Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
OneThousandMonkeys -- I choose Chinatown for you, because it seems like you're going into it cold, which means you're going to like it all the more. Enjoy, and I can guarantee you will.

My list is shameful.

Berlin Alexanderplatz - love Fassbinder, but hugely intimidated by the time investment required.

Last Year At Marienbad - really didn't like Hiroshima Mon Amour, so I've avoided this one.

Inland Empire - I watch horror movies all the time, but I'm terrified by Lynch.

The Lady Vanishes - I have a Hitchcock set, but this isn't in it, so I've never done it.

Rules of the Game - effectively meaning I should be banished from CineD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I watched the pick from my list of shame last night. The Rules of the Game is, unsurprisingly, a great film. Echoing the sentiments of many who will use this thread as an excuse to watch films they would have otherwise glossed over, I'm left wondering why I waited this long.

There's been so much written about the film already but what I really took from it was the social/political commentary: portraying the elites as buffoons and the working class as buffoons trying to emulate the elites, the amazing camerawork for a film from the 30's (so very far ahead of its time), and overall I'm stunned considering the film in the context of what Hollywood was producing at the same time. I'm certainly a better film nerd for having seen it now. I believe that a rewatch (perhaps with the commentary on the Criterion DVD) will probably help me develop an even deeper appreciation for it.

Thank you VorpalBunny for picking the film from my list.

Here's my list as it stands now, with a few additions:

InfiniteZero posted:

Berlin Alexanderplatz - love Fassbinder, but hugely intimidated by the time investment required.

Last Year At Marienbad - really didn't like Hiroshima Mon Amour, so I've avoided this one.

Inland Empire - I watch horror movies all the time, but I'm terrified by Lynch.

The Lady Vanishes - I have a Hitchcock set, but this isn't in it, so I've never done it.

The Searchers - because I never really got into John Wayne, which I understand now as a mistake.

Solaris - The Tarkovsky original. I really enjoyed Stalker but I'm not sure if I can do another Sci-Fi film from him.

The Last Picture Show - I've only caught bits of this on TV, it looks fantastic.

Day For Night - No excuse really.

And Johnny Davidson -- I'm going to send you off to watch Rosemary's Baby. Is it like The Exorcist? Not really. There's some similarities in theme and style, but it is ultimately its own film. I'm recommending it because I'm always active in the horror threads here and it's a nice change of pace to recommend a scary film that's scary because it builds so slowly and develops dread rather than recommending a film where somebody's face is pulled off or whatever.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 3, 2010

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Slvbarek posted:

Oh, thank god. I thought it was just me. I love Truffaut to the max because I feel like he's in touch with humanity but Godard just feels weird and pretentious.

I mostly get the impression that Godard enjoys being an rear end in a top hat and luckily for him happens to be really good at it in an artistic way.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

bad movie knight posted:

Also, he can direct the best "two characters in an apartment" scenes ever. That always helps.

Not to mention the best lingering shots of Brigitte Bardot's naked rear end.

Bonus points for that because guess what? He did that to be an rear end in a top hat.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

LesterGroans posted:

Oh, and if I'm picking for Twin Cinema, watch Godfather: Part II. I love when people watch it for this first time, makes me envious.

Twin Cinema is a big fan of Dog Day Afternoon but has not seen The Godfather: Part II and the world will not be set right until this is corrected. Not only is it simply one of the best films ever made, it's another showcase for Pacino/Cazale. Such an amazing movie.

Also -- just want to randomly reiterate that Dog Day Afternoon is loving awesome.