Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
codyclarke, watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The film is a classic, and not by accident; you'll really enjoy it, no question.

As for me:

Taxi Driver- I love DeNiro, and there is no legitimate reason why I haven't seen this yet.

Oldboy - Very popular vengeance flick, which seems right up my alley.

North by Northwest - I have liked all the other Hitchcock films I've seen immensely (Rear Window and Psycho especially).

Murder on the Orient Express - I love murder/mystery movies, and it's sitting in my netflix instant queue right now. Not sure what's kept me from watching it thus far.

The Abyss - I really like movies having to do with the ocean, but I haven't seen this one all the way through as the DVD player I was watching it on at the time quit, and I lost interest.

The Terminator - I have seen them all besides the original, and liked them all (T3, not as much, but still didn't hate it), so I guess that makes it shameful? I guess I kind of already know how it ends and don't really care to spend the time watching it.

Mean Streets - Seems like I should have seen this by now.

Lawerence of Arabia - Saw it once so long ago that I remember nothing about it now. I have had it sitting in my DVD case for quite a while now, but have just put it off.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I have heard such mixed opinions of it that I have put it off. I did not enjoy A Clockwork Orange, but only because I felt profoundly disturbed watching it. The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket, however, were pretty awesome in my opinion.

For shame....

SKEET SKEET fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
marioinblack, watch 12 Angry Men. In actuality, you need to watch all of the movies on your list (especially Godfather I&II, Cuckoo's nest, and wall-e), but that movie is probably my favorite from your list. Enjoy :)

Just watched Taxi Driver as was ordered up, and I loved it. DeNiro's performance was rock solid. This may seem like a stupid question, but his psychotic "episodes" are attributed to his insomnia, correct?

SKEET SKEET posted:

Taxi Driver
The Searchers - I love westerns, and John Wayne, but I have never seen it.

Oldboy - Very popular vengeance flick, which seems right up my alley.

North by Northwest - I have liked all the other Hitchcock films I've seen immensely (Rear Window and Psycho especially).

Murder on the Orient Express - I love murder/mystery movies, and it's sitting in my netflix instant queue right now. Not sure what's kept me from watching it thus far.

The Abyss - I really like movies having to do with the ocean, but I haven't seen this one all the way through as the DVD player I was watching it on at the time quit, and I lost interest.

The Terminator - I have seen them all besides the original, and liked them all (T3, not as much, but still didn't hate it), so I guess that makes it shameful? I guess I kind of already know how it ends and don't really care to spend the time watching it.

Lawerence of Arabia - Saw it once so long ago that I remember nothing about it now. I have had it sitting in my DVD case for quite a while now, but have just put it off.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I have heard such mixed opinions of it that I have put it off. I did not enjoy A Clockwork Orange, but only because I felt profoundly disturbed watching it. The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket, however, were pretty awesome in my opinion.

For shame....

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Peaceful Anarchy, you should watch Faces for the sole reason that you like the directors' other work. Also, I have never seen or even heard of any of any of the movies you posted. If that isn't an awesome sales pitch, I don't know what is. Sorry If you don't like it, but I have absolutely no basis to go on for any of those :(

As for me, I have managed to cross a few off my list since I last posted. The Searchers was pretty good, but not my favorite John Wayne flick by far. Oldboy was awesome, as expected. Murder on the Orient Express fulfilled my desire for an awesome mystery flick.

Taxi Driver
The Searchers
Das Boot - No excuse other than there hasn't been a convenient time for me to watch it and/or it isn't available for me to watch.

Oldboy
Downfall - I love WWII movies, and I think I may have seen some of this, but not more than a bit of it most likely.

Murder on the Orient Express
Trainspotting - I'll be honest, I am just scrolling IMDB's top 250 looking for movies I haven't seen yet. Not really sure if this is worth a watch or not but I love Snatch, Layer Cake, and Lock, Stock and this seems to be in the same vein of movies.

The Abyss - I really like movies having to do with the ocean, but I haven't seen this one all the way through as the DVD player I was watching it on at the time quit, and I lost interest. I really liked the bit of it that I saw though :)

SKEET SKEET fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 9, 2010

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

Original Uncut seems to be the consensus favorite. Even if you can't find that version specifically, watch the movie anyway. Very good, and to be quite honest, the only one from your list I've seen.

Jeremiah Johnson- Seems like I would like this movie, I kind of like movies about lone-badass types.
2001: A Space Odyssey- I like Kubrick (particularly The Shining and Full Metal Jacket)
Red Cliff- Movie with big battle scenes? Sounds cool enough. People who have seen it seem to like it quite a bit also.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- Westerns are cool
Touching the Void- Highly rated on Netflix instant, sounds cool
Endless Summer- ditto
Lawrence of Arabia- IMDB favorite that I haven't seen yet.

That's all I can think of for now, will add more next time around.

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Mistletoe Donkey, watch The Dirty Dozen. Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin are awesome. Enjoy :)

So I can knock both 2001: A Space Odyssey and Touching the Void off my list, as I had a chance to watch both of them this week. I think I have come to realize that while they are obviously very well made movies with an insane amount of detail and thought put into them, I just won't be able to like all of Kubrick's movies (A Clockwork Orange was another one I didn't care for). As much as I loved FMJ and The Shining, among others, he made some crazy rear end movies and some of them are bound to not be among my favorites.

As for Touching the Void, what a ridiculously improbable story of survival. I mean honestly, this guy had himself one hell of a week and a half. Very well done movie also, the way the inter-weaved the drama and the documentary was well executed without being too overly dramtic. I really, really enjoyed this story.

Jeremiah Johnson- Seems like I would like this movie, I kind of like movies about lone-badass types.
Mean Streets- Love these kinds of movies, and Scorsese is awesome.
Red Cliff- Movie with big battle scenes? Sounds cool enough. People who have seen it seem to like it quite a bit also.
Dial M For Murder- I like Hitchcock, havent' seen this one. Bonus that it is on Netflix Instant right now.
Endless Summer- sounds cool? netflix instant also
Insomnia- Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Christopher Nolan...? I have no idea really if this one is any good or not.
Dog Day Afternoon A classic, I guess?
The Sting- Another classic that I have passed by.

Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Touching the Void

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Peaceful Anarchy, you get to watch Grey Gardens. Looked pretty interesting to me when I was reading the synopsis, so report back :)

I watched Insomnia, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially considering I had zero expectations for it what so ever.

Dial M For Murder- I like Hitchcock, havent' seen this one. Bonus that it is on Netflix Instant right now.

Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Touching the Void, Insomnia

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Mistletoe Donkey, you get Zodiac! I really enjoyed that movie, and I hope you do too.

Knocked both Dial M for Murder and Red Cliff off the list!

Flame and Citron- This movie intrigues me and seems to be fairly well thought of.
Below- Seen all of Aronofsky's other work.
Lawrence of Arabia- for shame, I know. I even own the DVD :(
Vertigo- more Hitchcock I haven't seen.

Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Touching the Void, Dial M for Murder, Red Cliff, Insomnia

edit: Haha, sorry about that I am writing this from work so I was trying to keep it short and sweet, but here goes!

Dial M for Murder was quite good, and up to par with the rest of the Hitchcock movies that I have seen. I can sometimes have a slight case of ADD when it comes to older pictures, but Hitchcock always manages to keep me entertained. I just love Hitchcock's murder mysteries, they are almost a comfort to watch for some reason. I will make it a point to see Vertigo and The Birds soon, as they are probably the two most famous movies that Hitchcock did that I have yet to see.

As for Red Cliff, I have to say I was pretty impressed with the visual effects of the movie. I find it almost impossible for me to evaluate the dialogue and writing in foreign films where I don't speak the language, but the movie was very visually impressive and quite entertaining. The naval battle sequence in the final scene particularly struck me. As a side note, the battle scenes in this movie sounded great on my new surround sound system.

SKEET SKEET fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Penismightier, you get The Americanization of Emily. I've never seen it, but it looks awesome! James Garner is a pimp

Flame and Citron- This movie intrigues me and seems to be fairly well thought of.
Below- Seen all of Aronofsky's other work.
Lawrence of Arabia- for shame, I know. I even own the DVD :(
Vertigo- more Hitchcock I haven't seen.
The Right Stuff- Sounds pretty entertaining.

Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Touching the Void, Dial M for Murder, Red Cliff, Insomnia, The Sting

So, I just finished The Sting, and it was great! Caiman, you were right, that was a very entertaining movie. I never saw the diner girl being one of the hitmen. Robert Redford and Paul Newman were great together in this! Also, Robert Shaw was a pleasant surprise as well, I didn't realize he was in this movie. Good pick Caiman!