Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TonTon
May 1, 2008
Bad Movie Knight, I choose Strangers on a Train for you. It was my first Hitchcock, I was 6 years old, and I still remember parts of it vividly. I can't remember much of my childhood, but I remember that movie like I saw it yesterday. also i haven't seen or heard of most of those other movies :v:

1. Seven Samurai

I've been meaning to watch this for years. I even started watching it - twice - but had to shut it off and go to bed the first time, and fell asleep the second. :heh:

2. Casablanca

I don't know - we used to have this on VHS, and it's one of my dad's favourite movies, but the one time I began watching it, I immediately managed to pull out my last baby tooth and never started it again.

3. Lawrence of Arabia

Got as far as the opening scene with this one, got a phone call from my friend, and decided to go biking in the park.

4. The Exorcist

I'm not a fan of horror in general, though I'm starting to warm up to it. I don't even really know anything about it, aside from there being a little girl who swears a lot and vomits and turns her head all the way around.

5. Wall-E

I love Pixar, I love animation, but I passed over this one because I don't like robots. Now I'm hearing that this is hailed as a modern classic - and I'm only missing this and Cars to complete my Pixar repertoire.

6. It's A Wonderful Life

I have no idea how I missed this one. I love Jimmy Stewart, and it's on every year around Christmas, but I've always passed over it for some reason. I know the premise and I've seen the parodies (including a Rugrats version from the 90s), so I'm also half-worried it'll feel overhyped and underwhelming when I watch it.

7. Misery

I love Stephen King, and this is one of my favourite books of his. I caught the tail-end of this on TV once, and the guy they chose to play the author fits my mental image of him. I just never got around to renting it.

8. Breakfast at Tiffany's

I've never seen an Audrey Hepburn movie, and I've heard this is a good place to start. I only know the name of the main character, and nothing else about the film, other than that it's a classic.

9. Silence of the Lambs

I'm fascinated by serial killers and have long heard of how amazing this movie is, and have seen it oft-quoted and referenced all over the internet and on television. I don't know what's holding me back here.

TonTon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TonTon
May 1, 2008
I don't know any of your films, Peaceful Anarchy :( So I say Lola Monte, because it seems like you were leaning that way anyway. I hope it's good!

Holy cow. I just finished up Wall-E, and it just blew me away. I was not expecting something as compelling as that, let me say. It's a very different tone from a Pixar's other stuff, but it's still as amazing as any of their other films. It's by turns amusing and touching, and I really have to say, the characterization is just fantastic. Wall-E and Eve are both completely unique individuals, but my favourite character was definitely the Captain.

He's obviously a lot smarter than he's first made out to be, but until Eve's return, he's trapped by the constructs he grew up in, and all it took was that one little push - a seed planted in his head, I suppose - to make him realize how much there is out there for him to learn and discover.

The soundtrack is also phenomenal okay gently caress it everything was phenomenal. The art direction, the editting, the music, the voice acting.

quote:

1. Seven Samurai

I've been meaning to watch this for years. I even started watching it - twice - but had to shut it off and go to bed the first time, and fell asleep the second. :heh:

2. Casablanca

I don't know - we used to have this on VHS, and it's one of my dad's favourite movies, but the one time I began watching it, I immediately managed to pull out my last baby tooth and never started it again.

3. Lawrence of Arabia

Got as far as the opening scene with this one, got a phone call from my friend, and decided to go biking in the park.

4. The Exorcist

I'm not a fan of horror in general, though I'm starting to warm up to it. I don't even really know anything about it, aside from there being a little girl who swears a lot and vomits and turns her head all the way around.

5. Wall-E

5. The Godfather

The only excuse I can give for this is that my mother hates this movie, and because she's basically Supreme Dictator of The Television, I never got to see it.

6. It's A Wonderful Life

I have no idea how I missed this one. I love Jimmy Stewart, and it's on every year around Christmas, but I've always passed over it for some reason. I know the premise and I've seen the parodies (including a Rugrats version from the 90s), so I'm also half-worried it'll feel overhyped and underwhelming when I watch it.

7. Misery

I love Stephen King, and this is one of my favourite books of his. I caught the tail-end of this on TV once, and the guy they chose to play the author fits my mental image of him. I just never got around to renting it.

I've never seen an Audrey Hepburn movie, and I've heard this is a good place to start. I only know the name of the main character, and nothing else about the film, other than that it's a classic.

9. Silence of the Lambs

I'm fascinated by serial killers and have long heard of how amazing this movie is, and have seen it oft-quoted and referenced all over the internet and on television. I don't know what's holding me back here.

TonTon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 3, 2010

TonTon
May 1, 2008
Kyle Hyde, watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm definitely not a fan of Jack Nicholson, but this is definitely one of my absolute favourite movies of all time. By turns gutwrenching and hilarious, it isn't afraid to pull any punches or blunt its message. It's also fun to see a very young Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, and li'l baby Brad Dourif. :3: And it looks amazing on Bluray, if you have one!

I just finished Silence of the Lambs. My god, I am sorry I didn't see it sooner - not only is Anthony Hopkins disturbingly sultry as Lecter, but Jodie Foster plays a powerful female lead against him. She's as compelling and as strong a character as he is, although I can see why he captured the public psyche. As for Buffalo Bill, I found him pitiable despite his crimes, and I can definitely see the influence Ed Gein had on his profile. I have to ask, though; in the scene where Lecter fakes being the mutilated cop to escape (which blew my mind; totally wasn't expecting that), wouldn't having a grand mal seizure gently caress his plans up? Or did he just fake it?

Fixed list:

quote:

1. Seven Samurai

2. Casablanca

3. Lawrence of Arabia

4. The Exorcist

5. Wall-E

5. The Godfather

The only excuse I can give for this is that my mother hates this movie, and because she's basically Supreme Dictator of The Television, I never got to see it.

6. It's A Wonderful Life

7. Misery

9. Silence of the Lambs

9. There Will Be Blood

I don't know anything about it, but I love the poster. Something about oil tycoons?