I have the attention span of a gnat. I max out at like 75 minutes.

You got off easy, I listed one that was 312 minutes (loving TV Versions), I'll be getting to Fanny and Alexander this weekend but still, drat you whoever told me to watch it (too lazy to go back and check).

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

TwinCinema, go watch Casablanca already.

Just finished Fanny and Alexander and loving loved it. It had two things going against it before I even began the movie, it's length and it's director who I know is loved around here but I just have never been able to get into, this changed that. I'm aware this movie has been praised up and down around here so I'll just second every positive thing anyone here has said about it.

La Strada
Barry Lyndon
Andrei Rublev
Solaris
Ikiru
Stalker
Cabaret
Grand Illusion
Wings of Desire

Knocked off: Tokyo Story, Fanny and Alexander

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

OH MY GOD BEN HUR IS SO LONG

It loving flies by though, it really is an enjoyable movie.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I feel ashamed I still haven't see Wagon Master yet, I should get on that.

And to whoever told me to watch Barry Lyndon, I'll be getting to it tomorrow or Saturday.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

mikewozere, have fun with The Magnificent Seven.

Finally watched Barry Lyndon afer almost three months, better than I expected even though it dragged at parts. I promise not to take this long again.

La Strada
Andrei Rublev
Solaris
Ikiru
Stalker
Cabaret
Grand Illusion
Wings of Desire
Open City

Knocked off: Tokyo Story, Fanny and Alexander, Barry Lyndon

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Bodnoirbabe, enjoy the hell out of The Seven Samurai, I know almost everyone else has.

Decided to start this up again, gonna start over since I'm too lazy to go back and find where I left off. Plus I'm pretty sure I've seen most of the movies on my original list anyway.

And got these the same way as before, just did the top ten movies I haven't seen on icheckmovies that have the most entries...

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Love The Archers, just haven't gotten around to this one yet.

Great Expectations - Not a big Dickens fan but whatever.

L'avventura - Just too lazy to deal with foreign movies on my own

Children of Paradise - See Above

The Leopard - BURT

Mr. Hulot's Holiday - Everyone seems to love this one

The English Patient - One of the four remaining Best Picture winners I have yet to see.

Three Colors: Red - Once again, me and foreign movies..also, I haven't seen the second in this trilogy, if I should, just recommend that one.

The Wings of Desire - Got nothing

Rome, Open City - Me, Foreign movies again

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

You get The Thing from Another World, knees of putty.

Liked Wings of Desire, some parts I almost lost interest, mostly when the angels would listen in on the boring ramblings of random people but the stuff towards the end made up for it and I loved everything with Peter Falk, wish there had been more with him actually.

Updated list!

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Love The Archers, just haven't gotten around to this one yet.

The Leopard - BURT

The English Patient - One of the four remaining Best Picture winners I have yet to see.

Three Colors: Red - Once again, me and foreign movies..also, I haven't seen the second in this trilogy, if I should, just recommend that one.

NEW ADDITION: Play Time - More Tati

Seen: Wings of Desire-8/10

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Electronico6, you get M.

As for The English Patient, I agree with Elaine.

Updated list!

The Leopard - BURT

Play Time - More Tati

NEW ADDITION: Fantasia - Never looked like something I'd really like so I never bothered.

Seen: Wings of Desire-8/10, The English Patient-3/10

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Watch what you say about Tombstone, man.

But I'm with you both on Raging Bull, suffers from the same thing a lot of Biopics do, one great performance surrounded by just an okay movie.

And yeah, sometimes movies just don't click with people, like me and almost every foreign movie these guys love (Especially Bergman, his stuff is a great cure for insomnia).

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

You're gonna watch Sullivan's Travels, TenSpadesBeTrump.

Liked Children of Paradise a lot more than I thought I would. The first part was kinda eh but I really enjoyed part 2. Didn't get the appeal of Garance either but to each their own.

Updated list!

The Leopard - BURT

Play Time - More Tati

Fantasia - Never looked like something I'd really like so I never bothered.

NEW ADDITION: Yi Yi - Never even heard of this one.

Seen: Wings of Desire-8/10, The English Patient-3/10, Children of Paradise-7/10

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Third time's a charm, I'll try and stick with it this time.

Ratedargh, you get City Lights, one of Chaplin's best.

As for my list, same as the last two times, the top ten unchecked entries on ICM...

1. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Dig The Archers and from what I've read, this one is pretty well liked by everyone.

2. Three Colors: Red - I've seen the first and didn't hate it so that's something.

3. Rome: Open City - Only seen two Rossellini films

4. L'avventura - Foreign movies are gonna be all over this list.

5. Greed - gently caress you to whoever makes me watch this in advance, 4 loving hours.

6. Playtime - Liked the other two Tati films I've seen.

7. Yiyi - I know nothing about this, too lazy to look it up right now.

8. L'Atalente - Also know nothing about it

9. Z - Looks good

10. Festen - I don't think I've seen a single bad thing said about this.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

Watch it in order, man. White's the weak link, but it's a very good movie in its own right and an important part of the larger message.

Will do, just put it at the top of my queue.

Chili, watch Predator because it's loving awesome.

Liked Z. Loved Marcel Bozzuffi whenever he was on screen and that ending was so over the top I had to laugh.

1. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Dig The Archers and from what I've read, this one is pretty well liked by everyone.

2. Three Colors: Red - I've seen the first and didn't hate it so that's something.

5. Greed - gently caress you to whoever makes me watch this in advance, 4 loving hours.

9. NEW: Faust - No idea how this one escaped me for this long.

10. Festen - I don't think I've seen a single bad thing said about this.

SEEN: Z-7/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

BIZORT, you're getting The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and if you don't like it, people will judge you.

The Celebration was really good, not much to say that hasn't been said already really.

9. Faust - No idea how this one escaped me for this long.

10. NEW: Ugetsu - I can't wait to finish off these Foreign films.

SEEN: Z-7/10, The Celebration-8/10