Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Dance, Girl, Dance I have no idea about this, but it's certainly something I should see. Dorothy Arzner was a pioneer and I know nothing about her.

Of the nine films I've recommended you have rated them an average of 8.94
A pretty good number.

watched:

Notorious - Seems like it was influential on spy films of the future although this definitely feels nascent and underdeveloped. Memorable ending however.
Alex really got the short end of the stick in the end.

IMDb list:

#129 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#146 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

#154 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - First Oscar best picture winner IIRC. (added 2/10/11)

#155 The Gold Rush - Famous Chaplin movie I've heard about. (added 3/5/11)

#159 The Big Sleep - I've seen mentioned but know very little about it. 4/2/11

#160 The Manchurian Candidate - Haven't seen this or the remake. I remember Ebert citing this a few times on TV. Something about political brainwashing. 4/2/11

#163 Life of Brian - IIRC a friend told me that there is a funny dinner scene in this. 4/2/11

NEW #165 The Kid - Older Chaplin film that I know little about. 4/17/11

#166 Finding Nemo - Saw a little of this on TV and it seemed to be decent. 4/2/11

The Bourne Identity - Technically not on the top 250 but I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #170). 4/7/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Les misérables (1934) Four and a half hours, really?I've never read the book so I have little idea what to expect.

Go with this.

The Big Sleep - This was a good movie. The plot got a little convoluted but I was still very interested to see how everything unraveled. Bogart is basically becoming my favorite pre1960s actor. Martha Vickers is frighteningly sexy in this.

IMDb list:

#129 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#146 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

#154 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - First Oscar best picture winner IIRC. (added 2/10/11)

#160 The Manchurian Candidate - Haven't seen this or the remake. I remember Ebert citing this a few times on TV. Something about political brainwashing. 4/2/11

#163 Life of Brian - IIRC a friend told me that there is a funny dinner scene in this. 4/2/11

#165 The Kid - Older Chaplin film that I know little about. 4/17/11

#166 Finding Nemo - Saw a little of this on TV and it seemed to be decent. 4/2/11

The Bourne Identity - Technically not on the top 250 but I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #170). 4/7/11

new #168 Ikiru - It's been recommended in the past. Just haven't gotten around to it. 4/21/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Budhisattva posted:

The Abyss Greatly anticipating this after being intrigued by the "Making of..." documentary.

I recommend watching the extended edition if possible. Some prefer the theatrical though.

watched:

Into the Wild - It has some nice shots of nature and scenery but beyond that I ultimately see a reckless romantic who loves poetry and literature who goes into the wilderness and dies. Not only that but he has a self-righteous attitude to boot. About his datsun of all things, "my datsun is good enough.. don't you dare buy me another car!" I wasn't too fond of the consistent mishmosh of philosophical rambling narration either.

During one of the funnier scenes. Supertramp sees a civilized man in a suit sitting in a restaurant and panicks and sees his own face transposed onto the body. He then runs out of the local shelter as fast as he can.

I will say that I don't know what percentage of what was portrayed was accurate (if at all) but I didn't like the way the protagonist came across on screen. I think the circumstances of his death undermine the films message. However, the real person did seem to be altruistic in donating all his money. But then did he really burn money out in the wilderness carelessly as well?

The tone of the film reminds me of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and almost seems to be celebrating this troubled guy who runs away from his screwed up family. Why can't he make a 25cent phone call to his sister? I've heard many stories of people "going off the grid" so-to-speak and I've met many "free spirits" who are beholden to no one and have their own strongly definied mantras as to how they approach every facet of life. I think I would've rather seen a story about one of the more competent ones.

Why bring a gun into the wilderness but not a good map/compass?
It got a strong reaction out of me so I guess that's good.

My assignment was Ikiru which coincidentally shares some parallels with Into the Wild (existence, death, desire for significance). It did have a more focused and stronger established thesis.

I've seen enough Kurosawa films to think that if he wasn't a filmmaker he would've been a psychologist. Rashomon (with perception) and this both examine some psychological principles like the fundamental attribution error when the characters try to make sense of Watanabe's motives of the previous months at his wake. Eventually they come to the right conclusion but before that it's interesting to see how they struggle with each other before putting the pieces together.

My one question would be why did the doctors lie about his prognosis?

IMDb list:

#166 Finding Nemo - Saw some of this on TV and it seemed decent. 4/2/11

NEW #171 The Best Years of Our Lives - One of 25 films to win 7+ Oscars. 4/23/11

NEW #172 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

1. Gaslight: I might as well start charging through some classic noir.

Your list has a few movies I'd weigh pretty equally. Go with Gaslight as it's been on your list the longest. Additionally, it's in one of my Grandmothers top 5 favorite movies so don't disappoint her :laugh:

BTW is Gaslight noir? I saw it a while ago and didn't get that vibe. Although I don't even know the explicit definition I guess.

Life of Brian had some funny scenes. Probably my favorite was the coliseum with the title "CHILDREN'S MATINEE." Overall I didn't get into the story that much which is what I expected based on the previous Python movies I've seen. The funny moments override any semblance of a plot. The alien scene was one of the most out of nowhere things I can recall seeing in a film.

IMDb list:

#171 The Best Years of Our Lives - One of 25 films to win 7+ Oscars. 4/23/11

#172 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

new #173 The Wages of Fear - An interesting title for a film. 4/26/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 27, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

electricsugar posted:

The Graduate: This movie is apparently very highly regarded, though the premise seems quite dull to me.

Go with this.

I was just going to watch The Gold Rush before it was recommended to me so that was good timing. It had some funny moments and overall it is one of the better Chaplin films I've seen. The Big Jim character was pretty funny in his scenes. Staring at the boot intently and then eating it and the chicken hallucination scene as well.

I think Modern Times is still my favorite.

IMDb list:

new #109 The King's Speech - Now out on DVD. New best picture. I saw some clips of it on the Academy Awards show. 4/27/11

#173 The Wages of Fear - An interesting title for a film. 4/26/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

2. Wild Strawberries: I should probably just keep a steady stream of Bergman movies in this spot.

I saw this a few months ago and it was pretty good.

The Manchurian Candidate - I didn't get into this too much. It felt more like a parody at times and it definitely tapped into the political climate of the early 60s perfectly and now seems to fall a little flat.

The story unfolds strangely at times. Ben has a line basically like "Jocie, I'm giving you 48 hours!" As if the newlywed can magically reverse engineer the "brainwashing" and "drycleaning" of Raymond that quickly.

Definitely has a memorable ending.

IMDb list:

#109 The King's Speech - Now out on DVD. New best picture. I saw some clips of it on the Academy Awards show. 4/27/11

#173 The Wages of Fear - An interesting title for a film. 4/26/11

NEW #174 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Budhisattva posted:

Fargo The most important Coen Brothers film I've yet to see

I like this one.

The Kid - The way it was shot, the fast motion sequences and even some of the gags reminded me of sketches from a Benny Hill episode. And actually I'm reading that the Charlie Chaplin and Benny Hill both admired each others work.

It kind of fits. e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ4opMyIU-w

The story is very straightforward. I found the flying angel segment near the end to be funny.

also watched:

The Wages of Fear - I liked that 40 minutes into the movie I still had no clue as to where the story was going but I was just watching the surroundings and observing the characters interact and I was fine with it. If you can take that long to jump into the main plot then you're doing something right. (The fact that the film revolves around a bunch of bilingual/trilingual people makes it fun as well). Extra languages add more flavor to most movies.

After that the story of Mario and Luigi and their plumbing..I mean truck driving begins to unfold and dozens of obstacles appear. I liked the scene with Mario driving the truck with clenched teeth completely covered in oil. The gas fire scenes near the end were pretty amazing as well. Most of the film felt well ahead of its time. The ending was a little odd however. Also, I believe the only music the film had was the radio in the truck and in the bar/restaurant.

I never did figure out why Jo attacked Luigi in that bar scene. I also wondered what happened to Smerloff.

I watched some of the extras on the second DVD and I always laugh when I hear about what gets censored by distributors because it usually seems benign and inconsequential. Makes me wonder 50 years from now what people will think of what we cut out of todays films.

IMDb list:

#109 The King's Speech - Now out on DVD. New best picture. I saw some clips of it on the Academy Awards show. 4/27/11

#174 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

new #179 How to Train Your Dragon - I got this confused with "The Water Horse." Apparently this one is all CGI and the other was live-action/CGI. I wouldn't mind owning a water horse as a pet. 5/11/11

new #184 Ratatouille - I thought this was just a run-of-the-mill kids movie about a rat. Maybe it's decent. 5/11/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 12, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

India Song I've read mixed things about this, but I'm intrigued by the idea. Not enough to watch it on my own however, which is where this thread comes in.

Go with this one.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I thought that this was 3 hours long but apparently they added both versions runtime together for that amount because it actually comes in at 94 minutes. I got it in my head that this was going to be a light, airy romance story but it was more of a horror story for the first half hour and then again toward the end.

The film went by pretty fast and some of the effects were excellent for their time.

This is one where it's clearly a shame that most of the original source material has long been lost or destroyed.

My list was being overrun by cartoons so I watched a couple of them as well.

I liked the Ratatouille story. CGI was impressive. I can say it's my second favorite kids movie revolving around rats. First being The Secret of NIMH.

How to Train Your Dragon was OK but the story seemed too familiar and predictable. I would've enjoyed this one if I was really young I imagine. And actually some of the CGI seemed amateurish. The CGI beards on the vikings looked like bad video game animation from some game I would've played on my PC years ago.

IMDb list:

NEW #85 Black Swan - Newer film that I've heard some buzz about. I almost saw it in the theaters and it's now out on DVD and off the "short wait" for Netflix. Finally the last film of the IMDb top 100. I'm guessing some new movie gets upvoted right before I see this as has happened the last few times I've been on the cusp of greatness. 5/18/11

#112 The King's Speech - Now out on DVD. New best picture. I saw some clips of it on the Academy Awards show. 4/27/11

#167 Finding Nemo - Saw some of this on TV and it seemed decent. 4/2/11

#170 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

#171 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#172 The Best Years of Our Lives - One of 25 films to win 7+ Oscars. 4/23/11

The Bourne Identity - Technically not on the top 250 but I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #173). 4/7/11

NEW #182 Diabolique - I was supposed to watch this ~5 years ago and forgot about it. 5/18/11

NEW #183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Gojira Seen Gamera courtesy of MST3K, the remake but never the original.

Go with this one.

Black Swan was interesting at times but I think I found myself laughing too much at things that weren't supposed to be funny (every time she starts to morph). The whole cast had good performances.

The ending scenes kind of reminded me of the ending of Fight Club. Coming to a new realization or revelation.

IMDb list:

#112 The King's Speech - Now out on DVD. New best picture. I saw some clips of it on the Academy Awards show. 4/27/11

#171 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

The Bourne Identity - Technically not on the top 250 but I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #173). 4/7/11

#182 Diabolique - I was supposed to watch this ~5 years ago and forgot about it. 5/18/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#185 My Neighbor Totoro - Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away were both remarkable so my expectations are high. 5/21/11

:smug::
IMDb Top 100

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

penismightier posted:

The Winning of Barbara Worth The last great silent western. I really oughta see this.

I choose this.

I'll just spoiler the whole thing.

Diabolique - Certain aspects reminded me of pieces of Sleeping with the Enemy and Thelma and Louise. Of course this plot is much more direct and cynical at the beginning than either of those as they go straight for the jugular so-to-speak. That murder scene is on par with Psycho. I wasn't expecting the ending so it genuinely surprised me. I had been guessing that Nicole was trying to frame Christina. The actual ending was almost a little too unbelievable.

My one complaint would be that the detective does an "lol, gotcha!" right at the ending so abruptly. If they'd gone that far why didn't they just kill that old detective?

PS Is that guy listening to the radio to a 1950s French version of "Who wants to be a millionaire?"

I also see this just came out on blu-ray a few days ago.

IMDb list:

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#185 My Neighbor Totoro - Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away were both remarkable so my expectations are high. 5/21/11

new #186 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

Electronico6 posted:

What other Godzilla movies are worth checking out?

Son of Godzilla is a good movie for kids.
Godzilla vs. Megalon has some funny moments as well.
I also liked one of the Mechagodzilla ones. I can't remember which though.
I should make a Godzilla slot so people can force me to watch all of them.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 26, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The shame game 1 year anniversary was yesterday. :toot:

Hra Mormo posted:

#9. Rain Man For the longest time I thought I'd seen it, turns out I had it mixed up with another movie.

Go with this one.

My Neighbor Totoro - This started a little slowly but got better. The first third of the movie was just basically Mei and Satsuki chasing around dust bunnies and acorns.

Totoro had some funny scenes. I liked the umbrella/Catbus sequence at the bus stop. Animation was good as well.

IMDb list:

#186 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

#188 The Night of the Hunter - Never even heard of it besides the references in the thread. 6/2/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

5) It's A Wonderful Life- always avoided it because I thought it seemed cheesy, but I keep hearing good things

It's June but still an easy recommendation. It has small doses of cheese but not nearly as much as some other films.

The Best Years of Our Lives - I once thought it'd be interesting to see a movie about soldiers coming home like this and seeing how they integrated back into society. Well, it's been done.

I remember a WWII veteran coming to my high school and talking about the Battle of the Bulge and many other events he went through while in Europe. One of the things that stuck out was him describing the ridiculously lavish, weeklong parties he partook in after the war finally ended. Jumping in a pool of beer etc. He described people staying up for days and getting drunk and being high on adrenaline for weeks just because they'd made it out alive. It was a strange experience to come out of because many soldiers were pretty sure they'd get blown up or shot because they'd seen so many of their friends meet that fate.
So when some of the characters in the film were doing the barhopping I was reminded of the stories that guy told.

The film comes in at just under 3 hours long. It weaves in and out of the lives of three servicemen who keep running into each other in their small town. All of them have unique problems to overcome.

There was a lot of mediocre acting in the film but not enough to detract from the overall story too much. It's easy to see that Harold Russell (Homer) isn't a very capable actor.

Also watched:

Witness for the Prosecution - Another good Wilder movie. Not my favorite by any means because I've grown very tired of courtroom scenes and the usual histrionics that come with them. It's one of those settings I get more weary of year by year. But that's only half the film. I liked the story of the barrister who can't give up his profession to even save his life. The first half hour involves him simply trying to get up the stairs on his electric chair to begrudgingly take a nap. He also sports a glowing and shiny monocle that I wouldn't mind questioning people with myself.

The last ten minutes or so I didn't see coming. I guess the end result was predictable but the roundabout way it happened was special. I also noticed one scene that was evidently parodied by Blazing Saddles some years later.

Was blood type admissable as court evidence back then? Much less precise than our DNA of today.

The Bourne Identity - This was a fun ride and hit all the right notes with timing and pacing. One I would've liked to see in the theaters. I liked the way they portrayed the CIA (both humorously at times and sinisterly as well). Good interaction between the characters..lots in this genre are just 2 hour long car chases. A lot of interesting exterior shots and an atypical car choice for much of the film. If it was Bond or the transporter he would've no doubt been driving some $100K+ car.

IMDb list:

#186 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

#188 The Night of the Hunter - Never even heard of it besides the references in the thread. 6/2/11

NEW #192 The Social Network - Not a big facebook fan nor biopic fan. If the facebook creator is portrayed as a villain this could be good. 6/8/11

NEW #193 The Battle of Algiers - One of the few Movies of the Month I haven't seen. Put this off way too long. 6/8/11

NEW #196 The Killing - Older Kubrick movie I believe. 6/8/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

North by Northwest Only two to go on the Grant-Hitchcock library.

This one is memorable.

The Killing - The narration was a little overbearing at times. I didn't understand 75% of what Maurice said but this was offset by his fight scene. At least Maurice wasn't doing the narrating.

The ending stands out but it flat out irked me (and I do have to question the logic). I knew that dog was going to do something ruinous. Bad dog!

IMDb list:

#114 The King's Speech - Now out on DVD. New best picture. I saw some clips of it on the Academy Awards show. 4/27/11

#167 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#168 Finding Nemo - Saw some of this on TV and it seemed decent. 4/2/11

#192 The Battle of Algiers - One of the few Movies of the Month I haven't seen. Put this off way too long. 6/8/11

new #197 La Strada - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

#198 The Social Network - Not a big facebook fan nor biopic fan. If the facebook creator is portrayed as a villain this could be good. 6/8/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son Not really a fan of the two Ken Jacobs shorts I've seen, but this seems like essential avant garde cinema.

Seems like very few have seen this.

The King's Speech - The film sets looked good but I didn't find the story too compelling or interesting considering what it revolves around. A king consistently whining about his shortcomings and occasionally throwing his royalty in the face of the guy trying to help. All the conflicts felt forced, predictable and strange particularly when the King threatens to charge Lionel with treason for not telling him that he wasn't a doctor.

Churchill also makes frequent appearances with a variety of strange faces.

I also found it absurdly humorous that the films soundtrack is mostly by German/Austrian composers.

IMDb list:

#167 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#192 The Battle of Algiers - One of the few Movies of the Month I haven't seen. Put this off way too long. 6/8/11

new #196 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 The Road - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

#198 The Social Network - Not a big facebook fan nor biopic fan. If the facebook creator is portrayed as a villain this could be good. 6/8/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 17, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

This has been on your list for 6+ months.

The Social Network was an okay movie. I knew the basic outline of the story prior so it wasn't that revelatory. I found the way the twins were portrayed to be insulting. They'll probably sue the filmmakers.

There's one movie trope that I've seen too much and I call it the "party shot." This occurs anywhere there's a giant party and the camera pans overhead and then loud music drowns out all conversation and people are all drunk and having a great old time! I'm tired of seeing that in films. It was cool in 1995 but not now.

As far as "historical films" about technology I think my favorite is still "Pirates of Silicon Valley" as it dealt more with the technology rather than college parties.

also watched: The Night of the Hunter - I wasn't expecting this type of film at all really. It had a few memorable scenes but the way the story played out didn't excite me or do much for me. From everything I watched on the supplements it seems most preferred watching it as a youngster and being scared of the evil preacher. The preacher did vaguely remind me of Kane from the Poltergeist series.

http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/o/lotearms.htm Preachers favorite hymn.

IMDb list:

#165 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#169 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

#185 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

#196 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 The Road - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

NEW #199 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

NEW #200 Dial M for Murder - Another tennis player murder mystery? Hitchcock must've had something against tennis. 6/22/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 22, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Battle of Algiers - Pretty good movie. I've seen a lot of occupier films before but most have been concerning Germans/Russians because Nazism and Communism make good archetypical enemies in the collective consciousness of our culture (and sell tickets). But this one candidly humanizes the symbiotic relationship a lot more and it's concerning the French. It's a shame what the human race does to each other.

I do have a question. How are the supplements on the 2nd and 3rd disc of the criterion? I may want to watch them if they're good. I noticed a lot of prominent directors take part.

IMDb list:

#165 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#185 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

#196 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 The Road AKA La Strada - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

#199 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#200 Dial M for Murder - Another tennis player murder mystery? Hitchcock must've had something against tennis. 6/22/11

new #201 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Clearly I am. 6/26/11

Necc0 posted:

8. Any of the Indiana Jones films - I think I completely missed these by chance as a kid, and never got around to watching any of them as a grown up.

Watch Raiders of the Lost Ark

Necc0 posted:

Edit: are you allowed to double post? that seems like cheating.

You mean recommend yourself a movie? No one has done that but a lot of people will watch a few on their list if they get curious.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Also, no one calls La Strada "The Road," it took me several minutes to figure out what film that was.

It seems like most like to retain the original title if it's short and contains just one definite article and one noun/verb. e.g. El Topo, La Strada, Das Boot, Ikiru (To Live) But if it gets any more complex than that then it's ditched (at least on IMDb). For uniformity I've adopted English 100% of the time.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 27, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

Aside from Toy Story 3, has there ever been a sequel made more than ten years later that was good?.

I haven't seen it but a lot say that Psycho II is excellent. 23 year span.
I recommend Taxi Driver.

Finding Nemo - The story was pretty good. I think my problem was with the fish themselves. They were all hyperactive/ADHD/brain damaged etc. Probably overcompensated to help kids with short attention spans but I'd had enough. Those fish needed sedatives.

also watched: Judgment at Nuremberg - I kept oscillating between ambivalence and interest with this one. Definitely some memorable moments and definitely a few hyper histrionic moments. It almost felt too big a subject to be dealt with in 3 hours. Every character took on a distinct personality and viewpoint. It really was a smörgåsbord of beliefs. The inclusion of the real camp footage was unexpected.

IMDb list:

new The Bourne Supremacy - I liked the first film. I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #173) 7/1/11

#197 The Road AKA La Strada - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

#199 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#200 Dial M for Murder - Another tennis player murder mystery? Hitchcock must've had something against tennis. 6/22/11

#201 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Clearly I am. 6/26/11

new #205 A Streetcar Named Desire - Is this the one where Brando keeps screaming "Stella?!" 7/1/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - This movie has a raw emotional attitude about it and it plays out like a bad dream. Taylor and Burton's interactions reminded me of the husband and wife in Creepshow (Hal Holbrook and Adrienne Barbeau). Overall, too much arguing for my tastes.

The film should be shown at AA meetings.
There were a lot of funny quotes as well:

"Why Martha your Sunday chapel dress!"

"I dance like the wind!"

also watched:

Dial M for Murder was decent. When I just read the title I thought this was written by Sue Grafton (A is for Alibi, F is for Fugitive et al.) Comparing this with the rest of Hitchcock films (ninth one I've seen) this was kind of middle-of-the-road on the scale of greatness. But still worth seeing. Like Rear Window it stays in one locale 95% of the time (not to its detriment). I liked Grace Kelly in this as well.

Near the end I knew I'd heard the story elsewhere before or seen clips of it somehow. But it didn't spoil the ending for me really.

I was wondering why they had an intermission only 50 minutes in and that was explained on extra features on the DVD (3D technical issues). Also, funny to realize one closeup of the phone was actually a giant phone and giant thumb during one scene for 3D as well.

IMDb list:

The Bourne Supremacy - I liked the first film. I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #173) 7/1/11

#205 A Streetcar Named Desire - Is this the one where Brando keeps screaming "Stella?!" 7/1/11

new #206 The Wild Bunch - I got this confused with The Misfits at some point. I haven't seen either however. 7/10/11

new #207 The Incredibles - I remember hearing that this was a Libertarian opus of sorts. One of the few Pixar films I haven't seen. 7/10/11

Electronico6 posted:

Gone with the Wind It's so long...

Yes, it is long. I think I watched it over two days.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 10, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Budhisattva posted:

All That Jazz Seen this movie mentioned a lot recently

Go with this one.

The Wild Bunch - This starts off almost like a gunfight parody with the amount of gunshots being fired.

The good: There's not much pretense with this. I had zero clue how things were going to play out as they transpired. Very whimsical.

The bad: I've never seen so many dumb doofus characters in a film before. Every other line out of these slackjawed incompetent yokels is "egg-sucking, yella bellied." After they insult each other for a few minutes the conversations always end with a round of guffawing and grimey-teethed stares at one other.

By the ending scenes of the film I was reminded a lot of The Underdogs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Underdogs_%28novel%29 which covers the same time period that is depicted in the film. If you're interested on the subject of revolution, politics, ideals and fighting I recommend it. It's an easy read and gives a good idea of the mindset and culture of the time.

I read that the film budget was only $6million. Seems very low but maybe my inflation adjustments (in my head) are wrong.

also watched:

La Strada - Had a few brilliant moments. The characters were all unforgettable and the fool was one of the funnier guys I can recall seeing in a film in the last few years. I'm starting to understand Fellini a little more and it was probably a mistake to watch 8½ first of all his films. It was a MOTM a few years ago so I'll just blame Magic Hate Ball heh.

IMDb list:

#162 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#167 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

The Bourne Supremacy - I liked the first film. I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #174) 7/1/11

#195 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#205 A Streetcar Named Desire - Is this the one where Brando keeps screaming "Stella?!" 7/1/11

new #207 Stalag 17 - Apparently the first sixteen films aren't as good. 7/16/11

#208 The Incredibles - I remember hearing that this was a Libertarian opus of sorts. One of the few Pixar films I haven't seen. 7/10/11

new #209 In Bruges - I don't know how to pronounce the title. 7/16/11

PS Has the book barn or NMD ever done a thread like this?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

That's a good idea. I feel that NMD's would move insanely fast, whereas The Book Barn's would creep by sans some super-readers. I'm still in support of either, since I've been trying to decide on some reading material lately.

I'm sure there's some speed readers in there. Some people knockout books like nothing.

I'd probably participate in the book one but I'd probably do a few per year at most.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jonnykungfu posted:

Fanny and Alexander - The length scares me off, though I know I'll love it.

I recommend watching the full length 312 minute version.

The Incredibles - I enjoyed this one. It definitely had a James Bond vibe to it at times. I would've liked to see more "supers" but maybe that would've taken the film in a wrong direction and maybe they didn't want to show a lot of them and then have the omnidroid inevitably kill them off.

I didn't see a strong Libertarian thesis anywhere in the film but you could easily find one if you were looking for it. Just like you could view it as a civics study.

also watched: The Bourne Supremacy - This was a good sequel. Had some surprises I didn't see coming. My least favorite part was the chase sequence near the end. I don't even know what makes a good or bad sequence really. They all contain lots of cars and people dodging and screaming but sometimes they don't work.

I think I find these somewhat unique because the CIA and other governmental agencies are primarily portrayed as dirtbags when in most mainstream films they're not. I'm amused that Bourne continually harasses and outdoes his former bosses.

IMDb list:

#162 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#195 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#207 Stalag 17 - Apparently the first sixteen films aren't as good. 7/16/11

#209 In Bruges - I don't know how to pronounce the title. 7/16/11

new #210 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

new #212 Kind Hearts and Coronets - The title does not tickle my fancy. 7/21/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jonnykungfu posted:

Goodbye, Dragon Inn - Really enjoyed The Wayward Cloud, but I wonder if his style will be interesting with out all the hilarious boning.

I haven't seen any of your ten but for the amount of talk I've heard about this it surprisingly has the least amount of IMDb votes.

A Streetcar Named Desire - This one didn't do much for me. The more of these hailed Brando films I see the less I'm impressed. Sure, he has a presence on the screen but one of the all-time greats?

also watched:

The Secret in Their Eyes - I liked the characters but didn't get too engrossed in the story and lost interest about halfway through. Although the ending was a little humorous.

Sandoval reminded me of an Argentinian Mo Rocca for some reason (maybe just the glasses) and his scenes nearly turned the film into a comedy. I did like the "Tema de Liliana" track.

IMDb list:

new Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Looks like a Harry Potter film has entered the top 250. I guess I should watch the series. If younger I may have gotten into reading the books or watching the films. I remember being at someones house and seeing parts of the first one but I don't remember anything except some sort of flying soccer match and someone threatening his parents and sending them flying away (it's not surprising these are popular with the children). At least I'll start to understand the zillions of references thrown around the last decade. 8/4/11

#210 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#212 Kind Hearts and Coronets - The title does not tickle my fancy. 7/21/11

new #214 Barry Lyndon - I remember hearing about this when one of Ryan O'Neal's sons went onto Larry King Live and berated his dad for making him watch this. Ryan O'Neal gave his son some drugs so that he'd make it through the film. 8/4/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 4, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zandert33 posted:

6. Amadeus:
I know there are multiple cuts, so if you pick this please let me know which cut a first time viewer should see.

Your current list has a lot I really like but I'll say this. I've seen the theatrical version 3-4 times and I'd recommend that. I haven't seen the newer version that has been released more recently.

The Hustler - My stepgrandfather was Wisconsin state amateur Pool champion a few times in the 50s so I thought about him a little when I watched this. He died in the late 1980s before I really got a chance to know him that well.

I liked the first 40 minutes with Fast Eddie vs. The Fat Man but I found the film played out in a depressing way. Newman's character has an interesting and uncommon character arc. By the time he's figured out the secret to winning he's been hurt and seems ambivalent to it.

IMDb list:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Looks like a Harry Potter film has entered the top 250. I guess I should watch the series. If younger I may have gotten into reading the books or watching the films. I remember being at someones house and seeing parts of the first one but I don't remember anything except some sort of flying soccer match and someone threatening his parents and sending them flying away (it's not surprising these are popular with the children). At least I'll start to understand the zillions of references thrown around the last decade. 8/4/11

#210 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#214 Barry Lyndon - I remember hearing about this when one of Ryan O'Neal's sons went onto Larry King Live and berated his dad for making him watch this. Ryan O'Neal gave his son some drugs so that he'd make it through the film. 8/4/11

new #217 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

caiman posted:

That's pretty cool. All that's missing is a video review and video recommendation via youtube.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jonnykungfu posted:

Les Enfants Terribles - Melville plus Cocteau sounds awesome.

Haven't seen any of your 10. Go with this.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - I did find it similar to Snatch. It had some funny dialogue and it was a little too silly at times. I liked the woman who kept emerging and submerging back into the couch.

Vas Blackwood stood out as an actor I hadn't heard of before.

IMDb list:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Looks like a Harry Potter film has entered the top 250. I guess I should watch the series. If younger I may have gotten into reading the books or watching the films. I remember being at someones house and seeing parts of the first one but I don't remember anything except some sort of flying soccer match and someone threatening his parents and sending them flying away (it's not surprising these are popular with the children). At least I'll start to understand the zillions of references thrown around the last decade. 8/4/11

#214 Barry Lyndon - I remember hearing about this when one of Ryan O'Neal's sons went onto Larry King Live and berated his dad for making him watch this. Ryan O'Neal gave his son some drugs so that he'd make it through the film. 8/4/11

#217 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

new #218 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

I saw the 135 minute version (the longer one). Newsweek calls it "A mini-Chinatown! Visually stunning and stylistically extravagant!"

Personally I call Chinatown a "mini-The Killing of a Chinese Bookie!"

In Bruges - Bruges rhymes with luge and rouge. This one was a little strange. I did like the first hour but I found myself not caring as to how it played out and it seemed for every funny scene there was a lukewarm/flat scene that was not that humorous. Also, I haven't seen this much dwarf humor since Living in Oblivion. Trivially, the dwarf in this film (Jordan Prentice) was one of those that portrayed Howard T. Duck in Howard the Duck.

These types of films I always measure up against A Fish Called Wanda.

IMDb list:

#217 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#218 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

new #219 Ed Wood - I've seen a few youtube clips from this and it seems funny.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chili posted:

10. Vertigo

It's worth seeing.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - I was a little concerned after Electronico6 apologized for recommending this but it wasn't bad at all. If I was younger I may've been a big fan (probably not to the point of going to a Harry Potter shutin).

The story itself kept moving along quickly for being 2.5 hours long and it was an amalgam of many, many other works: Carrie, Matilda, Star Wars, The Sword in the Stone, Top Gun, LotR and Greek/Roman mythology.

It seems that Quidditch should have multiple fatalities every game.

IMDb list:

#184 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#196 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#211 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#212 Barry Lyndon - I remember hearing about this when one of Ryan O'Neal's sons went onto Larry King Live and berated his dad for making him watch this. Ryan O'Neal gave his son some drugs so that he'd make it through the film. 8/4/11

#213 Kind Hearts and Coronets - The title does not tickle my fancy. 7/21/11

#218 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#219 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

new #220 Sherlock Jr. - The General is the only Buster Keaton film I've seen. The train sequences were excellent for their time. 8/13/11

#225 Ed Wood - I've seen a few youtube clips from this and it seems funny. 8/11/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jonnykungfu posted:

The Saragossa Manuscript - Sounds awesome, but dense as hell, so I've been putting it off.

Haven't seen any of your ten.

Kind Hearts and Coronets - I thought this might be a very stuffy movie but it had a lot of humor. Two scenes that stuck out were the "mantrap" scene where they catch a poacher and also the scene where Louis Mazzini speaks gibberish to pretend as if he knows another language. I can't recall an actor playing more roles but there probably has been one.

IMDb list:

new #174 The Bourne Ultimatum - The first two in the series were good. 8/17/11

#184 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#196 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#211 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#212 Barry Lyndon - I remember hearing about this when one of Ryan O'Neal's sons went onto Larry King Live and berated his dad for making him watch this. Ryan O'Neal gave his son some drugs so that he'd make it through the film. 8/4/11

#218 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#219 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

#220 Sherlock Jr. - The General is the only Buster Keaton film I've seen. The train sequences were excellent for their time. 8/13/11

#225 Ed Wood - I've seen a few youtube clips from this and it seems funny. 8/11/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chili posted:

Psycho

You have a lot of significant ones on your list but this is probably my favorite of them.

Barry Lyndon - There seemed to be an extra level of realism and authenticity for this kind of film. Barry makes frequent mistakes and the twists are so simple that they're impossible to guess. I haven't seen "Catch Me If You Can" yet but this may be similar.

I love these movies that take you into another world. Fictional but a world that could very well have existed. Does that make sense?

other notes:

They may have overdone it a little with the amount of narration.
Ryan O'Neal appears to be playing a 1760s and 1770s version of himself and looks like Val Kilmer at times.
I predicted the horse disaster. Kind of reminded me of Gone With the Wind's pony issue.
I liked that some of the music was played throughout with different instruments.

Also watched:

Gandhi - This was excellent and brilliant at times. Lots of recognizable actors. Possibly the best biographical film I've seen and one of the better historical ones. There's a lot of wisdom in this film. I wish more biopics were like this. I think part of the problem is that so many are on stars and celebrities that while they're famous they just really aren't that special or consequential or important in the grand scheme of things.

I loved that when Gandhi was put in front of a court he didn't scream and try to defend himself histrionically (like any character in any other film) and merely says:

"I have no defense, My Lord. I am guilty as charged. And if you truly believe in the system of law you administer in my country, you must inflict on me the severest penalty possible."

Is Ian Charleson in anything else good? Besides of course Chariots of Fire.

IMDb list:

#174 The Bourne Ultimatum - The first two in the series were good. 8/17/11

#220 Sherlock Jr. - The General is the only Buster Keaton film I've seen. The train sequences were excellent for their time. 8/13/11

new #226 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

new #227 Infernal Affairs - If Jack Nicholson's role in The Departed was based on a predecessor in this I'll probably like it. 8/25/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

marioinblack posted:

1. Fast Times at Ridgemont High - All I know is a bunch of Best Actor's came out of this film.

I've always found this one interesting because if you watch it on TV it's pretty much a standard comedy (they cut out a lot) but the theatrical has more depth.

Sherlock Jr. - I liked the movie within a movie scenes the most. The trick photography was impressive. I was amused but wasn't blown away by it.

also:

Stalag 17 - Reminded me of a junior version of The Great Escape in some ways. It was pretty good but I could've done with less of the Animal character. I found him grating after a while.

IMDb list:

#226 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#227 Infernal Affairs - If Jack Nicholson's role in The Departed was based on a predecessor in this I'll probably like it. 8/25/11

new #228 Manhattan - It seems that I've seen Woody Allen's lesserknowns more than his big hits.

new #229 The Celebration - I read the plot and I can't reconcile it with the title. For it being relatively new it's strange I haven't heard anything about it before really besides a few mentions in this thread.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Atheistdeals.com posted:

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

The ending always creeps me out. One of the more memorable themes too.

Ed Wood - I just received this through Netflix a few days ago. The interplay between Depp and Landau was good. They shared a lot of funny scenes together. I felt as if I was watching the real people that were portrayed.

I've only seen Plan 9 from Outer Space prior to this. I should watch a few of his others sometime.

IMDb list:

#226 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#227 Infernal Affairs - If Jack Nicholson's role in The Departed was based on a predecessor in this I'll probably like it. 8/25/11

#228 Manhattan - It seems that I've seen Woody Allen's lesserknowns more than his big hits. 8/31/11

#229 The Celebration - I read the plot and I can't reconcile it with the title. For it being relatively new it's strange I haven't heard anything about it before really besides a few mentions in this thread. 8/31/11

new Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - First one was entertaining enough. One down seven to go. 9/1/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Been out for a few weeks as I was troubleshooting my PC that broke. I ended up building a new one.

The Celebration - Knowing anything beyond the title of this film is going to diminish it for first viewings. The Netflix description and even the MPAA rating screen gave too much information.

This was very voyeuristic and experiential and shot from a lot of "fly on the wall" angles. It feels as if these are all real events taking place. In this respect it reminded me of the "Look" TV series on Showtime that follows people through security cameras.

After the first half hour the film unfolded the way I expected it to. It reminded me of a boxing match. The two fighters being Christian and Helge of course. Each time Christian is shot down and brushed off he retreats and comes back with a larger, more explicit revelation.

I did notice that the film was fullscreen and looked almost amateurish at times. I came across the Dogme95 movement. Kind of interesting but maybe a little too dogmatic.

The sixth tenet of this movement is "The film must not contain superficial action (murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)" I don't know why murders/weapons are considered superficial.

It was an interesting change of pace from the typical mainstream top 250 film.

PS I have a certain side interest any time I watch Swedish/Scandinavian films as a lot of my family emigrated from there in the last century. I'd like to visit it sometime but I don't know the language.

IMDb list:

#228 Manhattan - It seems that I've seen Woody Allen's lesserknowns more than his big hits. 8/31/11

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - First one was entertaining enough. One down seven to go. 9/1/11

new #230 Children of Men - Another newer one I haven't gotten around to yet. Don't know anything about it really. 9/17/11

Atheistdeals.com posted:

8. Forbidden Planet - More classic sci-fi.

This one is getting a lot of recommendations on here lately. I saw it when I was much younger but I actually just got it from Netflix myself to rewatch in the next couple of days hopefully.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 18, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

penismightier posted:

Body Heat I got nothin'

Haven't seen any of your 10.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - This was silly and amusing at times. Harry Potter is one of the few people his age who wants to go to school it seems.

With all that Potter has done through the first two movies he should be put on the staff at this point. He's accomplished more victories in two films than all the bumbling faculty put together (do they ever do anything in the series)? I'm finding the rivalry betwen the Slytherin to be forced and boring. Every time I see a scene with Harry and Draco it feels like a parody of a Top Gun scene between Maverick and Iceman.

Dobby seems like a reject Gollum.
Hermione the cat was humorous.
Gilderoy is a doofus.

IMDb list:

#230 Children of Men - Another newer one I haven't gotten around to yet. Don't know anything about it really. 9/17/11

new #231 Roman Holiday - Heard it referenced a TON but never seen it. 9/22/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Red Angel Criticker says I'll love it and I've never seen a Masumura film.

I haven't seen any of your ten. But you already know that heh.

Manhattan - This was okay but it didn't make me laugh too much. Whereas, Annie Hall had dozens of memorable quotes I can't really pick out any in this. And this has to be the fourth of fifth Keaton/Allen pairing I've seen. Maybe I'm growing tired of the tandem. I didn't get into the relationship issues at all really either.

My favorite parts were of the NYC shots which were most common at the beginning and the end of the film.

IMDb list:

#230 Children of Men - Another newer one I haven't gotten around to yet. Don't know anything about it really. 9/17/11

#231 Roman Holiday - Heard it referenced a TON but never seen it. 9/22/11

new #235 Rope - I haven't checked but Hitchcock may have the most directorial appearances on the IMDb 250. 9/28/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Dark City I hear this one is like The Matrix. But actually good.

Only one I've seen from your list.

Children of Men - Pretty good movie. Some of the battle scenes/skirmishes were ochestrated really well. Makes you feel like you're in the middle of a civil war. I really had no clue where the story was going to go so that's always a plus as well.

It was almost a little too bleak.

I believe this is the 100th film I've watched because of this thread.

IMDb list:

#178 The Bourne Ultimatum - The first two in the series were good. 8/17/11

#195 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#212 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#219 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#222 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

#223 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#228 Infernal Affairs - If Jack Nicholson's role in The Departed was based on a predecessor in this I'll probably like it. 8/25/11

#235 Rope - I haven't checked but Hitchcock may have the most directorial appearances on the IMDb 250. 9/28/11

new #237 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I think I have a VHS of this somewhere but I never got around to it. Over the years I've inherited a ton of ancient VHS tapes from various relatives. But nearly all of them are fullscreen obviously so I should probably junk them. Grandparents had a real old satellite dish that picked up EVERYthing and they taped like mad throughout the 80s. 10/4/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Seven Need to work on my Fincher back catalog.

That's funny when I saw "Midnight Cowboys" on your list I thought it was some other film I hadn't seen. I couldn't decide between Se7en and Midnight Cowboy so I flipped a coin and got Se7en.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Stewart and Wayne make an interesting dichotomy. The one thing I could never figure out was whether or not Liberty Valance recognized Ransom Stoddard from their earlier encounter.

I saw a few parallels with this and High Noon but I liked this a little more. Lee Van Cleef was in this as well. He always seems underused in these films.

I could've done with a lot less "PILGRIM." I don't think I've heard a nickname used that much in any film. Beyond that I didn't get into the statehood story too much. It all seemed secondary and strangely tacked on at the end.

also watched:

The Bourne Ultimatum - I really didn't like the way this started off. We must've visted 10 locations in the first fifteen minutes and it was beginning to feel like a spy parody.

It got a little better as time went on and soon it was round 3 of Bourne vs. CIA dirtbags et al. I guess my one problem was Nicky Parsons switching sides midway through the film.

IMDb list:

#195 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#212 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#219 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#222 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

#223 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#228 Infernal Affairs - If Jack Nicholson's role in The Departed was based on a predecessor in this I'll probably like it. 8/25/11

#235 Rope - I haven't checked but Hitchcock may have the most directorial appearances on the IMDb 250. 9/28/11

new #238 Sleuth (1972) - Don't know anything about it. 10/12/11

new #239 Shutter Island - Looked like a run-of-the-mill mystery. 10/12/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Midnight Cowboy Cowboys eh?

I think I saw a chunk of Hamlet in school but not the whole thing so go with this.

Roman Holiday - This is a first-rate movie in pretty much every measurable way. Legitimately funny, sad and magical scenes. One of the better ones I've seen from this thread. The plot is similar to that of "It Happened One Night" but this has a great backdrop. I really wasn't sure how it would end. I could say more but it's all been said before.

IMDb list:

#238 Sleuth (1972) - Don't know anything about it. 10/12/11

#239 Shutter Island - Looked like a run-of-the-mill mystery. 10/12/11

new #240 Patton - I've seen the opening shot and heard the speech before but nothing else. The opening seemed kind of ridiculous. 10/19/11

mid posted:

...I just watched the Mel Brooks & Dick Cavett special that HBO aired when I realized I have never seen this.

I saw that recently too and it was entertaining. I like when stars/celebrities talk candidly like they were.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

The driver sounded like Chris Farley's motivational speaker character...

:lol: if you haven't seen "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" be prepared to meet him again.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Only Son Let's watch some more Ozu.

This doesn't have many IMDb votes.

Rope - Could be the creepiest duo I've seen in a film. The way Brandon talks about murdering was pretty authentic to what I've seen serial killers say before. I was reminded of the BTK killer (Dennis Rader). The excitement of murdering and the power that comes along with it and the desire to continue to push the envelope in making the murder more challenging. Brandon ups the ante in about five ridiculous ways as the film goes along. His downfall was similar to that of BTK's. When I read that this was based on an actual story it didn't surprise me at all.

I haven't seen many but this is my favorite pre-1950 Hitchcock film so far. It had to be a breeze to edit this film. 12 cuts supposedly?

also watched:

Mystic River - This was fair but a large aspect of the film revolves around detectives and that part seemed unrealistic to me. These are supposed to be homicide detectives and they just came across as incompotent.

The ending felt a little stilted and all the stories are resolved in strange ways. The "you're a king" scene. Yes, if only every wife could be so understanding.

The more I'm thinking about the film the more it's falling apart. Is it just some sort of commentary on twisted nihilistic justice?

The Passion of Joan of Arc - It seemed as if the first half hour was constant closeups of judges making smug faces and Joan with a forlorn look. I found it to be another depressing film which shows what happens when two sides of a religious/political debate won't budge. It leads to paranoia and hysteria and then death. But who really knows how things transpired exactly back then. We're talking 600 years in the midst of a giant war.

IMDb list:

#240 Patton - I've seen the opening shot and heard the speech before but nothing else. The opening seemed kind of ridiculous. 10/19/11

new #241 Ip Man - This has been getting some good reviews. Thought it was some IT film when I first saw the title. 10/28/11

new #243 Stalker - Watched Andrei Rublev a while ago and it was challenging. Been meaning to watch Solaris as well. 10/28/11

new Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - The series has been okay so far and I'll probably enjoy watching the characters progress. Two down six to go. 10/28/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 27, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Manhattan The other very famous Woody Allen film. Or so I'm told.

I wasn't a big fan of this but lots like it.

Just got it in Netflix yesterday:

Infernal Affairs - This was very similar to The Departed. Some aspects have been changed and then some other scenes are nearly verbatim. It's still entertaining however and the story interesting enough that I'd recommend people watch both at some point. Sometimes I hate American/Western remakes of films but both of these are capable of standing on their own. I think I prefer The Departed's ending over this one. And the alternate ending of Infernal Affairs would've been worse.

IMDb list:

#240 Patton - I've seen the opening shot and heard the speech before but nothing else. The opening seemed kind of ridiculous. 10/19/11

#241 Ip Man - This has been getting some good reviews. Thought it was some IT film when I first saw the title. 10/27/11

#243 Stalker - Watched Andrei Rublev a while ago and it was challenging. Been meaning to watch Solaris as well. 10/27/11

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - The series has been okay so far and I'll probably enjoy watching the characters progress. Two down six to go. 10/27/11

new #244 Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - Haven't seen too many Korean films. 10/27/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

4) Once Upon A Time In America- finishing up the "big" Leone films
5) Rififi- I've put this off long enough

Two truly excellent films. But you are right because Rififi has been put off way too long. Watch that one next.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Overall this was satisfactory (the second half more). Although the film did run a little long and had some filler. Malfoy is becoming a ridiculous paper character. I wish they would've written him out of the story or had him shift allegiance to Potter by this point. Maybe something happens in a later movie that makes his presence worthwhile but in this one it's just a waste of time.

Again a lot of it feels derivative of other works. This time Matilda, Evil Dead, Back to the Future and Lord of the Rings.

I hope further films don't open with Potter stuck in that Aunt/Uncle house again. I can't think of any other trilogy with such a stale retread opening for three straight films.

IMDb list:

#241 Ip Man - This has been getting some good reviews. Thought it was some IT film when I first saw the title. 10/27/11

#243 Stalker - Watched Andrei Rublev a while ago and it was challenging. Been meaning to watch Solaris as well. 10/27/11

#244 Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - Haven't seen too many Korean films. 10/27/11

new #246 Monsters, Inc. - I recall that this had lackluster reviews so seeing it on the top 250 is a surprise. 11/1/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

In the books it opens up for 7 books straight! But I think now only The Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows Part 1 the Durdsleys are in, and they both small cameos.

It's good news to me that they don't appear in all the films.