Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
1) Unforgiven: It's one of those westerns that I know I'd really love, and I own a copy of it, but just never got around to. The more I read about it, though, I think I oughta save it until I've seen a few more Eastwood westerns (Pale Rider, Outlaw Josey Wales, etc.)

2) Cidade de Deus: Just about everyone I went to film school with swore by City of God and overhyped it to the point where I simply wasn't interested anymore. It's one that I'm sure is worth watching, but has always been a really low priority.

3) A Clockwork Orange: One of the few Kubrick films I've still yet to see. Lately I've started to really come around on Kubrick, having finally seen and really enjoyed Full Metal Jacket as well as watching Spielberg's A.I. and reading up on Kubrick's history with the film. Clockwork Orange seems the most divisive among my friends. Some love it for how sick and depraved it is and others hate it for the same reason. Don't know where I'll come down on it, but I'm game.

4) Requiem for a Dream: I've seen all of Aronofsky's other films, and have liked/loved all of them (even The Fountain, so glad I saw it in theaters). Despite that, I've stayed away from Requiem mostly due to the subject matter. I don't doubt Aronofsky's talent as a director or a storyteller, but I'm not sure if I care to be royally depressed by this film the way so many talk about it.

5) Singin' in the Rain: On the opposite end of the emotional spectrum, there's Singin' in the Rain. I don't have much a story or excuse for this one. Just never got around to it.

6) Gates of Heaven: I'm a big fan of Errol Morris, but Gates of Heaven is one of his that's always eluded me. That and A Brief History of Time.

7) Just about any Martin Scorsese film that isn't Goodfellas or his 2000s output. I've always really enjoyed what I've seen of his, and I'm still kicking myself for not being able to take the course on Scorsese during college.

8) Or David Lynch for that matter. I've seen Eraserhead and The Straight Story, but for some reason just have never been able to force myself to sit down and watch a Lynch movie.

9) L.A. Confidential: How I've still never seen this movie is a mystery to me.

10) Being There: This seems like the kind of movie I would love, as I'm a fan of Peter Sellers and political satires in general.

RECOMMENDATION TIME: Knoddus, I guess I'll recommend you watch Chungking Express. Of the films you listed, it seems the least...ponderous, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Zogo posted:

A few others have listed it. I recommend Blue Velvet.

Blue Velvet it is. Added it to the top of my Netflix queue.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Hooray for edits!

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 2, 2010