Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
meanmikhail, you watch The Searchers, though only because I haven't seen Fitzcarraldo yet. It's one of two westerns I've seen, and it's really good.

My shameful list, made even more shameful by the fact that I'm a goddamn film studies student:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation.

2. Fitzcarraldo - Saw Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, loved it, just saw Aguirre and loved Klaus Kinski, so this seems like a logical next step.

3. Taxi Driver, or any Scorcese, really - Also no excuse

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

6. Annie Hall - I've never seen a Woody Allen film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Just never saw it.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this.

And the most egregious...10. Star Wars. I didn't see it when I was a kid, and now I just really don't care. I feel like after Spaceballs, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and all the pop culture references and hullabaloo over the prequels, I already know everything I need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Just finished Raiders of the Lost Ark, and, to be honest, I'm lost as to why I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would. I mean, occultism and Nazis? Action sequences with a whip? Harrison Ford being all manly? It seemed like I would love this, but for some reason I was really underwhelmed. I might come back to it in a while and see if I was just in a weird mood watching it or something.

Anyway, the updated list:

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

My shameful list, made even more shameful by the fact that I'm a goddamn film studies student:

2. Fitzcarraldo - Saw Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, loved it, just saw Aguirre and loved Klaus Kinski, so this seems like a logical next step.

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Just never saw it. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this.

And the most egregious...10. Star Wars. I didn't see it when I was a kid, and now I just really don't care. I feel like after Spaceballs, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and all the pop culture references and hullabaloo over the prequels, I already know everything I need to know.

Also, Hellbunny, I'm torn between Seventh Seal and Jackie Brown, but since you're Swedish, go watch The Seventh Seal.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Just finished The Godfather, Part II, and...wow. I think I still like the first better, but while somebody else in the thread said that they found Michael's line boring at times, I was really sucked into just how low he ends up going. The last shots of Michael in the study just so perfectly illustrate the despair of the end of the film.

Updated list:

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Just never saw it. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this. Internal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, My Fair Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

Hellbunny, go see Jackie Brown.

edit: derp, maybe I should remember the name of films I mention

Vertigo Ambrosia fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 27, 2010

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm trying to imagine a hybrid of My Fair Lady and Farewell My Concubine but it's not working.

:downs: I don't even know how the gently caress I made that mistake...

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Codyclarke, watch The Godfather. From what I've heard, you can probably skip the third one though.

As for Star Wars, I blame my parents for not introducing this to me as a kid, because I couldn't even imagine seeing this without knowing anything else about it. Even knowing pretty much all of the plot, I was still sitting there excited like I was eight years old again. Space battles! Blasters! :swoon: Han Solo!

Anyway, my updated list:

quote:

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this. Internal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, My Fair Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Star Wars. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
marioinblack, you get to watch Do The Right Thing; it's pretty drat fantastic.

So, Annie Hall. I really liked the structure and the fourth wall breaking, and in general it was a really well done film, but I think Woody Allen's character kind of ruined it for me. Part of the charm of the film is that both Annie and Alvy are pretty drat flawed, but I found Alvy pretty unlikeable (though I do love his asides to the camera and almost anything he does in LA). I did love the scene when they're on Annie's balcony talking about film though; it was probably my favorite in the entire movie.

I feel like such a bad neurotic New Yorker for not loving this film. :(

quote:

6. Annie Hall - I've never seen a Woody Allen film. Badlands - I have never seen a Terrence Malick film.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, My Fair Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Star Wars. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
toro913, go see Written on the Wind. All That Heaven Allows is probably Sirk's most famous film, but I like Written on the Wind a lot better.

Just finished watching Taxi Driver, and holy poo poo that was amazing. I just loved the grittiness of it and the effect of the city on Travis' already shaky psyche.

quote:

3. Taxi Driver, or any Scorcese, really - Also no excuse Bullitt - I hear this Steve McQueen is a pretty cool guy... (thanks for reminding me about this, toro)

6. Annie Hall - I've never seen a Woody Allen film. Badlands - I have never seen a Terrence Malick film.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, My Fair Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Fitzcarraldo is so :unsmith:! It's beautiful and surprisingly uplifting, and you just can't help but root for Fitzcarraldo to suceed. I still can't believe that they actually moved a steamboat over a loving mountain. It was also realy nice to see Kinski in a less unhinged role.

As for marioinblack, go see Citizen Kane. I almost said Rear Window, but I just like Citizen Kane more.

quote:

2. Fitzcarraldo - Saw Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, loved it, just saw Aguirre and loved Klaus Kinski, so this seems like a logical next step. Solaris - The plot sounds really interesting, but I'm wary about the length.

3. Taxi Driver, or any Scorcese, really - Also no excuse Bullitt - I hear this Steve McQueen is a pretty cool guy... (thanks for reminding me about this, toro)

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

mikewozere posted:

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks Ilsa is a bit of a prick, though. She just seems to follow her whims and flit between the two, neglecting the consequences. Seriously, I hate her. I hope the plane she left on had engine trouble, there was only one parachute and Victor wrestled it off her. Bitch.

:psyduck: You do realize that the reason she started up with Rick is because she thought her husband was dead, right? I mean, really? If you think she's a prick for that, how the hell is Rick not a prick for, oh, I don't know, not giving a poo poo about Ugarte? Neither of them are perfect, and it's not as if Ilsa is some femme fatale.

On a less annoyed note, Peaceful Anarchy, I applaud you making it through Farewell My Concubine; I watched it for a class and almost left after the 40 minutes or so of rampant child abuse. I totally agree that as it goes on, things get more and more heavy handed. (Plus, I'm not really cool with a film that has a suicide rate of approximately 1 per hour.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
So, North by Northwest. I'm really ashamed to say that I wasn't into it at all until Thornhill goes to the art auction. I guess the tension in the first half of the film was dampened for me because they go and tell you that George Kaplan isn't real pretty early in the film. Once we learned Van Damm's name though, things got a lot more interesting for me, and became some drat good Hitchcock.

I also watched Bullitt last week, and I was pretty surprised by it. The car chase doesn't quite hold up over time (though it's still awesome, and I may be spoiled by watching too much Top Gear), but I really thought it was done well, and I really didn't expect it to end the way it did.

edit: Almost forgot! modestduty, go watch No Country for Old Men.

quote:

2. Solaris - The plot sounds really interesting, but I'm wary about the length.

3. Bullitt - I hear this Steve McQueen is a pretty cool guy... (thanks for reminding me about this, toro) Dog Day Afternoon - I almost put Serpico here, but after hearing about the plot, I feel like I really need to see this.

6. Badlands - I have never seen a Terrence Malick film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of. Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for not loving North by Northwest.

8. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Peaceful Anarchy, the only film on your list I know anything about is Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler, so there you go.

I thought Let the Right One In was a bit slow at first, but once it got going I realized how touching the relationship between Oskar and Eli is, and it's great to see a vampire movie that's about a bit more than vampires,

Updated list:

quote:

3. Bullitt - I hear this Steve McQueen is a pretty cool guy... (thanks for reminding me about this, toro) Dog Day Afternoon - I almost put Serpico here, but after hearing about the plot, I feel like I really need to see this.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of. Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance. Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
thegloaming, I have to admit I don't remember much about Rules of the Game besides that it uses deep focus, but it's really good.

Got around to Chinatown, and I completely loved it. I can't put my finger exactly on why at the moment, but it just really works. That, and it's absolutely beautifully shot.

As for my list:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation. Eraserhead - All I know is that it's David Lynch's first feature and it has a guy with freaky hair and a really disturbing baby.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of. Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

10. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance. Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
The Machine, the only movie I've seen on your list is Rear Window, but I'm going to make you see Blue Velvet and tell me about it.

As for The Player, I liked it well enough; some parts left me cold, but all of the writers and pitches and the general Hollywood feel was just done so well, and the scene in the police station is just hilarious. Stupid question though: does Altman do the conversations on top of each other thing in all of his films?

Anyway, my list:

1. Chinatown Eraserhead - All I know is that it's David Lynch's first feature and it has a guy with freaky hair and a really disturbing baby.

3. Bullitt Dog Day Afternoon - I almost put Serpico here, but after hearing about the plot, I feel like I really need to see this.

4. Sunset Boulevard - Another classic I haven't seen. (I replaced Imitation of Life because I realized that I don't like Sirk as much as I thought I did.)

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I caught For a Few Dollars More on Turner Classic last week and loved it, so I really want to see the first one.

7. North by Northwest Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. The Player Perfect Blue - I've never seen a Satoshi Kon film, and it seems right to see it now.

10. Let the Right One In Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Dog Day Afternoon was fantastic; I loved Al Pacino's performance, especially the two conversations on the phone with his wives. I was also really surprised by how maturely transgenderism was handled in a movie made in the 70s.

FancyMike, go see Breathless.

My updated list:

1. Chinatown Eraserhead - All I know is that it's David Lynch's first feature and it has a guy with freaky hair and a really disturbing baby.

3. Bullitt Dog Day Afternoon - I almost put Serpico here, but after hearing about the plot, I feel like I really need to see this.

4. Sunset Boulevard - Another classic I haven't seen. (I replaced Imitation of Life because I realized that I don't like Sirk as much as I thought I did.)

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I caught For a Few Dollars More on Turner Classic last week and loved it, so I really want to see the first one.

7. North by Northwest Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. The Player Perfect Blue - I've never seen a Satoshi Kon film, and it seems right to see it now.

10. Let the Right One In Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Mistletoe Donkey, you get Breathless. I would have given you The Searchers, but if you've never seen a John Ford western, I'd suggest Stagecoach first.

I thought Badlands was beautifully shot, but I couldn't really connect to the story. The style was just too detached for me, and while it's probably the point that I couldn't get into the characters' heads, without that it really fell flat for me.

3. Bullitt Dog Day Afternoon The Fountain - It's the only Aronofsky film I haven't seen, and he's one of my favorite directors.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I caught For a Few Dollars More on Turner Classic loved it, so I really want to see the first one.

6. Badlands Reservoir Dogs - I really like Tarantino, but I still haven't seen this.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
LtKenFrankenstein, watch Faust. I've only seen parts of it, but I love that whole era of German cinema, so I think you'll really like it if you liked Nosferatu.

So...uh...Eraserhead.

:gonk: :psyduck:

But seriously, I can definitely say that the lighting and sound were absolutely perfect; the lighting really helps that creepiness, and the constant wind and the amplification of sounds like the radiator and those puppies really added to that. As for the story, I noticed that the creepy "baby" reminded me a lot of how embryos look, so I was thinking that Lynch was going towards some commentary on life and birth and babies and parenthood, though I can't exactly make heads or tails out of that.

Onto more concrete things, my updated list:

1. Chinatown Eraserhead Goodfellas - Let's get more Scorsese in here.

3. Bullitt Dog Day Afternoon The Fountain - It's the only Aronofsky film I haven't seen, and he's one of my favorite directors.

6. Badlands Reservoir Dogs - I really like Tarantino, but I still haven't seen this.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Oh hey, I totally didn't take three months to get back to this thread...

Kull the Conqueror posted:

His Girl Friday: Appease my Cary Grant fetish.

Fetish appeased.

I really, really liked Goodfellas, in particular the wonderful tracking long takes. All three main actors are, of course, fantastic, and the music was spot on without calling too much attention to itself.

quote:

1. Chinatown Eraserhead Goodfellas Winter's Bone - I've been meaning to catch up on this for forever.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
TenSpadesBeTrump, the only one I've seen on your list is The Rules of the Game, so you're seeing that.

Solaris was a really beautiful film; the cinematography was fantastic. That being said, I really couldn't handle the slow pace along with the long runtime. I think that's more my dumbass fault though, as I wouldn't change a thing about it.

1. Chinatown Eraserhead Goodfellas Winter's Bone - I've been meaning to catch up on this for forever.

2. Solaris Any other Martin Scorsese film - I'm really beginning to like his films (especially his collaborations with de Niro), but I don't really know where to go next. (The ones I've seen are Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, and Shutter Island.)

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Punch Drunk Drewsky, I haven't seen anything on your list, but have something fun and watch Modern Times.

I don't know what I was expecting when I started Apocalypse Now, but I was both surprised and blown away. Of course, like every other war movie, there are scenes showing just how brutal and intense war can be, but Apocalypse Now has that creepy psychological unease that takes it to a complete other level.

1. Winter's Bone - I've been meaning to catch up on this for forever.

2. Mean Streets, Casino, or The King of Comedy - I'm really getting into Scorsese(and de Niro, for that matter), and I can't decide where to go next.

3. The Fountain - It's the only Aronofsky film I haven't seen, and he's one of my favorite directors.

4. Sunset Boulevard - Another classic I haven't seen.

6. Reservoir Dogs - I really like Tarantino, but I still haven't seen this.

7. Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. Perfect Blue - I've never seen a Satoshi Kon film, and it seems right to see it now.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end.

10. Network - Netflix tells me I would love this movie, plus, I want context to the quote that everyone knows.

Chinatown
Eraserhead
Goodfellas
Solaris
Bullitt
Dog Day Afternoon
Badlands
North by Northwest
The Player
Let the Right One In
Apocalypse Now

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Noxville, if you like Tarkovsky, I think you'll like Solaris.

King of Comedy was fantastic. I almost stopped twice because of secondhand embarrassment, but I was surprised how great De Niro is as Rupert Pupkin. I never took him for a comedic actor, but he makes Pupkin perfectly endearing and pathetic. It's funny though, because I read somewhere that people debated whether the ending was real or another one of Rupert's fantasies, but today it just seems so plausible (hell, people have gotten famous/infamous for even worse than kidnapping).

1. Winter's Bone - I've been meaning to catch up on this for forever.

2. Mean Streets or Casino - Yeah, I'm gonna stay on this Scorsese/De Niro train for a bit.

3. The Fountain - It's the only Aronofsky film I haven't seen, and he's one of my favorite directors.

4. Sunset Boulevard - Another classic I haven't seen.

6. Reservoir Dogs - I really like Tarantino, but I still haven't seen this.

7. Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. Perfect Blue - I've never seen a Satoshi Kon film, and it seems right to see it now.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end.

10. Network - Netflix tells me I would love this movie, plus, I want context to the quote that everyone knows.

Chinatown
Eraserhead
Goodfellas
Solaris
Bullitt
Dog Day Afternoon
Badlands
North by Northwest
The Player
Let the Right One In
Apocalypse Now
The King of Comedy

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Ixtlilton, watch Rubber because I want to hear about it.

I was just looking for this thread! Now that I'm mooching off a friend's Netflix I should get less lazy and start actually watching movies regularly.

The list:

1. Rosemary's Baby - I really liked Chinatown and would like to see more 70s Polanski.
2. Midnight Cowboy - Apparently a New York classic, something about gigalos?
3. The Bicycle Thief - I'll be completely honest; I tried to watch this once and got bored and wandered off. Stupid low attention span...:(
4. The Parallax View - I like 70s movies and conspiracies; how could I go wrong?
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - This is supposed to be really good, but also depressing. It sounds really interesting though (and has my crush of the moment Mark Ruffalo).
6. Upstream Color - I missed this in theaters! I'm kind of afraid I won't "get" it, but I've heard so many good things about it that I really shouldn't care.
7. Valhalla Rising - Another one I missed in theaters, and I've wanted to watch more Refn.
8. The Brother From Another Planet - I remember a professor mentioning this in college and I really like the premise.
9.Zodiac - I've wanted to see this since it came out and it's finally on instant! (also, Ruffalo)
10. Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry - I've heard really good things about this and I should probably actually watch documentaries.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Alfred, go watch The Conversation, because it is a good movie and somehow I don't remember John Cazale being in it?

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind really surprised me. The way Gondry shows memory and the erasure process is really great, but I was surprised by just how easy it was to get invested in Joel and Clementine's relationship. The bad memory scenes are intense, and the happy memories are touching without being cloying. The scientists were kind of irritating though, even though Elijah Wood and Kirsten Dunst's characters do actually turn out to be directly relevant to the story.

List of Shame:

1. Rosemary's Baby - I really liked Chinatown and would like to see more 70s Polanski.

3. The Bicycle Thief - I'll be completely honest; I tried to watch this once and got bored and wandered off. Stupid low attention span...
4. The Parallax View - I like 70s movies and conspiracies; how could I go wrong?

5. The Breakfast Club - It's never really interested me; not only do I feel like I already know it, but it just seems like a bunch of stereotypes discovering that oh my god we aren't so different after all! except they're really all just listless teenagers anyway. Also I think Molly Ringwald looks bratty and I know for sure that Ally Sheedy makeover is total bullshit. But everyone and their mother loves this film so I guess I should give it a try.

6. Upstream Color - I missed this in theaters! I'm kind of afraid I won't "get" it, but I've heard so many good things about it that I really shouldn't care.

7. Valhalla Rising - Another one I missed in theaters, and I've wanted to watch more Refn.

8. The Brother From Another Planet - I remember a professor mentioning this in college and I really like the premise.

9. Zodiac - I've wanted to see this since it came out and it's finally on instant! (also, Ruffalo)

10. Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry - I've heard really good things about this and I should probably actually watch documentaries.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
:sssh: Hey dregma, you forgot to give me a film from my list

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
The thing about The Breakfast Club is that it has a really good message that's completely mismanaged. The David Bowie quote at the beginning foreshadows a lot of heavy handed showing instead of telling; most of the dialogue, especially in the first half, is too on the nose, and Vernon is way too cartoonish of a character. There's a lot to be said about teachers who take their poo poo out on students and have a disgusting amount of disdain for them, and how the bad teachers can really get away with it because god teachers' jobs are hard and teenagers are monsters, but Vernon's confrontation with Bender in the closet is just ridiculous. Nobody actually says stuff like "nobody will ever believe you" or "don't make a fool out of me", they just do or say nasty things because the balance of power is already established.

It's not as if it entirely misfires; seeing how everyone arrives at school and what they have for lunch are great examples of when the film does show instead of telling, and Andrew and Brian's monologues are genuinely moving. Brian's story in particular is something that really hit home because while I've generally accepted that the media's idea of high school has really little to do with what I actually experienced, that was the exact sort of poo poo that I ran into. I can't say that anybody wanted to kill themselves because of their parents' pressure about their grades, but I knew people who were afraid of what their parents would say if they brought home a 94 instead of a 95. I knew people who wanted to kill themselves because of the atmosphere of my school (you all are little cheating grade grubbing shits who can't think outside of standardized tests and if you don't get it it's because you're not trying hard enough); hell, I wanted to kill myself in high school, and I knew someone who did kill himself. That monologue was something raw and real that resonated pretty deeply with me. And then the movie immediately cut to an 80s dance party. Not to say that most of the interludes of the kids loving around is bad, but there's such a mood whiplash that it's annoying and distracting.

I already knew I was going to hate Allison's makeover, and I'm sure it's been talked about to death so I won't harp too much on it, but I feel like her and Claire's issues were so lazily written compared to the others. I can't even recall if we knew why Claire got in detention. We kind of don't need to know with Bender since we see that Vernon might put him in just for breathing, and the fact that Allison is either so lonely she'd go to detention on purpose, lie, or both says something about her, but Andrew and Brian's confessions really tell us something about them and their status. There's a lot of talk about Claire being the popular girl, but I feel like instead of focusing on that, the film decides to focus on her prude/virgin/tease status. What's really frustrating is that Allison explicitly points out that it's complete bullshit...and yet then everyone still focuses on it. Her virgin/good girl status is focused on while the actual issues, the pressure of popularity and her feeling like a pawn in her friends' and parents' lives, fall to the wayside. Allison and Andrew hooking up after her makeover is frustrating, but I feel at least they had more of a healthy connection than Claire and Bender. It seems like in the end Claire's just sort of the prize for him; the first thing she does for himself is get together with him? Really? In general it really does bother me that most of the characters' arcs seem to be resolved by getting together with someone else.

List of Shame:

3. The Bicycle Thief - I'll be completely honest; I tried to watch this once and got bored and wandered off. Stupid low attention span...

5. 8 1/2 - The premise seems really self-indulgent, but it's also considered a classic by pretty much everyone.

9. Zodiac - I've wanted to see this since it came out and it's finally on instant! (also, Ruffalo)

Zogo posted:

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - I've heard this is the best of the series. I also know that Kirk screams "KHAN!" but I don't know why. 8/1/13

I'm biased because I'm a big Star Trek fan, but Wrath of Khan owns, go watch it.

edit: holy poo poo that's a lot of words about The Breakfast Club

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Ratedargh, Berberian Sound Studio is a really interesting film and it's also the only one I've seen on your list, so go try it out.

Man, Rosemary's Baby was really unnerving. Even before the Satan rape, there's something really off about everything in a way that I can't properly articulate. The sort of happy domesticity at the beginning seems like it belongs in a 50s technicolor film, so placing it in that ridiculously spacious yet sparsely furnished apartment makes it pretty creepy. And that's even before Rosemary's really isolated from anyone that could actually help her.

That apartment is ridiculously swanky though. Like, for the first half hour all I could think about was how loving rich Rosemary and Guy must be to afford it. Did you see those ceilings?

New list:

1. Oldboy - I'm interested in Spike Lee's remake, though I've heard great things about this for a long time.

5. 8 1/2 - The premise seems really self-indulgent, but it's also considered a classic by pretty much everyone.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I think my last rec was Wrath of Khan, but gently caress it: Copywright, watch Wrath of Khan. The episode that introduces Khan is called Space Seed, though I'm pretty sure the movie tells you all you need to know about that.

Midnight Cowboy was pretty great; I wasn't expecting all the great flashback/dream sequences, and it's interesting to see the "naive country person goes to New York, is overwhelmed" trope actually done well. Not to mention I always get a kick out of seeing sleazy Times Square; I'm way too young to know it as anything but glitzy, bright, and full of dumbass tourists. The New Hollywood era is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

Remaining shame:

1. Oldboy - I'm interested in Spike Lee's remake, though I've heard great things about this for a long time.

2. Sherlock, Jr. - Buster Keaton :3:

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I think it's time for you to see Nicolas Cage be a Bad Lieutenant.

I liked Zodiac, but not as much as I thought I would. It was totally gripping when the Zodiac killer was active and at large, but it kind of lost me when the focus shifted to Graysmith's growing obsession with the case. It's all technically superb - it's Fincher, after all - but the second half wasn't as compelling as the first.

Still shameful:

9. In The Mood For Love - I haven't seen much Chinese cinema and apparently it's the highest listed 21st century film on the TSPDT list

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Metropolis is completely amazing, go watch it.

Oldboy.

:stare:

I don't know what I was expecting, given the fact that I knew almost nothing about the film besides possibly gory and incest?, but I was just completely blown away. I guess it's because it seems like it's going to be a revenge film, but it's so much more than that. It's about broken people and how revenge consumes lives and a pair of tragic love stories along with it. I might have to check out more of Park Chan-Wook's films now.

Still shameful:

1. Broken Blossoms - I've never seen a D.W. Griffith film (with the exception of some of the racist half of Birth of a Nation)

9. In The Mood For Love - I haven't seen much Chinese cinema and apparently it's the highest listed 21st century film on the TSPDT list

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Dmitri Russkie, try A Beautiful Mind.

I have to admit, it actually took me more than one try to watch The Bicycle Thief in one sitting. Something about it just really didn't connect with me and I can't really explain it that well; from after Antonio's bike gets stolen until probably the scene at the arena where he tries to steal someone else's bike just kind of fell flat to me, like I was just kind of watching things happen. I did absolutely love the last twenty minutes or so, and I think if I watched it again, it'd be more interesting to think of it as a pretty bleak coming of age story for Bruno.

The list:

1. Broken Blossoms - I've never seen a D.W. Griffith film (with the exception of some of the racist half of Birth of a Nation)

3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I was supposed to watch this for a class, but I was already behind in watching things for that class and kind of never got around to it.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Zogo, I haven't seen any of the films on your list, so I guess I'll just pick at random. You get Ninotchka.

I watched 8 1/2 a week or two back and to be honest I'm not sure how I feel about it. As a look into the creative process it was really clever at times, especially when Guido sees something and it triggers an image he wants to use in his film, but I feel like the movie really gives a pass on being a total rear end in a top hat. I'm not even sure if that should really actually matter, but it's kind of hard to ignore; there are a few scenes late in the film that seem to pay lip service to the fact that Guido is a self-involved misogynist, but the ending just seems to brush that away.

Man, maybe I'm just not into Italian film or something :sigh:

I also watched Broken Blossoms a while ago. Lillian Gish is amazing; her little forced smile is just heartbreaking. It's unsurprisingly extremely heavy handed, though it is really weird to have a blatantly anti-racism film have one of its leads solely known as "The Yellow Man".

List of Shame:

1. Battleship Potemkin - I should probably see the entire thing instead of just that one part.

3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I was supposed to watch this for a class, but I was already behind in watching things for that class and kind of never got around to it.

5. Side Effects - I need to catch up on this year's releases as much as I can, and though I'm kind of wary of the subject matter, everyone seems to be in love with Soderbergh, so maybe I'll fall for it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Not every DC is actually what te director wanted; the Amadeus directors cut just had the deleted scenes shoved back in and Forman has said he had nothing to do with it.

Which really sucks because if I remember correctly, the DC releases don't even have the theatrical version; the only release I've been able to find is a goddamn double sided DVD.