Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Slvbarek, I'm torn between recommending Godfather Part II and 8 1/2. They are probably two of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. So...... eenie meenie meinie moe..... Part II, since you say it's your deepest darkest shame. I hope 81/2 is your second darkest, sir.

My list! I'm officially unemployed and a film student, so this is the perfect opportunity to enhance my education.

1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

2. Braveheart Just, I dunno, it's Mel Gibson?

3. It's A Wonderful Life Or really anything with Jimmy Stewart that isn't Harvey, Rear Window or The Man Who Knew Too Much. Just recently found out that I love Jimmy Stewart, and he's in so many good movies it's kind of overwhelming.

4. The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

5. The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

6. Rope or Vertigo I've seen enough Hitchcock that it would take up too much space to list the ones I have seen, but not enough that I can list all the ones I haven't so I'll just start with these two.

7. The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

8. The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

9. Lawrence of Arabia Guess I might as well jump on the bandwagon. This would be more a case of listening to my mother, as this is one of her favorites. I had no desire when I was a kid to sit around and watch a movie for three hours or however long this one is.

10. Annie Hall I say I hate Woody Allen, but I've only seen one (I think?) of his films. A friend of mine compared me to Annie Hall once, so I suppose I should watch to see if it was an insult or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

caiman posted:

Cailin Rua, you must watch Lawrence of Arabia. You will thank me.

Thank you. It was absolutely amazing. There's not really a whole lot I can say about this film that hasn't been said by hundreds of people over the years, but I do feel like a better person, or at least a better cinephile, for having watched it.

TwinCinema, watch Singin' in the Rain. Right now. Do it.

Updated list:
I'm gonna start going by TSPDT's list, just to make picking which movies I haven't seen easier for myself.

1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

3. It's A Wonderful Life Or really anything with Jimmy Stewart that isn't Harvey, Rear Window or The Man Who Knew Too Much Just recently found out that I love Jimmy Stewart, and he's in so many good movies it's kind of overwhelming.

4. The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

6. Vertigo. I've seen enough Hitchcock that it would take up too much space to list the ones I have seen, but not enough that I can list all the ones I haven't so I'll just start with this one.

7. The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

9. Lawrence of Arabia
9. The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

10. Annie Hall I say I hate Woody Allen, but I've only seen one (I think?) of his films. A friend of mine compared me to Annie Hall once, so I suppose I should watch to see if it was an insult or not.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Alright, VorpalBunny, go watch Goodfellas

Just finished watching Annie Hall, and I was hooked within the first five minutes. I found it completely charming and easy to relate to. I take back every mean thing I've said about Woody Allen and don't even mind admitting how wrong I was about not liking him, because he's absolutely genius. I wasn't sure at first about the constant breaking of the fourth wall, but I thought it was definitely in keeping with how neurotic Alvy is (and Allen himself, probably).

One of my favorite shots was when Alvy and Rob are walking down the street, but they start off on the other end of the block and around the corner. You hear their dialogue long before you actually see them on screen. I loved it. My favorite scene was definitely the spider in the bathroom, because if I did live alone, I would do the same drat thing.

So yeah, overall, being compared to Annie Hall - not an insult.

1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

3. It's A Wonderful Life Or really anything with Jimmy Stewart that isn't Harvey, Rear Window or The Man Who Knew Too Much Just recently found out that I love Jimmy Stewart, and he's in so many good movies it's kind of overwhelming.

6. Vertigo. I've seen enough Hitchcock that it would take up too much space to list the ones I have seen, but not enough that I can list all the ones I haven't so I'll just start with this one.

10. The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall

edit:

FitFortDanga posted:

:viggo: fourth wall
:ohdear: I can't believe I missed that.

tokillthesunflower fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 11, 2010

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Jolo posted:

8) Battlefield Earth - What the gently caress is this doing here? Well, I've heard it was godawful terrible, but it's available for instant watch on netflix. I'm curious to see if it really is as bad as it reviewed.

Watch this Jolo, just to get it over with.

Just finished watching Vertigo and man, was that a ride. I was riveted from start to finish. I was glad I went in not knowing anything about the film too, because I did not see that twist coming. I had high expectations considering everyone involved on that film, and it delivered on all levels.

Updated list:
1. A Fistful of Dollars or For a Few Dollars More I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

3. It's A Wonderful Life I love Jimmy Stewart, so it is rather inexcusable that I haven't seen this yet.

6. Battleship Potemkin Never really been into silent movies until recently.

10. The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

toro913, I'm going to pick Once Upon a Time in America. Yeah it's long, but it's also really good. Except for that ringing phone at the beginning.

Just finished watching Braveheart. I went in not expecting to like it much, but I actually like it quite a bit. I found some parts of it incredibly moving, like Robert the Bruce on the battlefield after Falkirk, and the speech he gives his father. Angus Mcfadyen totally stole the show for me in that last hour or so. Also loved David O'Hara as Stephen the crazy Irishman. Some really beautiful scenery, though not surprising considering where they were filming. It felt a little long in places, especially after Wallace is captured. Overall though, really solid film.

Also watched Battleship Potemkin since it's only an hour or so, and it's available for instant viewing. It is really good, the Odessa Staircase sequence is fabulous, but yeah, really heavy-handed propaganda movie.

Updated list:

2. Tokyo Story I've heard of it, but don't really know anything about it.

3. It's A Wonderful Life I love Jimmy Stewart, so it is rather inexcusable that I haven't seen this yet.

6. Sunrise Same reason as The Conformist

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Hey, JVO, watch Rain Man.

Just finished watching It's a Wonderful Life. Really liked it, though as I had been warned by many people, it was a little sappy. As always, James Stewart delivers (I could listen to him talk all day :allears:), and by the end of the movie you really feel for the character and hope that things start going right for him. And hey, whaddaya know, they do.

Updated list:

2. Tokyo Story I've heard of it, but don't really know anything about it.

3. Bicycle Thieves Heard of it, never really been tempted to watch it.

6. Sunrise Same as The Conformist

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Big Red One Apparently it's a pretty well regarded war movie.

I have seen none of the movies on your list, so just watch this one. Hope it goes well.

As for Tokyo Story I found the writing to be a bit lacking (may have been the subtitles fault), but the atmosphere and style of the movie more than made up for it. The way the camera was used (or not used) really made it feel as if you're getting a view into these people's lives, as if you're just sitting there watching these things happen. The stillness of the background and lack of background music really added to that effect. I didn't feel emotionally connected to the characters, but found myself tearing up when Keiso went to go sit by himself at the funeral. This movie made me feel bad for not calling my father on father's day.

Updated list, choose wisely:

2. Rashomon Thinking about it, I don't think I've seen any Kurosawa.

3. Bicycle Thieves Heard of it, never really been tempted to watch it.

6. Sunrise Same as The Conformist

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

I think some Ritchie will be a nice contrast to Shrek.

Just finished watching The Bicycle Thief (why on earth did it get pluralized?). What a beautiful and heartbreaking movie. On top of it, all that beauty felt completely effortless. There didn't seem to be anything deliberate about the camera placement, the cinematography, or the writing, it all felt extremely natural. It almost didn't feel like I was watching a movie at all. The use of non-professional actors was great too, none of their performances felt rehearsed.

Updated list:

A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

Rashomon Thinking about it, I don't think I've seen any Kurosawa.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

The Passion of Joan of Arc I'm running out of excuses here.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Kin-Dza-Dza A soviet Sci Fi film that's apparently highly regarded.

Watched a clip from each of the movies on your list on Youtube, and this one won.

Rashomon is a really beautiful movie. I found the acting to be over the top at times, and the scenes at (in?) Rashomon felt a little muddled, but the forest scenes more than made up for that. Definitely worth a viewing for the cinematography alone.

Updated list:
A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

The Night of the Hunter Again, no good reason.

The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford As much as I love Westerns, I haven't seen that many of them. I want to learn more about the genre. I think biopics about famous Old West figures are fascinating because of the ways people make legends of figures who only existed a relatively short time ago.

Going with this one. It's not necessarily a western though, just happens to be set in that era.

The Night of the Hunter was pretty good. There were a couple parts that I found a bit cheesy (like Powell chasing the kids up the stairs), and I wasn't totally satisfied by the ending. However, I really liked the story and Robert Mitchum is a creepy sinister son of a bitch. I also really liked the sequence when the kids are floating down the river, it had a nice dream- (or nightmare-)like quality to it.

Updated list:

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

La Grande Illusion Same as Rules of the Game, and hey, they're even directed by the same guy.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, The Night of the Hunter

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Let The Right One In

Really one of the best vampire movies ever, and even without that it's still a terrific film.

Watched La Grande Illusion last night. I promise I won't refer to Renoir as 'that guy' anymore. I can sometimes have trouble connecting with characters in foreign movies, but they were so well-rounded in this case it's almost impossible to not be engaged. Fantastic movie, one I will definitely be adding to my collection.

Updated list:

City Lights I've seen bits and pieces of Chaplin, but I don't think I've seen any of his movies start to finish.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

10: Rashômon - I've yet to see a Kurosawa film and this is the only one I own.

Watch this one. I watched it a few films earlier in this thread, and was very pleased with it.

Took me a while to watch City Lights because of the stupid holiday (sorry America) and I'm in the middle of a Doctor Who marathon in my queue, but finally got to it today. I went in a little hesitant because I've found with a lot of other silents that my attention (which is like a kitten's) wanders easily, but I found Chaplin completely charming and funny enough to hold it. I do still prefer silents more along the lines of Metropolis with its really striking visuals, but there were definitely a few scenes that had me giggling like a school girl because they were so funny (like the restaurant scene). I did think the ending was a little abrupt, and left me wanting more closure, but overall I really enjoyed it.

New list:

The General I've never seen any Buster Keaton.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

I'm just going to assume that JayBulworth has no idea what's going on, and give Fab Boy Jim Bicycle Thieves

As for Grapes of Wrath, thanks for finally giving me this one. I've seen a couple other Fords, and this one is definitely my favorite so far. I've always had a fascination with depression era America, and I love this story and how John Ford told it. The shot towards the end with Tom walking up the hill in the distance was amazing, and I love the final scene when they're driving into Fresno and Ma's explaining how she's not scared anymore. I will say though that I think this is one instance when I would not be upset to see a remake. Only because there were several things the studio wouldn't let Ford put in the movie because of decency.

Ok, new list:

The General I've never seen any Buster Keaton.

Les Enfants du Paradis I don't know anything about this movie.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Burmese Harp

Your entire list depresses me, because I haven't heard of a single one of those movies. So you get to be depressed too.

The General was really really good. I thought the first 30 minutes or so to be kind of slow, but once he gets his lady love back, and they make for the southern lines it really picks up steam. I didn't find Keaton as charming as Chaplin at first (is it even fair to compare the two?), but he grew on me in the last half of the film. His physicality alone is incredible. Good lord. My only (very small) complaint is that some of the music sounded like it came from a Final Fantasy game.

New list, do your worst (or best, preferably):

Les Enfants du Paradis I don't know anything about this movie.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Surely you've heard of Woodstock, no?

Nope, I hadn't until now, but I'm certainly going to add it to my 'watch as soon as possible' list.

I actually have heard of Berlin Alexanderplatz, but only because of CineD (probably only because of Peaceful Anarchy in this thread), so I didn't count it.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If this was your criteria then I'm very thankful you didn't pick Shoah.

After reading the synopsis on IMDB, yeah, I'm glad I didn't choose this either. I don't want to be known as the goon who caused Peaceful Anarchy to kill himself. :smith:

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Ceddo I want to see more African films, I think I've only seen two in my life.

I'll go with this. Interested to hear more about African cinema.

I'm still kind of absorbing Les Enfants Du Paradis but first impression is man, that's a hell of a movie. The sets and costumes were absolutely beautiful, the writing was great, and the entire cast of characters came off as incredibly well-rounded. Barrault as Baptiste was tremendous, he has such a wonderfully expressive face. It also has a fantastic story, and ends almost perfectly.

New list:

Dr. Strangelove Yeah, that's right. I've never seen this movie, and in all honesty if it weren't for this thread I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it, like, ever.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

JVO posted:

Go watch this.

I knew that was gonna happen.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

marioinblack, you've got several good options to choose from on your list, but having just watched some Kubrick, I'm going to recommend you some Kubrick. Go watch A Clockwork Orange.

So I get why pretty much everyone I've ever met has told me to watch Dr. Strangelove. What a ludicrous and wonderful movie. It has Kubrick's amazing direction and camera work, but on top of that it's hilarious, which I don't remember getting from other films of his that I've watched. I've also never seen George C. Scott like that before. The president was my favorite Sellers bit, mostly because of the phone calls to Kissoff. Really really glad I did actually get around to watching this.

New list:

Breathless Never seen any Godard.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Go watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Even if it's not your kind of western, you can't go wrong with Jimmy Stewart.

I can't decide how I feel about The Passion of Joan of Arc. One the one hand it's gorgeous with exquisite cinematography. On the other hand, I felt absolutely nothing for the characters on screen. Maybe I'll give it another go in a month or two.

New list:

Apocalypse Now Pretty much the same reason I had for Dr. Strangelove, though I've had less people tell me I'll like this.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

rangi, watch Annie Hall.

Seven Samurai was incredible. It didn't feel its length at all. Everything on screen developed story and/or character, and was beautifully shot as well. I was a little wary of Toshiro Mifune at first, because I found him almost too much to handle in Rashomon, but his, uh, energy really lent itself to the character of Kikuchiyo.

Apocalypse Now Pretty much the same reason I had for Dr. Strangelove, though I've had less people tell me I'll like this.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy, it's Farewell My Concubine for you. I've never seen it either, but I've heard good things.

Just finished Breathless. It's a beautiful movie, and just fun to look at. The use of jump cuts and the soundtrack really do leave you feeling breathless. But I hated Michel, hes such a douchebag. And I didn't really care for Patricia either when all was said and done. That being said, I feel this overwhelming urge to watch it again as soon as possible. It's gotten under my skin and I've got this feeling that it's going to be one of those movies that enters my collection, not because I necessarily like it, but because I have to watch it every now and again.

On a side note, during the scene in the beginning when Michel is driving through the country side, he says something that in the subtitles is translated into 'Gotta make tracks, Max' (or something,) though I'm pretty sure he says the name Alfonse. I couldn't quite make out what he said in French, but I would love to know what it is. If anybody more familiar with the movie and/or the language could help a goon out, that would be awesome.

New List:

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

dotCommunism posted:

It's "allons-y, Alonso"

Don't tease me. If that is actually what he says, I love the universe. :neckbeard:

Nroo posted:

Apocalypse Now, preferably the theatrical version.

As opposed to Apocalypse Now Redux? Or is there another version I'm unaware of?

Fake edit: Looks like the disc on Netflix is a double feature and has both versions.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

bananasinpajamas posted:

9. All About Eve - Do I really wanna watch a movie that's ALL about Eve?

Yes, yes you do.

Three words for Apocalypse Now: beautiful, heartbreaking and horrifying. One of the best movies I've ever seen, and certainly the best war film. Coppola's a flippin' genius and the entire cast was absolutely stellar. The writing, lighting and camera-work were all amazing. There wasn't a single aspect of this movie that didn't work to perfection.

New List:

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonini, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

The 400 Blows I know next to nothing about this movie other than that Truffaut directed it.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy, watch The Traveling Players, because, I dunno, because it's Greek.

I very much enjoyed The 400 Blows, I found it very touching and engaging. The story was good and I really liked the kid that played Antoine. His buddy Rene was great too. I can't help but feel, though, that I'm missing something, that there's a greater lesson to have been learned from the film. But either way, teriffic movie.

New List:

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonini, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Persona IhaveneverseenanIngmarBergmanfilm. :ohdear:

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Five Fingers of Death I hear this is a good kung fu film, I've not seen many kung fu films.

Kung-fu sounds like a great idea right now.

I really liked The African Queen. The story was quite engaging, and I absolutely fell in love with the two characters. If you only have two characters on screen for an hour and a half, Katharine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart are two fantastic actors to spend that hour and a half with.

New List:

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Persona IhaveneverseenanIngmarBergmanfilm. :ohdear:

Andrei Rublev After reading up on this on IMDb, it sounds really interesting.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Most assignments completed:
Peaceful Anarchy - 51 !!!
tokillthesunflower - 21
dotCommunism - 17
marioinblack - 15
Arkane - 15
Twin Cinema - 12
penismightier - 12
Magic Hate Ball - 12
Hellbunny - 11
CloseFriend - 11
mikewozere - 11

Man, I thought I was way closer than that. I had a great run there with no school and movies I could watch online. I'm gonna do my damndest to close that gap.

Thanks for that list FFD, that's pretty stellar. Lists make me feel all warm and fuzzy. :3:

fake edit: Is damndest even a word? That doesn't look right.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Sheldrake, you get Cornered

A Fistful of Dollars was really good. I still prefer The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but you can tell that this film is the start of something special. All that (now) classic Leone camera work, Eastwood's scowl, and man, that score.

Oh, and a question I've never really thought to ask: It's called 'The Man With No Name' trilogy, but is it all the same character? Or are they three different guys that just happen to be bad-rear end, taciturn and no-named? Probably a stupid question, but eh.

New List:

Ugetsu I've heard about this movie from a few different people, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Jules et Jim I've seen this movie referenced in several movies, but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars

tokillthesunflower fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 24, 2010

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

They're different guys. Joe, Manco, Blondie.

Good to know.

FitFortDanga posted:

That is a bad one to start with.

And also good to know. I've been following TSPDT's top 1000 thus far, but maybe I'll hold that one back til I've got more Bergman under my belt. What would you recommend to start with?

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Atheistdeals.com posted:

2. The Seventh Seal- Never seen any Bergman and I know nothing about his work.

I almost gave you The Trial, but I'm not sure that it's the best intro to Welles if you've never seen anything of his. But I just finished watching The Seventh Seal and enjoyed it immensely, and apparently it's a good place to start with Bergman.

The Seventh Seal was incredible. Everything was beautiful, right down to the costuming. What struck me the most was that the composition of every shot was striking and gorgeous to look at. The story was engaging and the theme is one I've always responded to rather strongly. There's way too much to praise about this film for one post, so I'll just leave it at that.

New List:

Ugetsu I've heard about this movie from a few different people, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Jules et Jim I've seen this movie referenced in several movies, but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

MonkeeKong, go watch Andrei Rublev.

The Rules of the Game left me feeling a little lukewarm. I can't say that I became fully engaged with the characters until about the last half hour of the movie. The masquerade party is when the film really picked up for me. Schumacher chasing down Marceau and dragging Lisette behind him was definitely a highlight. Everything up to that point failed to really capture my attention.

The comedy aspect was really good, it bordered on farce without being too over-the-top, and there were still some good tense moments throughout the third act. I also really like Renoir's style in general, there were several scenes that reminded me a lot of La Grande Illusion. I just wish that the beginning of the movie had been as enjoyable as the last 30 minutes. It could just be my mood, however, and I'm more than willing to give it a second chance.

New List:

La Dolce Vita or La Strada Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

Andrei Rublev After reading up on this on IMDb it sounds really interesting.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy, you get Burma VJ.

I went in to Andrei Rublev expecting one movie, and got something completely different and way better than I could have imagined. It was exquisite. I'm really glad I waited until I had three and a half hours to spare so I could watch it all in one sitting.

New List:

La Dolce Vita or La Strada Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Wild Bunch I may have actually watched this years ago when I was younger, but I can't remember a thing about it.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev

tokillthesunflower fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 8, 2010

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy, I'm just gonna make this easy on myself and go with the first one on your list, Beau Travail.

Finally, finally, was able to sit down and watch The Conformist, and absolutely loved it. The story, although certainly not weak, definitely took a back seat to the visuals, which were incredibly striking and vibrant and gave the whole film a really surreal, almost whimsical, feeling. I'm sure over time the basic plot to this movie is going to fade from my mind and the cinematography and composition are what's going to stand out.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

The Wild Bunch I may have actually watched this years ago when I was younger, but I can't remember a thing about it.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

MonkeeKong, the only movie I've seen on your list is Eyes Wide Shut, so have at.

Ugetsu was not quite what I was expecting. It was more somber than I thought it would be, and the supernatural aspects of it towards the end caught me a little off guard, but I really enjoyed it. Some of the set pieces were absolutely gorgeous.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Ok, Magic Hate Ball, after long deliberation and several phone calls to various lawmakers, I've decided to give you The Conformist. Have fun!

I really enjoyed The Wild Bunch. Peckinpah's direction was extremely tight, and all the actors were really well-suited to their roles. The last 15 minutes or so, especially the final shoot-out, were aces. I didn't think the movie was going to get that bloody. I read on IMdB that John Wayne said this movie destroyed the myth of the old west, and it pretty well does. It's certainly a lot grittier and a lot more violent than any Wayne movie.

Alright, moving on:

L'Atalante Never heard of this until I started going through TSPDT's list, and I've heard good things about it.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

I just got L'Atalante from the library, penismightier, so that jumped out at me from your list.

Frankly, I just didn't like Jules et Jim. There were a few really great shots, and I love the song that Albert and Catherine sing, but overall I wasn't impressed.

New List:

The Gold Rush or Modern Times Continuing my Chaplin journey.

L'Atalante Never heard of this until I started going through TSPDT's list, and I've heard good things about it.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

You get to watch The Thin Blue Line, dotCommunism.

I really enjoyed Modern Times. Chaplin's physicality and sense of timing haven't failed yet to leave me in stitches. Some of the jokes you could see coming from a mile away, but his facial expressions always sold it.

Also watched L'Atalante from my list, which overall left me feeling rather lukewarm, though I really enjoyed the dancing scene in the bar.

Updated list:

New List:

Wild Strawberries or Persona I know absolutely nothing about either of these except that they are Bergman films.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African
Queen
, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Watch The Maltese Falcon. It's one of my absolute favorite noirs.

La Strada was fantastic. I loved the character of Gelsomina, and found myself relating to her in more ways than I care to admit. The entire story had me from start to finish, especially the last 15 minutes or so, heartbreaking as they were. And I love that he left her the trumpet.

New listy:

La Dolce Vita Fellini is becoming one of my favorite directors.

Wild Strawberries or Persona I know absolutely nothing about either of these except that they are Bergman films.

North by Northwest I've seen parts of this before, and know the basic story.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Mistletoe Donkey, you're right about Bogart, Bacall and Hawks, so go watch The Big Sleep

Persona was an incredibly interesting movie. This is the kind of movie that you can watch multiple times and always find something new to discuss, something you may have missed before. The cinematography was stunning, and Bergman's direction was exquisite. I can't wait til I can sit down and watch it again.

New List:

Wild Strawberries I know absolutely nothing about this except that it is a Bergman film.

Rio Bravo My favorite westerns have always been of the spaghetti variety, so I've never given this one much thought.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona

vvv This is what I get for not double checking. I was thinking Rio Grande.

tokillthesunflower fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 10, 2010

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Once Upon a Time in the West will certainly put you into a cowboy phase.

Just finished Rio Bravo and liked it well enough. I've never been a big John Wayne fan, but I love Howard Hawks, and I thought the supporting cast was great. I also loved the humor of it and the use of music, though the singing scene seemed like it was there only because of Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson and it took me out of the movie a little bit. The ending was a little too clean for me and I didn't like the fact that they just ended with 'Oh, the marshal will be here in a few days, they'll be fine in the jail.' It seemed rather anti-climactic. All in all I did enjoy myself, but I still prefer a grittier western.

New List:

Wild Strawberries I know absolutely nothing about either of these except that they are Bergman films.

The Apartment I'm a fan of most of the people involved in this one, not sure why I haven't watched it yet.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Babette's Feast for you, Peaceful Anarchy.

Wild Strawberries was excellent, and I'm completely sold on Bergman. I don't know that I'll always like his films, but I'm more than willing to watch anything with his name attached to it.

New List:

The Apartment I'm a fan of most of the people involved in this one, not sure why I haven't watched it yet.

Au Hasard Balthazar A movie about a donkey? I'm hesitant to say the least.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries