Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cantskate43 posted:

Schindler's List- I have no doubts that this is an amazing film, however I just don't feel like being depressed for a while after watching it. Requiem for a Dream had me depressed for a few days after, and I suspect this one will hit me harder than it.

Schindler's List isn't really depressing. It's a character study of a savior. Some really screwed up things happen in the movie, but I wouldn't really call it a depressing movie because the screwed up things are there to provide a backdrop for what he was saving people from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Eh, there's no problem with the epilogue. Think of it like with Band of Brothers or The Pacific, it's not just to provide emotional heartstrings - it's to remind you that this is specifically not a fictional account and that these are real people. That's why he does them - when the stories are practically retellings, it's good to hammer home at the end that these people are here and now, and that it's not just fiction - as you tend to think of them too much as just "characters" when watching a film.

The Jews were specifically not played as innocent, either. The religious lines you speak of tend to blur when everyone is fighting for their life - ie. how several african tribes got along when first thrust into slavery, and then sectionated again after they got "used" to their new position in life. And it specifically showed their humanity, being choosers until they were complete beggars, and still refusing others shelter and such in stressful situations. It's just, in survival situations such as a liquidation or concentration camp, people do tend to come off as more "good" when on the short end of the stick, since they are essentially forced into being children/cattle.

Goeth tortured people daily and supposedly shot over 500 Jews personally, so, if anything, he was downplayed some.