Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Codyclarke, watch Mean Streets, young Deniro and Keitel are worth it.
Oh, and if I'm picking for Twin Cinema, watch Godfather: Part II. I love when people watch it for this first time, makes me envious.

1.The Night of the Hunter - I really don't know why I haven't seen this yet, it appears to have everything I love in a movie, but I guess I've heard so much about it over the years I already "know" it.

2.81/2 - It's embarassing, I've just never gotten around to it.

3.The Wild Bunch - I've seen the very opening and bits and pieces of it on TV, all of it's been interesting though

4.Ikiru - I wish I had more Kurosawa under my belt, and this one's always sounded interesting to me

5.Blow-Up - again, probably haven't seen it because I know so much about it already

6.Cinema Paradiso - I tried finding it a few years ago, failed, and gave up. I haven't sought it out in a long time

7.Paris, Texas - I've just been underexposed to this movie and hadn't really heard much about it

8.Point Blank - Again, underexposure... a friend saw it and loved it a few months ago and it's been bugging me since

9.Mystic River - The actors intrigued me but nothing I heard about the story did it for me, plus I heard a lot of lukewarm reviews

10.Ghandi - Sorry, Ben Kingsley

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

^^^There is nothing not 100 percent true in this post

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Okay, finally got around to watching Cinema Paradiso. I really was expecting to be underwhelmed, but it was beautiful. The imagery was gorgeous and the story itself just clicked with me for some reason. The most effective part was the emotions it stirred up in me, I couldn't watch it without trying to relate or reminisce. And the montage is stunning without being corny.

The Gloaming, I'm torn, you have so many good ones. It's a toss up between Aguirre and The Godfather, but I choose The Godfather for you. Also, watch Part II if you can also, it's the better movie imo

Anyway, revised list:

1.The Night of the Hunter - I really don't know why I haven't seen this yet, it appears to have everything I love in a movie, but I guess I've heard so much about it over the years I already "know" it.

2.8 1/2 - It's embarassing, I've just never gotten around to it.

3.The Wild Bunch - I've seen the very opening and bits and pieces of it on TV, all of it's been interesting though

4.Ikiru - I wish I had more Kurosawa under my belt, and this one's always sounded interesting to me

5.Blow-Up - again, probably haven't seen it because I know so much about it already

6.Cinema Paradiso - I tried finding it a few years ago, failed, and gave up. I haven't sought it out in a long time

7.Paris, Texas - I've just been underexposed to this movie and hadn't really heard much about it

8.Point Blank - Again, underexposure... a friend saw it and loved it a few months ago and it's been bugging me since

9.Mystic River - The actors intrigued me but nothing I heard about the story did it for me, plus I heard a lot of lukewarm reviews

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 8, 2010

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

thegloaming posted:

Kinda wish you went with Aguirre, but at least now I'll finally get rid of this huge burden of shame. Not sure yet if I want to see both consecutively; I guess I'll see how I feel with Part 1.

It's better to get this one out of the way, plus if the next one picked for you isn't Aguirre I'll eat my hat

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

bad movie knight posted:

Now we just gotta dig up Les Blank's corpse.

Mod, requesting a name change to LesterBlanks...also, I'll need a hat. Preferably a delicious one.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

bad movie knight posted:

Funny: Netflix wishes you had more slots too.

Netflix sounds like a dirty old man and I'm glad* I don't have it

*am not glad

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Just finished watching Ikiru. Wow, what a beautiful movie. It's not my favourite Kurosawa, but it was still fantastic. I can't remember who said it, but Kurosawa really is a cinematic Shakespeare. And hell, he can edit some tight sequences... when Watanabe is thinking about Mitsuo playing baseball, which cuts to Watanabe's face, then cuts to he and a younger Mitsuo on an elevator: so good. The first half part of the movie was gut-wrenchingly sad: Watanabe crawling backwards down the steps killed me. I also dug the office drudgery montage at the beginning. It's one I'll introduce to others.

As for Twin Cinema, I was going to say Raiders, but it's Empire Strikes Back all the way.

Revised list:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

meanmikhail posted:

There's some very good ones on there, LesterGroans. You get Blowup, which is a very good movie. Enjoy.

Awesome! Thanks.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Finally watched Blowup and am I ever pissed that I'm just now getting around to it. First and foremost, I love the aesthetics of the '60s, specifically the superficial fashion world. David Hemmings was great, he seemed at times disconnected and bemused, which worked well. I love the use of photography as a plot device, it's just really neat to watch(and worked better as an element of the plot than sound recording did in Blow Out). It's definitely a movie I'm going to have fun discussing with friends, especially the ending.

Peaceful Anarchy, watch A Passage to India, because everybody needs more Alec Guinness in their lives.

Revised list(with replacements):

The King of Comedy - I think it's the only Scorsese flick I haven't seen

An American Werewolf in London - There's no excuse for this, it seems like the perfect type of horror movie for me

Scenes From a Marriage - I'm light in my Bergman area and this is getting a lot of playing in the Consensus thread, so I'm adding it here

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 11, 2010

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

thegloaming posted:

Does this mean LesterGroans has to eat his own hat?

Why did I have to wear my Spanish conquistador helmet :(

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Holy poo poo, how'd I avoid An American Werewolf in London for so long? It's funny and scary at the same time. Griffin Dunne was great as Jack and David Naughton was a sympathetic lead. It was a perfect cult classic. The effects hit me just right, the music was hilarious. All-in-all it was a really solid horror.

tokillthesunflower watch It's a Wonderful Life. I don't care how sappy some people think it is, it's a great movie and as a Stewart fan you should see it.

Revised list(with replacements):

The King of Comedy - I think it's the only Scorsese flick I haven't seen

An American Werewolf in London - There's no excuse for this, it seems like the perfect type of horror movie for me
City of God - I keep wanting to pick up City of Men from a local store, but holding off until I see this movie... but I always forget to actively seek it out

Scenes From a Marriage - I'm light in my Bergman area and this is getting a lot of playing in the Consensus thread, so I'm adding it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

penismightier posted:

This pleases me. Child murderer or not, John Landis can really bring it sometimes.

I was gonna make a Landis crack too, but it depressed me too much :(