Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Arkane posted:

On the Waterfront - I know the speech, the plot outline, and have heard this is one of the great acting performances of all time, but I've just never gotten around to seeing it.

Watch this first. I promise you will love it.

Alright, for me:

Fanny and Alexander
I loved the 7th Seal and from what I read so far I'm sure I will love it. But lately I'm really not in a subtitle mood for some reason.

Lolita

I love Kubrick's movies but for some reason I have never seen this. Bought it like four years ago too. Absolutely no idea why I haven't watched it yet.

The Deerhunter

Apparently a Vietnam-must-see. Just can't get myself to buy and watch it.

The Outsiders

Same as the Deerhunter...

Rear Window

I usually like Hitchcock movies, but I have seen too many remakes of this.

Lawrence of Arabia

No excuse. I really want to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

VelvetEvoker posted:

Well, I've been meaning to get to a lot of movies but I keep putting them off, so I figure this thread'll be good to combat that.

zandert33, go watch Stagecoach. It really is terrific.

1.Mad Max: I've always been interested in this movie and the sequels, but never got around to it.

2.Wall Street: Another one I've been meaning to get to. With the sequel out, I guess it'd be a good time to watch it.

3.Dazed and Confused: Heard good things about it, looks like something I'd like.

4.The Thing: Kurt Russel is awesome, John Carpenter is awesome, there's really no good reason as to why I haven't seen this.

5.Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Been meaning to watch some more Gilliam, heard a lot about this one.

6.Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels: My friend raves about this movie and she has pretty good taste.

7.It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: Heard a ton of good about this one.

8.Heavy Metal: I can go for some trippy animation, I have the soundtrack and like it a lot.

9.Requiem for a Dream: Another thing I've been meaning to watch for a while.

10.Barton Fink: Love the Coen brothers, this is one of the few I haven't seen.

Watch "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". It is SO often quoted and it is one of Johnny Depp's best performances. And it is more of a Hunter S. Thompson than a Gilliam movie...but Thompsons work and Gilliam's directing combined are...something.

So, what did I miss?

1. The Deer Hunter. Apparently one of the great Vietnam movies.

2. The Outsiders

3. Don't look now

4. Wild Strawberries. I love Bergman...should really watch it.

5. The Bridge on the River Kwai. I usually don't like war movies that are that old...but this one has been recommended over and over again.

6. Stagecoach. I like my westerns. A lot.Should really watch it, and if it is just for cinema-historic reasons.

7. Rear Window. Not a Hitchcock fanatic (I love some of his movies but I think the majority is kinda meh) but this has been quoted/redone so often and apparently it is real good. I am also interested in the remake with Cristopher Reeves.

8. 40 Year old virgin. Really not an Apatow fan. At all. Thesse movies are extemely hit and miss for me. Like 90% miss. But everybody I know keeps on telling me I need to see this.

9. The Sound of Music. I LOVE movies from that period, especially musicals. I have literally no idea why I haven't watched this.

10. (Not a movie!) The Sopranos. Watched Season 1. REALLY loved it. It was almost Godfather niveau. But I never watched the other seasons :(

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Electronico6 posted:

:zombie:Infernal Affairs Scorsese remade it so it should be good.

Watch this. It's really, really good.

I have posted here before (once I think), but I can't find the post again so I start over:

1. Wil Strawberries. I love Bergman, no excuses.

2. Ben Hur. Apparently a classic that everyone has seen. Not me!

3. A streetcar named desire. Apparently a classic. I don't know anything about this movie.

4. Tetro. Francis Ford Coppola should be reason enough, but I keep avoiding it.

5. Watership Down (Technically a rewatch, saw it first when I was ~10). I am still too scared to watch this.

6. Dreams (Kurosawa). It's Kurosawa, no excuse.

7. The hidden fortress (see above)

8. Ponyo. I love the Ghibli flicks. I should really watch this.

9. The Great Escape. Apparently it's really good.

10. The Sound of Music. I love Musicals. Pretty sure I need to see this.