Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
InfiniteZero, you should watch Rules of the Game. It's awesome.

My shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once, halfway through on a plane, and never went back. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Vertigo - I've tried watching the film twice, and fell asleep both times about 30 minutes in. I usually love Hitchcock films, but the pacing on this one just gets me every time.

3) Goodfellas - after all the talk in the TVIV thread on Community and the great homage to the film, I meant to add it to my Netflix queue, but my list is rather full and I'll see it eventually.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - I just got crap for this over the weekend. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) The Sound of Music, Singin In the Rain, and musicals in general - I just can't get into them.

6) The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, and westerns in general - I like the few westerns I have seen, but I've just been slow to catch up.

7) Lawrence of Arabia - I'm waiting to catch this one in 70mm on the big screen. The American Cinematheque shows it every other month, so I'll catch it one of these days.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite.

10) City of God - I just imagine this will be pretty hard to watch.

I also have a shameful TV list, but that's another forum entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Vorpal Bunny, you sir, are lucky, because I happen to be a huge fan of musicals. You sir, shall watch The Music Man (my personal favorite musical, even if you didn't mention it). If we're playing "Stick to the List", watch Singin' in the Rain. I'm not mean enough to subject you to the boredom that you'll suffer from watching Sound of Music.

Thank you! Just the nudge I needed.

Is THE MUSIC MAN the one that WALL-E is based partly on? Or is that HELLO DOLLY?

I know I should see that one as well, to help deepen my love for WALL-E. Perhaps I'll make it a double feature!

EDIT - by the way, I totally get the habit of buying DVDs you never actually watch. Half the stuff on our DVD shelf is still wrapped in plastic, even though I know I want to watch them someday. There is just too much good stuff out there!

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 2, 2010

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Sting is way better than Butch Cassidy, which hasn't aged well.

Whenever I catch THE STING on TV I have to sit through the rest of it, no matter what I was doing. I usually catch it on the train poker sequence. If I had watched my movie already, I would totally recommend that one to meanmikhail.

Speaking of...sitting down to my movie right now. Shame begone!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

dotCommunism posted:

Do the Right Thing - Haven't really seen any Spike Lee movies.

Well, now you will. It's a great snapshot of the 1990s with perfect casting.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Vorpal Bunny, you sir, are lucky, because I happen to be a huge fan of musicals. You sir, shall watch The Music Man (my personal favorite musical, even if you didn't mention it). If we're playing "Stick to the List", watch Singin' in the Rain. I'm not mean enough to subject you to the boredom that you'll suffer from watching Sound of Music.

I watched The Music Man this afternoon. It was on cable in HD a few days ago and I DVR'd it. I am shamed it took me so long to watch the movie, even after it was recommended, but it's a delightful musical if a little long (2 1/2 hours). I only really knew Robert Preston from THE LAST STARFIGHTER before this.

I'd heard some of the songs before. The piano-scales song, that was parodied on Family Guy, right? I knew I had heard it somewhere before, just couldn't put my finger on it until now.

I loved the opening scene on the train (I watched it twice!) very clever and engaging. It's funny to hear all these songs I have heard randomly over the years (76 Trombones, Gary Indiana, Trouble, Til There Was You) in their original context.

A few nitpicks:

1) the conductor says smoking is illegal in Iowa, but one of the first stores Hill passes is a cigar/smoking supplies shop.

2) Hill's whole purpose is to bring music to this small town, yet the whole town breaks into song every ten minutes. I thought that was amusing.

3) It's a shame the cameras weren't steadier back then. There are a handful of shots following a big dance sequence where the camera wobbles on its track. It's rather distracting.

Overall, I liked it, though I just don't think musicals are my thing. Thanks for recommending this one, though.

VorpalBunny posted:

My shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never went back. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Vertigo - I've tried watching the film twice, and fell asleep both times about 30 minutes in. I usually love Hitchcock films, but the pacing on this one just gets me every time.

3) Goodfellas - after all the talk in the TVIV thread on Community and the great homage to the film, I meant to add it to my Netflix queue, but my list is rather full and I'll see it eventually.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - I just got crap for this over the weekend. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) The Sound of Music, Singin In the Rain, and musicals in general - I just can't get into them.
5) Flesh+Blood by Verhoeven. I like his other stuff, for the most part, I just never got around to watching this. I should probably also rewatch Robocop since I saw it once as a kid and never really got much more than awesome violence out of it. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation. :)

6) The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, and westerns in general - I like the few westerns I have seen, but I've just been slow to catch up.

7) Lawrence of Arabia - I'm waiting to catch this one in 70mm on the big screen. The American Cinematheque shows it every other month, so I'll catch it one of these days.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Presciently released in 1989, even!

Ok, late 1980s-early 1990s vibe. Sheesh.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

caiman, go watch All About Eve. You may not immediately identify with the story, but Bette Davis' screen presence and her one-liners and are just awesome. And there is no one else like George Sanders.

Cailin Rua posted:

Alright, VorpalBunny, go watch Goodfellas

Just finished it. Whenever anyone tries to rent any DVDs of The Sopranos they should be given Goodfellas as a primer. I had seen every episode of the show before seeing the movie, and now I feel like I understand the show a little better. Also, seeing nearly every cast member of The Sopranos in their younger years was pretty fun. Great movie, fun ride, De Niro at his best. Thanks for the recommendation!

By the way, my local Blockbuster had this in the ACTION section. I nearly gave up, until I found it buried under a pile of B-movies.

VorpalBunny posted:

My shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never went back. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

3) Paths of Glory - I recently saw 2001 on the big screen and loved it. I need to catch up on my Kubrick, this and Barry Lyndon are the only two major works of his I have yet to see. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

5) Flesh+Blood by Verhoeven. I like his other stuff, for the most part, I just never got around to watching this. I should probably also rewatch Robocop since I saw it once as a kid and never really got much more than awesome violence out of it. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Jolo posted:

Don't watch this movie. It's only about 2hrs long, but it felt much much longer.

I was one of the few people who subjected themselves to this movie when it first came out in theaters. I was too young to drink to dull the pain, and it was early enough in my movie-watching life that I knew it was bad for some reason but couldn't really put my finger on it. Kudos to you for subjecting yourself to it, as masochistic as it was.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

meanmikhail posted:

I saw the Sting, and I loved, loved, loved it. It was a load of fun, and Redford, Newman and Shaw were all terrific in it.

Everyone else should see this movie, if you haven't already. Ya follow?

Such old-school movie-star charm.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Hellbunny posted:

Sorry, Vorpalbunny the dazzling charm of Redford and Newman distracted me.

You are forgiven.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy, I have always regarded your list as a mindfuck and pitied any person who had to recommend a film to you. As luck would have it, that is now me! So, enjoy...The Last Emperor. I hope it's good.

marioinblack posted:

VorpalBunny you need to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, while I like Once Upon a Time in the West a little bit more, I would recommend watching The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly first.

I just finished The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly last night. It was my first Blu-Ray from Netflix, and it looked awesome. So many genre conventions in one film, especially the sweeping landscapes and that score! Good film, though I can't call it great. I may, after I view Once Upon a Time in the West and absorb it all while waiting for my next recommendation.

A few things: the titles were amazing, as is the opening scene. And the line "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk!" is so perfect for every action movie ever made. I also liked how there was a credit for "script girl" on the film.

I couldn't help but notice a resemblance between young Clint Eastwood and Michael Vartan.

My revised and still shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never got around to finishing it. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

3) Paths of Glory - I recently saw 2001 on the big screen and loved it. I need to catch up on my Kubrick, this and Barry Lyndon are the only two major works of his I have yet to see. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - I just got crap for this over a few weeks ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) Flesh+Blood by Verhoeven. I like his other stuff, for the most part, I just never got around to watching this. I should probably also rewatch Robocop since I saw it once as a kid and never really got much more than awesome violence out of it. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Volver - I rented this one a few times without watching it. I want to, I just never found the time. I love Cruz when she works with Almodovar.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work. I might be catching this on the big screen later this week. (fingers crossed)

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite. I was also told I should see Dolemite so maybe I'll make this recommendation a double-feature as well.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 20, 2010

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

penismightier posted:

VorpalBunny, hit up Paths of Glory. For my money, it's Kubrick's best.

I thought Netflix was lying when it said the film is 87 minutes long. I verified it on IMDB - yup, 87 minutes.

WTF, Kubrick? I was expecting another 3-hour epic, but this I could bang out later this evening! How refreshing.

And I was just busting your balls, Peaceful Anarchy. You took it like a champ. :tipshat:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

I just counted... he's done 23 already. I'll be doing my fourth tonight.

I think I've done 3, and there is literally no excuse for me not to watch the 4th. I want to watch it, I have it on Netflix instant view, I just...haven't. I am ashamed to admit that.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

penismightier posted:

VorpalBunny, you haven't watched Paths of Glory yet? You fucker.

I know, I was so excited when I saw it was less than 90 minutes. I even have ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST from Netflix that I was going to pair with my GOOD BAD & UGLY viewing.

I am terrible. I've had DEAD RINGERS from Netflix for something like 3 months now. My DVR is just more pressing - I have all 10 episodes of THE PACIFIC saved and I swore to myself I'd get through them ASAP. So, that means sometime in the next month.

I disgust me.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

penismightier posted:

Just watch it, you bastard. You could've squeezed it in between your last two posts in this thread. WATCH IT. WATCH ITTTTTTTTTTT

I actually watched an episode of THE SOUP and an episode of LIFE (the doumentary from a few months ago), both on my DVR, between posts. I am not a complete slacker!

But yeah, I suck. I won't post in here again until I watch it.

:ughh:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

But yeah, I suck. I won't post in here again until I watch it.
:ughh:

Guess what, y'all? I FINALLY WATCHED PATHS OF GLORY! At work, streaming Netflix on my desktop, no less. The shame just keeps on coming!

While the film is much more of a courtroom drama than I expected, it's still amazing and full of those tracking shots I love. Kubrick was a genius.

Caiman, watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Sure, it's a sentimental and hokey, but dadgummit it will stir something pure and awesome inside of you.

My (still) shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never got around to finishing it. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

3) Let The Right One In - I'd love to see this before the American remake gets released.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - I just got crap for this over a few weeks ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Volver - I rented this one a few times without watching it. I want to, I just never found the time. I love Cruz when she works with Almodovar.

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite. I was also told I should see Dolemite so maybe I'll make this recommendation a double-feature as well.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Sheldrake posted:

I know this is off-topic, but Frank Capra made a lot of movies, and usually only It Happened One Night, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and It's a Wonderful Life get any play. He really was a pretty daring filmmaker for his time, and he made a lot of other good ones: Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Meet John Doe, Bitter Tea of General Yen, Lost Horizon, and Forbidden I've all seen and greatly enjoyed, and I've barely gotten to touch his pre-code stuff.

Just if you need a random recommendation, almost all of his stuff is worth checking out. Except Pocket Full of Miracles, just ignore that one.

You Can't Take It With You was the film that made me fall in love with Jimmy Stewart. Just pure, goofy charm. I highly recommend it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Zogo, watch Some Like It Hot. While not totally laugh out loud hilarious, Marilyn Monroe is delicious, the boys are pitch perfect, and the ending is as great as everyone claims it is.

I just watched Let The Right One In - what a beautiful movie. I don't have faith the American remake can show the same kind of restraint, as this could have been a very schlocky movie. I liked the unexpected moments, the unexplained moments and the obvious moments all the same, and it was certainly haunting. I wish I had known nothing about the movie, but it certainly didn't take anything away from the film. The gimmick of the film is almost irrelevant, as the relationship is the heart of the piece. So glad I finally saw it, after renting it more than a few times and just never getting around to it (a bad habit of mine).

3) Nosferatu - I own it. I should really see it someday.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a few months ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

The Machine, go see It's a Wonderful Life. I push Capra films on anyone who is interested, so enjoy it!

I just finished Volver and I loved it. Such juicy visuals, a great cast, and it's just such an oddly lighthearted tragedy. The mother-daughter-aunt parallels were really interesting, and no one writes female characters like he does. No matter what the movie is about, his movies are always interesting and an engaging slice of life.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a few months ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

7) Body Heat - I love William Hurt and Kathleen Turner from that era just can't be beat. I've always wanted to see this, I just never got around to it.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Because I get excited by spreadsheets, I compiled a list of uncompleted assignments.

I am so excited I am not a Lost Cause or Slowpoke! Once I get my Netflix account back (I loaned it out for work reasons) then I can get on CITY OF GOD. I also recorded VERTIGO in HD off a cable channel this weekend, so I can knock two movies off my list. I might even try for BODY HEAT later this week on Netflix streaming. Woo! I'm going to try to get to double-digits before the end of the month.

And Peaceful Anarchy, I salute you!

:patriot:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Adhesion posted:

Finally, finally watched Vertigo.

Just curious, did you watch the version that's recently been playing on cable? I caught one of those in HD, and the foley and color correction stuck out like a sore thumb.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Skutter, I hope you love My Neighbor Totoro as much as I do. I think it's Miyazaki's best.

VorpalBunny posted:

Arkane posted:

Vorpal: You should watch City of God. Your imagination is playing tricks on you.

Yeah, it was pretty hard to watch. Kids strolling through slums shooting each other, robbing people, smoking weed, and just generally being killed by the dozens? It felt like a hosed up mix of Trainspotting and Pulp Fiction by way of The Godfather. With children. I had no idea it was a period piece, so that was an interesting twist.

I also watched Vertigo recently, and while it took me a while to get into it, I really dug how twisted and creepy it got at the end. I've never really disliked Jimmy Stewart in any of his roles I've seen so far, and I really kind of hated him by the end. The love affair was hard to buy, but according to Wikipedia it's because Kim Novak was 25, and Jimmy was 50, when the film was shot. Maybe that's what held me back from buying this twisted romance.

I also saw A Fistful of Dollars which I think I liked more than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly but maybe that's just because of all the young grimacing Eastwood. I might as well see For A Few Dollars More to round out the trilogy.

2) Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I really know nothing about this film, except it stars Bogie, and I have seen too little of his work.

7) Body Heat - I love William Hurt and Kathleen Turner from that era just can't be beat. I've always wanted to see this, I just never got around to it.

10) Bridge on the River Kwai - All I know is Alec Guiness is in it.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Arkane posted:

It was hard to watch? Man I have the worst memory of everyone I know, but still, I remember it principally as a coming-of-age story, with flashes of violence and a gritty tone. I'm reading the parent's guide on IMDB and you are definitely correct...I guess my mind was the one playing tricks on me haha. Sorry about that! Hopefully you liked it nonetheless.

I forgot to mention the gang rape.

After all that, I did like it, and learning it's a true story made it more brutal. Like if KIDS was based on a true story (which it might be, for all I know).

But really, thanks for the recommend! There's a reason it was on my list in the first place.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that you disliked about the films? I know Brooks isn't for everyone, but it's comedy. Is it too slapstick? Too ridiculous? The jokes too ribald? I'm genuinely curious as to what turns people off Brooks films.

Though this isn't directed at me, I've never been a huge Mel Brooks fan either. I tried getting into Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs, and while I find them mildly amusing, they never strike me as hilarious or rewatchable. I'd rather rewatch The Jerk or some Monty Python.

As it is comedy, and it is so subjective, I guess all I can say is the jokes in his movies are too obvious and/or unoriginal. Pizza the Hut? FrankenSHTEEN? Farting around the campfire? No thanks.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

ProfessorClumsy, you should watch Friday the 13th. It's actually a fun and interesting horror movie.

I finally saw Bridge on the River Kwai and I liked it, though it did drag on in parts for me. I appreciate the detail in Lean's scenes, and William Holden plays William Holden really well! I didn't realize the "Madness!" quote came from this movie, and I had already seen the ending sequence in film school (minus the "Madness!") as an example of excellent sound design to heighten tension. It was hard to get into, because the cause Guiness was fighting for seemed so absurd, but the fact Holden mentions it later in the film as a sign of "Madness!" highlighted the absurdity of trying to participate in a fair and honest war.

I also watched a handful of films on my shame list, while waiting for Bridge on the River Kwai to come in from Netflix:

Flesh+Blood - it's hard for me to figure out if I liked the film or not. It's essentially a rape fantasy gone awesome = dude nails a virgin who falls for him, he gets to rule a castle with his minions and he escapes in the end without catching the plague. It was bloody, sexual, graphic and hard to watch, which I guess I expected from Verhoeven. I still have RoboCop on blu-ray to watch in my stack.

Shaft - I didn't expect the across-the-board racism, but I liked his one-liners and his random sex scenes with the ladies. It was an entertaining film, and such a time capsule of New York. I also have Dolemite to watch in my stack.

2) Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I really know nothing about this film, except it stars Bogie, and I have seen too little of his work.

5) The Birds - I just recorded this on my HD DVR, and I have seen most of Hitchcock's other work. I've even been to several locations where the film was shot, I just never got around to it.

9) Moon - I have been trying to avoid getting spoiled on the plot twists, and I adore Sam Rockwell.

10) There Will Be Blood - All I know is "I drink your milkshake!" and it's 3+ hours long.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft

Still to watch: RoboCop, Dolemite, Once Upon A Time In The West

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

ClydeUmney posted:

To be fair, you really only know the first, because the movie is only about 2:40. Still long, but not as long.

Fair enough, but I have been told it feels like a very long movie which is why I assumed it was 3+ hours. Considering I just finished KWAI at 2:47, I think I can handle a 2:40 film.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Atheistdeals.com, go see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's a movie I can watch over and over again and always find something new. I hope you love it as much as I did.

I just finished Casablanca on blu-ray and it was gorgeous, entertaining, moving and just as good as I was told it would be. I once took a class taught by Leonard Maltin, and when asked what his favorite movie was he replied "Casablanca" without hesitation. He called it a perfect movie, and I have to agree with him. The cinematography is gorgeous, with Bergman's eyes constantly on the verge of tears, or with that lone teardrop falling down her left cheek. We only ever see her happy in Paris with Sam and Rick. The characters are all well-developed and engaging, the dialogue is snappy and fun (even if I've heard half of it quoted out of context before) and that ending. What an ending! "Round up the usual suspects." I am so glad I finally saw this movie.

1) A Serious Man - it's the only movie nominated for Best Picture from last year that I didn't see. I have an Academy screener of it sitting next to my TV, I just heard it was long and really depressing.

5) The Birds - I just recorded this on my HD DVR, and I have seen most of Hitchcock's other work. I've even been to several locations where the film was shot, I just never got around to it.

9) Moon - I have been trying to avoid getting spoiled on the plot twists, and I adore Sam Rockwell.

10) There Will Be Blood - All I know is "I drink your milkshake!" and it's long.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft, Casablanca

Still to watch: RoboCop, Dolemite, Once Upon A Time In The West

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 16, 2010

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

The Lucas posted:

A Serious Man is an hour and 46 mins.

Yeah, I know. I have the screener. I was told it was long, as in it feels like 3 hours. I was also told it's very "Jew-y", not that it matters.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

dotCommunism posted:

It's not even that hard to look up how long a movie is. I don't see why so many people post that movies are ridiculously longer than they are.

Well, I know for me both instances were people telling me the films indicated felt long. Which is why I held off on seeing them. Which is why it's on a shame list.

Does it really matter why people haven't seen a movie, when it's on a list of movies they are asking to be told to see?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Zogo, go watch Up. It's a great film.

I just finished Modern Times and it's amazing how forward his ideas were. The physicality of his factory work leading him to spasms and a mental breakdown, the smuggled cocaine in prison, the desire to stay in prison rather than live life on the outside, etc. The iconic image of the Tramp and his lady waddling off into the sunset was awesome. Great stuff. And the stuff that man could do in one take is just incredible.

I also watched a few extra movies from my list:

RoboCop - While I don't think this is an amazing movie or anything, I can appreciate the subversive stuff in it and anything where people explode in a cloud of squibs is awesome in my book.

Dolemite - What an awesomely terrible film. It was everything I hoped it would be, and the kung-fu hookers were the icing on the cake. I just wish there was more of Willie Brown, since he was the only dude in the movie who could really act. But spotting all the boom mics in the shots and trying to make sense of the incomprehensible plot was fun. I'm glad I saw Shaft first.

1) A Serious Man - it's the only movie nominated for Best Picture from last year that I didn't see. I have an Academy screener of it sitting next to my TV, I just heard it felt long and was really depressing.

8) Tropic Thunder - the trailers didn't make it seem all that funny, but everyone has since told me how great the movie really is. I am curious just for Robert Downey Jr's performance alone.

10) There Will Be Blood - All I know is "I drink your milkshake!" and it's long.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft, Casablanca, Modern Times, RoboCop, Dolemite

Still to watch: Once Upon A Time In The West

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein, go see The Manchurian Candidate. It's worth it for Angela Lansbury alone.

I just finished MOON. It really wasn't what I was expecting, but Sam Rockwell delivers as always and he really did deserve some major award consideration, considering he's in nearly every second of the film. It's a minimal, haunting tale told in an engaging way, and it had moments of real heartbreak. I felt like the voiceovers at the very end were unnecessary, with radio transmissions about Sam's clone landing on Earth and telling his story, and probably added at the distributors insistence to "satisfy" audiences. I wish maybe this is a cycle that repeated itself every few clones, kind of like the Matrix, but it is early in the project's timespan so maybe (if the voiceovers are ignored) it does. Or maybe it's just a flawed system that only lasts a few cycles. Very thought provoking stuff, nonetheless.

1) A Serious Man - it's the only movie nominated for Best Picture from last year that I didn't see. I have an Academy screener of it sitting next to my TV, I just heard it felt long and was really depressing.

8) Tropic Thunder - the trailers didn't make it seem all that funny, but everyone has since told me how great the movie really is. I am curious just for Robert Downey Jr's performance alone.

9) The Outlaw Josey Wales - This was one of my father's favorite movies, and I'm on a roll with Clint Eastwood westerns.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft, Casablanca, Modern Times, RoboCop, Dolemite, Moon

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Atheistdeals.com, thanks for the recommendation. Have another Hitchcock in return, North by Northwest.

I just finished The Birds and even though it's been referenced a thousand times, it still got to me. Seriously, how do you protect yourself from so many aerial assaults? The image of the little girl being pecked in the back of the head by the seagull is cringeworthy, and the lack of score really makes the screeches of the birds even scarier. I loved the duality of the title "The Birds" between the actual birds and all the ladies in Mitch's life. And I love the non-ending ending, and Tippi's green outfit. This is one of my favorite Halloween costumes ever:

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

5) Lady Vengeance - I've seen the other two films in the trilogy, and I even had this from Netflix for a while, but I never got around to watching it. I'd also add Thirst to this since I was unable to see it when it got it's very limited release here in the US.

9) The Outlaw Josey Wales - This was one of my father's favorite movies, and I'm on a roll with Clint Eastwood westerns.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft, Casablanca, Modern Times, RoboCop, Dolemite, Moon, The Birds

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

In any case, Ridley Scott impresses me more with each film I've seen of his. Alien, Thelma & Louise, Robin Hood, Kingdom of Haven, Gladiator, and Blade Runner are all very different movies from very different genres. While I don't love all of those movies, I have huge amounts of respect for Ridley Scott for his ability to understand the strengths of the genres of each movie and to maximize them while still leaving his own mark.

It's funny, just last night I was ranting about how hit or miss he is for me. I loathed Hannibal, A Good Year and the cut I saw of Kingdom of Heaven but have an irrational love for Gladiator and he gets bonus points for producing "The Good Wife" for CBS. I think I would adore him if he could somehow get his brother to stop making movies.

Sorry for the derail. I also popped in to say I have been distracted by real life and have been negligent in getting around to There Will Be Blood. It is on the agenda, but I was on a pretty good clip there and am bummed to have been distracted from my movie-watching duties. The fact that the Fall TV season is in full swing hasn't helped matters, either.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Mistletoe Donkey - you get Old Boy. You might want to watch this one by yourself, it's pretty brutal.

After many months of distraction (we had a baby, woo!) I finally watched There Will Be Blood this afternoon. Daniel Day Lewis was frightening in his portrayal of a focused oilman, and I think I need to see it again to really appreciate all the nuances. His spiral was incredible and kind of hard to grasp.

I have seen many movies in the past few months, most that were going to be on my list (Singin' In The Rain and Hannah & Her Sisters, among others) and a few from my list:

Tropic Thunder - pretty lame, not very funny, and the best parts were Matthew McConaughey's film agent.

Once Upon A Time In The West - much more interesting than I expected it to be. I cared more for the damsel in distress than I thought I would, and the cast was simply incredible. And it was funny! Didn't expect that.

1) A Serious Man - it's the only movie nominated for Best Picture from 2009 that I didn't see. I have an Academy screener of it sitting next to my TV.

2) Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I really know nothing about this film, except it stars Bogie, and I have seen too little of his work. I did record this on my DVR but had to erase it for space, which shamed me even more.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a year ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) Lady Vengeance - I've seen the other two films in the trilogy, and I even had this from Netflix for a while, but I never got around to watching it. I'd also add Thirst to this since I was unable to see it when it got it's very limited release here in the US.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet. I am even more ashamed about it as I have had a disc of this from Netflix for months now, and just haven't watched it.

7) Body Heat - I love William Hurt, and Kathleen Turner from that era just can't be beat. I've always wanted to see this, I just never got around to it.

8) Lawrence of Arabia - this is currently taking up 4 hours of HD programming on my DVR, and I would love a push to watch it.

9) The Outlaw Josey Wales - This was one of my father's favorite movies, and I was on a roll with Clint Eastwood westerns.

10) True Grit - I really liked the remake, and I would love to see the original Rooster. I've never been a big John Wayne fan, but this might change all that. It's also taking up valuable HD space on my DVR.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft, Casablanca, Modern Times, RoboCop, Dolemite, Moon, The Birds, There Will Be Blood, Tropic Thunder, Once Upon A Time In The West

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Yo, bluefire579, fix your post. I already gave Mistletoe Donkey a movie.

Cheers. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Lawrence of Arabia: Waiting for the Blu-Ray but I do have a HD copy on my DVR.

Let me guess - TMC HD's month of Oscar movies. My DVR couldn't hold everything I wanted to record! What would we do without DVRs?