Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

M - Nope. I was supposed to watch this with a friend for her Film class, but she watched it without me and I never thought to get it from my school's library after that.

More people need to see this, so I say go for it. German expressionism rules.

My list:
1 The Seventh Seal, or any other movie by Bergman for that matter Really, I have no excuse. I'm a swedish film nerd for christ sake, Bergman should be my god!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 12 Angry Men Heard much about this one, dunno why I haven't seen it.

5 Taxi Driver Was about to see this, but had to move and the dvd is lost now :(

6 Dr. Strangelove Seems pretty cool and Iconic, Impossible to find though.

7 Jackie Brown I am all over Tarantinos dick, need to see this now.

8 Anything by Takashi Miike execpt Ichi the Killer and Sukiyaki Western Django He's a japanese Tarantino from what I've seen, so naturally I'm all over him. But I'm lazy, so I've only seen two of his movies so far.

9 Cidade de Deus (City of god... I think?) Again, I had this on DVD but I lost it when I moved. Damm shame.

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

In what way is this impossible to find?

No video store has it , as far as I know. Gonna have to go online for it. Which is not really hard at all,It just takes some effort.

The Machine posted:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
If I have seen this film in it's entirety, I don't remember really anything about it. It's beyond shameful that I haven't seen it... it's pathetic. :gonk:

This one's way too good to miss.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Well, I just finished Dr strange love. Absolutely amazing. One of the funniest and at the same time most deeply tragic movies I've ever seen.

Updated list:
My list:
1 The Seventh Seal, or any other movie by Bergman for that matter Really, I have no excuse. I'm a swedish film nerd for christ sake, Bergman should be my god!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

5 Taxi Driver Was about to see this, but had to move and the dvd is lost now :(

6 Yojimbo Haven't watched much Kurosawa, wanna get started and this one looks interesting.

8 Anything by Takashi Miike execpt Ichi the Killer and Sukiyaki Western Django He's a japanese Tarantino from what I've seen, so naturally I'm all over him. But I'm lazy, so I've only seen two of his movies so far.

9 Cidade de Deus (City of god... I think?) Again, I had this on DVD but I lost it when I moved. Damm shame.

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

dotCommunism posted:

Pink Flamingos - I feel like I may have screwed up at some point as a queer person having never seen any John Waters film.

Watch this.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm pretty slow at this, but I finaly watched Taxi Driver . Awesome movie, DeNiro's awesome, and I'm having a fun time imagining Travis as being secretly gay, and channeling his frustration with his own sexuality into his vigilantism.

My list:

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Yojimbo Haven't watched much Kurosawa, wanna get started and this one looks interesting.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

meanmikhail posted:

Hellbunny still has to recommend me a movie.

Sorry, Vorpalbunny distracted me.

meanmikhail posted:

10. Any Charlie Chaplin- I am ashamed.

Watch the Dictator. I'm pretty sure that's his best. Hell, even Hitler liked it (which is good... I guess?)!

penismightier posted:

You better start talking sense.

It's like Frued 101 that guns=penises. Travis plays with guns.
Ergo, Travis wants to play with penises. That and he is completly incapable of not only understandig women, but understanding what he's supposed to do with them. At best he can play a weird father figure,but even that is stretching it.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Holy poo poo, City of god was awesome! Everything about it is just so awesome.
One of the best.

My updated list list:

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

dotCommunism posted:

Downfall - This one's supposed to be pretty good and I've seen a couple of other Hirschbiegel movies so why not.

Watch this. Hell, at the very least, you'l know what they're really saying during the infamous "Hitler rants in his bunker scene" that got big on youtube.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Finally saw a Yojimbo and...well really, what can I say? It's Kurosawa and Mifune at their finest, that all you really need to know!

Though I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about the fact that it's a blatant propaganda piece for the idea of "bushido" that dominated japan during and before the war. Ehh, nothing's perfect.

My updated list:

6 Stalker Who the gently caress is Andrej Tarkovskij? Since I have no idea, I wanna check him out. This one seems to one of his better films, so I might as well start here.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

hmmm... dear me.

I haven't seen any of these, what do I do now?

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Tell him to watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

ok.

Wolfgang Pauli, watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Now who's gonna tell me what movie to watch?

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Jolo posted:

2) The Seventh Seal - The premise for this movie sounds fascinating. I started to watch it one afternoon when I was tired and fell asleep immediately.

I just got done watching this and unless I'm blind to it's flaws because I'm swedish or something then it really is a great film. It truly deserves to be regarded as a classic and I can't recommend it enough.

The funny thing is, as bleak and depressing as it is, it also shows a very human and at times funny side that most people won't really tell you about. And it's only 97 minutes long, even if you hate it it will be over soon enough.

My list:
1 Nikita Flew right under my radar. Could be really good though.

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Whattup, fellow Swede! :respek: Did your grandad make you watch Bergman too?

Heh, If he did, do you think it would be on this list?

oh, and I just got done with Audition.

FUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK. That was...something. Sukiyuki Western Django was kinda meh, but the more I watch the more I fall in love with Miike. He really knows how to do weird and interesting films.

My updated list list:

8 Blade Runner I... just don't know man. Why oh why? Maybe it's the cult status that scares me. What if I don't like it? Then I'm a monster :cry:

Slvbarek posted:

10. City of God
Dude, watch this. Trust me, it's really good.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Watched Blade Runner.

Loved it. A really beutiful story of what it means to be a human. Dunno how I'm supposed to feel about the "Deckard was a replica" theory that the fans have been throwing around here on the forum though...

My updated list list:

6 Stalker Who the gently caress is Andrej Tarkovskij? Since I have no idea, I wanna check him out. This one seems to one of his better films, so I might as well start here.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

Arkane posted:

A Fellini movie not named 8 1/2 - I can tell watching 8 1/2 that I'll like his movies, so pick one!
Watch Fellini Amarcord. It's awesome.

Hellbunny fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 24, 2010

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Well... I got done watching Stalker and... well I'm almost disappointed. I say almost because it still is a brilliant film, but damm if it isen't slow sometimes.

My updated list:

6 Cinderella Man I Love boxing movies, but this one got away. Dunno why really.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Watch Run Lola Run. It was between this and the colur Purple, but Lola is less well... not three hours long.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I just saw Jackie Brown last night.

I still have a unapologetic nerd boner for Tarantino. The guy just make such FUN movies. Not to mention that they are pretty smart movies overall.

My updated list:

7 Yatterman I wanne see more of Miike, and this one sounds well... completly bonkers.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

Watch this.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Watched 12 angry men. I was really, really awesome. Such an elegant and efficiant movie. Why knew watching 12 dudes argue for one anda half hour could be so entertaining?

My updated list:

4 Eraserhead David Lynch flew over my head. Wanna fix that.

7 Yatterman I wanne see more of Miike, and this one sounds well... completly bonkers.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Dunno if I or Vagabondo should recommend you a movie, but I say that that you should see Downfall, because unseen dvds are an affront to the lord.

And it's really good.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

So I'm back, and I finally watched Nikita.

It was better than I expected. Nikita herself might even be cooler then Ripley. And loving Jean Reno is badass as poo poo.

My updated list:
1 Dead Man (1995) One of my friends (who's an even bigger filmnerd than me) told me to see this. And it sounds awesome!

marioinblack posted:

Aliens
Cameron is the god of good movie sequels and this one is one of the reasons why. See it.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Saw Lock stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

And while I loved it, I can sorta see why some people are gettin tired of Guy Ritchie. He really can't work with any environment except the criminal world of london. He really needs to try something new, because he's really good at what he does.

My list:
1 Dead Man (1995) One of my friends (who's an even bigger filmnerd than me) told me to see this. And it sounds awesome!

10 Memento Nolan has made non batman movies!?

Dmitri Russkie posted:

7 Samurai - Never saw any of Kurosawa's work

Watch this.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

TrixRabbi, how the gently caress did Memento not warp your mind? I really can't think of any movie that has so much mind fuckery (whille not being an arthouse film).

It was great, and I wouldn't have seen it without you or this thread. Yay!
My list:

10 The Prestige Nolan owns, wanna see more Nolan.

Arturo Ui posted:

Stalker - never seen a Tarkovsky film.

You get to see this one.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Argh, I hate you so much Magic Hate Ball! Dancer in the Dark was soo.... whyyyyyy did she have to diiiiieeeeee!! :cry: I mean yeah, it was pretty obvious but still... gently caress.

It was pretty brilliant but now I wanna shoot myself.

New list:

3 Dogville I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate myself for this but gently caress it, more Trier for me heheh (oh god I'm gonna cry again am I?:(

Voodoofly posted:

Wild Strawberries would be my other pick for first Bergman. I think some people are put off by the reputation of The Seventh Seal (it is a lot more fun than you might think).
True, and since I am the only one to have posted a new list I get to decide (You guys are too lazy :mad:).

tokillthesunflower, Watch the seventh Seal, it's great and surprisingly funny.

Hellbunny fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 25, 2010

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I saw Dead Man Yesterday.

It was awesome. Jonny Depp giong from wimp to badass was cool, and the indian guy was pretty fun (though he was a bit of a magic negro... indian?).

New list:

3 Dogville I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate myself for this but gently caress it, more Trier for me heheh (oh god I'm gonna cry again am I?:(

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Hellbunny posted:

I saw Dead Man Yesterday.

It was awesome. Jonny Depp giong from wimp to badass was cool, and the indian guy was pretty fun (though he was a bit of a magic negro... indian?).

New list:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yojimbo/Sanjuro

One of these should be good.

Edit: gently caress dubblepost sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Saw heat yesterday.

Damm. It's such a shame that both De Niro and Pachino seems to just cash in paychecks now a days. They really were two of the best actors in hollywood.

New list:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Brink of Life Bergman is one of my favourite directors yet a month ago I realized I haven't seen a film of his in over a year. I still haven't done anything about it so maybe this thread can help.

Can't go wrong with Bergman.