Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
I'm going to go in a different direction, Yoshi, and suggest that instead of Annie Hall you watch Crimes and Misdemeaners (hopefully that's cool to do with this thread). I have a love/hate relationship with Allen movies, but that film blew my bollocks off. It's fantastic, and a good reminder that sometimes someone's most notable work isn't their best.

I feel the need to justify mine. Americans have Netflix, RedBox, whatever, but over in Australia film rental has just died and there's pretty much nothing reasonable to replace it (that I know of). If you want a movie, you pretty much have to buy it. I have no money. That said:

1. Seven Samurai - Kurosawa in general, really. I've seen Rashomon, but for some reason I have never crossed paths with his other films.

2. Solaris - I recently saw Stalker (if you need any more shame, it's because I liked S.T.A.L.K.E.R., okay?), which was absolutely amazing and convinced me that I've been missing something by not chasing up Tarkovsky earlier.

3. Chinatown - I know almost nothing about this film save the amazing poster.

4. Touch of Evil - Same boat as everyone else. I've seen the opening shot, which I found intriguing because I wonder how a film could progress from such an ostentatious opener.

5. Unforgiven - I have no excuse for not seeing this one. Love westerns, love Eastwood, and I've seen most of the notable Spaghetti westerns. I've just somehow never moved on from then. I'm not sure I've ever seen a post-1975 western. Mostly because I live near a theatre that plays double-features from a really wide variety of films and despite frequent westerns I'm not sure they've ever played any 80s/90s work.

I'm doing exam stuff at the moment, so I might not be able to watch my suggestion right away, but I'll try to get around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU