Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TrixRabbi, you get the fantastic Annie Hall.

My first post in this thread, but it's about time I got to watching more of what I have lying around.

01) Grand Illusion - One of two absolute classics by Renoir that I really need to see.
02) The Mirror - Going through Tarkovsky films in order, this is next on the list.
03) La Dolce Vita - Seen and loved 8 1/2, and this is his next most celebrated.
04) Goodfellas - Not reeally that big on Scorsese from what I've seen so far, but this could change that!
05) Vertigo - It's #2 on the TSP top 1000 and I still haven't seen it.
06) Chinatown - I like noir, and I've yet to see any Polanski.
07) Boogie Nights - Managed to watch PTA's films in reverse order and this is next. From what I've heard it sounds like I'll love it.
08) Underground - I have a friend who really loves this, and Kusturica seems like an interesting director.
09) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Ben Braddock's stupid personality ruined The Graduate for me, so hopefully this will fare better. Sounds like my type of thing.
10) A Man Escaped - Will be my first Bresson, and this is arguably one of his most celebrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Schmuck, you can have Almanac of Fall, because Bela Tarr is great!

Chinatown was good, but I wasn't especially huge on it. I would have liked it to be more stylised, and it only started really gripping me towards the end of the second act. Fantastically bleak ending, though, and the screenplay is very, very good.

01) Grand Illusion - One of two absolute classics by Renoir that I really need to see.
02) The Mirror - Going through Tarkovsky films in order, this is next on the list.
04) Goodfellas - Not reeally that big on Scorsese from what I've seen so far, but this could change that!
06) City Lights - Looks like a fun place to start with Chaplin.
07) Boogie Nights - Managed to watch PTA's films in reverse order and this is next. From what I've heard it sounds like I'll love it.
08) Underground - I have a friend who really loves this, and Kusturica seems like an interesting director.
09) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Ben Braddock's stupid personality ruined The Graduate for me, so hopefully this will fare better. Sounds like my type of thing.
10) A Man Escaped - Will be my first Bresson, and this is arguably one of his most celebrated.

Seen: Chinatown

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Atheistdeals.com, go for Aguirre. I didn't like it at first but something like 3 watches later I think it's completely fantastic.

Goodfellas....I don't even know where to begin. I'm officially sold on Scorsese, that's for sure. I completely loved the fast, frentic, almost punk rock style of it; a complete departure from Taxi Driver (which I have seen, TrixRabbi, but wasn't a huge fan of - this was a couple of years ago, though, so I might like it more now). One of my new favourites.

04) My Neighbour Totoro - Looks sweet and fun, and I'd like to see more Miyazaki (loved Mononoke and Spirited, liked Nausicaa).
06) City Lights - Looks like a fun place to start with Chaplin.

Seen: Chinatown, Goodfellas

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

10. Princess Mononoke: I've been wanting to delve into Miyazaki a little bit more and I've heard this is a good one.

This is the film that got me into Ghibli/Miyazaki, so I gotta recommend it. Definitely one of his best.

I have a bunch of movies lying around on disc or my USB stick I need to get to, so I decided to partake in this thread for the first time in a very long time.

01. As Tears Go By: Got the WKW Criterion boxset so wanna go through it in order (I’ve already seen Chungking/Happy Together/In the Mood)

02. Beau Travail: Only seen High Life by Denis, which was pretty good! Picked the Criterion up on release.

03. Being There: This is just the third Criterion I picked up as part of a sale once. I don’t know a whole lot about it other than people compare the Dougie sections of Twin Peaks season 3 to it, and I absolutely loved all that poo poo

04. Branded to Kill: Watched Tokyo Drifter in Jan and loved it and apparently this is even crazier????

05. The Double Life of Veronique: I actually did watch this like a decade ago but remember almost nothing about it!!!! Irene Jacobs is cute though and I recently did a Three Colours rewatch. Oh my god I just realised I’m gonna have to put Dekalog on here eventually

06. F For Fake: This sounds great and I don’t know why I haven’t seen it but I just haven’t!!!! Owned on Criterion.

07. A Face in the Crowd: A few friends watched this at around the same time and all loved it so I picked the Criterion up. Seems like something I’d enjoy quite a bit.

08. Memories of Murder: Not seen any of Bong’s Korean films aside from Parasite and this seems like the best one to start with. I never heard anything about it until last year compared to The Host and Mother, but now it seems to be his most acclaimed 00s film?

09. Songs from the Second Floor: Picked up Artificial Eye’s Roy Andersson boxset recently. I remember adoring You, the Living when I saw it in 2008-9, but that’s my only experience with his work so far.

10. Ugetsu: Got really into watching the highest-ranked movies on the TSPDT 1000 list that I’d never seen at the start of the pandemic and burned out just before this, the last movie in the top 50 I still haven’t seen!!!! oops!!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

twernt posted:

8. Barry Lyndon (1975) This is probably the best Kubrick movie that I haven't seen. 03-30-2021

This was tough, but Lyndon's been on your list for long enough now I think, and god drat is it a beautiful movie.

Beau Travail

A really excellent example of the 'tone poem' style of filmmaking. The focus on bodies in motion was so gorgeous, with these militaristic training exercises and movements looking strangely beautiful. Obviously the central theme is repression and jealousy, and this is presented wonderfully - helped by the fact that Denis Lavant has one of the all-time best faces - but I also enjoyed how much the movie stressed that it's so bizarre that the Legion are even there in the first place. I found every shot involving the locals to be completely fascinating, especially when they're just watching the soldiers dick around. Gorgeous photography and use of the opera's score, striking editing, and one of the single greatest endings I've ever seen in a movie. My one issue is that I do think it became repetitive by the end, showing you the same variations on the central themes too often. I would have liked some more character development, particularly for Sentain, but then you run the risk of taking away from the centrality of Galoup's POV, I suppose. Didn't know about the Le Petit Soldat connection until afterwards but I found it incredibly funny that Denis just kind of added her own headcanon for a 40 year old movie by another director into the mix.

God that ending was SO loving good though. Really powerful and sad (at least the way I interpreted it).

Shame List:

01. As Tears Go By: Got the WKW Criterion boxset so wanna go through it in order (I’ve already seen Chungking/Happy Together/In the Mood)

03. Being There: This is just the third Criterion I picked up as part of a sale once. I don’t know a whole lot about it other than people compare the Dougie sections of Twin Peaks season 3 to it, and I absolutely loved all that poo poo

04. Branded to Kill: Watched Tokyo Drifter in Jan and loved it and apparently this is even crazier????

05. The Double Life of Veronique: I actually did watch this like a decade ago but remember almost nothing about it!!!! Irene Jacobs is cute though and I recently did a Three Colours rewatch. Oh my god I just realised I’m gonna have to put Dekalog on here eventually

06. F For Fake: This sounds great and I don’t know why I haven’t seen it but I just haven’t!!!! Owned on Criterion.

07. A Face in the Crowd: A few friends watched this at around the same time and all loved it so I picked the Criterion up. Seems like something I’d enjoy quite a bit.

08. Memories of Murder: Not seen any of Bong’s Korean films aside from Parasite and this seems like the best one to start with. I never heard anything about it until last year compared to The Host and Mother, but now it seems to be his most acclaimed 00s film?

09. Songs from the Second Floor: Picked up Artificial Eye’s Roy Andersson boxset recently. I remember adoring You, the Living when I saw it in 2008-9, but that’s my only experience with his work so far.

10. Ugetsu: Got really into watching the highest-ranked movies on the TSPDT 1000 list that I’d never seen at the start of the pandemic and burned out just before this, the last movie in the top 50 I still haven’t seen!!!! oops!!!!!

11. Harakiri: Insanely highly-rated basically everywhere, but I know almost nothing about it! I think it's a samurai film but I'm genuinely unsure!

Watched: Beau Travail

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

#60 Autumn Sonata - Two Bergman's for the price of one. 4/6/21

Note to everyone that if you have a Bergman on your list I will almost definitely pick it every time. This is a really good one, too, and one of my favourite Ullmann performances. Fun tidbit: it's also the last Bergman made specifically for a theatrical release.

Harakiri

A great deconstruction of the nonsense and hypocrisies in traditional honour codes. The story and structure were near-perfect, and it was gorgeously shot, with some striking visual symbols. While I wasn't totally sold on the pace being as slow as it was, each new story beat kept me enthralled, and the climax is truly fantastic. The way that Tsugumo and Kobayashi tear down the concept of ritual seppuku, and the clan's (apparent) rigid insistence on sticking to their code, is really satisfying. Definitely among the best Japanese films I've ever seen.

It was funny to go on the Criterion site after and see an interview about the video game Ghost of Tsushima taking reference from Kobayashi's films, as I was thinking about it basically the entire time I was watching. Anyone who's played it and is aware of this film will note how it follows the same basic theme - although it's far more rote and predictable in the game, as could be expected - and the combat was very clearly influenced by the Hikokuro duel. Despite the story of the game being a bit predictable, they clearly did their homework as far as making it look and feel just like the classic films about that era.

Shame List:

12. Mikey and Nicky: I'd never heard of this until last year when it started popping up all over the place. It sounds really interesting and I love me some Peter Falk.

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

8. Paris Is Burning (1990): Supposedly not about Paris?

Doing the opposite to you and assigning a short one hehe

Memories of Murder

If anyone ever needed any proof that Bong has always known exactly what he's doing you can't do much better than his second-ever feature already managing to be simultaneously grim and absurdly funny. At first it comes across as simply a darkly comic period piece about how woefully ill-equipped these detectives are to handle the concept of a serial killer, but as it goes on it becomes clear that it's far from just the police, but in fact the entire society. An excellent look at corruption (the casual nature of the torture of suspects just makes it even more shocking), impotence, and just general institutional dipshittery, with powerful yet subtle politics. Park, the lead detective, is an incredible character - this complete buffoon who values intuition and nonsense mysticism above any kind of actual police work eventually realising more than anyone just how out of their depth they are - and while the other main character, Seo, has a slightly more cliched arc, it's nonetheless very effective. Also there's a third detective who drop-kicks everyone, which is just fantastic.

I'm really not a police procedural person, so after a fantastic opening few minutes I wasn't totally engaged for a lot of the first act - I have the same problem with stuff like Zodiac, so it's absolutely my own personal blind spot. But eventually, as it gets deeper and broader thematically, and brings in even darker undertones without affecting the satire, I grew to really love what Bong was doing. Dude's a master, what more is there to say?

Shame List:

12. Mikey and Nicky: I'd never heard of this until last year when it started popping up all over the place. It sounds really interesting and I love me some Peter Falk.

13. Close-Up: First entry for a new bit "Films my best friends adore but I haven't bothered to see yet". Also obv one of the most acclaimed films ever that I'm yet to see and so on.

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest Foreign Language Films (98/100 completed):

#95 Floating Clouds - Not to be confused with Floating Weeds. 3/21/21

Let's get this list finished!!!

Being There

I didn't really know what this movie was about aside from the basic premise......turns out that's basically it. It's one joke, told over and over for two hours. Yet somehow, magically, it's funny every single time. Sellers' performance is astonishing, this master of farce being so incredibly toned-down in every single moment in a way that anchors the film extremely well. It's amazing how this movie could have gone wrong at any moment, becoming too ridiculous or annoying, yet stays the course throughout. Ashby's subtle and melancholy direction pairs perfectly with Sellers' performance to accomplish this - it's absolutely top-tier work from both of them. I guess I'm still having trouble putting my thoughts on this movie into words, but I found it to be very touching as well as hilarious, and a great depiction of how people are capable of seeing only what they want to. Some fantastic use of music and one scene towards the end I was NOT expecting at all that was fully :stare:. I liked this way more than I expected to.

Shame List:

13. Close-Up: First entry for a new bit "Films my best friends adore but I haven't bothered to see yet". Also obv one of the most acclaimed films ever that I'm yet to see and so on.

14. Schindler's List: The most well-known x acclaimed movie worldwide that I've never seen. I'm not the biggest Spielberg fan but I'm still not sure how I've managed to never catch this one.

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really liked the ending. And Sellers was just so good.

I always seem to kill this thread so badly lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

4. The 400 Blows: I'll be honest, for me Truffaut has always been the guy from Close Encounters. But this is an iconic film that I've heard about many times and never seen.

Definitely a classic movie, although maybe one that works better when you're younger/just getting into movies? Let's find out!

Schindler's List

Good to finally watch this after so long. I liked it a fair bit - certainly more than I expected - but it did have some pretty typical Spielberg melodrama stuff I wasn't into. The photography was beautiful, especially in 4K, and I really enjoyed the dual characterisation of Schindler and Göth. Some incredibly powerful sequences, especially the purging of the ghetto, and of course the amazing ending scenes, from Schindler's breakdown to the survivors, which I already knew about but it still hits really hard. That whole moment where a bus full of Schindler's female workers gets accidentally routed to the camp and herded in the showers and oh no will it be gas or water!!!!!!!!! oh it's just water thank god!!!!!!!! was, imo, really awkward and weird and out of place. Also, hey, Ms. Honey was in this!

I also watched Ugetsu to finish off the They Shoot Pictures top 50. I thought it was a little simplistic story-wise, but I really liked the visuals - extremely effective supernatural/creepy imagery, especially on the lake. Cool ending!

Shame List:
currently less than 10 so I can get some of these watched

15. Late Spring: Now finishing off the last few in the Sight & Sound top 50. Just in time for it to change next year! Only seen Tokyo Story from Ozu, but liked it a lot.

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 24, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turin Horse at the bottom? drat! Have you seen any other Tarr?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

#85 As Good as It Gets - The last film to win both the Best Actor and Best Actress Academy Awards. :eyepop: 11/4/21

I don't know a lot about this except for the cast and that it won a bunch of Oscars. I will learn through the medium of Zogo posting in the Shameful thread about it!

Branded To Kill

An unbelievably audacious pop-art sendup of Yakuza/crime films, with the usual archetypes twisted in bizarre and hilarious ways. The story itself is rote, but the details and twists give it so much life - from the literal ranking of hitmen to the bizarre rice fetish (the change from 'suave sex-having murderer' to 'weirdo who has rough sex with his wife while sniffing rice' is amazing, especially given the period it was made in) to the obsessive butterfly imagery around our femme fatale. I think I still prefer Tokyo Drifter slightly - it was a bit more dynamic and imo had better visuals - but this was consistently hilarious with a significant amount of moments that made my head spin. The third act is funny as hell and the ending is perfect.

Shame List:
currently less than 10 so I can get some of these watched

15. Late Spring: Now finishing off the last few in the Sight & Sound top 50. Just in time for it to change next year! Only seen Tokyo Story from Ozu, but liked it a lot.

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: I accidentally edited this instead of quoting it for my next post. anyway basically f for fake ruled and I’m a real stupid idiot

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 13, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thread revival time!!!!!!

Zogo posted:

#91 One Cut of the Dead - I've heard this is a creative one. 12/21/21

This movie is such a blast.

Videodrome

This was a really great movie that I wasn’t super into. Really smart plot with interesting themes and lots of cool turns, great visuals and effects (minus a couple dated ones - the pulsing tapes made me laugh a bit), and a fascinating, effectively creepy tone. But unfortunately it just didn’t connect with me how I like. It’s a shame, but it happens. Still extremely glad I watched it.

Shame List:

17. Double Indemnity: I love Wilder and I love noir but I haven't seen this one yet.

18. Brokeback Mountain: I think this is the most acclaimed American movie from the 21st century I have yet to see.

19. Stand By Me: Always expected I’d like this but never actually gotten around to it. Plus it’s such a key reference point for a lot of other things.

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill, F For Fake, Videodrome

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You add a new one every time you watch one, so your list is always 10. Although you can always do less than that if you really wanna make sure certain ones get picked, like I did when people picked my most recent addition literally twice in a row

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna watch Brokeback immediately just so I could pick Nashville for you but then I got busy :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Bambi - The Killing of a Sacred Deer Doe. I may have seen all of this when I was very young but I'm not 100% sure. Either way it'll be a fresh view or rewatch. 12/27/21

You're so close to becoming movie literate!

Brokeback Mountain

I knew so little about this I thought it was set in like, Deadwood times. I think I, for some reason, always assumed it would be more melodramatic, but it's extremely understated and tender, with incredible direction from Lee. The four main performances are all fantastic, but Ledger is easily the highlight: I'd never seen one of his quieter performances, but he was phenomenal. Excellent script too, with so much to say about repression, loneliness, and masculinity without being on-the-nose about it. A very moving and heartbreaking film.

Shame List:

15. Late Spring: Now finishing off the last few in the Sight & Sound top 50. Just in time for it to change later this year! Only seen Tokyo Story from Ozu, but liked it a lot.

17. Double Indemnity: I love Wilder and I love noir but I haven't seen this one yet.

19. Stand By Me: Always expected I’d like this but never actually gotten around to it. Plus it’s such a key reference point for a lot of other things.

20. The Thing (1982): And a million goon's jaws just dropped in shock. Yes, I've never seen this, but I recently bought the 4K disc, so now is the time!

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill, F For Fake, Videodrome, Brokeback Mountain

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

artichoke posted:

13. Yi Yi - it's on so many top 10/50/100 lists but I've never gotten to it.

Edward Yang is one of my favourites.

The Thing

Some very mixed and perhaps controversial feelings here. When I liked this movie, I loving loved it. Unfortunately, that was basically only any time the Thing was actually doing something creepy or killing someone, which is not as much of the movie as you might expect. The rest of it is largely really boring, under-developed characters being excessively dull. My assumption was that the paranoia element would make up for this, but I felt that it mostly stayed on kind of a tepid level until the last 25 minutes or so, at which point I'd already spend far too much of the movie being bored. I'm a character guy above all else, and this film didn't present me with characters I was interested in at all. I wanted to actually care whether this guy or this guy was possessed, and it just didn't happen. I feel like Alien, which has a similar style and set of characters, does a much better job at making them more interesting and having them all feel different with not a lot of screen time (plus it has interesting Giger imagery whereas this has like.....snow and buildings).

I can see why it's considered a classic - especially for the effects, which hooooly poo poo wow - but the ratio of loving amazing scenes to extremely uninteresting scenes was far too geared towards the latter for me. Does get some extra props for having the perfect ending, though, and it was worth watching for those few minutes from Cooper's arms getting bitten off to the legged head getting torched alone. God drat that was so good.

Shame List:

15. Late Spring: Now finishing off the last few in the Sight & Sound top 50. Just in time for it to change later this year! Only seen Tokyo Story from Ozu, but liked it a lot.

21. Rio Bravo: The highest-rated movie on the TSPDT 1000 I haven't seen. Not exactly a Western guy, but I like the two Hawks movies I've seen so far (admittedly they were both screwballs).

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill, F For Fake, Videodrome, Brokeback Mountain, The Thing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Wow. I've never heard or read anyone saying they didn't like The Thing. It's one of my favorite horror movies of all time but to each their own. That review just took me by surprise.

I mean it’s still like a 7/10 movie for me on the strength of the scenes I loved alone. I feel I did a pretty good job of explaining what I didn’t vibe with otherwise - the characters are just so bad, and that doesn’t matter to a lot of people, which is cool, but it does to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

#80 Sergeant York - A popular one about a WWI hero that I haven't gotten around to watching. 9/5/21

Sometimes you just gotta pick the movie that's been on someone's list the longest, y'know?

Close-up

This was one of the most fascinating and amazing movies I've seen in a really long time. The movie itself is very effective, especially the scenes where Sabzian is struggling to explain what he did, and the structure and climax are excellent. I especially liked how unsure it left me of what was or wasn't fact vs fiction.....which I only loved more after reading the Criterion article and realising the two are so intertwined and mixed up in every single scene and how Kiarostami himself basically hoodwinked everyone involved the same way Sabzian hoodwinked the family. I'm honestly still stunned - that was an incredible film that I should have watched years ago, so thoughtful and playful and powerful. I basically consider that Criterion article to be an essential part of the experience of this movie - I came out of it with my brain scrambled and wanting answers, and found that the answers only scrambled my brain further. Easily the best movie I've seen as part of this thread so far.

Shame List:

21. Rio Bravo: The highest-rated movie on the TSPDT 1000 I haven't seen. Not exactly a Western guy, but I like the two Hawks movies I've seen so far (admittedly they were both screwballs).

22. The Spirit of the Beehive: I've watched one friend's favourite movie, so here's a different friend's favourite movie!

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill, F For Fake, Videodrome, Brokeback Mountain, The Thing, Close-up

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Apartment is SO good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

RAN (1985) - the 4k UHD. There's a lot of Kurosawa I haven't seen, and this one is long.

I only watched this for the first time recently, and I loved it. One of the best and most visually stunning films of all time.

Rio Bravo

Very nice and relaxing movie good for a hangover or just a lazy afternoon. I liked it, but definitely wasn't enamoured with it. It seemed odd to me that the stakes were so high yet John Wayne goes over to the saloon like five different times to flirt with Angie Dickinson - also, eww. The characters were mostly excellent but the old man was super irritating it was almost painful at times. My least favourite film I've seen as part of this thread so far but still a good watch with cool characters and good Hawks dialogue.

I actually ended up watching almost every single film on my previous shame list before Rio Bravo on account of, like, not really being very interested in watching Rio Bravo. So here's an almost entirely new list!

Shame List:

- A Face in the Crowd: A few friends watched this at around the same time and all loved it so I picked the Criterion up. Seems like something I’d enjoy quite a bit.

- Double Indemnity: I love Wilder and I love noir but I haven't seen this one yet. Was waiting on the UHD but now it's here!

- All About Eve: I don't really know much about this one other than it's highly acclaimed and won a billion Oscars.

- Ikiru: Gonna keep a Kurosawa slot open for a while I think.

- The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie: My Bunuel knowledge is extremely lacking so let's fix that huh?

- Tropical Malady: Memoria was my first Joe and I loved it. This is also the highest-ranked movie on the TSP 21st Century list I haven't seen.

- The Turin Horse: Love love LOVE Satantango and Werckmeister but just. Haven't watched this. Have probably download it about six separate times at this point. And I just. Never watch it.

- Sans Soleil: Don't know a lot about this one other than it's by Chris Marker and I think it's a documentary?

- The Lives of Others: Another highly acclaimed 21st century movie I missed.

- My Winnipeg: An Ebert fave I've always been interested in. No idea what to expect.

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill, F For Fake, Videodrome, Brokeback Mountain, The Thing, Close-up, Rio Bravo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench posted:

2. Singing in the Rain (1952) (added 06-03-22): I'm simply not a musicals guy, but even I know this titan is practically synonymous with the genre.

Pretty freaking wonderful stuff.

Double Indemnity

It was obvious from the beginning that this was the quintessential film noir, with all the best staples on the genre - the incredible chiaroscuro lighting, the amazing femme fatale, the moral complexity. Absolutely loved the relationships between Walter and both Phyllis and Keyes, very layered and effective character work. My only minor issue was that, seeing how this was the originator of so many tropes, it didn't really have any surprises for me.....but that just meant I could spend more time appreciating the excellent filmmaking, writing, and performances.

Shame List:

- A Face in the Crowd: A few friends watched this at around the same time and all loved it so I picked the Criterion up. Seems like something I’d enjoy quite a bit.

- All About Eve: I don't really know much about this one other than it's highly acclaimed and won a billion Oscars.

- Ikiru: Gonna keep a Kurosawa slot open for a while I think.

- The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie: My Bunuel knowledge is extremely lacking so let's fix that huh?

- Tropical Malady: Memoria was my first Joe and I loved it. This is also the highest-ranked movie on the TSP 21st Century list I haven't seen.

- The Turin Horse: Love love LOVE Satantango and Werckmeister but just. Haven't watched this. Have probably download it about six separate times at this point. And I just. Never watch it.

- Sans Soleil: Don't know a lot about this one other than it's by Chris Marker and I think it's a documentary?

- The Lives of Others: Another highly acclaimed 21st century movie I missed.

- My Winnipeg: An Ebert fave I've always been interested in. No idea what to expect.

- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Not that into Westerns and it's very very long but obviously I gotta get to it eventually.
(note: it's been a little frustrating that at least four times in this thread already someone just picks the last thing I added, so please don't pick this one yet)

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill, F For Fake, Videodrome, Brokeback Mountain, The Thing, Close-up, Rio Bravo, Double Indemnity

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 1, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t forget to pick one of Zogo’s for him :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still have a BMF wallet too lol. I honestly find it a bit embarrassing now but hey it refuses to fall apart so I’ma stick with it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don’t need to post a new list until you’ve watched the last one you were assigned

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t like Westerns much but that’s also my top two for Altman. MacCabe is such an excellent movie

I really need to watch Ikiru :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think the intermission comes way too late. SOURCE: saw it in the cinema

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apocalypse Now Final Cut is almost the perfect cut but it still has the entire boring-rear end plantation sequence that adds literally nothing and just stops the movie dead in its tracks for 20 minutes right as it’s reaching the climax. Truly baffling decision

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it drove me loving insane that none of the lines in umbrellas of cherbourg actually rhymed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gummo is one of my favourite movies. It kicks so much rear end

I can’t even remember what I was given last but I’m pretty sure I watched it (maybe Ikiru?), maybe I should blurb it and make a new list just so I can pick True Stories for Wrench

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Conformist absolutely rules and is easily one of the most well-shot films ever made, like top 5-10 of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I personally would say absolutely! It’s not like this thread is busy enough that it would get in the way.